PDA

View Full Version : NFL Action 2010!

Tycho
08-10-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm surprised there wasn't a thread for this season.

Anyway, I've got my tickets to the first Chargers pre-season game versus the Chicago Bears. I'm lookin' forward to it!

I usually prefer to watch football on TV (versus actually living at the baseball stadium like I frequently do).

But we'll see how our teams do this year. Many have been reorganized since the last season.

The Chargers have an awesome schedule vs the Bears, the Cowboys, the Superbowl Champion Saints, the Patriots, Titans, Bengals, and more (the Denver Broncos are our usual rival and always make for challenging games).

So post your football thoughts here and root for your team. Let's have some fun here!

JimJamBonds
08-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Sorry Tycho (and Bobafrett) but the Bears suck. Are the teams you listed above home games? There are a couple of games I wouldn't mind seeing. It'll be interesting to see if Phillip Rivers can take a(nother) step forward this year and do some damage in the playoffs.

Darth Metalmute
08-10-2010, 08:15 PM
No need to worry Tycho, with Tim Tebow on board Denver will be awesome this year. I mean, they will be a cakewalk.

Ugh, I'm in for a long season.

I'm going to make an early perdiction and take the Bengals over the Packers in the Super Bowl this year.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-11-2010, 07:30 PM
I boldy predict that the Steelers will have NO (MORE) SIGNIFICANT OFF-FIELD 'LAPSES IN JUDGMENT" in 2010. Please?

We're all missing the most important detail of this upcoming season: the re-positioning of the umpire on the field. Discuss... now.

Darth Metalmute
08-12-2010, 07:27 AM
They moved him behind the quarterback now, correct?

I think it will result in less holding calls on both sides, and more of my dad screaming, "How can they let the Patriots cheat like that?!?"

JimJamBonds
08-12-2010, 01:51 PM
They moved him behind the quarterback now, correct?

I think it will result in less holding calls on both sides, and more of my dad screaming, "How can they let the Patriots cheat like that?!?"

Yes and yes.

DarthQuack
08-12-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm not expecting much from the New York Giants this season.....doesn't mean I won't cheer them to death every week either though! :)

Tycho
08-13-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm rooting my Chargers on though I'm more interested in the Padres by a tenfold!

HOME - Pre-season: Bears, Cowboys
AWAY - Pre-Season: Saints (and the 49ers) - I am Recording this!

HOME - Reg Season: (good games only):

Patriots
Titans
Broncos

JimJamBonds
08-14-2010, 06:44 AM
Saints and 'niners would be good games, too bad they are pre season.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-14-2010, 09:42 AM
The pre-season often has "inter-league/-conference" regional games (STL/KC, SF/OAK, TB/MIA, DAL/HOU, etc.) on a fairly regular basis.

Tycho
08-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Like I posted above, the Chargers' pre-season schedule is better than most of the regular season one.

I may just watch 5-6 games for certain this season. It depends on how SD is doing for me.

Contrast that with a guy who physically attends 3-50 Padres home games.

Though I live in walking distance of Qualcomm Stadium (Chargers), I don't know if I'll attend more than 2 or 3 games a season in person.

I'll see how much fun I have at the game today. The Padres play in SF on TV here in about 35 minutes.

I'm not leaving for the Chargers game for about another 2 1/2 hours when my friends arrive.

I'd like Phillip Rivers to continue winning but SD must beat SF in MLB first and foremost!!!

Tycho
08-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Padres beat San Fran and Lincecum to win the series against our closest division rival.

Now back to the NFL.

The Chargers defeated the Chicago Bears 25-10. It was a pretty exciting game with both teams holding the lead for at least a little while in the first half.

San Diego dominated the end of the game!

Darth Metalmute
08-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Denver's first teamers looked really good last night. They lead 14-0 when they exited.

Then their lack of depth was exhibited as they were outscored 33-10 the remainder of the game.

Game 1 of the "Tebow experiment" went pretty well. 8-13 for 105 yards and a rushing touchdown is pretty good for a quarter and a half. I know it was against second and third teamers, but they wanted to hurt him.

I don't know about everyone else, but after they shaved him bald, I'm started to buy into Tebow. He actually looks like a football player now.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Pittsburgh looked sloppy versus Detroit. Onepre-season game does not a lost season make, but I am not unconcerned so far.

figrin bran
08-18-2010, 10:10 PM
So all it took for Brett to finally make up his mind was a visit from Jared Allen, Steve Hutchinson and Ryan Longwell???? That is amazing, even for him.

JimJamBonds
08-19-2010, 02:25 PM
So all it took for Brett to finally make up his mind was a visit from Jared Allen, Steve Hutchinson and Ryan Longwell???? That is amazing, even for him.

That was such BS! Come on, who DIDN'T think he was going to come back? So did those three guys come down there and say to his wife "Umm Mrs. Favre can Brett come up to the cities with us and play football?"

Today a local radio guy said something that I thought was great.
Brett Favre is the Marty Schotenhymer of NFL players.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-19-2010, 05:11 PM
I will be surprised when (if?) BF stays with a retirement decision. His more impressive streak will be most consecutive days without retracting a tearful press conference about his leaving the game.

Tycho
08-23-2010, 06:02 PM
I stayed away from this thread for 8 days, but I was persuaded to come back. :D

Here's some pics from last weekend's 16-14 loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

It was a good game and Ryan Matthews and Malcolm Floyd looked really good. Phillip Rivers even demonstrated what kind of player he'll be this year at QB by running the ball up the middle for a dive-in over Dallas' defensive line!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-23-2010, 06:18 PM
I was more impressed by Rivers chasing down the defender who picked him off. He is tough guy sometimes.

Favre's 4 snaps got more pub than most others players who went a full quarter or more.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Pre-season is gone. Real games are on! Almost everybody still has a chance... ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-20-2010, 11:46 PM
My dad sent me the NFL preview in Sports Illustrated this past week; Peter King has the Steelers beating the Packers. After these two weeks, that's not unlikely. But then again, when you get seven turnovers, you need to win (and not on a last-second play to end the game).

Surprised by 2-0 KC, TB, Pit, Hou, Mia? Or 0-2 Min, Dal?

figrin bran
09-21-2010, 01:10 AM
Reggie Bush had to leave tonight's game after a devastating Karma tackle.

Darth Metalmute
09-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Surprised by 2-0 KC, TB, Pit, Hou, Mia? Or 0-2 Min, Dal?

I expected KC to be 1-1, but beating SD in September is pretty common under Norv.

TB beating Cleveland and Carolina isjust the luck of the draw. They might not win another game all year.

People were saying if the Steelers can go 2-2 without Big Ben they would be fine. Well they are 2-0 andwith Tampa upcoming and nobody can run on them.

It's about time that Houston played like they should.

I'm not too surprised about Miami since their last game was only Farves fourth preseason game.

I will always think Dallas is overrated until they dumb Wade Phillips.

Vikings go the luck of a bad draw. Two physical defenses to open up against with a QB who is still in preseason form.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-03-2010, 09:01 PM
I never like to see the teams I support lose, but today's Ravens defeat may be what turns the Steelers around, even moreso than RothIBetterLearn-ger's return after the bye week. Realize you're not perfect; a team needs better balance between run-pass, can't have silly penalties, and shouldn't rely on its defense almost exclusively. Rest up, fellas, and be ready for the Browns. :thumbsup:

Darth Metalmute
12-07-2010, 09:41 PM
I got my early Christmas present. No more Josh McDaniels.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-08-2010, 06:39 PM
I was surprised to hear that. Will Denver be paying for 3 head coaches next year (Shanahan, McDaniels, candidate X)?

Darth Metalmute
12-09-2010, 09:14 AM
I was surprised to hear that. Will Denver be paying for 3 head coaches next year (Shanahan, McDaniels, candidate X)?

I am going to offer myself for the job. After watching McDaniels coach for almost two seasons, I have learned from his mistakes that it is bad to trade away all your talent (go figure). All I would need is a geneal manager to evaulate talent, an offensive coordinator to run the offense and a defensive coordinator to run the defense. I figure I would select Bill Polian as my GM since it sounds like he is on the outs in Indy, Gary Kubiak for OC as he probably will be fired at the end of this year, and I would throw head coach money at Mike Nolan to return to be the DC and assistant head coach after the great job he did in Denver last year.

Qui-Long Gone
12-10-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm so happy the Colts won. I started to have flash backs to the pre-Manning teams that stunk year after year.

JimJamBonds
12-12-2010, 08:51 AM
The Metrodome roof collapsed!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
12-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Could it mean... outdoor football in Minneapolis again? Marshall, Tarkenton, Page (and wasn't Favre a rookie back in '77? :p ).

Darth Metalmute
12-12-2010, 01:20 PM
It got moved to Detroit. First Monday Night game in Detroit in a decade and it's not the Lions.

Sounds like the game will be free to first come first served. Depending on the weather (which looks bad) I might try to go.

JimJamBonds
12-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Could it mean... outdoor football in Minneapolis again? Marshall, Tarkenton, Page (and wasn't Favre a rookie back in '77? :p ).
I heard talk about moving it to the new stadium where the U of Minnesota plays but they wouldn't have gotten it ready in time. The Vikings have another home game next week so maybe they'll play there then.

DarthQuack
12-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Let's go G-Men!!! Should be interesting to see how many people will be in the stands.

Qui-Long Gone
12-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Wish I was in Detroit visiting the in-laws...I could go for free tickets Monday!

Tycho
12-13-2010, 02:27 AM
Well I was working on my novel, but I heard the Chargers tore apart the KC Chiefs.

Good job, team (this time).

Qui-Long Gone
12-14-2010, 12:31 PM
I'll make my bold post-season predictions now.

I have a bad feeling my Colts lose to the red hot (but overrated) Jags, thus ending a perfectly good Sunday for me.

AFC: Jags, Chargers (sucks to be the Chiefs anytime), Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Jets.

AFC champs - Patriots over does it really matter?

NFC: Falcons, Eagles, Saints, Rams, Bears, Giants.

NFC champs - Falcons over Eagles.

Superbowl - Falcons over Pats (cause Karma is a biatch Bill!)

Bel-Cam Jos
12-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Well, I say that the Patsies don't even MAKE the playoffs! [whisper, whisper] What? Really? Eh, okay.

I'll match your crazy predictions with some o' mine own:

AFC West: KC (I think SD comes down to earth)
AFC North: Pitt (I sure hope so)
AFC South: Indy (I just can't see Jacksonville coming through)
AFC East: NE (I have no choice, I guess)
AFC Wild Cards: Baltimore, J-ville (still gets in)

NFC West: St. Louis (really? sure! )
NFC North: Green Bay (limps in, loses early)
NFC South: Atlanta (by a late-season win vs. NO)
NFC East: Philly (but'll fizzle in post season cold)
NFC Wild Cards: New Orleans, NY Giants (tiebreaker over Chicago, maybe)

AFC Championship: Baltimore vs. Pittsburgh
NFC Championship: Giants vs. Atlanta

Super Bowl: Steelers over Falcons :D :thumbsup: :homerpick:

Darth Metalmute
12-14-2010, 10:15 PM
AFC West: San Diego
AFC South: Indy
AFC North: Pittsburgh
AFC East: New England
AFC Wild Card: Ravens, Chiefs (the Jets have been exposed)

NFC West: St. Louis
NFC South: Atlanta
NFC North: Chicago (Green Bay is the better team, but has to pick up 2 games in 4 weeks)
NFC East: Philadelphia
NFC Wild Card: New Orleans, New York

Wild Card Round
San Diego over Kansas City
Indy over Baltimore
New Orleans over St. Louis
New York over Chicago

Divisional Round
New England over Indy
Pittsburgh over San Diego
Atlanta over New York
New Orleans over Philadelphia

Championship Round
New England over Pittsburgh
New Orleans over Atlanta

Super Bowl
New Orleans over New England

JimJamBonds
12-15-2010, 08:16 AM
I heard talk about moving it to the new stadium where the U of Minnesota plays but they wouldn't have gotten it ready in time. The Vikings have another home game next week so maybe they'll play there then.

I just heard next Monday nights game will be played at the U of M's outdoor stadium. The foretasted high is 9!

Qui-Long Gone
12-15-2010, 08:23 AM
^buhahahahahaha! Guess the Vikes never saw this season's bad luck coming? Too bad, I actually like 4 but could care less about that x-coach they had.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Well, I say that the Patsies don't even MAKE the playoffs! [whisper, whisper] What? Really? Eh, okay.

I'll match your crazy predictions with some o' mine own:

AFC West: KC (I think SD comes down to earth)
AFC North: Pitt (I sure hope so)
AFC South: Indy (I just can't see Jacksonville coming through)
AFC East: NE (I have no choice, I guess)
AFC Wild Cards: Baltimore, J-ville (still gets in)

NFC West: St. Louis (really? sure! )
NFC North: Green Bay (limps in, loses early)
NFC South: Atlanta (by a late-season win vs. NO)
NFC East: Philly (but'll fizzle in post season cold)
NFC Wild Cards: New Orleans, NY Giants (tiebreaker over Chicago, maybe)

AFC Championship: Baltimore vs. Pittsburgh
NFC Championship: Giants vs. Atlanta

Super Bowl: Steelers over Falcons :D :thumbsup: :homerpick:Well, my AFC was almost spot-on, but some of the NFC was way off. The SB won't go completely that way now, but if the Steelers can survive in Fixedboro, they've got a strong chance to win one for the thumb and forefinger in February! :D :OK:

Qui-Long Gone
01-16-2011, 04:51 PM
I'll make my bold post-season predictions now.

I have a bad feeling my Colts lose to the red hot (but overrated) Jags, thus ending a perfectly good Sunday for me.

AFC: Jags, Chargers (sucks to be the Chiefs anytime), Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Jets.

AFC champs - Patriots over does it really matter?

NFC: Falcons, Eagles, Saints, Rams, Bears, Giants.

NFC champs - Falcons over Eagles.

Superbowl - Falcons over Pats (cause Karma is a biatch Bill!)

AFC = missed the AFC West and South winners big time.

NFC = missed the NFC West and wild card.

My NFC won't happen....yet to determine AFC.

Darth Metalmute
01-17-2011, 07:22 AM
How many of you were hoping that Braylon Edwards snapped his ankle when he landed that backflip after the game? Me too.

Go Pittsburgh!

DarthQuack
01-17-2011, 08:45 AM
I'll be happy for whoever wins as long as it's not Pittsburgh!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Well, the Darths Quack and Metalmute will just have to duel each other now, so there's only one master. :pleased: Both Sports Illustrated in their pre-season issue and my local newspaper today had/have the Steelers and Packers in the SB. I'd be quite pleased with that... and a 63-57 final score for Pittsburgh's 7th ring.

Qui-Long Gone
01-17-2011, 01:13 PM
I'll be rooting Packers only because A-Rod was my fantasy football QB for the last two seasons.

As a Colts fan, I'm super happy the Jets won. Good luck Pittsburg. You may have a better team than the Jets, but you better fight for your life next week. You may bring bigger knives to the fight, but I promise the Jets will bring guns. These guys take victory and defeat personally. How do you fight against that?

Tycho
01-17-2011, 02:05 PM
I want the Bears to win.

I am happy for the Jets and former Chargers LT and Cromarte.

I watched part of the Jets game but I was busy doing my baseball thing.

JetsAndHeels
01-17-2011, 03:23 PM
How many of you were hoping that Braylon Edwards snapped his ankle when he landed that backflip after the game? Me too.

How many of you were glad the Patriots got embarrassed in their own house?

Me too.

Qui-Long Gone
01-17-2011, 03:40 PM

Me too.

That phrase "embarrassed in their own house" will never get old.

Darth Metalmute
01-17-2011, 03:53 PM

Me too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they won. Anytime the Patriots lose is a good thing in my opinion. But I hate that kind of showmanship. Doing a back flip after the game, flying around like airplanes, taking a nap in the end-zone, calling the opposing QB an *bleep* and then threatening to end someones career when they make a funny comments about their coaches hilarious foot fetish.... they aren't exactly a likeable bunch. Sometimes people need a little bit of humility, and snapping your ankle doing a celebratory backflip would have done the job.

Qui-Long Gone
01-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they won. Anytime the Patriots lose is a good thing in my opinion. But I hate that kind of showmanship. Doing a back flip after the game, flying around like airplanes, taking a nap in the end-zone, calling the opposing QB an *bleep* and then threatening to end someones career when they make a funny comments about their coaches hilarious foot fetish.... they aren't exactly a likeable bunch. Sometimes people need a little bit of humility, and snapping your ankle doing a celebratory backflip would have done the job.

Now see, as a Colts fan I would have found both the loss of the Pats at home AND the snapping ankle of a Jet = to Payton winning a Superbowl! :laugh::twisted:

Bel-Cam Jos
01-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Break out your yellow fan items for SB XLV: Terrible Towels and Cheeseheads!

Qui-Long Gone
01-24-2011, 11:29 PM
I wonder if Big Ben will crucify the Manning v Brady debate by winning more Superbowls than both of them combined?

He'll definitely win the "bang a college skank in a dirty bathroom" contest.

I'm rooting Packers because Rogers was my fantasy QB and I love the thought of him crucifying the Farve debate. He handled the chaos with class and has paid his dues.

Lord Malakite
01-25-2011, 02:36 PM
I have an offer for a potential free Papa John's pizza for all SSG forumites in regards to the Super Bowl. :thumbsup: Here is how it works. Visit Papa John's official website and register a free rewards account with them. Under the Papa Points section be certain enter their Super Bowl pizza offer. If the Super Bowl goes into overtime everyone who entered the offer will receive 25 Papa Points to redeem a free large (up to 3 topping) pizza by June 30th.

So worst case scenario, you waste a minute of your time. Best case scenario, you get a free large pizza.

Qui-Long Gone
01-26-2011, 07:40 AM
mmmmm Papa Johns. :love:

Bel-Cam Jos
02-02-2011, 06:09 PM
mmmmm Papa Johns. :love:Mmm... $3 million :30 Super Bowl commericals... ;)

Darth Metalmute
02-02-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm rooting Packers because Rogers was my fantasy QB and I love the thought of him crucifying the Farve debate. He handled the chaos with class and has paid his dues.

I'm conflicted. On one hand, my moms a Steelers fan and I'll be watching the game with her. On the other hand, I put money on the Packers when the were 7-2 odds.

Either way, I guess I'm happy.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Aside from three very costly TOs, it was a good game. The halftime show was better than decent, a few of the commercials were pretty good. Congrats on a great season anyway, Pittsburgh! :thumbsup:

Darth Metalmute
02-07-2011, 07:34 AM
I thought the halftime show was incoherent, and I typically like BEP. But after Aguilera butchered the Anthem, there was nowhere left to go but up.

Great game. It's a shame Pittsburgh dug themselves into a hole.

JimJamBonds
02-07-2011, 10:15 PM
I'll start off by saying not to nitpick since the Packers won (born and raised about 45 min south of Lambeau) it was a 'typical' Packer game. Hot start, and a slow painful at times second half grind to the finish. But hey, after 14 years the Lombaradi trophy is home, so I won't complain!!!!