PDA

View Full Version : POTJ, Boring?

Jek Porky 2002
03-02-2002, 08:56 AM
Now that I have seen all the Attack Of The Clones figures I have lost all interest in Power Of The Jedi, is this just me or does Power Of The Jedi not do it for you either anymore?

Dryanta
03-02-2002, 09:18 AM
I hate to admit it but the same has happened to me.If the last 4 figures I need from the line weren't brand new characters I have to wonder if I'd even bother with them.

Rollo Tomassi
03-02-2002, 09:25 AM
Just the opposite. AOTC makes me sorry to see POTJ go.:(

Sith Vicious
03-02-2002, 11:45 AM
Eeth Koth and Zutton didn't do much for me, but I'm more excited about the Teebo wave than most of the AOTC figures.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-02-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Just the opposite. AOTC makes me sorry to see POTJ go.:(

I agree 100% with Rollo - Hasbro did so much better with sculpting and detail and more articulation on POTJ than they've done an anything else and those EP2 toys look horrific...like lil bubbly plastic 2 year old toys! :)

Jek Porky 2002
03-02-2002, 02:55 PM
I don't no how anyone could hate AOTC, they look so realistic, thats why you hate Zutton and Eeth Koth because there so realistic and look alot like the Attack Of The Clones figures.

pthfnder89
03-02-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
Now that I have seen all the Attack Of The Clones figures I have lost all interest in Power Of The Jedi, is this just me or does Power Of The Jedi not do it for you either anymore?

Actually I'm just as excited about the latest waves of POTJ figs as I am about the new AOTC figures. I got the Bo Shek wave and Bo is one of my favorite figures ever.

And I'm still trying desperately to get my hands on a couple of Rebel Fleet Troopers. No luck yet..:(

Turbowars
03-02-2002, 04:02 PM
I can't say I hate AOTC figures, because I haven't seen them in person. I can say I'm not impressed with them so far. I much rather see POTJ continue. I didn't like EP1 and I probably wont like EP2, the new movies seem to lack the "STARWARS" theme and feeling, but I'll have to wait and see.

Beast
03-02-2002, 04:04 PM
I don't consider POTJ boring at all. I thought that 95% of the stuff that we got in POTJ was pretty darn cool infact. There were some clunkers, like the first collection 1 wave of figures. But things improved greatly after that in my honest opinion. I'm excited as heck for the AOTC's figures, and only two of them so far would I really consider clunkers. The Padme: Arena Escape and Anakin: Outland Peasent Disguise are just bad figures. All the rest look pretty good to me, especially the later waves of figures like Luminara and Chancellor Palpatine. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
03-02-2002, 05:06 PM
The only boring thing about POTJ was the generic cardbacks and the "algae green" that they decided on. The previously-done characters got fantastic makeovers, and the new characters were great. I just hope that 2003 and 2004 give us incredible figures at a more reasonable price. Bespin Chewie, Djas, and Ephant Mon are a great kick-off to the quality we've known in off-movie years.

I'm anxiously awaiting the POTJ forum to close down and a Unified (IV-VI) forum to rise. By then hopefully we'll have a price range on the Imperial Shuttle, and I can start the "IS: Whims and Wishes" thread. :)

Onward and upward.

LTBasker
03-02-2002, 06:04 PM
I love the POTJ line, especially alot of the later waves like the FX-7 wave, Eeth Koth wave, EW Vader wave and the upcoming Teebo wave, theres only a few figures throughout the line I don't like that much. As for AOTC compared to POTJ, well POTJ is far superior, but I like alot of the figures in the AOTC line plus as they drop the gimmicks like pop-up arm Padme or lightsaber-out-of-the-arm Anakin and Kit Fisto's lightsaber chop action then this stuff should return to meet POTJ standards.

Jargo
03-02-2002, 07:36 PM
I really really want them to stop with the action legs on AOTC. It's ashame that a cool alien character like Kit Fisto was saddled with a gimmick that will take careful customising to get rid of. I think we can all dicount the padme and anakin figures outright like the silly TPM lightsaber out of the back deluxe figures. But Some of the new AOTC figures look nice and comparable to POTJ ones.

I'm happy with the POTJ quality mostly apart from the awful new plastics and wilting accessories. The way some of the later figures have apalling drop off or snap off limbs and heads is a bad omen for the toys. I hope after reading some of our complaints Hasbro addresses the quality issues. Especially the bad paint applications.

But no, POTJ isn't boring in any way. It's a heck of a lot more exciting than looking at figures from a movie I don't know yet. I'm growing accustomed to TPM so some of those characters are growing on me and I'll welcome some of them into my collection. But I'm more excited about the classic characters coming out because I know them so well. It'll take a good couple of years before i get accustomed to seeing AOTC characters and seeing them merge into the overall saga - if they ever do. I'm actually more stoked for episode three than episode two. I want to see how the prequels end. Anyway, I've seen most of this new movie in pictures and trailers now. there can't be that much left to see that hasn't been flushed away by LFL or spoiled around the net.
Hopefully Lucas will tighten the net really tight for the last movie and we'll all be left in the dark and have a more pleasant time for it. kind of how it was for The Empire Strikes back. I know I know - vain hope:rolleyes: :(

InsaneJediGirl
03-02-2002, 08:55 PM
The POTJ was a great line,with a few figures I hated.I still
cant find most of the line though,but thats not a big deal,it
all comes to me in due time.AOTC is..eh...okay,I will know
at 12:01 April 23rd.

sith_killer_99
03-02-2002, 10:23 PM
POTJ was a fantastic line. We saw with it new innovations such as more accuratly scaled figures, unique figures such as Dagobah Spirit Darth Vader, a few Expanded Universe figures (though they were really off the mark). We also saw better sculpts and sometimes Hasbro graced us with a little added articulation.

BTW, Jek I don't think anyone is complaining about the realistic look of the new figures. We all pretty much agree that most of them have nice sculpts.

Most do not like the 1 pose stances. I do not mind because I am a carded collector. I only open figures that I really like, or that are cool to play with.

Which means I won't have to worry about buying too many duplicate AOTC figures. Right now I only plan to open 3-4 figures from the new line's initial release.

Whereas I enthusiastically opened and kept 80% of the figres for the POTJ line.

What I find disturbing is the new play action features in the Star Wars line!!! Things like this REALLY destroy the quality of a figure. Just look at the EP1 deluxe line. Those figures were HORRIBLE.

Poor quality plastic, loose arm joints, stupid buttons sticking out their backs. If this is what we can expect form the play action features in the AOTC line, then I will NEVER open the ones that have these STUPID gimmicks!!!

For the first time since I started collecting, I truely feel sorry for loose collectors.
:(

LTBasker
03-03-2002, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Poor quality plastic, loose arm joints, stupid buttons sticking out their backs. If this is what we can expect form the play action features in the AOTC line, then I will NEVER open the ones that have these STUPID gimmicks!!!

For the first time since I started collecting, I truely feel sorry for loose collectors.
:(

Worry not, the only buttons would be on Deluxe Mace so far, everything is either a built-in mechanism or just doesn't have a mechanism, and the Deluxe Mace button for his firing force projectile is more or less well hidden. The only really revealing gimmick is the extending lightsaber blade on Anakin, they didn't put it in the arm and just add a tiny slit for the peg on the saber, but rather they did it just like the vintage figures, made the whole thing visible.

The only real bad part about alot of the gimmick figures is they're not designed quite right and you only play with the gimmick, not the entire figure like with Anakin, not really a whole lot you can do with him since he's only got 1 free hand and that's got the magnet gimmick for the blaster which he can't hold properly. The worst figures so far is Padme & Anakin, with Obi-Wan and Deluxe Jango right next to'em. (Kit Fisto's lightsaber action shouldn't be that bad if you just use it for display and wait for a possible resculpt.) The rest I think will be ok, the best figures of the entire line though I think are R3-T7 and the generic Battle Droid, all have their necassary articulation and no gimmicks plus they're greatly detailed.

Overall though, hopefully after the initial waves Hasbro should start dropping the as my signature puts it; "ancient gimmicks" and the energy blast blades (I Hope!!!!!) and get back to real SW figures. :)

Jek Porky 2002
03-03-2002, 10:54 AM
I can't believe you lot, you used to hate POTJ, now you love it, I bet when it's about time for Hasbro to move on and start a new line of better quility, you'll all love AOTC, you all seem to hate the realness of the figures, appart from Anakin Peasant that's just plain awfull. You're never ever happy.

Rollo Tomassi
03-03-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
I don't no how anyone could hate AOTC, they look so realistic, thats why you hate Zutton and Eeth Koth because there so realistic and look alot like the Attack Of The Clones figures.

I don't care for Zutton because he's an ugly big headed holiday special freak, and I don't care for Eeth Koth because he can basically just stand there and do what he's doing. No piloting an X-Wing for Eeth Koth. Nosiree.

also by JP2K2
I can't believe you lot, you used to hate POTJ, now you love it, I bet when it's about time for Hasbro to move on and start a new line of better quility, you'll all love AOTC, you all seem to hate the realness of the figures. You're never ever happy.

Show me exactly where I said I used to hate POTJ. When you can't find it (because it's not there) realize you shouldn't throw out blanket accusations. There are some dogs in POTJ (Zutton , Eeth Koth) but I am and always was very satisfied with the line.

Jargo
03-03-2002, 11:22 AM
Jek, our quibbles with POTJ are the same as they are with AOTC. We have complaints with figures who defy actions when they are supposed to be action figures. The definition of action figure to my knowledge has always been a figure you can pose in different actions not pre-posed in one action like a statue. These same quibbles were also applied to POTF2 figures like salt shaker royal guard because he was a one piece figure wrapped in a hard plastic robe shell. there was nothing he could do so he wasn't an action figure. he's supposed to be a soldier and able to use his staff which is why the AOTC version makes the good list because he's posable - sort of... You don't need figures like Chancellor Palpatine or Orn Free Taa to move much because they aren't action characters but soldiers and heros should be able to move and have decent articulation and neutral poses to facillitate action poses we choose.
if you actually look at the posts about AOTC figures from those who don't like them, you'll see that we actually do like the odd bit here and there but the quibbles are all the same.

We don't like gimmicks and we don't like pre-poses. Simple. The wonders of the POTJ line were the detail qulaity and the fact that mostly the figure were pretty neutrally posed. I never liked the holding guns with two hands in a permanent pose but overall the figures were good. you can at least get most of them in vehicles they're supposed to be able to pilot. Plus you can also get other characters in vehicles too. But with the AOTC figures you can't get a single mace or Plo or Kit Fisto or Shaak Ti or whoever to pilot a Jedi starfighter because hasbro have dictated that only the characters who fly a certain vehicle will fit in them. That's not right at all. and we'll complain about it until they make figures that can be posed several ways and fit the vehicles we want to put them in etc. Is that hard to fathom?

My fears about classic figures also having the same poo AOTC treatment with poses are coming true with figures like Han Solo Endor. He's posed running and no amount of twisting his legs will stop him from being in a running pose only. How can you play with a figure like that? It defies the whole point of figures. It's a really nice looking figure but i won't buy it because it's useless to me. i want to see the figure with a more neutral pose so that i can decide whether he runs or stands or sits. That's where the action part comes into things. he needs to be able to perform actions. All he can do is one action.

Amanamike
03-03-2002, 11:43 AM
POTJ was probably the most diverse line up so far!! I cant say AOTC figures are not gonna come close, they might. But POTJ was responsible for all those cool new characters weve all wanted for years, and Hasbro did a pretty good job delivering them to us. There were a few losers in the bunch, but hey no one says Hasbro is perfect.:stupid:

JEDIpartner
03-03-2002, 05:04 PM
POTJ produced some of the best figures to date. The scale and detailing was the most accurate out of all the lines... even the new AOTC figures, which look more like toys than the POTJ and E1 line combined!

I'm sad to see them go and see the travesty known as the "new blue card" line take over.

Beast
03-03-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
The scale and detailing was the most accurate out of all the lines... even the new AOTC figures, which look more like toys than the POTJ and E1 line combined!
Psst, hate to break it to you. But they are toys. :D That's why they are in the toy aisle of the toy store. Anyone sensing a pattern here? Besides, not everything in the E2 line is bad, frankly other then the craptastic Anakin: Peasent Disguise and Amidala: Arena Escape, they look pretty good. And they definatly look better then most of the first figures in the E1 line. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
03-03-2002, 07:09 PM
That's a little blinkered to only cite the initial figures from episode one. we're talking the whole line here not just the first couple of waves. And the first waves are what we've seen of AOTC plus a little further in. The second waves of AOTC still have problems with poses.

My views on the AOTC figures are based on what to expect in later waves not these initial figures coming out in April. the trend has been set with hasbro's 'exciting' new direction and I don't like it plain and simple. difference of opinion. period.

Beast
03-03-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
That's a little blinkered to only cite the initial figures from episode one. we're talking the whole line here not just the first couple of waves. And the first waves are what we've seen of AOTC plus a little further in. The second waves of AOTC still have problems with poses. My views on the AOTC figures are based on what to expect in later waves not these initial figures coming out in April. the trend has been set with hasbro's 'exciting' new direction and I don't like it plain and simple. difference of opinion. period.
The only reason I only cite the initial E1 figures is because they improved vastly after the first waves. Same thing is true with further figures in the E2 figures. Is it so bad that the Jedi's have action posed legs, if they are 95% of the time they appear on film they are in a similar stance? Sure it would be great if they could give us a figure that could have a neutral pose, as well as an action pose. But how would they be able to do that with flowing dresses and cloaks? Look at Luminara, if they were to articulate the legs so that she could stand straight, what about her dress? Not to mention the amount of articulation it would take to for them to be able to do both a neutral pose as well as an action pose would make the thin legs structuraly weak.

I do hope that some of the more action posed figures, will get a re-sculpt later on if they appear elsewhere in the movie just standing around. As for the action features, they can dump Anakin's extendo saber and Padme's gun drawing action in the toilet and flush those away. Hopefully re-sculpts of those two figures are a definate priority. The magnet's arn't to bad, though I am glad they don't appear on Collection 2 figures. And the Obi-Wan one isn't that bad, cause he'll look good hanging from the assassin droid. The later waves are a definate improvment over the first ones, just like in 1999's E1 line as well.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
03-04-2002, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Sure it would be great if they could give us a figure that could have a neutral pose, as well as an action pose. But how would they be able to do that with flowing dresses and cloaks? Look at Luminara, if they were to articulate the legs so that she could stand straight, what about her dress?

Yeah, that's very true, I mean can you picture her in a neutral pose with that dress? Marylan (sp?) Monroe of SW. :rolleyes: :D

Rogue II
03-06-2002, 06:48 PM
I don't think POTJ has been all that bad. However, I only collect characters from ANH thru ROTJ. The Silver Anniversary sets wern't bad, but they wern't great either. On the upside, we only got 1 new Luke out of this line(not counting the deluxe bacta tank).

I do have one question....Why do all of Hasbro's Han Solos have his legs in such a wierd pose? I noticed this in POTF2 and POTJ.

Maybe it's just me.

sith_killer_99
03-06-2002, 09:46 PM
Because Han always seemed to be running around.:crazed: hehehe LOL

Rogue II, some of the EP1 figures from the POTJ line were truely EXCEPTIONAL! I especially like the Shmi Skywalker figure with honerable mentions to Coruscant Guard, Gungan Warrior, Mas Amedda (great likeness anyway), Plo Koon, Queen Amidala Theed, Saesee Tinn, and Sebulba.

I'm just wondering why you chose not to buy any of the EP1 figures in the POTJ line. Did you just hate the movie? Was it the characters themselves? Or did you not like the way Hasbro made those figures?

Rogue II
03-07-2002, 04:32 PM
I agree, some of the POTJ EP1 figures are pretty cool. But to keep the size of my collection down, I decided not to collect EP1. I thought EP1 was an ok movie. I hope EP2 is going to be better.