PDA

View Full Version : MGM and Miramax plot to pillage another classic picture.

Beast
03-02-2002, 04:24 AM
Oh great, another classic movie is about to be ruined by re-making it as a high budget hollywood epic. Anyone else out there absolutly sick of this BS? I mean come on, isn't there one single original idea floating around Hollywood anymore? Here is the news from Yahoo. :(

'Samurai' Unleashed Again
Fri Mar 1, 3:20 AM ET
By Jonathan Bing

NEW YORK (Variety) - Miramax Films and MGM will co-produce a contemporary retelling of Akira Kurosawa's classic saga of dueling Japanese warlords, "The Seven Samurai." One of the Japanese auteur's most influential films, "Seven Samurai" first got the Hollywood treatment in 1960 when John Sturges remade the picture as a Western, "The Magnificent Seven," with an all-star cast, including Yul Brynner, Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson.

In the Kurosawa picture, which was nominated for two Oscars, a poor village besieged by marauding bandits hires seven samurai warriors to defend them, offering only handfuls of rice as payment. Miramax Films co-chairman Harvey Weinstein described "Seven Samurai" as "the mother of all 'guys on a mission' movies."

MGM and Miramax haven't yet determined whether the remake will be set in Asia, the West, or some other contemporary context. MGM will distribute domestically, while Miramax will handle its international release.

More proof that Hollywood has gone to hell, and instead of somthing new they are willing to recyle a classic film and try to make a buck off of it. Shame on MGM and Miramax for the pillaging of a classic. Where is the Seven samurai to defend classic films from being ravaged like this by the studio's rampaging bandits? :mad: :frus:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rollo Tomassi
03-02-2002, 10:45 AM
In total agreement, Jar Jar Binks.

derek
03-02-2002, 12:16 PM
what i find really funny is that the prequil to "silence of the lambs" is being re-made, this time starring anthony hopkins as a supposidly younger hannible. the original was released in the mid 80's(i think) and called "manhunter".

i think the terms "hollywood" and "original" are condrictions.:cry:

mabudonicus
03-02-2002, 03:53 PM
Makes me wonder how long it'll be before this starts happening to films like SW, or raiders(although a remake of TOD wouldn't be ALL bad). It really does hurt to come to a forum like this, packed with many good ideas from smart, witty people, and have it contrasted with the complete void of ideas in the mainstream. You'd think that a lot of what hollywood has come out with over the past 15 years or so should constitute criminal wastes of time and resources. I can't barely watch TV anymore without having my spirits sink and my gorge rise every time that big, stupid, confident voice says "FINALLY, A FILM THAT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE". It worries me to think how much demographic research it took to get to the ridiculous place that the film industry is now.
It's bad enough that the present state is bad, and now it looks like the way to make todays films look better is to ruin anything which might serve as comparison.
I'm going for a pint, sorry for the fire.I know many of us feel the same way, it's just depressing, is all. Wooooooooooo!!!!

Obi-Don
03-03-2002, 07:44 AM
It makes you wonder where the people with talent have gone. Everywhere remakes. In music and flims, it doesn't seem to get any better. I guess in Hollywood they don't want to work anymore when it comes to new ideas. Don't get me wrong. I know new stuff comes out from time to time and some are good. But they are few and far inbetween. Oh well, I guess I'll go read a book.

Rollo Tomassi
03-03-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Obi-Don
Oh well, I guess I'll go read a book.

Wait for the movie.;)

mabudonicus
03-03-2002, 03:19 PM
Just after replying to this thread, i saw the following headline on the news, and just had to laugh.....
" FRANKENSTEIN OPERA OPENS TO MIXED REVIEWS"
I guess the most surprising thing was the word mixed. Looks like Opera is suffering from the same sort of stagnation as hollywood.
(that's , i say that's sarcasm, son!)

SithDroid
03-11-2002, 12:07 AM
No kidding. Think of all of the remakes we have had within the last couple of years:

Planet of the Apes, Bedazzled, Rollerball, The Time Machine, The Mummy, etc...

Most of them are horrible and half of them can't even hold a candle to the originals. When will Hollywood learn that people don't want re-makes.

pthfnder89
03-11-2002, 09:59 AM
The wierd thing is, Seven Samurai was ALREADY remade as an american film, in The Magnificent Seven. And despite the odds, it's a really good flick.

Why the hell do they need to try it again? This is really a pet peeve of mine. I'm still freaked out by the rumor that they were going to remake Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, even though that one seems to have died off finally. Another great movie that just SHOULDN'T be touched.

mabudonicus
03-11-2002, 11:29 AM
And then, in the 80's, they remade it two MORE times (this time as a new-age western) in the Young Guns property. I just wanted to add that after reading Pathfinders post, as I was thinking that when I first saw this thread. What about a remake of "9 to 5", like we have been threatened with this summer?
Or DC cab? Seeing as (in the 9-5 or oceans 11 or psycho-remake tradition) the film didn't even have to be any good the first time around(sorry, psycho was alright for its time). Please don't let ANYONE try and remake a film like slaughterhouse 5!!!

Beast
03-11-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by mabudon
And then, in the 80's, they remade it two MORE times (this time as a new-age western) in the Young Guns property. I just wanted to add that after reading Pathfinders post, as I was thinking that when I first saw this thread. What about a remake of "9 to 5", like we have been threatened with this summer?
Or DC cab? Seeing as (in the 9-5 or oceans 11 or psycho-remake tradition) the film didn't even have to be any good the first time around(sorry, psycho was alright for its time). Please don't let ANYONE try and remake a film like slaughterhouse 5!!!
You think this is bad, well guess what. Michael "Pearl Harbor" Bay is producing a remake of the horror classic, "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". But he wants to make it less gruesome, and more refined for todays moviegoer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the scariest part of "TCM" is the psychological terror. It's really not a splatter flic that needs a politically correct and sweet makeover. Plus it's Michael Bay, I can just imagine what this is gonna turn out like, please gods...someone stop this moron.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
03-11-2002, 12:45 PM
I thought TCM The Next Generation starring Matthew McWannabe was supposed to be a remake :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: What a horrible thought Michael Bay :frus: , you can't recreate suspense like that.

Oh, and Paramount is going ahead with their Tina Sinatra produced remake of Manchurian Candidate :rolleyes: