PDA

View Full Version : JT's Comic-Con thread (what to expect in coverage)

JediTricks
07-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Hi guys, didja miss me for the last 5 days while I was at the Con?

Annnnnyway, I'll be playing catch-up all this week on the coverage I amassed at SDCC last week, but it will be in stops and starts as I have other stuff going on as well. I ended up write the live Hasbro SW panel thing we had in the news (it says SirSteve because Steve was planning to, but we switched it up at the last moment) so I'm not sure there's much more I need to add to that. Other than that, here's the very basic outline of SW stuff I want to get to:

a little taste of the con in general, like what time the HasbroToyShop line capped on preview night, cool stuff from the SW pavilion, and more.
a hands-on write up with the new removable-blade Force FX lightsabers, and with the new Jabba set.
a write up on the GG/Sideshow/Kotobukiya/eFX Star Wars collectibles panel (GG and Sideshow suffered technical difficulties with their presentations so not everything got covered)
a couple corrections.
a detailed write-up of the walkthrough of Hasbro's SW booth with brand manager Derryl DePriest.
and the biggest thing IMO, I've got to transcribe a 2 hour Q&A/interview I had with Derryl that had to span 2 days.

That list isn't in order, as I have no idea when I'll get time to do which.

If you have any questions, want my impressions on anything, or just a suggestion, feel free to shoot it at this thread.

Also, I want to thank the Hasbro SW team for their incredible generosity with their time at this year's con, they were so helpful and full of info, there's tons of little tidbits I want to share with you guys (and a few I can't :D). You'll be seeing that come up in my interviews a few times and I wanted you guys to know before reading it that it's absolutely genuine, the Hasbro SW team really outdid themselves for SSG's readers I think, and I hope you either feel the same once you read the coverage, or at least don't think I'm trying to BS those guys or you guys.

El Chuxter
07-26-2010, 03:31 PM
I missed you so much I had to track you down.

JediTricks
07-26-2010, 03:41 PM
I got so mixed up with other stuff going on yesterday that I was on my way to my last panel of the show when I remembered I hadn't caught up with you! I had that blown panel in the morning, then an interview, lunch, shopping, ran into some friends unexpectedly, more shopping, had to meet up with Steve and Tycho, spend more money, and sing the first 2 lines of a Madonna song to get into the Adult Swim booth all before I realized I had totally spaced on you.

BTW, my Sideshow card was a crappy $20. The last 2 years or so, I've gotten worse and worse cards. This is the nicest quality card yet too. :p

And then after hanging with you, then doing my Starship Smackdown panel (I got in late, but saw enough to really enjoy none the less), I gassed up my car, and took a leisurely 3 hour drive in bumper to bumper track back to Hollywood (it was like a mobile traffic jam almost the whole way).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-26-2010, 03:58 PM
The coverage sounds awesome - thanks so much for getting it! Get to whatever you want first, but I'm most excited about the Derryl conversations . . . just so you know. ;)

bigbarada
07-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Yeah, the DePriest interview is what I'm most interested in. That and the walkthrough of the Star Wars booth. The whatever the corrections are....

Basically, start from the bottom of your list and work your way up. ;)

Ando
07-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks for all the hard work. Can't wait to hear all that have to tell us.

Maradona
07-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Prepaid parking was a total success for me. Hopefully everyone had the same experience.

bigbarada
07-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Did you guys talk at all about the possibilities of a Sail Barge?

JimJamBonds
07-26-2010, 10:30 PM
...I gassed up my car, and took a leisurely 3 hour drive in bumper to bumper track back to Hollywood (it was like a mobile traffic jam almost the whole way).

So traffic was bad on the San Angeles freeways? lol

Droid
07-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks again to all the work you guys do to report back to those of us who can't be at these conventions.

I can't wait to read the interview.

As I look at the other sites, it really does seem to me like this site is actually more positive. That we make an effort to understand things that we don't like and to at least see why Hasbro makes certain decisions. And if we really hate something, we are usually pretty articulate about why. Hopefully Hasbro appreciates that.

Really if you look at some of the other sites I'm not sure why those folks are still in the hobby.

El Chuxter
07-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Prepaid parking was a total success for me. Hopefully everyone had the same experience.

Well, the trolley ride there on Sunday was the single most crowded trolley I've ever been in. But the ride back was nearly deserted, so it balanced out. lol

sebillba
07-27-2010, 06:29 AM
Thanks very much for sharing JT, really looking forward to all your reports, especially the exclusive tidbits. I'll never get to attend one of these conventions myself, so it's great to visit vicariously through you and the SSG staff - we really appreciate all your hard work. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
07-27-2010, 12:58 PM
First, an update. I had posted live from the Family Guy panel about the SW prequel question, but the article didn't have its body attached correctly, so I've put that in place. I am not sure if I'll bother to write-up what I saw from the 9 minutes of the ROTJ episode they showed, "It's a Trap!" but I will say it looked better than the ESB ep.

Second, I'll just do the main correction I had in mind right now and post it in the news regarding the Hoth Assault boxed sets.

Third, I hope you guys have read the live coverage from the Hasbro SW Panel, I ended up writing it on Steve's computer, hence his name is on it:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=61&p2_articleid=2982
I'm really pleased how much came through in that one, that was the first live update I found not difficult (except Steve's computer volume was up WAY loud and making a sound every time I posted, which was embarrassing :p). It's also the one that needs the correction from 11:50am. And there are a few comments in there that were responses to questions folks were asking in the live box, I didn't realize they weren't getting posted in the main window so I was answering them in the main window assuming you guys would be able to read 'em.

The coverage sounds awesome - thanks so much for getting it! Get to whatever you want first, but I'm most excited about the Derryl conversations . . . just so you know. ;)Oh, I know, believe me. :D

Yeah, the DePriest interview is what I'm most interested in. That and the walkthrough of the Star Wars booth. The whatever the corrections are....

Basically, start from the bottom of your list and work your way up. ;)I would, although the Derryl walkthrough and interview are going to be beastly work because I have to transcribe all of it by hand, but some of the other stuff is in my head (like the force fx hands-on).

Thanks for all the hard work. Can't wait to hear all that have to tell us.You're quite welcome. Any questions you have about the coverage or the con, please hit me up, it'll help jog my memory.

Prepaid parking was a total success for me. Hopefully everyone had the same experience.Oh my goodness, that was so perfect (except the first day finding the entirely hidden convention center parking lot entrance), that really made my convention so much better, being able to drop off stuff in the car, bring extra clothes for parties, and not use the trolley, it was just fantastic!

Did you guys talk at all about the possibilities of a Sail Barge?I did not because Tycho spent so much time doing it that I felt like a heel. I will tell you FROM MY RECOLLECTION WHICH MAY BE FLAWED that the responses I heard sounded like there was a little movement in that direction, a little more hope than before. They've already been trying to figure out a way to make it work, but as their answers keep saying, there isn't enough entertainment support and it isn't aggressive enough by itself. But they are trying, they know we want it, and when we support stuff like the big AT-AT, it helps move us 1 step closer to stuff like the sail barge. It's not something we'll be seeing tomorrow, but it's also not dead, just waiting for a way to make it work at market.

So traffic was bad on the San Angeles freeways? lolI always thought that was where San Francisco and Los Angeles merged to make a supercity. Demolition Man was kinda confusing in that regard, like so what, an earthquake causes a supercity on the edge of Culifuhnia, but why would the rest of the country be like that? The only thing they sadly got right was Taco Bell. ;)

Thanks again to all the work you guys do to report back to those of us who can't be at these conventions.

I can't wait to read the interview.

As I look at the other sites, it really does seem to me like this site is actually more positive. That we make an effort to understand things that we don't like and to at least see why Hasbro makes certain decisions. And if we really hate something, we are usually pretty articulate about why. Hopefully Hasbro appreciates that.

Really if you look at some of the other sites I'm not sure why those folks are still in the hobby.You're so welcome. :)

I am glad that positivity comes through for you, I feel it too but so often it seems like outsiders see our group being fastidious as being entirely negative when it's often anything but. I guarantee you though that the Hasbro SW team sees it as a positive, and understands where we're coming from, and appreciates that we know we can't have everything our way but we can still strive for it.

Well, the trolley ride there on Sunday was the single most crowded trolley I've ever been in. But the ride back was nearly deserted, so it balanced out. lolThat's so funny, last year I took the Sunday trolley to and from Tycho's place, and the ride in was empty while the ride back was wall to wall people, like standing in another SDCC line to get home.

Thanks very much for sharing JT, really looking forward to all your reports, especially the exclusive tidbits. I'll never get to attend one of these conventions myself, so it's great to visit vicariously through you and the SSG staff - we really appreciate all your hard work. :thumbsup:Sure thing, but I hope you actually do some day get a chance to go, because it'll blow your mind. I know it's a crazy long journey from the UK, but if you can make 5 days happen in your schedule, you'll have an amazing time.

Ok, back to the salt mines for ol' JT...

JediTricks
07-27-2010, 01:26 PM
The correction: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=61&p2_articleid=2985

Lord Malakite
07-27-2010, 01:46 PM
First, an update. I had posted live from the Family Guy panel about the SW prequel question, but the article didn't have its body attached correctly, so I've put that in place. I am not sure if I'll bother to write-up what I saw from the 9 minutes of the ROTJ episode they showed, "It's a Trap!" but I will say it looked better than the ESB ep.
Did they show what Meg was?

Demolition Man was kinda confusing in that regard, like so what, an earthquake causes a supercity on the edge of Culifuhnia, but why would the rest of the country be like that?
Nah, San Angeles became a supercity because of the Corona Aurora, "Crown of the Gods". Power Rangers taught me that. :yes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-27-2010, 02:09 PM
The correction: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=61&p2_articleid=2985
Awesome shots of the boxes. I love the art, though I wonder if it will properly convey what the consumer is getting (they can always just look on the back anyway).

For comparison's sake, the 2007 Ultimate Battle Pack from Hoth was $50 and had 3 super-articulated figures, 5 less-than-super-articulated figures, a repaint of the 1980 AT-ST, and a new turret. The new stuff is $80 combined and has 6 super-articulated figures (one of which looks to me mostly new, and another of which has significantly new parts), a repaint of the superior (but technically not ESB-accurate) 2009 AT-ST, a repaint of the 2007 turret, the 2003 E-WEB cannon, and a new Rebel cannon. I guess that's about right. :p Getting the AT-ST again with extra figures and stuff for cheaper than it was a year ago is pretty great, at least. I'm excited for these sets.

JediTricks
07-27-2010, 02:24 PM
My Force FX removable blade saber hands-on writeup is up: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=61&p2_articleid=2986
I really didn't expect to have that much to say about them, but it flowed quite easily. I tried to keep each paragraph clean and short and separate so whatever info you'd want to know is there without a lot of searching through my overwritten prose. :p

BTW, the HasbroToyShop booth line opened on preview night at 5:30 when the exhibit hall opened and capped at 5:50. Friday through Sunday there was no line. :p I guess Triple-T Sgt. Slaughter and Galactus really drew folks in, they were the ones to sell out and once gone, the lines went with them.

I'm going to take a break and then start transcribing the display walkthrough audio.

Did they show what Meg was?I thought about the discussion we had on here about that very question when they showed it. She's the Sarlacc, and the grossest SW Meg yet. I guess TV Guide got it wrong about Rush Limbaugh being the Sarlacc.

Nah, San Angeles became a supercity because of the Corona Aurora, "Crown of the Gods". Power Rangers taught me that. :yes:That reminds me, Nickelodeon was giving out comic-con exclusive DVDs of the pilot PR episode, I grabbed one for you.

Awesome shots of the boxes. I love the art, though I wonder if it will properly convey what the consumer is getting (they can always just look on the back anyway).In this case, the art shows everything in the box... plus snow. :p Whether that'll be dynamic enough to carry it over the finish line, I don't know, but I suspect I'll end up buying both since I passed on the first pressing of the Hoth Turret, and the new Radar Cannon is nice, $40 is decent for each set.

For comparison's sake, the 2007 Ultimate Battle Pack from Hoth was $50 and had 3 super-articulated figures, 5 less-than-super-articulated figures, a repaint of the 1980 AT-ST, and a new turret. The new stuff is $80 combined and has 6 super-articulated figures (one of which looks to me mostly new, and another of which has significantly new parts), a repaint of the superior (but technically not ESB-accurate) 2009 AT-ST, a repaint of the 2007 turret, the 2003 E-WEB cannon, and a new Rebel cannon. I guess that's about right. :p Getting the AT-ST again with extra figures and stuff for cheaper than it was a year ago is pretty great, at least. I'm excited for these sets.Yeah, that's the long and short of it. These are collector-friendlier sets I think, and splitting the packs makes it easier to build whatever armies folks want. I suspect some collectors will balk at $40 for each of these though, just because they're not used to this format and it's closed-box presentation, but I hope folks see the bigger picture of these before they make up their minds.

El Chuxter
07-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Some collectors might balk at the $40 because they already have a lot of the contents. :) As much as I'd like the other Trooper, the radar cannon, and the turret, that's kinda pricey for just those three items.

BTW, was it actually Hasbro who designed those sweet dioramas, or did they bring in someone? Those topped all the previous dioramas they've brought in.

JimJamBonds
07-27-2010, 02:41 PM
So traffic was bad on the San Angeles freeways? lol

I always thought that was where San Francisco and Los Angeles merged to make a supercity. Demolition Man was kinda confusing in that regard, like so what, an earthquake causes a supercity on the edge of Culifuhnia, but why would the rest of the country be like that? The only thing they sadly got right was Taco Bell. ;)

Ehh doesn't really matter, you got the reference that is the important part. lol Just remember that "even the wild west wasn't the wild west.":D

El Chuxter
07-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Demolition Man was just a great little satire. You can't think too much about the logic of it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Nice FX saber write-up. I'll probably end up getting one, as I don't have any previous versions. I like the idea of the belt clip, so it bridges the gap between the prop display versions and the other FX ones.

DarkJedi5
07-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks JT I really enjoyed the saber write up as well. I'm actually really excited about the Darth Maul ones since I never picked up the originals I'll probably end up buying two of the removable blade ones. You didn't mention it but I'm curious about the belt clip for that one... have they designed a belt clip solution for it and if so did you see how it works?

Lord Malakite
07-27-2010, 03:58 PM
That reminds me, Nickelodeon was giving out comic-con exclusive DVDs of the pilot PR episode, I grabbed one for you.

I saw that. :) I told Steve to go pick me up one if he wasn't doing anything constructive and he replied that he already did. :D I'm guessing the one you picked up and the one he said he already had are in fact one in the same, so I greatly appreciate it JT. :thumbsup:

Heard Power Rangers was actually out in full force this year at Comic-Con. Saban's paid suit actors at the Nickelodeon booth giving out those freebie DVDs, a Power Morphicon 2010 booth with former Ranger actors (like Walter Jones) signing autographs and such for that convention in late August. Even a few former Ranger actors going around cosplaying, like Adelaide Kane, who went around as Wonder Woman. I'm assuming she was doing that of her own free will and wasn't payed to do it like the Ranger suit actors. Can't imagine them paying her to suit act as Wonder Woman and then let her get away with taking photos of herself flipping off Wonder Woman's recent costume change. lol And of course Alex Borstein (of Family Guy) was also there. She had a stint on Power Rangers as a voice actor.

Ando
07-27-2010, 04:48 PM
I enjoyed the write up on the FX sabers and look forward to getting the Obi Wan Kenobi version. I was going to pass on all of these, but since they're including the belt clip, I think I will at least get one.

With the (re)release of the Mace Windu and Luke Skywalker standard sabers, is Hasbro "caught up" to the point where they will talk about any new sabers that they might be making, specifically Ahsoka? My wife REALLY wants an Ahsoka saber. Especially since she's bought me 5 of my own already.

JediTricks
07-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Some collectors might balk at the $40 because they already have a lot of the contents. :) As much as I'd like the other Trooper, the radar cannon, and the turret, that's kinda pricey for just those three items.That's the initial reaction I suspect a lot of collectors will have, but I think it's as much product as the AT-ST set, so it shouldn't seem like "less", especially with an all-new, larger-to-scale radar cannon that comes with its power energizer cell like the one here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Atgarptower.jpg
I guess this is the catch-22, we ask for playsets and then when we get stuff like this: http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/exclusives/p34105-hasbro.html
we balk that it's too pricey and not as much a draw as a vehicle.

BTW, was it actually Hasbro who designed those sweet dioramas, or did they bring in someone? Those topped all the previous dioramas they've brought in.Hasbro hired the guy they had build the last few for this show's (it'll be at C5 as well) and they supplied him with some of the newest toys like the turrets and AT-ATs. In '08, he was the guy in their booth dressed like Indiana Jones standing with the IJ display.

Demolition Man was just a great little satire. You can't think too much about the logic of it.But... but it's carne de rata! They farm rats in the sewers now, enough to make sizable burgers!

Nice FX saber write-up. I'll probably end up getting one, as I don't have any previous versions. I like the idea of the belt clip, so it bridges the gap between the prop display versions and the other FX ones.Cool, that's what I like about these as well, they are nice props as well as super fun which is why I'm considering the Anakin one that I normally would't.

Thanks JT I really enjoyed the saber write up as well. I'm actually really excited about the Darth Maul ones since I never picked up the originals I'll probably end up buying two of the removable blade ones. You didn't mention it but I'm curious about the belt clip for that one... have they designed a belt clip solution for it and if so did you see how it works?Sure thing, glad you liked it.

Maul's saber used the same Covertec-brand PDA clip system that the other prequel saber props used. In the movie Maul's doublesaber hilt had 1 clip towards the end, on the Force FX it has 2 since they're identical halves screwed together. So for Maul's, it should work the same as Ep 3 Anakin and Obi-Wan's belt clip system.

I saw that. :) I told Steve to go pick me up one if he wasn't doing anything constructive and he replied that he already did. :D I'm guessing the one you picked up and the one he said he already had are in fact one in the same, so I greatly appreciate it JT. :thumbsup:We discussed it during lunch on Friday so it's not shenanigans.

Heard Power Rangers was actually out in full force this year at Comic-Con. Saban's paid suit actors at the Nickelodeon booth giving out those freebie DVDs, a Power Morphicon 2010 booth with former Ranger actors (like Walter Jones) signing autographs and such for that convention in late August. Even a few former Ranger actors going around cosplaying, like Adelaide Kane, who went around as Wonder Woman. I'm assuming she was doing that of her own free will and wasn't payed to do it like the Ranger suit actors. Can't imagine them paying her to suit act as Wonder Woman and then let her get away with taking photos of herself flipping off Wonder Woman's recent costume change. lol And of course Alex Borstein (of Family Guy) was also there. She had a stint on Power Rangers as a voice actor.They had several folks handing them out, I don't think mine was from a costumed one though but from a Nick booth person instead. I didn't know Alex Borstein did a voice for PR.

There were a TON of gals dressed as Wonder Woman this year, from classic to TV show to the more recent look, zero dressed in the new "costume" though. :p

I enjoyed the write up on the FX sabers and look forward to getting the Obi Wan Kenobi version. I was going to pass on all of these, but since they're including the belt clip, I think I will at least get one.

With the (re)release of the Mace Windu and Luke Skywalker standard sabers, is Hasbro "caught up" to the point where they will talk about any new sabers that they might be making, specifically Ahsoka? My wife REALLY wants an Ahsoka saber. Especially since she's bought me 5 of my own already.They'll talk about the line's future (we do briefly in the walkthrough I'm working on right now) but they brought 2 future sabers to the con, so I don't think they're willing to talk about anything further off than that just yet. As for doing an Ahsoka one, they didn't mention at the show, the last answer they gave was "no immediate plans" back in November, but I suppose we could ask again in Q&A to see what the waters MIGHT look like, so go ahead and add that question to the thread, I'll get around to it next week or so. Remind me to try it as a hypothetical and to mention how well Ahoska is selling to girls.

Ando
07-27-2010, 05:12 PM
These are collector-friendlier sets I think, and splitting the packs makes it easier to build whatever armies folks want. I suspect some collectors will balk at $40 for each of these though, just because they're not used to this format and it's closed-box presentation, but I hope folks see the bigger picture of these before they make up their minds.

I am looking forward to these sets because I passed on the Hoth rebel trooper AND the WM exclusive SA AT-ST, so these will be easy to say yes to when I see them in the stores.

Lord Malakite
07-27-2010, 05:39 PM
I didn't know Alex Borstein did a voice for PR.
She did several voices for the show actually. Her most prominent role was voicing the main villain character Queen Machina during the Power Rangers Zeo season. In addition to that she also voiced an unseen announcer (over an intercom) for a karate tournament in one episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers first season as well as several of the random "monsters of the day" from Mighty Morphin's first and second seasons. I'm not certain if I know all of them that she voiced, but I do know of at least three. Madame Woe (from season 1), Lypsyncher (from season 2), and the Bloom of doom (also from season 2).

Few people know that Bryan Cranston (of "Malcom in the Middle" and "Breaking Bad" fame) did similar voice work for the Power Rangers show. He voiced the Snizard (from season 1) and Twin Man (also season 1). He is also the reason why Billy (the Mighty Morphin Blue Ranger) has the last name Cranston.

You know, if you wanted to you could probably see one of the Alex Borstein episodes of Power Rangers here in a few weeks. The updated reversion for "Peace, Love and Woe" (the Madame Woe episode) should be on ABC (ABC Kids) on August 14 as the second (12:30 PM) time slot. Of course whether or not you can see it (and at what time) will depend entirely on whoever your ABC affiliate is. Disney lets affiliates do almost whatever they want with shows that aren't E/I. Some time shift to earlier times or different days, others choose not to show it at all. I'm assuming you are probably KABC (Los Angeles). If so, that is being loosely tracked here (http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/prstuff/prgrid.html), or you can look at your local ABC channel's news website (all of the ones I've visited usually keep a schedule grid).

El Chuxter
07-27-2010, 05:50 PM
There were a TON of gals dressed as Wonder Woman this year, from classic to TV show to the more recent look, zero dressed in the new "costume" though. :p

I'd say lack of lead time between the debut of the costume and the con, but that never stopped anyone before, and the new costume is really simplistic. Must just be a lack of interest.

I wasn't complaining about the amount of product in the set. But I wonder how smart it is to have a few new or rare things and an equal amount of things every collector would have already for such a relatively high price.

BTW, I doubt you asked, since I didn't even think about it until just now when the variant Rebel Hoth Trooper reminded me, but you didn't happen to find out anything from Darryl or anyone else at the 'Bro what the deal was with that lone Utris M'toc at Target a few months back, did ya?

JediTricks
07-27-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm taking a quick break. It's pretty detailed, in the 10 minutes of audio I've transcribed so far, we've talked about probably 25 different things. I was trying to think up questions as we moved through the booth and Derryl as ever wants to give rounded, complete answers to make sure every angle is covered for our benefit. He and I communicate pretty fast so I have to slow down the audio to half speed in order for me to have a chance at transcribing it. This is WAAAAAAY easier than it was at Celebration IV in '07 though before we had the voice recorder that could dock to the computer. It's just that I absolutely cannot stand listening to my own voice, especially as I try to think up questions on the fly.

She did several voices for the show actually. Her most prominent role was voicing the main villain character Queen Machina during the Power Rangers Zeo season. In addition to that she also voiced an unseen announcer (over an intercom) for a karate tournament in one episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers first season as well as several of the random "monsters of the day" from Mighty Morphin's first and second seasons. I'm not certain if I know all of them that she voiced, but I do know of at least three. Madame Woe (from season 1), Lypsyncher (from season 2), and the Bloom of doom (also from season 2).

Few people know that Bryan Cranston (of "Malcom in the Middle" and "Breaking Bad" fame) did similar voice work for the Power Rangers show. He voiced the Snizard (from season 1) and Twin Man (also season 1). He is also the reason why Billy (the Mighty Morphin Blue Ranger) has the last name Cranston.

You know, if you wanted to you could probably see one of the Alex Borstein episodes of Power Rangers here in a few weeks. The updated reversion for "Peace, Love and Woe" (the Madame Woe episode) should be on ABC (ABC Kids) on August 14 as the second (12:30 PM) time slot. Of course whether or not you can see it (and at what time) will depend entirely on whoever your ABC affiliate is. Disney lets affiliates do almost whatever they want with shows that aren't E/I. Some time shift to earlier times or different days, others choose not to show it at all. I'm assuming you are probably KABC (Los Angeles). If so, that is being loosely tracked here (http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/prstuff/prgrid.html), or you can look at your local ABC channel's news website (all of the ones I've visited usually keep a schedule grid).Huh, that's pretty interesting. Yes, I'm KABC.

I'd say lack of lead time between the debut of the costume and the con, but that never stopped anyone before, and the new costume is really simplistic. Must just be a lack of interest.I think that the new costume is what's such a let-down.

I wasn't complaining about the amount of product in the set. But I wonder how smart it is to have a few new or rare things and an equal amount of things every collector would have already for such a relatively high price.Oh. Well, since it's army-building, I think it's kind of a gimmie. I believe K-3PO is on a new body too, so there's actually not all that much straight reuse.

BTW, I doubt you asked, since I didn't even think about it until just now when the variant Rebel Hoth Trooper reminded me, but you didn't happen to find out anything from Darryl or anyone else at the 'Bro what the deal was with that lone Utris M'toc at Target a few months back, did ya?Sorry, totally slipped my mind.

JediTricks
07-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Ok, so I'm about halfway through the walkthrough with Derryl audio, and while I did take an additional 40 minute break to take care of other stuff, it's been a long climb. There just aren't transcription programs out there, audio transcription via PC is still relegated to trained voice command software like Dragon Naturally Speaking which cannot handle this. To give you some idea how much is going on in this interview, I'm 20 minutes into the audio and 3,500+ words, 93 paragraph breaks. I will try to get the rest of the audio transcribed tonight, but it may be tomorrow. If I were to send it to a transcription service instead, I could be looking at around $150 to $300. I found someone with an idea of how to do it for around $60 using Amazon Mechanical Turk crowdsourcing, but I'm not quite ready to drop that much coin - although I may go for it by tomorrow as it's taking upwards of 8 times as long to transcribe as it did to record.

DarkJedi5
07-27-2010, 11:21 PM
Ok, so I'm about halfway through the walkthrough with Derryl audio, and while I did take an additional 40 minute break to take care of other stuff, it's been a long climb. There just aren't transcription programs out there, audio transcription via PC is still relegated to trained voice command software like Dragon Naturally Speaking which cannot handle this. To give you some idea how much is going on in this interview, I'm 20 minutes into the audio and 3,500+ words, 93 paragraph breaks. I will try to get the rest of the audio transcribed tonight, but it may be tomorrow. If I were to send it to a transcription service instead, I could be looking at around $150 to $300. I found someone with an idea of how to do it for around $60 using Amazon Mechanical Turk crowdsourcing, but I'm not quite ready to drop that much coin - although I may go for it by tomorrow as it's taking upwards of 8 times as long to transcribe as it did to record.

FYI I've had great success with Dragon Dictation on my iPod, it doesn't require any voice training and makes very few mistakes. Though, I'm not sure how precise it would be in a crowded space with lots of background conversations.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Damn, that sounds like a lot of work. Are you going to post it in parts, so that you can take some time off in-between postings? That might ease the pain a bit.

FYI I've had great success with Dragon Dictation on my iPod, it doesn't require any voice training and makes very few mistakes. Though, I'm not sure how precise it would be in a crowded space with lots of background conversations.
Also, that could get difficult with the names and proper nouns from SW, possibly confusing the program.

JediTricks
07-28-2010, 02:50 AM
I decided to try a program I spotted while searching for auto-transcribing programs, it was merely an audio playback program so you could manually type out the transcription, but it had hotkeys for rewinding and it slowed below 50%. The audio isn't as good at slow speed as Windows Media Player, but at 40% of the speed we were talking I was able to get a speed that I could pretty much type out everything as it came in, and the rewind hotkey (F7) meant I could jump back without leaving the keyboard, so that sped it up to better than 3 times as slow which was manageable. Thus, I am done, minus a little spellchecking, and will post it in a few minutes before I hit the sheets.

I don't think I've ever told you guys this before, but it cracks me up to transcribe these this way because Derryl and I at 50% speed sound a little drunk as we're talking about Star Wars. :p If I didn't believe so strenuously in the written word (searchability and so forth), I'd have just posted these as podcasts with minimal editing and some background filtering. But that's bandwidth-intensive and it's not searchable, so I transcribe. For you. You're welcome.

FYI I've had great success with Dragon Dictation on my iPod, it doesn't require any voice training and makes very few mistakes. Though, I'm not sure how precise it would be in a crowded space with lots of background conversations.There's a lot of crowd noise and also a lot of Star Wars terms, so I chose to avoid it on my ipod touch. The mic I have for it is ok, but in the exhibit hall there's just too much ambient noise going on.

Damn, that sounds like a lot of work. Are you going to post it in parts, so that you can take some time off in-between postings? That might ease the pain a bit.I thought about doing that, but because it's a walkthrough on the booth and we started with the basic figures, I felt it'd come off front-loaded so it was better to get it done all at once.

Also, that could get difficult with the names and proper nouns from SW, possibly confusing the program.Yeah. I would hope it'd just spit out gibberish and I could fix it as I went through the final edit pass, but it just wasn't the time right now to play with a new piece of tech.

JediTricks
07-28-2010, 03:10 AM
7,770 words, 39,455 characters. AND THAT'S NOT EVEN THE MAJORITY OF THE INTERVIEW WITH DERRYL!!! I do it all for you guys.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=61&p2_articleid=2987

It's a bit of a giant mass. I may break it up into multiple pages, and it may need spacing changes as it's all line breaks, but at least I got it posted and for now that's good enough, give you guys something to chew on for a little while when I'm working on the main Q&A interview.

Ando
07-28-2010, 10:36 AM
JT, your hard work is much appreciated.

sonofsokol
07-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Amazing write-up of your walk through... what a treat. Lots of great tid-bits that we never would have known about without you. THANK YOU!!!

One thing I noticed in talking about the galactic heroes is that he mentioned a Darth Revan figure... I don't ever remember seeing a Darth Revan figure in my (son's) GH collecting... Is this something new that is coming out or did I miss it entirely???

Snowtrooper
07-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks for going through all the trouble of typing this out. I really enjoyed reading it.

Darth Metalmute
07-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Great write-up JT.

I have a curious question. How awkward is it when you bring up a negative comment about one of their figures? Does he look at you with daggers in his eyes or does he take it all in stride?

El Chuxter
07-28-2010, 12:35 PM
I was there when he said that, and JT cut out the part where Darryl kicked him in the junk, jumped on him, began beating him with a Masterpiece Grimlock, and bloodied him around the head and shoulders until he cried uncle and promised to buy an entire case of the General Grievous.

JediTricks
07-28-2010, 01:49 PM
JT, your hard work is much appreciated.Thank you very much, I am glad you guys are getting something special out of it, that's what keeps me going.

Amazing write-up of your walk through... what a treat. Lots of great tid-bits that we never would have known about without you. THANK YOU!!!

One thing I noticed in talking about the galactic heroes is that he mentioned a Darth Revan figure... I don't ever remember seeing a Darth Revan figure in my (son's) GH collecting... Is this something new that is coming out or did I miss it entirely???You are quite welcome.

I noticed that Revan statement about GH, but because I haven't been following GH the last couple of years that strongly, I figured either it was in there and I missed it, or we got confused about Revan being in Muggs. It's slightly possible that he's talking about one we don't have yet (as one of the other Hasbro guys put it in a conversation a few days earlier, these cons come months and even a year after they've moved on to the next thing, so they're not even sure if it's at retail sometimes), but I wouldn't bank on it just yet either, it's very easy to get mixed up with so many things in the booth.

Great write-up JT.

I have a curious question. How awkward is it when you bring up a negative comment about one of their figures? Does he look at you with daggers in his eyes or does he take it all in stride?Ah, I am glad you asked that. Initially, back when I first started doing cons in '07, I found it incredibly difficult to bring up any negativity with this team, it felt rude to call them out to their faces about the stuff they work hard on. But over the last 4 years, having read all the Q&As and talked to them face to face at these conventions, I've learned that this team is pretty open to criticism. When they feel it's unfair, they will defend their position, and when they feel it's fair they will treat it as a learning experience. Derryl never bats an eyelash at criticisms like those I threw at Grievous, or the fuzzy Ep 3 Sidious soft goods (which I may actually be wrong on, I since remembered there was an outfit in the movie that was velour, but since Parrish couldn't make it last minute, we'll have to wait until that "bonus question" in August's Q&A). The entire team is quite gracious with criticism from any fan, but the more you get to know each one at these cons, the more you feel out their limits in such things and the more they do the same with you. Someone they don't know might complain at them about something wildly and they'll just smile and listen, but when they've built a rapport with someone they will smile AND get into a real discussion about it. Heck, I'll be standing there talking to exclusives director Brian Merten for a while and he'll start pointing out the negative things on his stuff! That's what I find most amazing, sometimes I'll slow down and think about a negative comment trying to spin it into a question while it tumbles sloppily out of my voicebox while also swallowing that lump in my throat, and they'll be right on board admitting that they felt the same way.

That said, when I picked out a few questions from our Q&A voting thread to get answered (that will be coming up in the interview), I made sure to use a certain TYPE of question, so I took the "where are the missing Clone Wars figs" question over the "better TIE Interceptor please!" one. I could have stood there for 20 minutes just ripping into C-3PO, but it would have taken focus off the the good aspects of the line, it might have been a little awkward, and furthermore the figure designer wasn't there to defend it. So I make a conscious choice to pick my battles, sometimes I'm a little overly cautious - in looking over the Q&A voting thread, I can't imagine why I didn't ask Derryl about the exclusives distribution question, but I remember making the editorial choice at the time to not print it up (and I ate it so hard for doing so when we picked up the final part of the interview and I found I had asked 1 of the questions DURING the walkthrough, leaving us really short, and I had no internet access to look up more questions).

Bottom line, and this comes up in my interview later as well, but I really believe it, it's the fact that the team has so much passion for the Star Wars brand, that they really are fans and not just marketing people who jumped into the brand, that makes it moderately comfortable to say to their faces "this isn't good enough, this could do better". And I hope the team understands that when we do say that to them, it's because we do like what they're trying to do and just want it to be better, to be the best it can be.

(side note: I have a couple questions in the upcoming interview probably that long, and saying them to Derryl's face we were cracking up at how long it took to read them out loud because they do have interesting questions, but man are they long to say!)

BTW, the Wooof and Gamorrean Guard statements I made in the walkthrough about our readers, I believe both of those were specifically referring to bigbarada's posts. :thumbsup: He's crazy for Wooof and I had read the night before he had faith that the Gamorrean would be wearing fuzzy pants by production time when others weren't seeing it with that figure. It's a nice figure in person, but it takes a second to really wrap your head around on first viewing.

El Chuxter
07-28-2010, 01:51 PM
I could not have spent thirty minutes ripping into C-3PO. He is awesomeness personified. If he were a sandwich, he would be awesomeness on a bun, and would not even need ketchup.

JediTricks
07-28-2010, 01:54 PM
I could not have spent thirty minutes ripping into C-3PO. He is awesomeness personified. If he were a sandwich, he would be awesomeness on a bun, and would not even need ketchup.
It'd be a small sandwich though, and it'd have too much bread in ratio to too little meat, and the bread would keep falling off. :p

Of course, that also reminds me to mention that I could have spent 30 minutes talking about each and every figure in the booth, positive or negative each. This booth walkthrough was a very last-minute idea for me and was MEANT to be quick. That 45 minutes did actually fly by, but I knew Derryl and I could have talked until they physically removed us from the hall about the booth alone, so I had to gloss over some stuff and I had to make sure we moved it along from item to item, which is why there aren't a lot of transitions in the written interview (the majority of which were "alright" from either myself or Derryl, or just pointing at something new), this was something new for me and while Derryl was ready to talk about whatever caught my eye, I knew I had to rein my natural affinity for completeness in to focus on stuff I thought the fans would be most curious about. It wasn't as awkward in person as I think it might look on the page, just so you know.

Darth Metalmute
07-28-2010, 02:49 PM
It'd be a small sandwich though, and it'd have too much bread in ratio to too little meat, and the bread would keep falling off. :p

Boy, that could be taken the wrong way considering how big 3PO's codpiece is.:laugh:

JediTricks
07-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Aaaaaannnnyway...

I just transcribed the first question and answer of the interview. Since I had written the questions ahead of time, I only need to tweak them a little to fit what I actually said in person. That said, the 1st question and answer took 11 minutes all by themselves just to SAY! :D

BTW, I'm absolutely serious, if you guys have questions, throw them at me, I asked the team a ton of questions just walking around, no recordings, no intention of turning into news data, and I can't even remember all the stuff I want to share with you guys, so I need prompting. :p

El Chuxter
07-28-2010, 03:15 PM
IIRC (and I'm asking because parts of Sunday are a blur, and because no one else was there), you said you didn't ask about the Teek/Star Tours exclusive at all, correct? I don't suppose the other possible Ewoks for this canceled exclusive set came up? (I'm still assuming Kaink and Teek were meant for this set, and they confirmed Chuhka-Trok was in it, and I'd guess the Kneesa that was initially to come with Wicket as well.)

Ando
07-28-2010, 03:50 PM
BTW, I'm absolutely serious, if you guys have questions, throw them at me, I asked the team a ton of questions just walking around, no recordings, no intention of turning into news data, and I can't even remember all the stuff I want to share with you guys, so I need prompting. :p

SWEET, cause I have more questions:

- Big vehicles: Are they still looking at these to succeed on their own on a case by case basis or have big vehicles become a cumulative success? In other words, if the next one tanks, will it tank the line or are big vehicles considered a success at this point? I for one have committed to buying at least (1) of each at full price or more than (1) total and will continue to buy them in the hopes that they might one day creat a Republic/Nu Class Attack Shuttle and a Twilight.

- Medium size vehicles: Do they have future plans to create new medium sized vehicles (like the Gunship, ARC-170, CW YWing, etc), or did the Shadow ARC-170 kill it?

- Force FX sabers: Is the removable blade saber the new standard moving forward or will they continue to offer fixed blade sabers as well as removeable blade sabers as the line continues?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Nice job on the walkthrough. I like the fact that they do "jiggle" tests. :D

I also like that they want to completely nail everything in TVC. Though that also means they haven't been trying to do that until now. :p

The new name for the figure and vehicle sets is interesting. I hadn't thought about that, actually.

Target's feelings on the Geonosis packs are also interesting, in that they wanted to complete the set and carry on even though the first wave can still be found at various Targets. I wonder how this compares to Walmart's Droid Factory sets, which seem to have sold through completely but were still deemed failures?

JediTricks
07-28-2010, 05:12 PM
IIRC (and I'm asking because parts of Sunday are a blur, and because no one else was there), you said you didn't ask about the Teek/Star Tours exclusive at all, correct? I don't suppose the other possible Ewoks for this canceled exclusive set came up? (I'm still assuming Kaink and Teek were meant for this set, and they confirmed Chuhka-Trok was in it, and I'd guess the Kneesa that was initially to come with Wicket as well.)I didn't remember to thank them for Teek, that's true. You are mixing up several sets though, the Teek and Kaink figures were always meant for that Star Tours set that just came out, they weren't in the mysterious other pack that had Chuhka-Trok. And Kneesa coming with Wicket wasn't related to either of those sets. They had something else in mind for that Chuhka-Trok set than what you're thinking.

SWEET, cause I have more questions:

- Big vehicles: Are they still looking at these to succeed on their own on a case by case basis or have big vehicles become a cumulative success? In other words, if the next one tanks, will it tank the line or are big vehicles considered a success at this point? I for one have committed to buying at least (1) of each at full price or more than (1) total and will continue to buy them in the hopes that they might one day creat a Republic/Nu Class Attack Shuttle and a Twilight.I am not sure if it's in the interview audio or not, but it did come up at some point during the show. The bottom line is each vehicle's success makes the next one possible, makes it easier for the SW team to succeed at that next one. Because of the high cost, this line is never "in the clear" the way you're thinking as a line, it's still somewhat "on the bubble", though it's also a case-by-case basis.

As for the Twilight, that was asked in the Hasbro panel, and it was a no. Whether that will change down the road, I don't know, but it looks unlikely. For now, the Titanium and SW Transformer versions are the only ones they have in mind.

- Medium size vehicles: Do they have future plans to create new medium sized vehicles (like the Gunship, ARC-170, CW YWing, etc), or did the Shadow ARC-170 kill it? This didn't come up, but their last Q&A about the line said it's pretty much going back to the drawing board, they're not done with the idea of vehicles that size, but the pricepoint just didn't seem to work out at mass retail, so I would guess that means if we see a red Y-wing, it'll be an exclusive.

- Force FX sabers: Is the removable blade saber the new standard moving forward or will they continue to offer fixed blade sabers as well as removeable blade sabers as the line continues?They are re-offering the Luke ROTJ and Mace sabers because those were requested for a while, and then after that it'll be mainly new.

Nice job on the walkthrough. I like the fact that they do "jiggle" tests. :DYeah, that cracked me up. A lot of the stuff you guys miss is Derryl and me chuckling about stuff like that, having a good time with the ideas we're throwing around.

I also like that they want to completely nail everything in TVC. Though that also means they haven't been trying to do that until now. :pNot exactly. What it means is that before, they would try to get it right but stuff could still slip through the cracks, and now they're trying to make sure there's none of that.

The new name for the figure and vehicle sets is interesting. I hadn't thought about that, actually.That one I came up with a day or 2 earlier and forgot about very quickly until we were in the moment. For Q&A I have to type it a lot and then I had to say it a lot at the show to make sure I was getting the idea across (because there have been recent "deluxe figures" and even a "deluxe vehicle" assortment, so to make sure they know which one I meant I had to type "deluxe figure and vehicle" every time. And now that it's working out, it really needs a banner to hang the concept on.

Target's feelings on the Geonosis packs are also interesting, in that they wanted to complete the set and carry on even though the first wave can still be found at various Targets. I wonder how this compares to Walmart's Droid Factory sets, which seem to have sold through completely but were still deemed failures?I think there are several more factors in play, the WM Droid Factory sets didn't sell through and struggled at market due largely to pricepoint (although I also feel there was just too much focus on a certain type of EU character selection which left folks like me out), the Target ones kind of had a different set of problems like character selection and just an odd timing for a revisit to Geonosis. I think Target is taking this 2nd wave more to ensure they're the ones who "completed" the concept, brought it to fruition, and I won't be surprised if they order less, some of the Targets by me still have the odd wave 1 set. I want that 3PO/R2 pack so bad, but I suspect it'll be the first to go and stay gone.

Alright, break's over, back to the salty minds.

El Chuxter
07-28-2010, 05:18 PM
So Teek and Kaink were always intended to be Star Tours, and Kneesa was separate. But they did say the set was of Ewoks, both ROTJ and EU, right?

I just hope it's not Chucky and a bunch of re-releases.

Ando
07-28-2010, 06:55 PM
I just thought of another couple of questions:

- What is the future of the Galactic Heroes vehicles? In A few Q+A sessions back they said that the Cinema Scenes were coming to an end but was that just the multipacks with just GH figures? Did you get any hints at future vehicles to come?

- Are you privy to any secret information that goes beyond CV for things that haven't been leaked i.e. the new Slave I, that are super top secret? If so, is it stuff that you're bursting to be able to talk about? Or at the very least think that some of us here on SSG will go nuts over?

bigbarada
07-28-2010, 07:36 PM
BTW, the Wooof and Gamorrean Guard statements I made in the walkthrough about our readers, I believe both of those were specifically referring to bigbarada's posts. :thumbsup: He's crazy for Wooof and I had read the night before he had faith that the Gamorrean would be wearing fuzzy pants by production time when others weren't seeing it with that figure. It's a nice figure in person, but it takes a second to really wrap your head around on first viewing.

:thumbsup: That's awesome! Interesting situation with the Wooof/Giran figure, too. What's funny though is that I always used to believe that the Second Rancor Keeper was named Wooof as well. But I've also heard the name Weeba Weeba floating around too.

So, did you tell them "Hey, if you guys are having trouble figuring out which Skiff Guard is which, there's this new website that helps sort all that out"? :D

bigbarada
07-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Oh yeah, did you guys have any discussion at all about the August 6th street date and what Hasbro's reasoning was for that?

JediTricks
07-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Transcription is coming along, I feel like I'm in the home stretch. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, it should be up later today.

I keep feeling like there was something interesting that was in the booth I wanted to share with you guys, but I cannot seem to remember what it was long enough to get it written down. It probably wasn't even that big a deal, but now I've remembered and forgotten like 5 times it feels big to me. :p

I'm still blown away that Hasbro designed the vintage-style AT-AT exclusive packaging with the white sides and back like the old days, including line art, that was too clever.

So Teek and Kaink were always intended to be Star Tours, and Kneesa was separate. But they did say the set was of Ewoks, both ROTJ and EU, right?

I just hope it's not Chucky and a bunch of re-releases.You are right that Teek and Kaink are ST, and Kneesa was separate. Their answers about the other set with Chukha-Trok was only that the set was not "only" EU Ewoks, and that they are likely to come out with 1 or 2 TV-based Ewoks if the set gets picked back up.

I just thought of another couple of questions:

- What is the future of the Galactic Heroes vehicles? In A few Q+A sessions back they said that the Cinema Scenes were coming to an end but was that just the multipacks with just GH figures? Did you get any hints at future vehicles to come?I didn't think to bring this up, but I wish I had. They had 3 or 4 GH vehicles there, I don't think any was new except the AT-AT, but they brought them so I think that's a statement that they're not done yet.

- Are you privy to any secret information that goes beyond CV for things that haven't been leaked i.e. the new Slave I, that are super top secret? If so, is it stuff that you're bursting to be able to talk about? Or at the very least think that some of us here on SSG will go nuts over?How could I answer this? "Not too much secret info", how about that for an answer? ;) I learned a few interesting things, not so much product end - maybe a few though. Let's just say I was very satisfied with my interactions with the Hasbro SW team this time around.

:thumbsup: That's awesome! Interesting situation with the Wooof/Giran figure, too. What's funny though is that I always used to believe that the Second Rancor Keeper was named Wooof as well. But I've also heard the name Weeba Weeba floating around too.

So, did you tell them "Hey, if you guys are having trouble figuring out which Skiff Guard is which, there's this new website that helps sort all that out"? :DMmm, I wish I had remembered to give them the URL of that skiff guards website! Of course, if Lucasfilm pulls the rug out from under the info we have (such as with Lumat) then it doesn't matter what Hasbro learns.

"Weeba Weeba"? Where did that one come from? It's not from the CCG, it doesn't have 5 apostrophes and an unpronounceable name. :p

Oh yeah, did you guys have any discussion at all about the August 6th street date and what Hasbro's reasoning was for that?Yes, that is my 3rd or 4th question, I transcribed it last night.

JediTricks
07-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Ok, it is done! At over 12,000 words, it is I hope the most writing I've ever done for the site. I hope you guys get something positive out of it, I tried to make a balance of questions but had to scuttle a few when Parrish couldn't make the show at the last minute. It is extremely in-depth, and I tried not to pull any punches.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=61&p2_articleid=2988

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-29-2010, 07:05 PM
That was a great read. Awesome work! Great combination of thought-provoking questions and more minute kind of stuff.

He seems somewhat okay with the line being down for so much of the year while the line resets, and that seems kind of odd to me. The actual answers as to why they do it like that were very interesting.

bigbarada
07-29-2010, 10:28 PM
"Weeba Weeba"? Where did that one come from? It's not from the CCG, it doesn't have 5 apostrophes and an unpronounceable name. :p

I can almost swear that I read that name (in reference to Giran) in Steve Sansweet's Star Wars Action Figure Archive book from 1999. But I don't have a copy of that book anymore to double check. If not that one, then it must have been in some other Star Wars collecting book published in the 1990s.

Anyways, excellent work on the interview! Very informative and it sounds like you guys really had a good time with it.

I was interested in his comment about how they cannot allow themselves to get emotional when answering the Q&As. It's funny, because I always wanted to ask if the designers on the Star Wars team ever got angry or frustrated when they felt that fans were being too nitpicky or demanding without taking into account the realities of running a corporation the size of Hasbro.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-29-2010, 10:40 PM
I can almost swear that I read that name (in reference to Giran) in Steve Sansweet's Star Wars Action Figure Archive book from 1999. But I don't have a copy of that book anymore to double check. If not that one, then it must have been in some other Star Wars collecting book published in the 1990s.
Yup, it does. I love that book, so I've looked over it many times over the years. He was basing the name off of Lucasfilm reference . . . if you want something more concrete, then I'll type it up. :p I'm pretty sure that was also the page that said that the red-suited Sullustan was Ten Numb (it also said that he's well-known in his white flight suit), which was recently retconned into being Nien Nunb.

bigbarada
07-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Yup, it does. I love that book, so I've looked over it many times over the years. He was basing the name off of Lucasfilm reference . . . if you want something more concrete, then I'll type it up. :p I'm pretty sure that was also the page that said that the red-suited Sullustan was Ten Numb (it also said that he's well-known in his white flight suit), which was recently retconned into being Nien Nunb.

Thanks for the confirmation. I actually read that book so much that the whole binding fell apart and it's more of a collection of loose pages than an actual book now. Unfortunately I left it with my brother when I moved to Illinois, so I'll have to find another copy somewhere.

DarkJedi5
07-30-2010, 01:53 AM
I really liked that book too. I always hope that perhaps someday soon there will be a new edition that includes more of the recent figures. It was interesting to see how the original vehicles were so similar to the POTF2 vehicles but now I'd like to see them side by side with things like the BMF and the new AT-AT.

Droid
07-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Really an amazing writeup. Thanks for all the time that went into preparing it.

mtriv73
07-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Read every word of your interviews and all I can say is "wow." It read like you had been doing these for years. Truly impressive.

Maradona
07-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Apparently, next year's preview night is sold out:

http://www.comicvine.com/news/comic-con-2011-already-selling-out/141752/

figrin bran
07-31-2010, 01:02 AM
JT, I'm reading the transcript right now!

I don't think collectors of SW + Joe + TF are as rare as Derryl is making us out to be. We have a few, myself included, on this board

El Chuxter
07-31-2010, 01:32 AM
I'd think most adults who collect one probably collect the other two, if even only sporadically. Like me; I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore collector of all three, but I get most Star Wars, most new GIJoes, and all Classics Transformers and movie and Animated Transformers that fit that aesthetic.

figrin bran
07-31-2010, 01:48 AM
I'd think most adults who collect one probably collect the other two, if even only sporadically. Like me; I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore collector of all three, but I get most Star Wars, most new GIJoes, and all Classics Transformers and movie and Animated Transformers that fit that aesthetic.

Yes, and I wasn't even talking about being completists for all three lines but more like a collector of A and B list characters for all three.

JT, outstanding job with the interview! Just be glad that Tycho was not with you.

bigbarada
07-31-2010, 07:40 AM

There was a point where I actively collected all three, but I was never a completist by any stretch of the imagination. My interest in Transformers has dwindled to pretty much nothing since the films (I can't even get excited about vintage Transformers anymore). The Alternators line getting cancelled hasn't helped either. Until Bumblebee goes back to being a Volkswagon Beetle, then I can't see myself ever getting interested in Transformers again.

My interest in GI Joe has faded quite a bit as well. I'm still looking forward to that new POC Snowjob figure, but that's about it right now. I like for my GI Joe to be firmly grounded in reality, so all the futuristic, movie-inspired, sci-fi crap has really hurt my interest in the franchise.

Even my Star Wars focus has narrowed significantly over the year to where I'm more of a Return of the Jedi collector, than a Star Wars collector.

El Chuxter
07-31-2010, 12:01 PM
My interest in GI Joe has faded quite a bit as well. I'm still looking forward to that new POC Snowjob figure, but that's about it right now. I like for my GI Joe to be firmly grounded in reality, so all the futuristic, movie-inspired, sci-fi crap has really hurt my interest in the franchise.

I only get the classic characters who get mixed in to the new line (like the upcoming Lowlight), figures who will fit in well with the 25th Anniversary line, and those who can be customized to be the characters they never got around to making in the Anniversary line.

JediTricks
07-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Here's a tidbit I'm not sure I've mentioned from the booth. The color on the Target-exclusive small-wing TIE Fighter in vintage packaging was a ton of work to get exactly movie-accurate, and then for the factory to deliver it to match the sample they were sent. All this for a small-wing TIE Fighter! So that set is a little special, and yet I bet it doesn't get all that much attention from the fanbase. I do wonder how that new cockpit in movie colors will look on the first big-wing TIE's wings, but I'm not sure I'll drop $25 to find out, as I've sworn off small-wing TIE Fighters ever since that first big-wing version blew my mind.

That was a great read. Awesome work! Great combination of thought-provoking questions and more minute kind of stuff.Thank you very much, I am glad you approve of the balance, that was a key for me to get right and in the moment I wasn't sure.

He seems somewhat okay with the line being down for so much of the year while the line resets, and that seems kind of odd to me. The actual answers as to why they do it like that were very interesting.Yes, I feel the same on both sides of that. This was an area I tried to draw more out as it's been on my mind a lot the last 2 years of Q&A, but I definitely felt like Derryl considered it all beforehand and could outmaneuver me in that conversation, and after 2 or 3 angles I couldn't see any way to bolster another argument. Interesting and definitely not what I expected their take to be. In hindsight, I wish I had thought to ask if he felt that cycle would eventually overtake the line.

Yup, it does. I love that book, so I've looked over it many times over the years. He was basing the name off of Lucasfilm reference . . . if you want something more concrete, then I'll type it up. :p I'm pretty sure that was also the page that said that the red-suited Sullustan was Ten Numb (it also said that he's well-known in his white flight suit), which was recently retconned into being Nien Nunb.No need to type it up, it's already mentioned on Wookieepedia: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Weeba_Weeba

Very unusual, that Wookieepedia article points out the oddity of the name. I honestly didn't take the Sansweet book as gospel, I enjoyed it, but like the CCG at the time, I wasn't ready to put my faith in it.

Anyways, excellent work on the interview! Very informative and it sounds like you guys really had a good time with it.

I was interested in his comment about how they cannot allow themselves to get emotional when answering the Q&As. It's funny, because I always wanted to ask if the designers on the Star Wars team ever got angry or frustrated when they felt that fans were being too nitpicky or demanding without taking into account the realities of running a corporation the size of Hasbro.Thanks, I'm glad it came through, we did have a good time with it for the most part, I think the attitude each of us brought to the table made that possible, but Hasbro SW this year was just a great experience overall, I had a good time in that booth every day of the con.

I was surprised to hear him mention getting emotional as well, there have been some questions from other sites that I wonder if those got under their skin. My asking him if there were types of questions they wanted less of was basically what you're getting at, are they annoyed at "please make blippity blu whose ear you can see in frame 1932 of ROTJ non-SE" and Derryl seemed genuine when he didn't give into that at the opportunity.

Really an amazing writeup. Thanks for all the time that went into preparing it.Glad to hear it, and I really appreciate that!

Read every word of your interviews and all I can say is "wow." It read like you had been doing these for years. Truly impressive.I started the Q&A back in June of '06, and the first face-to-face version with Hasbro at Celebration IV, so I guess I have been doing this for 3 or 4 years, depending on how you look at it. But I didn't get one in last year, so I told Derryl just before we started I was a little nervous after having 2 years off. Luckily for me, I approach Comic-Con as a way to walk away from those sorts of hangups, so nervous or not, I jumped in and tried not to hold back.

Apparently, next year's preview night is sold out:

http://www.comicvine.com/news/comic-con-2011-already-selling-out/141752/That is crazy! I don't know how they could know that already, and this claim of 15k is a bit suspect, the show overall has 120k people and this year's limited preview night certainly felt like a full house, so at least 30k or even 60k. But what do I know? Still, they haven't updated the registration page yet, so how they can claim it's sold out before even registering is beyond me. I may have to do a little investigative journalism into the matter come Monday.

JT, I'm reading the transcript right now!

I don't think collectors of SW + Joe + TF are as rare as Derryl is making us out to be. We have a few, myself included, on this boardWhen Derryl said that part, I started to think up a retort, but my brain said "hey, you yourself all but stopped collecting GI Joe a few years ago!" and thinking back to the groups of folks who do all 3 here, it really is what Derryl said, lots of 2 lines, very few folks doing all 3, so I held my tongue.

I'd think most adults who collect one probably collect the other two, if even only sporadically. Like me; I wouldn't consider myself a hardcore collector of all three, but I get most Star Wars, most new GIJoes, and all Classics Transformers and movie and Animated Transformers that fit that aesthetic."Sporadically" is the key though, a few heres and theres are not what we were talking about, true "collectors" stick with it in the lean times and don't just get a smattering once in a while.

JT, outstanding job with the interview! Just be glad that Tycho was not with you.Ha! I hope you enjoyed dinner with us, I'm not sure I ever actually heard from you while we were in there, nor you me. ;) I actually learned on my first live interview that an interview of 3 doesn't work too well, Steve and I interviewed Derryl and it was just a tougher dynamic to nail down, and Derryl tried to hand us off to the key member of the SW team for answers which was slow as well.

The Alternators line getting cancelled hasn't helped either. Until Bumblebee goes back to being a Volkswagon Beetle, then I can't see myself ever getting interested in Transformers again.My love for Alternators has faded over the years since its cancellation. I appreciate the concept, but ultimately I just don't think I was all that satisfied except for Smokescreen and Prowl and Shockwave, the rest were good on a bell curve. Looking at what they can do with Human Alliance these days, it feels to me like Alternators just is a few too many compromises of idea in favor of licensed vehicles and complex transformations.

Technically, Bumblebee was never a Volkswagen Beetle, he was a Penny Racer that was a chibi reference to a Volkswagen Beetle. BB the toy was actually designed to be "life sized", he's from the same line as Soundwave and Megatron, "Microchange" (an offshoot of Microman), where there's no mass-shifting, the toys are meant to be life-sized little robots. Yes, mighty Megatron is supposed to be about 4" tall. fear me!

There actually was supposed to be a Bumblebee and Jazz in the Alternators line, but the German companies weren't comfortable with being associated with "war" toys, so they didn't give the green light to the licensed figures that had been drawn up for the line. That's also why Windcharger's accessory isn't a gun, Honda thought it wouldn't be appropriate for their car to sport a rifle.

bigbarada
07-31-2010, 11:10 PM
Technically, Bumblebee was never a Volkswagen Beetle, he was a Penny Racer that was a chibi reference to a Volkswagen Beetle. BB the toy was actually designed to be "life sized", he's from the same line as Soundwave and Megatron, "Microchange" (an offshoot of Microman), where there's no mass-shifting, the toys are meant to be life-sized little robots. Yes, mighty Megatron is supposed to be about 4" tall. fear me!

There actually was supposed to be a Bumblebee and Jazz in the Alternators line, but the German companies weren't comfortable with being associated with "war" toys, so they didn't give the green light to the licensed figures that had been drawn up for the line. That's also why Windcharger's accessory isn't a gun, Honda thought it wouldn't be appropriate for their car to sport a rifle.

That's interesting, so Bumblebee was intended to be a toy car that transformed into a tiny 2" robot. I never thought of it that way.

However, he was still a stylized version of the Volkswagon Beetle, so that is his "true form" and always will be to me.

Plus, those German car manufacturers are idiots. :mad: Although they are still trying to live down that whole National Socialist/Adolf Hitler thing, so I guess I can understand why they are a little sensitive to it. But why not just make Bumblebee with no weapon like accessories? It's not like the vintage Bumblebee ever came with a gun.

El Chuxter
07-31-2010, 11:35 PM
There are also several non-German cars that look exactly like Volkswagen Beetles.

JediTricks
08-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Something else from the booth, someone asked about why they don't just slap an exclusive sticker on the SDCC sets and sell them at C5 as well. The reason the exclusives from SDCC have no sticker is that Hasbro cannot claim any "exclusivity" on an item if they plan on selling it through a second outlet, such as HasbroToyShop.com. In looking back at my Concept R2 & 3PO, the sticker says "Star Wars Celebration IV" but not "exclusive". Pretty sneaky, sis!

Plus, those German car manufacturers are idiots. :mad: Although they are still trying to live down that whole National Socialist/Adolf Hitler thing, so I guess I can understand why they are a little sensitive to it. But why not just make Bumblebee with no weapon like accessories? It's not like the vintage Bumblebee ever came with a gun.I'm sure it was run up the flagpole and rejected. They have very strict laws in Germany about presenting war concepts and such. And Ferdinand Porsche created vehicles under the Volkswagen badge for the Nazi war machine, neither VW nor Porsche can really afford to remind people of their activities in that department, so they would want to be extra careful.

There are also several non-German cars that look exactly like Volkswagen Beetles.Sure, if you enjoy nice fat lawsuits. There's no car that looks like the modern VW Beetle enough to avoid infringement, especially when Hasbro/Takara came to them with the idea first. The Japanese Alternity Bumblebee is something totally unrelated, a boxy little Suzuki.

AmanaMatt
08-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the hard work, Jt! Interview(s) were very good.

JediTricks
08-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks, glad to hear you enjoyed 'em!

I finally remembered the thing I wanted to tell you guys from around the booth. The Rancor box was originally supposed to be designed to have the new Jabba's throne sit on top for dropping suckas into the Rancor Pit, but concept didn't entirely make it. That would have been so cool. You can set Jabba's throne on top but it's just a box right now, it was supposed to be the palace floor before. Still, it wouldn't be tough to set up with a printer.

Droid
08-02-2010, 01:21 PM
One thing that really interested to me was the way that they continue to argue that Indy in NO WAY affected Star Wars that year. They announced some of their guys were going to be working on Indy and then they even warned us ahead of time Indy would be the big deal for a while, but after Indy didn't do as well as expected and after the terrible paint aps situation, it seems like the Star Wars team has tried to distance themselves from the Indy line. I remember them acting very irritated in Q&As whenever it was suggested Indy delayed Star Wars and then in the interview, Derryl still acted as though Indy hadn't pushed back Star Wars. I wonder if they don't want it to seem like they let a very successful brand get held up by a less successful brand.

JediTricks
08-02-2010, 01:24 PM
I did wonder about that, but Derryl was very genuine about that in person, surprisingly so actually, that was one area where I could tell he's a little annoyed by the supposition. I remember Hasbro saying back in the day that the lines would run at the same time, that Star Wars was going on hiatus either way, so there is some support, but from the retail end of things it didn't work out that way.

bigbarada
08-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I don't understand this notion of Indy replacing Star Wars for 2008. I never really got that impression at all since my local Walmart sold Indy figures and Star Wars figures side by side throughout the year. Did some stores pull their Star Wars sections and replace them with Indy toys? It's possible that any "replacement" of Star Wars with Indy took place at the retail level only. Which I would assume had nothing to do with Hasbro.

JediTricks
08-02-2010, 09:21 PM
I don't understand this notion of Indy replacing Star Wars for 2008. I never really got that impression at all since my local Walmart sold Indy figures and Star Wars figures side by side throughout the year. Did some stores pull their Star Wars sections and replace them with Indy toys? It's possible that any "replacement" of Star Wars with Indy took place at the retail level only. Which I would assume had nothing to do with Hasbro.
TRU absolutely did, and I think so did Target, but really it was more because Hasbro stopped shipping Star Wars figures just before they released Indy figures - that were designed by the same team no less. And SW figures didn't come back until Indy figures were on their way out. There was a larger-than-normal hiatus that year that just happened to coincide with the Indy figures they designed, it smacks of 1 replacing the other, but they're saying it's not the case.

Droid
08-03-2010, 08:15 AM
TRU absolutely did, and I think so did Target, but really it was more because Hasbro stopped shipping Star Wars figures just before they released Indy figures - that were designed by the same team no less. And SW figures didn't come back until Indy figures were on their way out. There was a larger-than-normal hiatus that year that just happened to coincide with the Indy figures they designed, it smacks of 1 replacing the other, but they're saying it's not the case.

And I believe them if they say that, but I am really interested by how toucy them seem about it. I almost wonder if higher ups at Hasbro made the same assumption we did and kind of ripped the Star Wars team a new one claiming they had allowed their Cadillac brand to be delayed by something that didn't perform.

JediTricks
08-04-2010, 09:58 PM
And I believe them if they say that, but I am really interested by how toucy them seem about it. I almost wonder if higher ups at Hasbro made the same assumption we did and kind of ripped the Star Wars team a new one claiming they had allowed their Cadillac brand to be delayed by something that didn't perform.
Totally. I tried to get more about that one, and if I remember to ask the right way, I bet I'll get the dirt next year, but this year I was really surprised by the response.

BTW, RS linked to the Q&A interviews, that was nice of Dan. I am glad folks are getting something out of these, that's why I do 'em.

Droid
08-04-2010, 10:26 PM
BTW, RS linked to the Q&A interviews, that was nice of Dan. I am glad folks are getting something out of these, that's why I do 'em.

I was also pleased to see the warm way in which they described the interviews, calling them great and fantastic.

You did a service to the whole Star Wars collecting community there, JediTricks!

JediTricks
08-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I was also pleased to see the warm way in which they described the interviews, calling them great and fantastic.

You did a service to the whole Star Wars collecting community there, JediTricks!
Thank you very much!

JediTricks
08-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Well, it looks like Steve might attempt to do an interview with Derryl at C5 next week, so I'm putting together another question list. Any suggestions?

DarkJedi5
08-08-2010, 02:40 PM
How about my clean Sandtrooper question?

JediTricks
08-08-2010, 04:08 PM
How about my clean Sandtrooper question?
Yeah, that one is on my list right now. It'll need to be reworked to be more conversational for an interview, that's what I am doing right now.

Ando
08-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Wow! That's awesome! This would be a great way to clear out some questions that are on our voting list (that are good questions) but never get enough votes.

Can't wait to read the coverage after C5 ends.

El Chuxter
08-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Maybe the question about exclusives and the spotty distribution would be a good one to ask in person rather than via the Q&A. Honestly, both C-3PO questions and maybe the Rahm Kota would be good, as well (as I'm guessing there will be some major TFU2 stuff going on).

bigbarada
08-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Well, it looks like Steve might attempt to do an interview with Derryl at C5 next week, so I'm putting together another question list. Any suggestions?

You could ask my Barada/Kithaba question. :)

El Chuxter
08-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Hmm, the question I asked about realistic kid Boba using the Clone Wars body could possibly be thrown out really quickly in such a convo, too. :D

DarkJedi5
08-13-2010, 01:10 PM
If JT sees this in time I was wondering why they decided to make the eyes so big on the battle droids in the Saga Legends sets. They went from no eyes to HUGE!

JediTricks
08-15-2010, 04:00 PM
You could ask my Barada/Kithaba question. :)That one is so technical, I'd prefer to ask it in Q&A rather than an interview.

Hmm, the question I asked about realistic kid Boba using the Clone Wars body could possibly be thrown out really quickly in such a convo, too. :DVery specific, and not a lot of people have seen the figure yet to agree or disagree.

If JT sees this in time I was wondering why they decided to make the eyes so big on the battle droids in the Saga Legends sets. They went from no eyes to HUGE!Unfortunately, I didn't see this in time, I have been spending a lot of time dealing with a family situation. It's too bad too, this one needs to be pointed out, they still have the chest circle on the commander wrong as well. Most likely a miscommunication with the factory, but still...

Anyway, I had about a dozen questions for Steve to interview Derryl with (again, it would have been more but my family situation really sidetracked me). Steve says there's just over an hour of interview out of it, so I'll try to get that transcribed tomorrow.

JediTricks
08-17-2010, 09:08 PM
It is done.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=59&p2_articleid=3024

Steve also ended up conducting a booth walkthrough interview with Derryl, that was a surprise, so I transcribed that and posted it as well.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=59&p2_articleid=3023

I'm pretty happy with the results. There's 1 question about the concept figure boxed set that I am going to ask for a clarification on because they got caught up in another aspect of the question and missed the main drift of the question. But there's some very interesting info in there, the Spacetrooper is getting Saga Legendized next year, Hasbro has sent down word to their divisions that they're overproducing so there will be some scaling back, a considered reason for the Sandtrooper being white, lots of stuff actually. I'm very curious to see what you good folks think.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Nice work all around!

When I talked to the team, I thanked Derryl for his Comic-Con interview with JT, and then he said he thought he had been talking to SirSteve. So I guess he didn't hear my part about Comic-Con, that clears that up for me now. Given the talk about the deleted scenes and the fact that Derryl looked around a second for Steve when I mentioned I'd never met him leads me to believe this was done not too long before my conversation with him, which is interesting.

Derryl said Hasbro's intent to trim the line was public, but this is the first I've heard of it. That's very interesting.

Glad to hear about the ESB C-3PO. I think it was Brian I mentioned it to, and as I said, it didn't really seem to be on his radar, though now it sounds Derryl wants to get it done, which is great.

I like their commitment to the on-screen pilots. I love the pilot figures, so I'm glad to see more of a focus on the film ones, especially now ROTJ as in those sets.

I assumed they weren't going to put too many more figures on the cardback, but the character bio being cut due to translation issues is interesting. It's something I miss on that line, but oh well.

I thought that Saga Legends could be the aspect of the line that pays for new stuff; that's what they framed it as when it started a few years ago. So I appreciate them putting the sandtrooper on the vintage card, but the reasoning for the deco is odd to me.

I wonder who the afroed character could be. :p Thanks for asking my beard question, so hopefully they'll start doing other stuff now.

DarkJedi5
08-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Great work on the two interviews, I think we got a lot of good info. At the same time, I'm a little unhappy about the answer they gave to the Sandtrooper question. I just feel like they say they have no interest in doing figures in the "classic" Kenner paint jobs and then they say they chose to leave the Sandtrooper pristine because that's how Kenner would have done it? I suppose the answer about the cost indicates that they aren't costing these out wave by wave anymore? Cause like we said in the question, it's not a wave that offers a lot of new tooling or deco. In the end, I'm not sure about other collectors but I'd have bought 2-3 dirty Sandtroopers but will buy 0 clean ones. If people are like me, army building the dirty one might have made made up for the extra deco cost.

Also, Darryl said something about finally getting the right soft goods on Wooof and the Gamorean Guard but the photos I saw (and I compared them side-by-side) looked the exact same as Comic Con, in fact even the poses looked pretty much identical. Did I miss something?

JediTricks
08-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Nice work all around!:thumbsup:

When I talked to the team, I thanked Derryl for his Comic-Con interview with JT, and then he said he thought he had been talking to SirSteve. So I guess he didn't hear my part about Comic-Con, that clears that up for me now. Given the talk about the deleted scenes and the fact that Derryl looked around a second for Steve when I mentioned I'd never met him leads me to believe this was done not too long before my conversation with him, which is interesting.He may have thought you meant the name of a website then, since he knows Steve quite well, and he knows me by name, though I don't think he memorized my screen name, it doesn't come up in conversation very often. That, or he was yanking your chain. He's a funny guy at times.

When did you talk with Derryl?

Derryl said Hasbro's intent to trim the line was public, but this is the first I've heard of it. That's very interesting.I think it's public only based on this interview, it was the first I had heard of it as well. At Comic-Con I even put that to him and he didn't go for the bait.

I assumed they weren't going to put too many more figures on the cardback, but the character bio being cut due to translation issues is interesting. It's something I miss on that line, but oh well.Yeah, it never occurred to me either, and I also miss the bio stuff. But at least we have an answer.

I thought that Saga Legends could be the aspect of the line that pays for new stuff; that's what they framed it as when it started a few years ago. So I appreciate them putting the sandtrooper on the vintage card, but the reasoning for the deco is odd to me.It's not that simple, Saga Legends doesn't fund the new stuff or even tag the budget, it's a more complex relationship from what I understand. Saga Legends helps defray retailers' issues with the line, helps keep OT product in kid eyes, helps bring in money which keeps the non-animated Star Wars brand afloat.

The Sandtrooper answer was unusual, and I think had I been there, it would have been a different answer just because of the different interviewing styles Steve and I have - Steve's more of a "what" guy and I'm more of a "why" guy.

I wonder who the afroed character could be. :p Thanks for asking my beard question, so hopefully they'll start doing other stuff now.On the 'fro, first I thought of Grizz Frix, but he has a tight hairstyle and doesn't come with a bald figure.

Yeah, I like including policy questions, and that was an interesting policy question. The audio sounds like Derryl found it hilarious. If you hadn't noticed in that pic, Dave Vennemeyer also has a vandyck so Derryl's cracking up and busting Dave's chops over it.

Great work on the two interviews, I think we got a lot of good info. At the same time, I'm a little unhappy about the answer they gave to the Sandtrooper question. I just feel like they say they have no interest in doing figures in the "classic" Kenner paint jobs and then they say they chose to leave the Sandtrooper pristine because that's how Kenner would have done it?Actually, they said they might want to do more classic Kenner paintjobs, but not in the mainline, only on special items like the Zuckuss/4-LOM pack.

I suppose the answer about the cost indicates that they aren't costing these out wave by wave anymore? Cause like we said in the question, it's not a wave that offers a lot of new tooling or deco. In the end, I'm not sure about other collectors but I'd have bought 2-3 dirty Sandtroopers but will buy 0 clean ones. If people are like me, army building the dirty one might have made made up for the extra deco cost.I also found that part about the wave budget to be an oddity, and I think that's inaccurate, each wave is budgeted somewhat on its own merits. I suspect Derryl got caught up in what he was thinking about the rest of it and didn't catch what we were saying there.

Also, Darryl said something about finally getting the right soft goods on Wooof and the Gamorean Guard but the photos I saw (and I compared them side-by-side) looked the exact same as Comic Con, in fact even the poses looked pretty much identical. Did I miss something?Derryl was mistaken about Wooof I think. But he's right about the Gamorrean, check out this shot Steve took from after their panel when they put out more stuff that was shown: http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/after-panel-new-collectibles/p36622-star-wars.html
Not everything Hasbro sends arrives to the show on time, hence the previous Gamorrean in the first-day shots.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-18-2010, 05:26 PM
When did you talk with Derryl?
It wasn't too long after the Main Event, which ran from 11 to noon on Saturday. After getting out, I talked with Vickie first for several minutes, then Andrew; when I was ready to talk to Derryl, he was dealing with Dave's sculpting table, which had broken, so I waited a few more minutes. So, it can't have been that long after he and Steve talked.

JediTricks
08-18-2010, 09:15 PM
It wasn't too long after the Main Event, which ran from 11 to noon on Saturday. After getting out, I talked with Vickie first for several minutes, then Andrew; when I was ready to talk to Derryl, he was dealing with Dave's sculpting table, which had broken, so I waited a few more minutes. So, it can't have been that long after he and Steve talked.
Yup, that sounds right. So you must have just missed Steve.

El Chuxter
08-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Everyone always "just misses" Steve.

Derryl thought he'd spoken to Steve since JT is really Steve. They're one and the same.

Which means I guess he's been astute enough to hire the same actor to portray his counterpart every time I've seen both of them at the same time. ;)

JediTricks
08-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Everyone always "just misses" Steve.

Derryl thought he'd spoken to Steve since JT is really Steve. They're one and the same.

Which means I guess he's been astute enough to hire the same actor to portray his counterpart every time I've seen both of them at the same time. ;)
I should have gotten my money back on that actor in '08, the guy buried his nose in his laptop the whole time. :p

Figrin Bran didn't "just miss" Steve, we all had dinner with Steve this year at Comic-Con, it was... "quite a thing to see", as stormtroopers are oft to say (by that I mean "interesting", not "hubba hubba", the girlie bar Tycho dragged us to actually didn't do much for me, that's not my scene, employed hotties aren't quite as interesting as ones who choose to be where I am, in that respect I find SDCC gals much more interesting than scantily-clad waitresses - although every time Tycho drags us to those places, I end up making money on it, the Hooters waitress in '07 and this year's waitress at the Tilted Kilt both ended up undercharging my bill).

El Chuxter
08-18-2010, 10:19 PM
So the Tilted Kilt is a full-on girlie bar? There was one in Palm Springs, and we almost went there as a family, thinking it was a Scottish restaurant. Then, on a future trip, we saw a billboard that made it look more Hooters-ish, and I've seen several more since, so I know it's a chain.

Hooters does have some good food, surprisingly enough. You'd think they'd coast by just on their waitress uniforms, but I've been there many times (usually in mixed company), and everything I've ordered has been excellent.

JediTricks
08-18-2010, 10:25 PM
It's a sports bar and grill, a Scottish-themed Hooters basically. I didn't realize it was a chain.

Hooters food SUCKED when we went. Wings were lousy even, and it's their SIGNATURE!

El Chuxter
08-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Bad wings at Hooters? Wow. I'm shocked. I've had wings, chicken sandwiches, burgers, and Cuban sandwiches, and every one has been quite good. Wonder if the chef was quitting and didn't give a crap, or something.

I don't really care about the service; most of the women working when I've been there have been way too skanky for my tastes. But I've made many return trips for the food, and I'm generally of the mind that I won't go to a restaurant and pay for anything I can make at home for cheaper.

JediTricks
08-18-2010, 10:34 PM
I've worked in bars and made wings, it's not rocket science, it's actually VERY easy once you get the rhythm down. Everything at our table of 6 or 7 people, everybody said their food was mediocre (except I think Tycho, who just likes everything usually :p).

El Chuxter
08-18-2010, 10:36 PM
The only problems I have with making wings involve making them mild enough that they don't kill everyone else. (I tend to like my spicy food spicy.)

That really does sound like they had an incompetent cook that evening.

JediTricks
08-19-2010, 03:24 PM
So, I realize I've missed the boat on 2 panels I took notes on, Transformers and the Lucasfilm Collectibles panel (Gentle Giant, Sideshow, Kotobukiya, eFX). Unfortunately, both panels were somewhat weak, but I think Koto and eFX had some content worth sharing. Think I should pick these up panel notes up a month after the con?

The only problems I have with making wings involve making them mild enough that they don't kill everyone else. (I tend to like my spicy food spicy.)

That really does sound like they had an incompetent cook that evening.
Maybe, but it was a bad enough experience that I haven't had the desire to go back in the last 3 years since. I mean, how hard is it to fry and toss non-breaded chicken wings? Apparently, it's really hard to the 3-man circus that was running their kitchen that night (I watched them work while we waited for a seat).