PDA

View Full Version : When did it become socially acceptable to bring cups of coffee everywhere?

JimJamBonds
09-14-2010, 10:42 AM
I ask this because I see people with cups of coffee (the disposable kind of cup) freaking everywhere! With my job I spend my days in grocery stores and I see people with coffee that they brought in with them all the time! WTF!?!?!? The one that really got me was the other day I was at my local library and I saw a woman and her child with coffee cups. AT THE LIBRARY!!! Since when can you bring liquids into... well anywhere!?!?!? Am I the only one who doesn't get this "phenomenon?"

Darth Awgmon
09-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't get this "phenomenon?"

Yes, yes you are. Now where the hell is my venti white chocolate peppermint mocha?!?

LusiferSam
09-14-2010, 11:35 AM
When did it become socially acceptable to bring cups of coffee everywhere?

January 12, 1992

Clearly you've been out of this loop for a while. Personally I hate coffee will only drink it occasionally, so I'm not part of the new/old social norm.

Ando
09-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Venturing a guess that it was when Starbucks started charging $4.00 for a $0.50 product. I personally don't drink coffee and I think the last time I even had coffee was when I worked a graveyard shift job in 1996.

I still go into Starbucks around the holidays to get hot cocoa and a cookie when I am shopping downtown for Christmas gifts, but I refuse to use their beyond stupid names for small, medium, and large.

I actually once was able to walk into a movie theater with my hot cocoa cup from SB's without anyone saying anything to me. I actually didn't realize it until I was at the top of the escalator and heading towards the auditorium.

This was the same theater where I was once told by some dork assistant (to the) manager that I couldn't bring my large soda (from "outside") into the building. I left it on his stupid little podium instead. He wasn't happy.

JimJamBonds
09-14-2010, 03:08 PM
I should rephrase my statement. I agree that SB has changed the 'coffee culture' in this country. When SB finally came to Green Bay (inside a Barnes and Noble) people flocked there to be seen drinking overpriced ****** coffee.

My point was when did it become OK to walk into places of business with liquids? You couldn't do that when I was a kid. Where I went to college there were signs posted in the library saying NO LIQUIDS were allowed. Expense or not I just don't get it. :confused:

El Chuxter
09-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Probably at the same time it became acceptable for people to take their dogs into stores. Coffee in public irritates me. Dogs in public enrage me. Nothing against dogs, but they do not belong in grocery stores or any other type of store unless they are service animals. People have allergies to dogs that can be triggered by being within a few feet of them, unlike coffee.

My thoughts are that it started when even the managers of most places were making so little money that they don't want to argue with customers, and they let dogs and coffee slide, until now it's past the point where they could do something about it if they wanted.

I look forward to the day when my kids watch that old Charlie Brown movie (Come Home, Snoopy?) and are shocked that Snoopy isn't allowed in every building he sees.

As for the coffee, I prefer the cheap stuff, so long as it's strong. I put so much sugar and cream in it, it doesn't really matter what sort of "quality" it was to begin with. I just wish all the fast food joints that used to have good, cheap coffee hadn't hopped on the Starbucks bandwagon.

goi cuon (http://rasamalaysia.com/vietnamese-spring-rolls-goi-cuon-with/)

Ando
09-14-2010, 04:01 PM
I meant to say that I think it became okay when people started overpaying for coffee and they started serving it in disposable cups with lids. Not because of Starbucks, but more along the same time.

When I was a kid (b 1977), people didn't do that around here, either.

As our culture has become more and more "on the go" with access to technology, news, customers, etc., people almost literally do not have time to sit and relax, ergo... Coffee everywhere you look.

I wouldn't say it's "okay" now, but just more accepted.

It's never really bothered me. I sometimes will go downtown or out shopping with my wife and grab a soda (bottle or fountain cup) and carry it with me (disposing of it properly of course), but if there's a posted sign, I will oblige and stay outside the store or throw it out early.

Blue2th
09-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Yup, a cup in one hand, yapping too loud on the cell phone in the other hand, or a hands free ear piece, so they talk even louder, but the advantage is they can now hold a cup of coffee, the dog leash and yap on the phone, while their little yappy dog is barking too :cross-eye

morpheus282
09-14-2010, 08:11 PM
I for one welcome this custom. Without my coffee I would be much more unpleasant than normal. :whip: :D

JimJamBonds
09-15-2010, 06:35 AM
Probably at the same time it became acceptable for people to take their dogs into stores.

DOGS INTO STORES!?!?!? I (don't think) I have seen that one with the exception of Pets Mart/pet stores. I thought you were going to say something along the line about people driving with dogs on their laps, yeah that is not a distraction at all now is it? :rolleyes:

When I was a kid (b 1977), people didn't do that around here, either.

We're of the same 'vintage' Ando, maybe we are thinking alike on this one since we're now cranky old men. :D

I for one welcome this custom. Without my coffee I would be much more unpleasant than normal. :whip: :D

And that reminds me of that stupid "don't talk to me until I've had my coffee" commercial that McDonald's had earlier this year. Man did that grind my gears!

morpheus282
09-15-2010, 07:18 AM
DOGS INTO STORES!?!?!? I (don't think) I have seen that one with the exception of Pets Mart/pet stores. I thought you were going to say something along the line about people driving with dogs on their laps, yeah that is not a distraction at all now is it? :rolleyes:

And that reminds me of that stupid "don't talk to me until I've had my coffee" commercial that McDonald's had earlier this year. Man did that grind my gears!

Sometime around the dawn of the Paris Hilton age it became acceptable for everyone to take their little pooches everywhere they went. I find that utterly rediculous.

Don't get me started on dumb commercials. I think most marketing departments lost site of the fact that their job is to make you want to buy their product. The McDonalds coffee and Hillshire Farms commercials that have been running over the past few years are a prime example of an epic advertising fail.

Ando
09-15-2010, 10:29 AM

We're of the same 'vintage' Ando, maybe we are thinking alike on this one since we're now cranky old men. :D

The coffee thing doesn't really bug me, but...

Freaking dog people are everywhere here in Portland. I had to wait in line behind some idiot lady at the bank one time and she wouldn't shut up about her dog that she had with her IN THE BANK.

Another time, I was at a sporting goods store and some jackhole had a yippy little dog with him that started sniffing around my feet. "Don't worry, he's fine." I wanted to SCREAM at him that his dog was bothering me and I am not really a dog person (getting chased home by a German shepherd in 1st grade day after day does that to you).

Idiots.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Some of the shopping carts at Fred Meyer here have a cup holder in the upper part of the cart. I try to avoid taking those as it just gets in the way. I am not a coffee drinker.

I like dogs, but wouldn't want them in a store. I have neighbors with a bunch of yippy wiener dogs. We had a dog when I was a kid, but all our animals stayed outside. I wouldn't want a dog unless I lived someplace like where I grew up with plenty of room for it to roam around. It's kind of frustrating that an overwhelming majority of matches I've received on dating websites are animal lovers and people who list their pets as being really important.

JimJamBonds
09-15-2010, 10:14 PM
...I am not really a dog person (getting chased home by a German shepherd in 1st grade day after day does that to you).

A few weeks ago while on a run I was 'chased' by a miniature poodle named "Hercules" (no joke I really was!).

El Chuxter
09-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Sounds silly, but even the smallest dog can still bite you. And it only takes one infected bite from an otherwise harmless-looking critter to make you be wary.

banh xeo (http://www.vietnamese-recipes.com/vietnamese-recipes/eggs/vietnamese-egg-pancake.php)

Mad Slanted Powers
09-15-2010, 10:30 PM
A few weeks ago while on a run I was 'chased' by a miniature poodle named "Hercules" (no joke I really was!).

See, if you had some hot coffee, you could have thrown it at the mighty Hercules.

JimJamBonds
09-16-2010, 11:30 AM
See, if you had some hot coffee, you could have thrown it at the mighty Hercules.

Hercules was in greater danger of kicked kicked from me, no joke. I wasn't too concerned about the little guy and I could have outran him but since somebody from his house came out to get him I slowed down. In fact I was the one that ended up grabbing him and handing him to the owner/owners kid.

But as I said earlier had he "really" come after me Hercules would have gotten a Nike in his chest.

sith_killer_99
09-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Once they began putting Starbucks inside Target it was all over.:D

CaptainSolo1138
09-18-2010, 02:17 AM
Man did that grind my gears!
Nice. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlDY0BaDbcU&NR=1)

The coffee thing I'm OK with. I guess I never considered it a "custom" or anything. I think it simply sprang up out of the fact that it is more convenient to get coffee on the go.

Lord Malakite
09-18-2010, 04:11 AM

But then he'd have to worry about being bit by Jack Thompson. No one hates hot coffee more than he. ;)

JimJamBonds
09-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Nice. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlDY0BaDbcU&NR=1)

Nice work on that one Cappy! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

nohagent
09-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Hmm, I was thinking that if I ever go on one of those dating websites my title line will be "coffee and sushi need not apply"

JimJamBonds
09-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Hmm, I was thinking that if I ever go on one of those dating websites my title line will be "coffee and sushi need not apply"

What's the deal with sushi? I find it quite tasty.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-18-2010, 09:56 PM
What's the deal with sushi? I find it quite tasty.

I've only tried a California roll, and I didn't even like that despite the fact that I like imitation crab. Not sure what it was that made it taste bad.

JimJamBonds
09-19-2010, 05:39 PM
The California roll is pretty basic (from what I know about sushi which isn't much). If you don't like it you don't like it no big deal. I've seen too many people try to force non sushi eaters into having it.

InsaneJediGirl
09-25-2010, 12:38 AM
My thoughts are that it started when even the managers of most places were making so little money that they don't want to argue with customers, and they let dogs and coffee slide, until now it's past the point where they could do something about it if they wanted.

I know where I work people are bringing their freaking dogs in all the time. Its annoying, and I'm a dog person! My parents raised German Shepherds for years and of course we still have some....but....they are dogs. They live in kennels and get treated better than most dogs in my opinion. The farthest I will take them is the local hardware or livestock feed 'n' seed, even then I am wary due to parvo,canine cough, etc.

Anyways....The only reason we let them in is because the managers want as much money as possible. They will let anyone do almost anything just to grab a buck or two right now. Currently, we are letting people return worn shoes to get a new, hopefully higher, priced pair. Someone apparently is letting it slip more that Nike has a lifetime warranty on all shoes....ugh, so annoying. Can't keep them 10 years and expect them to last.:frus:

Lord Malakite
09-25-2010, 12:58 AM
Someone apparently is letting it slip more that Nike has a lifetime warranty on all shoes....ugh, so annoying. Can't keep them 10 years and expect them to last.:frus:
Wait... Nike has a lifetime warranty? So if I were to buy a pair of Nike shoes then wear them till they wore out I can return them at any time for a free replacement pair? I'm so going to buy a pair of Nike shoes. :love:

InsaneJediGirl
09-25-2010, 02:46 AM
Wait... Nike has a lifetime warranty? So if I were to buy a pair of Nike shoes then wear them till they wore out I can return them at any time for a free replacement pair? I'm so going to buy a pair of Nike shoes. :love:

Yep. The only trick is by the time you return them, they will be on clearance in the system. So if you paid $79 at a Factory Store, by the time you go back they will be $29.97 or $39.97. Thats how the money is being made, because people will just take that credit and go buy another $79 pair ;)

JimJamBonds
09-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Someone apparently is letting it slip more that Nike has a lifetime warranty on all shoes....ugh, so annoying. Can't keep them 10 years and expect them to last.:frus:

That is the most insane thing I have EVER heard!?!?!? They are freaking shoes for god's sake! Good news for me I'm a Nike guy.

sith_killer_99
09-25-2010, 12:09 PM

Upon further research it was December 16, 1773!

That was the day of the Boston Tea Party. After that it was all down hill, to this day American Coffee drinkers out number tea drinkers 5 to 1.

2-1B
10-03-2010, 02:30 PM
agreed with JimJam...
Coffee Douchery is getting way too much leeway these days.

JimJamBonds
08-20-2011, 03:08 PM
I saw this one the other day and it drove me freaking wild. I work for a national beverage company that is headed by a "Dr." :wink: so I spend my time cruising around grocery stores. The other day I see a mid 20ish couple and the guy has a bottle of Aquafina that I see is sans cap. I think this is weird but perhaps he is drinking the water now and will pay for it when he leaves? (also a way to get me upset btw). I notice then he puts it to his lips for a split second and then lowers the bottle back down, you ask what was he doing JJB??? He was CHEWING TOBBACO IN A GROCERY STORE!!! WTF people?!?!? Don't do that sh*t in a store, damn that is gross!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-20-2011, 05:26 PM
I'd heard that a bottle from a company that likely would aid an alligator was the preferred portable spittoon today.

JEDIpartner
08-22-2011, 03:08 PM

It became acceptable when it became socially acceptable for "everywhere" to become owned by Starbucks, Dunks, McD's or whatever coffee merchant exists in your region.