PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Battledroids ! (continued)

JediTricks
08-16-2001, 03:32 AM
This is a continuation of the thread: Stupid Battledroids ! (http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=9&PID=5333)

--------

Stillakid, that is a good point about Maul being an outsider in a time of war, and Panaka should have fired on the guy, he even made a move!

As for Panaka's line about the Droids being "battle hardened", you're absolutely right, they were neither hardened to the emotional scars of war, nor were they even in a battle previous to the occupation of Naboo to work out the bugs in the systems, at least according to the EU source material. I guess at BEST, they could have had mock-battles against each other (which might explain their shabby condition), but even then, how would Panaka know they were battle-hardened? I think he was just afraid and jumping to conclusions, but I guess the problem is it's a poor scene.

Rollo Tomassi
08-16-2001, 03:43 AM
Yeah, I think it was just a line to make the droids sound dangerous.

I feel it would have worked better to refer to their abilities in terms of shear numbers and not with a term that implies emotion and experience.

JediTricks
08-16-2001, 10:35 AM
Hmm, like this?
CAPT. PANAKA: This is a dangerous situation, Your Highness. Our security volunteers will be no match against the massive Federation army.I see what you mean, it really would have worked better that way, especially coming from the guy who's known for saying "we'll be sitting ducks!" ;)

stillakid
08-16-2001, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the backup. I've been quite vocal lately about problems that I see in TPM (and accurate, I believe), but have come under attack for being too critical in my, well, critique. This "little" scene under current discussion highlights perfectly what I've been trying to get across.

Rollo Tomassi
08-16-2001, 11:46 PM
Yes JT, that's good.

One word makes a huge difference here, so what it comes down to is volunteers vs. massive. Who couldn't get the impression with that? ''Volunteer'' implies small and limited, and they would obviously be endangered by a droid army of that size.

Stilliakid, what are some other lines that could use a fresher word or two ?

JediTricks
08-17-2001, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Stilliakid, what are some other lines that could use a fresher word or two ?
This was my FIRST complaint seeing Ep 1 in theaters at the midnight showing (it certainly wasn't my last though), so here's my change for the dialogue that would have made things so much better:

NUTE: Stay Calm! Distract them until I contact Lord Sidious.
DOFINE: Are you insane? I'm not going in there with two Jedi! Send the droid.
"Are you brain-dead?!?" What kind of lame-arse line was THAT, George?

QLD
08-17-2001, 03:23 AM
battle droids just suck, no way around it.

Obi-Don
08-17-2001, 07:32 AM
Battle droids suck but the ships and tanks were cool.I really liked the tank,and some of the lines used were lame too much like a cartoon.

evenflow
08-17-2001, 08:31 AM
I think Battle Droids had to suck for a reason. Their easy defeat leads up for the need of human troops, StormTroopers. :D

Eternal Padawan
08-17-2001, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I think it was just a line to make the droids sound dangerous.

I feel it would have worked better to refer to their abilities in terms of shear numbers and not with a term that implies emotion and experience.

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with this simply because, YOU ARE A FRAUD!!!!

Rollo Tomassi
08-17-2001, 02:23 PM
E.P., are you the real Rollo ?

Eternal Padawan
08-17-2001, 03:50 PM
E.P., are you the real Rollo ?

Does that imply you are the fraudulent Rollo??

Bel-Cam Jos
08-17-2001, 05:08 PM
You know what they say about "imply." You make an "imp" out of "elwhy" (L.Y.). Or they don't say that.

This is gonna be bad.

Back to the topic, recall Ben mentions the "precise" blast marks of Imperial Stormtroopers, and we rarely see one live up to that reputation.

Eternal Padawan
08-20-2002, 09:10 PM
If the Federation had never used their "massive" army in a battle before, how did they know how they would work in that situation?

It's like lining up 10,000 dominoes like they do on REAL PEOPLE! or THAT'S AMAZING! and only having the first twenty fall down.

You know what's amazing? That real people use to do that silly stuff back in the early eighties. It was a safe, drab, precursor to Jackarse. I blame the nerdy little kid. What was his name?

ROLLO!

Darth Sidious
08-20-2002, 09:55 PM
Lol about the precise blast marks...Maybe they were just too precise for Tusken Raiders, since all they do is spit blood on moisture farmers all day. I was also wondering how they were "Battle Hardened." And just out of curiosity, which of the droids was a smart***? Was it the "Uhh...Coruscant?" one?

LTBasker
08-20-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Back to the topic, recall Ben mentions the "precise" blast marks of Imperial Stormtroopers, and we rarely see one live up to that reputation.

I think he means by precise from the non-randomness of the attack. Sand troopers would most likely not know where to blast and just blast all over but Stormtroopers could know the technical specifics of the Sandcrawler and have known where to blast, even if they weren't perfectly accurate, well the Jawas weren't very main characters so the blaster bolts didn't care where the heck they hit. ;)

scruffziller
08-21-2002, 11:22 AM
Wow this is an old thread. I believe battle hardened was said in vain. He probably meant "as in comparison if they were living" they would be battle hardened because they are just droids they have no fear of any kind and would not be under any reservations for themselves at all. How do you stop something like that. They're remote controlled walking little tanks that have humanoid form and there are lots of them and possibly limitless to what someone could handle. It takes the federation alot shorter time to construct the same amount of battle droids than the Kaminos to make clones.

Darth Vellner
08-26-2002, 05:37 PM
"battle hardened" could be a Program......(Insert;BATTLEHARDENED/9.0)

JediTricks
08-27-2002, 04:26 AM
Vellner, isn't that the program they loaded into the CG battlers used to make last year's "Lord of the Rings" film, and when they told the AI to attack the other side and win in the most reasonable and intelligent way possible, and the AI responded by having all the warriors run away? :D