PDA

View Full Version : Clone Wars phase II helmets

JediTricks
09-18-2010, 02:56 PM
This is an odd turn of events. With the films, I really didn't like the phase I helmet design, aka "the sad puppy", it was too narrow, the visor was too thin, and it just didn't do it for me. Meanwhile, the phase II looked better, good enough for me to buy multiples where the AOTC look I only bought a small handful.

Yet with Clone Wars, those phase I helmets all the clones were look pretty good, I like them. The helmets are wider and tapered more realistically, the visors are bigger, and the bottom of the helmet is sharper and doesn't have that impossible underside lip.

Last night was the debute of Clone Wars' phase II helmets on the ARC Troopers. I wasn't expecting anything outrageous after seeing the Hasbro battle pack of them, but in the episode I was surprised to find I didn't like them that much. They don't deviate far from the ROTS look, but the lines are slightly puffier, especially the area around the bottom where the vocorder and air connections are is closer together than on the movie version. Also, the cheeks cut into the helmet even more, and the visor and "mouth" are smaller. The ring around the base is an odd, bulbous shape, and the seams on the sides don't taper into that ring.

Compare this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:News_ep3_clonetrooper1.jpg
to this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:ARC_trooper_TCW.jpg
(ignore the Fett rangefinder, and the top fin)

JEDIpartner
09-18-2010, 03:53 PM
...and according to Filoni, this wasn't 100% phase II armour, apparently. It was an experimental transitional armour. *shrug*

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Even though we haven't seen much of this design yet, I like it. It sounds like the clones will still have the phase I armor for the rest of Season 3, at least, so it's possible that some changes could be made by the time the rest of the troops make the switch.

JediTricks
09-18-2010, 04:18 PM
...and according to Filoni, this wasn't 100% phase II armour, apparently. It was an experimental transitional armour. *shrug*Well, I hope they change it then, I don't care for it. The top fin suggests it's transitional. Ironic since the whole f'ing point of the phase II armor is a transition from PT to OT. ;)

Even though we haven't seen much of this design yet, I like it. It sounds like the clones will still have the phase I armor for the rest of Season 3, at least, so it's possible that some changes could be made by the time the rest of the troops make the switch.You like everything Clone Wars, remember? :D :p

Hasbro called the ARC Troopers battle pack a "preview", so I think it's easy to assume that there will be phase II helmets on regular clones later on in this season.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-18-2010, 04:58 PM
You like everything Clone Wars, remember? :D :p

Hasbro called the ARC Troopers battle pack a "preview", so I think it's easy to assume that there will be phase II helmets on regular clones later on in this season.
Well someone here has to like it. :D

I took my info from the StarWars.com Dave Filoni episode commentary, where it still sounds like the phase I will be throughout (at least most) of the season.

I'm not entirely sure that the Hasbro set is completely accurate, as they have the weird almost-Fordo kind of guy in the phase I armor who wasn't in the show, along with Rex, who's not an ARC Trooper. And those other guys are supposed to be ARC Troopers (hence the title of the pack), which matches the style of last night's episode if not the exact details.

nohagent
09-18-2010, 07:51 PM
I hope the dont push to phase II too quickly.

Where as we all know it benefits hasbro to show new characters in the show so they can sell us new items of the shelves, I dont want Clone Wars to press to forward and get us to Episode 3 and thus be the end of the Clone Wars series.

I know the at CV Filoni told us he will make Clone Wars as long as it has an audience I also fear that if they run out of items to sell it will quickly doom the series.

Who knows, I just woke up so I may not know what I am talking about.