PDA

View Full Version : dremels

fettbounty
03-01-2002, 10:26 PM
I need some help with a dremel question. I've been wanting a dremel forever to make my "Men Behind
the Masks" customs. I need to hollow out helmets and I'm new to using one. Can anyone help me with what accessories/bits to use for hollowing helmets? I've heard that they can cause the plastic to melt if you're not careful. Has anyone ever hollowed out a Chewbacca head to make a Peter Mayhew custom? Any help would be great!
-Keith

Obi-Don
03-02-2002, 02:34 PM
I'm not sure this will help you but here goes. The bits I use to hollow out helmets and stuff like that is a drill bit and some pointed grinding stone bits. If you know what I mean by that. I use the drill to get my hole centered and use the pointed grinding stone bit to shape the hole. No matter what bit you use. You will have to go slow and stop often to let the plastic cool. It can get anoying sometimes,but its better than having the thing melt on you. You might want to use something as a test project to get the feel of it before you start on the main project. I don't know a whole lot about customizing but I am willing to help you with what I do know. Most of what I have done, I learned by doing. I'm not great at it but have made some really cool figures and a lot of lightsabers. I have even got into making metal handles for my lightsabers using the dremel tool and files. If Jedi's when to a person to make thier lightsabers, I think they would come to me[I hope]. Anyway, just try and have fun.Thats what it is all about.

spacelord
03-04-2002, 10:09 PM
I have never used it on a figures head, but I have used a small coving bit to hollow out spaces in plastic for playset extras. The shape of the bit makes it easy to round out the bottom. It also makes it possible for the opening to be smaller than bowl that gets dug out. I would highly suggest practicing on something worthless a few times (tattoone Jar-Jar if you have any). I would also recommend the 'drill press' accessory that lets you mount the dremmel vertically and lower it with a lever. It is much easier to control the small piece of plastic when the dremmel is rooted to the spot and you can use both hands to do the work.

Now, where can I find one of them Jar-Jars?

Dar' Argol
03-05-2002, 08:28 PM
What I would suggest is the Engraving Bits for the dremel. They come in a few different sizes so find one that is the size you need. After you drill your pilot hole, use the engraving bit to hollow out the head. I would use one with a rounded head on the bit. The beauty is that b/c the way the bit cuts. . . it doesn't melt the plastic!!!! But please, try it on sometime a few times to get the hang of it!