PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy Ulic Qel Droma's Nebulon Ranger (great pics of custom model!)

Tycho
06-18-2010, 02:58 PM
I am continuing my thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case Ulic Qel Droma's Nebulon From TOTJ (KOTOR, Dark Lords of the Sith, The Sith War). PICTURES BELOW.

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through anything from the movies that still has not yet been polled for and primarily the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS and the EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner. All possibilities from the Original Trilogy have now been polled for and the results can be reviewed in the OT Vehicle Poll Discussion Thread in this forum. I'll create a PT Vehicle Poll Discussion Thread when the remaining choices left have all been covered. The EU choices will go on for a while, sometimes alternating with EU Beast Poll choices.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy Ulic Qel Droma's Nebulon Ranger From TOTJ?

This ship (see pictures below) would be expensive and likely cost $75 or more to create and sell something that would do this vehicle justice.

We have several TOTJ figures already:

Ulic Qel Droma (Sith Apprentice)
Exar Kun (Dark Lord)
Mandalore

We need some more, specifically to go with this ship:

Cay Qel Droma (with bionic arm)
Tott Doneeta (Twi'lek Jedi)
Nomi Sunrider (Jedi Knight)

And of course from Krath War Droids to the Cathar Jedi Syvar, Master Arca, and more, TOTJ could spring a great toy line.

In terms of the timeline:

Ulic Qel Droma / Exar Kun's days

Zayne Carrick's days

Darth Revan, HK-47, Bastilla Shan's days

There are generational gaps in the storyline that can be filled in here for sure. Star Wars has a rich and fascinating chronology.

Meanwhile, back to the starship (Note: the ship actually belonged to Ulic's Master Arca Jeth, but was sort of inherited by Arca's 3 apprentices after his murder).

This ship should be rather large, with its size being about the same size as the Imperial Shuttle Tyderium toy.

To save space and cost, the cockpit should only hold one figure: likely Ulic - but the vehicle might come with a pack-in Cay Qel Droma. He was the principal mechanic-talent that kept the ship operating after combat missions during The Sith War.

The hold should open just like the Imperial Shuttle's does, with room for 4 or more action figures like Ulic, Nomi, and Tott Doneeta.

The really cool feature would be how the wings deploy - just like the model of the spaceship that designer Jason Smith created (amazing pictures below).
Of course landing gear is a must.

The ship could fire 2-4 plastic missiles. This seems mandatory. The rear of the hull could swing down on a hinge for the action figures' boarding.

That's all this needs to do. But wow would it be awesome!

I've proposed the Mandalorian Battle Pods to also go with a collection that uses this ship, and there will be a poll for Exar Kun's Starstorm-1 in the near future (after a return to OT-EU eras for a short while).

Do you want Ulic Qel Droma's Nebulon Ranger made?

What other features would you want on this?

Why would you NOT want it?

Would you like to see more figures from KOTOR, TOTJ, or both that interact with this ship? Perhaps a whole collection from another Star Wars era?

How do you think it would sell in light of the comics and even the video games being in Star Wars' merchandising's past? Should Dark Horse and LucasArts Video Games rekindle interest in this era with new offerings?

Darth Metalmute
06-18-2010, 03:04 PM
I typically don't go for anything KOTOR outside of the main ship from the game and the sith fighters) but I think that looks cool. I worried about the size though. That cockpit looks small compared to the rest of the ship making it a pretty big ship. It would never sell as anything more than a starfighter class ship and i think that and the strafighter class size would ruin its look.

If they made it in the 25 dollar range, and didn't screw up the scale too much, I would buy it.

DarkJedi5
06-18-2010, 03:09 PM
I would not buy this mostly because I've never seen it before. I don't have any interest in TOTJ and while I loved the KOTOR games I've never been interested in anything else having to do with that era, which is why I voted against the Basilisk as well.

JediTricks
06-18-2010, 03:14 PM
It looks like a confused hunk of junk, with a slapped-on wing larger than the rest of the ship. It does nothing for me. I'd vote "no".

DarkArtist
06-18-2010, 03:48 PM
such an amazing design that I would vote absolutely YES !!!!! that model is amazing looking, almost looks like something out of LucasFilm.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-18-2010, 04:23 PM
No, no, no, no, no.

El Chuxter
06-18-2010, 04:28 PM
No + 8 characters for the 10 character minimum.

bigbarada
06-18-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what the acronym TOTJ stands for.

Otherwise, I agree with JT, on what a confused and nonsensical design this thing is. It's like they were putting the model together, then dropped it and it accidentally stuck to a part from a completely different model and they just said, "Hey, we'll go with that."

So, that's a no from me.

Tycho
06-18-2010, 06:11 PM
TOTJ = Tales of the Jedi.

Dark Horse Comics.

If people were evolving ways to access the Force....

10,000 years before the first Death Star exploded:

Force-users were unified into an ORDER so those with abilities would serve the public good and could be used to control other Force-users who would not submit and instead used their abilities to inflict larcenry, rape, and war upon the defenseless.

Thus became the Jedi Order.

I REALLY THINK THAT MAKES SENSE. It wasn't in a movie but it's logical.

The malcontents that would not submit to order were forced into exile since no prison could hold them and excutions got very messy.

In exile, the Dark Jedi conquered the Sith people and called themselves their Lords (Sith Lords, Dark Lords of the Sith, etc. There were many of them, not just two). THIS MAKES SENSE.

5,000 years before the first Death Star blew up, the Sith came back.

Get the comic book trade paperbacks from TOTJ if you're interested in learning more. Ulic Qel Droma's story line is far greater than Anakin's or Luke's. There's always somebody else out there who can do it better. (In this case, Kevin J. Anderson.)

royalquard
06-18-2010, 07:29 PM
TOTJ = Tales of the Jedi.

Dark Horse Comics.

If people were evolving ways to access the Force....

10,000 years before the first Death Star exploded:

Force-users were unified into an ORDER so those with abilities would serve the public good and could be used to control other Force-users who would not submit and instead used their abilities to inflict larcenry, rape, and war upon the defenseless.

Thus became the Jedi Order.

I REALLY THINK THAT MAKES SENSE. It wasn't in a movie but it's logical.

The malcontents that would not submit to order were forced into exile since no prison could hold them and excutions got very messy.

In exile, the Dark Jedi conquered the Sith people and called themselves their Lords (Sith Lords, Dark Lords of the Sith, etc. There were many of them, not just two). THIS MAKES SENSE.

5,000 years before the first Death Star blew up, the Sith came back.

Get the comic book trade paperbacks from TOTJ if you're interested in learning more. Ulic Qel Droma's story line is far greater than Anakin's or Luke's. There's always somebody else out there who can do it better. (In this case, Kevin J. Anderson.)

I agree that the TOTJ series is much better than Anakin's story. But I don't regard the prequels as Star Wars(except for Tartavoksy's series) because there's alot of things in the prequels that just don't make sense with SW continuity.

I know this is off topic but the Vader I see in the originals just isn't the same badass character in the prequels and he could've been. So I for me the prequel movies just don't count.

Ulic Qel Droma 's story is truly epic and I think any figure regarding that story and timeline is worth buying. I'd rather have TOTJ figure sets than the Force Unleashed sets, seems like a perfect time too now that the Old Republic game is coming out (even though it's not the same timeline but still)

And for anyone who hasn't read it TOTJ is essential SW reading lol you can download the whole thing for free online if your tight on cash. You won't regret it.

The Space Outlaw
06-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Oh yeah, I'd buy that. I could see a reasonably good version of this at the $65-$75 price point. I love that ship!

Darth Jax
06-22-2010, 01:45 PM
No. it looks a mess.