PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Year By Year

jonthejedi
08-25-2010, 04:26 AM
This is an awesome book I picked up yesterday at Books A Million. It's a little pricier than most of DK's Star Wars books...but worth it. Comes in a deluxe slipcase; inside the book are two collectible prints(don't know if they're all the same). This massive concordance features everything(and I mean everything) from the earliest inspirations thru current events in 2010: film & TV production, conventions, comics, merchandising(toys, etc.) & such. I spent hours pouring over all the little tidbits they threw in. Just a fantastic book to pour thru...highly rec. a look-see.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-25-2010, 06:21 PM
I doubt the prints are the same (mine had Obi-Wan from CW cartoon, and Harrison Ford from ESB in the space slug cave). I talked this one up, too (don't recall which thread, though). I have liked what I'm seen in it so far.

[edit] Found my comments in the "Making of ESB" thread, BTW.

jonthejedi
08-26-2010, 04:06 AM
Obi w/Satine? Yeah, those are my prints as well. Gorgeous book, though.

DarkArtist
08-26-2010, 08:27 AM
have yet to see this book...might have to start checking out different book shops to see if I can spot one.

I really want the Making of ESB book though....

jonthejedi
08-26-2010, 04:22 PM
They had Year By Year in a metal stand/display by itself in main aisle...it was not in Entertainment section.

tagmac
08-26-2010, 04:30 PM
The prints are all the same. I checked a couple of books just to be sure.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-26-2010, 07:11 PM
I really am surprised to hear that. I'd have figured that there would be 4-6 different pairs of prints available. Oh well. It's still cool.

October 12th is the release day for MotESB.

Tycho
10-16-2010, 05:05 AM
I bought Star Wars Year By Year as well.

I love this book and am reading it very slowly to take in everything.

It's probably one of the only Non-Fiction Star Wars books I own. It is a beautiful piece of work though.

I'm friendly with the author Ryder Windham and it's fun to get to chat with him while I read about things he researched.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-07-2010, 08:58 AM
I scanned through SW: Visions at B&N yesterday, thinking it might be like SW:YBY. It seems to be other artwork related to SW, but at $40 I passed (even with 20% in coupons). I'll try to find it elsewhere cheaper. Anyone have this one already who'd say "get it now!" or "get out, now!" or "I just don't get it, now"?

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2010, 12:29 PM
A nice 45% coupon + membership and looking more through SW: Visions told me that I should pick up this book after all. Especially after noticing some of the "tasteful" paintings (see page 112 :pleased: ) of female characters included.

bkusna
11-11-2010, 12:34 PM
A nice 45% coupon + membership and looking more through SW: Visions told me that I should pick up this book after all. Especially after noticing some of the "tasteful" paintings (see page 112 :pleased: ) of female characters included.
I went cheap and used my 50% BN coupon to get the CW "New Battlefronts" visual guide....cool cover with Visla on it

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I had thought it was for card or video games when I first heard the title, but I too leafed through that one. I'll likely pass on it, however.

nohagent
11-11-2010, 01:06 PM
how much is this thing? of course there will be more versions of year by year as SW history goes on

Bel-Cam Jos
11-12-2010, 07:06 PM
SW:YBY has a $50 USD cover price.

And I looked more carefully at the Visions book, noticing the following information: its full title is Star Wars Art: Visions, and it has a Preface, a Foreward, AND an Introduction.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-16-2013, 10:09 PM
There is another SW:Art book out, it's Concept. Looks nice, from a skim-through. I wonder how many Expanded Universe-type action figures will be made from it.

JediTricks
10-19-2013, 02:58 PM
There is another SW:Art book out, it's Concept. Looks nice, from a skim-through. I wonder how many Expanded Universe-type action figures will be made from it.
I got it from Amazon for $24, the flip-through wasn't quite what I was hoping from it but it does have some charm. I never finished Year by Year or Making of ESB either, I'm getting into a bad habit of buying big SW coffee table books and not digging into them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-08-2013, 04:58 PM
I got it from Amazon for $24, the flip-through wasn't quite what I was hoping from it but it does have some charm. I never finished Year by Year or Making of ESB either, I'm getting into a bad habit of buying big SW coffee table books and not digging into them.

Ay, this reminds me that I got Year By Year a while back and have still barely looked at it. I'm excited for Making of ROTJ, though.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Ay, this reminds me that I got Year By Year a while back and have still barely looked at it. I'm excited for Making of ROTJ, though.I just started MOROTJ; still in the post-ESB and Raiders era at the beginning.

JediTricks
11-09-2013, 01:44 AM
I ended up buying MOROTJ on... oh crap, on Google Play, I forgot I did that. Anyway, I bought it on Google Play so I could read it on my Android tablet and phone. So far, I've been too caught up in other stuff to open it up beyond a quick sampling I did for the article. I think I need to put in more time to finish MOESB though, that's embarrassing to not have finished it after this much time - I blame the size and weigh of that monster book though, c'mon!

As for SW Year by Year, it's sat on the shelf having only flipped through it when I got it, but I did get it free with my Sideshow SDCC cash.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-09-2013, 09:04 AM
I ended up buying MOROTJ on... oh crap, on Google Play, I forgot I did that. Anyway, I bought it on Google Play so I could read it on my Android tablet and phone. So far, I've been too caught up in other stuff to open it up beyond a quick sampling I did for the article. I think I need to put in more time to finish MOESB though, that's embarrassing to not have finished it after this much time - I blame the size and weigh of that monster book though, c'mon!

As for SW Year by Year, it's sat on the shelf having only flipped through it when I got it, but I did get it free with my Sideshow SDCC cash.Yeah, I bought the softcover MOSW, and MOROJ is thicker. It'll take some time, but that's cool. I've been reading YBY a year at a time, out of order just because, so eventually I'll finish that one, too.

JediTricks
11-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I bought the softcover MOSW, and MOROJ is thicker. It'll take some time, but that's cool. I've been reading YBY a year at a time, out of order just because, so eventually I'll finish that one, too.ROTJ is the same page count as ESB, 372. I'm chiefly glad I didn't buy it for 3 times as much in hardcover.

YbY really is a flip-through type book, I read a few pages in and it's a bit dry as a straight read.