PDA

View Full Version : Anybody collecting unpunched cards?

JediTricks
09-06-2010, 03:07 PM
As per my Comic-Con interview with Derryl, these Vintage Collection cards are designed to be able to be collected unpunched if you're really, really lucky to get them before they're put out on pegs. The design includes 3 little tabs inside the punch to keep it in place without tearing the rest of the card face off when punched out.

That said, having seen these first hand, they are EXTREMELY fragile and some are showing up at stores with the punch having already fallen out before the case is opened. This makes unpunched cards pretty darn rare, but an exciting collectible.

Here in earthquake territory, I'm not even going to bother, but I applaud anybody who gives it a shot.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Wouldn't they basically have to admit to being scalpers, for the most part? Not in all cases (pun always intended), but most.

I have no desire to do this, never have. My cardbacks can be dented or even slightly creased, :eek: as they'll be opened anyway.

LTBasker
09-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Wouldn't mind having unpunched versions since the large hole in the card doesn't look right to me - I've obviously been spoiled by companies integrating the peg hook into working with the design aesthetic. It sounds too expensive and too much of a hassle, though.

I was thinking about just trying to order online, mostly in case form, but it seems even that's not a guarantee if they're likely to fall out just from being jostled around. Heck, even in a protective case they'd have a chance of falling out during something like a move, so what would be the point?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Wouldn't they basically have to admit to being scalpers, for the most part? Not in all cases (pun always intended), but most.

I have no desire to do this, never have. My cardbacks can be dented or even slightly creased, :eek: as they'll be opened anyway.
Huh? Scalpers sell the figures to other people for markups. People who collect unpunched cards would be doing so for their own collections. I don't see the correlation.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-07-2010, 07:00 PM
I hadn't considered those who buy cases directly. I was only thinking of those who swipe them all from the boxes before they make it to the pegs, or make deals with the stores before they even make it on the floor.

sith_killer_99
09-07-2010, 07:53 PM
I hadn't considered those who buy cases directly. I was only thinking of those who swipe them all from the boxes before they make it to the pegs, or make deals with the stores before they even make it on the floor.

When these first hit TRU the stocker offered to go pull out cases and let us get any figures we couldn't find on the pegs or figures/cards in better shape, he was pretty cool about the whole thing and was offering the same for all the collectors.:thumbsup:

JediTricks
09-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Yeah, asking stockers can be the best way, but the relationship between stockers and customers has become really strained over the last decade. Still, it's 1 way to get them. I never even considered the scalper angle. :p

AmanaMatt
09-10-2010, 07:32 PM
This is/was news to me; never heard that they were shipping like that, and have yet to see one....

Mvader91
09-11-2010, 03:14 AM
Just curious, has anyone actually seen them unpunched? I have seen well over ten cases opened up and no punches were in the bottom of the cases. They come prepunched.:sad:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Just curious, has anyone actually seen them unpunched? I have seen well over ten cases opened up and no punches were in the bottom of the cases. They come prepunched.:sad:Ah... the ultimate in carded figure chasing: finding the code number for an unopened CASE that has unpunched figures. How will they make a Star Case to hold a giant box? :p

JediTricks
09-11-2010, 03:12 PM
I *thought* I saw unpunched the first case I saw, but am not sure. The only unpunched cards I have are the giveaway virgin cards from SDCC, and their punches were falling out, I had to get dupes.

Mvader91
09-12-2010, 12:03 AM
:rolleyes:I would like to have unpunched new vintage. I have a near complete set of POTF AFA85 or better. They are all unpunched. I think it gives you a more complete collectible. I guess just personal preference.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-12-2010, 09:07 AM
My rocket-firing Fett arrived yesterday (in a mangled box :upset: ) with an unpunched (but slightly curved :mad: ) card and somewhat dented bubble. This is one fig I intend to open, once my second one arrives. :D

Jayspawn
09-30-2010, 02:16 PM
I love the bardbacks. I have a set of Celebration 5 cards and I'd like to trade for any extra SDCC bardbacks.

I have extras of General Grievous, Anakin, Obi-Wan and Cody. Looking for SDCC Bespin Luke, Hoth Han, Boba Fett, or Vader.

2-1B
10-03-2010, 02:33 PM
I *thought* I saw unpunched the first case I saw, but am not sure. The only unpunched cards I have are the giveaway virgin cards from SDCC, and their punches were falling out, I had to get dupes.

I got a couple of unpunched ROTS proof cards from a dealer at WizChicago...nice little addition to my collection.

TheDarthVader
10-05-2010, 01:30 PM
I ordered three brand new cases of vintage figures from hasbro toy shop, and I did not get a single figure that had an unpunched card out of 36 figures. :(

JediTricks
10-06-2010, 04:38 PM
36 figures would be 3 cases.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Uh, isn't that was TDV said? :confused:

JediTricks
10-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I missed that, not sure why.

Anyway, were there punches at the bottom of the case? If not, I'll write to Derryl rebutting his claim from SDCC about this. My guess is the factory doesn't know they're supposed to be left unpunched.

TheDarthVader
10-09-2010, 12:42 PM
No punches at the bottom of the cases...not one. :(

Bel-Cam Jos
10-09-2010, 12:59 PM
But how could they be punched, unless they already knew... we wanted them intact? Pull up! That case isn't unpunched! It's a trap!

JediTricks
10-10-2010, 02:55 PM
No punches at the bottom of the cases...not one. :(
Hmm, ok. I'll contact them next week about this.

TheDarthVader
10-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Thanks JT!! On a side note, I was very happy with my figures and gave my nephew a set of wave 3 (nonfoils...Jake is 6 years old). He loves star wars too just like his uncle. :)

Mvader91
10-11-2010, 02:38 AM
:squareeyeThe vintage figures are not produced unpunched. Myself and toysrus associates through discussion have realized since day one of these being released early. There has not been one case out of over 100 unpunched?

Snowtrooper
11-28-2010, 09:41 PM
I managed to get an unpunched Admiral Ackbar. Technicallly, though, it was punched, but the plastic reinforcement was placed a little lower than normal on the card, so the punch stuck with it. I just pushed it back in place and you can't tell the difference.

TheDarthVader
11-29-2010, 12:26 PM
UPDATE JT. I have seen a few unpunched star wars figures...well kinda. Most of the time the tab is just hanging there, but it is easily put back in the hanger hole. I have seen about four to date. I think the ones unpunched were Darth Vader (anakin rots), Sandtrooper, one that had a brown colored back, and maybe like a Darth Sidious.

Background Character
11-29-2010, 03:13 PM
I found something a little confusing. You would think the cards were being punched by employees as they put them on the pegs. Obvious, correct?

Well, I was at Target when an employee was just openening some cases of Vintage Jedi wave. I picked up 3 Gamorrean Gaurds and Woof. Woof and one of the Gams were unpunched, the rest were already punched and the tabs were nowhere to be found. Straight out of the case before being manhandled!

I'm no CSI agent, but this must mean that they are getting punched out at the factory before being shipped and some are being missed. Any other explanations?

Bel-Cam Jos
11-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Notice that such confusing actions occur with the Darth Sidious figure waves? :confused: It is of no concern...

Snowtrooper
11-30-2010, 11:11 PM
I got my order of the rest of Wave 3 from HTS today and I got two unpunched piggys and one unpunched Wicket. I really wasn't looking out for unpunched cards, but glad I got a few.

JediTricks
12-01-2010, 07:30 PM
I found something a little confusing. You would think the cards were being punched by employees as they put them on the pegs. Obvious, correct?

Well, I was at Target when an employee was just openening some cases of Vintage Jedi wave. I picked up 3 Gamorrean Gaurds and Woof. Woof and one of the Gams were unpunched, the rest were already punched and the tabs were nowhere to be found. Straight out of the case before being manhandled!

I'm no CSI agent, but this must mean that they are getting punched out at the factory before being shipped and some are being missed. Any other explanations?
Yes, that seems to be evident by the lack of punches in the case, so I tried to call Hasbro on it in Q&A. They lost our emails instead, so... who knows. My guess is that when Hasbro SW found out they were being pre-punched at the factory (which is a contractor, they're not owned by Hasbro), Hasbro requested the change, and it's being implemented in the middle of wave 3's production.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-11-2010, 04:27 PM
I finally saw my first unpunched cards today... sort of. One could tell that they'd been on the pegs before, so putting them back in place makes them clearly not a true "unpunched" card.

bigbarada
12-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I finally saw my first unpunched cards today... sort of. One could tell that they'd been on the pegs before, so putting them back in place makes them clearly not a true "unpunched" card.

Maybe re-unpunched? :confused:

JediTricks
12-15-2010, 05:05 AM
I got my first unpunched card, wave 3 R2-D2 from HTS. Unfortunately, the box they shipped it in was set up in a way that they just jammed it in and the card itself got super bent and warped... but the punch remains in the card (though the perforation is a little ragged from being bent).

sebillba
12-26-2010, 01:18 AM
I got the ROTJ wave for Christmas, and all 7 were on unpunched cards (bought them online). Shame I'm an opener, but I will keep all the backing cards.