PDA

View Full Version : What's the person in front of you buying?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-14-2010, 09:53 AM
I was in line (I don't really understand the "on line" comment line, but that's for some different time and place :rolleyes: ) at the grocery store the other day. On the conveyor belt ahead of me were the following items:
- 4 bottles (about a liter each) of vermouth
- 2 gallons of milk (think it was whole milk)
- a 12-pack toilet paper

I did NOT want to know what concoction would involve those ingredients. :eek: I've had a few times where my items are an odd combination. Anyone else observe some weird buys of other customers?

El Chuxter
08-14-2010, 12:56 PM
If you're at Wal-Mart, it always involves diapers, lingerie, and cigarettes. I don't know why. I'm not even being stereotypical--the person in front of me at any Wal-Mart, at any time, anywhere in the country, will always have those three items.

And a tag will be missing from one of the articles. Also, 12.3% of the time, the person doesn't have enough money or the card is declined.

sith_killer_99
08-14-2010, 02:15 PM
If you're at Wal-Mart, it always involves diapers, lingerie, and cigarettes. I don't know why. I'm not even being stereotypical--the person in front of me at any Wal-Mart, at any time, anywhere in the country, will always have those three items.

And a tag will be missing from one of the articles. Also, 12.3% of the time, the person doesn't have enough money or the card is declined.

Stop paying for your stuff at the cigarette register....problem solved.:laugh:

El Chuxter
08-14-2010, 02:26 PM
At the local one, it's the only register open 99% of the time. The self-checkout lanes are either broken or backed up with idiots who can't figure out how to use them.

I've also found (and it's the same at the local grocery stores) that, even in the non-cigarette lanes, 99% of the time someone will ask for cigarettes and the cashier will just leave the register to get them their cigarettes.

morpheus282
08-14-2010, 02:41 PM
I seem to recall a comedian (don't remember who) talking about finding the best combination of two items to buy at Walmart that will get you odd looks from the cashier. Things like:

12 pack of beer and a box of Velveeta (redneck wine and cheese)
Baby formula and Nyquil
A shovel and a box of .44 ammo
KY and a cucumber
And perhaps the worst:

A pregnancy test and a pack of coat hangers
The oddest thing I've ever seen personally was during a long distance trip when I realized my cell phone was about to die, I didn't have a car charger with me, and I was in the middle of nowhere. I stopped at a Walmart at 1 am and everything in electronics was covered in a layer of dust. I got my charger and while waiting in line I heard a lady talking to her companion about some plants. She said "Walmart has the worst looking plants around. I hate to buy them, but I just can't leave them here to die..."

AFCollector
08-14-2010, 08:54 PM
I know it says "the person in front of you" in the thread title, but I kind of feel this is related.

I keep late hours and usually eat 'dinner' around 10-11, sometimes later. I pass by several 7-11 stores and invariably stop in for a hot dog or a slice of pizza. It is almost always empty when I enter.

As soon as I pick my bottle of soda and make my way towards the counter, several people that were mysteriously camouflaged pop out of nowhere with arms loaded with cases of beer and step in behind me. All giving me the "why are you keeping us waiting" look as I have just asked the counter-person to step away and prepare my quick meal.

Never. Fails. And it happens in all three of the 7-11's in this 2 mile radius. I dunno what it is.

I am tempted to make a research project with video documentation of this phenomenon.

sith_killer_99
08-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Well, I just got back from Wal-Mart, as I had to pick up some diaper for the little one and a few misc. items.

The guy in front of me had over $300.00 in groceries, his card did not work.:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, using my advanced powers of observation I noticed in another line a blond woman, approx. 30-35 years old wearing a bikini top and tight short shorts (clearly no underwear) with the usual tramp stamp.:rolleyes:

bkusna
08-14-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm getting 4 more snowtroopers while the hottie in front of me was buying tampons and a screwdriver????? wonder what she's gonna do tonight?????:whip:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Barnes & Noble. A woman couldn't complete whatever she was trying to do because she didn't have "the code." Couldn't access it from her phone, didn't remember it, did not understand how she could've even written it down and brought it into the store. As this was unfolding, the line grew to about 6 customers; one cashier open. Nice. :tired: So I kept looking at the cover of the book I was buying (SW: Year By Year, which is AWESOME, by the way).

bobafrett
08-15-2010, 05:17 PM
I avoid lines at all costs, I go to the self checkout lanes whanever possible, and I shop late as not to get stuck with the crowd. There fore I rarely ever see what the person in line in front of me is buying.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-29-2010, 11:44 AM
In the Dollar Tree to get a pack of C batteries, there were two open lines, with both so long it was preventing people from walking through that part of the store. Then they opened a third, and people decided which would be better; I stayed. The lady three customers ahead in mine was buying mylar balloons, and two floated away to the ceiling. So, with no one else able to reach, I showed off my old school hops and jumped up the 8" to grab the string. No "thank you" from her, either, but that was okay. The lady in directly in front of me said she forgot Scotch tape; I don't know if DT sells official 3M products, but I'm sure it carries clear tape.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Someone behind me might've considered me the "in front of" person, as I shelled out $.41 at Kohl's (:shakesfirstharder: ) for a cloth napkin and SW newspaper comic style t-shirt. Thanks, $10 off coupon with $10 minimum purchase! But the person in front of me helped the store's profit margin more than I did, IIRC. :rolleyes: