PDA

View Full Version : Leia shot first!!!

darthvyn
06-03-2010, 09:43 AM
so, i was watching ANH with my daughter the other day and realized something: while han's altercation with greedo may have been altered to make greedo shoot (the wall) first in order to soften han's character even though it was obviously a situation where he HAD to shoot first and was in mortal danger, PRINCESS FREAKIN' LEIA shoots AND kills a stormtrooper basically in cold blood EVEN AFTER THEY SET THEIR WEAPONS TO STUN AND VERBALLY SAY THEY WERE DOING SO!

sure, she was in danger of being caught by the empire, but she wasn't in danger of being killed right then and there. she must have had a 'stun' setting on her gun, though the one shot she pulls off before being stunned herself wouldn't have netted her much more of a benefit at 'stun' as it would at 'kill'. she could've shot the wall of the corridor she was in, sending sparks flying the way it did throughout the battle on the tantive IV, thus masking a quick getaway, but instead she just "up and murdas a troopa like it ain't no thang".

i ask you - if han's altercation was changed in order to change the disposition of his character, how does this shed new light on leia's character in your eyes? and george lucas' vision of the character, since he didn't have the strormtroopers shoot with their blasters set to 'kill' first, then say 'set to stun'?

Darth Metalmute
06-03-2010, 10:38 AM
It's possible that from where Leia was, she couldn't hear the Stormtrooper tell the others to set for stun.

Also, she probably understood that capture would mean torture, which in some cases is worth than death.

JimJamBonds
06-03-2010, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't call it cold blood. She knew they were after her and had weapons in their hands. Yeah she shot first but it wasn't in cold blood.

TeeEye7
06-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Empire captures ship, breach door, kill rebel crewmen, kill captain of ship.....I think Leia was justified in attempt for self-preservation given all that.....

darthvyn
06-03-2010, 12:08 PM
she comes from alderaan, a peaceful planet that has no weapons, and instead of firing over their heads or blasting the wall in order to make them duck for cover while she made good her escape, she puts a hole in a dude's chest and gets captured anyway. if they had her that dead-to-rights, she should've just surrendered the peaceful, alderaanian, way (which she also invokes as a reason to not blow up the planet later - i guess payback really is a b**ch... you shoot my strormtrooper, i blow up your planet!).

DarkJedi5
06-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Question is why did she fire once and then run? Clearly there are three of them and she has cover. Why not rip off three shots and then run for it?

El Chuxter
06-03-2010, 01:43 PM
She's a stone cold gangsta, yo.

RoonStones
06-03-2010, 02:19 PM
A "revision" GL overlooked. Great. Now we can be sure the next DVD/BR release of the trilogy will include this.

There's also the scene where Han shot first when they infiltrated the Death Star control room over the hangar bay.

And Luke almost shot first on Dagobah. And in Jabba's palace.

JimJamBonds
06-03-2010, 11:39 PM
She also had no problem gunning down that Stormie on Endor who told her and Han to put their hands up.

2-1B
06-04-2010, 12:24 AM
and that time in ESB when she shot her mouth off at Lando.

TeeEye7
06-04-2010, 04:09 AM
she comes from alderaan, a peaceful planet that has no weapons, and instead of firing over their heads or blasting the wall in order to make them duck for cover while she made good her escape, she puts a hole in a dude's chest and gets captured anyway. if they had her that dead-to-rights, she should've just surrendered the peaceful, alderaanian, way (which she also invokes as a reason to not blow up the planet later - i guess payback really is a b**ch... you shoot my strormtrooper, i blow up your planet!).

Maybe she was having an LSD flashback and thought the guy was Rick McCallum.

JEDIpartner
06-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Leia is the queen of the galaxy. The end.

Turambar
09-06-2010, 04:33 PM
lol, just digging up an old post. I was watching ROTJ today and noticed that Luke presumably kills the 2 gamorreans as he enters Jabba's palace for no reason other than getting in his way. So, Leia kills after hearing that the stormies are using non-lethal force, Luke kills gamorreans in a vaderesque fashion, and Han (in original version) gets the drop on a villain just before he is shot. Which is the worst offense?

darth maul rat
09-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Well, they never actually say he kills the Gammos. They may have just passed out. It would be bad form to go into Jabba's palace to negotiate and the first thing you do is kill his underlings.

An old friend of mine claims Vader didn't kill any of his officers. If you watch after he kills Needa and the two officers pick Needa up, his legs appear to still be under their own strength, implying he is merely semi-conscious. I claim it's just a screw-up and the Needa is supposed to be dead.

-dmr

tagmac
09-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Didn't you see Robot Chicken? They explained perfectly well that the officers just fake their deaths so as not to be really killed by Vader's lightsaber. Just get a change of clothes, add a moustache, and presto! :D

JEDIpartner
09-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Well, they never actually say he kills the Gammos.

He made them choke on the ham sandwiches they were enjoying on their break before he showed up. :sad:

JimJamBonds
09-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Well, they never actually say he kills the Gammos. They may have just passed out. It would be bad form to go into Jabba's palace to negotiate and the first thing you do is kill his underlings.

I agree, that doesn't sound like Jedi 'behavior.'

JEDIpartner
09-22-2010, 10:53 AM
I like the Marvel adaptation of ANH where the Stormtroopers shoot Leia in the boob and it goes "Fsssssst!" like it's deflating. :p

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-24-2010, 04:24 PM
With Luke in ROTJ, it's supposed to show that he's in danger of going too close to the Dark Side. With the deleted scene shown at CV, of Vader beckoning him before showing him looking very much like the Emperor, this would have been even more obvious.