PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars on Blu-Ray 2011!!!

sith_killer_99
08-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Wow, I just read the news about the release of Star Wars on Blu-Ray.

NEW deleted scenes including a scene with Luke building his new light saber in a cave at the opening of ROTJ!!!:D

I hope Lucas does the right thing here and releases these with the original theatrical versions. I also hope these will include iTunes versions of the films.

I can't wait!:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
08-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Hopefully the new deleted scenes will be on a new DVD set. I'd buy that. I wouldn't buy a new player.

And hopefully said new DVD set is available in Classic Trilogy flavor and not only in Classic/Prequel Swirl. I don't need any more prequel anything, unless they're finally fixing Yoda in TPM.

Droid
08-14-2010, 03:06 PM
It would be fun to see a cut scene of Luke building his lightsaber, but it should not be edited into the film.

The first time Luke should be seen in walking into the palace, hidden by his cloak. (I know he is a hologram before that.)

sith_killer_99
08-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Hopefully the new deleted scenes will be on a new DVD set. I'd buy that. I wouldn't buy a new player.

And hopefully said new DVD set is available in Classic Trilogy flavor and not only in Classic/Prequel Swirl. I don't need any more prequel anything, unless they're finally fixing Yoda in TPM.

It's okay Chux, the format war is over and prices have dropped.:laugh:

Soon your tube televison and dvd player will break and you will be forced to adopt HD, when that time comes you will be happy with blu-ray.:yes:

Honestly, I do not see Lucas releasing this stuff on DVD.:twisted:

Beast
08-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Don't expect the original cuts. They won't be on this set, you can rest assured of that.

Lucas also clarified that the original trilogy movies will be included as they were shown theatrically in 1997 and released on DVD in 2004 - i.e., the original versions will not be included. "You have to go through and do a whole restoration on it, and you have to do that digitally," he said. "It's a very, very expensive process to do it. So when we did the transfer to digital, we only transferred really the upgraded version."

In fact, if rumors hold true... this will be all new versions of the films. Such as replacing the awful Yoda puppet from TPM with the CGI Yoda that was designed for AotC. And tweaking a few more things here and there.

Good to hear about the never before seen deleted sceens. Hopefully we get the Wampa Room scene from ESB. And I wonder if this means we might get the Camie and Fixer scene from ANH. They did just get figures, after all.

Beast
08-14-2010, 03:19 PM
It's okay Chux, the format war is over and prices have dropped.:laugh:
Indeed. You can get a semi-decent Blu-Ray player from Wal-Mart for $88.

And I agree. I doubt we'll see a DVD release with all the bells and whistles.

He wants people to adopt Blu-Ray, and making it a Blu-Sclusive will do that.

Beast
08-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Sorry about the double posts. But they're each somewhat required.

So to make it better...... here's the Lightsaber scene shown at SWC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJ0E7HbTKc

Watch it quick before Lucasfilm gets it yanked down.

sith_killer_99
08-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Sorry about the double posts. But they're each somewhat required.

So to make it better...... here's the Lightsaber scene shown at SWC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJ0E7HbTKc

Watch it quick before Lucasfilm gets it yanked down.

You rock! Downloaded and saved for posterity.

The digital transfer argument is bs IMO. He already did the digital transfer for the DVD release back in 2006, so he has the original theatrical releases in digital format.:yes:

El Chuxter
08-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Good frickin' lord, I don't want to get into this g***** debate again. I merely stated that for those people who can't afford or can't use blu-ray, for those who think it's wasteful to get and throw away electronics every couple of years, or for those who don't plan to re-buy their entire collection and don't see the need to get a new player for just one movie or a small handful of movies, I would hope this is released on DVD. If not, eff Lucas; he doesn't need the money too badly. :)

There are people who just don't care, or who don't see enough of a picture improvement to justify even $88 for a new player. It's foolish for the movie companies to be so set on ramming blu-ray down everyone's throats less than a decade after the wide adoption of DVD that they ignore this.

That said, the original trilogy is one of the very, very few movies that could make me upgrade. However, if it's only sold as a set of all six movies, screw that. The prequels aren't good enough movies for a double-dip.

I've said my point. Continue ridiculing me over some perceived mental defect.

Beast
08-14-2010, 04:01 PM
The original ones that are on the 2006 DVD's are non-anamorophic ports from the old Laserdisc versions. When he made the SE's, they did restore the original prints, but then it was sliced up for to be used to make the SE cuts. So it probably would require quite a lot of money to do a full-blown restoration on each one of the film's remaining original cut prints and then have it converted to digital. Plus I fully support his artistic choice of not releasing those cuts.

sith_killer_99
08-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Good frickin' lord, I don't want to get into this g***** debate again. I merely stated that for those people who can't afford or can't use blu-ray, for those who think it's wasteful to get and throw away electronics every couple of years, or for those who don't plan to re-buy their entire collection and don't see the need to get a new player for just one movie or a small handful of movies, I would hope this is released on DVD. If not, eff Lucas; he doesn't need the money too badly. :)

There are people who just don't care, or who don't see enough of a picture improvement to justify even $88 for a new player. It's foolish for the movie companies to be so set on ramming blu-ray down everyone's throats less than a decade after the wide adoption of DVD that they ignore this.

Wow Chux, breath, I was just messing with you.:laugh:

FTR, I will probably not buy these without the theatrical release. Besides, I can just rent 'em from Netflix.

Chux, honestly if you want the bonus stuff it will likely be available for download from a few nefarious websites, so I wouldn't worry too much about that, we live in the information super duper age.;)

Beast
08-14-2010, 04:06 PM

That said, the original trilogy is one of the very, very few movies that could make me upgrade. However, if it's only sold as a set of all six movies, screw that. The prequels aren't good enough movies for a double-dip.

Once you actually experience Blu-Ray, you'll find that it's as huge an improvement as it was when we traded up from VHS to DVD. Avatar is especially stunning on Blu-Ray. Plus it's not like one has to throw out or upgrade their entire collection. The format is backwards compatible. The age of DVD is fading, much like VHS did. Especially when you have major releases like the Alien films, Back to the Future films, and now Star Wars Saga to push sales.

If we followed your line of thought, we'd still be using Dial-Up, 8-Track Tapes, and Cartridge Video Games.

Maerj2000
08-14-2010, 04:10 PM
I would have bought this Bluray set anway but seeing that ROTJ deleted scene will have me buying this set asap! I wonder how much more will be on these sets?

The picture quality is going to rock on these as well. When I saw the SW in Concert, I oticed the high quality video on the screens behind the orchestra and kept thinking that these will be incredible on Bluray. Its cool that the ep 1 Yoda is now the better looking cg Yoda.

Time to go watch the deleted scene again!

Beast
08-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Well... known Star Wars deleted scenes:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Scenes_cut_from_Star_Wars

Just as long as Luke's ANH Intro, Camie/Fixer/Biggs/Luke, The Wampa Room, and The Sandstorm Squence are all included, I'll be giddy. Hopefully all of them they can find are. But those especially are pretty major.

sith_killer_99
08-14-2010, 04:18 PM
The original ones that are on the 2006 DVD's are non-anamorophic ports from the old Laserdisc versions. When he made the SE's, they did restore the original prints, but then it was sliced up for to be used to make the SE cuts. So it probably would require quite a lot of money to do a full-blown restoration on each one of the film's remaining original cut prints and then have it converted to digital. Plus I fully support his artistic choice of not releasing those cuts.

I understand, it's his property and he can do as he sees fit. Just as my money is my property and I will spend it as I see fit (unless required by law to spend it otherwise). I will just choose not to buy the Blu-Rays, no big deal with my Netflix account. In fact I skipped the LOTR Blu-Ray release because they didn't offer up the extended versions.

It seems I find myself more and more skipping Blu-Ray and DVD purchases in favor of my Netflix account.

El Chuxter
08-14-2010, 05:12 PM
A'ight... I went a bit overboard. I get sick of the whole shebang with blu-ray and everyone (most a bit more seriously) telling me I've got something wrong with me because I don't think it's a good idea to throw away millions of DVD players for a technology that's already obsolete itself, and that offers a "fake" (for lack of a better term) HD experience with any movie more than a couple of years old. And I'm having a supremely bad day so far.

Beast, I'm going to have to disagree with you. Honestly, aside from Pixar movies (which do look stunning), every film I've seen on blu-ray winds up looking like it was filmed using one of those crappy cameras they use for soap operas, actually a step backwards, in my opinion. I know I'm a minority, but the blu-rays I've seen (and, yes, they were properly configured on an HD TV) made movies that otherwise look great--Spider-Man and Pirates of the Carribean, most noticeably--appear to be cheap TV shows. (Avatar looked like a bad video game cut scene on both formats. Sorry, the thirty minutes or so I've seen of that movie didn't impress me one bit, visually or story-wise.)

And a more accurate comparison would be comparing 5.25" floppies to 3.75" floppies--DVD vs blu-ray isn't an actual technology change, but a way of packing more info on the same technology. :p Though I did switch from VHS to DVD more on the durability of the format than the improved picture and sound; VHS tapes tended to last about three viewings before noticeably degrading.

Anyhow, now trying to derail this. If I can get a player and the OT for less than $100, I probably will. If they replace Yoda with CG in TPM and clean up some of the shoddy CG in AOTC, I might possibly consider re-getting the prequels. I've already gotten more versions of Star Wars on home video than I can count; at some point, the re-buying just gets old.

I take that back--if they get rid of the awful new Emperor dialogue in ESB and switch Boba Fett's voice back, keeping the rest of the 1997/2004 changes, I'd buy the set in a heartbeat. Especially if they also give you the option of watching the 2004 version of ROTJ with Hayden removed. :D

Beast
08-14-2010, 05:36 PM
A'ight... I went a bit overboard. I get sick of the whole shebang with blu-ray and everyone (most a bit more seriously) telling me I've got something wrong with me because I don't think it's a good idea to throw away millions of DVD players for a technology that's already obsolete itself, and that offers a "fake" (for lack of a better term) HD experience with any movie more than a couple of years old. And I'm having a supremely bad day so far.
How do you figure that it's a "fake" HD experience?

You realize that film has a much higher resolution than even Blu-Ray is capable of replicating.

That goes for old movies as much as it does new movies. Movie film resolution is 24852970 or 14203390. And Blu-Ray, while being close to replicating the original theatrical experience is still only 19201080 on a 1080p TV.

And a more accurate comparison would be comparing 5.25" floppies to 3.75" floppies--DVD vs blu-ray isn't an actual technology change, but a way of packing more info on the same technology. :p
Once again incorrect. It's not about packing more info on the disc.

It's about being able to capture and present the most accurate theatrical representation.

VHS - 352576/480 (250 Scan Lines)
DVD - 720576/480 (500 Scan Lines)
BLU - 19201080 (1080 Scan Lines)

So as you can see, it's as much of a leap forward image wise as VHS was to DVD.

Beast
08-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Obi-Wan Kenobi: "The Special Edition Versions Are Our Last Hope."

Yoda: "No. There Is Another."

“We’ve been working on them for quite a while,” Mr. Lucas said, “but still, there are pipelines. Unfortunately, the recent releases get priority over what we call the classic versions of things.”

So he's not ruling out releasing the original versions on Blu-Ray. Just not anytiime soon.

El Chuxter
08-14-2010, 06:20 PM
How do you figure that it's a "fake" HD experience?

You realize that film has a much higher resolution than even Blu-Ray is capable of replicating.

Yes. That's mainly because film is an analog format and thus, in theory, the potential resolution is infinite. The limitations (if you can really use that word) of the resolutions are based upon the devices that are capturing and transmitting the images. However, older movies were filmed using equipment that was unable to use even the resolution possible on film today. To release any such movie in HD means either that A) no alteration has been done, and all the flaws will be painfully obvious, or B) someone has to re-create part of the image digitally. The short of it is that if you're watching, say, The Ed Sullivan Show in HD (to use an example that'd be particularly hyperbolic, and one that you can probably find on your local PBS station if they transmit in HD), it's either going to look horrible, or it's not actually The Ed Sullivan Show that aired 50 years ago. You can't clean it up for HD, you have to basically re-create it.

Once again incorrect. It's not about packing more info on the disc.

It's about being able to capture and present the most accurate theatrical representation.

VHS - 352576/480 (250 Scan Lines)
DVD - 720576/480 (500 Scan Lines)
BLU - 19201080 (1080 Scan Lines)

And how is it able to display so many scan lines, when DVD cannot, and both are discs of the same size that are "played" using a laser beam (regardless of color)? It's the amount of space available. A DVD cannot hold enough data to convey the same number of scan lines that a blu-ray can. The advantage that a blu-ray has is that the data can be stored more densely (IIRC, due to the shorter wavelength of the blue laser) on a blu-ray than on a DVD, thus allowing it to store the same movie in more detail.

The resulting quality difference is somewhat similar to saving an image as a JPG for the web vs a TIF or PSD for print--for the web, the image has to be saved in a smaller form for quick transmission and display on a wide range of monitors and, thus, has to be compressed in a manner that will result in loss of quality; the print version is usually at 300 or 600 dpi (or, in some cases, higher) and is designed for reproduction in a form that allows far more possible colors than a monitor (theoretically infinite vs millions), and has to be much, much bigger. So you can e-mail a web image easily, but the IT Department at your job might get upset if you try to e-mail an image intended for print without finding some way to compress it first.

There's also the issue of the actual display. The 72 dpi JPG might look fine if it's printed in a very small size, but is going to look like crap if it's the entire cover of a magazine. And the 300 dpi TIF has to be converted to 72 dpi for most monitors to display it, so there's no advantage to saving all the information on the other 228 dpi if the image is just going to be seen onscreen. (Vector graphics are a totally different animal, but I don't think they've got a counterpart in home video that I'm aware of.)

So, it is a matter of file size and the available space for the files. (And, also, an issue of TV size--it's going to vary depending on personal tastes, but there's a point where the TV is large enough that blu-ray is definitely the way to go. My TV isn't that big, and I've not got plans or space for a larger one.)

So as you can see, it's as much of a leap forward image wise as VHS was to DVD.

Yeah--in fact, more, depending on how you look at it, since you're essentially doubling the quality each time--but it's still an increase in the effectiveness of the same technology. The laser is a different color and therefore a different wavelength, but it's still an optical disc and a laser.

Beast
08-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Yes. That's mainly because film is an analog format and thus, in theory, the potential resolution is infinite. The limitations (if you can really use that word) of the resolutions are based upon the devices that are capturing and transmitting the images. However, older movies were filmed using equipment that was unable to use even the resolution possible on film today. To release any such movie in HD means either that A) no alteration has been done, and all the flaws will be painfully obvious, or B) someone has to re-create part of the image digitally. The short of it is that if you're watching, say, The Ed Sullivan Show in HD (to use an example that'd be particularly hyperbolic, and one that you can probably find on your local PBS station if they transmit in HD), it's either going to look horrible, or it's not actually The Ed Sullivan Show that aired 50 years ago. You can't clean it up for HD, you have to basically re-create it.
That's not how it works. All one has to do is look at films like the Wizard of Oz.

It doesn't matter how old the film is, as long as it uses actual movie film stock.

And regardless of the film stock that was used, it's still going to look better when presented in HD on BLU.

Because it's going to look more accurately like the true film, and less like video.

sith_killer_99
08-14-2010, 06:52 PM
That's not how it works. All one has to do is look at films like the Wizard of Oz.

It doesn't matter how old the film is, as long as it uses actual movie film stock.

And regardless of the film stock that was used, it's still going to look better when presented in HD.

Well...

I hear they painted the grass green for "The Sound of Music" and while it looks fine on the big screen, and DVD, in the Blu-Ray version it becomes painfully obvious.

I'm just sayin'

:laugh:

monstermaker
08-14-2010, 07:00 PM
well i'm a new guy chiming in here, but i'm happy to see the films getting a blu ray release, i thought though that lucas would have released the films again theatrically, with all new special editions for each of them, including the prequals, he's not one to miss making a buck on the movies, so i'm surprised this hasn't happened first.
as a new convert to bluray, i can see the difference in quality from dvd to blu, older films not so much unless they've been remastered, but it is an improvement, i got burnmed upgrading last time from vhs to laserdisc just as dvd came out, hopefully bluray will last a bit longer

El Chuxter
08-14-2010, 07:34 PM
I didn't say a higher resolution won't look more like the potential of film, since a higher number is, by definition, closer to infinity. I said that the resolution of an image on film is dependent upon the equipment used to capture the image.

If I took a picture in 1860, it's simply not going to be as sharp as a picture taken using the highest quality film camera available now, aside from deterioration. I can digitally touch up the picture from 1860 to make it look just as good as far as the human eye can tell, but, somewhere along the line, it ceases to be the same picture and becomes a facsimile. Even for the most minor improvement in quality, there's some judgment involved.

An old movie, even a poor-quality one, can be made to look gorgeous, but there's a point (and different people will have different opinions on where that point exists) where restoration ends and re-creation begins. That's why I said "fake HD," even if it's not the best terminology for what I meant, which is that the films weren't made in HD due to technological limitations.

Beast
08-14-2010, 09:00 PM
But they don't need to be made in HD. As they're already higher resolution than HD.

Snowtrooper
08-15-2010, 12:04 AM
Not to get off the subject, but I gotta say, that was a sweet cut scene. Its too bad they couldn't have kept that in the movie.

Beast
08-15-2010, 12:31 AM
Sorta robs the reveal of Luke's saber being launched from R2-D2 and ignited on the Skiff though.

jonthejedi
08-15-2010, 06:36 AM
I was not(am not) at CV...ROTJ scene aside...does this mean the lost Anchorhead scenes are finally being released in some format other than CD-ROM? Hope so!

Beast
08-15-2010, 06:50 AM
I was not(am not) at CV...ROTJ scene aside...does this mean the lost Anchorhead scenes are finally being released in some format other than CD-ROM? Hope so!
Most likely. They said never before seen deleted scenes would be on the set.

Snowtrooper
08-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Sorta robs the reveal of Luke's saber being launched from R2-D2 and ignited on the Skiff though.

It probably does, but I like the "I'm gonna kick Jabba's ***." feeling I get when he ignites his new lightsaber. Opinions will vary on this, of course, but I really like it and it would've been really cool seeing this in the original cut.

Beast
08-15-2010, 10:50 AM
It probably does, but I like the "I'm gonna kick Jabba's ***." feeling I get when he ignites his new lightsaber. Opinions will vary on this, of course, but I really like it and it would've been really cool seeing this in the original cut.
Well, it was apperantly a very last minute deletion. Which is why it has completed Special Effects.

DarkJedi5
08-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Well, it was apperantly a very last minute deletion. Which is why it has completed Special Effects.

Though, it seems to me that they could touch up a lot of the cut scenes. I know it's a lot of work just to clean them but they've got the sound effects ready to go, it's the score that's probably the difficult part and any audio from the set that they planned to use. Anyway, I don't own Blu-Ray but this may be what turns me to the dark side.

Bosskman
08-15-2010, 04:19 PM
I hope they fix that horrible CG Sy Snootles. I think it's too much to hope for a return of Lapti Nek, but making a new CG Sy that looks exactly like the old puppet would satisfy me a little.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-15-2010, 04:27 PM
I can see why the scene wasn't included; the film works better without it. But it is still cool. If I were creating it, I'd have had Vader's parts the same, but with Luke seen from behind building it, and cutting something with the blade (hearing it, don't show the saber's color), so it'd seem like HE had a conflict within him.

If it's ONLY on Blu-Ray, I'd have to buy a player, too, if I decided to get it. But if it's on both DVD and R-R, I'll definitely pick these up (especially if it's in a set).

Beast
08-15-2010, 05:08 PM
To be fair though, we already saw Luke's Saber during the skiff scene in the trailers.

So the scene wouldn't have really spoiled anything. Though I am glad they trimmed it.

Also don't see the problem with CGI Sy Snootles. The original puppet was bad.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-15-2010, 11:35 PM
I was at the Main Event in the actual room (as opposed to one of the broadcasts) and it was thrilling to see that scene. George announced the Blu-ray (which means I'll finally be buying a player) and then brought out Mark Hamill. Mark talked about how his original entrance in ROTJ was cut (as I saw him the previous day, discussing how his original entrance was cut from ANH as well) and about how he loved news of deleted scenes when he was younger, like the King Kong deleted scenes. Then they showed it and it absolutely blew my mind. I had heard of the scene, but there seemed to have been some debate on whether it was filmed, or still existed, or what . . . but holy hell, that was incredible.

JEDIpartner
08-16-2010, 08:20 AM
I have to get a region-free/code-free Blu-Ray player soon. I've got a lot of foreign DVDs, so I cannot just run out and grab any old model. *sigh* Time to start shopping. I guess we need to start doing that soon anyhow as my partner has ordered LOST and Battlestar Galactica on Blu-Ray anyhow.

I watched that clip that was shown at CV. Is it bad that I thought it was kinda awful? :tired:

I hope they fix that horrible CG Sy Snootles. I think it's too much to hope for a return of Lapti Nek, but making a new CG Sy that looks exactly like the old puppet would satisfy me a little.

She seemed a bit too rubbery in the 1997 version. Give the girl some bones!!!! LOL Actually, that whole scene was awful and should be excised full stop. The original version was a little more tucked into the background and not so "in your face". It's like watching the film and having someone stick a Billy Mays Oxi-Clean commercial in the middle of it.

Snowtrooper
08-16-2010, 10:22 AM
watched that clip that was shown at CV. Is it bad that I thought it was kinda awful? :tired:

Its terrible you should think that way!!!............Just kidding of course.:whip: If you hate it, thats just fine. Most people here aren't going to tell you that you have to like it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Well, as for the scene itself, I'm glad it was cut, but that may just be me saying that after being so familiar with the current ROTJ opening for so many years. I mean, it looks like it's supposed to be between the Moff Jerjerrod scene and R2-D2 and C-3PO walking to Jabba's palace, but the tone does seem strange. I wonder if there's more to it? I have to think there is.

As deleted scenes go, I'm more interested in seeing them and finding out why they were cut as opposed to judging their individual qualities.

JEDIpartner
08-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Its terrible you should think that way!!!............Just kidding of course.:whip: If you hate it, thats just fine. Most people here aren't going to tell you that you have to like it.

HAHAHAHA!

Seriously, I was sitting there waiting as Vader sat there saying, "Luke... Luke... Luke... Luke..." I was like, "yeah, you're trying to reach Luke. We get it!" :upset:

It's fine, but it is really obvious why this scene was cut. It's not that amazing and it doesn't really add anything to the story at all.

As deleted scenes go, I'm more interested in seeing them and finding out why they were cut as opposed to judging their individual qualities.

I'm interested in seeing all the cut scenes, but these are probably more chaff than wheat.

DarkArtist
08-17-2010, 02:57 PM
can't wait for these to hit on blu-ray so looking forward to seeing the rest of the deleted scenes and what other goodies they are going to be packing into the set...

would love to see that Luke/Vader scene spliced into the ROTJ....that is awesome and gives me chills everytime I see it...such a great clip:thumbsup::thumbsup:

jonthejedi
08-18-2010, 03:52 AM
ROTJ aside...does anyone know if the lost Anchorhead scenes from ANH are being included? Anyone?

Beast
08-18-2010, 06:55 AM
ROTJ aside...does anyone know if the lost Anchorhead scenes from ANH are being included? Anyone?
Most likely. After all, we got an action figure set of Camie and Fixer just recently.

JediTricks
08-18-2010, 09:50 PM
I was very excited to see that scene, it's quite interesting. I love anything to do with Luke's ROTJ lightsaber, so hearing the audience go nuts when they see it was great. That said, I TOTALLY see why this was pulled from the film. Not only does it detract from the reveal of the lightsaber later, but Vader's dialog is totally corny, "LUUUUUUKE! LUUUUUUUUUUuuuuUUUuuke!" - WTF, is he a Scooby Doo villain pretending to be a ghost?

Yes. That's mainly because film is an analog format and thus, in theory, the potential resolution is infinite. The limitations (if you can really use that word) of the resolutions are based upon the devices that are capturing and transmitting the images. However, older movies were filmed using equipment that was unable to use even the resolution possible on film today. To release any such movie in HD means either that A) no alteration has been done, and all the flaws will be painfully obvious, or B) someone has to re-create part of the image digitally. The short of it is that if you're watching, say, The Ed Sullivan Show in HD (to use an example that'd be particularly hyperbolic, and one that you can probably find on your local PBS station if they transmit in HD), it's either going to look horrible, or it's not actually The Ed Sullivan Show that aired 50 years ago. You can't clean it up for HD, you have to basically re-create it.HD is 1080x1920 resolution, anamorphic Panavision 35mm (like that used on Star Wars) is about 2485x2970 after you take into account the film grain and lens limitations. But that doesn't take into account the multi-pass processing that many of the effects shots required, each step lowering the quality and resolution. Youtube has already shown that it can deliver video in a format MUCH higher than Star Wars could deliver (the analog-shot movies or the digitally-shot ones), but since the current HD format tops out at 1080x1920, that's what Blu-Ray delivers. Since it's a high-density data delivery medium however, it is certainly not LIMITED to the current HD specs.

Honestly, this argument reminds me too much of the audiophile complaints about digital music vs. the "warmth" of analog music media (that "warmth" being the inaccuracies of the needle-to-groove format, the rest is still available either via settings or if one wants to drop the cash on the tube experience to amplify digital music.)

And how is it able to display so many scan lines, when DVD cannot, and both are discs of the same size that are "played" using a laser beam (regardless of color)? It's the amount of space available. A DVD cannot hold enough data to convey the same number of scan lines that a blu-ray can. The advantage that a blu-ray has is that the data can be stored more densely (IIRC, due to the shorter wavelength of the blue laser) on a blu-ray than on a DVD, thus allowing it to store the same movie in more detail.

The resulting quality difference is somewhat similar to saving an image as a JPG for the web vs a TIF or PSD for print--for the web, the image has to be saved in a smaller form for quick transmission and display on a wide range of monitors and, thus, has to be compressed in a manner that will result in loss of quality; the print version is usually at 300 or 600 dpi (or, in some cases, higher) and is designed for reproduction in a form that allows far more possible colors than a monitor (theoretically infinite vs millions), and has to be much, much bigger. So you can e-mail a web image easily, but the IT Department at your job might get upset if you try to e-mail an image intended for print without finding some way to compress it first.This doesn't take into account newer codecs, which Blu-Ray has that DVD has not. The Blu-Ray player is designed for more efficient codecs and with more system resources than a DVD player, and a Blu-Ray player is designed to be adaptive to change where a DVD player is a static device that never upgrades or adds new codecs.

Well...

I hear they painted the grass green for "The Sound of Music" and while it looks fine on the big screen, and DVD, in the Blu-Ray version it becomes painfully obvious.

I'm just sayin'

:laugh:I've heard that. I suspect, like the garbage mattes visible on home video versions of Star Wars, that it shows up due to a combination of resolution and an active-light medium over the passive-light medium of the movie projector bouncing off the silver screen.

I didn't say a higher resolution won't look more like the potential of film, since a higher number is, by definition, closer to infinity. I said that the resolution of an image on film is dependent upon the equipment used to capture the image.

If I took a picture in 1860, it's simply not going to be as sharp as a picture taken using the highest quality film camera available now, aside from deterioration. I can digitally touch up the picture from 1860 to make it look just as good as far as the human eye can tell, but, somewhere along the line, it ceases to be the same picture and becomes a facsimile. Even for the most minor improvement in quality, there's some judgment involved.

An old movie, even a poor-quality one, can be made to look gorgeous, but there's a point (and different people will have different opinions on where that point exists) where restoration ends and re-creation begins. That's why I said "fake HD," even if it's not the best terminology for what I meant, which is that the films weren't made in HD due to technological limitations.By that argument, you've NEVER seen Star Wars even once, only its facsimiles. Every copy you've seen, in theater or at home, is made from a master print that has never been played for the likes of you or me. In the analog days, each print made from the master was notably degraded from the original, and then would get spliced up by projectionists as it broke or wore. There's a bar you're setting really high which is unfair IMO, a lot of transfers are faithful without being Ted Turner's colorizations of It's A Wonderful Life with purple skies and blue trees.

Just because an old movie is old doesn't mean that it's being "made" gorgeous, sometimes capturing it digitally is totally true to the original. Look at these photographs as an analogy to what I'm saying:
http://gizmodo.com/5605061/unearthed-color-photos-from-depression+era-america-show-rare-glimpse-at-life
Those were taken in the early '40s and look like they could have been shot much more recently without any tampering at all.

If it's ONLY on Blu-Ray, I'd have to buy a player, too, if I decided to get it. But if it's on both DVD and R-R, I'll definitely pick these up (especially if it's in a set).I really doubt it's going to be on DVD, that medium is very limited, not enough room for the extras and the menus and such, and is being devalued by $5 DVD bins everywhere.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-18-2010, 11:16 PM
I really doubt it's going to be on DVD, that medium is very limited, not enough room for the extras and the menus and such, and is being devalued by $5 DVD bins everywhere.
I could be totally wrong, but I thought Steve Sansweet was discussing this on the Forcecast at some point after he unofficially announced this back at Comic Con or whenever it was. As I recall, he said it would also be coming on DVD, since so many people still haven't upgraded. But if it does come out that way again, I assume it'll be like The Clone Wars releases, where the Blu-Ray has more features that the DVD doesn't.

bigbarada
08-24-2010, 10:15 AM
This will probably be what finally convinces me to buy a Blu-Ray player.:yes:

It would be kind of a bummer if it's an "all or nothing" type of set where I'd have to buy all six films at once, but I'm sure that they will be available individually later on to cater to the more casual Blu-Ray consumer. All I really care about is the ROTJ cut scenes, though. Hopefully, we'll see some extra stuff from the Skiff Battle.

bigbarada
08-24-2010, 10:19 AM
So it probably would require quite a lot of money to do a full-blown restoration on each one of the film's remaining original cut prints and then have it converted to digital. Plus I fully support his artistic choice of not releasing those cuts.

Well, it's too bad that the Star Wars films never actually made Lucas any money to justify his restoration of them to their original theatrical releases.:rolleyes:

As for Lucas' artistic vision, we all know what that is: to envision himself with as much money as possible. :D So, I'm sure we'll see the original versions someday.

tagmac
08-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Well... known Star Wars deleted scenes:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Scenes_cut_from_Star_Wars

Just as long as Luke's ANH Intro, Camie/Fixer/Biggs/Luke, The Wampa Room, and The Sandstorm Squence are all included, I'll be giddy. Hopefully all of them they can find are. But those especially are pretty major.

After reading that list, if the majority (if not all) are inlcuded as extras, I will DEFINITELY buy a blu-ray player just for the set. I'd really like to think Lucas will also offer Liam Neeson whatever he wants to film his spirit talking to Yoda (even if it's just a voice-over) for the end of ROTS, a scene I maintain should have been in the movie all along.

Now, if Spielberg will have enough sense to release ET and the Indiana Jones quartet with all of THEIR deleted scenes finally included as extras, I'll be rebuying more than the trilogy to make my blu-ray player worth it!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-24-2010, 07:05 PM
I will just rent a Blue-Ray player, then. :pleased:

Rik Duel
08-24-2010, 07:50 PM
The cost of preparing the original cuts for a blu-ray has been way overstated, in the belief that people won't know any better. It actually wouldn't be more than something like The Last Starfighter or Friday the 13th Part 2. just sayin'

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-24-2010, 09:02 PM
The cost of preparing the original cuts for a blu-ray has been way overstated, in the belief that people won't know any better. It actually wouldn't be more than something like The Last Starfighter or Friday the 13th Part 2. just sayin'
From what I understand, the original master copies of the original films were changed to the Special Editions, as in, the edits were done on the original film, and not a copy of it. So repairing it to its "original" version would be more difficult than simply taking the film and slapping it on a Blu-Ray disc.

Rik Duel
08-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Oh I know, it's still not a big deal though. You don't even necessarily need the original camera negative. It's done with other, less popular movies all the time.

Turambar
09-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Still hoping to see corrections/touch-ups of things like the reverse image of Boba Fett in Jabba's palace, and adding burn marks to Jabba's thugs as Luke wiffle-bats them off the skiff (do something like anakin taking out the separatists in E3).
Not really sure there is any eash fix for AOTC.
Also, I always thought the deleted scenes from E2 & 3 added more to the stories. would be nice to see them put in to the films since we're not worried about movie length any more.

sith_killer_99
09-06-2010, 07:40 PM
I will just rent a Blue-Ray player, then. :pleased:

In that case, you can rent the discs as well, make a weekend of it.:thumbsup:

DarkArtist
09-07-2010, 12:34 PM
can;t wait to get this set on Blu-Ray..been looking forward to it ever since I got the PS3 for Christmas...

would have loved it if Lucas spliced back all of the deleted scenes back into the movie though...

can't wait to see what other extras are going to be included with the set.:thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
09-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Also, I always thought the deleted scenes from E2 & 3 added more to the stories. would be nice to see them put in to the films since we're not worried about movie length any more.

I, too, hope they fix things like the reverse negatives... and the colour of the lightsaber blades in the OT!!!!

As far as the deleted scenes go, the OT storytelling is so concise and doesn't need any tinkering (as evidenced by the inclusion of the Solo/Jabba scene in the "new" versions of A New Hope). The PT, for as much as I like ROTS, it would greatly benefit from the creation of the Rebellion scene(s). AOTC would also benefit with a re-edit of the deleted Padme scene before her arrival at Palpatine's office. The PT was so much about politics, it seems weird that they would just leave out so many of those scenes.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2011, 09:49 PM
If only we knew about this sooner...

JEDIpartner
08-03-2011, 09:35 AM
If only we knew about this sooner...

AHAHAHAHAHA!!! You funny guy! :glee:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-30-2011, 07:07 PM
I did Amazon-it the other day. Now, I just need to get a Blu-Ray player somehow...

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Costco had a good deal on a Samsung, so now I just have to wait for those discs to arrive. I should test it first, on Plunkett & Macleane first; I do not want the prize damaged.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-11-2011, 09:09 AM
I know... somehow, I've always known... that the Amazon deal wouldn't be the best. :( I could've paid the exact same price, not had "ah knew/hope" that it'd arrive safely in the mail, AND received a free t-shirt it I buy it at Best Buy this week (plus, get bonus points as a frequent [sort of] buyer there). Reckless, am I.

DarkJedi5
09-11-2011, 01:41 PM
I know... somehow, I've always known... that the Amazon deal wouldn't be the best. :( I could've paid the exact same price, not had "ah knew/hope" that it'd arrive safely in the mail, AND received a free t-shirt it I buy it at Best Buy this week (plus, get bonus points as a frequent [sort of] buyer there). Reckless, am I.

So cancel your amazon order and buy it from Best Buy, no harm in that.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-11-2011, 03:36 PM
I did just that. Felt a little (just a little) guilty, as I've never cancelled on online order on purpose before. But, I see that Target has it for $79.99, plus a free lithograph, so that may be my location instead of BB.

tagmac
09-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Don't feel bad.....I'm planning on doing the same thing, if it doesn't ship by Tuesday. Don't want to have to wait an extra week for the set to come in the mail. Just wish I knew what Wal-Mart was charging for it, as it's the only store I can get to BEFORE work.....

JEDIpartner
09-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Bored today, so I made this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/JEDIpartner/Star%20Wars/SWDVDTemplate.jpg

I figured I might as well get organised with the DVDs that need to be kept to supplement the blu-rays. Right?

Beast
09-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Very Nice! Very Nice! Nubian!!

JEDIpartner
09-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Very Nice! Very Nice! Nubian!!

AHAHAHA!! Thank you! :)

JEDIpartner
09-12-2011, 10:35 AM
One more change to the blu-rays...

Alderaan shoots first!!!!!

Naw... just kidding. ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-12-2011, 07:03 PM
I really just expect the whole 6-film saga to be faster, more intense.

JimJamBonds
09-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Bored today, so I made this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/JEDIpartner/Star Wars/SWDVDTemplate.jpgI hope you don't mind some constructive comments JP but your movie order is out of well order. Shouldn't it go I-VI not IV, V, VI, I, II, III?

cue the reply from Stilla

JEDIpartner
09-13-2011, 08:32 AM
I hope you don't mind some constructive comments JP but your movie order is out of well order. Shouldn't it go I-VI not IV, V, VI, I, II, III?

Movies first... supplemental discs second. If you actually read the list, it's the original releases of the OT, the supplemental discs that came with the original DVD releases (in order, thank you) and the miscellaneous DVDs.

Anyhow, anyone worth their salt knows the only way to truly appreciate the saga is IV, V, I, II, II, VI. LOL

;)

The contents of the Supplemental Disc DVD set are:

A New Hope (Original 1977 Theatrical Version)
The Empire Strikes Back (Original 1980 Theatrical Version)
Return of the Jedi (Original 1983 Theatrical Version)
Episode I - Supplemental Disc (from the original DVD release)
Episode II - Supplemental Disc (from the original DVD release)
Episode III - Supplemental Disc (from the original DVD release)
The Original Trilogy - Supplemental Disc (from the original DVD release)
Star Wars: A Musical Journey (from the Episode III CD Soundtrack - Bonus Disc)
The Story of Star Wars (from the Episode III DVD - Bonus Disc)
R2-D2 - Beneath the Dome

Beast
09-13-2011, 09:07 AM
I prefer I-VI myself. That way I start with the best Star Wars film and end with the 2nd Best.

JediTricks
09-13-2011, 04:05 PM
After 8 months sitting in my Amazon account waiting to ship, I've decided to cancel the order with 3 days left to go. I just cannot justify spending $80 on a further-mutilated Star Wars experience.

Amazon asked for a reason for cancellation, so I provided this:

Content has been altered since previous release in an unacceptable manner.

2-1B
09-13-2011, 05:31 PM
I decided I will go with the Target version...seems like the lithograph is the coolest exclusive. And I like the $80 price tag, compared to $10 more at Best Buy.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Movies first... supplemental discs second. If you actually read the list, it's the original releases of the OT, the supplemental discs that came with the original DVD releases (in order, thank you) and the miscellaneous DVDs.

Anyhow, anyone worth their salt knows the only way to truly appreciate the saga is IV, V, I, II, II, VI. LOL

;)Hmm... I was gonna break out the extras first. Guess I can't now. :( ;)

Imagine seeing the films in this order: IV, III, II, V, I, VI. :eek:

El Chuxter
09-13-2011, 09:24 PM
No, JP, I'd say IV - V - VI - Caravan of Courage - Battle for Endor - I - II - Tartakovsky Clone Wars - heartfelt apology that George Lucas went insane before finishing the saga. (I only included II in there because the Clone Wars make no sense without it.)

Beast
09-14-2011, 06:00 AM
Bleh. The Samurai Jack Clone Wars episodes? I can live with never seeing those again.

2-1B
09-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Me too.

But what's more concerning is that anyone could think Episode I is better than Episode II. :p And that Episode III is anything less than the best prequel movie. :wink:

AND that Caravan of Courage is better than Battle for Endor...come on Chux, how can you say that??? :(

El Chuxter
09-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Who said Caravan of Courage was better? I just said one should watch it first, so Battle for Endor makes more sense.

JEDIpartner
09-14-2011, 10:46 AM
I loathe those ewok movies.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-14-2011, 08:04 PM
JP, I think your cell phone auto-corrected the word "love" as "loathe." Happens all the time. :p

2-1B
09-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Who said Caravan of Courage was better? I just said one should watch it first, so Battle for Endor makes more sense.

Your irrational hatred of one of the top 3 SW films (ROTS) led me to believe you were ranking in order of best to worst. :p

But on a more serious note...point taken. :)

El Chuxter
09-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Teek forgives you. Teek forgives all those who peresecute him.

El Chuxter
09-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Hmm, looks like you snuck in before me, Slea.

I still think the basic story of ROTS is solid; the novelization was quite good. It's just the execution was lacking--it needed to be the best Star Wars movie of all to carry the Prequel Trilogy, and it was horribly rushed (partly due to the more or less useless Grievous subplot not only taking about half the movie, but being better than the more important half).

tagmac
09-14-2011, 11:08 PM
There was absolutely no reason for the creation of the Rebellion to be relegated to deleted scenes. And after all the hype, the Kashyyk scenes were a complete letdown. No reason there shouldn't have been a post-Order 66 scene of Yoda, Chewie, and Tarfful wasting clones.

JEDIpartner
09-15-2011, 01:35 PM
JP, I think your cell phone auto-corrected the word "love" as "loathe." Happens all the time. :p

Um.... no. I think "loathe" is correct. LOL

Cindel Brady and her stupid lisp.

El Chuxter
09-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Noa and his quest to bring oatmeal to the denizens of the Star Wars galaxy.

Beast
09-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Me too.

But what's more concerning is that anyone could think Episode I is better than Episode II. :p And that Episode III is anything less than the best prequel movie. :wink:
Heh! Well, I don't jive with a lot of people's opinions.

#1 - The Phantom Menace
#2 - Return Of The Jedi
#3 - Empire Strikes Back
#4 - Revenge Of The Sith
#5 - Attack Of The Clones
#6 - A New Hope

Though to be fair.... #3 and #4 may as well be tied for #3, since their position switches depends on mood.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Well, I made it to Target only 2 hours after it opened... and there were NO lithographs left. Oh well; I still saved $10 and have it now, rather than waiting for shipping.

I am currently looking through PT deleted/extended scenes. Nice. But weird seeing the mix-in of animated and storyboards mixed into live action.

2-1B
09-17-2011, 09:23 PM
I loved seeing the AT-AT display at Wal-Mart, and the set-ups at Best Buy were also fantastic (Artoo and TIE Fighter).

I got the Target set with free lithos, then in the evening while at Wal-Mart I bought the Lego DVD and got a free poster with it...asked for a 2nd poster for a friend and the worker didn't care, he gave me an extra. :)

I didn't buy the Best Buy t-shirt but I did buy the trilogy posters for $5 each at Wal-Mart, not a bad deal. It will cost more to frame them. :p

JimJamBonds
09-17-2011, 09:42 PM
No reason there shouldn't have been a post-Order 66 scene of Yoda, Chewie, and Tarfful wasting clones.1)I saw Yoda wasting clones on Kashyyk.
2) Tarfful is arefull. ~ J.T.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-18-2011, 06:22 PM
I noticed that "SW Tech" was included as an extra, which I have on DVD. Any idea why the History Channel's "SW: Legacy Revealed" has never been in a recorded form? Why not? :mad:

2-1B
09-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Legacy Revealed was a lot better than Tech, in my opinion. I have a bootleg I made, from my original VHS copy transferred to DVD...not very good quality, but better than nothing I guess.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-18-2011, 08:46 PM
I still have it in my DVR, able to be re-watched, but I don't have a recorder to burn it. It's good enough where it is, but I'd like a real copy with a legit package (and maybe some extras?). You know, make a purchase; buying stuff? Hello? Help the economy, people?

bobafrett
09-20-2011, 11:23 PM
A couple pictures from the Blu-Ray release at my WAl-Mart store, and yes, it is yours truely in the armor.254072540825409

JimJamBonds
09-21-2011, 07:54 PM
The Wal Mart in where I live also has that AT-AT and man does that thing look bad *****!!! Great pic's Frett!!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Very cool. The store I was in hadn't even started building it until 11:45 p.m., so it was obviously nowhere near finished at midnight. I'd like to check it out now that it's (hopefully) up.

mtriv73
09-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Great pics Frett. The first thing that popped into my mind though was, "TK421 why aren't you at your register?"

JediTricks
09-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Great pics Frett. The first thing that popped into my mind though was, "TK421 why aren't you at your register?"Oh man, that one was awesome!

bobafrett
10-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Great pics Frett. The first thing that popped into my mind though was, "TK421 why aren't you at your register?"

Thanks! I heard a lot of "Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?". I need to lose a few pounds though, I found myself buying a girdle to keep my gut in!

JimJamBonds
10-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Great pics Frett. The first thing that popped into my mind though was, "TK421 why aren't you at your register?"That is awesome!!! I'd like to nominate that for post of the year!

Beast
10-05-2011, 08:48 PM
News from Blu-Ray.Com:

Star Wars The complete Saga NA unit sales.

First week 515,000 + 2nd week 400,000 = 915,000 units in North America.

JEDIpartner
10-06-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm so glad that I discovered that the "play all" feature on bonus discs allows you select exactly what "all" you wish to play. I thought it was going to just play EVERYTHING. :sulkiness:

Beast
10-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Well, you can choose for it to play everything.

But yes, it's nice they give you a variety of opinions under Play All.

bigbarada
10-12-2011, 08:47 AM
A couple pictures from the Blu-Ray release at my WAl-Mart store, and yes, it is yours truely in the armor.254072540825409

Pretty cool! My Walmart had the AT-AT set up on release night, but within 24 hours, the "body" of the AT-AT was gone - probably got chucked in the cardboard baler. Now it's just some AT-AT legs that go up to empty space.

Anyways, did the Blu-Ray release really end up being that big of a deal? I was off work that night and didn't go in (don't own a Blu-Ray player, so there's no point in buying the set); but supposedly my store scheduled extra associates to police the lines and keep everything running smoothly. However, maybe 1 or 2 people showed up to buy the BDs at midnight and maybe a few others trickled in throughout the night. I'd be surprised if they sold 10 copies of the BDs within the first 24 hours.

Every store I go to now seems to just be overflowing with Star Wars Blu-Rays, so obviously I think there will still be plenty available even if I decide to wait a year or so to get a player.

Overall, it seems like the big Star Wars Blu-Ray release was a bust and nothing even remotely close to the excitement generated by the DVD release in 2004. I wonder if that's just because not enough people own Blu-Ray players yet or if maybe people are simply getting tired of purchasing the Star Wars films (especially when Lucas keeps making changes to the films themselves)?

DarkJedi5
10-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Overall, it seems like the big Star Wars Blu-Ray release was a bust and nothing even remotely close to the excitement generated by the DVD release in 2004. I wonder if that's just because not enough people own Blu-Ray players yet or if maybe people are simply getting tired of purchasing the Star Wars films (especially when Lucas keeps making changes to the films themselves)?

May have seemed like a bust to you but apparently the release broke every record for Bluray that there was. Check the article here (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7407).

bigbarada
10-12-2011, 01:08 PM
May have seemed like a bust to you but apparently the release broke every record for Bluray that there was. Check the article here (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7407).

Considering the newness of the format and the fact that it's Star Wars, that's hardly unexpected. However, did it meet sales projections? That's a completely different kettle of fish.

Also, those sales numbers include online pre-orders, not just the units sold at midnight on September 16th. I'm talking about the actual "midnight madness" event. Did this release compel people to show up at stores and wait in line for the BDs the way past Star Wars releases have? Like I said, our store anticipated long lines, but there were none. I'm just wondering if that was typical across the country at midnight on September 16th.

JediTricks
10-12-2011, 01:39 PM
With nearly 2000 reviews of just the blu-ray set, I am surprised to see it with just a 2.5/5 on Amazon. People REALLY don't like something about the set, and I'm betting it's the myriad of changes (although I have seen some comments that there's an aggressive digital noise reduction at play on the movies). I personally haven't experienced the set, I didn't end up buying it, and have been busy lately with other matters of a family nature.

JEDIpartner
10-12-2011, 02:53 PM
With nearly 2000 reviews of just the blu-ray set, I am surprised to see it with just a 2.5/5 on Amazon. People REALLY don't like something about the set, and I'm betting it's the myriad of changes (although I have seen some comments that there's an aggressive digital noise reduction at play on the movies).

The 2.5 actually happened long before the sets were released. A lot of the reviews were people complaining about how the OT v1.0 was not going to be on it. That's pretty much what dragged the rating into the cellar. I wrote Amazon about that since they were reviewing something that hadn't yet been released. They explained that the actual films had been released prior to this release and they were allowing people to review based on those films, not the actual set that was coming out. I didn't think it was correct for them to allow that.

Beast
10-12-2011, 03:33 PM
It's especially telling that the seperate releases have a much higher rating because of that. ;)

JEDIpartner
10-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Do they? That's funny! I think people just glommed onto the Saga release and left the other ones alone. LOL

[just went there for a look]

And it's funny that the OT rates like 3.5 stars and the PT rates a solid 4 stars.

JediTricks
10-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Do they? That's funny! I think people just glommed onto the Saga release and left the other ones alone. LOL

[just went there for a look]

And it's funny that the OT rates like 3.5 stars and the PT rates a solid 4 stars.Look at the number of votes though, the PT has a mere 200 while the OT has 10 times as many. The smaller a polling sample, the easier to get skewed info.

Beast
10-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Look at the number of votes though, the PT has a mere 200 while the OT has 10 times as many. The smaller a polling sample, the easier to get skewed info.
Not in this case, when people were posting BS 1-Star reviews long before the set was even released.

JediTricks
10-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Not in this case, when people were posting BS 1-Star reviews long before the set was even released.The OT reviews seem to cover everything from the VHS through the DVD releases, so to claim that only bogus Blu-Ray response is to blame seems short-sighted. There are 13 years of reviews in the OT listing, many of the pre-Blu-Ray ones are positive, so the run-up to the Blu-Rays but before their release is the only sampling you should be citing.

Beast
10-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Oh, I'm sure there's plenty of BS reviews there. Not just the Blu-Ray ones.

Amazon.Com's reviews just are not reliable, because there's no standards.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-21-2011, 12:43 PM
In the run-up to the Blu-ray releases, I was checking different forum sites that were posting information about the changes and bonus features. I shan't link to them due to salty language, but they were definitely huge proponents of posting 1-star reviews of the box set on Amazon to voice their extreme dissatisfaction with the changes and lack of "original" versions. The poor rating was there long before the set was released and anyone had the chance to experience the films as a whole (instead of lasering in on the changes) or the setup on a good display. Amazon should really not allow reviews until a product has actually been released and separate the different releases, but I really pay them no mind aside from this instance.

Anyway, I've been out of the country for a little bit and otherwise busy so I haven't been able to watch any more of this set. There's still SO much to watch, it's incredible.

Beast
04-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Home Media Magazine recently held their 2nd Annual Home Media Awards.

Star Wars: The Complete Saga took home 5 prestigious awards:

1. Best Box Set
2. Best Extras
3. Best Catalog Collection
4. Best Title Upgrade
5. Blu-ray Disc of the Year

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/awards/ben-hur-star-wars-top-winners-list-home-media-awards-27108

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-02-2013, 11:00 AM
It looks like the Blu-ray trilogy sets will be re-released with DVD copies of the films on October 8. Here is the prequel trilogy (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trilogy-Episodes-I-III-Blu-ray/dp/B00E9PMML2/ref=sr_1_7?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1375457805&sr=1-7&keywords=star+wars+trilogy+episodes+i-iii) and the original trilogy (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trilogy-Episodes-IV-VI-Blu-ray/dp/B00E9PMMX0/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1375453772&sr=1-3&keywords=star+wars). The only semi-interesting things about these releases seems to be the new packaging and the fact that the 2011 versions of the films will be available on DVD . . . that is, until we hear they've been changed again, or something . . .

sith_killer_99
08-02-2013, 11:21 AM
I am wondering when we will see the original theatrical release on blu-ray. I have little doubt that they will be released, there is a lot of demand for them, it's just a question of when.

Interesting that they are putting out the blu-ray versions on DVD, considering that DVD is essentially a dying format. I suppose it's an easy enough transfer with low associated costs, which makes it attractive as a revenue generator.

JediTricks
08-02-2013, 01:49 PM
It looks like the Blu-ray trilogy sets will be re-released with DVD copies of the films on October 8. Here is the prequel trilogy (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trilogy-Episodes-I-III-Blu-ray/dp/B00E9PMML2/ref=sr_1_7?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1375457805&sr=1-7&keywords=star+wars+trilogy+episodes+i-iii) and the original trilogy (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trilogy-Episodes-IV-VI-Blu-ray/dp/B00E9PMMX0/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1375453772&sr=1-3&keywords=star+wars). The only semi-interesting things about these releases seems to be the new packaging and the fact that the 2011 versions of the films will be available on DVD . . . that is, until we hear they've been changed again, or something . . .
With Lucas out of Lucasfilm, I doubt we'll see any substantive changes to the saga from this point on, beyond conversion to 5th-dimensional video or whatever silly gimmick comes next.

I am wondering when we will see the original theatrical release on blu-ray. I have little doubt that they will be released, there is a lot of demand for them, it's just a question of when.

Interesting that they are putting out the blu-ray versions on DVD, considering that DVD is essentially a dying format. I suppose it's an easy enough transfer with low associated costs, which makes it attractive as a revenue generator.There are no remaining non-SE masters of A New Hope left, so it'd have to be taken from an inferior print which is unlikely as that would require remastering and DNR which would be expensive AND unpopular. The point of the Special Editions was to salvage the master print on ANH as Fox had let that print rot away in their salt mine vault, and of that restoration we got ANH:SE.

The popular thing right now seems to be including DVD copies for the kiddies.

Tycho
08-21-2013, 03:53 AM
If I were editing a new ROTJ version with Luke's building his lightsaber scene in the film, I would do this:

Start ROTJ exactly as it begins now. After Vader tells Jerjerrod, "The Emperor is not as forgiving as I," he walks through the new Death Star II and he has ordered a private meditation chamber being built on the station as well (like his one in the Executer).

There he removes his helmet but we do not yet see Anakin's face. This must be kept under anticipation until Luke removes the helmet at the end of the movie.

However, we see the back of Vader's head, like in ESB, and then a close-up of just his eyes, closing, like he's meditating on The Force.

As he does, he has A VISION OF LUKE, and that blends into Luke constructing his saber. T

Then after Luke activates the blade, the movie continues with R2 and C-3PO moving towards Jabba's Palace.

I am also a big fan of Lapti Nek. While the new SE song has a whole new act choreographed to it, I'd restore some scenes of Oola from the original ROTJ so we see her more strongly resist Jabba before he drops her. The new footage Femi Taylor shot is then fine to use, but blend that part where she whips the chain from the original version back in, and she says in Twi'Lek something the auto-censor would block here if I wrote it in English.

Finally, while the Max Rebo Band is on the sailbarge going to the Sarlacc, they could edit back in Lapti Nek as the music and maybe mess with a little more CGI to have the band play that song on the Sailbarge.

I don't know if the sandstorm needs to be restored.

----------------------------------------------------

ESB I wouldn't mess with except change Luke's line to R2 "You're lucky you don't taste very good."

I think Veers should live. He's the most effective Imperial commander we've seen. Let them have "one guy."

Maybe put in Wiorkettle, Treva Horme, and more Cloud City aliens they originally filmed, like Utriss M'Toc.

Oh - in Palpatine's hologram, restore the original dialog from the Emperor and Vader does not say anything but "Bring my ship!" When he's going to pursue the Falcon out of Bespin, he's not interested in having a staff stand in parade assembly when his shuttle lands. Anakin's always been practical.

Add in whomever shot C-3PO on Cloud City. It should be shown.

--------------------------------------------------------

ANH - Han shot first!

If I can make it clearer for you: Han shot first! OK - there's a friggin' T-shirt that says so!

Also, let's not have Luke's lightsaber be green on the Millennium Falcon. I have no idea why they did that.

--------------------------------------------------------

ROTS - restore Mon Mothma's scene forming a resistance to Papatine in the secret meeting in Padme's office.

-----------------------------------------------------------

AOTC - restore the scenes with Padme's family and her talking to her sister and mother about Anakin's interest in her. Also restore her Geonosian trial scene. The bedroom scene where Anakin looks at Padme's pictures might be worthwhile, too.

-----------------------------------------------------------

TPM - restore the Sith probe finding Qui-Gon with Anakin on Tatooine and Qui-Gon slicing it in half before they start running.

restore the Naboo waterfall scene with the Gungan sub.

OC47151
01-12-2014, 03:48 PM
Over the last week - 10 days, I've watched the entire saga on BR. It's been a long time since I've done that, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The OT is my favorite, but I do have a new appreciation of the prequels especially since I hadn't sat down and watched them in their entirety in some time. Political intrigue is definitely at center stage, and the political events could happen in the everyday real world (and probably do; I'm not that nave.) Jar Jar is less of an annoyance. Too much dependence on technology.