PDA

View Full Version : Silver Labels

Huckleberry Josh
08-25-2001, 04:28 PM
I noticed something weird not long ago with two of my battlepacks . #5 The Shadows of the Empire and the #1 reabel Alliance ( featuring Yoda ). They both had silver labels . You know , the label that says Action Fleet . All the other vehicles and battlepacks have gold labels . Why do these two have silver labels . Is this rare ?

SWAFMAN
08-25-2001, 10:06 PM
AFs with silver logo on box were the earliest released AFs. I believe they were only released w/silver logo boxes in the 1st year that Action Fleet came out. I have silver logo boxes for the DV TIE Fighter & Sandcrawer. I may have others w/silver logos, but some of my AF boxes are too buried to access easily right now. Perhaps other forum'ers could round-out the list of early AFs that came in silver-logo boxes. SSG also has excellent resources to look up nearly any detail about Star Wars Action Fleet products & their variations.

r2dee2
08-25-2001, 10:43 PM
The first release Battlepacks of #1,2,3,and 5 have the silver logo and when they were re-released with the omitted figure, they sported the gold logo. I have not seen a #4 Battlepack with the silver logo, but that doesn't mean that it's not out there. What makes the silver logo Battlepacks nice, is that they have the "extra" figure in it:D
You can see pics of all the Battlpacks and all the variations I'm aware of on my BattlePack page. Check it our if you're interested:)
Battle Packs (http://fan.starwars.com/MicroForce/battlepacks.html)

As SWAFMAN mentioned, many of the Action Fleet Vehicles and playsets also have silver or gold logos. Many times the silver logo Action Fleet Vehicles are different than the later releases, not having the battle marks, smaller size as in the Vader TIE, change in color as in the Interceptor...etc.

Huckleberry Josh
08-26-2001, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the info fellas ! I have one more question though . You see , I have both Dewback battlepacks . I looked in a magazine a good while ago that listed a Dewback battlepack that didn't have IG-88 or Bossk with it. I didn't know if there was a third Dewback battlepack or if it was just a mistake in the magazine . So , is there a third one or not ?

r2dee2
08-26-2001, 06:33 PM
To the best of my knowledge, there are only two different #4 Dewback Battlepacks. The first one has the IG-88 and the second one has the IG-88 omitted. I have not heard of a third one with Bossk omitted, so IMHO I THINK the magazine is in error, until I hear otherwise.
BATTLEPACK #4 (http://fan.starwars.com/MicroForce2/BP4.html)

good shot jansen
08-27-2001, 08:26 AM
to celebrate the release of the se of the origianl trilogy.

oly the 1st two waves were released with the silver label.

as r2 and swaffy mentioned above, there were some differences between the two different releases.

in the battle pack line, the BIG difference was that a figure was dropped from each of the 1st 8 battle packs when this was done. the strange thing about this, was that the galoob sw site, never mentioned anything about the dropped figures. it's one of the biggest mysteries in the galoob sw lines.

as fer the action fleet vehicles. when origianlly released under the silver label, the vehicles (as r2 has pointed out) were clean machines. there was no "weathered" effects or battle scarring on any of the 1st release vehicles. additionally, the a-wing and the shuttle, had different mechanisims for the cockpit canopy. originally, the hinge was concealed within the cockpit, and then after the label was changed to gold, the hinge was mounted on the exterior, and thus visible.

another strange change, was the darth vader tie fighter, when originally released, it was a larger version, and then prior to the gold label being introduced, galoob released a smaller version, which became the ifsofacto version. you can get both a large, and small version of the tie advanced with a silver label, the difference with the small version between silver and gold is the added "weathered effects for the later gold label release.

of further note, the initial production run of the 1st 2500 of each of the 1st wave vehicles (x-wing, vader's tie, a-wing, at-at, shuttle, and snowspeeder) were individually numbered with a clear blue sticker on the top cellophane portion of the box. this was also done for the kay-bee exclusive two pack of the landspeeder and at-st.

also there was a japan only release of vadfer tie, and lukes x-wing done up in a pewter look which was limited to an indiviually numbered run of 4800.

i know this is all old hat for the long time posteres here, but as we seem to be gettin' some new blood, this all may be new news to them :)

all of the above is described in great detail over at r2dee2's (http://fan.starwars.com/MicroForce/MicroForce.html) micro force page.

JediTricks
08-27-2001, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by good shot jansen
additionally, the a-wing and the shuttle, had different mechanisims for the cockpit canopy. originally, the hinge was concealed within the cockpit, and then after the label was changed to gold, the hinge was mounted on the exterior, and thus visible.I think this is not quite accurate, I believe the hinge change on the A-wing's cockpit came after they dropped the numbered boxes, but were still in the Silver logo boxes.

I think the change came because the interior hinge was far too floppy and impossible to set back into place if it popped out.

good shot jansen
08-27-2001, 09:36 AM
this auction is for a non numbered, silver a-wing, where the hinge is concealed (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1631661395), and here's an auction for a gold labeled a-wing with the exposed hinge (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1631813405) has anyone ever seen an exposed hinge a-wing in a silver label box?

shinakuma43
08-27-2001, 12:38 PM
GSJ: I have a Silver Logo A-Wing with the exposed hinge. It also has the battle worn markings.

I haven't seen the Darker Blue Interceptor mentioned in the thread. Well, I have the dark blue and lighter blue Interceptors with Silver Logos.

Ok, here's something I don't know and would like to know: Until recently I thought the only Avon exclusive AFs were the Darth Vader's TIE Fighter and Luke's X-WIng. Well, I have a Battle pack #7 in an Avon box on the way to me now. Does anyone know if other BPs or any other AF items were done as Avon exclusives?

All three Playsets were originally released with Silver Logos too. I just found that out about a week ago when I saw a completed auction were someone got all three with Silver Logos for about 18.51. I'd love to know if there are differences on the included vehicles, so if anyone knows please let me know.

Later,
S43

good shot jansen
08-27-2001, 02:33 PM
i wuz never aware until jt posted this morning, that the exposed hinge a-wing came in a silver logo box!, and to boot, you's even has "weathering". i wonder when and why the change in production wuz mandated, and at what point it wuz changed?

jkf! where fore art thou?!

shinakuma43
08-27-2001, 04:39 PM
Hmm, now I have to be on the lookout for the A-Wing with the visible hinge and no weathering paint job.

In case anyone's interested, my BP #7 Canadian Avon exclusive arrived today and I put up some images:

http://www.geocities.com/sgouki43/AvonBP7.html

Later,
S43

r2dee2
08-27-2001, 06:45 PM
shinakuma43, thanks for verifying that all 3 playsets were released with both the silver and gold logos. I've been on the look-out for the Yavin playset in silver, as I have the Death Star and Hoth playsets both in silver and gold.

There is a slight difference in the packaging for one thing. The "window" on the silver logo box is smaller than the gold logo box. The picture on the top of the box reveals a little more in one box then in another too.

I have not found a difference in the Lord Vader TIE in the Death Star playset yet, but there is a small difference in the snowspeeders. The snowspeeder from the silver logo Ice Planet Hoth playset is slightly more "red" than the one in the gold logo box. This is in keeping with the snowspeeders in the regular Action Fleet vehicle sets. The first release without the battle damage, also has more "red" markings than the battle damaged later released version in the gold logo box....and when I say more red markings, I don't mean there are more markings, just that the markings that are there are more red in one than the other.

shinakuma43
08-28-2001, 01:34 AM
R2: Your comment about the Yavin Playset made me wonder if I was correct. It was the last playset released so I thought maybe I just assumed all three had the Silver Logos. Well, it took a little while but I found the completed auction. I was off, the final bid was 18.52. The Yavin Rebel Base included in the auction was in fact the Gold Logod version. So, maybe the Yavin Rebel Base was never released with a Silver Logo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1624316503

I never noticed the difference in the red coloring on the Snowspeeders but I'll have to check when I get home. Thanks for the info on the silver logo sets. Hopefully I'll get them soon enough and will be able to see for myself.

Later,
S43

JediTricks
08-28-2001, 09:56 AM
Gah! Packaging variation overload! ;) POTJ has totally worn my opinion of this sort of thing out.

Shin, that's the one I got, silver logo, exposed hinge, weathered paint. Until GSJ sent me a numbered A-wing (thanks again for that GSJ), I didn't know they came unweathered.

As for Yavin, I knew it only came with the gold logo because it was released a bit after the first 2 playsets, I remember getting that one when it came out in June of '97 (just after the SEs).

I feel like such a shrubbery as SSG's Galoob editor compared to expert R2dee2. :p

Huckleberry Josh
09-02-2001, 02:16 PM
I looked at my Imperial and Shadows of the Empire packages . I'm a little confused . If the silver logo ones come with the extrea figure , then why doesn't my Imperial Hunters battlepack ( W/IG-88) have the silver logo ? Also , My Shadows of the Empire battlepack has the siver logo but doesn't have the extra figure . Why is this?

r2dee2
09-02-2001, 05:00 PM
I've not ever seen a #4 Battlepack with a silver logo and have no idea if it was ever released with one. It's odd, since both the #3 and #5 were released with the silver logo.

[] 68010 #4 Imperial Hunters " Dewback"..Sandtrooper, Boba Fett, Greedo, Bossk, IG-88 (extra figure) . 1996 Gold logo
[] 68010 #4 Galactic Hunters " Dewback"..Sandtrooper, Boba Fett, Greedo, Bossk. 1996/1997 Gold logo

THERE ARE THREE VERSIONS OF BATTLE PACK #5...and perhaps one more version exists.
[] 68010 #5 Shadows of the Empire "Swoops (2)" (SIX FIGURES).. Dash Rendar, Prince Xizor, Guri, Chewbacca, LE-BO2D9 (Leebo), Jix . Display stand 1995/1996 Silver logo.
[] 68010 #5 Shadows of the Empire "Swoops (2)" (SIX FIGURES).. Dash Rendar, Prince Xizor, Guri, Skahtul*, LE-BO2D9 (Leebo), Jix . Display stand 1996 Gold logo. *Skahtul is the name change for the Chewbacca figure.
[] 68010 #5 Shadows of the Empire "Swoops (2)" (FIVE FIGURES).. Dash Rendar, Prince Xizor, Guri, Skahtul*, Jix . Display stand 1996 Gold logo * Skahtul is listed on the sticker, but the figure is actually the one omitted in this third pack....and the Leebo name is omitted from the sticker, but the figure IS included in the pack....so perhaps there is another version out there with a fix for this discrepancy.

With the SOTE Battle Pack #5, you have the extra figure in both the silver and gold logo pack. Then there is another gold logo pack that is missing the Chewie (Skahtul) figure. My battle packs page shows all three versions.

SWAFMAN
09-02-2001, 09:03 PM
Jeeeeze! Now that I know about the silver logo AF playsets, and have confirmed that mine are all 3 gold-logo'd versions, I'm feeling "incomplete." If anyone sees any of the silver logo sets around, and isn't already trying to win the bid for them, please let me know. Does anyone know if all three playsets were released as silver logo versions, or just the two shown in Shin's post?

JediTricks
09-03-2001, 08:34 AM
I have no idea Swaffy, but I'm just posting to let you know that you don't have to put up zip files of wavs that are less than 20k like this one, you can just put up the wav itself.

SWAFMAN
09-03-2001, 11:00 AM
JT -

JediTricks
09-04-2001, 08:59 AM
Gah! Travolta! ;)