PDA

View Full Version : who opens?

fourtwo
03-01-2002, 01:31 AM
so tell me...who opens there toys like a real kid should and who leaves them in the boring packages?

i open mine, incase you couldn't figure it out :) , although latley i've been trying to acquire a second one of some of the ones i like the most

Battle Droid
03-01-2002, 04:09 AM
I open everything, I don't have one single thing unopened.

JEDIpartner
03-01-2002, 09:53 AM
I open all my toys. Sometimes I can't even wait to get them home!!! I only have a couple that I haven't opened because they are duplicates of ones I already have... like Holo Sidious and R2-B1.

Obi-Don
03-01-2002, 10:01 AM
Me I have one of the things in my collection. Yes I open,thats what they are for.If I didn't want to be able to touch them. I would just go to the store and just look at them. I collect for me,not to make money later on in life. Heck,I might not be here tomorrow so I enjoy them to day.

mrhat
03-01-2002, 10:09 AM
I open them all, i only have 2 in a package, R2 Holo Leia, and original ESB yoda. Wow, a whole 2. But i think it saves space, and it is much more fun that way.

xboywonder
03-01-2002, 10:18 AM
I used to keep them all in the package for some crazy reason... then one day I decided "what the heck..." I opened them and man - what a difference !! I'm like a changed man - now I only collect what I like, instead of buying everything with the SW logo on it and trying to perserve it like the Hope Diamond.

Collecting is a lot more fun when you make it fun. My advice to the none opening sort... OPEN A FEW - it'll change ya !!

InsaneJediGirl
03-01-2002, 11:07 AM
I open all my action figures display/play with 'em.However,I
dont open promo items(i.e.TacoBell Toys) since they dont have
much play value.

JetsAndHeels
03-01-2002, 11:28 AM
My collection is a mixed bag.
Alot of the POTF2 stuff I have is opened, but from EP1-POTJ everything is carded. I am talking ALOT of toys (Also EU, SOTE, Flashback, Freeze Frame, etc).
I am upto my ears in carded figs and I must admit there are alot I want to open. The ones I really like I buy multiples of to open and keep carded.
I am NEVER going to get rid of my collection, but there is something about a SW fig in its card that I love.
But dont get me wrongo, I love opening them and playing with them too.

LTBasker
03-01-2002, 12:15 PM
I do both, I like to try to get 2 of each so I can admire the same thing loose and boxed at the same time. :)

I play with my loose figures of course, who can't??? :crazed:

Wolfwood319
03-01-2002, 12:25 PM
Of course I open! How are you supposed to play with them when they're in the packaging?

Beast
03-01-2002, 01:14 PM
Gotta open everything, only things I currently have carded is my trade bait figures, and my carded/boxed Jar Jar Binks collection. I have to free those poor figures from their restrictive packaging and mess with them a bit. Build mini diorama's and just enjoy the quality of some of these figures in a way that's impossible on a card.

After all, whats cooler...Dagobah Darth Vader on the card, or off where you can pop his face plate or head off, and really admire the excellent work that was put into it and some of the other figures. Most arn't going to be worth anything, even in 20 years, so there is no real sense not to enjoy them. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JetsAndHeels
03-01-2002, 01:28 PM
JarJar,
Do you open sets, like cinema scenes and the like?
I know that you open your vehicles.

Jargo
03-01-2002, 01:37 PM
I started off opening everything until my partner got irate that I was just hoarding dust collectors. So then I bought everything again to keep carded. Then I discovered that my collection had outgrown the room at my disposal so I had a mega opening fit and ripped those cards apart. I now have lots of doubles for customising and those that unfortunately got damaged by light :rolleyes: before I redid my room with thick curtains.
I have thirty commtech stormtroopers in my docking bay diorama that would have looked stupid on their cards so now I play with them. Everything is fun again. Especially bringing a couple downstairs to play with while I type messages here. I get told off for leaving toys lying around at 34. That's very funny HAHAHA!:D

I love ripping vehicles out of their boxes and I especially love ripping hard to find items like those pit droid pack in figures and the Eopie that I got three of in a mega cool deal open. It gives me a sense of them belonging to me and never going elsewhere in a trade. A grounded collection is an open collection. Those who leave them carded museum piece like are welcome to, but they don't know what they're missing. I don't personally think that carded collectors are in touch with themselves really. Something supressed deep inside screaming to get out - oh, it's the kid inside! :stupid:

Beast
03-01-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
JarJar, Do you open sets, like cinema scenes and the like? I know that you open your vehicles.
Indeed I do, infact two of my favorite cinema scenes have a prominant place right by the computer. My "Watto's Box" set, and my "Jabba's Skiff Guards" set. I also have the 25th Anniversary 2-packs open and displayed, next to my computer. They needed slight reposing, especially the Vader/Ben set anyway. :D

Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I love ripping vehicles out of their boxes and I especially love ripping hard to find items like those pit droid pack in figures and the Eopie that I got three of in a mega cool deal open. It gives me a sense of them belonging to me and never going elsewhere in a trade. A grounded collection is an open collection. Those who leave them carded museum piece like are welcome to, but they don't know what they're missing. I don't personally think that carded collectors are in touch with themselves really. Something supressed deep inside screaming to get out - oh, it's the kid inside! :stupid:
Amen EJ, though I still need to get an Eopie. :( Alot of collector's are really missing out on alot just by keeping them carded. Especially those that say that they keep them carded to "Retain their value". Why? If your a Star Wars fan, you would never dream of selling them anyway. Though, if you do wanna trade one of those Eopie's lemme know EJ. I need one for my toy collection. I'll even take a loose one. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

master jedi
03-01-2002, 01:45 PM
I keep my figs in the boring packages. I'll buy another one of the same fig if want to open it.

On other things, it depends on what it is and/or how much I payed for it and/or how rare it is.

JetsAndHeels
03-01-2002, 01:47 PM
I think what changed my mind about opening ALL of my toys was when I went to college.
I took some of my SW figures with me, and my roommates gave me alot of crap about it.
I would come back from a class or an outing to find Boba Fett groping Luke Skywalker, while C-3PO and Darth Vader were in the 69 position.
Not very respectful.

Beast
03-01-2002, 02:11 PM
I think what changed my mind about opening ALL of my toys was when I went to college. I took some of my SW figures with me, and my roommates gave me alot of crap about it. I would come back from a class or an outing to find Boba Fett groping Luke Skywalker, while C-3PO and Darth Vader were in the 69 position. Not very respectful.
How Wude! They are just jealous, don't worry about it. Some kids/adults just don't understand why we like to collect Star Wars figures. Hell, most of the time we don't really understand it ourselves. :D Just tell them "Hands off" and that you don't mess with their "finger skateboards" or whatever most kids/teens are playing with now a days. :rolleyes:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JetsAndHeels
03-01-2002, 02:15 PM
Well my roommates now are alot more like me.
They both collect comics and some toys.
However at times they do think I am quite obsessed.

fourtwo
03-01-2002, 02:43 PM
wow, i didn't expect this many posts when i woke up. i'm glad to see that most of you open, either that or the non-openers are just too scared. regardless of the "value" its just not worth leaving them in the boxes

billfremore
03-01-2002, 03:08 PM
Like it's been said before, you can't appreciate the cool features of these figures unless you open them.

I spent 20 bucks on e-bay to buy me a Darth Vader wth removable helmet and I ripped that sucker open the minute I got it.

In my opinion, the only people who don't open are those who plan to sell it eventually, whether they admit it openly or not.

JetsAndHeels
03-01-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
In my opinion, the only people who don't open are those who plan to sell it eventually, whether they admit it openly or not.

That is completely untrue.
I have opened alot of my toys, but I keep most of them carded.
I have them displayed in cases on my wall and also have some in my closet.
I do not intend to sell any of these.
This is my hobby; it is about the only thing that keeps me sane
anymore.

SithDroid
03-01-2002, 03:52 PM
I buy two of each, one to open and one to collect. I open them because what good is it if you can't get your little hands on them to play with. I keep one on the card for two reasons. One - I have a few of my carded figures autographed by the actor who played them and I wouldn't dare open them in fear of destroying the autograph, plus it means something more than just a figure if you got it signed personally. Two - I think that for most carded collectors it is a way to capture their youth. I know that when I was young I opened every single vintage figure I had and played with them without caring about the "value" of the item. Seeing nowadays what the carded vintage figures go for, is why a lot of people collect them carded today. People believe the new stuff will be worth money down the road. Unfortunately since so much is produced it is quite easy to find anything you want, only certain underproduced figures are worth anything. That is my theory anyway.

I took some of my SW figures with me, and my roommates gave me alot of crap about it. I would come back from a class or an outing to find Boba Fett groping Luke Skywalker, while C-3PO and Darth Vader were in the 69 position.

I used to have some friends that would come over to my house and do the same thing. Monkey faced Leia used to be quiet the lady of choice. Fortunately my friends love SW and only did it to be funny, not out of disrespect. Then again we were still teenagers at the time and a lot more childish.

Casual George
03-01-2002, 04:16 PM
When I stared collecting again with the POTF figs, I left them all on the card. I would buy doubles of ones I wanted to open. When TPM figs came out I started buying 2 of each, one to open the other to keep carded. I got over that, too expensive, too many other figures to spend my money on. I open everything now for display and play. I still have a huge stash of POTF figs waiting to be opened.:D

Darkross
03-01-2002, 04:26 PM
I would love to buy two of every figure (1 to open and 1 to keep), however, I have too many figures left to buy to do that. I have over 150 figures right now that are out of the box, and 180 still to go, so for me to go back and buy 300 more to remain unopened is too much for my wallet and I don't have the space to display them anyway. I like opening my figures and I keep all of the cards...except for duplicates. I like displaying them...but I don't play with them. I don't really have time for that. I can hardly wait until I have my collection complete for all of dioramas!

Jargo
03-01-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Though, if you do wanna trade one of those Eopie's lemme know EJ. I need one for my toy collection. I'll even take a loose one. :D
AH! but that's why all three are open. because i don't want to trade. I love them and I really can't understand why hasbro didn't think people wanted them. Okay so the Qui-Gon pack-in was lame but aren't all pack-ins? maybe it was just that it was Qui-Gon yet again and they heard the dissatidfied rumblings about Qui-Gon resculpts on the net? Anyways, if they re-released it with kitster the thing would fly off the shelves.

But, I'm still keeping hold of my eopies to go with my two banthas and two rontos and two dewbacks in my mega Tatooine display.
Anyways, the only thing I'm eally missing now is han on tauntaun and I can't see anyone trading one of those for an Eopie somehow. :D

sith_killer_99
03-01-2002, 05:00 PM
Well, I'd say that the bulk of my collection is carded.

I open ALL vehicles.

I open ALL Darth Vader's, Darth Maul's, Bounty Hunters, or any other figures I LIKE.

My "carded collection" is a bit unusual. I have most of the POTF2 figures carded, all but 3 or 4 EP1 figures carded, and all of the current POTJ figures carded. I also have every Cinema Scene MIMB.

I collect carded figures because I like to display them on the carrds. That is also why I collect my favorite figures on foreign (Non-US) cards.

spacelord
03-01-2002, 07:02 PM
I open the figures to be displayed (read 'played with'). Zutton will have to sit in his card until it is cantina time again, though. I only have about 16 SQ ft. to display and I like to put them in groups. I do keep the cards for when it is time to go back to storage. It makes it easier to keep track of all their 'stuff'. I also started buying extras in time of supply shortages. My son snapped off Darth Vader's blade trying to push it into the handle. They wait in the package until a sub is needed.

Lord Tenebrous
03-01-2002, 07:28 PM
I keep most of my stuff sealed, because broken fingers, chipping paint, and bent lightsabres really bum me out. I've already pitched out a Mace Windu, two Ep1 D2's, Aurra Sing, and several others. So I keep the figures in their packages until I really want to use them, or I find somebody who wants something I have to open.

Some will just sit until my kids have a crack at them.

Dryanta
03-01-2002, 08:47 PM
I open everything.As far as storage,I bought some of the little nut and bolt boxes at Walmart.Each figure has it's own drawer and is labeled so I can find which ever one I want anytime and all the small pieces stay with them.Open 'em up.Open them all

billfremore
03-01-2002, 09:20 PM
I see my comment has raised a few responses...

I can appreciate why you folks want to have multiples of your figures, but for people like me who can't find multiples or don't have the money to buy that many figures I'll keep opening every single one.

PloKoon2385
03-01-2002, 11:12 PM
I open almost everything. I have maybe ten that I left in their package because I got them cheap or won them. I play with my toys so it is a little hard to play with them in their packages.