PDA

View Full Version : My very own Hasbro interview from CV

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2010, 01:36 AM
I just got back from Celebration V a few hours ago. It was a fantastic experience all around, taking the best parts of previous events and making them even better. There was a ton of great stuff, but one of the highlights for me was getting to talk to the Hasbro Star Wars team for a fairly good amount of time.

First off, I had been talking with a close friend a few weeks ago about how, as it turns out, one of his aunt's best friends is Vickie Stratford, who works as the brand manager (I believe) for the Hasbro SW team. So I talked to her and told her about it, she was very nice and confirmed this, which was just insane. The friend and I have been talking, then, about maybe doing a trip up to Rhode Island for a tour of the Hasbro HQ, which she said she could definitely coordinate. We talked for a while, about this, the SW line, and other various things.

She directed some of my questions more to other members of the team, especially Derryl Depriest, Brian Merten Parrish, and Andrew (not sure of the last name, but he works on packaging and some Clone Wars stuff, apparently), so I spent most of the time asking them questions. They were extremely helpful and very kind, returning to me if they needed to turn away to help someone else. I told them I was a fan and that I appreciated the interview he did with JediTricks as well as the Q&A program in general, and told them that my questions often get submitted here and they said this site has very tough but fair and insightful questions, which they seemed to like. I also said a few times that I didn't want to come off as nitpicky, even though some of my questions were about small details.

I wrote down questions that morning as we were in line for the Lucas-Stewart interview, so everything was off the top of my head, though I tried to do some stuff about various areas of the line, but mostly just things I myself wanted to know and haven't asked through the Q&A. What follows is not an exact transcript, as I didn't have any recording devices. I'm going off of my notes that I wrote before, so it's not necessarily in order of how I asked it, not that that really matters anyway. I'll break it up by question, so here we go . . .

*I told Derryl that I was a fan of the TVC Vader, but that I'd really like to see is this mold with the right hand removable properly as it is in ROTJ. Derryl said that they likely won't do that specific feature unless it's a dedicated final duel version of the character. He also said that a lot of fans have been asking about an update to the Dagobah version. I told him I thought the old one is fine, but he said he felt the sculpt was too bulky and that they could do better now.

*I brought up the battle droids not being able to hold the blaster with both hands; I was talking to Andrew at this point, so I realize now that he probably thought I was talking only about the Clone Wars version. He mentioned the Firefighter Droid's extra articulation and said it would be something to look at on future versions.

*I didn't attend the panel but I noticed the new Kit Fisto in the booth, saw that it was a ROTS version among an AOTC wave, and asked some questions about that. They said it got pushed back from a previous ROTS wave and that it was coming on an AOTC card, apparently with the Force-push image as the cardback. There seemed to be a bit of discussion between them at that moment about whether it should come on a ROTS card since it's technically a ROTS version (given the head sculpt) so I'm not sure what the final one will now be (though if it's ROTS, you can thank me :D ). I asked about the possibilities of a smiling Kit with the smiling image on the card, or at least maybe getting the smiling image on this one's card, but Andrew said the image they had for that was blurry and Derryl said it wouldn't be happening for a while.

*About the Fans' Choice poll, Derryl said that there are seven figures coming from this one, and Brian said that most (if not all) of those seven were already in some stage of development when the poll came out. They said they looked at the poll as mostly confirming that they were already on the right track as far as figures go.

*Tied to that, I asked about Jocasta Nu. They said she won't ever be coming, unless she wins the poll (or, as Brian said half-jokingly, if she ever becomes younger and more attractive :p ). They seem pretty dead-set on never making her, so there's that.

*I also asked about my boy Cliegg, and told Derryl that, after re-watching AOTC, I noticed that the hoverchair isn't actually that bulky. He said he actually hasn't looked at it too much, but that it definitely wouldn't fit on the vintage card, and that basically the only option would be to put him into a multi-pack but that there aren't many battle pack options for him. I suggested a Tusken Raider attack set, half-jokingly.

*While talking to Vickie, I asked about the possibility of a vintage-carded Owen using the body from the Visionaries pack, but she said she couldn't talk too much about upcoming products.

*As far as the Ralrra and Noghri comic pack that we saw an image of a long time ago, they said it was sculpted but never tooled, and the tooling would be so expensive that they'd have to charge around $25 per set so it's never going to happen. But he said to support the Entertainment Earth comic packs if we want to see any more.

*Having been to Disney World a few days prior, and with Star Tours all over the place, I asked about doing any more figures from the current/old ride now that it's closing, or about re-releasing the extremely hard-to-find final wave of droid figures from a few years ago. Derryl said that Disney actually comes up with the ideas for their exclusives and presents them to Hasbro, not the other way around, so Hasbro has basically no control of what goes into the line. It sounds like the opposite of their other exclusive partnerships with stores, where they present their ideas to the retailers. He said that, since the old one is closing, there's virtually no chance of any more stuff from there.

*I did say, though, that I loved the Star Tours Boarding Party, particularly Ree-Yees' camera. Derryl said he doesn't like the sculpt on the figure, and Andrew said that if/when they make a new Ree-Yees, he'll be able to hold the camera.

*I asked about the use of VOTC Hans skinny legs on the Echo Base Han figure. Brian said that, due to costing, they had to use the existing legs, and he seemed happy with them, saying that Harrison Ford really was quite skinny. The other guys mentioned that many fans have expressed displeasure with those legs, and didn't seem to be fans of them themselves. Derryl looked at his computer and confirmed that the 2011 Bespin Han will be 100% all-new, so hopefully they'll be better.

*Noticing that the Quinlan Vos figure wasn't with the other Clone Wars figures, I asked Vickie how much Lucasfilm lets them reveal. She said she'd describe their relationship as a partnership, and that Lucasfilm does indeed sometimes tell them when they can or can't release a figure, but didn't mention specifics.

*Ewoks! On the Kneesaa issue (and the "k" is indeed silent, at least according to them), it's actually tied more to Lucasfilm. Brian told me that LFL was fine with them making a realistic Kneesaa based on the animated character, and then changed their minds and said they wanted to stay away from that, so Hasbro pulled her from the Wicket two-pack. LFL later came back and said they picked out a light-furred Ewok from ROTJ to be the "actual" Kneesaa, telling Hasbro to base it on that version and that they could include accessories to make her look like both the on-screen and cartoon versions of the character. By that time, however, it was too late to get her back in the set, even though now they do indeed have the go-ahead.

*As for the Ewoks from the exclusive sets mentioned in the Q&A, it sounds like they had to break up the sets and they're now looking at releasing the Ewoks in other ways. Brian said they're likely to go with the more interesting-looking ones first, or the ones with more accessories to round out the figure.

*I asked Andrew about getting more astro droids into the Clone Wars line to pilot the multiple Jedi starfighters that are already out or on their way, and he said they're working on getting them out there but it sounds like they don't have anything specific planned after R4-P17.

*The new Wedge isn't just the figure from the Target X-wing set, but may or may not be the same body (it's an existing one, at any rate). The head sculpt was all-new, but as they've said, they has issues with the ball joint coming out wrong and they wanted to wait to release him and do it right instead of having to go back to fix it later.

*That said, I asked about which figure would be replacing Wedge in the case pack. They said it wouldn't be anything new, and wouldn't be a second Gamorrean Guard as they can't run two toolings of him right now, but they didn't know what would be replacing him (and it almost sounds like this slipped their mind completely).

*People have been asking about Fordo a lot, and they recently confirmed that he's coming as a generic clone, but they also showed the Clone Wars ARC Trooper battle pack with one who looks a lot like the phase I version. They said that Fordo is still indeed coming in the realistic line, but that he'll be coming with extra parts like a helmet and belt so that he can go from a generic ARC or clone trooper to the specific Fordo, with LFL telling them to name him ARC Trooper Fordo or something similar.

*I asked about why specifically LFL won't allow microseries stuff right now, they basically re-confirmed that LFL didn't want to take the focus off of the current series and animated line or confuse people. So, as with the Disney thing, it's not really up to them. I asked about ever doing more from the microseries, and they said not for a long, long time.

*I had remembered hearing about a redone or spruced-up OT Y-wing for a few years now, but never got anything concrete on it. Derryl said that they're working with a retailer on getting it out, but the retailer hasn't greenlit it yet or even seen everything that it's going to offer yet but they're still trying to get it out there.

*The new C-3PO in the Vintage Collection is smaller, and they confirmed that it was indeed a conscious decision to make it more in-scale. I asked about using it on other protocol droids, but they said that it's such a C-3PO-specific sculpt that we're not likely going to see it used on others any time soon. Brian also said that this one was done with the removable panels to potentially double as an AOTC version, but I'm not sure if he meant that's what it was supposed to be, or if that's a possibility for down the road.

*I pointed out that I loved the details on the uncovered C-3PO, and said that a new TPM C-3PO done in the same style could be really cool. Brian said that they probably won't do one since the deco is far too complicated and intricate and would be a killer.

*They also said that the new R2-D2 was done to be more in-scale, and I asked, as with C-3PO, if this was going to be the new size standard. Brian nodded yes, but Derryl said he didn't want half of his droid collection to be one size and have the new ones be another, and that he didn't want to redo the ones they've already made. So it seems like they haven't yet decided.

*I told Brian that I know he's likely tired of people asking about the Sail Barge, so I asked what it would take to get it made. I asked about perhaps putting it in several episodes of The Clone Wars, and he said seeing it featured significantly in about two or so wouldn't hurt. I know Jabba will be in Season 3, so I guess we'll have to see.

So, not exactly the hardest-hitting questions around, but I was glad to be able to ask about some smaller things I'd been wondering about and to clear up some misconceptions in person with them. It was really fun to get to do this, and to talk with Derryl and Vickie for a while about things not pertaining directly to the line. Derryl said he reads the boards, so I told him who I was on here, so hopefully I haven't screwed this up too much. :p

Dark Marble
08-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Awesome! thank you for doing that, it was very informative to read. The burning question on my mind of course is if they plan on releasing a Clone Wars/AOTC Slave I on its own any time soon or if the box set will be our only option.

It will be interesting to see if the Sail Barge ever gets made. I would go after one but I can't really ever see it being a big seller...

Snowtrooper
08-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Good job on the interview JJL. :thumbsup: I was particularly curious about the current status of the new Y-Wing.

bkusna
08-16-2010, 12:06 PM
the newly sized R2's will be very interesting...if you put the NEW 3p0 next to the existing R2's it looks ridiculous...The R2 units are HUGE.....can't wait to see the smaller droid units

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks! I had another update about which I forgot.

*While talking about the Ralrra/Noghri comic pack, they also talked about the comic packs line in general. Apparently, it was taking resources away from other areas of the line. They said they had to rest it for a while in 2007 (though they might have meant a different year as it seemed to go away and come back often) to refocus on other things, which hurt the line. Brian also regrets having to repack so many older sets, as he feels that hurt it a lot, but Derryl feels it was necessary to support and continue the line. Derryl mentioned that most of the repacked sets were the Marvel ones, which were the highest-selling ones, but Brian countered by saying it was due to the inclusion of main characters like Vader more than anything else. As I said, they stressed that buying the Entertainment Earth packs is key in seeing any more, but it seems like the future direction of the line after that is unclear.

El Chuxter
08-16-2010, 06:19 PM
As I said, they stressed that buying the Entertainment Earth packs is key in seeing any more, but it seems like the future direction of the line after that is unclear.

So, four overpriced sets, one of which is KOTOR, which I never cared for; one of which is Legacy, which I can't stand and would gladly endanger the space-time continuum with time travel to erase from existence; one of which is two more frickin' Fett repaints as random Mandaloreans; and the other is actually marginally interested.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2010, 06:44 PM
So, four overpriced sets, one of which is KOTOR, which I never cared for; one of which is Legacy, which I can't stand and would gladly endanger the space-time continuum with time travel to erase from existence; one of which is two more frickin' Fett repaints as random Mandaloreans; and the other is actually marginally interested.
Well, they wouldn't exist if they weren't exclusives, which always means being more expensive. Don't buy them if you don't like them. What else did you want out of the line, anyway, that would necessitate supporting it?

JediTricks
08-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Cool interview, John!

You have the wrong Brian listed though, Merten wasn't there as he had a schedule conflict, and he isn't the decision-maker for some of the stuff you have discussed. You were talking with Brian Parrish, figure designer and the guy who designed the new AT-AT.

The updates to the Y-wing is something Merten mentioned at SDCC last year as an exclusive, I believe, so it wasn't too far back.

I dunno why, but I can't picture Vickie as an aunt, she's always just seemed too... I dunno, too young, even though she's probably around my age and I'm an uncle.

clone157
08-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Good questions! And don't listen to Chuxter, I think this is one of the best assortments for comic packs offered in the last few waves, and am still upset about them being nixed. But I now have hope for the future. I still think they should have done a YVH droid and Vong Warrior pack, talk about an army builder!

Darth Metalmute
08-16-2010, 08:58 PM
While talking about the Ralrra/Noghri comic pack....

They are making a Noghri pack? That is great. Great job on getting a audience with Hasbro!

Good questions! And don't listen to Chuxter, I think this is one of the best assortments for comic packs offered in the last few waves, and am still upset about them being nixed. But I now have hope for the future. I still think they should have done a YVH droid and Vong Warrior pack, talk about an army builder!

I got to agree with Chuxter on this one. I will not buy any comic packs that
are not post-OT EU. A YVH droid and Vong Warrior are a great idea.

I can't believe how many Legacy figures they have made compared to the Zahn trilogy comics. I don't care for Legacy at all. I would love to see more Zahn comic inspired packs. Like:

Pregnant Leia - Noghri
Smuggler Wedge - Ghent
Captain Pelleaon - Garm Bel Iblis
Joruus C'Boath - Luuke Skywalker

El Chuxter
08-16-2010, 09:28 PM
I'd just like a range of stuff that's close to the movie time-frame without being reissues of redos of stuff we've gotten. Here's one Legacy set, from, what, 150 years after ROTJ, and one KOTOR set, 10,000 years before TPM? There are two that are within the movie era, and one of these is just another of those "slap a new paint scheme and maybe a new head on a Fett figure" Mandalorean sets they love to do because they're cheap.

Just some more range rather than sticking so fully to Legacy and KOTOR, is all I ask. But at Entertainment Earth prices, I dunno if it's worth it for just one set.

Then again, it is Ysard....

JediTricks
08-16-2010, 10:06 PM
You guys have to know that it's largely about what's hot right now, what's on the majority of fans' minds, even when it came to Comic Packs. Personally, I don't give a crap when they came from so long as they're cool figures. The line produced some lame figures from the OT-era EU, some cool figures from the PT-era EU, and those other eras forward and back as well. But there were some pretty lean times in there too where they didn't make a single figure that enticed me for 2 or 3 waves at a time, and I think ultimately that's what killed the line, it's sometimes slim pickings, hard to know what will get people going.

I fixed the Merten/Parrish issue in a quick way, hope you don't mind. That way Steve could post a link to the thread in the news. :)

El Chuxter
08-16-2010, 10:39 PM
You guys have to know that it's largely about what's hot right now, what's on the majority of fans' minds, even when it came to Comic Packs.

With the current level of comic readership, I doubt most collectors have any idea who any of the Legacy losers are. Whereas everyone, even BigBarada and Slicker, know the Timothy Zahn stuff.

JediTricks
08-16-2010, 11:25 PM
With the current level of comic readership, I doubt most collectors have any idea who any of the Legacy losers are. Whereas everyone, even BigBarada and Slicker, know the Timothy Zahn stuff.
That's ludicrous, Legacy is the second-highest selling title at Dark Horse. Not "of Star Wars", of everything they make.

Meanwhile, the Zahn trilogy comics are almost 20 years old at this point, and at spots they're an odd interpretation of the books - I for one don't agree with their designs for the Bothans or the Noghri as described in the books. And those stories aren't known in the fandom for their comics, they're known for their books.

And they did figures from it anyway: Luke & Mara, Karrde & Thrawn, and Borrsk Fey'lya. Not everything is about what we personally want, but we did get some consideration, 2 sets and another figure that's from there as well. How many Legacy sets did we get? 3, with 1 more on the way. Ooh, wow, look at them just FLOODING the line! :rolleyes: Republic, Empire, and Rogue Squadron are far, far worse offenders in the Comic Packs line that always seemed to sell weaker despite being movie-era stories, yet nobody is chasing them out of the village with pitchforks and torches. It's cheap to demonize Legacy.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Cool interview, John!

You have the wrong Brian listed though, Merten wasn't there as he had a schedule conflict, and he isn't the decision-maker for some of the stuff you have discussed. You were talking with Brian Parrish, figure designer and the guy who designed the new AT-AT.

The updates to the Y-wing is something Merten mentioned at SDCC last year as an exclusive, I believe, so it wasn't too far back.

I dunno why, but I can't picture Vickie as an aunt, she's always just seemed too... I dunno, too young, even though she's probably around my age and I'm an uncle.
Thanks!

I wasn't sure which Brian it was, but I talked to the same guy at CIV as well, and I'm not sure where the confusion in my mind came from as I think I remember having him identified as Brian Parrish then. Oh well, thanks for the correction.

To clear it up, Vickie isn't my friend's aunt, she's my friend's aunt's friend, though she does have a few kids herself, one of whom my friend played with in their younger days. It was almost surreal hearing her talking about my friend and his sister, even using a nickname for her that I've known for years. :p

They are making a Noghri pack? That is great. Great job on getting a audience with Hasbro!
Well, as I said, it's actually not coming. A tiny image of it was released some months back as part of a packaging mock-up, listed on the back of a comic pack card along with Marvel Luke with R2-D2 and Camie with Fixer.

Even though I myself don't like Legacy, I do know that a lot of folks do. I told the team that I'm not a huge EU fan at all, and that while I like the figures, I'm just not huge into the source material. When I started to express my disinterest in the EU, Derryl covered Vickie's ears. :p I seem to recall him saying to wait about ten years for them to make more EU, but it was kind of in passing so I'm not sure.

Oh, and thanks for linking to it on the main page, that's awesome!

Another thing - I asked Brian about the possibility of a C-3PO from the end of ESB, with the blast mark and appropriate removable parts, similar to a question in the Q&A thread. It seemed like they hadn't considered it yet or even really knew about the differences, so hopefully it's on their radar now.

El Chuxter
08-17-2010, 01:01 AM
I was referring to overall comic readership. A strong-selling indie gets into about 10,000 territory, IIRC. Contrast that with sales of almost anything from 10-20 years ago.

Take out the lazy repaint sets and Legacy seems to be getting an extra-heavy share of the pot, considering that this is the only avenue (whether we like the designs) where we're likely to see all sorts of major EU characters like Palleon, Daala, Nomi Sunrider, or a Noghri.

Darth Metalmute
08-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Well, as I said, it's actually not coming. A tiny image of it was released some months back as part of a packaging mock-up, listed on the back of a comic pack card along with Marvel Luke with R2-D2 and Camie with Fixer.

Sorry, I misread it. I thought it was odd considering they were shelfing the line.

bigbarada
08-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Nice job! :thumbsup:

I love how Hasbro is holding their ground against making Jocasta Nu. :D

That's also cool news about Kneesa (the "k" has always been silent, just watch any episode of the Ewoks cartoon). Maybe they will stick her on a card and that can count as one of the EU releases.

Blue2th
08-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Cool JJ.

They are pretty much re-confirming hands off the Micro-series for a while. I can understand the not wanting to confuse people, and LFL's control of the issue.

Another Captain Fordo I guess is an exception though hmm. Sure wish they'd have opted for the Phase 2 armor Fordo instead.

I seem to remember JT submitting a very detailed and unconfusing question regarding him and the Arc Pilot, and getting a "we'll consider it" or "maybe slip a Micro Series character in from time to time" (like they've done a few times) or something to that effect.

Thanks for asking though.

JediTricks
08-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks!Sure thing.

I wasn't sure which Brian it was, but I talked to the same guy at CIV as well, and I'm not sure where the confusion in my mind came from as I think I remember having him identified as Brian Parrish then. Oh well, thanks for the correction.Well, now you know! I know what you mean, it's tough, especially not too long ago there were 3 Brians on the team.

To clear it up, Vickie isn't my friend's aunt, she's my friend's aunt's friend, though she does have a few kids herself, one of whom my friend played with in their younger days. It was almost surreal hearing her talking about my friend and his sister, even using a nickname for her that I've known for years. :pAh, righto.

Oh, and thanks for linking to it on the main page, that's awesome!Sure thing!

Another thing - I asked Brian about the possibility of a C-3PO from the end of ESB, with the blast mark and appropriate removable parts, similar to a question in the Q&A thread. It seemed like they hadn't considered it yet or even really knew about the differences, so hopefully it's on their radar now.I had Steve ask that of Derryl in our interview, will be going up in a few minutes.

I was referring to overall comic readership. A strong-selling indie gets into about 10,000 territory, IIRC. Contrast that with sales of almost anything from 10-20 years ago.I don't remember DH's sales on that era being so great, Dark Empire's numbers weren't so big. The '90s were pretty low readership in general, weren't they?

Take out the lazy repaint sets and Legacy seems to be getting an extra-heavy share of the pot, considering that this is the only avenue (whether we like the designs) where we're likely to see all sorts of major EU characters like Palleon, Daala, Nomi Sunrider, or a Noghri.Baloney. Legacy had 3 sets in the main line, that's not excessive. You know what's excessive? 8 sets from Republic! That's excessive. There are also 4 sets from Empire, and 5 sets from Rogue Squadron. Heck, I don't hear you complaining about the 3 sets from Star Wars Tales, that's the same number as Legacy.

I love how Hasbro is holding their ground against making Jocasta Nu. :DAgreed.

Cool JJ.

They are pretty much re-confirming hands off the Micro-series for a while. I can understand the not wanting to confuse people, and LFL's control of the issue.

Another Captain Fordo I guess is an exception though hmm. Sure wish they'd have opted for the Phase 2 armor Fordo instead.

I seem to remember JT submitting a very detailed and unconfusing question regarding him and the Arc Pilot, and getting a "we'll consider it" or "maybe slip a Micro Series character in from time to time" (like they've done a few times) or something to that effect.

Thanks for asking though.Oct 23rd of last year:

CollectionStation.com: We know you designed the first Evolutions Clone Pilot figure's deco around the Battle of Hypori Rancor-tooth Republic Gunship (TRU-exclusive, 2006) originally seen in Clone Wars micro series chapter 21, but the actual pilot in the episode has significant deco differences, as well as a rangefinder on the helmet, because he's an ARC Pilot. It seems like the wind has gone out of the realistic-line's sails in terms of Clone Trooper variants lately, and while we dig that you're looking to do a Fordo figure, not to mention the Heavy Gunner figure you already made was from that same CW chapter, it seems like a good addition to the line to also do an ARC pilot. You don't have to say "Clone Wars" anywhere on the packaging to avoid confusion with The Clone Wars line. So what are the chances of seeing an ARC Pilot figure? If poor, what specific factors are the holdup for something like this? If it's just Clone Wars cross-pollination concerns, why isn't just releasing the figures without mention of their origin enough of a solution?
Hasbro: We hadn't thought about that one in a while - thanks for the reminder. There aren't really issues with doing an occasional figure here or there (like Fordo) in the Legacy line, especially when they involve Clones. We like the idea of an ARC Pilot (if that grooves with Lucasfilm). If we do trigger this one, it will be a while before it comes out, simply due to lead times and finding a slot for him. Thanks for the suggestion.

Blue2th
08-17-2010, 11:28 PM
...aha thar it is. An occasional figure...especially when they involve clones.

Thanks for the clarification JT. They are not being inconsistent.

They were looking to do a Fordo in Phase 2 then. Wonder what happened?

A correct Phase 1 Fordo is kind of a rarity anyways, so I would understand why they might want to put out another.

That pilot would be cool someday too.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-18-2010, 12:18 AM
...aha thar it is. An occasional figure...especially when they involve clones.

Thanks for the clarification JT. They are not being inconsistent.

They were looking to do a Fordo in Phase 2 then. Wonder what happened?

A correct Phase 1 Fordo is kind of a rarity anyways, so I would understand why they might want to put out another.

That pilot would be cool someday too.
I guess I wasn't clear enough. They're doing a phase II Fordo, with additional accessories to make him a more generic trooper as well.

El Chuxter
08-18-2010, 01:45 AM
I agree that Republic was overdone, but at least it directly connected to the Prequel era with the crap-ton of Clonetroopers and PT Jedi figures.

I dunno about Dark Empire per se, but the early 1990s were one of the highest periods of comic distribution since the Golden Age. Since there were fewer SW comics at the time, and Marvel was (temporarily, at least) non-canon, the stuff got referred to a lot more in other media.

Blue2th
08-18-2010, 08:56 AM
I guess I wasn't clear enough. They're doing a phase II Fordo, with additional accessories to make him a more generic trooper as well.

Yeah, I didn't read that in there:

*People have been asking about Fordo a lot, and they recently confirmed that he's coming as a generic clone, but they also showed the Clone Wars ARC Trooper battle pack with one who looks a lot like the phase I version. They said that Fordo is still indeed coming in the realistic line, but that he'll be coming with extra parts like a helmet and belt so that he can go from a generic ARC or clone trooper to the specific Fordo, with LFL telling them to name him ARC Trooper Fordo or something similar.

...but that is indeed good news if so. Thanks for the clarification. ;)