PDA

View Full Version : Deleted scenes from ANH

AmanaMatt
08-01-2010, 08:47 PM
I had never seen these in action; just stills. Figured I would post this - for those that had never seen it before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCyPTM2FJgA&feature=player_embedded

quality is generally awful. Sorry if posted before

JimJamBonds
08-01-2010, 09:02 PM
That's a nice crustache that we missed out on with Lucas giving this the axe.

AmanaMatt
08-01-2010, 09:27 PM
I always hope that it gets included in a deleted scenes section on some future set

autumnsdescent
08-01-2010, 11:10 PM
I had never seen these in action; just stills. Figured I would post this - for those that had never seen it before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCyPTM2FJgA&feature=player_embedded

quality is generally awful. Sorry if posted before

I think the audio for the video is from the Star Wars radio drama (during which Mark Hamil reprises his role of Luke).

jonthejedi
08-02-2010, 05:09 AM
It is from the NPR radio drama. Footage is from the old CD-ROM set.

AmanaMatt
08-02-2010, 11:13 AM
so, this footage was included on an official release at one time...thanks guys.......didnt know they pulled the audio off the radio show -

JediTricks
08-02-2010, 05:08 PM
It wasn't a movie release though, it was on the CD-ROM "Star Wars Behind The Magic" from '98, which also includes an earlier cut of the pre-Los Angeles-reshot cantina. Unfortunately, the material hasn't been made available in a more modern format.

The whole Anchorhead scene was dropped in at the suggestion of Lucas' friends that they needed to meet the main character and set up the movie earlier to be more of a traditional cinema narrative. He got talked into throwing it together but never actually wanted it, and once he saw it in the rough cut, he pulled it out for good reason, it muddies up the works.

El Chuxter
08-02-2010, 05:15 PM
But it does have Camie in it. :love:

JediTricks
08-02-2010, 05:24 PM
But it does have Camie in it. :love:
I'm sorry, is that a plus to you? I can't see why, she's a jerk just like the rest of the gang.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Maybe it's more based on the actress than her character. :pleased: Or, another chance for "non-canon" characters (Holiday Special Boba "Friend" or ST Camera Ree-Yees), perhaps?

JediTricks
08-02-2010, 07:57 PM
It's because Lucas really wanted Luke to come from behind, being the mega-dork kid apparently, to become the ultimate hero. I think it helped immensely just by losing that Gilligan hat. But his buddies at Anchorhead are real jerks to him, even Camie, dismissive and name-calling and just rude.

El Chuxter
08-02-2010, 08:01 PM
In all seriousness, agreed. It's one thing to imply Luke is a bit of a dork. But the cut scenes have that stupid cliquishness that only actually exists in bad teen movies.

JediTricks
08-02-2010, 08:24 PM
I never liked the idea that Luke was a huge loser. Sure he whined about going into Toshi Station to pick up power converters, and he daydreamed about flying his T-16 toy, but he also flew a real T-16, he knew how to drive a landspeeder like a bat out of hell, he was familiar with and unafraid of the local crazy "wizards", and he wielded that boss long rifle while knowing how to spot Tuskens. Hell, the kid even mouthed off to his uncle and tried not to take any guff from Evazan and Ponda Baba while getting his drink on! And this is supposed to be the kid his best friends called "wormie"? Not buying it. That stuff needed to go so badly, Luke being just an everyday farmboy worked so much better, it gave some level of believability to him when he was doing some of the more extreme stuff like mouthing off to Han about overcharging and having an ugly ship, or firing cannons at incoming Imperial TIE Fighters, or flying an Incom T-65 X-wing.

Now who's the dork?!? (Me, for knowing the X-wing is an "Incom T-65" right off the top of my head :p)

Mad Slanted Powers
08-02-2010, 09:11 PM
I never liked the idea that Luke was a huge loser. Sure he whined about going into Toshi Station to pick up power converters, and he daydreamed about flying his T-16 toy, but he also flew a real T-16, he knew how to drive a landspeeder like a bat out of hell, he was familiar with and unafraid of the local crazy "wizards", and he wielded that boss long rifle while knowing how to spot Tuskens. Hell, the kid even mouthed off to his uncle and tried not to take any guff from Evazan and Ponda Baba while getting his drink on! And this is supposed to be the kid his best friends called "wormie"? Not buying it. That stuff needed to go so badly, Luke being just an everyday farmboy worked so much better, it gave some level of believability to him when he was doing some of the more extreme stuff like mouthing off to Han about overcharging and having an ugly ship, or firing cannons at incoming Imperial TIE Fighters, or flying an Incom T-65 X-wing.

Now who's the dork?!? (Me, for knowing the X-wing is an "Incom T-65" right off the top of my head :p)It would be consistent with Anakin. He's rebuilding things all the time, and racing in pod races, some of his friends mocked him. Of course, some of that could be due to his slave status. If his other friends weren't slaves, then that would be reason to treat him differently.

In the radio drama, the others give Luke a hard time for wanting to go to the academy. Biggs tells Luke that they know they will never leave, and that is why they treat him like that.

Also, I think the only part of the audio that is from the radio drama is the first part with the treadwell droid. I just listened to it and the rest of it isn't quite the same. A lot of the lines are the same, though.

JediTricks
08-02-2010, 10:24 PM
It would be consistent with Anakin. He's rebuilding things all the time, and racing in pod races, some of his friends mocked him. Of course, some of that could be due to his slave status. If his other friends weren't slaves, then that would be reason to treat him differently.

In the radio drama, the others give Luke a hard time for wanting to go to the academy. Biggs tells Luke that they know they will never leave, and that is why they treat him like that.

Also, I think the only part of the audio that is from the radio drama is the first part with the treadwell droid. I just listened to it and the rest of it isn't quite the same. A lot of the lines are the same, though.
It would be consistent with Anakin if we were going backwards in time, since that Anakin mess didn't get written until 2 decades after Luke's adventures. Luke's story is the first story of Star Wars, it is the genesis of what the audience knows, anything else can only be a reflection of that, and moreover, that's how George Lucas originally envisioned the saga going - the prequel stories were never meant to be shown, and Anakin being similar to Luke in those ways wasn't even part of the pre-'90s Star Wars backstory.

Luke explains well I think why folks in those parts want to go to the academy, it's their only way out of a life of sucking moisture out of the air and buying stolen junk droids from Jawas every season and living an uneventful life that their parents were forced into.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Luke explains well I think why folks in those parts want to go to the academy, it's their only way out of a life of sucking moisture out of the air and buying stolen junk droids from Jawas every season and living an uneventful life that their parents were forced into.That's kind of what I was trying to say with what was on the radio drama. Luke isn't really a loser. Fixer is just content to be a big fish in a small pond, and all the others are content to follow him around. Luke and Biggs were different. Biggs made it out of there, so they give Luke a hard time for wanting to be like Biggs. They know they will never make it off that rock, so they lash out at Luke because they worry that he'll leave them behind as well.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-03-2010, 10:50 AM
I guess we'd have to ask Lucas if he had people his age back then call him names and mock him. We already know his father (i.e. Uncle Owen) wanted him to stay near home and work, and that Lucas had plans to break out and do what he wanted, plus his love of fast vehicles. Then that'd be a model of his own life even more so.