PDA

View Full Version : Captain Needa's little ship?

Battle Droid
03-01-2002, 03:57 PM
What kind of ship/transport does Needa take to Vader's Star Destroyer in TESB to apologize to him for losing the Falcon? And should it be made?

Rollo Tomassi
03-01-2002, 04:08 PM
Needa was a punk. Of course we shouldn't design his little wussy ship.

But they should design a playset that looks like the conning tower of an Imperial Star Destroyer and folds out/opens up into a Bridge playset. That would be neato.:)

Jargo
03-01-2002, 04:35 PM
Um - that would be an IMPERIAL SHUTTLE, Lamda class. just like that flipping big vintage one that got made and should be remade right now this instant!!!!!!

happy to be of help to you battle Droid. :)

*Stupid stupid hasbro...!!!* :mad:

Battle Droid
03-01-2002, 04:49 PM
Cool, I had no idea that's what it was. It should definately be rereleased.

Thanks Jargo. :)

Rollo Tomassi
03-02-2002, 09:37 AM
hmmph. Looked like a blur of light going from ISD A to ISD B. Nothing Lamda like about it.

Jargo
03-02-2002, 12:42 PM
Maybe it wasn't lamda class after all. I don't think it was actually more than a fast animated blip. but as the only shuttles in the OT so far are the Lamda class i just summised that it would be the same class as the Tydirium. Of course, The TIE bomber was planned as a transport vesel before it was a bomber, so it could be a TIE bomber as a passenger shuttle. If I remember rightly it did look kinda flat. I'm going to have to watch the movie again, I'm getting foggy memory here. I haven't watched any of them in ages so it's a good excuse to bone up about SW so I don't end up talking out of my tush. :D :crazed:

Beast
03-02-2002, 01:59 PM
I think I remember one of the cross sections or guides to the ships of Star Wars showing the shuttle Needa uses. But it's most definatly not a Lambda class shuttle, since at the time that ESB was made they weren't even designed yet. :) That was another thing they could have added for the special editions. Change that lil light blur shuttle into an Imperial Shuttle. That would have been a good change, but then so would have been getting rid of Old Lady w/ Chimp Eyes Emporer Palpatine. :crazed: Maybe since Lucas is going to film new stuff for the Archival Editions of the films, he can replace that weird hologram with one that's played by Ian McDiarmid while he's at it. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
03-02-2002, 05:07 PM
I thought Needa's ship was a small, blocky fat-"T"-shaped transport.

LTBasker
03-02-2002, 06:43 PM
People have said it was this modified TIE Bomber that's been mentioned that instead of a bomb carrier is a troop carrier and is used for flight infiltrations, although if you look close enough on the picture it doesn't look anything like the back of a TIE Bomber, I'm guessing it's an earlier prototype or a later version of the line of TIEs which Vader's TIE Advanced x1 prototype came from which was just a kit-bashed model which was used during filming of that scene. Not alot of info has been given about it though. I hope they either replace it or give a better view of it for the DVD if we ever get a DVD. :D

Jayspawn
03-03-2002, 12:25 AM
Anyway, Emperor Jargo is right of course. We definatly need a Shuttle NOW! It could come with some sort of EU Shuttle Pilot figure. I'd welcome one of those.

Bring it on Hasbro!

Beast
03-03-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Jayspawn
Anyway, Emperor Jargo is right of course. We definatly need a Shuttle NOW! It could come with some sort of EU Shuttle Pilot figure. I'd welcome one of those. Bring it on Hasbro!
Why do we need the shuttle pilot to be EU? :confused: We saw them in Return of the Jedi piloting Vader's shuttle at the beginning of the movie. :) Besides, no worries. There is a pretty good sounding rumor that we will get one for Christmas this year, possibly thru FAO Schwartz.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
03-03-2002, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Why do we need the shuttle pilot to be EU? :confused: We saw them in Return of the Jedi piloting Vader's shuttle at the beginning of the movie. :)

Technically we already have the pilots, they were regular black uniformed Imperial Officers, like the ones in the FX-7 wave. :cool:

Dryanta
03-03-2002, 10:53 AM
Please don't tease us Jar Jar.This Christmas!!!How about an Imperial dignitary pack in?
I thought Tie's had no life support systems?Would they really be a good platform to use as a shuttle.In a pinch I guess.Why waste the mileage on a Lambda class for someone is probably wont be coming back?

Rollo Tomassi
03-03-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Dryanta
Why waste the mileage on a Lambda class for someone is probably wont be coming back?

Exactly. The second in command on Needa's ship was thinking "Geez. if I send him over in a Lamda, I'll never get it back. Then I'll have to requisition a replacement Lamda. And there'll be tons of paperwork. And it'll take forever to get here..."

"Sir? Capt. Needa? Why don't you take this stripped down TIE bomber instead...:D"

Beast
03-03-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Dryanta
Please don't tease us Jar Jar.This Christmas!!!How about an Imperial dignitary pack in? I thought Tie's had no life support systems?Would they really be a good platform to use as a shuttle.In a pinch I guess.Why waste the mileage on a Lambda class for someone is probably wont be coming back?
Meesa not be teasing, there is strong rumors it's coming this Christmas. A well known forum member over at Rebelscum posted some information about it, and Artoo's news had some rumored info about it as well. I hope it does come with dignitaries, we can always use Imperial Officer's for pilots. :D A new soft goods Emporer would be a nice addition as well. I hope more information surfaces soon.

You are correct, TIE ships do not have a life support system. That's why the pilot's have to wear their own. I wish I knew what book they designs for that little shuttle Needa uses appears in, I may just have to dig thru some of the ship books and find it. :frus: I know it wasn't all that intresting looking, just a small shuttle pod.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
03-03-2002, 11:37 AM
Okey dokey, i got this picture from the illustrated script of ESB and it looks very much like a tie vessel to me. it's a little fuzzy because it's a screen cap they used to illustrate the book not a direct print from film cells. but see for yourselves...

Amanamike
03-03-2002, 12:00 PM
ya it does look like a Tie ship of somekind. But I was always under the assumption that ties had no liife support in them?? Maybe it has been fitted with some for short distances and no fancy flying. Oh well I guess only George Lucas really knows, maybe we should ask him what he used for that shot or what he intended to use.

Dryanta
03-03-2002, 12:35 PM
Thanks Jar Jar and Jargo.
It looks alot like a Tie Bomber to me.Angled wings and broad in the body.Throw a couple oxygen tanks on the bomb bay,a space heater and send someone over to vader for a quick lesson on failing.
I really hope the Shuttle rumors are true.

Beast
03-03-2002, 03:49 PM
I found the information about Needa's shuttle that I was looking for, it is a modified TIE Bomber. The ordanance pod has been converted into a passanger area. Here is the info from the Star Wars Technical Commentaries website as well as a picture from the book it appeared in.

TIE Shuttle
ENGINES: 2
ACCELERATION: 8 WEG
HULL: 2 heavy modules
LENGTH: 6.33m
RADIATOR AREA: 53.2mē
WEAPONS: 1 laser cannon

This design was brought out of obscurity in The Empire Strikes Back, when Captain Needa used one of these TIEs as a courier and shuttle craft to report to Lord Vader. Whether the shuttle and the boarding craft are the same is unclear; they have similar shape and size. The boarding craft certainly must have superior armour and speed, since it is principally used during hostilities. The interior of the TIE Shuttle is less cramped, giving the courier passengers more space than the more numerous stormtroopers who are carried in each TIE Boarding Craft. Considering the similarity of hulls, the engines are probably arrayed in the same way as those of a TIE Bomber.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

TIE Shuttle schematics according to STAR WARS Adventure Journal #10:

JEDIpartner
03-04-2002, 08:21 AM
It looks a bit like those old styrene boxes McDonald's used to pack their sandwiches in before they went back to the paper wrappings. TIE Shuttle... Hmmm... interesting!!! Would actually like to see a picture of that thing.

Rollo Tomassi
03-04-2002, 03:31 PM
Oh great. Hasbro will jump at the chance to modify the TIE bomber a bit and rerelease it as an exclusive TIE Shuttle with exclusive Capt. Needa action figure.:rolleyes:

Beast
03-04-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Oh great. Hasbro will jump at the chance to modify the TIE bomber a bit and rerelease it as an exclusive TIE Shuttle with exclusive Capt. Needa action figure.:rolleyes:
Would anyone really complain though, I wouldn't mind a Capt. Needa figure. Even if I had to buy another TIE Bomber in a few years to get it. After all they managed to see most of us the same Speeder bike three times in 1996. Plus now they are getting most of us to buy a 2nd AT-ST, a 2nd Snowspeeder, and later this year a 2nd Power FX scale X-Wing. :D Atleast the TIE Bomber is an all new sculpt, unlike most of these just being re-hases of the vintage toys. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
03-04-2002, 03:40 PM
Actually, Rollo, that would be pretty dang cool. A three person Imperial TIE Shuttle? Heck, yeah, I'd definitely pick it up. For now, I'm hoping that we can at least get into the pod on the BOMBER. I plan to use it as a cargo hold for a trusty R2Q5 or R4M9.

El Chuxter
03-04-2002, 07:51 PM
. . . 2nd Power FX scale X-Wing.

Veddy interesting. Veddy, veddy interesting. Do tell, Mr Binks. :)

LTBasker
03-04-2002, 07:52 PM
I'm hoping to be able to put an extra seat or something along the pilot pod so I can either put a droid in the back or a 2nd pilot, definitely need more than pilot. :D

Beast
03-04-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Veddy interesting. Veddy, veddy interesting. Do tell, Mr Binks. :)
The 25th Anniversary X-Wing that is rumored for a TRU exclusive this Fall/Christmas. Rebelscum had a photo of it up a while back. They removed the electronics, and the dedicated pilot. And instead of tons of stickers, they are painting on the stripes and such. It also has an actual usable droid socket and comes with an R2-D2 figure as well as the recharging lamp and the crates that we saw Luke using on Dagobah. Here is the pic:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
03-04-2002, 08:38 PM
I prefer the stickers to pre paintd decos. Hasbro always screw up paint jobs. I can stick stickers on for myself cuz I'm all growed up. I'm a big boy now. Don't need someone to hold my metaphorical hand all the time. *sigh* It's a great vehicle. I have the bulky heavy first version and I love it to bits having always avoided the first version that was out of scale. I like the droid slot and the little cases as pack in as long as we do get them that is. I'm just going to chuck the droid away if I get it. Got too many R2droids already. At least this will be light enough to hang up from my ceiling. Of course it's still rumour about it being released, just like the Imperial shuttle.

Dryanta
03-04-2002, 08:40 PM
Thanks Jar jar.Looks pretty good to me.I'll be buying one if it shows.I'd also buy the Tie Shuttle.I doudt we'd ever see one

Beast
03-04-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I prefer the stickers to pre paintd decos. Hasbro always screw up paint jobs. I can stick stickers on for myself cuz I'm all growed up. I'm a big boy now. Don't need someone to hold my metaphorical hand all the time. *sigh* (snip) Of course it's still rumour about it being released, just like the Imperial shuttle.
How do they always screw up the paintjobs? Look at the Y-Wing, B-Wing, new AT-ST and Crashed Snowspeeder to see they do a pretty good job now on paintjobs. As for it being a rumor. I dunno, unlike the Imperial Shuttle, we have seen pictures of the 25th Anniversary X-Wing. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darkross
03-05-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Amanamike
ya it does look like a Tie ship of somekind. But I was always under the assumption that ties had no liife support in them?? Maybe it has been fitted with some for short distances and no fancy flying. Oh well I guess only George Lucas really knows, maybe we should ask him what he used for that shot or what he intended to use.

Well...we don't actually see Captain Needa in his ship...so maybe he suited up in a Tie Pilot's flight suit???

Darkross
03-05-2002, 10:52 AM
Growing up as a kid and watching Empire Strikes Back everyday after school, I had always assumed that the ship was a Tie Bomber-like ship. Tie Shuttle seems like a very likely explanation. Thanks for the pics Jar Jar!

Jargo
03-05-2002, 08:30 PM

How do they always screw up the paintjobs? Look at the Y-Wing, B-Wing, new AT-ST and Crashed Snowspeeder to see they do a pretty good job now on paintjobs. As for it being a rumor. I dunno, unlike the Imperial Shuttle, we have seen pictures of the 25th Anniversary X-Wing. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Yeah, saw pictures millions of unproduced figures too. What does seeing a picture prove?
There won't be an x-wing release until a store picks up on it. There won't be a shuttle release if a store doesn't pick up on it. Why do there need to be pictures of the shuttle when it won't have changed a bit other than not having electronics. It's still only a rumour until either the store or hasbro confirm it.

The paint decos on the vehicles are oversprayed and badly sprayed on every single one I've seen. Sticker application at the factory is tardy and slapdash. Evidently my expectations of what constitutes quality are far in excess of your own. And my expectations aren't exactly that high considering these are mass produced toys not hand crafted toys.