PDA

View Full Version : I have the Cloud Car... and Snowspeeder!

JediTricks
07-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Take that, crappy April Fools joke, I actually have both of these! They were on TRU shelves last night. The Snowspeeder is shortpacked at 1 per case and won't be in the upcoming "wave 1 revision __" cases.

The Cloud Car is pretty much exactly as expected based on the preview images. The connection point between the 2 halves is very strong and at first didn't seem like the cars were going to connect without a gap, but with enough pressure that last millimeter gave up and they snapped together. The cloud car seems smaller than the vintage, but upon comparison they are the same size except the connecting arms on the vintage are wider by around maybe an inch. The cockpit has painted details, nothing too fancy but it's nice to see it in there anyway, and they sculpted a bit of a raised bump for the actual seat (an issue that bothered the EU Cloud Car). The paint has no weathering at all, which is the only issue IMO that isn't a positive. The cockpits open nicely, although they sculpted an inner lip underneath so it's not as smooth getting figures in as the vintage was, but I was able to get POTJ Lando and the OTC Cloud Car pilot in with no difficulty (they were what I had at hand). The landing gear are simple, and even closed their tabs stick out the bottom which bugs me a little, but they sculpted and painted a small gun on each so I'll forgive (it makes no sense, but that's ok). The pod-sliding gimmick is fun, though I wish the weapon inside was more exciting. All in all, it's still a little boring but it's alright. I don't think I would have paid TRU's $28 on its own though, only thanks to BOGO50% would its value be acceptable. Funny enough, the packaging diorama backdrop has 2 small cloud cars on it in the background, both are of the weapons-deployed variety with the pods slid in.

The Snowspeeder is very nice right out of the box. No weathering, but otherwise it's head and shoulders above the original (which was very nice too, but had inaccuracies). The lack of raised line detailing is great, instead it's recessed - it was only buying both of these new vehicles and comparing them to their vintage counterparts that I noticed the Kenner vehicles consistently used raised lines to represent panels rather than ones cut into the vehicle, I believe due to improvements in tooling technology. The canopy looks great, the windows bigger and smoother and more accurate, with lots of visibility. The smaller size is more accurate to the films, it looks better and is more fun to whoosh, and the only liberties that I can see they took were a small trough in the underside of the hull, and the position of Luke's seat (in the movie, Luke sits right under the dash, which would have been impossible unless they cut off his legs or the T-47 was Flintstones-powered). The missile-firing guns aren't so bad, but I'm grateful they weren't the only option, they're fun but not accurate, so it's good to swap them out. Likewise, the swappable rear gun is dandy, they don't pivot up and down but they share sculpted detailing, and the larger firing one has a cute trick with the "cable out!" gimmick, a small hatch in the underside that houses the excess line and then pops all the way out. I wish the string was even longer, I may have to make that happen. The hidden hatch door comes off a tad easily, but it's sculpted to be put back on either way so orientation is never a worry. The upper flaps open, but the lower ones are still static. The removable rear cannon bit is removable on the right side to allow access to the panel under - in ESB, Luke's snowspeeder has this removed while the others don't, so it's a great touch. Deco is decent, mixed grays and a few touches of white, under the access panel and flaps is dark reddish orange, there's tons of tiny aurebesh writing everywhere, but I haven't translated it yet. The cockpit interior has a very nice sculpt, but requires a dozen stickers. Oh, and a nice little touch, they sculpted a hole to accommodate the recent Luke Snowspeeder's grappling gun, sans hook. All in all, quite nice and a worthy update.

El Chuxter
07-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Crappy? That might've been the only online April Fool's joke to actually still fool people for a few seconds in the year 2010.

AmanaMatt
07-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Getting the cloud car for sure...these sound great!!

JediTricks
07-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Crappy? That might've been the only online April Fool's joke to actually still fool people for a few seconds in the year 2010.
I don't like any of those sorts of April Fools jokes, they're easy and lame and leave a wake of confusion for the rest of us to clean up.

They are great. I'm looking at my Snowspeeder, since I don't have Dack I put Shia Brie in the gunner seat, she's a bit small in there but fits, while Luke's helmet goes right to the top of the sculpted and painted canopy interior which should tell you how scale it is.

bigbarada
07-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Just FYI, I believe the "raised line detailing" is actually known as 'reverse etching.'

I guess everyone in my area is sticking to the street dates. I haven't found anything new. All the blue and red card Legacy, SL and CW figures are marked down to $4.50 and they still aren't moving.

Devo
07-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Got the AT-AT, Cloud car and Snowspeeder in Ireland. No figures though, as usual its just Clone wars and Legends on the pegs. :rolleyes:

Also I can't really enjoy the new vehicles, moving house again so they're staying in their boxes for now. But I did take a look and I liked what I saw. I've come to no longer be surprised about the lack of weathering but everything else is really cool.

Snowtrooper
07-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Glad to hear the connecter between the pods is solid. That was my main concern of this vehicle.

JediTricks
07-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Just FYI, I believe the "raised line detailing" is actually known as 'reverse etching.'That is an appropriate term for it, and as I suspected, it was because it was easier/cheaper to do back in the day when tooling technology wasn't where it is now.

Glad to hear the connecter between the pods is solid. That was my main concern of this vehicle.It's quite solid, I've whooshed it and the only thing that's happened so far is Lando has flopped about in his pod (the POTJ figure is pretty short and awkwardly posed for sitting). If you fling it sideways, 1 pod will slide into the middle as the stops are a bit light, but you have to give it a little extra oomph, it won't do it in normal whooshing.

sebillba
07-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Got the AT-AT, Cloud car and Snowspeeder in Ireland. No figures though, as usual its just Clone wars and Legends on the pegs. :rolleyes:

Was this TRU? I just searched the UK site to see if they have the AT-AT - it didn't come up, but the AT-AT Commander did! Seems they already have all the new figures: http://www.toysrus.co.uk/index.jsf?fh_eds=%EF%BF%BD&fh_search=star+wars+vintage&fh_view_size=10&fh_start_index=0&fh_location=%2f%2ftrus%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{tru s_trus}%2fitemtype%3dproduct&omitxmldecl=yes (http://www.toysrus.co.uk/index.jsf?fh_eds=%EF%BF%BD&fh_search=star+wars+vintage&fh_view_size=10&fh_start_index=0&fh_location=%2f%2ftrus%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C%7Bt rus_trus%7D%2fitemtype%3dproduct&omitxmldecl=yes). Wish I'd seen this out earlier today, I could've checked out my local store today... now I won't be able to get there till later in the week.

Devo
07-04-2010, 05:36 PM
I don't think there is any Toys'r'us in the republic of ireland, I think there is up north. We've got Smyths Toystores, Toymaster and Forbidden planet.

However yes I do believe the vehicles are available in britain now, a few people on RS have found them and posted pics.

Snowtrooper
07-04-2010, 05:47 PM
I opened up my Cloud Car and JT's spot on with his description. Its a very solid vehicle with not much to complain about. I'd like to add, I can see the center missles getting lost pretty easy. It doesn't take much of a push on the buttons to set off the missles and the center bar is a natural place to hold the vehicle, so it increases the chances even more.

dr_evazan22
07-05-2010, 02:45 PM
I decided to stop in my local TRU as I was passing today and they had the Cloud Car, plus some of the older vehicles in the new packaging... New packaging looks pretty nice! Besides these, they had also put out Vintage figs (they had 3 pegs) at $9.99 and they were fully stocked on new card CW and SL. On the 3 vintage pegs were 5 figs - 2 3PO's (and he does look short) and 3 Vader's.

JediTricks
07-05-2010, 03:43 PM
I opened up my Cloud Car and JT's spot on with his description. Its a very solid vehicle with not much to complain about. I'd like to add, I can see the center missles getting lost pretty easy. It doesn't take much of a push on the buttons to set off the missles and the center bar is a natural place to hold the vehicle, so it increases the chances even more.
My solution for the center missiles is to not use them at all. ;) I have to admit, after a few years where Hasbro Star Wars vehicles' spring-loaded projectiles were getting pretty decent-looking, I was surprised to see such a boring, generic missile used on the otherwise fine and dandy cloud car. The hidden launchers are ok, but the ones in the middle aren't hidden. So, into the baggie of unused accessories 2 of them go. :p

Snowtrooper
07-05-2010, 04:09 PM
My solution for the center missiles is to not use them at all. ;) I have to admit, after a few years where Hasbro Star Wars vehicles' spring-loaded projectiles were getting pretty decent-looking, I was surprised to see such a boring, generic missile used on the otherwise fine and dandy cloud car. The hidden launchers are ok, but the ones in the middle aren't hidden. So, into the baggie of unused accessories 2 of them go. :p

Sounds like a good idea to me. :thumbsup: It would have been nice if they would fit in the storage compartments.

JediTricks
07-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. :thumbsup: It would have been nice if they would fit in the storage compartments.
Exactly what I thought too! There could have been enough room under the hood with just a little tweaking, or perhaps a clip on the underside of the hidden launchers.

sebillba
07-05-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't think there is any Toys'r'us in the republic of ireland, I think there is up north. We've got Smyths Toystores, Toymaster and Forbidden planet.

However yes I do believe the vehicles are available in britain now, a few people on RS have found them and posted pics.

I decided to go to TRU on my way home from work tonight... thought at first it was a wasted journey, couldn't see any new vehicles (not that I'm too bothered... I only want the AT-AT, but don't really have the space for it anyway) or new figures - then I suddenly spotted a couple of pegs with the new Vaders, nestled between the usual slew of Yarnas and CW figures. It took a second to register that they were new, after all, it's hardly unusual to see Vaders on the pegs, but then I noticed they were on vintage cards! I looked behind, there were several Vaders and 4-LOMs, but also 2 Dengars, 2 Dacks and a C-3PO.

I picked out one of each (apart from 4-LOM, who's a straight re-pack, and I recently got him on vintage card in the Zuckuss set), then as I was heading to the tills, I spotted a manager, so asked him if they had any more. He disappeared out the back, then brought out another box, containing one of each (and 2 Vaders), so I scored the whole set. :D

So pretty happy this evening, though at 8.99 each, I can't help feeling a little ripped off.... I've since discovered I could've ordered the whole wave online, saved myself a fiver, and that would've included a bonus 4-LOM as well. But what's even more disappointing is there's no mail-in offer for Boba Fett. Bummer.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-05-2010, 09:46 PM
I've checked a few stores in the last couple days: nada, not even empty spaces where others got to them first. :(

But I am interested in the Fett mail-away, so I'll likely try to get at least enough POPs for him.

Darth Metalmute
07-06-2010, 08:34 AM
But I am interested in the Fett mail-away, so I'll likely try to get at least enough POPs for him.

I think I read somewhere that you can use previous POP's from all released waves this year.

LTBasker
07-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Nice reviews, JT! I'm looking forward to finding both, but the snowspeeder is the one that I just can't wait to get ahold of. Waiting for its release has been excruciating...ish. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-07-2010, 10:17 PM
I ordered these last week online and they arrived today. Both are quite great. Last year's Luke looks great in the snowspeeder, and the OTC Cloud Car and Utris M'Toc are rockin' out in the Cloud Car, though the pilot's holster has to be repositioned slightly for him to look better in it. Seriously, get them when you see them.

JediTricks
07-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Nice reviews, JT! I'm looking forward to finding both, but the snowspeeder is the one that I just can't wait to get ahold of. Waiting for its release has been excruciating...ish. :DThanks!

Yeah, the Snowspeeder has been a long-hard fight that it's great to have won. Good luck getting yours soon, you'll dig it.

I ordered these last week online and they arrived today. Both are quite great. Last year's Luke looks great in the snowspeeder, and the OTC Cloud Car and Utris M'Toc are rockin' out in the Cloud Car, though the pilot's holster has to be repositioned slightly for him to look better in it. Seriously, get them when you see them.I've been thinking about putting my Utris in the Cloud Car, POTJ Lando looks pretty underwhelming in his seat across from the quite-well-preserved OTC pilot in the other one. But Utris' tiny hat really bothers me, I didn't realize it with the first Wing Guard but both have that issue and it really bugs me. I also had a little issue with the Pilot's holster, I just pushed the figure down a little and it worked itself out. I also rotated the commlink on his belt sideways after it came off the first time I tried to put the pilot into the cloud car.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-08-2010, 03:18 PM
I've been thinking about putting my Utris in the Cloud Car, POTJ Lando looks pretty underwhelming in his seat across from the quite-well-preserved OTC pilot in the other one. But Utris' tiny hat really bothers me, I didn't realize it with the first Wing Guard but both have that issue and it really bugs me. I also had a little issue with the Pilot's holster, I just pushed the figure down a little and it worked itself out. I also rotated the commlink on his belt sideways after it came off the first time I tried to put the pilot into the cloud car.
I've never seen any pics of the "actual" Utris with a hat on, so display him without it, both on-shelf and in the Cloud Car. As for the pilot's comlink, I just put it in the flip-up hood for safekeeping. Seems to be fine.

JediTricks
07-08-2010, 05:25 PM
I've never seen any pics of the "actual" Utris with a hat on, so display him without it, both on-shelf and in the Cloud Car. As for the pilot's comlink, I just put it in the flip-up hood for safekeeping. Seems to be fine.
Good thinking on Utris not wearing his cap, it never occurred to me but that's accurate.

I thought about it being in the hood, but I didn't like the idea of leaving it rattling around in there. Luckily, both the Cloud Car and new Snowspeeder have interiors designed sealed up from the rest of the interior cavity space, so accessories that fall loose in the cabin won't end up stuck through a gap under the dash inside the rest of the hull. Thus, for me it's better to risk it coming loose in the cabin than know it's loose in the hood.

nohagent
07-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Saw them today....couldnt do em at 27.99. Hasbro thought I wouldn't notice the 24.99 mark and I did. Now a 27.99, hahahahaha crazy.

bigbarada
07-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Saw them today....couldnt do em at 27.99. Hasbro thought I wouldn't notice the 24.99 mark and I did. Now a 27.99, hahahahaha crazy.

Retailers set prices, not Hasbro.

nohagent
07-08-2010, 06:22 PM
yes, you are correct,, shame on TRU.. But as always...........shame on TRU

bigbarada
07-08-2010, 07:08 PM
yes, you are correct,, shame on TRU.. But as always...........shame on TRU

Again, my theory is that TRU is putting these out early just so that they can jack up the price and cash in on the impatient collectors (like me). I wouldn't be surprised if the prices at TRU drop after the street date.

DarkJedi5
07-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Again, my theory is that TRU is putting these out early just so that they can jack up the price and cash in on the impatient collectors (like me). I wouldn't be surprised if the prices at TRU drop after the street date.

That really seems like the sort of thing Hasbro should be upset about. TRU knowingly violating the street date with higher prices and then lowering them once the competition enters the fray punishes Target, Walmart and the other retailers that respect Hasbro's street date. Not that Hasbro cares, but I used to work at a book store when the Harry Potter books were coming out and if anyone had broken the street date on those you wouldn't have been able to order ANY Scholastic Publishing products again. Not that Hasbro could cut off TRU like that but it seems like something that would really **** off the competition.

El Chuxter
07-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Toys don't usually have a firm, legally binding street date, though.

JediTricks
07-08-2010, 08:10 PM
The higher TRU price is why I took advantage of bogo50% when I could, it'd be extremely hard to justify them at the full TRU price of $28, even $25 feels like it's pushing it only based on what vehicles have been for the last few years, and they've been getting smaller and smaller lately too.

The Space Outlaw
07-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Toys don't usually have a firm, legally binding street date, though.

They do for Star Wars, from what I've seen. Twice have I been thwarted in my attempt to purchase toys that were erroneously put on the shelf before their prime--first before TPM when the Star Wars Legos were brand new (I tried to buy a Lego Naboo Fighter that was out for purchase with a ton of other such toys) and the second a couple years ago, when the Titanium Wedge X-wing hit the pegs two weeks before it was supposed to. Both were at Wal-Marts and both times they refused to sell them to me, stating the system would not allow them to ring the items up and if the computer wouldn't allow it they couldn't sell it, not even for cash straight-up.

bigbarada
07-08-2010, 08:25 PM
They do for Star Wars, from what I've seen. Twice have I been thwarted in my attempt to purchase toys that were erroneously put on the shelf before their prime--first before TPM when the Star Wars Legos were brand new (I tried to buy a Lego Naboo Fighter that was out for purchase with a ton of other such toys) and the second a couple years ago, when the Titanium Wedge X-wing hit the pegs two weeks before it was supposed to. Both were at Wal-Marts and both times they refused to sell them to me, stating the system would not allow them to ring the items up and if the computer wouldn't allow it they couldn't sell it, not even for cash straight-up.

Those kinds of street dates usually correspond with a major film (or TV series) release. Besides that's Walmart, I don't think anyone has reported finding these figures, and successfully purchasing them, at a Walmart yet. Different stores have different policies for selling merchandise.

I have no idea why a street date was even set for these figures.

JEDIpartner
07-09-2010, 02:20 PM
I got mine last Thursday and I love them both!!!

JediTricks
07-09-2010, 03:14 PM
While I was on the phone with Tycho last night, I remembered I wanted to do this, so I went over and did it. The gun doesn't work in the holster while sitting, it's too far out, so I put it in his hand, you can't see his hand anyway and the gun is black. I forgot how awful my Utris fig is, looks like it was hit with a paintball gun right in the face 3 times. I didn't like the figure in there without his cap, it looked too informal, so I threw the cap on and it satiates me for now, but I suspect I'm either going to dig up my other OTC CC Pilot or put the new one in there when I get it.

Also, on the Snowspeeder, I have Shia Brie riding shotgun, and she rattles around in the back seat because she's too small. I tried to get her hands on the controls, but while her right hand did eventually bend around it, her left was too rigid and just wasn't having any of it. Finally, I figured out that I could pose her hands BETWEEN the controls, and that worked great.

bigbarada
07-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Picked up the Snowspeeder today and I have to concur with everyone here about how awesome it is. I like everything about it. The only minor complaint would be that I wish they had molded the non-firing harpoon gun in a darker shade of grey; but this might be more accurate, I haven't actually taken the time to check.

The lack of weathering doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I prefer it now. It makes it seem more like a vintage toy and if I decide that I want weathering on it later, I can always add it myself and it will look much better than something that was sprayed on in an assembly line somewhere.

Right now I've got the Evolutions Wes Jansen figure as Luke's copilot. Since his body is supposed to be identical to the upcoming Dak figure, I might just leave him in there and swap out heads when I finally get Dak.

JediTricks
07-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Picked up the Snowspeeder today and I have to concur with everyone here about how awesome it is. I like everything about it. The only minor complaint would be that I wish they had molded the non-firing harpoon gun in a darker shade of grey; but this might be more accurate, I haven't actually taken the time to check.

The lack of weathering doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I prefer it now. It makes it seem more like a vintage toy and if I decide that I want weathering on it later, I can always add it myself and it will look much better than something that was sprayed on in an assembly line somewhere.

Right now I've got the Evolutions Wes Jansen figure as Luke's copilot. Since his body is supposed to be identical to the upcoming Dak figure, I might just leave him in there and swap out heads when I finally get Dak.
The rear gun is the same color as the front ribs in the movie, but weathered out to be very gray, as you can see in this ILM model: http://www.m-moeslund.dk/Snow/Tumbs/SnowSP.html

And I think matting on bluescreen brought out more contrast: http://bragewj.com/starwars/snowspeeder2.jpg

That's another thing good about the weathering that used to be on these Hasbro vehicles, it covered the movie lighting effects that aren't on the studio model.

DarkJedi5
07-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Anyone have a UPC number for this assortment? My local TRU has yet to put any TVC out but they said they've got the figures and I bet they've got the vehicles but I can only get them to look in the back if I've got the numbers....

El Chuxter
07-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Call me nuts, but I'm actually losing interest in vehicles pretty quickly. I might not get this at all. Too many vehicles already, not enough space, and, when you get down to it, this has about six seconds of screen time.

I think they may have waited too long for me.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Only one I'd like to have is the Cloud Car, since I already own 1) the Kenner snowspeeder, 2) the POTF2 one, and 3) the POTJ one with pilot figure(s). And the Expanded Univ. cloud car isn't really the same for me, to go along with the Kenner one I have (and is pretty beaten up and played with a long time ago). It wasn't at the store where I found the figures (not even a sticker on the shelf), and I'll see if I can wait to get it at a different store for a little less (perhaps after 8/6?).

AmanaMatt
08-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Found the Cloud Car and Snowspeeder for $19.99 today at my local Target - sale only...for those holding out on a sale, go find em this week!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-01-2010, 01:54 PM
I found the CC at W*M for $23.77 because all of the 4 Targets I checked today either had no new packaged vehicles or only the tank, snowspeeder, or Jedi fighter; no Cloud Cars. I shall be opening it up sometime soon, but it can't fly it around the house until I can find the vintage CC Pilot (no other figure has the proper skills ;) ).

JediTricks
08-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Call me nuts, but I'm actually losing interest in vehicles pretty quickly. I might not get this at all. Too many vehicles already, not enough space, and, when you get down to it, this has about six seconds of screen time.

I think they may have waited too long for me.
Fickle. How much pressure did you bring to bear on this concept, only to bail at its completion? This is why Hasbro had no faith in it before, and why fan pressure is somewhat meaningless, they "want" what they don't have without any consideration for what happens when it gets produced. Oh well, at least some folks can be happy with it.

I got Dak and another Cloud Car pilot, so I can give a few final comments on these vehicles and their figures.

Dak fits excellently in the Snowspeeder, his hands go right onto the controls and he matches up well with Luke. You can really see him through all the windows, which is great because the previous version he's mostly blocked off from view. He sits a little further back than in the movie, but it's hardly noticeable. Both Luke and Dak sit a little more diagonally than in the film, the heads don't tilt down far enough and the hips and waist joints don't bend as far forward as in the film, but it helps to have muscles to actually pull one forward into that type of sitting position - I have the same thing in my car, actually, where if I put my head against the headrest I'm in a much more relaxed position. All in all, this Snowspeeder hits the marks.

The Cloud Car with 2 of the pilot has 1 problem: too many mustaches. The mustachioed look of this figure makes it obvious he's seated next to a clone of himself, and because they have small heads with thermal socks, it's not an easy headswap to another figure - I may try a Stormtrooper head or something though. The Cloud Car does look a little more together with matching helmeted pilots though.

sith_killer_99
08-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I found the CC at W*M for $23.77 because all of the 4 Targets I checked today either had no new packaged vehicles or only the tank, snowspeeder, or Jedi fighter; no Cloud Cars. I shall be opening it up sometime soon, but it can't fly it around the house until I can find the vintage CC Pilot (no other figure has the proper skills ;) ).

Of course the vintage CC Pilot has the proper skills, he's been flying for like, 30 years!lol

El Chuxter
08-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Don't worry. My daughter went nuts when she saw it, so I'll be getting one anyway.

Still can't drum up interest in the Snowspeeder.

JediTricks
08-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Don't worry. My daughter went nuts when she saw it, so I'll be getting one anyway.

Still can't drum up interest in the Snowspeeder.
Well, that may be why the Snowspeeder is shortpacked and removed from the upcoming wave revisions. (That and the tooling is going into the Target-exclusive vintage packaging.) Personally though, I think some folks are being unfair to it, we the fans asked and asked for a proper scale one, Hasbro deliver it with fun play features and movie accuracy, they take the raised line details and change them to panel lines, but it all gets lost with the "good enough" versions of the past.

DarkJedi5
08-01-2010, 05:08 PM
I think the current snowspeeder is a fantastic display and have it displayed right now. The realization that they had never done a grey colored (as opposed to the orange stripe, I mean) makes it a snowspeeder that is truly unlike anything we already own. Though I do prefer the classic orange and will buy at least one of those when they come out someday.

AmanaMatt
08-01-2010, 06:10 PM
If fans' want to see future ships, now is the time to support the line. Ive loved the M. Falcon, will get the At-at; got the At-st, cloud car - will get the snowspeeder....of course, i picked up the new Tie fighter and Tie Interceptor with updated cockpit....I am a sucker for these updates

Far as Cloud Car is concerned, I am personally glad they did both version of the pilot: concept art aka vintage version and prop version - the first modern cloud car pilot is a little larger than the new, but he can fit in one of the cars with minimal effort

I can say as a fan, I support the vehicle line - considering how nice they are, its not that hard

bkusna
08-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Would you buy a jabba sailbarge for $150?

AmanaMatt
08-01-2010, 06:31 PM

Not for any price. To me, that vehicle is just not exciting enough......I would however take an all new Speeder Bike built from the ground up for $20

sith_killer_99
08-01-2010, 07:24 PM

It seriously depends on what would be included. If they added the Desert Skiff and a few figures, then, yes, I would shell out $150!

It would also have to be large enough and open in such a way as to allow me to set up a Jabba/Leia scene!!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-01-2010, 07:40 PM
I think the current snowspeeder is a fantastic display and have it displayed right now. The realization that they had never done a grey colored (as opposed to the orange stripe, I mean) makes it a snowspeeder that is truly unlike anything we already own. Though I do prefer the classic orange and will buy at least one of those when they come out someday.
They did release Luke's snowspeeder back in 2002. It was a Walmart exclusive and had a crappy Dack and little "damaged" stickers for the window.

AmanaMatt
08-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Yeah, they need to go crazy and start doing/redoing most of the skiff aliens - then and maybe then would the sail barge sound like a cool idea. Being able to hold Jabba is a must

bkusna
08-01-2010, 07:46 PM
It would complete the diorama...I have the two skiffs over the sarlacc pit...only thing missing is a HUGE BARGE....Is there a better way to display leia with the sailbarge cannon??? Or the soon to be released R2 with launching lightsaber?:razz::razz::razz:

El Chuxter
08-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Personally though, I think some folks are being unfair to it, we the fans asked and asked for a proper scale one, Hasbro deliver it with fun play features and movie accuracy, they take the raised line details and change them to panel lines, but it all gets lost with the "good enough" versions of the past.

In fairness, I never asked for a Snowspeeder. :) I'd get it, but I've already got two, with no room for those two.

Oh, and the $19.99 sale at Target is through 9/4, according to the shelf tag. So no rush on finding them yet.

jonthejedi
08-02-2010, 04:12 AM
Again, as many of us stated in the past...how come Zizzle can do a Black Pearl over 2 1/2' long for a reasonable price, and yet Hasbro can't deliver a decent sail barge playset.

bigbarada
08-02-2010, 07:51 AM

Yes, without even a second thought. I would also like to see a larger Skiff and I would pay up to $50 for that without hesitation, $65 would cause some hesitation; but I would still buy it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Again, as many of us stated in the past...how come Zizzle can do a Black Pearl over 2 1/2' long for a reasonable price, and yet Hasbro can't deliver a decent sail barge playset.
Hasbro has answered this time and time again - the Black Pearl came out as the second and third POTC movies were hitting theaters. ROTJ was 27 years ago. Entertainment support is key.

DarkJedi5
08-02-2010, 11:45 AM
So, I've got myself one cloud car opened and I love it. I've got myself another one sitting in the box and I can't decide if I want to open it up or take it back. I don't mind having two (space is a bit of an issue but I can deal with it) but the real issue is having four mustachioed cloud car pilots is pretty ridiculous. What do you guys think? Are we gonna see another pilot head ever? Would 4 mustaches be too many? Is there even a reason anyone would want 2 cloud cars (though I really feel like I should support this one cause I asked Hasbro for it)?

Snowtrooper
08-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Even thought I already bought two previous releases of the snowspeeder, I went ahead and got this one. I'm glad I did. Its a very solid, nice looking vehicle. I think Hasbro did a very good job on it.

I was kinda curious why they put the side hatch on it, though. Does it serve any purpose?

El Chuxter
08-02-2010, 12:53 PM
I got two of the 2005 (?) Pilot, just in case they ever made a Cloud Car. I plan to have them in the cockpits and display the Robert Goulet Pilot outside.

TheDarthVader
08-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Hasbro has answered this time and time again - the Black Pearl came out as the second and third POTC movies were hitting theaters. ROTJ was 27 years ago. Entertainment support is key.

Ah correction....the special edition of ROTJ was released in 1997. :) Thus making the film's last release 13 years ago.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-02-2010, 02:51 PM
So, I've got myself one cloud car opened and I love it. I've got myself another one sitting in the box and I can't decide if I want to open it up or take it back. I don't mind having two (space is a bit of an issue but I can deal with it) but the real issue is having four mustachioed cloud car pilots is pretty ridiculous. What do you guys think? Are we gonna see another pilot head ever? Would 4 mustaches be too many? Is there even a reason anyone would want 2 cloud cars (though I really feel like I should support this one cause I asked Hasbro for it)?
The loose figure displayed at Toy Fair (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/basic-3-3-2f4-22-action-figures/p32918-hasbro-star-wars.html) had no mustache, though it looks like it's the mustache version with the hair left unpainted (the eyebrows are also either extremely light or not painted). They said "no" to any more running changes, so we won't see a 'stacheless version on this card, and I can't see them re-releasing it with another head down the road (though never say never, I guess). But that picture gives you an idea of what one could look like if you choose to customize it and paint over the 'stache yourself.

Ah correction....the special edition of ROTJ was released in 1997. :) Thus making the film's last release 13 years ago.
That's not a correction; that's an addition. And 13 years after a theatrical release is still too long for "entertainment support." The Falcon and AT-AT don't need it since they're far more iconic than the Sail Barge, but perhaps they'll do one in three years for ROTJ's anniversary. I don't know.

JediTricks
08-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Hasbro has answered this time and time again - the Black Pearl came out as the second and third POTC movies were hitting theaters. ROTJ was 27 years ago. Entertainment support is key.John, while that is a very good reason why, Hasbro's actual answer is that they cannot speak to another company's business model. And in all fairness, Zizzle appears to be essentially out of business now, they couldn't create a sustainable brand out of POTC and their website is "under construction" with no licensed or in-house brand logos displayed anywhere, they are shut down. It's too bad, but things like selling the awesome Black Pearl in a market that wasn't really supporting big vehicles too well was a big risk.

It's Hasbro's commitment to sustainability after the post-Ep 1 crash that nearly took the company down which makes this line possible today. They have a business model which has kept the SW brand alive and near the top of the industry for 15 years now thanks - unfortunately for die-hards like us - to their cautious approach to riskier stuff like the Sail Barge. If they release the Sail Barge and it doesn't catch the market's attention, it would be a very expensive loss to write off and it would send waves through the rest of the line's future.

Would I buy a Sail Barge? Yeah, probably. I bought the LEGO one, it's a fun set, pretty much the last set I ever bought, and it's nicely sized. I guess that would be a question mark, how big could it be and still be fun? Looking at my AT-TE next to my Jabba, there's not really enough space for Jabba plus a lot more figures inside, and that's key. So design has to come first, has to make it big enough to hold figures inside and still have fun play features, and at $100 I suspect it'd be a rough one to tool up. At $150, I don't think many folks are gonna buy it since it really doesn't have that instant SW recognizability or aggressive styling, so it can't be BMF-level.

So, I've got myself one cloud car opened and I love it. I've got myself another one sitting in the box and I can't decide if I want to open it up or take it back. I don't mind having two (space is a bit of an issue but I can deal with it) but the real issue is having four mustachioed cloud car pilots is pretty ridiculous. What do you guys think? Are we gonna see another pilot head ever? Would 4 mustaches be too many? Is there even a reason anyone would want 2 cloud cars (though I really feel like I should support this one cause I asked Hasbro for it)?I absolutely feel 4 mustachioed pilots would be too much. I do think the head might be swappable with some of the others out there though, maybe the new Dak Ralter, the TAC Stormtrooper, and others with the "sock" head design (the helmet on this CC pilot is pretty small and won't fit hair figures), but I haven't tried it yet.

I was kinda curious why they put the side hatch on it, though. Does it serve any purpose?In the movie props, Luke's Snowspeeder has that right side panel removed for repairs and cooling where the other snowspeeder props did not have that detail, so Hasbro designed it to work both ways and add a fun feature at the same time.

El Chuxter
08-02-2010, 03:50 PM
You might be able to swap the Robert Goulet head on the Cloud Car Pilot for the Torpedo-mold head from the 25th/ROC/POC GIJoe lines. That's been used on quite a few figures (two or three Torpedos, at least three Wet-Suits, and I think a Deep Six), most of which were in multipacks and wound up on clearance. It's not exactly the sock design, but should pass for it; all but one Torpedo (from the Senior Officers 3-packs, currently rotting on shelves at TRU and Ross stores everywhere), and I think the Deep Six (in the same set), have a dark gray or black "sock."

JediTricks
08-02-2010, 04:00 PM
You might be able to swap the Robert Goulet head on the Cloud Car Pilot for the Torpedo-mold head from the 25th/ROC/POC GIJoe lines. That's been used on quite a few figures (two or three Torpedos, at least three Wet-Suits, and I think a Deep Six), most of which were in multipacks and wound up on clearance. It's not exactly the sock design, but should pass for it; all but one Torpedo (from the Senior Officers 3-packs, currently rotting on shelves at TRU and Ross stores everywhere), and I think the Deep Six (in the same set), have a dark gray or black "sock."
I doubt it, the Joe line has used a much smaller ball joint on all the figures I have gotten over the last few years.

El Chuxter
08-02-2010, 04:02 PM
I didn't say it would be an easy swap. :) I haven't checked the Goulet figure (I'm really attached to calling him that; can you tell?) to see if he's one, but a few SW figures have had much smaller ball joints than others. (I've got a really nice-looking unmasked Para-Viper with a Temuera Morrison head that required no additional work beyond popping them off.)

JediTricks
08-02-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm thinking of the pinhead joints though, the kind that have NEVER been used on SW.

El Chuxter
08-02-2010, 05:21 PM
I did check; no GIJoe head will work on the Cloud Car body without some filing, trimming, or something else that makes it far more work than a mere headswap.

sith_killer_99
08-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Well, I found the new stuff at TRU today. I saw a Cloud Car but just could not justify spending $27.99 for the thing. Maybe $19.99, but $27.99 was just too steep. I also found the first wave of Vintage figures, at $9.99 each.:sad:

Maerj2000
08-02-2010, 09:16 PM
I saw 2 Snowspeeders tonight at a local Target on sale for $19.99 but I'm broke. :mad: Oh, let me just add :cry: Hopefully they'll still have one after I get paid on Friday.

The Space Outlaw
08-02-2010, 09:17 PM
I picked up my Snowspeeder over the weekend and I have to say, I'm very, very happy with it. The scale is great and its features are impressive. The speed brakes aren't floppy at all (something I was worried about after having had two Action Fleet versions with loose brakes) and the swappable guns are a really nice touch (I absolutely abhor launching missiles). There's almost no compromises aside from a slightly fat underbelly but I think that improves, rather than detracts, from its appearance. Definitely worth the $25.00 I paid :thumbsup:

JediTricks
08-02-2010, 09:18 PM
I did check; no GIJoe head will work on the Cloud Car body without some filing, trimming, or something else that makes it far more work than a mere headswap.
I also checked, the head on the CC Pilot is too small to swap with the TAC Stormtrooper or with Dak, their heads are too large for the helmet, and their receiver cups are too big for the neck ball-joint so they just wobble off. Looks like either hollowing out a GI Joe head or living with a bunch of mustaches is the way to go.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-03-2010, 09:42 AM
What about a bleach-and-trim? Little nail polish remover, little file.

mtriv73
08-03-2010, 09:44 AM
I also checked, the head on the CC Pilot is too small to swap with the TAC Stormtrooper or with Dak, their heads are too large for the helmet, and their receiver cups are too big for the neck ball-joint so they just wobble off. Looks like either hollowing out a GI Joe head or living with a bunch of mustaches is the way to go.

Or paint on a beard, or paint over the mustache. I think I'll be putting a van dyke on one in honor of the MIA KH.

JediTricks
08-04-2010, 09:56 PM
I don't have the steadiness to paint over that mustache without getting paint over other areas, and it'd need to totally match the flesh or the mustache color depending on what you do.

El Chuxter
08-04-2010, 11:08 PM
You could maybe paint the moustache a different color? Not a great solution, but then you can have a few different ones.

Or get some "green stuff" and gray paint and make a Michael McDonald Cloud Car Pilot!

AmanaMatt
08-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Opened the Snowspeeder today and for $20, this is among my fav ships Hasbro has done....of all time. Never got the original in the modern line, and glad I held out for an all new one