PDA

View Full Version : Special Action Figure Sets

Jedi Law Student
08-15-2010, 12:37 AM
I am really excited about the vintage style Special Action Figure Sets that were revealed at CV. Apparently, it's going to be a three-pack of three-packs and a Target exclusive. The Bespin Alliance Set features Bespin Wing Guard, Lando, and Bespin Luke. The Hoth Rebels set includes Hoth Han, Hoth Rebel Trooper, and FX-7. The Imperial set features 4-LOM, AT-AT Driver, and TIE Fighter Pilot.

I'm excited for three reasons. First, I've always thought the vintage three packs looked cool, but I hardly ever come across them. When I do, they are very expensive. Second, it's a chance to get the Utris version of the Bespin Wing Guard. And third, it's the triumphant return of FX-7! Even though it was originally released back around '01, I think it's still one of the best figures in the whole modern line. While I would prefer to have the option of purchasing these sets individually, I still think this is Hasbro's best nod yet to the Kenner line. :yes:

jonthejedi
08-15-2010, 07:33 AM
Arguably all good points...but I'm passing, because it seems like yet another of Hasbro's infinite ways to jam more repacks down our throats. And as long as consumers continue to buy them, they will come.

DarkJedi5
08-15-2010, 01:28 PM
I'll be honest, had these all been army builders I might have bought a couple, now it's a pass. I mean, I see what they're trying to do but I've got all of these figures. The fact that you can only buy them all nine at a time is also a bit hard to swallow. If you just want Utris, that's 8 figures you have to buy just to get him. That's worse than the build a droid parts people complained about.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-15-2010, 04:41 PM
I passed on several of these from the Legacy line, so this may come in handy. What was the Suggested Retail Price of these 3-packs? $15.99 or less, I hope?

JediTricks
08-15-2010, 04:43 PM
I passed on several of these from the Legacy line, so this may come in handy. What was the Suggested Retail Price of these 3-packs? $15.99 or less, I hope?
It's a single boxed set of THREE 3-packs in 1 box with 3 sub-packages, so probably more like $40-$60.

mtriv73
08-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Arguably all good points...but I'm passing, because it seems like yet another of Hasbro's infinite ways to jam more repacks down our throats. And as long as consumers continue to buy them, they will come.

I'll be honest, had these all been army builders I might have bought a couple, now it's a pass. I mean, I see what they're trying to do but I've got all of these figures. The fact that you can only buy them all nine at a time is also a bit hard to swallow. If you just want Utris, that's 8 figures you have to buy just to get him. That's worse than the build a droid parts people complained about.

Both of you sum up exactly how I feel about them.

bigbarada
08-15-2010, 08:10 PM
I read that it was going to be $90-100, which would be retail suicide for this set. If they were offered as three separate 3-packs, then I would probably buy the one with the AT-AT Driver and TIE Pilot, but I don't really want all three.

Jedi Law Student
08-15-2010, 11:01 PM
I completely agree that it would have been a better idea to sell these three sets individually. I think they would be a much bigger hit that way.

I would still love to see the three-pack megapack do well because I'd love for Hasbro to do some of the ANH sets: Android Set, Creature Set, Droid Set, etc. ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2010, 12:07 AM
I read that it was going to be $90-100, which would be retail suicide for this set. If they were offered as three separate 3-packs, then I would probably buy the one with the AT-AT Driver and TIE Pilot, but I don't really want all three.
The card at the booth said $50, so I'll go with that.

It looks like a cool set, but I have all the figures and don't care too much about packaging, so I'll pass.

bkusna
08-16-2010, 10:59 AM
would you buy a snowtrooper 3 -pack, bespin guards 3-pack, or a deathstar trooper 3-pack???? i would especially if they all had unique heads.....

DarkJedi5
08-16-2010, 12:03 PM
would you buy a snowtrooper 3 -pack, bespin guards 3-pack, or a deathstar trooper 3-pack???? i would especially if they all had unique heads.....

I'm pretty much spent on Snowtroopers but if the others came with unique heads I would certainly grab them. I would do it for pretty much any army builder except for Stormtroopers and Scout-troopers since I've hit my quote for those.

dindae
08-16-2010, 10:12 PM
I hope this is a limited set. I would hate to see this choking up the isles. The only real appeal is vintage nostalgia or a good price if you wanted that particular group of figures which is unlikely. The real odd thing is the way they talk about the limited amount of real estate in the boy aisles and they take some 3packs which are fairly small and put them in this huge box force them to dedicate a three foot section.

JediTricks
08-16-2010, 10:35 PM
I have to assume this is a pretty limited set, it's got nowhere to go on store shelves and it's quite expensive.