PDA

View Full Version : Are these movies more about Obi-Wan than Anakin?

Toad
03-01-2002, 09:51 AM
Sometimes I think so, and that's pretty cool.
I mean, from Ep. I we see his training, in Ep. II we'll see his training of another, and so on and so forth.

Is it Anakin's rise and fall -- or is it Obi-Wan's??

I can't wait to see what puts him in that hut on Tatooine -- but I bet it's something awful.

Just my 2 cents.

DahrJin
03-01-2002, 10:02 AM
The films are more about the Skywalker family, the OB-1 saga is just a back story. Something of a BONUS if you ask me.:D

2-1B
03-01-2002, 02:04 PM
I like the idea of watching Obi-Wan's "fall" along the path of Vader's rise, but I don't think it will be on the same level.

I thought Obi-Wan was in TPM WAYYYYYYYY too little. I think George should have left him alone by not giving his scenes to Qui-Gonn.

I'm not against seeing Obi-Wan's transition from grumpy padawan to wise knight, I just think it should have happened before the events of TPM. Call it a pre-prequel trilogy :crazed:

Jek Porky 2002
03-01-2002, 04:33 PM
But if it's meant to be about the Skywalkers then why is Anakin never at the top of any cast lists: Episode I:
Qui-Gon Jinn
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Queen Amidala/Padme
Anakin Skywalker

Episode II
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Padme Amidala
Anakin Skywalker

This suggests to me that Obi-Wan and Padme are more important than Anakin.

POST 200

AreTwo-DeeTwo
03-01-2002, 06:52 PM
Probably because Ewan MrGregor and Natalie Portman are more recognizable names than Hayden Christensen. So they put their characters towards the top so people can see that those 2 actors names are in the film.
Same with EPI - Qui-Gon is played by Liam Neeson a bigger name for people to recognize.
I don't know if that's true...just speculating.

LTBasker
03-01-2002, 07:11 PM
Padme's definitely not more important. :p

I do believe AreTwo-DeeTwo is right about the more recognized names.

Co Jo-Da
03-02-2002, 02:10 AM
I think that in order to tell the story of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader you have to talk about the people around him, like Obi-Wan and Padme...

Beast
03-02-2002, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Co Jo-Da
I think that in order to tell the story of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader you have to talk about the people around him, like Obi-Wan and Padme...
Not to mention one of the major themes of Episode III will be betrayl of friendhip. They have to make the buddy relationship of Anakin and Obi-Wan's be a key point that carries the series. So when Anakin finally does turn on his former master, and Ben does what's necissary in self defense, which leads to the creation of Darth Vader, will be a gut renching scene. Lucas needs to show everyone how close the two of them are, just so we get an idea the incredible guilt that Obi-Wan must have lived with every day after his escape into seclusion on Tatooine.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jek Porky 2002
03-02-2002, 02:29 PM
But surely the credits are based on charactor importance, I mean it's not like you are going to be affected on your decision to see the movie because of certain actors after the film because you've already seen it!
I hope that makes sense, I know what I meen that's your tough t1ttys if you don't.

Rollo Tomassi
03-02-2002, 03:28 PM
I'm sure Ewan and Nat have something in their contract that says they get higher billing than Hayden (a relative unknown) plus they've been in three of the films and he'll only've been in two. it has very little to do with the character's importance/screen time.

Jek Porky 2002
03-03-2002, 09:34 AM
Like in There's Something About Mary, Cameron Diaz and Matt Dillon get the top credits, where Ben Stiller, the person the movie is about and revolves around has to settle for third place.

JEDIpartner
03-04-2002, 08:51 AM
I think that the story of Anakin must be told in conjunction with that of Obi-Wan. In ANH he mentions that Anakin was "a good friend". We need to see evidence of this to substantiate the claim. I think that the stuggle Obi-Wan had with Anakin also shows his own weakness and inability to be a perfect teacher or guide. He mentions this in ROTJ... no?

The stories and their lives are intertwined. It is a relationship that ends up coming full circle in the training of Luke and ending in his success with Luke's training, even though most of it would be accredited to Yoda and Luke's own impulsiveness.