PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Fingerboard Happy Meal Toys

Lord Malakite
09-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Just a heads up, McDonalds just started a new Star Wars Clone Wars Happy Meal promotion (for boys) today. This time the toys are finger skateboards (with temporary tattoos). There are 9 total. There will also be 6 Strawberry Shortcake toys (for the girls), so be certain to specify you want the SW toy if anyone here plans on getting these. Promotion runs from September 17th to October 14th.

Anakin Skywalker
Captain Rex
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Yoda
General Grievous
Cad Bane
Commander Cody
Mace Windu
Asajj Ventress

Maerj2000
09-18-2010, 12:35 PM
These are okay but I wish they would have a Happy Meal promotion where they gave out accessories for the 3 3/4 inch figure line. Guns, mini-mini vehicles, background items, etc. I'd buy plenty of Happy Meals for stuff like that. With the popularity of the Clone Wars I don't see why they don't have a Clone Wars cereal with things like that as prizes.

Another Happy Meal idea wopuld be to have some really nice mini ship replicas, or helmets, weapons or whatever. It would be cool if they could come up with something that would appeal to kids and collectors.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-19-2010, 10:10 PM
These are okay but I wish they would have a Happy Meal promotion where they gave out accessories for the 3 3/4 inch figure line. Guns, mini-mini vehicles, background items, etc. I'd buy plenty of Happy Meals for stuff like that. With the popularity of the Clone Wars I don't see why they don't have a Clone Wars cereal with things like that as prizes.

Another Happy Meal idea wopuld be to have some really nice mini ship replicas, or helmets, weapons or whatever. It would be cool if they could come up with something that would appeal to kids and collectors.
I bet the licensing between McDonald's and Hasbro would be too costly to pursue something like this. It's an interesting idea but I doubt it'll ever happen.

They handed out some of the skateboards for free at CV with the swag bag at least three out of the four days; I missed one of them due to waiting in line for the Lucas/Stewart interview, but I'd much rather have seen that than skip it to get one of these. :D That said, I've never been a fan of anything skateboard-related, but I'll still pick up the rest of these.

Lord Malakite
09-20-2010, 02:45 AM
Picked up a few of these fingerboards today. A few things to note.

First, there is at least one happy meal box for this promo. Oddly, most of said box matches the generic red smile box commonly seen on the commercials over the years. I think this is the first time ever seen said smile box used in an actual toy promo and not just a random McDonalds commercial. Only one of the side panels on the box is Star Wars themed.

Second, the characters on the tattoos match the characters on the fingerboards much like the character tattoos matched the character keepers (from the previous Star Wars Happy Meal promo from earlier this year). However unlike the character keepers, the fingerboards don't come with their corresponding tattoo. If you want to obtain the Cad Bane tattoo (for example), you actually have to get the Anakin Skywalker fingerboard (and so on). The list I provided above are in the correct Happy Meal toy # order (according to the package name/included fingerboard). Not 100% certain as which tattoo comes with which board though.

Another Happy Meal idea would be to have some really nice mini ship replicas, or helmets, weapons or whatever. It would be cool if they could come up with something that would appeal to kids and collectors.
An interesting idea, though their are a few potential problems with it. First, the toy companies involved with kids meals and cereal prizes usually are lesser (almost unheard of companies), not the better known companies involved with the retail store level toy lines. Second, usually a toy in a kids meal or found as a cereal prize has to be able to stand on its own. Parents wouldn't like it if they feel like they are being forced into having to buy some sort of companion piece because said kids meal toy was no good without it. I also doubt all fans would like said concept because that in turn forces their hand to put up with the extra aggravations of cereal prize/restaurant toy collecting (limited time period to find everything, dealing with clueless employees, the random/rarity factor, resorting to ebay/scalpers, etc.) otherwise miss out on said item forever for their 3 3/4 inch figure line.

As for things that appeal to both kids and collectors, that is just a rheme of one's own personal preferences when you get down to it. I consider myself a collector, for example. While I can't say these fingerboards are my most favorite promo, I as a collector can say I was actually happy as could be hunting down the Super-D figures/vehicles from both Burger King Kids Meal toy promos, the bobble-head vehicles from the first McDonalds Happy Meal promo, and the character keepers/vehicle launchers from the second McDonalds Happy Meal promo.

Going along with the "accessories for the 3 3/4 inch figure line" thing though, you could always use fingerboards to create an army of Imperial Skate-troopers. :p

Lord Malakite
09-21-2010, 01:00 AM
Alright, I now have the tattoo order

Anakin Skywalker fingerboard (Cad Bane tattoo)
Captain Rex fingerboard (Anakin Skywalker tattoo)
Obi-Wan Kenobi fingerboard (General Grievous tattoo)
Yoda fingerboard (Asajj Ventress tattoo)
General Grievous fingerboard (Yoda tattoo)
Cad Bane fingerboard (Commander Cody tattoo)
Commander Cody fingerboard (Obi-Wan Kenobi tattoo)
Mace Windu fingerboard (Captain Rex tattoo)
Asajj Ventress fingerboard (Mace Windu tattoo)

DarkArtist
09-22-2010, 08:42 AM

i love this concept...definately would love to see some small accessories packs or even perhaps exclusive figures (made by Hasbro) included in cereals or happy meals...that would be awesome...much better then this skateboard things...

sadly like others have mentioned it most likely will never happen...Hasbro would charge way to much to share and exclusive wave of figures or accessories with cereal companies or happy meals to warrant this ever happening. although an easy way to make this happen would be if a company like General Mills worked with Hasbro to have the wave of figures spread out over different cereals (maybe five unique figures and accessories for 5 different cereals).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-24-2010, 01:18 AM
I got four more of them today - so in addition to the Obi-Wan and Rex from CV, I have Anakin, Yoda, Grievous, and Cad Bane, meaning I still need Cody, Ventress, and Mace. I actually like the look of these - the different colored wheels make the images pop nicely. At $1.79 each, they're a bit more than I'd like, especially since a damn Happy Meal is only 20 cents more (er, isn't it?). But still, they're fairly cool.

Slicker
09-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Star Wars and skatesboards? It's a match made in heaven! I think it was density...I mean...destiny.

Lord Malakite
10-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Completed my set of finger skateboards Saturday.

El Chuxter
10-02-2010, 11:22 PM
My daughter always picks the "boy toy," because the girl toy typically sucks. However, she has chosen a Strawberry Shortcake statuette over the Star Wars skateboards. Twice*. And she doesn't even like Strawberry Shortcake.

This is one promotion that was intended entirely to get adults into McDonalds.

(*--I only took her once, today, because she was begging. The other time was with her uncle, last week. I don't need to double-destroy my circulatory system.)

Lord Malakite
10-02-2010, 11:56 PM
My daughter always picks the "boy toy," because the girl toy typically sucks. However, she has chosen a Strawberry Shortcake statuette over the Star Wars skateboards. Twice*. And she doesn't even like Strawberry Shortcake.
Can't say I blame her. Those Strawberry Shortcake figurines don't look half bad compared to some of the previous "girls toy" offerings I've seen, plus they smell like fruit. Boy's for once got the short end of the stick this time (probably why there three more SW skateboards than there are figurines). These are probably my least favorite of the three SW McDonalds promos done thus far in the US. I do like the pictures on the boards and the tattoos though. The different colored wheels, as JabbaJohnL previously stated, are also a nice touch.