PDA

View Full Version : Medicom RAH Boba Fett - how can Sideshow do better than this?

JediTricks
07-31-2010, 02:21 PM
One of the reasons I chose to be a Sideshow collector and not a Medicom "Real Action Heroes" collector was scale, but another was cost.

As I understand it, each RAH line figure is built on their 1:6 body, so Vader and a Stormtrooper are going to roughly be the same size, and Medicom's body is smaller than a traditional 1:6 figure by around a centimeter. So that always held me off, even though their armored sculpts seem generally excellent.

The other reason though is cost-based, Medicom's RAH line is a Japanese import and generally runs around $150 per figure. When I started with Sideshow, that was 3 times as much money as their own Star Wars 1:6 figures.

However, now we have Medicom's RAH Boba Fett from ROTJ (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=901089&affiliate=CD1384) coming down the pike (Sideshow imports and distributes them in the US), and it looks amazing. And Sideshow is offering it for $150, which is of course a lot of coin.

But Sideshow's pricing has skyrocketed in the last year and a half. Sideshow's Stormtrooper came out, and it's $90. Sideshow's Vader is $125. And their Sandtroopers are $110. And while they're quite good pieces, there are definite areas where Medicom's work outdoes them.

Boba Fett is a complex sculpt, has as much armor as a Vader or Stormtrooper, and as much gear as, if not more than, a Sandtrooper. With Sideshow's pricing so close to Medicom's at this point, and some areas where Medicom outdoes Sideshow in execution, and Sideshow having no Boba Fett slated this year, what's the point of waiting for Sideshow's Boba Fett? Scale seems to be the only advantage, as cost won't be significantly lower on the Sideshow version, and there's a good chance it won't have as good an overall look as the RAH, and it won't be in our hands until who knows when.

So what is a good argument for WAITING for the inevitable Sideshow Boba Fett? What can counter a quality deco and sculpt? What can address the likelihood of the Sideshow piece being roughly the same price? What arguments can we offer on Sideshow's behalf to convince the collecting community to eschew the Medicom Boba Fett that will be in hands soon in favor of their version which is an unknown further down the calendar? I cannot think of anything beyond scale.

jonthejedi
08-08-2010, 05:42 AM
All very true points, JT. I bought their Ep 3 Vader, and it stands the same height as everyone else. At the time...a Sideshow Vader seemed a long way off.

sergiurusu
08-09-2010, 10:14 AM
I have the Medicom RAH Darth Vader ROTJ, Vader ROTS, Sandtrooper, Stormie, BHS, Royal Guard and TIE Fighter Pilot and they are all great. Personally I like the RAH Vader and Stormie better than Sideshow's versions. SS has floppy trooper bodies, the armor looks like on rag dolls and Vader is way too tall and I had a bad experience with mine and some parts of it (SS asked me to destroy my SS Vader and sent me replacement).

jedibear
09-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Well, as for the waiting for Sideshow to produce a 1:6 scale Boba Fett instead of jumping on this "new" Medi RAH one...for me it doesn't come down so much to price at this point so much as the ebb and low of releases.

As JT points out, the price point between the two companies has shrunken significantly over the last few years.

The cost on every type of collectible has increased lately, from these "higher-end" figures to the basic "action figures"...it's all much more than even a few years ago...and those increases are making this collector take a pause in how much and what I want (and yes, can) afford to collect.

I've had to pass on a lot of Sideshow lately because of cost...I've also dropped the majority of what I'll collect from Hasbro these days...the thrill of the hunt left me long ago (WAY too much like work anymore) and the only basic figure collection I'm barely interested in is the "vintage" collection and empty pegs at my area WM along with a $9.99 price tag at TRU have soured any desire to grab too many of these...

I've seen the RAH Boba Fett from a few years back...it looked like a good, solid figure as I'm sure this new one is...but I'm willing to wait it out for Sideshow to produce their version...yes, it may be a few years, but if Fett turns out to be another collaborative effort between Sideshow and Hot Toys like their current crop of Clone Troopers, well...I think the wait will result in one fine version of this bounty hunter...in the meantime, I'll keep enjoying the latest Troopers and look forward to the forthcoming scum and villainy releases from Sideshow...

Sorry 'bout the ramble in your thread there, JT...just got me going that's all.
If you do go for the RAH Fett...be sure and give us a good rundown of him...

Darth Metalmute
09-05-2010, 10:05 PM
The price was the reason I went with SS over RAH. But that is no longer a reason since they are roughly the same. I will probably stick with SS as I have a collection started with them.

Jayspawn
09-10-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm holding out for Sideshow's Boba as well. They're getting better at making figures and I'm betting the'll nail it when the time comes.