PDA

View Full Version : Pics of NEW JEDI ORDER Diorama: Dark Tide - Onslaught!

Tycho
06-13-2010, 06:44 PM
Here's a picture from Michael Stackpole's Dark Tide series from the book ONSLAUGHT!

Jedi Master Luke Skywalker appears to rescue his nephew and apprentice Jacen Solo from the clutches of the Yuuzhan Vong!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-13-2010, 08:33 PM
I didn't know they went to Pandora - and during a sandstorm, no less. :p

El Chuxter
06-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Luke looks short next to Jacen, which is funny, 'cause Jacen is a short figure. Nice choice of beasts for the mutated vronskrs (what were those called?).

You need to give Luke a second saber, though. And what made you use Jedi Luke as opposed to the NJO Luke?

Tycho
06-13-2010, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE=El Chuxter;728403]Luke looks short next to Jacen, which is funny, 'cause Jacen is a short figure.

But Luke is supposed to be shorter anyway (I was taller than Mark Hamill when I met him). Jacen is Han Solo's son, so the height comes with that.

Nice choice of beasts for the mutated vronskrs (what were those called?).

I forgot. I'd have to look it up. However, I'd assume Hasbro will never make the mutated vronskrs - they don't even make Talon Karrde's normal sized ones (think large dogs).

You need to give Luke a second saber, though. And what made you use Jedi Luke as opposed to the NJO Luke?

Luke only was using two sabers when he had Jacen's. Once Jacen was freed from the Embrace of Pain, he needed a weapon and Luke tossed him his lightsaber.

I really don't see Luke wearing much clothing other than black on missions. The NJO box-set Luke (and I have 2, one not even currently being used) was typically worn on Yavin IV when Luke was instructing Jedi learners. I don't care for the outfit all that much anyway. There was a gray outfit, actually two - one more similar to an Imperial officer's, and the other more like a reverse of his familiar ROTJ outfit, but gray with a black vest, both of which were much better looking on him.

With the Tatooine sandstorm cloak on, he looks like he appears in the NJO Invasion comics and you can't see Luke that well as he should have graying hair and look like he's in his 50's. He still does use his ROTJ lightsaber however.

It's crazy that this scene looks good to me with 3 Yuuzhan Vong. I bought 11 of them now (thinking I'd need 15 between various scenes) and using less turns out to look better. Adding the mutant vronskyr also helps a lot. I don't believe the 'Vong had bio-engineered these creatures yet at this early point in the war - but it looks good and Jacen fought at Luke's side at other times than just the one described in Onslaught - but that was a really memorable scene.

(I have Jaina figures, but she was not there during this fight.)

El Chuxter
06-13-2010, 11:26 PM
Slightly off-topic, but do you have any idea when or where Luke used the lightsaber he made with the crystal from Mimban? It was mentioned that he made such a lightsaber in The Essential Chronology (or maybe the updated version), but I have no idea when this would've happened.

Tycho
06-14-2010, 05:25 AM
Mimbam sounds like the source may have been Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

But in the Marvel comics when Luke encountered the transformed Luminaya, he had also built a second mini-saber out of necessity. I don't know if he kept it or what planet he was on when this story occured, but it's in the comic that the 2-pack is accompanied with.

DarkArtist
06-14-2010, 09:45 AM
nice display Tycho... i love the Pandora creatures in the scene as well... i was thinking of getting a few of the Pandora sets as well for some displays but most of the stock in the stores by me is completely sold out. oh well.

awesome work though.

I agree on the NJO Luke, while i like the figure I would rather have had a different Luke made, maybe the version from Legacy of the Jedi Inferno... that ouotfit looks cool.

Tycho
06-14-2010, 02:17 PM
I bought 2 of the Pandora (Avatar) creatures for use with Star Wars.

I found them through Amazon.com - but one actually came through Amazon from the seller - Target! (yeah Target.com). ToysRUs and EntertainmentEarth has these as well.

The "hound of hell / cat / wolf-like hunter" you see here, and the darker, smaller flying beast.

The flier will be used on Utapau for an Utai to ride. They had winged beasts and animals like Boga in the sinkholes for their service.

I'm going to poll for those in my beast poll series.

I also bought the colorful red and yellow giant flying beast from Avatar, but this goes with my only two other Avatar figures of Jake and Niyitri (spelling) as this was such an amazing movie, I wanted those two.