PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Comic Con Already Sold Out?

Tycho
07-29-2010, 12:07 PM
There are stories going around that 4 Day Passes with Sneak Preview Night for Comic Con 2011 are already sold out.

This is getting ridiculous!

I've tried to go online to buy my tickets for next year's Comic Con but could not purchase them yet.

Perhaps they will be opening the sales up again soon?

I should have bought my tickets for next year at the show last week. Who'd have thought?

El Chuxter
07-29-2010, 12:35 PM
They need to split the toys/comics and movie stuff, maybe with a little overlap. I've said before it's losing the "Comic" and emphasizing the "Con," but this is ridiculous. This year, I only found three booths selling new comics. I was looking for a specific, fairly anticipated comic book (GIJoe #156, the continuation of the old Marvel series). It came out last Wednesday. Every one of the three booths told me they "didn't bring them."

Let the movie part of it go to Anaheim so I don't have to mess with it.

JediTricks
07-29-2010, 02:33 PM
I don't know, Chux. The DC and Marvel booths were going pretty crazy the entire show, IDW was happening as well, and even smaller comic publishers like Fantagraphics had some action. But there's no market in a regular retailer bringing new comics to the show anymore, nobody is looking to spend cover price at Comic-Con thanks to direct sales. I also noticed the Warner, Fox, and other studio booths were scaled back a bit this year, and still busy but not as insane as the last few years. It's the panels where I think the studios have really overtaken Comic-Con, Hall H has become a joke. Also, let's be realistic, the comic market is pretty soft, the majority of comic dealers this year are in golden and silver age titles, and there is a rift between big and little at SDCC in terms of Comic-Con. Without the big stuff, studio and the big comic publishers, I don't think Comic-Con could support itself anywhere anymore, SD or Anaheim.

As for the preview night passes, the website says "sold out" but they're talking about this year's, they haven't updated the site yet from the 2010 badge info. That said, I saw a ton of people just re-upping right at the show, you get "this year's" price and are much more likely to get Preview Night that way, so yeah, I think it's not surprising that the PN badges are going to be tougher to get from here on out. The moment those new badges go on sale, I suggest you grab yours.

Tycho
09-23-2010, 04:16 AM
I still haven't been able to buy my Comic Con tickets for next year.

Has anyone else got theirs?

When will they go on sale?

I want the 4-day and will make sure I get it early to get the Sneak Preview Pass.

I'm going to go all 4 days again, most likely.

JediTricks
09-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Still says "soon". This is ridiculous.

Maradona
09-23-2010, 11:21 PM
At the behest of my lady friend, we stood in line on the Sunday of SDCC to get next year's passes. And thank the Maker, I listened to her. A little over an hour later, all the 4 day passes w/preview night were sold out. From now on, while I wait in the increasingly gargantuan preview night line (we were about 40th in line this year), I'm immediately purchasing the next year's passes.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-24-2010, 12:07 AM
So... the only way to get 4-day passes is to go back in time to get back in line? Easy.

Tycho
09-24-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm hoping they'll sell more 4-days with the Preview Night later.

You know: "Ooops. We just 'found out' that we didn't yet sell out to capacity." :rolleyes:

In any case, yeah really - you need a time machine to attend Comic Con.

But what about Clones to stand in line for you so you can get into all the programs you want to attend?

JediTricks
09-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Then you need to buy passes for your clones, it's a downward spiral.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Unless you clone the passes?

Maybe someone will develop an app where you can "peek into" any and all of the panels, and on an iPad or similar device you can watch multiple ones concurrently.

JediTricks
09-24-2010, 11:28 PM
You can't clone the passes, they're not organic material. And if you were to duplicate them, all you'd get is the same pass over and over, with the same number.

figrin bran
09-25-2010, 12:04 AM
I still haven't been able to buy my Comic Con tickets for next year.

Has anyone else got theirs?

When will they go on sale?

I want the 4-day and will make sure I get it early to get the Sneak Preview Pass.

I'm going to go all 4 days again, most likely.

I thought they would be on sale November 1?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-25-2010, 01:17 PM
You can't clone the passes, they're not organic material. And if you were to duplicate them, all you'd get is the same pass over and over, with the same number.Unless you used rice paper or corn-based materials. Always with you what cannot be done. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
09-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Unless you used rice paper or corn-based materials. Always with you what cannot be done. :rolleyes:
Rice- and corn-based materials cannot be cloned once they are processed.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-25-2010, 11:52 PM
And you have a Farnsworth icon, JT? What good's science if you can't create some mutant strain or horrible hybrid creatures? :pleased:

Oh, and based on the difficulty of getting passes (mutant, or standard), I doubt I may ever attend SDC-C again. :cry: :( :mad:

JediTricks
09-26-2010, 04:13 AM
And you have a Farnsworth icon, JT? What good's science if you can't create some mutant strain or horrible hybrid creatures? :pleased:

Oh, and based on the difficulty of getting passes (mutant, or standard), I doubt I may ever attend SDC-C again. :cry: :( :mad:
It's not the year 3000, the tools to make said things are primitive.

This is just the preview night passes, the 4 days without are still not THAT bad to get... yet.

Tycho
09-29-2010, 06:31 PM
This is just the preview night passes, the 4 days without are still not THAT bad to get... yet.

The other day I couldn't find a link to order them (4 days, regular).

Has something changed and they became available?

DarkArtist
09-30-2010, 10:53 AM
well one of these years hopefully I'll get lucky enough to attend SDCC...been hoping to attend one for years but issues keep coming up that prevents me from attending... oh well...

maybe I'll have some luck with SDCC in 2012:rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-30-2010, 08:13 PM
maybe I'll have some luck with SDCC in 2012:rolleyes:My Mayan friend says ALL the conventions will be virtually empty in 2013; try 'em then. :D

Maradona
09-30-2010, 11:49 PM
I read earlier today that SDCC will be keeping the SD until 2015.

Tycho
10-01-2010, 05:57 AM
I read earlier today that SDCC will be keeping the SD until 2015.

Yes. I got a text from my buddy while I was at the Padres game saying pretty much the same thing.

Meanwhile, 4 day passes with Sneak Preview Night have sold out for Comic Con 2012 and 2013.

The Pre-Sale for Parking for Comic Con 2012 has already started. If you pay before 5pm tomorrow, you can take advantage of their 25ct discount offer.

Also, people have already started to line up for the Lucasfilm, Marvel, and Paramount panels. They don't plan on taking a shower until 2014. Some people have purchased burial plots just outside the convention center in case they don't make it. Naturally, space is limited.

JediTricks
10-01-2010, 04:03 PM
The other day I couldn't find a link to order them (4 days, regular).

Has something changed and they became available?No, they are still not online yet. But there are 105,000 of them that haven't been purchased yet because... THEY'RE NOT ONLINE YET. :p

figrin bran
11-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Once again, they have had to shut down registration this morning.

And I thought Matty.com's servers were not up to the task!

Tycho
11-22-2010, 11:36 AM
There may be a convention where we can watch paint drying which hasn't sold out yet.

Maradona
04-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Parking is now on sale! Act quickly, if you want to get the $10 convention center spots.

sebillba
06-24-2011, 03:19 PM
If anyone is going to SDCC, and would be willing to help me out with the Indiana Jones exclusive set please? Of course I'd cover full cost plus shipping, plus a few dollars on top. Please pm me if you can help, I'd be reeeeeeally grateful!! :D

El Chuxter
07-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Comic-Con management (or their Facebook-posting intern) responded to someone posting the article figgy referred to earlier, and didn't dispute it.

Well, folks, if there's only a 3-hour window for getting the tickets, during the Con, of course, and a 67% increase in the prices, I'll be bowing out. It's not that I can't afford it, I just choose to not afford it. The value of Comic-Con is not $175 per person. Period. It's cheaper to pay the markup on any exclusives I want if none of my friends can snag them for me. As for the half-price graphic novels, well, I can get them for 30% off at Amazon or Borders, and that 20% extra over the whole year doesn't make up for the difference, either.

Making the 4-day passes cost more than the individual days is the most boneheaded, illogical business move I've ever heard of. That'd be like Disneyland charging $50 per day and $19,000 for an annual pass.

Turbowars
07-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Does anyone know if at the con we will be able to buy individual days for next year? Because for the past 7 years I have only been able to buy the whole week pass at the con. I only go Friday through Sunday so I would like to save a few bucks and not buy the whole pass.

Turbowars
07-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Check this out. It all seeams like bad news to me.

COMIC-CON 2012 PRICES

BADGE TYPE
Adult
Junior*
Military /
Senior**

4-DAY WITH Preview Night
$175*
$87*
$87*

4-DAY WITHOUT Preview Night
$150*
$75*
$75*

SINGLE DAY Thurs - Sat
$40
$20
$20

SINGLE DAY Sunday
$23
$11
$11

* Comic-Con will no longer be offering a discount for 4-day badge purchases. We hope that this change will encourage people to purchase only the days they will actually be attending, leaving additional badges for others who want to attend Comic-Con.
2012 Pre-Registration FAQ
Where can I pre-register for 2012? Badges will be sold in the Douglas Pavilion at the Manchester Grand Hyatt located at 1 Market Place (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1+Market+Place,San+Diego+CA&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=45.553578,79.013672&t=h&z=16&iwloc=r10). It is just a short walk from the Convention Center and next to the Marriott Marquis & Marina. You may also take the free Comic-Con shuttle to the Hyatt. Pre-registration will be open Thursday - Sunday from 8:00 am to 11:00 am.

Can I register my friend, child, or spouse without them being there? You may register yourself and one other person only. Children 11 and under are free, one child per paid adult badge.

I didn't get a 2011 badge, can I still pre-register for 2012? You must have a 2011 badge to participate in pre-registration. Online registration for the public will open in the fall.

Who can purchase a badge? All Comic-Con attendees with a valid 2011 badge may pre-register for 2012. However, 2011 Comic-Con attendees with an Exhibitor badge will not be allowed to purchase a badge during this special pre-registration sale.

How many badges can I buy? You may request up to TWO pre-registration sessions per person. During each pre-registration session, you may purchase a 4-day badge with Preview Night, or a 4-day badge without Preview Night, or up to 4 single day badges without duplicated days if they are available when you get to the self-registration computer. You may not purchase two of any single day badge, i.e. you may not purchase two Saturday badges. In total, you may purchase a maximum of two 4-days or 8 single day badges.

How many times can I go through the pre-registration line? An individual may participate in pre-registration only one time. You may not attempt to register multiple times or on multiple days. Your badge will be scanned during the registration process. If your individual badge is scanned for more than two purchases, all additional purchases beyond the first two will be cancelled and you may not receive a refund.

Will all the 4-day badges with Preview Night sell-out again this year? 2012 badge inventory will be divided between pre-registration and our open online registration in the fall. All badge categories will be available at a later date.

How do I pay for my badge? 2012 badges may be purchased by cash or credit card only.

Will all of the 2012 badges sell out on Thursday? No. To ensure that everyone can participate in 2012 pre-registration, we will be selling an equal number of badges each day of the convention, Thursday through Sunday. However, your desired badge category may be sold out by the time you reach the front of the pre-registration line.

I only have a 2011 Friday badge. Can I come on Thursday and buy my 2012 badge? No. You may only purchase a 2012 badge if you have a valid 2011 Comic-Con badge for the day you attend pre-registration.

After I buy my badge at the Hyatt, am I confirmed for 2012? You will receive an e-mail confirmation of your pre-registration purchase at a later date. Your 2012 badge registration is NOT complete until you follow the instructions on this confirmation e-mail. You will be required to sign-up for a Comic-Con Member ID after the convention to complete your badge registration. Only by completing the additional instructions in the e-mail will your registration be complete. Click here (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/cci_reg_memberid.php) for details about the new Comic-Con Member ID requirement

JediTricks
07-17-2011, 02:05 AM
Wow, every single thing there is a blithering mess. I also love the "no discount on 4-day badges", and then it's $10 off from buying 4 separate individual days.

I'm really annoyed that you can't pre-register a badge unless you ALREADY HAVE A BADGE, what the hell is that?!? They're now essentially saying that you have to pay them money for the privilege of paying them more money. But "luckily", you can now buy a badge for a buddy, thus ensuring scalpers have a nice fat place in the party.

Oh, and it's a self-use computer kiosk, very classy, right up there with printing photos at Target.

Maradona
07-17-2011, 02:09 AM
Oh, the grandeur of Line Con never ceases to amaze. It would be nice if they told us how many tickets were on sale per day. I'm going to get there as early as I can on Thursday morning to get in line to buy tickets for next year.

Turbowars
07-17-2011, 01:44 PM
I had to reach out to a loved friend for help here. I have always bought full week passes with preview just in case in the future I could go the whole time. This time I'm just getting Fri-Sunday. What a mess. I can't believe you have to plan everything as small as where you have to park. Right now I have no idea were to park my truck. I have a hotel right next store, but it's not in my name and I'm pretty sure the hotel parking will be full. The other issues are getting in line early enough to get the 2011 badge so I don't have to wait 2 hours to get in and finding a way to get the Hasbro death star set. All the other exclusive have been take care of buy either per-order or just not wanting them.

JediTricks
07-17-2011, 02:07 PM
I had to reach out to a loved friend for help here. I have always bought full week passes with preview just in case in the future I could go the whole time. This time I'm just getting Fri-Sunday. What a mess. I can't believe you have to plan everything as small as where you have to park. Right now I have no idea were to park my truck. I have a hotel right next store, but it's not in my name and I'm pretty sure the hotel parking will be full. The other issues are getting in line early enough to get the 2011 badge so I don't have to wait 2 hours to get in and finding a way to get the Hasbro death star set. All the other exclusive have been take care of buy either per-order or just not wanting them.Sounds like a mess, sorry to hear it. You are so right, the amount of pre-planning required is hampering the fun of Comic-Con more and more every year.

Most of the SDCC hotels charge their guests extra for parking, which I find repulsive. I had an awful time parking in '09, was thrilled to get parking passes in advance for last year, this year things haven't been as smooth.

Hopefully the high pricetag and high number of re-released figures in the Death Star set will make it easier to get. I'm not even buying one at all, not totally sure I'm going to get in the HTS line - last year I barely made it before they capped.

El Chuxter
07-17-2011, 02:34 PM
I've found parking at the mall and taking the Comic-Con shuttle that leaves from the grocery store across the street to be pretty effective. It's not free, but most people don't want to be that far away from the convention center, even with the free shuttle service.

I read somewhere that the reasoning behind selling the 4-day passes for more than the cost of four day passes was to encourage folks who weren't coming for the entire time to buy only the days they'd be attending, so that people didn't buy passes for more days than they needed and leave the other days available for other people. Well, DUH. They created that mess by not making single days available so far in advance, and by making the "far in advance" 4-day passes only negligibly more than single day passes bought closer to the Con.

As for the whole "all additional purchases beyond the first two will be cancelled [sic] and you may not receive a refund," is that legal? If they're scanning badges, shouldn't they be able to preemptively prevent people from buying more than two? Selling them, then canceling then and potentially not issuing a refund seems unethical, at the very least.

JediTricks
07-17-2011, 03:46 PM
I've found parking at the mall and taking the Comic-Con shuttle that leaves from the grocery store across the street to be pretty effective. It's not free, but most people don't want to be that far away from the convention center, even with the free shuttle service.Be VERY careful about parking at the mall. In '07, we met up with some of Tycho and Steve's friends on preview night, they had parked at the mall without reading the pricing, and it was somewhere around $50!

I read somewhere that the reasoning behind selling the 4-day passes for more than the cost of four day passes was to encourage folks who weren't coming for the entire time to buy only the days they'd be attending, so that people didn't buy passes for more days than they needed and leave the other days available for other people. Well, DUH. They created that mess by not making single days available so far in advance, and by making the "far in advance" 4-day passes only negligibly more than single day passes bought closer to the Con.Yes, that reasoning is even restated in the FAQ that Turbo quoted. For 2012, single days are going to be made available the same time as the 4-day, so at least they have done SOMETHING right.

As for the whole "all additional purchases beyond the first two will be cancelled [sic] and you may not receive a refund," is that legal? If they're scanning badges, shouldn't they be able to preemptively prevent people from buying more than two? Selling them, then canceling then and potentially not issuing a refund seems unethical, at the very least.I don't see how not giving out a refund can be legal, but since it's automated, there's probably going to be a mountain of fine print that you have to put your thumb next to which gives them permission to do anything they like.

If I weren't media, I don't think I'd go anymore. Management is making it hard to see the love.

El Chuxter
07-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Maybe I wasn't actually "at" the mall. It was in that area, though. Not cheap, but definitely not $50, either.

JediTricks
07-18-2011, 01:11 PM
If you're paying anything over $20, you may as well park at Petco, at least there's a LOT of parking and it's not that far a walk, especially with the new foot bridge to the Hilton finally complete - sucks to be pedicab guys (not just because of the new bridge ;)).

figrin bran
07-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Here's something else to add to the convention center's missteps. Wi-fi is only available if you're with AT&T.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-21-2011, 11:29 AM
The newspaper (and online, of course) comic Luann has had a SDCC theme this week. But I've noticed some errors: the outdoor panel of the Convention Center has some cement sidewalk visible instead of crowds of people lined up on it, plus the characters can walk around inside without others elbowing them or fighting to get into lines. :p ;)

El Chuxter
07-21-2011, 07:44 PM
This year seems even more a fustercluck than previous years.

I'll share about my experience with completely clueless twits at the HTS ticket line later. But for now, I'm heading back in.

figrin bran
07-24-2011, 01:22 PM
This year seems even more a fustercluck than previous years.

I'll share about my experience with completely clueless twits at the HTS ticket line later. But for now, I'm heading back in.

Agreed on both points but I'm too tired from my 3.5 days there for now to elaborate.

I guess it's really hard to get all of your staff on the same page????

Tycho
08-09-2011, 03:50 AM
Sorry I wasn't able to meet people at an SSG Lunch I assume most here went to while at the Con.

I can't remember why I was busy at that hour, but I made everything I wanted to this year:

Sons of Anarchy
Wilfred
Falling Skies
Star Wars
Transformers

Only Walking Dead had to be missed because it was scheduled concurrently with Star Wars.

JediTricks
08-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Here's something else to add to the convention center's missteps. Wi-fi is only available if you're with AT&T.That turned out not to be true, they had a free wifi available to all the whole show, it was just the same mediocre wifi as last year, and it didn't work in the southeast corner of the convention center. :p

It turns out my cousin was called in at the last minute for Sunday security, she was working afternoon shift at Hall D's door, I must have missed her by an hour, I almost went back that way but ended up hanging out with Steve the rest of the afternoon instead. My cuz said they didn't supply parking and didn't really give them instruction beyond "badges yes, no badges no", with that info she caught a WHOLE FAMILY who had gotten through the front doors and were heading into the hall without badges.

I am quite curious of what Chux has to say about the SDCC2012 kiosks, I haven't heard much but what I heard was worrying.

El Chuxter
08-09-2011, 10:37 PM
I am quite curious of what Chux has to say about the SDCC2012 kiosks, I haven't heard much but what I heard was worrying.
Not much. I wasn't kidding when I said the increase was too much to stomach, and didn't bother.

Turbowars
02-04-2012, 11:39 PM
I know it's early, but did everyone get their ID #'s and have everything taken care of for this year? Anyone just say forget it? I'm all good, just need a place to stay, but that's more fun to come huh? I hope they makes changes for the better this year.

Tycho
02-05-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm registered but haven't been notified to buy my tickets yet.

I had a different kind of pass last year and I wasn't allowed to buy this year's tickets on site.

So I became an "e-mail member," and await my chance to get ripped-off.

Turbowars
02-05-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm registered but haven't been notified to buy my tickets yet.

I had a different kind of pass last year and I wasn't allowed to buy this year's tickets on site.

So I became an "e-mail member," and await my chance to get ripped-off.This has gotten completely out of hand! Here's the thing, you now pretty much have had to go the previous year to go the next year. So lets just say you can't make it because something happens you can never get in.

JediTricks
02-17-2012, 04:31 PM
No, but you have to be prepared for disappointment. Half the tickets were held back for selling online, and there doesn't seem to be a first-come-first-served order to the member ID thing, so you could have gotten your member id first and still not get your tickets if they sell out fast.

I was just looking at this last night because I was at the SDCC website for the Wondercon page (they've moved Wondercon to Anaheim) and it needs the same member ID thing. Very convoluted, but it could fix some of the problems of people buying extra passes.

Tycho
02-18-2012, 05:36 AM
What about scalping the passes you can buy, JT?

Is that still possible?

So they even check if say, I sell my pass to a girl named Carly, and SHE approaches the doors wearing a nametag that says Josh?

JediTricks
02-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Who knows if they'll implement tighter security regarding badges. Actually, come July I can ask my cousin, she worked security last year on Sunday and will be working the whole show this year, but they don't tell them in advance anything like this. Maybe they'll make everybody wear wristbands color-coded by gender or age.

Maradona
02-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Volunteer registration for 2012 is open, I believe.

Tycho
02-23-2012, 06:55 PM
JT, you know, last year I brought REAL guns and a bayonet into Comic Con for that Civil War skit I volunteered to be in for the costume masquerade.

NO ONE checked me or noticed. Because of the rules against politicking for the costume masquerade, you can't wear your costume in the convention and be allowed to show it during the contest with several thousands of dollars in prizes are awarded.

But there's nowhere to hide a five-foot-plus long rifle.

As no one even bothered to question me, I stopped quickly into the exhibit hall to show the Hasbro team what I was up to and invite them to the program that evening. The costume masquerade is very funny and entertaining when it unfolds before a live audience and I highly recommend attending it - though that's always been a process too (tickets are free but you have to go and pick them up on that Saturday during the convention :apthy: )

Anyway, THEN I proceeded to the costume contest dressing rooms / staging area to meet up with my Civil War buddies.

The point is, if the security staff doesn't notice a 5 foot long rifle, or bother with a bayonet when their policy says they don't even allow pocket-knives or box cutters for non-exhibitors (I think) then if my pass said "Salina Gomez" on it, I'm not sure they'd question me.

It's kind of a good idea to also institute non-removeable wrist bands, but I had to wear one for my program last year (which might be why they let me in with the rifle now that I think about that - but others in my re-enacting unit got in with their weapons, too). The wrist band was very annoying to have to wear even in the shower for 5 days.

But I suppose it was less of an inconvenience for those attending comic con who don't shower even once in 5 days :grin:

JediTricks
02-27-2012, 05:01 PM
I'll make sure to let security know to stop you every time you walk in the building then. :p

Wondercon is in 2 weeks and they still don't have a programming schedule up yet despite having nowhere near the amount of programming of SDCC. I swear these guys fly by the seat of their pants.

Maradona
02-27-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm also disappointed in there not being a Wonder Con programming schedule posted yet. I plan to attend all three, unless I'm convinced otherwise by the schedule. I'm hoping the trend of showing the next DC animated film at the convention preceding it will continue - I'd like to see the how they've put the Dark Knight Returns together. I would also assume that Marvel will show Avengers footage, considering its release will be 6 weeks away. Maybe we'll get some Spiderman, Dark Knight Rises, or Prometheus footage? Game of Thrones begins a couple of weeks later, so maybe they'll have a panel. There's usually a DC Direct exclusive figure.

For those who have not been to Wonder Con before, I went last year in San Fran and it reminded me of SDCC from the early-mid 90s: not too packed, friendly atmosphere, reasonable lines, plenty of space in the panels, affordably priced admission. I enjoyed that aspect of it. The drive up there and back wasn't as pleasant as going down to SD, but I didn't regret the trip. I doubt the tone and scope will be comparable over in Anaheim, but I'll attend nonetheless.

Maradona
02-28-2012, 02:55 PM
And sure enough, the schedule appears:

http://comic-con.org/wc/wc_prog_fri.php

Tycho
03-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Presumably, something happened and thus far I've missed out on it. :(

figrin bran
03-03-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm sorry to hear about that, Tycho.

Well, yet another fiasco for today's SDCC badge sales! Unfortunately, it seems not everyone that registered an SDCC member ID got the email about today's onsale. And those that did get the email were provided a link which did not work at all. There were some postings on SDCC's facebook page about how the link diverted us to "dmanalytics.com", some sort of data mining site(???) For those that clicked on it, myself included, precious time was wasted. What we really needed to do was either paste the link into our browser or else click onto the official SDCC site, both of which took precious seconds.

The end result of me being 2 minutes late was that I ended up 19397th in line and ended up with only a pass for Thursday (though I could have added a Sunday if I wanted to).

El Chuxter
03-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Judging from the Facebook posts and comments, their system was insanely jacked up.

Maradona
03-04-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm happy to coordinate for any exclusives you all may miss. I'll be there on Preview night for my annual rage attack and I might spend the early part of Thursday in the line for 2013 passes.

JediTricks
03-04-2012, 07:32 PM
What a disaster! So many of my friends did not get tickets because of the way they handled this. The speed with which these sold through is disgusting, they've made it impossible to get into this show now and it's unfair. I want to say something to their faces about this at Wondercon in 2 weeks, but I am not sure their letting me in with a press badge is the appropriate way to voice something like that.

figrin bran
04-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Just to show how absurd SDCC's registration and hotel systems are, in 2 years of their online badge registration system, I've only managed a single day pass for Thursday of this year.

In that same time span, I've been assigned my first choice in the hotel registration lotteries both this year and last year. And it's a downtown hotel within reasonable distance of the convention center to boot. So apparently, at least for me, it's a LOT easier to land housing than it is a badge for the convention.

Maradona
04-03-2012, 11:18 AM
I set myself up at the Town and Country in Hotel Circle back in February. It was the cheapest and I don't mind the morning drive into the convention center. If I can't pre-pay parking, I'll take the shuttle in.

Tycho
04-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Maradona, that's 2 freeway exits from where I live.

JediTricks
04-04-2012, 08:48 PM
That's why I was so surprised that you didn't get your badges last year since sales were going on right by your house.

FB, you have the worst badge luck man, it's so frustrating. I actually get mad on your behalf about it.

My mom and her husband want to go this year, I had to explain to them about the badge situation, it's VERY frustrating.

Maradona
04-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Tycho, I love Hotel Circle. I stay there every summer for SDCC, along with the occasional trip there for the AVID conference. Everything an out of towner needs is there. My now ex-ladyfriend also loved it and we'd make it a point to visit the Target, as there was always something we'd forgotten to bring.

figrin bran
04-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Yes, I do have the worst luck with badges ;)

I wouldn't mind staying at the Town and Country and even ranked it high on my hotel lottery list. The one reservation I have is fear of the shuttles and/or trolleys getting overcrowded. I went to the Town and Country 2 years ago for badge pick up and both of the trolley lines I took to get there were extremely packed and not entirely from con goers either.

JediTricks
04-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Well, they've done it again, albeit in a smaller way. 2 years ago, I was able to get parking in the convention center because they posted the news of the permits going live on their website. So last year, I subscribed to the site's RSS feed and they never posted that news there, only on their Facebook, so I missed out on the convention center and had to settle for second place, permits for the Hilton (same price and it's next door, but it's still a bit of a schlep compared to how beautiful parking at the convention center was). This year, they announced the parking would be available mid-April and they'd post it on their Facebook, I don't do FB but I was able to create their FB posts as an RSS feed and also created a feed from their Twitter, then added it to my Google Reader, my phone, my tablet, everything I could think of. Well, today the news went up that passes were available, I was there right away, and lo-and-behold, the friggin' Convention Center was already sold out. Why? BECAUSE THE PARKING WENT AVAILABLE LAST WEDNESDAY!!!! What the hell is that?!? Waiting 5 days to make it known to the public? This is ridiculous, at this point you'll have to be a blood relative of one of the SDCC committee members to go to this show, and a household member to park there. :rolleyes:

At least I got passes for the Hilton again.

Maradona
04-23-2012, 06:37 PM
I think the SDCC organizers prioritized the exhibitors for the convention center parking, just like it seems they do for the HTS line on preview night.

JediTricks
04-24-2012, 05:01 PM
I think the SDCC organizers prioritized the exhibitors for the convention center parking, just like it seems they do for the HTS line on preview night.Then they shouldn't bother saying it'll be available at all. Next year I'm just going to bypass Comic-Con's info altogether and go straight to the Permit Store page every day.

Tycho
04-24-2012, 06:49 PM
They have now started a line to get an ID number for the Permit to Complain line.

Only a limited number of complaints will be accepted, so you must get a log-in ID first in order to complain.

Note that the new complaints will be allowed on a first-come-first-served bases until the complaint quota has reached it's maximum capacity.

Please respond immediately when your number in line in scheduled, as the time and numbers of complaints allowed will have to be limited due to regulations set by Homeland Security.

Major Un Farley
Comic Con Bored of Directionless

JediTricks
04-26-2012, 10:48 PM
That was amusing, especially from you. :evil: ;)

figrin bran
05-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Apparently there is not going to be on site preregistration at SDCC for 2013 badges. I got sent a survey from them today containing that bit of information as well as questions assessing the viability of alternatives to the on site prereg.

Maradona
05-22-2012, 08:22 AM
I also filled out that survey. There should still be pre-registration, but I suspect they will be altering the method. How did you all respond to the survey? I submitted that there should be on-site pre-registration, where 60% of the tickets are available. I don't think that the pre-registration is SDCC's Achilles' Heel. It seems their online method is the problem, along with overselling the show.

figrin bran
05-22-2012, 11:01 PM
I got another email today regarding the upcoming last chance badge resales. So rather than offer 4 day badges, they've decided to just split the ones that were returned into single days.

That means I won't have any shot at preview night but maybe Friday and Saturday? (I hope!)

As for that survey, Maradona, I said yes to pre-reg and 50%.

El Chuxter
05-23-2012, 12:28 AM
I say they split it. One convention for the geeks who want to go for comics, toys, maybe some video games and movies. Another convention for the "wannabes" (and I really do hate using that, since I'm not trying to be derisive) for the big Hollywood blockbusters.

JediTricks
05-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Interesting stuff. I can see why they'd want to dump pre-reg, it is a disaster now and makes the convention a closed-loop system, impossible to bring in new blood. On the other hand, the pre-reg crowd is a guaranteed payer, already knows the rules and how the system works, and the disaster of getting tix online later is avoided for half those people.

Hey Chux, when was the last time you went to Wondercon, or any of the LA monthly Comic & Sci-Fi cons http://www.comicbookscifi.com/ ? I don't think SDCC is 2 conventions, I think it's 1 convention and the fans simply have ever-widening tastes (even the awful Twilight fans and such, even the Gleeks - nobody pays $175 to camp in line overnight to see 1 90-minute panel and NOTHING ELSE).

Tycho
05-23-2012, 11:32 PM
I still think people should pre-register for seats in panels they plan to attend so they won't have to spend all the convention waiting in line.

Rooms can be entirely cleared that way, and those who have tickets to panels in the same room immediately following one they just attended can produce them for security so as to not be escorted out.

Thus, you can stay in the Star Wars room all day if you pre-registered for that - and now save your "good seat," or move up.

Before the panel starts, a line for those waiting in hopes of No-Shows will be admitted to the room's capacity.

The only pressure it to be on time for your panels, because you won't be admitted once the seats are occupied to up a full house when the No Show Opportunity Line is let in.

Having no pre-registration for next year by this current year's attendees will further strain the system.

I would suggest that two sites be operated online - one accessable by the current attendees whose 2012 badges have random passcodes on them for 2013 registration - and only a certain percentage of them being valid. Whether your passcode works will be determined at the 2012 re-registration held online before the newbie 2013 tickets are sold. This way there will be opportunities for those who didn't attend 2012, and also a chance for regular attendees to get a second chance at returning, a fair and equal opportunity with everyone else.

Meanwhile, it sucks if you wait in line to go to a convention, only to miss it, waiting in another line to go back the next year to the same convention.

JediTricks
05-24-2012, 06:08 PM
That's just creating an added layer of bureaucratic interference which means higher costs (gotta pay people to pre-reg the panels, then pay people to deal with that at the doors), and will only lead to even WORSE problems for lines and scalping. Moreover, it's pretty much impossible since the panel schedule isn't set until less than a month before the show and even then is fairly fluid even up until the last day of the con.

Tycho
05-25-2012, 02:09 AM
Well, I tried JT.

Could you FIX Comic Con for me and the rest of us, please? Thanx!

JediTricks
05-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Bigger rooms. More thoughtful counter-scheduling. The acceptance that the venue isn't remotely big enough for demand anymore so you have to put up with lines. Use more of the rooms above Hall H. Run more big-panel replays in the evenings. Use both Hall H and Ballroom 20 on Sunday instead of one or the other. Extend convention day times by 1 hour. Use Hall H at night. Rent the lawn outside of the Bayside Hilton and create a temporary panel venue. Rent more of the Marriott's space and use it for programming. Rent the parking lot on the jetty on the west side of the convention center stairs and turn it into another panel venue. Use Petco Park for programming. If you look at it, there's actually a lot of free space around the convention center being unused or under-utilized which could provide some level of short-term relief until the new convention center wing is built.

Also, it'd help to build another convention center extension over the west stairs leading down to Embarcadero Marina Park (south) and the 5th ave pier, keeping the harbor on the north side. Since that area is already an artificial marina, it won't be hard to drain the sections needed and build a foundation. It's already the right shape, and half the space is pre-built foundation since it's a roadway jetty. There's also a parking lot on 1st and Island, I'd knock that down and put up a multi-story parking lot that digs down if possible. As for the band shell on the park, just move it from the South to the North park.

As for people sitting in a hall all day to see 1 thing, that's not going away, it's time-consuming and expensive to sweep big rooms - Hall H has its own bathrooms, how are you going to ensure you get everybody out of there without legal issues? All you can do is extend day hours, use counter-programming and smarter scheduling, and limit the number of people at the venue in general.

Maradona
05-26-2012, 11:00 PM
Use Petco Park for programming ... limit the number of people at the venue in general.

I like all of your suggestions, JT, but the two above are my favorites. I've called for Petco Park to be used for years and this can seemingly be implemented quicker than most of the other measures. Thousands upon thousands can be accommodated there. The big Hall H panels can move there, the suddenly bigger Ballroom 20 panels can move down to Hall H, and the congestion of the 1-6ABCD rooms can be alleviated by the extra space made available from freeing up 20. A simple solution without having to immediately construct anything permanent.

Maradona
05-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Just pre-ordered the Mattel exclusives for SDCC. The only one I missed out on was the Monster High offering (judgment-free zone here, people). I still wish that HTS would get their act together and set up pre-orders like this.

JediTricks
05-30-2012, 03:21 PM
I like all of your suggestions, JT, but the two above are my favorites. I've called for Petco Park to be used for years and this can seemingly be implemented quicker than most of the other measures. Thousands upon thousands can be accommodated there. The big Hall H panels can move there, the suddenly bigger Ballroom 20 panels can move down to Hall H, and the congestion of the 1-6ABCD rooms can be alleviated by the extra space made available from freeing up 20. A simple solution without having to immediately construct anything permanent.The problem with Petco is it's a large venue and would be expensive to rent and expensive to staff, and its shape isn't really the type of thing they're looking for, but it's better than NO solution which is what they have right now. Also, they should use Petco's ticket windows to do... ticket stuff for SDCC if nothing else, but sometimes Petco will be in use the first day of Comic-Con for the Padres to exhibit their amazing skills of choking in the clutch so consistently. Petco also has the public park area behind that could be used for some sort of queuing or exhibit space (it'd have to be closed to the public for anything Comic-Con anyway). There are solutions, the city and the con committee just need to think more outside the box (the box being the large rectangle west of Harbor drive).

I hate having to suggest limiting attendance, I have friends even today who want to go but cannot year after year, but the reality is that the convention is at capacity every year and has to pull shenanigans just to get an extra 2k people in, renting space in the Marriott for lesser stuff like films and then telling the fire marshal that those 2k people will at any one time use those facilities instead of the main convention facilities. Until SDCC gets a real solution or at least a way to get 10k people out of the convention center at any one time, attendance needs to be limited to existing numbers.

Just pre-ordered the Mattel exclusives for SDCC. The only one I missed out on was the Monster High offering (judgment-free zone here, people). I still wish that HTS would get their act together and set up pre-orders like this.I don't even know what to say to that Monster High thing. :p

I don't know how great the Mattel pre-order situation is, those people who preordered seem to wait in line just as long as the HTS people. Or am I missing something? Also, I wouldn't trust Hasbro not to accidentally sell my stuff before I picked it up. That said, yeah, HTS' booth is a disaster now and something does need to be done, even if it's not the perfect way. Pre-orders and Hasbro have never worked well in the past, but I'd take that over the mess they have now.

figrin bran
05-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Just pre-ordered the Mattel exclusives for SDCC. The only one I missed out on was the Monster High offering (judgment-free zone here, people). I still wish that HTS would get their act together and set up pre-orders like this.

I preordered one for a friend and could have added one for you!

We'll have to coordinate on the Hasbro exclusives for sure.

Tomorrow is the last chance for badge resales so wish me luck on getting a Fri and/or Sat badge.

Maradona
05-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Maybe I'll get lucky at SDCC and be able to pick one up. I hope tomorrow works out.

figrin bran
05-31-2012, 11:28 AM
I came close but a strikeout is a strikeout...Looks like I'll have just a day at the con but a multi day stay in SD.

Maradona
05-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Ouch. Which day are you there? I can help you get a pass for next year. I won't be buying an extra this time.

figrin bran
05-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Ouch. Which day are you there? I can help you get a pass for next year. I won't be buying an extra this time.

I don't think they're having on site pre reg for next year but if they are, I'll take you up on that offer.

And I'll be there Thurs. Could have bought a Sunday this morning but didn't feel that finding a hotel for an additional night was worth it.

Maradona
06-03-2012, 11:33 AM
SDCC just got more crowded:

http://www.thewalkingdeadescape.com/

At least Petco Park is being used for something...

El Chuxter
06-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Given that all the freebie stuff is outside now, I'm more or less planning on being in town part of that week and just taking the trolley into downtown to hang out a day or so. The cost of admission cancels out the savings on the half-price trade paperbacks, and it's becoming more difficult to get into any panels. :(

However, if anyone is braving the Hasbro panel and doesn't want to get the Shockwave HISS Tank and can snag me one (assuming the cost doesn't turn out to be absolutely insane), I would be eternally grateful. :D

DarkJedi5
06-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Anybody have any idea what the availability for the Hasbro "Carbon-Freeze" exclusive is going to be like? Usually, I would just order it from HTS but the website has been so bad this year that I'm a bit concerned it may not make it onto the web….

figrin bran
06-06-2012, 12:59 AM
Given that all the freebie stuff is outside now, I'm more or less planning on being in town part of that week and just taking the trolley into downtown to hang out a day or so. The cost of admission cancels out the savings on the half-price trade paperbacks, and it's becoming more difficult to get into any panels. :(

However, if anyone is braving the Hasbro panel and doesn't want to get the Shockwave HISS Tank and can snag me one (assuming the cost doesn't turn out to be absolutely insane), I would be eternally grateful. :D

Chux, I may be able to help with the Shockwave HISS...I'm on the fence as far as getting one for myself but I definitely want Jinx and Terrorcon Cliffjumper

Anybody have any idea what the availability for the Hasbro "Carbon-Freeze" exclusive is going to be like? Usually, I would just order it from HTS but the website has been so bad this year that I'm a bit concerned it may not make it onto the web….

I'm sure they'll have some quantities left over for the post SDCC sale.

Maradona
06-06-2012, 01:25 AM
Chux, I may be able to help with the Shockwave HISS...I'm on the fence as far as getting one for myself but I definitely want Jinx and Terrorcon Cliffjumper.

I just saw pictures today of the HTS Masters of Evil exclusive 3-pack, so I'll be adding that to my SDCC HTS want list. It now includes:

Shockwave HISS
Jinx (both)
Masters of Evil
Bruticus

Maradona
06-10-2012, 11:31 AM
I just saw pictures today of the HTS Masters of Evil exclusive 3-pack, so I'll be adding that to my SDCC HTS want list. It now includes:

Shockwave HISS
Jinx (both)
Masters of Evil
Bruticus

Curse you Hasbro! I now have to the the Marvel Legends 3-pack and the Maria Hill/Helicarrier to this list.

Tycho
06-11-2012, 04:33 AM
The Walking Dead at PETCO Park is my idea, baby!

I am friends with Tom Garfinkel, the President / COO of the Padres.

I suggested they do a Walking Dead Night for a game promotion but Tom thought it would scare the kids.

Since the Padres will be away during Comic Con - they always will be JediTricks - it's smart programming to not crowd out the trolleys, etc any more than Comic Con already does - they are going to do Zombie Night at PETCO Park while the team is gone.

JediTricks
06-13-2012, 06:46 PM
We're inside 1 month from Comic-Con!

Maradona
06-13-2012, 10:08 PM
We're inside 1 month from Comic-Con!

I'm looking forward to see what SDCC has learned from the past few years. I'm both excited and apprehensive.

figrin bran
06-14-2012, 01:43 AM
Curse you Hasbro! I now have to the the Marvel Legends 3-pack and the Maria Hill/Helicarrier to this list.

I don't want to drop that much on the Helicarrier and it's not like I have the space for it so here's hoping Maria Hill finds a retail release, maybe a movie version? Maybe in a multipack with Agent Coulson?

I forgot about the BAT in Constructicon colors so the Shockwave HISS is back on my list now. The two Marvel 3 packs are tempting but I think I'll pass.

Tycho
06-14-2012, 02:20 AM
What am I looking forward to?

Not as much. I usually have a good time, but I had resolved with myself the fact that I might not get in to Comic Con a while back, but it appears that has changed. It had not looked good for a while. That was for sure.

Now, I look forward to:

*01A making another LIST and posting it on the internet

1) Seeing the upcoming Hasbro SW toys
2) Seeing the upcoming SideShow SW toys
3) Seeing the upcoming Hasbro Transformers
4) Talking to the Hasbro SW Team
5) Talking to the SideShow SW Team
6) Talking to the Hasbro Transformers team
7) Seeing any information on Star Trek 12 (reboot 2)
8) Talking to the SideShow team about new Terminator products
9) seeing the Hasbro Marvel and Joe Collectibles (though I don't buy 'em - I like 'em!)
10) listening to the Del Rey SW book panel
11) listeing to the Dark Horse SW comic panel
12) Walking Dead panel
13) Wilfred panel
14) Falling Skies panel
15) Sons of Anarchy panel
16) Archer panel (do they have one?)
17) Unsupervised panel (do they have one?)
18) Clone Wars panel
19) Lucasfilm panel (Indiana Jones 5? Live-Action SW in the face of Lucas' retirement?)
20) Alien / Predator / Promethius panel?
21) Avatar panel news (do they have one?)
22) people in costumes
23) movie props and promos to take pictures of and learn about
24) The Dark Knight Rises!!!
25) Batman Hot Toys
26) T-shirts of my favorite stuff I can buy
27) seeing friends I usually only see at Comic Con time
28) Maybe getting a bargain on Soundwave or Leadfoot (not Cyberverse) toys from DOTM

Probably plenty of other things.

JediTricks
06-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Well, my hotel fell through, they changed reservation systems and lost my reservation. So now it doesn't look like I'm going at all, I'm scrambling to find anything but it's booked up horribly at what I can afford.

EDIT: I booked a motel 6 that's a little closer but $250 more, which really eats into my budget, and doesn't have a mini-fridge or microwave, so breakfast is going to be rough - I'm thinking mini-wheats and milk boxes (I nearly forgot that they still make milk boxes, I was gonna use soy milk full-sizers but this is better).

The reservations guy at my first motel might honor my price, in which case I'd have a tough choice to make - those last 6 miles between La Mesa and El Cajon are a bit of a slog after a full day of Comic-Con, but $250 is a lot of money for my comic-con budget.

TeeEye7
06-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Motel 6? Pack your Kevlar, JT!

Maradona
06-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Well, my hotel fell through, they changed reservation systems and lost my reservation. So now it doesn't look like I'm going at all, I'm scrambling to find anything but it's booked up horribly at what I can afford.

EDIT: I booked a motel 6 that's a little closer but $250 more, which really eats into my budget, and doesn't have a mini-fridge or microwave, so breakfast is going to be rough - I'm thinking mini-wheats and milk boxes (I nearly forgot that they still make milk boxes, I was gonna use soy milk full-sizers but this is better).

The reservations guy at my first motel might honor my price, in which case I'd have a tough choice to make - those last 6 miles between La Mesa and El Cajon are a bit of a slog after a full day of Comic-Con, but $250 is a lot of money for my comic-con budget.

If you're staying at the same motel 6 I stayed in, bring air freshener. The first night there, I had to get up and go to Walmart to pick up some Febreez just to be able to sleep. And that was in the non-smoking room. The place was the cheapest in quality I had been to in San Diego, but none of my things were touched. There were some rough looking customers there, along with several Comic Con attendees.

It's hard to believe we're only three and half weeks away already.

JediTricks
06-19-2012, 03:08 AM
I've retitled the thread since it's no longer about SDCC 2011.

Motel 6? Pack your Kevlar, JT!At first I just thought "oh ha ha", then I realized what you do for a living and that you'd know. :( That said, I checked the neighborhood crime stats, they're actually at or even well under the national average except in motor vehicle theft, so I'll try not to think about one of your brethren examining my brains splattered all over the walls. :(x2

If you're staying at the same motel 6 I stayed in, bring air freshener. The first night there, I had to get up and go to Walmart to pick up some Febreez just to be able to sleep. And that was in the non-smoking room. The place was the cheapest in quality I had been to in San Diego, but none of my things were touched. There were some rough looking customers there, along with several Comic Con attendees.

It's hard to believe we're only three and half weeks away already.La Mesa? Oh man, that sucks to hear. How long ago was that? Supposedly they've refreshed the facilities. The place I stayed the last 2 years, the one that lost my reservation this year in a very permanent manner, they had a bit of a funk but it was easy to overlook after only a few minutes.

TeeEye7
06-19-2012, 03:56 AM
At first I just thought "oh ha ha", then I realized what you do for a living and that you'd know. :( That said, I checked the neighborhood crime stats, they're actually at or even well under the national average except in motor vehicle theft, so I'll try not to think about one of your brethren examining my brains splattered all over the walls. :(x2

Just looking out for your welfare, my friend. I'm not trying to alarm, only trying to make you aware. In our county, the folks that "keep the light on for you" is a well-known site for job security for me (unfortunately). Take care, sir!

Maradona
06-19-2012, 08:48 AM
I
La Mesa? Oh man, that sucks to hear. How long ago was that? Supposedly they've refreshed the facilities. The place I stayed the last 2 years, the one that lost my reservation this year in a very permanent manner, they had a bit of a funk but it was easy to overlook after only a few minutes.

I think that was it, but can't remember exactly the town's name. It was below San Diego, heading towards the border. I stayed there in 2009. Things could only improve there, so I'm glad to hear they have, if only on paper thus far.

Tycho
06-19-2012, 09:35 AM
I stay at probably a dozen hotels every year - mostly for Civil War, gunfighter, and movie shoots I'm doing.

While it might be obvious that I'm armed with at least 2 or more firearms wherever I'm staying or going, I've never had a problem - and can't remember the last time I had a noisy neighbor either.

I usually pick Holiday Inn Express or Best Westerns though. In their absense I've stayed in Motel 6s, Comfort Inns, and the likes - whatever was available (a hanuted hotel in a western ghost town too, actually.)

Still, I've never had a problem and now we're talking about at least 36 hotel stays since 2009 and my kidney transplant.

JediTricks
06-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Just looking out for your welfare, my friend. I'm not trying to alarm, only trying to make you aware. In our county, the folks that "keep the light on for you" is a well-known site for job security for me (unfortunately). Take care, sir!Have you guys drummed up statistics on Motel 6 crime levels yet, and how they compare to other hotel chains.

I usually carry a folding knife for such locations, maybe I should switch that to a fold-assist though, faster and nastier sounding. (All my knives are CA-legal, copper! ;))

I think that was it, but can't remember exactly the town's name. It was below San Diego, heading towards the border. I stayed there in 2009. Things could only improve there, so I'm glad to hear they have, if only on paper thus far.OH THANK GOD. No, that's Chula Vista, which has a much worse reputation in general than La Mesa, although a friend of mine stayed at a different budget hotel in that area the last 3 years and said she liked it fine. La Mesa is northeast of San Diego.

El Chuxter
06-19-2012, 04:42 PM
My in-laws lived in Chula Vista, right near the border, for a while. I never experienced any problems, even walking a mile from the trolley stop at night, carrying a few bags of Comic-Con swag.

I'll confess, though, San Ysidro (where the actual border crossing is) kinda scares me.

figrin bran
06-20-2012, 12:20 AM
JT, it sounds like my SDCC related misfortunes are rubbing off on you! ;)

Hope everything works out for you

TeeEye7
06-20-2012, 04:11 AM
JT:

Rule of thumb: any motel/hotel with a number in its name is usually trouble. ("Economy", "budget" words are also to be avoided).

Friendly advice: I'd add some OC to the arsenal when walking around. At home, keep some wasp insecticide spray handy (no kidding! Great stand-off range and ruins a bad guy's day!).

Tycho
06-20-2012, 04:32 PM
All the above worries are seriously a surprise to me.

With at least a dozen hotel stays every year - and me quite often looking for "Budget" rooms and the likes (except when Holiday Inn Express or Best Western are available - I rather like them), it's hardly a big deal.

I used to live in LaMesa (my old apartment where SirSteve had stayed with me many years ago at prior Comic Cons) and it was near San Diego State and only the average amount of crime went on in the area - and none of which I can recall being witness too - though I was once paranoid some guy stole my phone and my underwear. (Didn't turn out to be true.)

Now I live in San Diego, but usually loathe having house guests for Comic Con. In 2006, I had too many - people sleeping on the floor in the living room, my cats getting scared from the people over and crapping and throwing up because they were distressed from the change to what they were usually accustomed to - and me having to be quiet in my living room / kitchen area when I wake up in the middle of the night and want to make myself something to eat and bang around doing laundry and dishes - or the cat boxes which have to be done when I'm not actually at Comic Con.

It got to be too much, really fast.

As it is, I am unable to work right now, because I am cleaning up so that I can at least host Steve in my spare room. On the extra bed are boxes of my Star Wars or Transformers that I need to drive 40 minutes round trip to return to my storage so that I can uncover my 2nd bed to sleep on.

While working from home, I NEVER keep a tight house. I write and do my thing and don't worry about it when I live alone and almost NEVER have company over - or can have at least the living room and one bedroom clear for a short visit.

So now I'm losing work time on my writing and delaying when my 2nd novel will be ready for review and instead preparing my house since there's just under a month out until the con. I am seriously irritated to do all this, plus load the truck for multiple trips to the storage, buring gas and hours I could spend otherwise. I've been starting to hate comic con every year because of this.

I swear that if I weren't so broke right now due to my business expenses, I'd just live in a hotel and say F-it.

JediTricks
06-21-2012, 12:53 AM
JT, it sounds like my SDCC related misfortunes are rubbing off on you! ;)

Hope everything works out for youYeah it does seem that way! :p

Thanks, and you too. When are you actually going to be down there, and what of those days are you going to the con at this point?

JT:

Rule of thumb: any motel/hotel with a number in its name is usually trouble. ("Economy", "budget" words are also to be avoided).

Friendly advice: I'd add some OC to the arsenal when walking around. At home, keep some wasp insecticide spray handy (no kidding! Great stand-off range and ruins a bad guy's day!).If I could avoid hotels like that, I definitely would - and I did try to, although the place I had been staying the last few years almost certainly would end up in your list if it had an adjective in the title ;) - but at this point and on my budget, I have no choices left, I couldn't find anything within 40 miles as good or better than where I ended up, not even close actually.

I really would prefer not to carry pepper spray, just the thought of that is a bummer, and I'd probably fumble it or blast myself in the face (I bet my asthma would go into overdrive just breathing near it). Maybe I should bring an FX saber, I hear those as well as some of the new blue and green lasers have scared off criminals in the past decade. Hey, I know, I'll bring my pistol-shaped infrared thermometer, it has a laser sight! :D

JediTricks
06-27-2012, 02:05 PM
2 weeks until Comic-Con!

Maradona
06-28-2012, 02:16 AM
2 weeks until Comic-Con!

Can hardly wait.

Maradona
06-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Thursday schedule is up:

http://comic-con.org/cci/cci12_prog_thu.php

EDIT: Yay!

JediTricks
06-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Friday schedule is also up:
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci12_prog_fri.php

Maradona
06-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Friday schedule is also up:
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci12_prog_fri.php

I'm surprised that there is no screening of a DCAU direct to video movie, a Friday night staple of the schedule. I looked forward to seeing The Dark Knight Returns part 1. Maybe it will get added later, though I wonder if it could fit on Friday night's agenda. Maybe it will go to Thursday or maybe it just won't get added. It couldn't screen on Saturday night.

JediTricks
06-29-2012, 11:34 PM
Friday I haven't even looked at yet and I already know a frustration for me, the Firefly 10th anniversary panel is 12:30p and since it's Star Wars day, that's probably when Hasbro's panel will be, or something I need to cover. I think it sucks that they put Firefly up against SW.

Weird about no DC animated movie this time, what do they have in the pipeline?

Ok, so here's my Thursday interests, 1 dash means very important, 2 dashes means not so much, and !!! means very important but counterprogrammed against something I have to attend.

Wed: (Preview night)
- - maybe Arrow pilot, probably not tho.

Thurs:
- IDW & Hasbro (Transformers comics)
- - TheOneRing.net's visit to The Hobbit (counter-programm'd! That was fast, my very first panel.)
- - Trailer Park
- - Stan Lee's World of Heroes (probably just another not that great project, but Stan Lee! Plus Mark Hamill will be there)
- - MAD animated (why am I looking at a Kids Day logo on Thursday???)
SQUEE! Twighlight gets a 12:30 hall H panel, I can't wait! To wonder WHY THE HELL THEY DID THIS AGAIN!!!
- - DC Collectibles from DCD
- - Voltron
- Hasbro Transformers (Oh fantastic, put the OTHER transformers panel 2 hours later and on the opposite side of the convention center, great plan. Ugh, it's Archer and the new brand head, Jerry Jivoin, no other designers.)
!!! ST:TNG's convertion into HD (aaand, damnit. I really wanted to go to this one.)
- - Bill Plympton how-to (ugh, would have liked to have seen that one too, my first triple-counter)
- - Disney studios Frankenweeinie, Oz, and Wreckit Ralph (kinda wanted to know more on these as well, geez, a quadruple! At least I don't have to brave Hall H right after Twilight tho.)
!!! Psych (NOOOOOOOO!!!!! This is umpossible! A quintuple, and I never miss this panel!)
- - 1982 Greatest Geek Year Ever
- - The Two Editors (Harvey vs Archie comics, FIGHT!)
- Hotel Transylvania (I was gonna give it a 2-dash but it sounds fun enough to put into a high rank slot)
- - Time Travel fact or fiction (oh good, something to argue with)
*Picketing* - - Elementary (everything so far has looked like a great panel to picket loudly. I was gonna go in and boo them, but why wait in that big blrm20 line?)
- - Expendables 2 (or maybe I'll go do that instead)
- Archer (Awww yeah!)
- - Klasky Csupo (really? I'll put it on my backup list just because I can't even believe it's going to happen.)
- - The Bill Finger Story (kinda torn here, part of me wants to do this but... ARCHER, I can't miss that!)
- - Canon Fodder (ha, punny. I'll probably end up at this.)
- Rifftrax (and then I saw this, sorry Canon Fodder.)
- The Batmobile (a panel about the upcoming documentary? I'm all over it!)
- Spike & Mike New Generation (DAMMNIT! What the hell, counter-programmed evening panels?!? I missed this last year, so I may actually pass on Batmobile. :( )
- - Comic Con Ep IV (the documentary I reviewed earlier this year, I am curious to see if they fixed anything in a final edit.)

All in all, a mixed bag, some space but also some troubles.

Maradona
06-30-2012, 01:45 AM
Weird about no DC animated movie this time, what do they have in the pipeline?

The Dark Knight Returns parts 1 & 2. I thought there might be an official announcement for Flashpoint, which was leaked by Kevin Conroy.

Maradona
06-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Saturday. One word, one letter: Hall H

http://comic-con.org/cci/cci12_prog_sat.php

El Chuxter
06-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Three words: camp out Friday.

I gave up on Hall H entirely last year. I figured I could wait all day to see one movie preview for a movie I'll eventually see previews for anyway (and they stopped giving out awesome freebies a few years ago), or I could go and enjoy the rest of the Con.

Maradona
06-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Three words: camp out Friday.

I gave up on Hall H entirely last year. I figured I could wait all day to see one movie preview for a movie I'll eventually see previews for anyway (and they stopped giving out awesome freebies a few years ago), or I could go and enjoy the rest of the Con.

The give-aways are still in force. You are issued a ticket and can redeem the ticket for the give-away. Almost every panel in H and 20 have these. Saturday seems to be the only day worth sitting in Hall H this year. I'm happy to coordinate lining up outside for the hall early, I just don't want to sit there for hours in the early morning cold for someone who slept comfortably, ate a nice breakfast, and had a slow morning, while I got up extra early and sat in a collapsable chair eating protein bars. I find that to be inherently unfair.

El Chuxter
06-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Seriously? Last time I went to Hall H, there weren't any giveaways, and I think Watchmen was the only panel that year that had any.

JediTricks
06-30-2012, 04:05 PM
The Dark Knight Returns parts 1 & 2. I thought there might be an official announcement for Flashpoint, which was leaked by Kevin Conroy.Oh man, I forgot they were doing The Dark Knight Returns as an animated. There's another TDKR movie this year that distracted me. :p

Flashpoint as a movie? Not for me, thanks.

Saturday. One word, one letter: Hall H

http://comic-con.org/cci/cci12_prog_sat.phpUgh, that's a brutal listing, it's going to be SO difficult to get into that day, and I haven't even looked at that day's other schedule yet. This is the first year I can imagine actually camping Hall H all day.

Three words: camp out Friday.They have put up a note saying the rules about camping out have changed, it's confusing now.

Seriously? Last time I went to Hall H, there weren't any giveaways, and I think Watchmen was the only panel that year that had any.When I got my giveaways from Ballroom 20 last year (it's at the Marriott now, and very hard to find), there were several Hall H giveaways in there as well.

Maradona
06-30-2012, 04:30 PM
I've got shirts from both Iron Man films, Captain America, Green Lantern (granted that was from WonderCon), and a ton of posters for film I don't care for, along with a few that I cherish (like the Watchmen poster). I usually give my freebies away to my students as prizes for doing well on tests or projects. It's amazing the amount of goodwill engendered by a free t-shirt to an inner city kid. I've gotten more pins and bags and lanyards and books at these panels than I could ever use for myself. If you'll only be there for one day, then having it spent inside Hall H is probably not the way to experience SDCC. But if you're there for the duration, a day of decent programming in Hall H is not wasted, especially capped off by Kevin Smith, who is disturbingly funny in person.

El Chuxter
06-30-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm probably a failure as a nerd, because I didn't think Smith was especially funny or witty in person.

And I tend to laugh at just about anything.

JediTricks
06-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Just looked over Friday, seems like a lot of frontloading, and there's so many panels this year I see non-evening content is now in the evenings. Should just keep the convention open 24 hours a day at this point.

My Fri:

- SW Collectibles (2nd year in a row that the SW Day icon is gone, that sucks)

!!! Community (NO FAIR! BURN IN HELL YOU COUNTER-PROGRAMMING BASTARDS!)

- - Nickelodeon's TMNT (was looking forward to this, then I saw the trailer, now I can't imagine watching this, and I'd go specifically to say it to their faces, lucky for them I can't go)

- Hasbro SW (nice to see Derryl there, but I am going to have a hard time holding my tongue even to him)

!!! Venture Bros (UNF**ING REAL! BURN IN HELL AGAIN! I HATE YOU WITH THE PASSION OF A THOUSAND SUNS SCHEDULING DEMONS!!!)

- - Siegel and Shuster and Finger (great, another comic panel I can't go to as well, it's like a conspiracy.)

- - Cult pilot (Rockne OBannon? Aw man, Farscape was da bomb so this would have been worth a look.)

- - SW Books (I dunno, maybe)

- - Larry Hama Spotlight (won't be the same without Chux)

- Adult Swim NTSF:SD:SUV:: (I love this show, but it's probably not gonna happen)

X - Mattel (I'm not interested as they've driven me out through high pricing and troubled distribution, but it sucks to be Steve because he'll want to cover this, but also cover Hasbro's panel which ends when this begins and is on the other side of the convention center, also Hasbro at this time will have the showroom update.)

!!! Big Bang Theory (rats, pretty much impossible since it's a Hall H line, would require a miracle to see. I think Steve also wanted to see this one, maybe I'll shoot for the replay that night)

!!! Firefly 10th Anniversary (Did I not call this?!? I'll have 30 minutes to get there, but activity downstairs in the showroom plus multiple panels, and there's no way 30 mins will be enough to get me in that line anyway.)

- Children's Hospital

- ILM Art (damn, another counter-programmed one)

- - Aqua Teen (sharing with Squidbillies kills my need to see this, but so does being on the other side of the con when it starts)

- - SW Origami (eh, could be interesting as a backup panel)

- Tron Uprising (sucks to be SW Origami because I'll be at this instead)

- Robot Chicken DC comics special (dang, this I don't think I can make happen just by being at the Hilton during the end of Tron Uprising, I could see trying to make 'em both if they were closer)

- - Arrow pilot screening Q&A (probably not, but I am curious)

- - LEGO Fan community (same)

- - Mattel & DC (kind of interesting, but the poor quality of the TDKR line gives me only tepid interest)

- - SW Publishing (... a little annoying how many "sorta" things are in this timeslot)

- - Wreck it Ralph

- - the new Peanuts comic (want to see how they handle this. There are 12 panels at 3pm this day, and I have interest in 7 of those :( )

- - Black Dynamite (was a first-level interest until I saw Bob's Burgers on this list)

- Bob's Burgers (ugh, very little chance of me making this, and I missed it last year by a dozen people in that line)

- - 50th Anniversary of Marvel Superheroes (again, would have been top-tier but how complex my schedule is has sapped the fight from me on these things)

- - Sony Pictures Total Recall, Looper, and Elysium (all sound interesting but also bad)

- - Brickleberry (I want to see Tosh's show, but I also kinda want to see it crash and burn)

- Optimus Prime (PETER CULLEN PETER CULLEN PETER CULLEN LARRY KING LARRY KING LARRY KING! Cullen's a great panelist, saw him at Botcon, and Larry King is awesome in general)

- - And Then What Happened (serialized shows that ended too soon, would be a top-tier choice had it not been on the opposite side of the convention center as the Cullent/King panel was ending)

- Blade Runner 30th anniversary (oh... oh man. "I've almost seen things you people wouldn't believe. Lines ten-thousand deep on fire under the blazing San Diego sun. I watched panels fill to capacity near the B gate. All those moments will be lost, like tears in rain.")

- - Defiance (I have no idea what this is, but the description looks interesting)

- Hall H/Ballroom 20 Friday playback

- - 35 Years of Heavy Metal

- - Space Command

- Worst Cartoons Ever

- Spike & Mike The Gauntlet

JediTricks
06-30-2012, 04:49 PM
I've got shirts from both Iron Man films, Captain America, Green Lantern (granted that was from WonderCon), and a ton of posters for film I don't care for, along with a few that I cherish (like the Watchmen poster). I usually give my freebies away to my students as prizes for doing well on tests or projects. It's amazing the amount of goodwill engendered by a free t-shirt to an inner city kid. I've gotten more pins and bags and lanyards and books at these panels than I could ever use for myself. If you'll only be there for one day, then having it spent inside Hall H is probably not the way to experience SDCC. But if you're there for the duration, a day of decent programming in Hall H is not wasted, especially capped off by Kevin Smith, who is disturbingly funny in person.Nice hauls!

I'm probably a failure as a nerd, because I didn't think Smith was especially funny or witty in person.

And I tend to laugh at just about anything.Weird, I can understand not liking his movies, but his panels are generally funny and witty. His youtube video about him being asked to do a movie for Prince was awesome.

El Chuxter
06-30-2012, 05:01 PM
- - Larry Hama Spotlight
You've got to be kidding me. The first year I'm not going, and they do this?
:frus:

JediTricks
06-30-2012, 11:50 PM
You've got to be kidding me. The first year I'm not going, and they do this?
:frus:Sorry dude. I knew you'd be upset. Hopefully it'll be on youtube or something.

Maradona
07-01-2012, 12:09 AM
His youtube video about him being asked to do a movie for Prince was awesome.

"Chaka mad!" "He didn't play 'Batdance' once!" Classic.

JediTricks
07-01-2012, 12:31 AM
"Chaka mad!" "He didn't play 'Batdance' once!" Classic.That's the one, but I had to remove the link because of the language thing.

Maradona
07-01-2012, 12:46 AM
That's the one, but I had to remove the link because of the language thing.

My apology, it skipped my mind.

JediTricks
07-02-2012, 12:05 AM
I made it through the list, here's my Sat and Sun schedules:

Sat:

- Activision Fall of Cybertron panel

!!! Warehouse 13 (drat, I wanted to see this)

- - Creating Animated TV (good panelists)

- - Quick Draw (is it possible, can I really be able to finally see this panel after years of it being counter-programmed?)

- Futurama (No, I can't, sorry Quick Draw)

- - Nerdist Channel

*Picket* - DC Before Watchmen (wow, another panel for the over-ripe tomatoes, neat)

- - Simpsons, The

- - - Bryan Fuller (a rare super-low-interest, but Wonderfalls was good, and watching him explain Mockingbird Lane as not terrible could be good)

- - Sid & Marty Krofft

- - Spotlight Stan Goldberg

- TF Guide Fan Favorites (Nathan Fillion, Joel McHale, AND Matt Smith?!?)

- - Family Guy

- Alphas (yes, finally 2 back-to-back panels in the same room that I can actually maybe make)

- - JMS Spotlight

!!! Clone Wars (no, damnit! This is not fair! I think I'm going to have to rate this "counter-programmed, miss" because it's on the other side of the convention)

- - American Dad

- - Spotlight Ben Edlund

- Warner Bros / Legendary (I'm on the edge of confirming this a miss too)

- - - Indiana Jones Fan Group

- - - Roddenberry Presents (never made one, always on my calendar)

- EPIX Originals Shatner and Roger Corman (both have new movies, but c'mon, it's Shatner and Corman!)

- - Photoshop insights

- Iron Man 3

- AFI's Behind the Plastic (Action figure-oriented, including Disney, so may have SW news, and just seems interesting)

- Kevin Smith (hmm, this is looking rough)

- Mythbusters (see?)

- - Arkham Forensic Psychiatry

- Hall H panel playback

- - SW Trivia panel

- - Masquerade

Sun:

- - Cartoon Voices 2

- - Voices of SW TOR (kind of a limited type of panel, but Sunday offers little so maybe, gets a different room than usual SW)

- Doctor Who (well, sucks to be those 2 panels because this is where I'll be)

- DC Nation (drat, I can't call this one a miss because my primary panel for this slot is a Hall H one that may be impossible to get into, but it looks like I'm missing this panel)

- - Cleveland Show

- - 501st Costuming

- - Spongebob stop-motion special

- - Comic-Con Talkback

- Starship Smackdown (yeaaah boy!)

figrin bran
07-03-2012, 12:59 AM
Argh!! Why did I look at the programming for the days I'm not going? Larry Hama, Firefly cast, Peter Cullen???? arghhhh!!!!

Maradona
07-03-2012, 11:00 AM
So close...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-05-2012, 11:57 PM
So, uh . . . does anyone want to pick up the carbonite set for me? :D

Maradona
07-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Argh!! Why did I look at the programming for the days I'm not going? Larry Hama, Firefly cast, Peter Cullen???? arghhhh!!!!

I feel a bit ambivalent about there not being on-site pre-registration at this year's SDCC. I'm glad that I won't have to spend time in for it, but have heard so many horror stories about registering online. Also a plus, though, is that if this year goes badly, I won't have already bought next year's pass. Either way, we get to purchase three passes apart from our own, so if I can get through, I'll be happy to help you get a pass for next year, FB.

figrin bran
07-06-2012, 11:55 AM
I feel a bit ambivalent about there not being on-site pre-registration at this year's SDCC. I'm glad that I won't have to spend time in for it, but have heard so many horror stories about registering online. Also a plus, though, is that if this year goes badly, I won't have already bought next year's pass. Either way, we get to purchase three passes apart from our own, so if I can get through, I'll be happy to help you get a pass for next year, FB.
Thanks!

So now there's another exclusive I'll be wanting - DC Collectibles' 3.75" Kyle Rayner and Kilowog.

Maradona
07-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Thanks!

So now there's another exclusive I'll be wanting - DC Collectibles' 3.75" Kyle Rayner and Kilowog.

Glad to. Yes, indeed, they look good. Hopefully, DC made enough. There was no mention that I saw of limited production.

Maradona
07-09-2012, 12:18 PM
The anticipation builds...

If I remember correctly, the following SSG-ers are going:

Jedi Tricks
Figrin Bran
Dark Agent
Biker Scout (maybe)
Myself

Please let me know if my numbers are off, since I'm going to be stopping at the Carlsbad Danish Bakery on the way down on Wednesday and will pick us up some pastry to help the preview night line go by a bit more palatably.

JediTricks
07-09-2012, 12:25 PM
The anticipation builds...

If I remember correctly, the following SSG-ers are going:

Jedi Tricks
Figrin Bran
Dark Agent
Biker Scout (maybe)
Myself

Please let me know if my numbers are off, since I'm going to be stopping at the Carlsbad Danish Bakery on the way down on Wednesday and will pick us up some pastry to help the preview night line go by a bit more palatably.You forgot Steve and Tycho, and Chux is going to be in town. But otherwise, is that it? Man, I thought there'd be more, but after hearing how bad SDCC's registration was, I can't say I'm surprised.

Sounds like a good plan on those danish, if all my worldly possessions weren't in my car alone, I'd probably do the same, but I'm paranoid (someone steals my car and I'll only own 1 pair of pants. :p)

Don't forget, we're trying to figure out if there's any interest in an SSG meal during the show.

Maradona
07-09-2012, 01:29 PM
You forgot Steve and Tycho, and Chux is going to be in town. But otherwise, is that it? Man, I thought there'd be more, but after hearing how bad SDCC's registration was, I can't say I'm surprised.

Sounds like a good plan on those danish, if all my worldly possessions weren't in my car alone, I'd probably do the same, but I'm paranoid (someone steals my car and I'll only own 1 pair of pants. :p)

Don't forget, we're trying to figure out if there's any interest in an SSG meal during the show.

Duly noted and added. I'll pick up 10 total just in case. I wouldn't bank on them lasting beyond Wednesday, given the heat and the lack of any preservatives used by this bakery (thankfully all natural). Will everyone be there on Wednesday?

JediTricks
07-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Right on! Chux can't make it, so we may have to do multiple meetups.

figrin bran
08-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Pre registration for 2013 was this past Saturday and miracles of miracles, I'm guaranteed at least 3 days at the con next year deIn spite being #18,000 something in the online queue. In the event I'm not able to get anything from the general online sales, at least I'll be there for Thurs, Fri and Sun.

Maradona
08-07-2012, 01:58 AM
Pre registration for 2013 was this past Saturday and miracles of miracles, I'm guaranteed at least 3 days at the con next year deIn spite being #18,000 something in the online queue. In the event I'm not able to get anything from the general online sales, at least I'll be there for Thurs, Fri and Sun.

And thanks to Mr. Bran, I got a Thursday pass. I've thought long and hard about Comic Con this weekend and what it will be like not being there for the bulk of the show. Next year will be my 20th straight SDCC. It has traditionally been the highlight of my year, what I look forward to incessantly, what I remember most fondly. Yet after the last few years, that pristine image has substantially lost much of its luster. I wonder if not being able to secure a full pass for the first time might not be a blessing in disguise.

This year's experience was better for me than last year's. This was not because I was able to acquire all the figures I set out to (save for Scarah Screams) and not because I got into most of the panels I sought to, but because I was able to connect with so many of my online friends to whom I normally just exist as key strokes on a glowing background. This was the first year in four that I was not accompanied by my former lady friend. I don't regret going with her so many times, but I realized how much of what I missed was because I was being accommodating to her: slow mornings, hunger attacks, anxiety with being in the same place attacks, allergy attacks, why-we-keep-staring-at-toys attacks. She wasn't a nagger or uncomfortable to be around in large part, I think, because she didn't have to be. I would quickly sense when she was starting to tense up a bit and drop much of what I was doing to alleviate it. I've no animosity towards her and I valued her company and patience, but I think a large part of what made this year more manageable was that I didn't have to consult her or account for her. As such, on Thursday morning, I was able to make a mad dash for the HTS line and FB and I were in and out of the line before 10AM, if memory serves. As such, I was able to meet up with several SSG-ers (JT, FB, Darkagent, Commtech, Bikerscout, Chux, and I finally got to see who Sir Steve was). As such, I floated around the show or went out to the Gaslamp District whenever I wanted. As such, awesome danish was enjoyed by everyone who wanted one.

Ultimately, if I only go for one day next year or if I can miraculously get a full pass when the non-attendee sales eventually happen or if somehow being a teacher who promotes comics and action figures in his classroom suddenly qualifies for professional status or if I end up not going at all, SDCC is no longer the string that ties my identity together. For years, SDCC was the "coolest" thing I did (whether I consciously acknowledged it as such or not), it was my geek credential, my championship game. But for the past several years, the most fun I have all year, the "coolest" thing I do, is going to work each day and just being a teacher.

Now if only Hasbro would make exclusives for that...

Tycho
08-07-2012, 02:47 PM
I live in San Diego and may not be able to go at all next year.

I will see how I do when the 2012 non-attendee registration opens up (in January, I hear, but I'll watch the 2013 SDCC news).

I'm at the point where my interest is waning actually, and I have a lot of other things I want to do with my time.

Going for at least 1 day would definitely be enjoyable, however. I too like to visit with some people I regularly see there and enjoy some panels.

I don't stay in line to buy exclusives or hunt things down in the dealer room however.

JediTricks
08-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Pre registration for 2013 was this past Saturday and miracles of miracles, I'm guaranteed at least 3 days at the con next year deIn spite being #18,000 something in the online queue. In the event I'm not able to get anything from the general online sales, at least I'll be there for Thurs, Fri and Sun.Glad to hear you got something, that's almost shocking considering how things have been lately. I had no idea that they were doing an 11 month in advance pre-reg but NOT doing it at the show, that makes no sense.

Ugh, sorry to hear you don't have a Saturday badge yet, but you're on your way to going the whole show, man! :D

And thanks to Mr. Bran, I got a Thursday pass. I've thought long and hard about Comic Con this weekend and what it will be like not being there for the bulk of the show. Next year will be my 20th straight SDCC. It has traditionally been the highlight of my year, what I look forward to incessantly, what I remember most fondly. Yet after the last few years, that pristine image has substantially lost much of its luster. I wonder if not being able to secure a full pass for the first time might not be a blessing in disguise.

This year's experience was better for me than last year's. This was not because I was able to acquire all the figures I set out to (save for Scarah Screams) and not because I got into most of the panels I sought to, but because I was able to connect with so many of my online friends to whom I normally just exist as key strokes on a glowing background. This was the first year in four that I was not accompanied by my former lady friend. I don't regret going with her so many times, but I realized how much of what I missed was because I was being accommodating to her: slow mornings, hunger attacks, anxiety with being in the same place attacks, allergy attacks, why-we-keep-staring-at-toys attacks. She wasn't a nagger or uncomfortable to be around in large part, I think, because she didn't have to be. I would quickly sense when she was starting to tense up a bit and drop much of what I was doing to alleviate it. I've no animosity towards her and I valued her company and patience, but I think a large part of what made this year more manageable was that I didn't have to consult her or account for her. As such, on Thursday morning, I was able to make a mad dash for the HTS line and FB and I were in and out of the line before 10AM, if memory serves. As such, I was able to meet up with several SSG-ers (JT, FB, Darkagent, Commtech, Bikerscout, Chux, and I finally got to see who Sir Steve was). As such, I floated around the show or went out to the Gaslamp District whenever I wanted. As such, awesome danish was enjoyed by everyone who wanted one.

Ultimately, if I only go for one day next year or if I can miraculously get a full pass when the non-attendee sales eventually happen or if somehow being a teacher who promotes comics and action figures in his classroom suddenly qualifies for professional status or if I end up not going at all, SDCC is no longer the string that ties my identity together. For years, SDCC was the "coolest" thing I did (whether I consciously acknowledged it as such or not), it was my geek credential, my championship game. But for the past several years, the most fun I have all year, the "coolest" thing I do, is going to work each day and just being a teacher.

Now if only Hasbro would make exclusives for that...Glad to hear you got at least 1 pass. It was good meeting up with you and Darkagent, even if your food was undercooked and that woman was whining about not being fed. :p Danish was awesome awesome yo!

I hear ya about not having to drag someone along, I've seen a LOT of that, friends and girlfriends alike, who think they can handle the utter geek-outness required for YOUR interests but aren't capable of being patient with so much going on. It's good to have the option to share with a friend, but it's just as good (if not moreso) to be able to do your con stuff unencumbered when you want to. I still can't believe you beat me into that line tho. :rage: ;)

Hasbro does make exclusives for doing your everyday thing, it's called the mainline, and just like the rest of the exclusives out there they're increasingly overpriced and impossible to get. :D

I live in San Diego and may not be able to go at all next year.

I will see how I do when the 2012 non-attendee registration opens up (in January, I hear, but I'll watch the 2013 SDCC news).The site's news is worthless now, they are never timely there, watch their Facebook and Twitter accounts for updates, set up live alerts for news on those sources on your cellphone (look it up), it's annoying and frustrating but it's the only way to get vital time-sensitive SDCC news without missing out.

Maradona
01-23-2013, 11:31 PM
I just re-read several of the posts on this thread to alleviate the fact that I did not purchase a room for SDCC today, the first day that the hotels went on sale. It feels alien not to have done so.

JediTricks
01-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Those early bird hotels are all in Mission Valley, they're not doing any Downtown or Gaslamp hotels early for some reason, which means boarding the very crowded shuttle bus to get back and they're somewhat expensive for what they are, so I passed. I found a cheaply-priced hotel in La Mesa I can afford (under half of what those early bird rooms that went up yesterday were going for) that's part of a large chain, hopefully that means they won't screw me over with my reservation unlike the small-fry that got me last year - I'll be calling to confirm my reservation - but I'm also looking into splitting a vacation rental property instead, the prices are too high alone, but split with a couple folks it might work out and it's more secure that way.

Maradona
01-24-2013, 08:21 PM
I think a split room is an advantageous proposition. Essentially, the room is just to sleep and store loot. Were I able to go for all four days, I would gladly share accommodations and divide the costs therein.

JediTricks
01-24-2013, 08:24 PM
I think a split room is an advantageous proposition. Essentially, the room is just to sleep and store loot. Were I able to go for all four days, I would gladly share accommodations and divide the costs therein.The problem so far has been finding people who DEFINITELY will be going thanks to Comic-Con's horrendous new ticket system. Unlike a hotel, vacation properties are privately-held and require a lot of commitment up front. I'll keep that in mind though.

Maradona
02-26-2013, 01:13 PM
I've just put in the request for hotels and I await to see what comes of it. I think parking should be the next update within the next few weeks.

figrin bran
02-26-2013, 10:54 PM
I finished the hotel lottery process in just 2 minutes. Infinitely, infinitely easier than registration!

Maradona
02-27-2013, 02:10 PM
MUCH easier indeed. If anyone of the LA locals wants to divide the cost of a room, let me know. I plan to be there from Wed to Sun.

JediTricks
02-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Glad to hear at least SOMETHING went right for you guys. How much are the hotels in this system? I hated the pricing on the pre-sell ones so I didn't even try on these, just got something about 8 miles east since I've got to think of Steve in this situation.

Maradona
02-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Not suprisingly, every hotel is sold out. Are there any rooms left at your hotel, JT? We could try for an SSG block of rooms.

figrin bran
02-28-2013, 02:15 PM
I got my same hotel again!

SirSteve
02-28-2013, 02:30 PM
We should get a group and go in on a time share that would be cheaper than a hotel and more private!

Maradona
02-28-2013, 04:03 PM
How much would it cost us, SirSteve?

JediTricks
03-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Not suprisingly, every hotel is sold out. Are there any rooms left at your hotel, JT? We could try for an SSG block of rooms.The hotel I'm doing is 8 miles southeast and their price has more than doubled since I made those reservations a month ago, it's not really worth it unless you love the trolley and spending too much for what I'm sure will be a middling room. :p At $65 it was worth it to me, at $150 and up it's likely not going to be when for $50 more a night you can be within a mile at a bed & breakfast.

As for the time shares, we were getting quotes of $1100 for 1 or 2 bedrooms last month (1 or 2 bedrooms are listed usually as sleeping between 4 and 10) within 5-10 miles of the convention center, and walking distance was I think around double that. If we had serious interest, we could start that legwork back up - I am sure I can get the links Steve and I were passing around to start with - but it requires an up-front commitment which is part of the difficulty.

Maradona
03-02-2013, 10:12 PM
The hotel I'm doing is 8 miles southeast and their price has more than doubled since I made those reservations a month ago, it's not really worth it unless you love the trolley and spending too much for what I'm sure will be a middling room. :p At $65 it was worth it to me, at $150 and up it's likely not going to be when for $50 more a night you can be within a mile at a bed & breakfast.

As for the time shares, we were getting quotes of $1100 for 1 or 2 bedrooms last month (1 or 2 bedrooms are listed usually as sleeping between 4 and 10) within 5-10 miles of the convention center, and walking distance was I think around double that. If we had serious interest, we could start that legwork back up - I am sure I can get the links Steve and I were passing around to start with - but it requires an up-front commitment which is part of the difficulty.

Thanks for the update. $1100 divided 3 ways (Steve, you, and I) is not bad at all, even better if we can another person. Is this for Wednesday through Sunday occupancy? We just need a place to store loot, sleep, and shower.

JediTricks
03-02-2013, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the update. $1100 divided 3 ways (Steve, you, and I) is not bad at all, even better if we can another person. Is this for Wednesday through Sunday occupancy? We just need a place to store loot, sleep, and shower.At least. Some are a full week requirement, but that wouldn't be a problem for me, I can work from anywhere so long as I have my phone and laptop.

Well, if you're serious I guess we should start looking into that again.

Maradona
03-03-2013, 12:40 AM
I am. Are there any other interested parties? FB?

Maradona
05-13-2013, 05:08 PM
So parking went on sale without any announcement that I saw and the convention center and nearby hotel are already sold out.

JediTricks
05-26-2013, 12:16 AM
Parking was only announced on Twitter and Facebook, and the official SDCC Twitter and Facebook were 40 minutes behind the time on that when it finally did go live. I had posted notices in advance about the SDCC parking somewhere and texted, but I guess I forgot to post here, sorry about that. It was back on April 19th. You're gonna hate me, I got convention center parking this year again. The servers overloaded for almost an hour starting at 9am, so it took a ton of patience to get those convention center parking passes, and they and the Hilton were sold out within 2 and a half hours this year. Last year, the Hilton didn't sell out for days. And this year came with higher fees despite no added server quality and a very half-assed computer system reliant on calling a Google Map that itself then pulls a layer from their sales system, it was a wreck.

I just learned last night that my condo is doing our tented termite fumigation the 3 days preceding SDCC, ending preview night day 5 hours after I'll have left town, so I won't be able to sleep in my own bed for a solid week, and when I do get home I won't have my key, I won't have any food or drinks, won't even have my potted plant. It's going to be super challenging to do it this way, my sister is probably going to be able to put me up at least.

Maradona
05-26-2013, 12:58 AM
I finally got hotel accommodations at a hotel with shuttle service to the con and a trolley stop at the corner. That will have to do. I think it will be imperative to get parking on preview night and Thursday, in hopes of being able to pick up whatever exclusives I'm lucky enough to get. Figrin and I got lucky last year and will hopefully be able to do so again. Since I won't be parking the danish gravy train at the con, my backpack will get very good usage.

Perhaps we should do a pre-SDCC meet to plan a collective strategy for this year to make sure all of us can acquire as many of the exclusives as we are searching for and get into the panels we'd like to.

JediTricks
05-26-2013, 04:15 PM
I finally got hotel accommodations at a hotel with shuttle service to the con and a trolley stop at the corner. That will have to do. I think it will be imperative to get parking on preview night and Thursday, in hopes of being able to pick up whatever exclusives I'm lucky enough to get. Figrin and I got lucky last year and will hopefully be able to do so again. Since I won't be parking the danish gravy train at the con, my backpack will get very good usage.

Perhaps we should do a pre-SDCC meet to plan a collective strategy for this year to make sure all of us can acquire as many of the exclusives as we are searching for and get into the panels we'd like to.Glad to hear you got a hotel and one that has shuttle service and a trolley stop. None of the vacation rental places have gone down yet, so that's looking like a miss.

I like the idea of a strategy meeting, it'll have to be fairly close to SDCC just because of how late most intel seems to come out of there, but maybe the week before if Bikerscout wants to come, or the weekend before if not.

Maradona
05-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Glad to hear you got a hotel and one that has shuttle service and a trolley stop. None of the vacation rental places have gone down yet, so that's looking like a miss.

I like the idea of a strategy meeting, it'll have to be fairly close to SDCC just because of how late most intel seems to come out of there, but maybe the week before if Bikerscout wants to come, or the weekend before if not.

After June 15, my schedule is super flexible until the end of July, so I should be able to make any meeting.

figrin bran
06-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Amazingly, the refunded passes will be allocated via random drawings.

I still may not get a Sat. pass through this but at least losing a random drawing is a lot better than suffering through EPIC's virtual queues.

Maradona
06-11-2013, 07:42 PM
EPIC's system is just ridiculous.

figrin bran
06-13-2013, 11:53 AM
So I received an email stating I had been given eligibility to participate in the on sale. Which means dealing with Epic's queues....

JediTricks
06-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Amazingly, the refunded passes will be allocated via random drawings.

I still may not get a Sat. pass through this but at least losing a random drawing is a lot better than suffering through EPIC's virtual queues.

So I received an email stating I had been given eligibility to participate in the on sale. Which means dealing with Epic's queues....You... won the right to deal with their broken system's BS again? Oh man, I really hope you just walk in on Sunday and go to their talkback panel, that's astonishingly unacceptable.

Also I hope you get a ticket, best of luck.

El Chuxter
06-13-2013, 09:08 PM
I apparently did not win this right, as I received no such e-mail.

figrin bran
06-13-2013, 11:19 PM
Chux, I believe that some who were not selected received an email about that.

JT, this year I'll be staying until Sunday and I just may hit that Talkback panel. This latest move by them was like 1 step forward, 5 steps back. And it excluded people from other countries. It's okay for them to do pre reg and general reg but not this???

Tycho
06-14-2013, 12:59 AM
I got the e-mail saying I could buy tickets.

I don't think it was to put me in another virtual wait room like last time.

It was to just buy the tickets.

I think.

However, I don't know if I'll even do that. I have a lot of expenses for my novel publishing project. It very much IS starting a business.

JediTricks
06-15-2013, 12:06 AM
I apparently did not win this right, as I received no such e-mail.Sorry to hear that, that's a real shame.

Chux, I believe that some who were not selected received an email about that.

JT, this year I'll be staying until Sunday and I just may hit that Talkback panel. This latest move by them was like 1 step forward, 5 steps back. And it excluded people from other countries. It's okay for them to do pre reg and general reg but not this???There are 2 talkback panels, I think, one at the very beginning and another at the end. Even if you don't get a sunday badge, they'll likely let folks into the hall for the last hour of the con - they did in the past.

I guess the idea is the payments for badges from overseas buyers may not clear the bank in time for the show, overseas card transactions are very tricky and can be expensive.

Tycho
06-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Won't it be a little hypocritical (to the organizers) to see a room full of paid-badge attendees saying that "they hate Comic Con?" ;)

JediTricks
06-15-2013, 01:32 PM
No, what they'd be saying is they hate how Comic Con is being run. :rolleyes: Comic Con International is a non-profit organization with a paid board to run it, and these clowns can't even get job one correct.

Tycho
06-18-2013, 01:21 PM
I just successfully bought Thu-Fri-Sat badges.

That's perfect.

Although I enjoy the free space at Sneak Preview Night, in almost 2 decades of going to Comic Con, I barely ever remember standing in line for exclusives.

Unless I need it for my dioramas... (the 7" Fett with Han in Carbonite does not interest me - I have these characters in 12" - much better if you ask me). I remember going to 4 e-tailers booths for Star Trek figure exclusives (Trouble w. Tribbles figures I think - TOS or DS9) and Mirror Mirror figures plus some exclusive Capt. Kirk.

Do I won any SW Comic Con exclusives? Hmmm. I can't recall. Not sure if I ever wanted any they offered.

That's excepting SideShow, but Aayla Secura was pre-ordered, so I didn't have to wait in line to pick her up. I think Figrin Bran was with me when we made a pit stop that took less than 2 minutes.

I don't think Transformers ever had Comic Con exclusives. I've never been to BotCon, so not sure I missed anything. Besides, I want very specific Transformers (like LC Cyclonus) which do not exist yet.

Meanwhile, I don't usually attend Comic Con on Sunday. I'm not a shopper, bargain hunting there. Only time I really went shopping at Comic Con was for my Hot Toys Terminator figures and I managed to broker good deals on them based on the quantity I wanted since I had not previously collected those when they were first offered.

Finally, Sunday's only panel I know I've enjoyed in the past is the Sons Of Anarchy one. It's at the very end of the day on Sunday in Hall H. I might get into that without a badge for Sunday. It's not going to break my heart if I don't but I'll enjoy it if I can.

Now, I still don't know that I'll get in to the panels I want on Th-Fri-Sat.

Walking Dead will be tough.

Breaking Bad might not even happen because the show's ending.

Falling Skies - could be possible.

Wilfred is possible. You get in if you bring dog biscuits anyway (but pornography and marijuana are actually preferred substitutes).

Maybe CW's Arrow will have a panel? (Green Arrow)

What if Hugh Jackman (Wolverine) is there?

In any case, I can make Star Wars Day events on Friday, and possibly meet up with other SSGrs.

I can look at the Hasbro / SideShow / Diamond stuff and I'll have lots of free time if I can't get into panels.

I have no plans to buy anything.

figrin bran
06-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Struck out (what else is new) in my bid to get a Saturday pass. I was in batch 41 and it looks like they sold out somewhere in the 30's.

Tycho
06-18-2013, 01:29 PM
I'm sorry Brandon.

They went to batch 41 awfully fast.

I was in batch 1 (one) at exactly 10am. I don't know how I did that (if others were trying at 10am that didn't get in batch 1 though).

I wonder if I was the first person to purchase a badge today? (doubt it - but I had to be close).