PDA

View Full Version : Any walmarts have the new figures yet?

bkusna
08-05-2010, 11:15 PM
I live in OKC and none of the walmarts have the new figures out.....:upset::upset::upset::upset:

El Chuxter
08-05-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm guessing they're sticking with the original 8/6/2010 street date, as I've not heard of any WM's with the new figures yet.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-06-2010, 12:20 AM
I was just at a Walmart a little over an hour ago. They had tags (there was no space for Vintage yet, and the other ones are $8.99 each - two full dollars above Target, if you can believe that) for the first time. Had Walmart put out their stuff earlier, I might have gotten something there. But thanks to Target and TRU, I'm already completely caught up until new(er) stuff hits.

bigbarada
08-06-2010, 12:21 AM
I'm pretty sure they're not going to be putting anything out until midnight, but even then it's not going to just magically appear on the shelves. They don't have just one employee devoted to Star Wars toys, so the freight will get worked as they get to it and it may take a few hours. I would guess it will all be up by tomorrow morning.

El Chuxter
08-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Why... why would the store known for being cheaper than its competition (if even by just two cents, as is often the case vs. Target) suddenly be more expensive, by a matter of dollars, across the board on all new Hasbro action figures?

The Space Outlaw
08-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Why... why would the store known for being cheaper than its competition (if even by just two cents, as is often the case vs. Target) suddenly be more expensive, by a matter of dollars, across the board on all new Hasbro action figures?

Because A) Not everybody has a Target nearby, while Walmart is everywhere and the first place most people go; and B) When Target runs out of the figures everybody's looking for, and TRU is the only other game in town besides Walmart, the big W is betting you'll be willing to pay $9 for their stock before you go to TRU and pay $10.

Besides, who's to say Target won't jack the prices up in a few weeks? It's not like toy prices (or any retail prices for that matter) have been consistent for the past few years. At my closest Target I feel like I pretty much have to go twice a week just to keep up with the latest price changes (up AND down).

sonofsokol
08-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Stopped by Walmart on my way to work today...they had only put out one case of the new vehicles and the snowspeeder and cloud car were already gone. All other pegs were empty except for one lonely Malakili and his B.A.D. piece had been stolen out of the package. Incidentally, when I bought a Malakili a few weeks ago at a different Walmart I only did so for the droid piece.

There is another Walmart near where I work and I may check them at lunch...

mtriv73
08-06-2010, 09:44 AM

So that in 2 weeks they can have a price "rollback" to $7.97 which will seem good in comparison to the old price, but is still way too much.

bigbarada
08-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Because A) Not everybody has a Target nearby, while Walmart is everywhere and the first place most people go;

This. I can easily drive to three Walmarts in my area within a 20 mile radius. But there is not a single Target within less than 60 miles.

In most small towns, of under 10,000 people, Walmart is the only game in town. Especially when it comes to toys. Whenever Walmarts move in, local businesses tend to shut down, giving the superstore a virtual monopoly of that town's business. Once they get their hooks into the town, they sometimes start buying up property for the sole purpose of keeping chains like Target away.

The only real competition for Walmart in my area is a small retail chain called Alco. But those stores are tiny with very little shelf space for all the different toy lines out there. Plus, their prices make TRU seem like a bargain (they were charging $8 a figure back in 2006 and have been charging $10 per figure since 2008).

El Chuxter
08-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Yes, but, since there are a lot of Targets near Wal-Marts (given that their strategy for at least a decade was to open stores as close to existing WM's as possible), why would Wal-Mart have, nationwide, pricing that is so much higher?

Keep in mind that these prices have been observed in Wal-Marts that are less than a block from Targets. It might make some sense in areas with few or no Targets and TRU's, but those that are across the street from one another? That's daft.

RENDAR LIVES
08-06-2010, 09:56 PM
None of my Walmarts have anything new. I asked and they said they are resetting for their Christmas/Holiday stuff and that by next Wendsday it should all be out.

bkusna
08-06-2010, 10:04 PM
I spoke to our walmart toy manager tonight and she said that the overnite crew will be putting it all out tomorrow nite, so make sure you check after midnite:whip:

RamaSha
08-07-2010, 12:07 AM
I took the UPC for my target bought 4-LOM to Wal-Mart and ran it under a price scanner and it came up $7.00 even.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-07-2010, 12:10 AM
I paid $7.99 at Target when I found the figures last week, so that is only $1 less.

jonthejedi
08-07-2010, 04:15 AM
I've seen Saga Legends & CW at WalMart, but no Vintage whatsoever.

bkusna
08-07-2010, 09:07 AM
I bought 20 vintage figures at TRU in july for $9.99, and then bought the same ones at target for $7.99....and returned them all back to TRU for a refund....saved 40 bucks :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-07-2010, 12:14 PM
I checked again at the same Walmart, and the CW and SL pegs said $7.96. So now I'm wondering if they changed it, or if I was just misremembering the first time. At any rate, that's still too high, and uncharacteristic of Walmart.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-07-2010, 02:11 PM
I went to a Wal-Mart in a different town, and they didn't have any figures yet, but I did find a Cloud Car. The pegs still had $4.50 labeled for basic and CW figs, and $7.96 for Legends, but they were all empty.

DarkArtist
08-27-2010, 10:25 AM
my walmart finally restocked and I picked up Dack and the AT-AT Commander... they had everyone except Luke and Leia (glad I was able to grab them a few weeks ago)

still need Dengar, C-3PO, Cloud Car Pilot and really on the fence with the Han Solo figure.

looking forward to getting Anakin and Sidious from Wave 2 and then all of the figures from the ROTJ wave

bkusna
09-01-2010, 12:03 AM
my walmart finally restocked and I picked up Dack and the AT-AT Commander... they had everyone except Luke and Leia (glad I was able to grab them a few weeks ago)

still need Dengar, C-3PO, Cloud Car Pilot and really on the fence with the Han Solo figure.

looking forward to getting Anakin and Sidious from Wave 2 and then all of the figures from the ROTJ wave

It's now september....when do you think wave 2 will show up at walmart so we can all buy them for $7.96?

potf2x
09-01-2010, 10:15 AM
It's now september....when do you think wave 2 will show up at walmart so we can all buy them for $7.96?

My local Walmart just put out wave 2 this morning. I was able to get 6 of the 12 UGH's YEAHHH!! I'm half way there. :)

DarkArtist
09-01-2010, 01:06 PM
right now I wouldn't mind if Wave 2 hit at Walmarts around end of September beginning of October...trying to save some dough. really only interested in Sidious, Anakin and Magna Guard....passing on all of the UGH variants and repacks.

jonthejedi
09-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Scored all Vintage wave 2 in foil(UGH) at Severn, MD SuperWalMart this am. Must have had like 3 different case assortments; also saw wave 1 Vader, Boba(which I picked up; left like 6 normals), Bespin Luke & Han Solo.

bkusna
09-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Scored all Vintage wave 2 in foil(UGH) at Severn, MD SuperWalMart this am. Must have had like 3 different case assortments; also saw wave 1 Vader, Boba(which I picked up; left like 6 normals), Bespin Luke & Han Solo.

I went to a total of 6 walmarts today and I think I found 12 magnaguards and at least 20 cases of wave 2.....ALL figures other than vintage now $6.96 at WALMART!!!!!!!

AmanaMatt
09-02-2010, 05:37 PM
My local Walmart in Texas put out at least two cases worth of the ROTS wave today. Many, many UGH foils to be had....got em all except obi-wan, standard clone and the Grivous guard.

Grievous with cape is really, really nice. Cape adds to it. Sidious looks pretty good in person. Like the cloth material used on his shoulders - nice to see Hasbro use material that is more cloth-like than in previous soft goods.....now, if we could just get a decent Vader cloth cape like Grievous

bkusna
09-02-2010, 08:29 PM
What do we do now until WAVE 3 hits in NOvember or late october?????????:sad:

Mad Slanted Powers
09-02-2010, 08:32 PM
What do we do now until WAVE 3 hits in NOvember or late october?????????:sad:
Have you learned nothing from Yoda, Qui-Gon, or Obi-Wan? Patience. That is the way of the Jedi.

bkusna
09-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Have you learned nothing from Yoda, Qui-Gon, or Obi-Wan? Patience. That is the way of the Jedi.

But, I wanna go into walmart and pick up some power converters!!!!!!!!:laugh:

El Chuxter
10-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Any walmarts have the new figures yet?Yes. I have seen both the first and second wave at a few Wal-Marts.

Too soon for a Golden Shovel Award?

nohagent
10-19-2010, 04:15 PM
i saw wave two at one of my walmarts but really just remnants

DarkArtist
10-21-2010, 09:40 AM
the wally world by me just put out Wave 2 the other day... all that was left was a lone Sidious and Sandtrooper... eagerly awaiting the release of the ROTJ wave to hit...:thumbsup:

bkusna
11-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Better check Wally world....saw at least 3 cases each at 4 different ones today $6 each!!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

bigbarada
11-14-2010, 06:59 PM
No sign of the wave 3 at my Walmart yet. Even though they got the latest vehicles assortment with the Swamp Speeder and the Galactic Heroes wave with that Quinlan Vos figure.

There is still enough room for another case of Vintage. I'm just hoping that wave 3 shows up before they fill that space with one of the three wave 2 cases that I found in the warehouse last week.

Popasdei
11-15-2010, 07:14 PM
No sign of the wave 3 at my Walmart yet. Even though they got the latest vehicles assortment with the Swamp Speeder and the Galactic Heroes wave with that Quinlan Vos figure.

There is still enough room for another case of Vintage. I'm just hoping that wave 3 shows up before they fill that space with one of the three wave 2 cases that I found in the warehouse last week.

I feel ya... Our walmart closest to me made 3 rows for wave 2... I'm wanting wave 3 sooooooo bad. I'm really looking forward to finding the anakin/vader variant.

bigbarada
11-15-2010, 07:20 PM
I feel ya... Our walmart closest to me made 3 rows for wave 2... I'm wanting wave 3 sooooooo bad. I'm really looking forward to finding the anakin/vader variant.

Unfortunately, my Walmart cut their Vintage section down to one column of pegs to make room for those stupid Clone Wars DVD 2-packs. :mad:

bkusna
11-15-2010, 07:29 PM
One of the 4 walmarts I check did the same thing...the overnight stocker told me they would not restock if the pegs were full, so I stashed two cases behind the remote control stuff. This morning I found a case of wave 3 and all new CW....it's worth a shot. They didn't even do an inventory check, just saw empty pegs and restocked it.

Popasdei
11-15-2010, 08:05 PM
If thats the case I'm taking a shopping cart of all the vintage figs and hiding them throughout the store.

bkusna
11-15-2010, 08:10 PM
If thats the case I'm taking a shopping cart of all the vintage figs and hiding them throughout the store.

Dude, that would be awesome to watch that surveillance video over a doughnut break...:laugh::laugh:

Popasdei
11-15-2010, 08:19 PM
I'm dead serious about hiding them all though. I'm at least hiding half tomorrow.

potf2x
11-15-2010, 09:00 PM
YEAH!! I just scored the entire new vintage wave 3 (unpunched) at a Walmart in Central Texas. The case is being labeled as SW Vintage Figures Wave 4.5...you Walmart hunters keep your eyes peeled cuz they're on their way. :D

bigbarada
11-15-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm dead serious about hiding them all though. I'm at least hiding half tomorrow.

It would be best to take them as far to the other side of the store as possible. If it's a Super Walmart, then put them in the grocery section. Overnight grocery associates are on such strict timelines, that it's highly unlikely that they would take the time to walk a bunch of toys across the store until the end of the night.

Even better would be the bread aisle or the frozen pizza section, both of those sections are stocked by vendors who don't actually work for Walmart directly. So they are even less likely to put the toys back where they belong.

sith_killer_99
11-15-2010, 09:05 PM
No no no, hide them in the display desks, inside the drawers. :p

Popasdei
11-15-2010, 09:06 PM
It would be best to take them as far to the other side of the store as possible. If it's a Super Walmart, then put them in the grocery section. Overnight grocery associates are on such strict timelines, that it's highly unlikely that they would take the time to walk a bunch of toys across the store until the end of the night.

Even better would be the bread aisle or the frozen pizza section, both of those sections are stocked by vendors who don't actually work for Walmart directly. So they are even less likely to put the toys back where they belong.

I'm hiding them inside of things.

bkusna
11-15-2010, 09:09 PM
great idea man...go stash them inside those trunks by the office furniture...maybe inside those GIANT tubs with lids too

Popasdei
11-15-2010, 09:12 PM
microwaves and heavy hunting clothes and underneath the stands... I can just slide them underneath things lol!

sith_killer_99
11-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Oh, and if you can't afford the hard to find stuff, you can always bend the cards to make them less desirable for other collectors. This works best if you plan to come back and buy them with the intention of opening them. :rolleyes:

Popasdei
11-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Oh, and if you can't afford the hard to find stuff, you can always bend the cards to make them less desirable for other collectors. This works best if you plan to come back and buy them with the intention of opening them. :rolleyes:

No I have plenty of monies to buy all the figures I want, its just essentailly I have everything being sold except wave 3... :( I'm going to hide all the wave 1-2 around walmart hoping they will put out wave 3. hehe :laugh:

mintoncard01
11-16-2010, 04:06 PM

Seriously?

I just went to Target today looking for the new wave. I did indeed find them.... all with folded, bent and creased cards. I was outraged. I find the fact that someone in these forums would suggest (rolling eyes icon or not) doing such a thing to be abhorrent. It's bad enough with the cliquish nature of the hide-and-PM nature of figure collecting these days, now I have to deal with people destroying cards either because they can't afford the figures or because they just don't want other collectors to have them.

Hiding figures? Put them on layaway! Then get 'em later.
Destroying cards? What is the point? This "hobby" is unnecessarily difficult as it is. Why make it that much more problematic?

bkusna
11-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Seriously?

I just went to Target today looking for the new wave. I did indeed find them.... all with folded, bent and creased cards. I was outraged. I find the fact that someone in these forums would suggest (rolling eyes icon or not) doing such a thing to be abhorrent. It's bad enough with the cliquish nature of the hide-and-PM nature of figure collecting these days, now I have to deal with people destroying cards either because they can't afford the figures or because they just don't want other collectors to have them.

Destroying cards? What is the point? This "hobby" is unnecessarily difficult as it is. Why make it that much more problematic?
welcome to the forum!!!! nice first post.....the intention of hiding figures is to clear the pegwarmers so new merch can be put out..that's all

now the whole bending cards is a different discussion.....

Popasdei
11-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Seriously?

yeah I dont mean to damage, bend or crease... I'm stating our walmart is over stocked with wave 1 and 2. So I hid them all today and waiting for them to put out wave 3! So maybe read a bit more. :grin:

Mad Slanted Powers
11-16-2010, 06:26 PM
So, what about when they finally find where the figures are hidden and put them back. Perhaps there won't be room for them there with the new stuff on the pegs, but when the stuff begins to sell through and you are expecting the next new wave to arrive, they decide to just put out this old stuff they have in the back.

bigbarada
11-16-2010, 06:34 PM

You can't put action figures on layaway. Plus, I believe Walmart did away with their layaway program completely back in 2006.

And the point is not to hide figures to buy those same figures later, the point is to temporarily clear the pegs of unwanted pegwarmers in order to (hopefully) make room for new waves of figures.

bigbarada
11-16-2010, 06:38 PM
So, what about when they finally find where the figures are hidden and put them back. Perhaps there won't be room for them there with the new stuff on the pegs, but when the stuff begins to sell through and you are expecting the next new wave to arrive, they decide to just put out this old stuff they have in the back.

Well, after wave 3 all we have to look forward to is the AOTC wave, so who cares? :p

Seriously, it's only a temporary solution that could complicate things a bit in the long run. But Star Wars toys always seem to move quickly around Christmas-time, plus Walmarts will usually create more space for Star Wars after Black Friday. So, hopefully the increased sales volume would ultimately clear all of those out.

sith_killer_99
11-16-2010, 06:39 PM
I don't feed trolls.

Guys I hate to bust up your super cool neato ideas about getting stores to restock, but the truth is.

1. ALL of the above mentioned ideas have been tried and discussed on these boards....years...many years ago. Most of the old timers on these boards agree that it's bad mojo.
2. By stashing figures there is no guarantee the store will restock with the latest wave.
3. The figures will eventually be found and all it does is create tension between the stockers and collectors and/or give collectors a bad rep.

4. I honestly don't even know why I bothered with this thread.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-16-2010, 06:40 PM
What about the Christmas shoppers that might actually be looking for those wave 1 and 2 figures?

bigbarada
11-16-2010, 06:50 PM
What about the Christmas shoppers that might actually be looking for those wave 1 and 2 figures?

At worst, these will be off the pegs for a day or two. Usually they will be found and placed back on the pegs within hours. So, nobody is being deprived of those figures that have been sitting around since August.

bigbarada
11-16-2010, 06:59 PM
I don't feed trolls.

Guys I hate to bust up your super cool neato ideas about getting stores to restock, but the truth is.

1. ALL of the above mentioned ideas have been tried and discussed on these boards....years...many years ago. Most of the old timers on these boards agree that it's bad mojo.
2. By stashing figures there is no guarantee the store will restock with the latest wave.
3. The figures will eventually be found and all it does is create tension between the stockers and collectors and/or give collectors a bad rep.

4. I honestly don't even know why I bothered with this thread.

You're going to run into workers who get upset that you are creating more work for them; but the store managers want the merchandise to sell, not rot in the warehouse at the back of the store. Their mantra is to get the merchandise on the sales floor so it can sell. Unfortunately, there are many lazy overnight stockers who would rather just slap a label on a box and send it to the back, than open it up and put the items on the shelf.

So you may be temporarily frustrating some workers, but you are helping the store in the long run. Chances are, a figure that has been sitting around for over three months isn't going anywhere anyway; so allowing that to hold up some merchandise that will sell is just stupidity.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-17-2010, 09:39 PM
I saw the "Darth Vader" Anakin there today, and if I hadn't already bought the "Anakin Skywalker" Anakin, I might've picked it up. As an opener, I see no difference (the back of the card says "Original Anakin Skywalker Card" from '05, not Vader). But it did have the ceremony Han and Gree pictures on the back.

Popasdei
11-17-2010, 10:02 PM
I saw the "Darth Vader" Anakin there today, and if I hadn't already bought the "Anakin Skywalker" Anakin, I might've picked it up. As an opener, I see no difference (the back of the card says "Original Anakin Skywalker Card" from '05, not Vader). But it did have the ceremony Han and Gree pictures on the back.

I picked him up today, I have the entire TVC on cardback out so far in my SW cases. I just liked the idea of the variant and had to pick it up and put next to the reg anakin skywalker card back.

El Chuxter
11-17-2010, 10:05 PM
I have not seen them at any Wal-Marts here. Methinks the local flornbis are playing "scavenger hunt" with them, hiding them in the garden center or in the freezer section.

Popasdei
11-17-2010, 10:25 PM
I have not seen them at any Wal-Marts here. Methinks the local flornbis are playing "scavenger hunt" with them, hiding them in the garden center or in the freezer section.

Nope its just me doing that.

DarkArtist
11-18-2010, 02:37 PM
have yet ot see any new figures at the Walmart by me. hopefully they will restock for the Black Friday shopping

morpheus282
11-18-2010, 06:07 PM
I too am hoping for a Black Friday restock. If it wasn't for a lucky Black Friday find I would never have seen Darth Revan in the wild.

sith_killer_99
11-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Wal-Marts near Ft. Hood, TX have new figures.:yes:

Sessy Tiin
11-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Nope its just me doing that.

Is there an affect on the cards after they've been in the freezer? I've thought of doing it for figures I wanted to get on sale, but didn't want the cards to get soft.

El Chuxter
11-18-2010, 10:58 PM
I think it might mess up the glue used to attach the bubble. So if you want to open the figures, but want pristine cards, and don't have the cash to get them now, it might be a good idea to stash them in the freezer section.

Wait, why am I encouraging stashing? :)

bkusna
11-20-2010, 10:16 AM
After a blitzkrieg of WAVE 3, 3 of my Wallys have been recently fully stocked of waves 1/2....I tried to pallet-jack last nite only to find 10 cases of ROTS...Asked the toy manager about it and he said that they are getting older waves in for xmas for all the people who missed out....so you better get WAVE 3 NOW while you can!!!!!!!!!

sith_killer_99
11-20-2010, 11:26 AM
so you better get WAVE 3 NOW while you can!!!!!!!!!

Lest you suffer through a 6 month wait, when they will all be peg warming.:laugh:

DarkJedi5
11-20-2010, 11:57 AM
After a blitzkrieg of WAVE 3, 3 of my Wallys have been recently fully stocked of waves 1/2....I tried to pallet-jack last nite only to find 10 cases of ROTS...Asked the toy manager about it and he said that they are getting older waves in for xmas for all the people who missed out....so you better get WAVE 3 NOW while you can!!!!!!!!!

How can people have missed out? Waves 1 and 2 have been everywhere for months. I went to a Target and a TRU that share the same parking lot the other day and I could find every single figure from the the two waves with the exception of Boba Fett (the only figure I'd have bought).

sith_killer_99
11-20-2010, 01:52 PM
How can people have missed out? Waves 1 and 2 have been everywhere for months. I went to a Target and a TRU that share the same parking lot the other day and I could find every single figure from the the two waves with the exception of Boba Fett (the only figure I'd have bought).

Easy, because I refuse to pay $8 (or more) for a figure. I bought around 1/2 of wave 1 and 2 when Wal-Mart was selling them for $6 each. I will probably buy more soon, if they get some older stock. I will also keep my eye out for wave 3 in good condition. Some of us are not in a rush to buy these.

Also, Christmas is right around the corner and there are some staples of the SW universe in wave 1 and 2, they make good gifts for little kids. I plan on buying my son his first Darth Vader this year.