PDA

View Full Version : Family as the "apple".....

jedibear
03-02-2002, 04:51 AM
....one of the highlights of reading Moriaty's interesting script review is how & what tempts Anakin into abandoning the Jedi for his new beloved...the idea of a normal family.

While a great many folks will probably be disapppointed that Skywalker's walk to the dark side isn't caused by something more "dramatic", I think the idea within the context of the story so far is a strong & logical one.

Consider...

Young Anakin comes into the galaxy under mysterious conditons, raised as a slave by his loving, protective mother who contends his birth was a miraculous act. The boy is mechanically inclined, intuitive, free of guile and greed...dreaming of soaring to the stars and visiting every last world among them. He dreams and hopes to become a jedi...people who's heroic almost mythical quality has him convinced they're invincible....

Until one day, into the shop of his owner comes a beautiful young girl & a mysterious stranger who turns out to be one of those mythic guardians of peace he's dreamed of becoming. After helping his new friends, they return his good deed by taking him away from the slave's life and into the dreams he's always had, despite the warning of it being a hard life and having to leave his mother...the only stable, kind force he's ever known...making her a child's promise he can't ever hope to keep...

Cut to 10 years past...he's an accomplished, if not brash padawan who still yearns for the home and mother he left (along with the growing guilt of not checking up or keeping his promise of freedom to his her).
Circumstances reunite him with his first crush, now a beautiful grown woman whose strength and goodwill remind him of his mother. Guarding her from outside forces of evil, he visits her homeworld and sees a life he never imagined...a life of caring family members...his new love's mother, father, sisters...all attentive and concerned for her and her welfare...something that Anakin had only experienced with his mother as a young child.

Some may argue that Anakin's Master and fellow padawans were his family, but I think it's a fair assessment that that concept never fully gets instilled with young Skywalker. Only witnessing a REAL family awakens the sense of loss and regret in him.

After the other events that occur in AOTC, it's interesting to see the progression of Anakin...truly a perfect example of "Watch out for what you wish for...you might get it". And the truly disasterious events that follow...

It becomes real clear why potential jedi are taken as infants, why the council was so hesitant and why Obi-Wan truly becomes a tragic figure.

All because of on man's desire for family...a desire that is realized in ROTJ by his own son leading him to redemption...

Thoughts?

Rollo Tomassi
03-02-2002, 10:01 AM
I agree. Anakin's fall to the Dark Side will because of betrayal by his "father" (Obi Wan) and his lover, Padme. These supposed acts of betrayal will turn him into Darth vader. Powerful stuff.

Co Jo-Da
03-03-2002, 12:47 AM
Man is Episode III going to be good or what, but ATACK OF THE CLONES comes first...

2-1B
03-09-2002, 10:17 PM
Great post Jedibear, and I agree with Rollo that it could be pretty powerful :)

I think it might make for a great storyline if Anakin's fall centers around Family because it's such a complex issue that allows for love, greed, anger, and guilt to all manifest.

Obi-Don
03-10-2002, 07:51 AM
A very good thought here. Family does matter in life. Without it, we are a lone. That feeling of lonelyness can be a powerfull and distructive force. Causeing someone to do things that one would not normally do. I do think that a lot of people in this world has forgotten the strength that a family can have. I think I will go and tell my kids how much they mean to me.

JetsAndHeels
03-10-2002, 09:37 AM
I am really enjoying this thread here. JediBear, great post.
Yes, the family unit is a very important one. Just look at how 9/11 has brought people together. The sense of patriotism and love that people began to feel once the tragedy occured. I cant recall how many times I heard people talk about how they felt a new sense of love for their families and their loved ones.
The same with Anakin. He felt the strength of being in a family and being with those people he loved, yet it didnt quite work out for him. Now, we begin to see his gradual descent to the Dark Side.