PDA

View Full Version : Smallville Season Ten.

Droid
07-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Smallville will be back on September 24, 2010, 8:00 ET. They are putting Supernatural on after it, which makes a lot more sense than America's Next Top Model.

However, I thought Supernatural was kind of a darling of the CW, so I'm surprised they're putting it on Fridays. I guess the Vampire Diaries is the big thing now.

Lord Malakite
07-02-2010, 12:55 AM
I thought Supernatural was kind of a darling of the CW, so I'm surprised they're putting it on Fridays. I guess the Vampire Diaries is the big thing now.
The show's creator, Eric Kripke, only planned for a five season story arc when it came to Supernatural and the actors who portray the Winchester brothers, Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles, originally signed a six season contract. The show just completed that story arc at the end of this past season (season 5), so Kripke is leaving the show and a "postscript" 6th season is being handled by another show runner, Sera Gamble. The upcoming 6th season is being done simultaneously because of season 4/5's increased ratings, as a means to complete the actors 6 year contract terms and to see if the show has legs story wise if pulled in some new direction by someone other than Kripke. Both actors who portray the Winchesters have said they have been happy with how the show went for the 5 season story arc and that if they don't like how/where the show heads in the 6th season they simply wouldn't renew their contracts, effectively ending the show at 6 seasons.

On a related note, at least the first 2 seasons of Supernatural is getting remade as an anime cartoon in Japan, with a possible import/dub to the US.

Droid
07-26-2010, 12:21 PM
tvguide.com has quite a write up on the last season and what was revealed at the convention. It is pretty spoiler filled.

I noticed this, which I predicted:

Super Villain: "This year we have a little different twist on the villain," executive producer Brian Peterson said. "We're bringing in Darkseid, but he's going to come in a little different form than you're used to seeing, so we're going to switch it up a little."

He'll be a charming, caucasian, good looking Englishman.

Oh, and they said that the Superman suit would be the exact one used in Superman Returns, which is a bit of a bummer for me. That suit was too dingy, I didn't like the cape's plasticity, and the S was too small. Oh well.

JediTricks
07-26-2010, 04:25 PM
I missed that panel yesterday, so I'm glad the info is out there.

Surprised they're using the Superman Returns suit, I totally agree with your assessment of it.

Not surprised about Darkseid being "different", your guess sounds likely.

EDIT: Here's that spoilery article link: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Smallville-Spoilers-Comic-Con-1020944.aspx

SPOILERS:

===Ugh, Tess lives. And she'll be part of Watchtower? Just gets worse and worse.

Chloe is taking up the helm of Dr. Fate? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

Sounds like Lois finding out and not saying anything about Clark is going to feel hackneyed.

Allison Mack is leaving before the series finale? What's the point? And it sounds like it's going to be cheap.

Looks like a lot of the actors from before on the show are going to be making cameos, I hope it doesn't feel too cheesy.

Booster Gold? Wow, I hope they can make that work, but it seems like such a different thing for the Smallville universe.===

JediTricks
09-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Smallville starts tonight! The guide listings have a buttload of spoilers for just a few sentences.

JediTricks
09-25-2010, 04:42 PM
1) It's the "final season" according to the opening of the episode.

2) Uh, Darkseid is a vapor?

3) So, Ollie's attack is the world's fastest normal guys? What?

4) That was terrible, everything that was done right in last season has fallen to crap this season. Motivations that make no sense for Chloe and have no payoff, Lois playing the game of "I know your secret but I won't let you know I know", and Clark apparently is a prideful murderer in his own eyes now for no reason whatsoever, with Jor-El magically coming back online after all this time just to chide him about stuff that makes no sense. They're just looking for an excuse to make drama and not put Clark in the suit.

What a letdown.

Droid
09-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Agree. Awful episode (save one point I'll get to in a bit).

They set up Darkseid and then totally backed off except for the one Darkseid cloud shot.

Granny Goodness brings Tess back and will have her enslaved. Nope, her face is healed and she's just at Cadmus brought back through magic for no reason.

Green Arrow attacked by Darkseid's men. Nope, just more government stuff like last year.

So Chloe knows something happened to Ollie and DOES NOT tell Clark and thinks the Dr. Fate helmet is the only way because... it makes no sense. Ollie got captured last year (when he skateboarded out on the truck door) and it wans't the end of the world and didn't require some weird sacrifice from Chloe. And she gives herself over to the government for what reason other than she sees in the future it should happen. But what is the rationale that led to that being the future other than the actress leaving the show? What a sloppy writeoff. And if she didn't want to be on the show anymore, just write her off the page without making us watch a bunch of "where's Chloe"?

Why send Lois to Africa for whatever five minutes it will be when we know she's going to be in a lot this season? And why did she go? She didn't act like it at first. (Guess she saw the suit and realized Clark had a bigger destiny than being with her - but still dumb.)

Clark's falling off the building and Lois pulling the knife out and it suddenly being day was a lame resolution to the climax. You'd think if he was human that the fall would have obliterated his body beyond recognition such that it would be too late once the knife was out. I think they needed to save him before he hit the ground.

So there is a Lex clone (CLex?) and his brilliant scheme is just to do the "can't be in two places at once trick" from Superman: the Movie except it's just a big ball falling into traffic from the top of the Planet and Lois in a burning cornfield? Seems like what the real Lex did to Lana when he couldn't even move was a step up from that! And Lex doesn't bring Kryptonite to the exchange? I was telling someone I was watching the episode with "I hope they have Clark a little smarter than to just run up to Lex and have Lex have Kryptonite so that Clark falls down and almost dies." Nope even worse - Clark is too stupid to guard himself from Kryptonite and Lex is too stupid to bring it.

I did like Lex saying people call Clark for cleaning up his own messes. They never harp on the fact that all the meteor freaks were caused by Clark's arrival and so many of the problems on the show that Earth experiences are Kryptonian based. Doomsday. Both of the Zods. Both meteor showers. Brainiac. I always wanted a scene where Lana figured out her parents died because Clark came.

I actually thought the clone Lex wasn't a terrible idea - they did it in the comics, but to just have him in for one episode was pretty pointless, particularly when there was stuff from the prior season's last episode that needed unpacking. Usually I complain that they have a lot of stuff that needs done in the season finale which is conveniently dealt with in one season premiere. Here they didn't even want to spend one episode dealing with the season finale and they shoved this standalone Lex stuff in.

This kid Lex is a terrible idea too. So the Jimmy AND the Lex we saw on the show were not the Lex and Jimmy that Superman will actually encounter and Clark is older than Lex now. If in the mind of Smallville producers actual Lex is really dead and every moment of the earlier seasons was building up to the two characters on screen NOT eventually becoming mortal enemies when Clark was Superman is pretty lame.

I still hate that Superman Returns costume. So dingy and latexy. Not a bright shade of red and blue to really inspire.

Gee, Jor-El, you put my suit in crystal. Guess my mom will just have to give me another one. It's not like you gave me the suit or it has special properties or Kryptonian properties. If Jor-El gets angrier will he take the sweater Martha gave him for Christmas?

This episode's one saving grace in my opinion was having Clark talk to Jonathan. The setup is murky and I'm not sure if we are supposed to believe it was a hypothetical conversation in Clark's mind or if it really happened, but I always find the stuff like the first conversation with Jonathan after he died and the flash Martha had last year of seeing Jonathan come through the door pretty moving. Bit of a retcon though, Jonathan had a bad heart because he made a deal with Jor-El to stop Red Kryptonite Clark and he died because Clark traded Lana for Jonathan in order to change history. Jonathan didn't die because he couldn't control his anger.

So tired of Jor-El. They even acknowledge that lousy stuff about how Clark was supposed to rule with strength and then Jor-El goes nuts because Clark lost his temper for a second and yet still didn't kill CLex. Didn't Jor-El WANT Clark to kill in prior seasons where necessary? Would Jor-El really care if Clark had just stomped Lex out of existence?

And yeah, Clark DOESN'T kill or even maim Clex and saves everybody and decides he's a hero, but is criticized by Jor-El for what and then decides Jor-El is right and he is awful just to set up the Jonathan talk and delay the suit?

JediTricks
09-27-2010, 10:39 PM
I think it was night when Clark fell off the building only because of the ensuing ascension thing, and once that was done, the clouds it created spread and the sun came out. How a now-mortal Clark survived that fall intact though, that was crap and a half.

I can understand Lois leaving, they made an effort to show HER how her presence in Clark's life was a weakness and vulnerability to him, and Lex clone's actions proved it (in theory, it actually didn't in reality but don't tell him that, he'll be upset :p). So I get going halfway around the world, but they should have had her say it to herself, something to sell it.

It was nice to talk to Jonathan for a moment, and for him to refute Jor-El's out-of-nowhere claims while simultaneously recognizing the truth in limitations for our hero are largely self-inflicted. The whole "why" of it was out of left field though, especially with a perfect opportunity to deal with it in the "halfway between life or death" scenario earlier.

I feel like you have even more points I couldn't voice because I was so annoyed, and it just reminds me that this episode singlehandedly seems to have undone all that worked in the prior season.

Droid
09-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I thought it was silly that Jonathon didn't appear to Clark in the limbo state.

The more I think about the Chloe thing the sloppier it is. How about Chloe just tells Clark where the prisoner exchange is and he runs up at superspeed and carries them both out of there?

I guess the Dr. Fate helmet showed Chloe that in the future she'd lose her sense.

And who were the people that Green Arrow was walking to as he was recovered?

And if "the government" had Oliver and now Chloe why not ask Martha/the Red Queen to pitch in?

So dumb.

JediTricks
09-28-2010, 04:20 PM
The season premiere's ratings were higher than any episode from last season, yet nobody seems to be talking about this turkey of an episode.

JediTricks
09-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Just skimmed the season 9 finale, the whole thing takes place at night, so that kills the "skies clearing" thing. That said, A) Chloe's watchtower windows inside were lit like it was day because they suck at making this show ;) and B) considering how damned long they spent at night in the finale, and the cloud cover, it is somewhat plausible that they were nearing daybreak.

Jayspawn
10-01-2010, 12:26 AM
I don't mean to seguay the thread, but I have a question...

Why did Michael Rosenbaum leave the show? I'm trying to find the scoop anywhere. I would think the show creators would do everything possible to bring him back for the last season.

JediTricks
10-04-2010, 10:30 PM
He left for artistic reasons, to spread his wings, and to grow his hair. He has had enough of the character.

So, I see all the fans flocking over to this thread to discuss the most recent episode because of how fantastic it was.

Damn, those are some loud crickets!

Anyway, this was another pretty mediocre episode. Kat Grant was unbelievably annoying to the point where I nearly turned it off, the villain was unimpressive and not very Deadshot-like, the return of the Suicide Squad was a waste and thoughtlessly done, Lois hanging out with Hawkman talking about interesting things while not being interesting was a snore, and Clark's new costume was beyond laughably bad.

Droid
10-05-2010, 11:14 AM
I hated this episode more than the premiere. Every single character's motivations were extremely bizarre.

Cat Grant is horribly done. I know she has to be differentiated from Lois, but I don't remember her being characterized this way in the comics. I wonder if they'll kill her son. And they've done the Clark being annoyed by his reporting partner before. It is played out. And why do these journalists always have a partner?

I hate all this government intrigue stuff. It is too hard to follow (kind of like X-Files was). I thought we had left it in last season.

Chloe's leaving continues to annoy. Only Oliver seems to be acting appropriately. It is totally out of character for Clark to care less, and though it may be "growth" to just trust Chloe, it does not ring true. And would it really have compromised her new plan that much to talk to Clark or Ollie one time before embarking on her new quest? And she deleted herself from existence? Neat trick. And are we really to believe either that Chloe trusts Tess and is handing the keys over to her? Or that Clark is now going to go to Tess all the time as his confidant?

And if you rewatch the premiere - at what point from Tess waking up in the lab to hiding baby Lex did she have time to help Chloe "go off the grid"?

I find it hard to believe Clark wouldn't notice getting "shot" or "tagged" or whatever.

I found Cat running through the bus station, among all those people, while someone chased her with a gun totally bizarre. She doesn't say "help" or stay by the people. Nooo she runs to seclusion. I did think her sliding through the bus' baggage compartment was slick.

Why would Clark need to send Hawkman to keep an eye on Lois? She isn't in danger. And why is she in Egypt now? Did she and Carter ever meet before? I can't remember. I think him trying to kiss her was strange.

And this is how she keeps Clark's secret? By just openly talking about it with Carter? Does she know that he knows Clark's secret? I just thought it was strange how openly they were discussing the situation.

Clark please just go fly to Cairo and talk to her. And your new costume is stupid.

I told someone I was watching the episode with, "I've been watching this show for ten years and I don't feel like I know what is going on, who the characters are, or why they're doing what they're doing. And on top of that I am really bored."

JediTricks
10-06-2010, 05:42 PM
All entirely true. ALL OF IT.

Carter says something vaguely cryptic to let Lois know after she says something similar that lets him know, then he says something far less cryptic which opens the door to that conversation, so that was the only thing that had foundation.

Why in the hell would Clark need to FLY to Cairo to see Lois?!? He's already run to the Great Wall of China in no time flat and lots of other places. A plane ticket is I guess for a prop to show Lois he flew there, but he doesn't actually need to take a plane there.

Droid
10-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Why in the hell would Clark need to FLY to Cairo to see Lois?!? He's already run to the Great Wall of China in no time flat and lots of other places. A plane ticket is I guess for a prop to show Lois he flew there, but he doesn't actually need to take a plane there.

Well he was standing on that ledge at the end like he was going to drop the plane ticket and physically fly to Cairo without a plane, using his powers. I wish he'd just do it already.

But yeah, buying a ticket at all was dumb.

JediTricks
10-08-2010, 06:09 PM
I think the standing on the ledge meant he WASN'T going to Cairo, but I guess we'll find out tonight.

Droid
10-08-2010, 07:06 PM
I think the standing on the ledge meant he WASN'T going to Cairo, but I guess we'll find out tonight.

In retrospect, I agree with you. He was just standing up there like Batman looking out on his city and dropping the ticket because he wasn't going. But when I watched it, since they had him in his new "costume", I felt like he was just going to lift off and fly to Cairo using his powers. Of course, he likely won't do that until the last episode.

JediTricks
10-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Well, he did fly... for a second, and not to Cairo. That was a little disappointing in how crap the effect was though.

JediTricks
10-15-2010, 06:04 AM
Tonight's episode is the 200th episode.

Droid
10-16-2010, 03:59 PM
What a difference a day makes!

Last week's episode was so bad I couldn't bring myself to post about it. Having Supergirl emerge in the world BEFORE Superman. Having the public see Kara first in the red and blue flying around (why doesn't anyone think she was the blur?), really irked me. I do not like the character of Supergirl; I think she totally undermines the Superness of Superman.

And after all the handwringing about Lois leaving town they resolve it by her walking up and saying, "Hey, Clark." (I know, Carter inspired her to come back.)

Wonder if Cat Grant was a one shot?

Anyway, last night's episode was terrific. It worked in just about every way.

One of my major beefs with Smallville over the years has been how dark it is and how judging Clark is. Batman is supposed to be dark (I still can't believe they had Martha get pregnant and have Clark cause her to lose her baby); Superman is supposed to be inspiring and fun.

The producers might tell us Smallville was the way it has been just to build up to what they did last night, but I don't believe that. I think the folks in charge now did a major course correction and are retconning a bit (It was totally Clark's fault Jonathan died, though even Jonathan would have rather HE died than Lana).

To out and out say that Clark never enjoys anything, constantly blames himself for everything and shuts people out and judges them (punishing Oliver, etc.) totally nailed it.

To free Clark of the past was a great thing for the producers, and to do it early enough on that hopefully the rest of the season might have a bit of joy is truly promising.

I thought it was great that I thought the counselor would be a bit of a freak of the week flashback and then they just sidestepped it and went another way. Great! (How weird was her Clark Kent doll?)

It was really a trip to see a flashback of Clark and Lana from the first episode.

The future stuff was a lot of fun. The helicopter rescue callback. Superman isolating a nuclear explosion. Them putting the word Superman on the newspaper.

Anybody else hoping Little Lex ages to the point where we get a Rosenbaum return?

The fact that Clark let go of the weight of the past and it made him lighter than air was really good. I thought the dancing with Lois scene was really well done and touching.

What a contrast between the 200th episode and how much I hated the 100th!

And what a contrast between the unwatchable season prior to last night!

JediTricks
10-16-2010, 04:47 PM
It was a nice episode, surprisingly subdued for a celebratory 200th episode, and surprisingly low-budget (Supes spinning around the nuclear reaction was sooooo bad), and a clip show, yet it worked. Your post pretty much nails it, Droid.

JediTricks
10-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Nobody care that the cat is out of the bag?

Droid
10-28-2010, 11:32 AM
I thought the episode was fine. No major complaints. It was entirely forgettable and just another run of the mill episode. I know they can't all be gems, but it was "meh" after the week before.

Them trusting Tess is a bit much to me, but who cares? I like Oliver, "Think we can trust her?" Clark, "We'll see?" like "Think it will rain?" "We'll see." as if it is no big deal.

It is good for Lois that Clark fell back with her or it would have been like she ran and jumped into a brick wall.

I think the reveal of the secret to one another was a bit lame. The week before Lois had said it was so romantic when Clark finally told her. Here it's just the two of them in some non-descript room at the Daily Planet. A very non-memorable way to handle such a big event and I think years from now people would have a hard time remembering which episode it was that Clark told her.

I am glad that they both know the other knows though. I don't want to see the whole season bogged down in her pretending not to know when she does know.

JediTricks
01-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Check out this cool Smallville poster: http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/01/04/dcu-in-2011-destiny-is-now/

Are they really going to do it, are they going to get him in the suit?

Droid
01-06-2011, 01:20 AM
Check out this cool Smallville poster: http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/01/04/dcu-in-2011-destiny-is-now/

Are they really going to do it, are they going to get him in the suit?

I hope so. Not so much because I am giddy for it, but because I think it would make the rest of the season so much more interesting if we didn't know exactly what the last scenes would be. I was pleased that rather than spending the whole season with Clark not knowing Lois knew the secret, that they just had it come out. Then rather than holding the engagement ring for the rest of the season they just got engaged. I'd be pleased if they'd just have him in the suit and have some Superman adventures (kind of how I would have liked Revenge of the Sith to have Vader actually doing some things in the last part of the movie in the costume, but that is for another thread...)

JediTricks
02-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Rosenbaum made a deal LAST NIGHT to appear on the series finale of Smallville: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/02/11/smallville-michael-rosenbaum-final/?hpt=T2

Tycho
02-16-2011, 06:04 AM
I just saw this (he's wearing a Star Wars shirt, too). And I love it. I so wanted "the real Lex Luthor" back!

Lex returns to Smallville! (http://perezhilton.com/2011-02-12-michael-rosenbaum-to-reprise-role-as-lex-luthor-on-smallville)

Besides lusting after Kristin Kruek for about an entire third of my life now, I totally dug the drama of the Luthors on this show. It's about time, Lex! I'm looking forward to Michael Rosenbaum's return!

JediTricks
02-17-2011, 05:49 PM
April 8th, The CW will be re-airing the series pilot. Step back in time to 10 years ago, one last time, before the final 6 episodes.

Tycho
05-09-2011, 04:41 AM
So this week! Cluck cant will become supperman! I will have to wreck it and watch it waiter because I will be my simple warts weed acting this weekend. But I so want to see the return of wax heater! Michael rose bud it's such a good job on the show in small bills early beers. I wish we could sink kristen coop come back for the west episode as well. I wonder if we'll see ghosts stars from the earlier seasons?

Droid
05-10-2011, 03:09 PM
1. Tycho, are you OK?

2. I had planned to post today. The season has been OK, but I think they left way too much for the finale, even if it is two hours. They've had some real filler episodes this year and I think that they could have paced things better so there wasn't so much to do in the last episode.

I know a lot of this may tie together, but they need:

1. to deal with Darkseid;
2. Lex's return;
3. Clark putting on the suit, flying, becoming Superman;
4. Oliver's turn to "evil"
5. Gold Kryptonite;
6. Lois' feelings for Clark and whether they will marry;
7. Lionel and the wrapup for his character.

It seems like the Lex return is kind of shoved in to this Darkseid season. It'll be interesting to see how thrown in Lex's return is.

I didn't like the resolution to the Jor-El story if that is how the Fortress/Jor-El story ends. I think Jor-El should have come to accept Clark had grown and become a resource, not stayed the testing computer right to the end. And they never dealt with the "rule them with strength" situation.

Tycho
05-10-2011, 04:49 PM
]
1. Tycho, are you OK?

ROTFLMAO!!!

Wow! I posted that off my Droid's voice-to-text. I was bored and waiting for Gianna to say good-bye to everyone so we could leave a club, and she was taking forever to get out of there. So I tried logging on with my phone. Uh-oh! I posted in a lot of threads that night while I was waiting for her. Those should be good. In the meanwhile, all the music and people talking probably made for a lot of weird quotes.

I'll try and translate!

So this week! Cluck cant will become supperman!

This week, Clark Kent will finally become Superman!

I will have to wreck it and watch it waiter because I will be my simple warts weed acting this weekend.

I will have to record it and watch it later because I will be at my Civil War re-enacting this weekend. (I think)

But I so want to see the return of wax heater! Michael rose bud it's such a good job on the show in small bills early beers.

Wax heater? Whoa! I meant: I want to see the return of Lex Luthor! Michael Rosenbaum did such a good job on the show in Smallville's early years.

I wish we could sink kristen coop come back for the west episode as well. I wonder if we'll see ghosts stars from the earlier seasons?

I wish we could see Kristen Kruek come back for the last episode as well. I wonder if we'll see guest stars from the earlier seasons?

2. I had planned to post today. The season has been OK, but I think they left way too much for the finale, even if it is two hours. They've had some real filler episodes this year and I think that they could have paced things better so there wasn't so much to do in the last episode.

I agree.

So let's see:

Lana could come back for a cameo.
Pete could come back for a cameo.
Martha should be in the episode for certain.

Perhaps Aquaman, Impulse, Black Canary, Cyborg, Martian Manhunter - well, that would be getting to be too much. Maybe their cameo's would be cool, but the episode really needs to be about Superman, and even Green Arrow shouldn't have a lot to do with this one, in spite of being one of the stars of the show.

Bruce Wayne or Batman should be at least hinted at! (Clark is observed by a stalker that looks like Christian Bale driving a white Lamborghini. Maybe he has a green Kryptonite rock in his hand that he puts into a hidden computer compartment in the Lambo? At least that. I know they are having WonderWoman fly over in her invisible jet. You won't be able to see her, but trust me, she's really there ;)

JediTricks
05-11-2011, 02:56 AM
So this week! Cluck cant will become supperman! I will have to wreck it and watch it waiter because I will be my simple warts weed acting this weekend. But I so want to see the return of wax heater! Michael rose bud it's such a good job on the show in small bills early beers. I wish we could sink kristen coop come back for the west episode as well. I wonder if we'll see ghosts stars from the earlier seasons?Next time SPEAK SLOWER.

1. Tycho, are you OK?

I know a lot of this may tie together, but they need:

1. to deal with Darkseid;
2. Lex's return;
3. Clark putting on the suit, flying, becoming Superman;
4. Oliver's turn to "evil"
5. Gold Kryptonite;
6. Lois' feelings for Clark and whether they will marry;
7. Lionel and the wrapup for his character.

It seems like the Lex return is kind of shoved in to this Darkseid season. It'll be interesting to see how thrown in Lex's return is.

I didn't like the resolution to the Jor-El story if that is how the Fortress/Jor-El story ends. I think Jor-El should have come to accept Clark had grown and become a resource, not stayed the testing computer right to the end. And they never dealt with the "rule them with strength" situation.Super true, all of it!

Last week's ep really didn't do its job getting the Lois with powers thing across. It's like it was straight out of the silver-age comics, silly and thoughtless, only it ended with the Smallville soap twist.

Droid
05-11-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm sure, because they always intended it this way, that once Clark defeats Darkseid he will be "given" the suit. Then he will put it on and fly. One scene of Clark in the suit.

But I really wish that he would fight Darkseid wearing it. I think after all this foot dragging we've earned one honest to goodness Superman in action moment.

I also hope they call him Superman at some point in the episode.

Also, this whole Jor-El taking the suit thing because he isn't ready is so stupid. First, the suit has no powers. Second, it isn't something Jor-El came up with that Clark would wear when he exposed himself to the world. Martha gave it to him. Jor-El seizing it was really weird. Couldn't Martha just give him another one?

JetsAndHeels
05-11-2011, 10:59 AM
K. Callan (from Lois and Clark) should make a cameo as the tailor who makes the suit. :)

My only real hope for the final episode is that the Darkseid character is done right. Darkseid is so awesome, I would hate to see it done wrong in the final episode of the show.

Droid
05-14-2011, 12:09 AM
There were things about the finale that I really liked, things I think they did so well.

I thought the resolution to the Lionel, Lex, Tess, Jimmy, and Perry storylines were very well done.

The Oliver stuff was good. (I think the gold kryptonite got a wee bit close to Clark, but whatever).

I liked that Jonathan and Martha were so prominent. I'm still not sure how I feel about Clark talking to Jonathan every five minutes.

I think that the Jor-El wrapup was good, though the "Smallville made you what you are" and Jonathan's "never forget Smallville" was a bit much.

That said, I feel a bit sick about the whole thing. They were so close after so many mis-steps over the years to really getting it right and then they went so terribly wrong.

1. Yes, we get it. Superman is a comic book. But what in the world was with Chloe and her son? First, I was worried that the whole series would turn out to be about Chloe Sullivan, a comic book writer. A weird St. Elsewhere thing. But then at the end, when it became clear that in the Smallville universe Chloe was reading her son a Smallville comic book ... what the hell? And she's missing Lois and Clark's wedding to tuck him in? What? And so, is this a comic book that is commercially available in that universe that tells that Clark is Superman? Did Chloe create it? Is she creating it to sell? Is she creating it just for her son? Would she really give that kind of a secret to a child and go to the trouble to make a comic book just for him? What?

2. The whole show was this big, long, incredible tease for season after season. When will he fly? When will he put on the suit? I don't care what they creators always intended - though I always heard the last shot was supposed to be Clark putting on the suit and flying away. I don't care if Welling didn't want to wear the suit. Or if it would have cost money to make him a suit for a couple of shots or to tailor the Superman Returns one for him. The people who watched show after show after show earned seeing him wear that suit. Not in long shots. Not in CGI. That actor walking around in that suit. To have had them about to show it and then cut to Chloe's comic book and then you groan, but then they cut to the Daily Planet scene and you say, "OK, now we're talking" and they cut away just as he opens the shirt. I do not like when audiences are mocked. They know people wanted to see him in the suit and they ended the show like it was, a tease. And I am pis*ed about it.

They should have SHOWN him flying up to push Darkseid's planet away. And people SEEING him do it and we should have seen them SEEING Superman and been inspired. And they should have CALLED him Superman in the episode.

I am so tired of stuff like the fact that people would have liked to have scene Darth Vader in Darth Vader suit going around killing Jedi, but even as much fan wank as the prequels were (Jango Fett), they don't do it because "you already know that part of the story". We already KNOW he becomes Superman, so why show him as Superman? You don't really need to see that do you? Well yes, yes we do, thank you for asking. We watched this show for all these seasons to see it and we don't appreciate you tweaking our nose.

It felt manipulative, like they all sat around laughing as they wrote it. "Well it was never about SUPERMAN anyway. It was about Smallville."

Well, it's over. I would give the entire series, this season, and the finale a "C." Up until the last ten minutes of the episode I thought the finale would get an A and the series a B. But they blew it, blew it, blew it.

El Chuxter
05-14-2011, 01:58 AM
Tycho, please promise me that you'll release a special edition of each of your books, where you read the text into your Droid and let it transcribe it back into text. :D "Cluck cant will become supperman!" lol

Maradona
05-14-2011, 02:21 AM
2018 isn't even a presidential election year.

Tycho
05-14-2011, 03:18 AM
OK, it was cool and enjoyable, but disappointing in so many ways. I'm just saying that there was nothing really WRONG with it - except that it could have been awesome, but wasn't.

1. Too fast of Superman heroics at the end. 1 hr and 50 minutes of drama, and 10 minutes or less, of action.

2. I realize that the story was about Clark's decision to become Superman and spread the light - or hope in everyone. That was what the story was about. Still, I think everyone wanted a "cage-match" of Superman vs. DarkSeid. The best we got in that department was Clark vs. Darkseid (in the form of Lionnel Luthor). Big disappointment there.

3. The wedding drama with Clark and Lois was too long and drawn out for even a 2-hour show. If they could have done a 2 1/2 hour show, I seriously would have left it. As long as the last 1/2 hour was a lot more action. Then the wedding drama was perfect.

4. Nice cameo by Jimmy Olsen.

5. Lex Luthor's appearance was cool, and necessary to establishing the Superman mythos of Clark's greatest enemy. But his forgetting stuff by a potion? And Michael Rosenbaum's seriously great acting talent was wasted by not involving Lex in a further plot. Really wasted. However, his inclusion was very necessary.

6. That Lionnel was going to sacrafice Tess and take her heart for Lex was awesome! That was probably the best written element to this story! Tess shooting Lionnel was a great resolution to his character.

7. The best scene with Clark and his parents was in the barn right before he became Superman!

8. Every scene with Tom Welling fully in the suit (a full body shot) was done at such extreme distance that you couldn't tell it was him for sure. Very cheap and very obvious that this was an intentional cop-out. They had some closeups of Tom, but nothing showing him fully in the Superman suit, with the "S" and Tom's face. Just closer in on Tom's face. He might have been wearing a blue shirt. Was this Welling's decision? I had read that he was 'embarassed' to parade around in the tights. The other thing is, that at that distance, the suit could be re-made in any style for a new Superman movie. (Small "S," leather, spandex, large "S," yellow or no yellow (barely any, that is), etc. It could have even been black and glowing off blue light if they want to ret-con that in a later movie.)

9. Oliver Queen's role was nicely done. Green Arrow had an important part to play.

10. I liked Chloe in the story, too.

11. There was an Asian girl at the wedding, but Kristen Kruek is only half-Asian (and doesn't really look it) and it would have been nice if she (and Pete) were in the show. There was a black male with a blonde girlfriend on the street. A suggestion?

12. DarkSeid was always a cloud of smoke or fluid. You didn't see him manifest a real form to fight Clark, but take other bodies.

13. You didn't see Superman actually moving the planet like you saw him moving Lex's island in Superman Returns.

14. The first time Clark should have flown is when he rushed to save Lois from "possessed" Oliver's hurl in the chappel. That would have made sense, because he said she inspires him. Clark should have dove after her and flown out the chappel doors with her. That would have been a really awesome way to direct that scene. He's never been able to "decide" that he can fly before. And to gain confidence that he can do that - and move a planet at the same time?

15. Where did Lex's scars go? That he's a Frankenstein monster doesn't sit well with me. Memory transfer? OK. Maybe. But they should have explained that with at least a sentence.

16. Where was the Justice League while this was going on? Cameos of them saving people would have been cool. Also showing that Aquaman could stop a ship from capsizing, but he, nor Cyborg, Impulse, or any of the others, could move a planet! That would have been a justification for why the world needs Superman.

17. Lois had some great scenes on Air Force One. Those were well done and a great way to use her character - and her seeing Superman for the first time outside the plane window? Awesome!

18. Tess should have been saved and somehow shown being coerced into helping Lex, thus being Ms. Tesmacher from the Christopher Reeves film lore.

19. Perry White should have been shown. But Michael McKeon's voice was clearly recognizeable. So that was nice. But halfway there, only.

20. So Darkseid is a bigger threat than Doomsday, Zod, or Brainiac? Or even Lex it would seem?

21. Lex came back to take Superman's side in the end. "Save the planet so I can conquer it and defeat you later," kind of thing, eh Lex? Not really out of character and at least a little different from what folks might have been expecting - while handling 2 major villains in 1 story. Lex takes Superman's side. OK. We've seen it happen before in Superman 2 as a matter of fact - sort of. Clark figures Lex would betray him to Zod in that film, though.

Overall, it's been a great run for this show and I've enjoyed being a fan. I've collected all the seasons on DVD thus far, and hope Season 10 is offered in a single set. I've missed some episodes here and there, since season 6 I think. It will be fun watching them, because I'll see a few shows that are new to me.

Maradona: it was 2018 that the final scenes took place in (Chloe reading to her son, and Lex becoming President).

Droid: No I don't think it was a dream or just a comic book. I think in the Smallville universe, Superman became real - and yes they did make a public comic book about it. Maybe. I didn't think about that angle before you brought it up. But Clark still has to be the disguise. A comic can't give it away. If people did not know Clark was Superman, they'd figure him to be in his 30's or 40's by 2018. I realize that by 2078 or thereafter, if he hasn't aged much, he'll have to change his name and have somebody else, maybe CLUCK CAN'T (to please Chuxter) become Superman's alter-ego. Really, unless there's a Clark Kent, Jr., (who's maybe actually the real Clark still) - people would get suspicious of Clark anyway.

But funny idea Chux - about reading my book into my droid.

Anyway, I'm sure there still are points I'm missing that I'll think of later. But there's 21 (above) for ya that are just off the top of my head.

Droid
06-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Bump because JediTricks hasn't said what he thinks of the finale yet. (I know you've been busy.)

With the passage of time, I am increasingly underwhelmed with the ending.

Droid
06-20-2011, 02:40 PM
So JediTricks, what did you think of the last episode?

JediTricks
06-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Bump because JediTricks hasn't said what he thinks of the finale yet. (I know you've been busy.)

With the passage of time, I am increasingly underwhelmed with the ending.At the time, I felt like it did some things right, and had a good feeling, but it rushed through all the good stuff. In hindsight, looking back a month, it barely made an impact because everything was just hinted at and rushed through, not delivered upon. The story though, if one can get past the "here's what would have been a cool scene if we had more time" elements over and over, did have some satisfying elements, so I didn't feel entirely ripped off (except for the very last scene, which I suspect was more about not having the money to tailor the movie suit to Welling).

Droid
06-21-2011, 10:47 PM
It's funny. The conclusion to the Lex storyline has started to bother me. The first night I really liked it, because I didn't think they could possibly end the show with Lex knowing Clark's secret. Frankly, I don't like the idea of Lex and Clark growing up together. But that was the story they chose for Lex. And the mind wipe made everything they did with Lex's character for the whole show seem so meaningless. What is the meaning of character development if it is all wiped out?

The Lex scenes stole the show though. That last argument at the mansion was great, though Lex's realization that they will both be great men with different goals is a bit lost when Lex lost his memory!

They never should have had Lex find out Clark's secret!

Even now it seems like Lex would trace his past, know he was friends with Clark Kent, and say, "Boy, he looks like Superman."

Jeditricks, what did you think of Chloe reading that comic book? I really hated it. So there's a comic that tells everyone Clark is Superman or does Chloe just have it and shares that huge secret with her child?!

The other thing that irks me is that it's fine if he didn't wear the suit. We never demanded he wear the suit. If they couldn't afford it, fine. They could have stuck to the flight/tights rule and just had him go into the Fortress in the last episode. But the show went ten years, not five. And he went to Metropolis, and had a relationship with Lois, and worked at the planet, and met Perry and Jimmy (kind of), and met ALL of the main Superman villains. The show stopped being about Clark Kent and Smallville and became about Superman.

And, THEY made a huge deal about the suit. Had Martha give it to him. Had it locked in crystal. Kept showing images of it. Said that people needed it to avoid the "darkness". They made it that people seeing him in that suit was necessary to save the world. And to just reduce it to reaction shots and CGI and close ups was garbage. It was like building a bridge to the way they used to show Superman flying in old serials and stuff. Since THEY made it about the suit THEY needed to deliver on it.

JediTricks
06-23-2011, 03:27 PM
To be honest, Lex had too much baggage on Smallville anyway, wiping it out would make him more Lex-like. In the comics, Lex is a self-made man, doesn't constantly whine about being under his father's thumb, or how his family is screwing him over, he's got goals and he is ruthless in meeting them (not like the movie character, yeesh is that thing embarrassing, I don't care how beloved it is).

The comic book felt to me like an "outside the canon" sort of storytelling device, one designed to give the audience more of a "feeling". As an in-canon device, it is riddled with problems, but clever writing in the comic could make Chloe's story simply fill in the specifics that she knows and the world doesn't. Her kid, well, hopefully there's no kidnappers who listen to children, but in the DC universe, it seems like everybody knows everybody now like that.

I do see what you mean about the suit, but it didn't bother me as much, they had a lot on their plates and the suit from the movie is incredibly disappointing anyway, terrible design.