PDA

View Full Version : I do not want to see the twins' birth.

Toad
03-01-2002, 11:35 AM
Part of me hopes it happens in between Ep. II and III ... but if not, I hope it's just alluded to during III. If I see Padme in stirrups, this hexology suddenly becomes too real.

LTBasker
03-01-2002, 12:42 PM
I doubt it'd go that far dude, afterall even though Episode III was said by Lucas to be darker and such, it's still basically a kid's movie. I doubt they'd have a birth on screen, if the skywalker twins are in E3, they'll have been born inbetween the movies.

Rollo Tomassi
03-01-2002, 12:49 PM
More likely, Padme will be pregnant, but we'll follow another character during that particular point of the film. And when that character (and by proxy, the audience) rejoin with Padme, she'll have a bundle of Joy to show us.

DahrJin
03-01-2002, 01:02 PM
Now shouldn't that be "BUNDLES" of joy. :D

LTBasker
03-01-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by DahrJin

Well, bundles of somethin' at least... :D

I just hope she won't try to talk in her really bad southern accent while she's pregnant. :p

Rollo Tomassi
03-01-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by DahrJin

If you want the revelation in ROJ to be worth anything, you'll only see a Luke Skywalker shaped bundle of joy. The Leia Organa shaped bundle will be held by some background character, so as to keep it a secret for little Timmy watching the saga in order in the year 2044.

evenflow
03-12-2002, 05:14 PM
I think that we have to see the birth, and the handing over of the newborn Jedi.

Rollo Tomassi
03-13-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by evenflow
I think that we have to see the birth, and the handing over of the newborn Jedi.

Now who wants to sit through ten minutes of Obi Wan holding a sweaty, teeth gritting Padme and going "You're doing great, sweetie. Now PUSH!":(

Beast
03-13-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Now who wants to sit through ten minutes of Obi Wan holding a sweaty, teeth gritting Padme and going "You're doing great, sweetie. Now PUSH!":(
That's why the Star Wars universe is wonderful, Lucas always has 3 things going on near the movie. Padme can go into labor and then Lucas can switch locations to Anakin/Vader reporting to Sidious or somthing like that. Then by the time we go back to Padme, she has already given birth and we can move on with the story. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
03-13-2002, 01:44 AM
I don't think we'll actually see the birth take place, either, but I think we'll see the two babies. Didn't George even film a scene with Ewan McGregor in Tunisia for E3 so they wouldn't have to go back there?

And this whole, "I don't want to see Vader/Twins in E3 or else it will spoil the movies in order" is a bit overboard. Everyone knows what happens. 20 years down the line, for a 12 year old seeing the movies for the first time, it might not be a big deal anymore that Vader is Luke's father, Leia/Luke twins. Hell, in 20 years the only people who might watch the movies are a bunch of middle-aged people whose kids don't like the movies at all.

Beast
03-13-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
I don't think we'll actually see the birth take place, either, but I think we'll see the two babies. Didn't George even film a scene with Ewan McGregor in Tunisia for E3 so they wouldn't have to go back there?
Yep, he did. There was a photo that popped up, I believe in the Insider from the set of Obi-Wan in Tunisia, holding a what appears to be a blanket wrapped object. I think Rick McCallum was answering a question about filming for EIII. And saying that they had already filmed some. Not to mention, from everything I have heard, Obi-Wan never sets foot on Tatooine in E2. So they grabbed the shot while they were there, for use in EIII. From what I hear, that's the only time that Tatooine appears in EIII, so they decided to film the scene for EII so that they wouldn't have to fly a camera crew and Ewan out there for just a small shot during Episode III filming.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
03-14-2002, 04:33 AM
Joel Edgerton claims to be coming back for Episode III ( I would hope so, his character is pretty important) so they could always just do interior shots on a set with he, Beru, and Obi-Wan next summer.

Rollo Tomassi
03-14-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
And this whole, "I don't want to see Vader/Twins in E3 or else it will spoil the movies in order" is a bit overboard. Everyone knows what happens. 20 years down the line, for a 12 year old seeing the movies for the first time, it might not be a big deal anymore that Vader is Luke's father, Leia/Luke twins. Hell, in 20 years the only people who might watch the movies are a bunch of middle-aged people whose kids don't like the movies at all.

I agree. It's an academic argument for anyone who has seen the original Trilogy. But I think kids will love these movies as much as we did, they'll just laugh at the "cheesy 20th century effects"

Toad
03-15-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Joel Edgerton claims to be coming back for Episode III ( I would hope so, his character is pretty important) so they could always just do interior shots on a set with he, Beru, and Obi-Wan next summer.

...which is why I think it would be a good idea to leave some things as a surprise. Had this movie been released differently, I know I wouldn't want to see that Luke and Leia are twins, separated at birth from their evil Jedi-turned-Sith father Darth Vader, only to be reunited years later --- yet not find out their true identity until the last movie out of 6.

If we don't find out in Ep. III, then it makes things more interesting for Eps. IV - VI. It's not an academic argument, it's not going overboard. I just think that for the pure sake of storytelling, their should be some suspense.

Imagine watching these I thru VI, and you've never seen them before...the surprises revealed in the 5th and 6th movies wouldn't be surprising at all -- I daresay that instead they'd be boring -- if we saw it all in the 3rd.

You guys disagree with me, and that's cool, but please at the very least understand my point. I may not agree with Communism, but I understand it its point! ;)

Rollo Tomassi
03-15-2002, 05:31 PM
If we don't find out in Ep. III, then it makes things more interesting for Eps. IV - VI. It's not an academic argument, it's not going overboard. I just think that for the pure sake of storytelling, their should be some suspense.

Ah, but it IS an academic argument for you and I and everybody in here. We've all seen the original trilogy and know Vader is Anakin and Luke and Leia are twins.

Imagine watching these I thru VI, and you've never seen them before...the surprises revealed in the 5th and 6th movies wouldn't be surprising at all -- I daresay that instead they'd be boring -- if we saw it all in the 3rd.

So you're saying the Original Trilogy is boring? Since you know about Vader and Luke and Leia, every subsequent viewing after the first one is not worth it? "bah. I knew Vader was his dad. this whole movie is ruined.."

You guys disagree with me, and that's cool, but please at the very least understand my point. I may not agree with Communism, but I understand it its point!

Communism doesn't work either. It only looks good in theory.;)

I understand your point and I think it's possible to keep Leia a secret for the rest of the trilogy by showing a second infant in the background (and make it obvious that those who KNOW, know...if you know what I mean...) but this trilogy and the third movie specifically are about Anakin turning into Vader. I don't think it's right to sacrifice the entire story of III in order to save ONE aspect of the story in ESB. It's akin to cutting off the head to save the body.

Wolfwood319
03-16-2002, 12:45 AM
Gotta go with Rollo on this one.

I think we need to see Anakin turn into Vader in 3, that is after all, what I thought the prequels were about. And I still say that you should watch the films in the order they were released. But that's another argument entirely.

I think that if you've seen the OT in anyway shape or form, it shoudn't matter. Your not going to suddenly forget who Vader actually is. And its such a stable element of pop culture, its hard not to know. Even if a person born today doesn't watch any Star Wars film ever, he'll still probably know that Vader is Luke's father.

I don't think elements of the story should be sacrificed to keep the "surprises" in the OT.