PDA

View Full Version : Boss Nass

stillakid
03-01-2002, 11:26 PM
Okay, so this is a little late, but I just recently found time to pull some "older" figures out and I put the Episode I Boss Nass next to the later sculpt of him. What's with the ridiculous size/scale difference? Anybody know? Thanks.

Beast
03-01-2002, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Okay, so this is a little late, but I just recently found time to pull some "older" figures out and I put the Episode I Boss Nass next to the later sculpt of him. What's with the ridiculous size/scale difference? Anybody know? Thanks.
Just another case of Hasbro not getting proper height info or comparison picture information from Lucasfilm. Same thing that happened with "Snaggletooth" in the vintage line. All they got was some headshots of the charecter and some design photos and they went from there. Thankfully the travesty of the E1 Boss Nass was fixed with the sweet looking POTJ figure of him. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
03-01-2002, 11:33 PM
So #2 is the "correct" one. Thanks! Maybe I can put lashes on #1 so the Boss has a little Mrs. Nass to cuddle up to.

squee666
03-02-2002, 01:26 AM
I know the first scult isn't height accurate, but I have to say i like it better than the second one. The arms just really look goofy on the potj figure, and he has that goofy grin.

LTBasker
03-02-2002, 02:43 AM
Boss Nass did have a goofy grin, plus his arms are supposed to be when he was holding that ball, but they didn't make the ball. :(

Beast
03-02-2002, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Boss Nass did have a goofy grin, plus his arms are supposed to be when he was holding that ball, but they didn't make the ball. :(
Exactly, to bad they didn't make the figure in the new combined line instead of POTJ. There is plenty of room in the new bubbles for them to include the "Globe of Peace". Maybe when we finally get a Celebration Amidala it will include it. Hopefully Hasbro realizes how much us fans want the E1 Celebration Amidala, and we will see her next year. Til then, maybe I'll see if can find a big glass marble that will work. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
03-02-2002, 03:24 AM
Hmm, marbles don't come big enough, best I'd suppose would be a ping pong ball if you could make it clear and then cut a whole in it (but reseal it after of course) to put some sort of energy thing in.

Beast
03-02-2002, 03:45 AM
Hmm, marbles don't come big enough, best I'd suppose would be a ping pong ball if you could make it clear and then cut a whole in it (but reseal it after of course) to put some sort of energy thing in.
Man, they really screwed marbles up then. They used to have large sized ones, I know I still have a few around here. LOL, I wonder where in stores you can actually go and find marbles anymore. Since I don't think kids now a days even play with marbles anymore. God, I feel old again. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

evenflow
03-02-2002, 08:35 AM

I like the second one much better, and i think it is much more accurate than the first. I do wish they would have included the Globe of Peace. Why couldn't they just make the ball?:( :mad:

187-Maul
03-02-2002, 09:59 AM
anybody knows where I can find a comparison pic of the two boss nass' - maybe somebody could make one and send it
just for a reference pic

Jek Porky 2002
03-02-2002, 10:28 AM
Actually this figure is not meant to be from the celebration scene, that's why it's called Boss Nass (Gungan Sacred Place), I always postition his hands so that they infront of his chest and I think it looks alot like when he is giving that speech to the Naboo people, and actually thinking about it, this is a great and highly under rated figure, to me it looks the most realistic, appart from the Eeth Koth figure, of all the Power Of The Jedi.

Beast
03-02-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
Actually this figure is not meant to be from the celebration scene, that's why it's called Boss Nass (Gungan Sacred Place), I always postition his hands so that they infront of his chest and I think it looks alot like when he is giving that speech to the Naboo people, and actually thinking about it, this is a great and highly under rated figure, to me it looks the most realistic, appart from the Eeth Koth figure, of all the Power Of The Jedi.
Yeah, but it works for both scenes. I don't think it's that's under rated, alot of people made a big deal about it when it first came out. I forget what magazine it was, but in one of the collecting magazine's they were talking about that this was actually the first Real Scan figure tests. That's why it looks so realistic, they actually realscanned a maquette of the Boss, and produced used that a model for the artists. I really wish I could remember what magazine that was in. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

PloKoon2385
03-02-2002, 02:34 PM
They didn't make the ball but that gives them one more reason to make a Queen Amidala in her white celebration gown. Ah... to dream...:rolleyes:

Jargo
03-02-2002, 03:59 PM
Why in tarnation would they need to do a scan of the maquette if the boss is a CGI character with a wire frame and a'skin' over the top? They'd just send the dimensions to the scan computer and use the resin solids molding technique as per realscan.
Jarjar, your theory sounds bogus to me. But anyway, he's supposed to be holding his hands to his hips. He's sculpted leaning ever so slightly backwards like he's laughing. "Yousa no tinin' yousa better than da goongans, meesa tinkin' weesa bein' - friends" That's where they got the sculpt idea from. the fact that he could hold the globe of peace is secondary to his design and also the reason he wasn't packed with one. But you've seen the way they do energy blasts and electro bolts in that horrible blue plastic splurge. how in Lucas' name would they achieve a globe of peace correctly? it'd have to have some sort of mad sculpted electro thingy inside which would mean a big molding join that would ruin it, or they'd just paint onto a solid claer plastic ball which would look equally crap.

I think buying a glass marble from a glass merchants or old fashioned toy store would be the best thing. but those big marbles are awful heavy. What about a rubber bouncy ball made of clear rubber with all those air bubbles inside? other than that I'm stumped for ideas.

Beast
03-02-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by PloKoon2385
They didn't make the ball but that gives them one more reason to make a Queen Amidala in her white celebration gown. Ah... to dream...:rolleyes:
You know they will make her sooner or later. After all we got a figure of Princess Leia: Celebration a couple years ago. I assume they are gonna make one of Queen Amidala in the similar outfit. Probably won't happen til maybe late 2003, but I'm sure it will happen. After all, we finally got her Theed Gown and Black Travel Gown versions last year. :)

Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I think buying a glass marble from a glass merchants or old fashioned toy store would be the best thing. but those big marbles are awful heavy. What about a rubber bouncy ball made of clear rubber with all those air bubbles inside? other than that I'm stumped for ideas.
Yeah, but Boss Nass is pretty heavy also, so hopefully the weight would balance out on him. The rubber bouncy ball is a good idea, if the marble is to heavy. I used to have one that probably would work good. Hmm, do they even make those either? Kids now a days don't play with stuff like that anymore. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
03-02-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Why in tarnation would they need to do a scan of the maquette if the boss is a CGI character with a wire frame and a'skin' over the top? They'd just send the dimensions to the scan computer and use the resin solids molding technique as per realscan.
Jarjar, your theory sounds bogus to me.

Well, I can think of a number of reasons why it would be easier to RealScan a maquette than to use a 3D model from ILM.

1. Who says that Gentle Giants RealScan computers could process a model from ILMs software? They might not be compatible.

2. If they could use a wireframe from ILM, the computer people at Gentle Giant would have to pose the model in the computer before they could create a mold. It might have been much easier for them to just scan the maquette.

I don't know if any of these possibilities are true, I'm just saying there are plenty of reasons why they couldn't or wouldn't do it the way you suggest Jargo.

Turbowars
03-02-2002, 06:59 PM
Speaking of Boss Nass, if he's a gungan then why does JarJar look so different. I know Nass is fat, but still his features are soooo different. You know the under water thing was lame, one hell of a water hole and so was Nass, he acted like he was retarded, sorry guys, I guess I will never get use to EP1.

Beast
03-02-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
Speaking of Boss Nass, if he's a gungan then why does JarJar look so different. I know Nass is fat, but still his features are soooo different. You know the under water thing was lame, one hell of a water hole and so was Nass, he acted like he was retarded, sorry guys, I guess I will never get use to EP1.
There are two different racial variations of the Gungan Species. Boss Nass is a member of the older Ankura Gungans, and Tarpals, Jar Jar, etc are members of the more commen Otolla Gungans. Here is the information from the official site about the diffrences. I though the underwater scenes were pretty cool. As for how they spoke and acted, they are supposed to be a somewhat primative race, and having very little contact with outside races before E1, they found no need to conform to galactic standard ways of speaking, and just continued with how they have been since they became sentient.

There are at least two distinct Gungan races. The Otolla Gungan is characterized by a tall and lanky build, long ears (or haillu), inquisitive eyes atop short stalks, and a pronounced bill. The Ankura Gungan is an older race, with a stockier build, shorter bill and haillu, and hooded eyes. Gungans are hatched from eggs in water cradles, and are born as tadpoles. They quickly grow limbs and are able to walk on land within a standard month of hatching.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
03-02-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
1. Who says that Gentle Giants RealScan computers could process a model from ILMs software? They might not be compatible.

I do believe they make models in stuff like 3D Studio Max, I know it's what they made to make Jabba, just about any standard computer with the requirements could use 3D Studio Max.

Anyways, it would be easier to use a maquette to scan from instead of a 3D model because then they would have to get the 3D model sent to them and then make sure the computer could print it out, so to speak. But with a maquette model that the 3D model was most likely designed from (since I do believe the artists do these things in models before they do them in 3D) would be easier since it'd be basic scanning.

Jargo
03-02-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

Well, I can think of a number of reasons why it would be easier to RealScan a maquette than to use a 3D model from ILM.

2. If they could use a wireframe from ILM, the computer people at Gentle Giant would have to pose the model in the computer before they could create a mold. It might have been much easier for them to just scan the maquette.

I don't know if any of these possibilities are true, I'm just saying there are plenty of reasons why they couldn't or wouldn't do it the way you suggest Jargo. Well, that's the way you might do it. I would use a computer model over a maquette because that's the way realscan was developed. or at least the second part of the process was developed, to facilitate the 3d rendering in real terms and in solid resins of 3d wire frame computer generated models. it was developed for use in industry by motor car manufactures and companies who sell stuff like shampoo. it helped them to come up with in the hand models of bottles to see how people would react to shape etc. So the system was developed for wireframe models to be fed into it. Now whether or not gentle giant use this older method is debateable but it's still possible and yes they would have to pose the wireframe model but that's goinfg to give more scope for interesting statuettes than simply copying outright the maquette which most likely won't look exactly like the finished filmed version anyway. the wireframe based model is going to be as seen on film isn't it? just makes more sense to me that's all. :)

JEDIpartner
03-03-2002, 06:32 PM
On this thread, but Jar Jar has, again, pretty much answered every single person's questions. Personally I don't care if someone has multiple posts, but it's almost to the point that it's his forum exculsively. :mad:

I'm about to give up.

LTBasker
03-03-2002, 06:59 PM
Dude man, what's your problem? JJB has the right to post if he wants to, and what he has to post just happens to be helpful info, just because he likes helping people and is very active is no reason to stop posting, just say what you want to on threads you want to, if you've got a little extra info or a comment on the topic to throw in, do so, I just don't see the reason why you've been knocking on JJB today just because he's helpful. Can't we all just get along like fellow SW fans?

Btw, I still think a maquette would be easier to scan than the 3D model because the maquette could be more detailed due to it being most likely the first designed piece by they concept artists and LucasFilm might not even want to give out their files like that.

Beast
03-03-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
On this thread, but Jar Jar has, again, pretty much answered every single person's questions. Personally I don't care if someone has multiple posts, but it's almost to the point that it's his forum exculsively. :mad: I'm about to give up.
I enjoy helping people, is there some sort of problem with that? Do ya want me to check in with you next time before I answer someone's question, or post some information that someone is looking for? A thousand pardons for over stepping my bounds and posting information and help before you could. I just happen to have a large database of information, and if I can put it to use helping people, I will do it. :frus:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

PloKoon2385
03-03-2002, 08:04 PM
I agree that it is not fair or right for you to criticize JJB's opinions and help, because that is what it is opinions and HELP. You can't criticize either of them. An opinion is one person's point of view, and help is never too abundant. So, thanks Jar Jar, I think it is great that you help people. You have answered MANY of my questions before.

JEDIpartner
03-03-2002, 08:48 PM
It's fine that he want's to be helpful, but it seems that there is no room for other people to get to things before HE does. Personally, I no real gripe with Jar Jar and we've had a pretty good rapport thus far. I am hoping that we will continue to do so, but it just seems like every other post on the forums for the last month have been from him. It just gets a little frustrating... that's all. He's become the MADONNA of the the SSG... he's everywhere! Hahahaha...

Seriously... just a little frustration. It's actually been a rough spell for me the last couple months and this has been a nice escape for me. I've lost a childhood friend just before Christmas and two uncles I was very close to passed at the end of January and the beginning of February. Haven't had time to process all those deaths as they keep trainwrecking into each other, so I get a little touchy. Hope you understand. I'm done now... now all of you can put your blasters down. :rolleyes:

Beast
03-03-2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
It's fine that he want's to be helpful, but it seems that there is no room for other people to get to things before HE does. Personally, I no real gripe with Jar Jar and we've had a pretty good rapport thus far. I am hoping that we will continue to do so, but it just seems like every other post on the forums for the last month have been from him. It just gets a little frustrating... that's all. He's become the MADONNA of the the SSG... he's everywhere! Hahahaha... Seriously... just a little frustration. It's actually been a rough spell for me the last couple months and this has been a nice escape for me. I've lost a childhood friend just before Christmas and two uncles I was very close to passed at the end of January and the beginning of February. Haven't had time to process all those deaths as they keep trainwrecking into each other, so I get a little touchy. Hope you understand. I'm done now... now all of you can put your blasters down. :rolleyes:
No problems man. I just really enjoy discussing the movie and the toys, and when I can, helping people. And especially about one of my favorite topics, that I frankly know way to much about it. :) I can finally put some of that Star Wars geek knowledge of mine to good use. Febuary was just to big a month for Star Wars information and I am myself utterly amazed that there was so much to talk about. I don't consider myself the Madonna of SSG, it's more like I'm the Jar Jar Binks of SSG. No matter how hard I try to do good, I seem to annoy people. :D

Sorry to hear about your loss man, my prayers are with you during this difficult time. No need to apoligize for the being touchy, your mind is on a lot right now. I prescribe you watching Episode 1 tonight and trying to enjoy Jar Jar. Everyone here is pretty much cool, and I think of all of ya as an extended family. Hell, I am here so much you all probably count as extended family. :D Don't worry about the blasters, I'll call off the Bounty Hunters.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
03-03-2002, 11:44 PM
For what it's worth, I really didn't even notice JJB until very recently. No judgment about it either way, but the posts do seem to have stepped up 100 fold in the past month or two. Maybe we were just hanging out on different threads or something, but I did a double take at his post count because I would've sworn he was fairly new here.

But, hey, whatever. The forum is just part of the hobby.:cool:

jedi master sal
03-04-2002, 11:01 AM
Okay so what were we talking about....

Oh Yeah Star Wars and Boss Nass

(Please remember to stay within the forum and topic folks)

Any grievances please direct them to Sir Steve or JediTricks.

Thanks.

Jayspawn
03-04-2002, 01:23 PM
The 2nd Boss Nass is definatly the better Nass.

jedi master sal
03-04-2002, 01:33 PM
I definitely like the second Boss Nass (Naboo Swamp) now if he only came with a glowing orb of peace. (Have to use a gaint marble instead)

stillakid
03-04-2002, 01:35 PM
The glowing orb of peace always seemed to resemble one of those "boomer" glow balls from the battle. Do you suppose it would blow them all up if Nass dropped it right then?

Beast
03-04-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
I definitely like the second Boss Nass (Naboo Swamp) now if he only came with a glowing orb of peace. (Have to use a gaint marble instead)
Doh, here we were discussing the possible use for this figure for a celebration scene, so I pulled my Boss Nass figure out of my box. His arms are way way to far apart for him to hold anything properly scaled to look like the Globe of Peace. See, this is the reason they need to bring cinema scenes back. Or atleast do more 2-packs like the Anniversary sets. A nice set with Queen Amidala: Celebration Gown and Boss Nass: Celebration would be a cool set. If its a cinema scene, oh I dunno...just toss in a random background charecter for the third figure.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jedi master sal
03-04-2002, 01:56 PM
Another Sio Bibble would be nice as the third fig, since he's the one who handed the Globe to Padme and then she to Boss Nass.

This way fans who didn't get Bibble the first time around have a chance here.

JEDIpartner
03-04-2002, 01:58 PM
He still looks like my stepmonster. She is OOOOOOOOOOOGLEEEE!!!!

He definitely has a better looking face. I just don't like the "swivel leg" thing he's got going on. My only gripe about this one.

Beast
03-04-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
Another Sio Bibble would be nice as the third fig, since he's the one who handed the Globe to Padme and then she to Boss Nass. This way fans who didn't get Bibble the first time around have a chance here.
Good idea there, JMS. I was trying to think of a third charecter that wouldn't upset people. Another Anakin: Padawan wouldn't be a good choice. And we don't wanna see another Obi-Wan Kenobi. So yes, Sio Bibble is a great choice. Thanks for thinking of it. Or we could get another Jar Jar figure. :D Kidding, Kidding.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JetsAndHeels
03-04-2002, 03:06 PM
Possibly the Boss Nass w/globe, the celebration Amidala, the Sio Bibble, and maybe even another character.
I dont recall his name, but he looks sort of like Yoda and has the patch over his eye.
Damn why cant I remember his name??
Anyway put them in a "deluxe" cinema scene and raise the bar on them a little bit.
Also the backdrop with all the officers, Jedi members, etc would be a nice touch.

Beast
03-04-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
Possibly the Boss Nass w/globe, the celebration Amidala, the Sio Bibble, and maybe even another character.
I dont recall his name, but he looks sort of like Yoda and has the patch over his eye. Damn why cant I remember his name??
Anyway put them in a "deluxe" cinema scene and raise the bar on them a little bit. Also the backdrop with all the officers, Jedi members, etc would be a nice touch.
Even Piell's the name of the charecter your thinking of. He's in Episode II, so hopefullly we will see a figure of him soon. Despite the similarity to Yoda, he's infact a different species. He's a Lannik according to the Official Site. Here's his databank file:

Even Piell: Jedi Master
Homeworld: Lannik
Species: Lannik
Height: 1.22 meters
Weapon: Lightsaber
Affiliation: Jedi Council

The Movies: The Jedi High Council was isolated from the rest of the bustle of Coruscant, convening in a circular chamber high above the cityscape. One member of this august order was Even Piell, a diminutive Jedi Master who was present when Anakin Skywalker was brought before the Council for training. Even Piell was a small humanoid with pink skin, large drooping ears, a topknot and a scarred face.

Expanded Universe: The humorless and fierce Piell hails from Lannik, a planet long plagued by violence. Corellian diplomats attempted to help the struggling world, but were ambushed by Red Iaro terrorists in the heart of the Lannik High Court. Even Piell came to their rescue, and single-handedly defeated seven attackers, though he lost his left eye in the melee. The daughter of the diplomats, the Jedi Adi Gallia, had long felt indebted to Piell. Piell carried his scar as a badge of pride and symbol of his honor, bravery and persistence.

Behind the Scenes: Though there are superficial resemblances to Yoda (small build, long ears), Piell was not intended to be the same species as the centuries old Jedi Master. Actor Michaela Cottrell, under heavy make-up, played the role of Piell.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Even Piell: