PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever freeze your action figures?

JediTricks
06-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Especially after seeing ESB and ROTJ, when I was a kid I used to freeze all my figures. I'd put them in clear cups and glasses, fill them with water, and put them in the freezer. This I found fascinating. I don't even remember extracting them from the freezing process, in fact I think I left 1 in the freezer for months at a time it was so nifty. I think I knew it was wrecking the paint and joints, but it was too interesting to avoid freezing them.

Come to think of it, just now I remembered too, after seeing ESB, I remember playing in the freezer frost as if it were Hoth. Growing up in SoCal, that was the only snow action we were to enjoy. I think it was a lot of Star Wars and GI Joe guys in the freezer having arctic adventures. Thankfully, my grandma had an old freezer that didn't self-defrost. :p

So, anybody else freeze their action figures as a kid?

El Chuxter
06-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Yes, but not for longer than a day. Except for the Ugnaught I took out in the snow and found several weeks later.

Nowadays, I freeze only to loosen the glue for customizing.

mabudonicus
06-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Not as a kid, tho I had an Iceman figure in the early-mid 90's that was clear with some goofy frosting on him that you had to put in the freezer to make the frosting stuff turn blue
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
Someone stole him from my appartment for some reason

El Chuxter
06-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Now that you mention that, I seem to recall a few other figures that required cold water for a color change, and I'd stick them in the freezer for a few hours to get a really noticeable change. I can't for the life of me think of who those figures were, though.

mabudonicus
06-09-2010, 03:59 PM
There was an invisible woman toy from some "happy meal pack in" type thing several years ago that used the "technology" as well, but I am drawing a blank on any more
Nope, still nothing

DarkJedi5
06-09-2010, 04:23 PM
I used to freeze my figures all the time as a kid. Han Solo was naturally a favorite but also Stormtroopers, Greedo, anyone was fair game. I used to play with them in the pool too. Bet you never thought an x-wing would make for a sweet submarine! Though these were all pretty hard on the figures, fortunately I was only using the POTF2 stuff so I don't really have any regrets since those figures haven't held up that well over time anyway.

2-1B
06-09-2010, 10:01 PM
I once froze my Jabba, then dropped him on accident and his arm broke...it definitely made him too fragile.

I was a HUGE fan of playing with my figures in the pool, I'd ask my mom to "get my Star Wars guys" and she'd throw them in the pool for me to watch them sink, then I'd swim around and collect them. Doesn't sound like fun now, but man I had a blast doing that. Dengar sucked because he floated (I'm not making a joke in this post, I'm serious).

Chlorinated pool water is definitely not good for the paint jobs but I didn't care. lol

InsaneJediGirl
06-10-2010, 12:03 AM
I once froze my Jabba, then dropped him on accident and his arm broke...it definitely made him too fragile.

I was a HUGE fan of playing with my figures in the pool, I'd ask my mom to "get my Star Wars guys" and she'd throw them in the pool for me to watch them sink, then I'd swim around and collect them. Doesn't sound like fun now, but man I had a blast doing that. Dengar sucked because he floated (I'm not making a joke in this post, I'm serious).

Chlorinated pool water is definitely not good for the paint jobs but I didn't care. lol

I did the same. I actually would take my small little pirate Lego boats into the water as well. They float and as a kid, a pool is as big as an ocean and the deck their island....

Star Wars figures often took a dive, but when I noticed the chlorine really messed them up more than Legos I had to stop.

TeeEye7
06-10-2010, 03:11 AM
So, anybody else freeze their action figures as a kid?

Absolutely! In fact the practice was handed down to my son using Jar Jar! :whip:

Lord Malakite
06-10-2010, 03:12 AM
There was an invisible woman toy from some "happy meal pack in" type thing several years ago that used the "technology" as well, but I am drawing a blank on any more
Nope, still nothing

You are probably thinking the Invisible Woman kids meal toy from the original Fantastic Four movie Burger King promotion back in 2005. I only remember it because it was the promotion that followed the first batch of Burger King Star Wars Super-D toys.

Several versions, though not all, of Ray Fillet (from the original TMNT toys line) had a color change feature. The POTF2 Commtech Stormtrooper has one. A few of the Real Ghostbuster figures may of had it as well (for ectoplasm slime).

JediTricks
06-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Not as a kid, tho I had an Iceman figure in the early-mid 90's that was clear with some goofy frosting on him that you had to put in the freezer to make the frosting stuff turn blue
Someone stole him from my appartment for some reasonI had that figure back in the day, he came with a snowboard (literally!). I wasn't a fan of the color-change gimmick, but I did dig clear figures.

I used to freeze my figures all the time as a kid. Han Solo was naturally a favorite but also Stormtroopers, Greedo, anyone was fair game. I used to play with them in the pool too. Bet you never thought an x-wing would make for a sweet submarine! Though these were all pretty hard on the figures, fortunately I was only using the POTF2 stuff so I don't really have any regrets since those figures haven't held up that well over time anyway.X-wing in the pool? Did you take the batteries out first? The POTF2 version had electronic sounds. I used to crash my ESB battle-damage X-wing in my turtle's tank as a wee lad. Ruined the stickers, and probably didn't do much good for the turtle, but it was pretty fun to reenact the Dagobah crash.

I did the same. I actually would take my small little pirate Lego boats into the water as well. They float and as a kid, a pool is as big as an ocean and the deck their island....

Star Wars figures often took a dive, but when I noticed the chlorine really messed them up more than Legos I had to stop.Did you use the LEGO boats that had specialty piece hulls, or regular Lego-brick boats? I used to make Lego brick boats and they'd float in the tub, but usually it'd float funny because only some of the bricks were sealed from the water, eventually it'd sink and then the bricks would be all full of water for weeks at a time.

mabudonicus
06-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Malakite- yep, that's the one, I got it for a dime at a thrift shop since it is in scale to a few other goofy figures I have

JT- yeah, the "snow board" was really crappy, and the "colour change" feature stunk too, but same as you, my rationale was "but he's CLEAR!!!"

Clear figures both suck AND rock at the same time

JediTricks
06-10-2010, 04:11 PM
At the time, I was a big fan of Toy Biz's Marvel lines, so it didn't matter to me how crappy the figure was. That said, I am pretty sure that Iceman was one of the few figures I never froze. :p

DarkJedi5
06-10-2010, 04:28 PM
X-wing in the pool? Did you take the batteries out first? The POTF2 version had electronic sounds. I used to crash my ESB battle-damage X-wing in my turtle's tank as a wee lad. Ruined the stickers, and probably didn't do much good for the turtle, but it was pretty fun to reenact the Dagobah crash.

'Fraid I crash landed it on Dagobah a few too many times and the electronics ceased to work. After that I really got to crash land it into the pool!

InsaneJediGirl
06-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Did you use the LEGO boats that had specialty piece hulls, or regular Lego-brick boats? I used to make Lego brick boats and they'd float in the tub, but usually it'd float funny because only some of the bricks were sealed from the water, eventually it'd sink and then the bricks would be all full of water for weeks at a time.

I used the specialty piece hulls. They floated much easier in the pool. However, if there were bricks or figures on the boat, you could find water in the pieces forever, so I don't think it mattered.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Freezing figures? Not that I can recall. In the pool or bathtub? Quite often (one of my Boba Fetts has almost no paint on it at all, and Walrus Man's "gloves" came off, too [meaning the paint wore down]).

How to simulate Hoth? Why, play in the white, chalky diatamacious earth behind my above ground pool, of course! To simulate Dagobah? Flood the bark chips planter with muddy water (fun with 2-1B when you took out his breathing tube and let the muddy waters fill him up). Simulate Tatooine? In SoCal; all too easy.

JediTricks
06-11-2010, 03:49 PM
'Fraid I crash landed it on Dagobah a few too many times and the electronics ceased to work. After that I really got to crash land it into the pool!Haw! That sucks, but not entirely surprising, I've been there. What about the stickers? Did they come off? That one was covered in some pretty nice stickers, actually, and I'm sure they were probably worse off than my turtle-tank ESB version. :p

I used the specialty piece hulls. They floated much easier in the pool. However, if there were bricks or figures on the boat, you could find water in the pieces forever, so I don't think it mattered.Ah yeah, that makes sense. I built a few boats that were specifically designed to be submarines after watching them slowly sink, because I never used specialty hulls. And I'd find water months later sometimes. Water in the minifigs is the worst, I think it causes the joints to split.

Freezing figures? Not that I can recall. In the pool or bathtub? Quite often (one of my Boba Fetts has almost no paint on it at all, and Walrus Man's "gloves" came off, too [meaning the paint wore down]).

How to simulate Hoth? Why, play in the white, chalky diatamacious earth behind my above ground pool, of course! To simulate Dagobah? Flood the bark chips planter with muddy water (fun with 2-1B when you took out his breathing tube and let the muddy waters fill him up). Simulate Tatooine? In SoCal; all too easy.Eww, that white earth stuff by the pool was so gross, I'd play in bushes and mud and grass, but not that stuff.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Eww, that white earth stuff by the pool was so gross, I'd play in bushes and mud and grass, but not that stuff.And I'm sure it has had no effect on my Xsj1khfv6sagh4UG%V~U43c>df at all. :sleeping:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-11-2010, 06:55 PM
I don't think I ever froze anything, and I had a number of bathtub toys, but nothing SW. I've always been fairly good with my toys and other possessions, rarely losing or breaking anything. I can recall, however, making the 1995 C-3PO's joints loose, due in part (I think) to wrapping him up with yarn and throwing him down the stairs with it attached. :D

I also don't think I played with them outside much, if at all. Indoor toys stayed indoors, and outdoor toys were played with outdoors. Though the combination of fresh snow and the new AT-AT might be just a bit tempting. :D

Tycho
06-12-2010, 03:33 AM
Geeze. Freezing figures? Really?

This completely erases their fresh-new-plastic smell!

Warning to all Mouse Droid Sniffers Association Members here: do not try this at home.

I have several good recipes for those of you who would like to eat your action figures after sniffing them - and boiling them is fine as well (it's also the preferred way to losen up figures for customizing as they won't become so brittle and break).

But there might be one exception: I think it would be awesome to freeze the Ice-Cream-Maker-Guy (Wilrow Hood) in strawberries-and-cream or Cherry-Garcia for you Ben and Jerry's fans out there, and then consume your action figure with all the appropriate frozen flavoring.

In the same manner, the TaunTaun guts might work as chewing gum, but I've personally tried this and the flavor doesn't last very long. (Chocolate or coffe ice cream is better with the TaunTaun guts but making them brown is also fun because you can do this at outdoor parties and then pretend you're picking it up off the beach or the lawn and people think you're eating dog turds! :thumbsup:)

JediTricks
06-12-2010, 03:26 PM
And I'm sure it has had no effect on my Xsj1khfv6sagh4UG%V~U43c>df at all. :sleeping:I was going to make a joke about asking your wife, but in retrospect, it was too cheap.

I can recall, however, making the 1995 C-3PO's joints loose, due in part (I think) to wrapping him up with yarn and throwing him down the stairs with it attached. :DWhaaaaa??? Like a C-3PYo-Yo?

I also don't think I played with them outside much, if at all. Indoor toys stayed indoors, and outdoor toys were played with outdoors. Though the combination of fresh snow and the new AT-AT might be just a bit tempting. :DYou really missed out, outdoor action figure play was the best when I was a kid! Playing with your star wars guys in the bushes and grass was so cool. GI Joe was actually better though.