PDA

View Full Version : Is This An Actual Figure?

Jek Porky 2002
03-02-2002, 09:58 AM
Remember when starwars.com did that article on laser scanning, and showed that green Anakin model, is this going to be an actual figure or was this just an example of what the scanning can do?

derek
03-02-2002, 11:05 AM
at first i thought it was an actual figure, but jeditricks pointed out that it was a computer scan. if they do release an anakin like this later on, it will sure make the peasand disguise ani look really bad.

Beast
03-02-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
Remember when starwars.com did that article on laser scanning, and showed that green Anakin model, is this going to be an actual figure or was this just an example of what the scanning can do?
Yeah, it's just a real scan model of Anakin. The real scanning doesn't actually produce the figures. It produces a 3 dimensional model that the artists can use to sculpt the figures from. Real scanning a 6' tall charecter and then reducing it down to a figure the size of 4" looses alot of detail, so the sculptor still is needed, they use the model as a sculpting refrence. It works better then using photographs, like all the other figures so far have been. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
03-02-2002, 06:46 PM
I think Jek means "will that scan be used to create a figure?", and my guess is "no" because the limbs were too close to the body and also because only accessories and heads were being realscanned for toy design assistance, not full-body scans.

LTBasker
03-02-2002, 07:21 PM
Although a line of 1:1 scale real scan head busts would be cool. Or maybe at least 6" scale... :D

Beast
03-02-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Although a line of 1:1 scale real scan head busts would be cool. Or maybe at least 6" scale... :D
There is some plans to do this exact thing. I was looking for the article that showed someone scanning in a Boss Nass maquette for the POTJ figure and came across this. Looks like you will get exactly what you thought would be so cool. This info is from TheForce.net and they got it from Rebelscum. :D

Busted Clones
Mon, Jan 21, 02 08:43:33 AM EST

With the popularity of character busts and statues in the collectible market, it's no big surprise that Gentle Giant Studios (of Real Scan fame) casts some plans of their own for Attack of the Clones. According to the latest issue of ToyFare magazine (Issue #55), the Burbank, CA based company is planning on releasing Star Wars busts starting with characters from Episode II: Attack of the Clones. Each will costs under $50 and limited to a scant 2,500 pieces. Future projects are in place for Gentle Giant to access the vaunted Lucasfilm vaults and scan items from the original trilogy. Karl Meyer, Gentle Giant's President, promises them to be "3D photo realistic" and with "a lot of attitude". Look for the new Star Wars busts to make their debut in time for AOTC's release this coming Spring!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
03-02-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I think Jek means "will that scan be used to create a figure?", and my guess is "no" because the limbs were too close to the body and also because only accessories and heads were being realscanned for toy design assistance, not full-body scans.
Actually they did to do full body scans, it says so in the article that was posted on the official site. Here is the excerpt from it.

"For Episode II we came to Australia and we brought an arsenal of scanners," explains Karl Meyer, President of Gentle Giant Studios," including a head scanner, an object scanner, a full body scanner and also a scanner that is specific to scanning large objects like speeders or spaceships or sets."

Gentle Giant uses laser scanners to digitally record the geometry of real world objects -- faces, bodies, props, and more. Once recorded as digital information, those features can be reproduced in a variety of forms. The polygonal shapes can be used to create video game models, virtual stand-ins for visual effects sequences, or-- of greatest interest to collectors-- exact likeness and detail for toy figure sculptures and accessory molding.

You can read the whole article over at the official Star Wars website, the addy for it is: http://starwars.com/collecting/feature/20010315/index.html . Plus, I am sure most of you remember the full body scan Jango that was on display at last year's toy fair. Now if I could find that darn picture of them scanning the Boss Nass Maquette. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks