PDA

View Full Version : What State Is Springfield In?

Jek Porky 2002
03-02-2002, 09:19 AM
Does anybady know? Has it actually been confirmed on the show or is it still a bunch of rumors?

These are the states it's definatly not in:
Alaska
Hawiai
Florida
New York
There are more but I just can't think of them at the moment.
One of my friends is about 95% certain that it is Alabama and another friend thinks it's Kentucky, so do any of you know?

Rollo Tomassi
03-02-2002, 09:40 AM
That's the running joke. There's a town called Springfield in every state in the Union.

Jek Porky 2002
03-02-2002, 09:48 AM
Oh, I didn't know that, I'm not really up to date on the geography of America.

derek
03-02-2002, 10:02 AM
wasn't it revealed what state the simpsons are in one episode? didn't they dub it for all 50 states for it's original release and then just play the "missouri" line for re-runs?

Wolfwood319
03-02-2002, 10:38 AM
In that "Behind the Laughter" episode, they say they are a small family from eastern Kentucky, but there is no Springfield in eastern Kentucky.

No, I think Springfield was picked because that way they would never have to say what state they were in.

What other town has a harbor, gorge, forest, mountains, etc... all in the same locale?

Mandalorian Candidat
03-02-2002, 10:57 AM
Of course we know where Springfield is. It's in the state with the capital called Capitol City.:rolleyes:

One of the best gags of the show, IMO, is how they tease about where the city is. There's the episode with Rodney Dangerfield when he's chasing down Mr. Burns' train and yells to the conductor "What state is Springfield in?" and as the response is given the train whistle blows. I remember another when the family is looking at a map of the US and someone goes to point where Springfield is and Bart sticks his head in the way.:D :D :D

Jek Porky 2002
03-02-2002, 02:23 PM
Also there is that episode where the comet is headed toward Springfield and, someone in parliament says, "Springfield in the great state of"... and they are interupted by someone else.

El Chuxter
03-04-2002, 09:25 AM
There're several bits like that, like the time Apu is studying for his citizenship exam and points out Springfield on a US map. . . right as Bart blocks the "camera." There's also lines like, "[It's only legal] here and in Missississippi" on a fairly regular basis.

Springfield is in a state on the west coast, but in the heartland. It has snow, a canyon, a desert, a coast, and is just upriver from the Gulf of Mexico. You could go through each episode individually, trying to decipher clues, but each state would be eliminated several times.

JediTricks
03-04-2002, 08:29 PM
Wolfwood, in "Behind the Laughter", I think it was "Northern Kentucky" and future airings of this episode, it was changed to a different state, Missouri. However, while BtL was an out-of-canon episode, this was later confirmed in season 12 or maybe this season.

SithDroid
03-04-2002, 11:24 PM
I've always guessed that it was in Missouri, but anyway it doesn't matter. After all it is just a cartoon. No one seems to say "Hey, where's Bedrock? I'd like to know what State the Flintstones were from.":D :crazed:

Jek Porky 2002
03-05-2002, 08:52 AM
Probably somewhere like New Rock or North Rockota.

SithDroid
03-11-2002, 12:15 AM
In tonights episode Lisa said that Branson Missouri was over 1,000 miles away. If we are to assume this then we can discount most of the states in the midwest, the south, and on the east coast.

States diqualified (if according to Lisa)

1. Missouri
2. Arkansas
3. Louisiana
4. Mississippi
5. Alabama
6. Florida
7. Georgia
8. Tennessee
9. Kentucky
10. North Carolina
11. South Carolina
12. Illinois
13. Indiana
14. Ohio
15. West Virginia
16. Colorado
17. Texas
18. Michigan
19. Minnesota
20. Nebraska
21. South Dakota
22. Wisconsin
23. Rhode Island (has no Springfield at all)
24. Oklahoma (has no Springfield at all)
25. Iowa (has no Springfield at all)
26. North Dakota (has no Springfield at all)
27. Kansas (has no Springfield at all)
28. Wyoming (has no Springfield at all)
29. Utah (has no Springfield at all)
30. New Mexico (has no Springfield at all)
31. Arizona (has no Springfield at all)
32. Montana (has no Springfield at all)
33. Washington (has no Springfield at all)
34. Nevada (has no Springfield at all)
35. Connecticut (has no Springfield at all)

Everywhere else is over 1,000 miles away.

We can discount Hawaii and Alaska because we know they are in the 48 lower states.

So that leaves us with

1. California
2. Oregon
3. Idaho
4. Pennsylvania
5. New Jersey
6. New York
7. Massachussetts
8. Vermont
9. Maine
10. Virginia
11. Delaware
12. Maryland
13. New Hampshire

Not bad, narrowed it down to 13 just from that one clue given tonight.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-11-2002, 10:32 AM
Nah, Springfield has to be on or near the Mississippi River. Everytime they listen to the radio it's to a station called KBBL. Last night when Bart jumps into the car with Grandpa outside the Retirement Castle they turn on WOMB. Since all stations beginning with K are on the west side of the Mississippi and W on the east, they have to live somewhere extremely near the two, meaning they are about right on the river.

About the 1000 miles to Branson, I think know-it-all Lisa was exaggerating.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-11-2002, 10:45 AM
They've mentioned going to other states in several episodes, or that something happens in other states. They are (off my memory):

Missouri
Mississippi
New York
Texas
Nevada
Tennessee

I noticed the radio station, too, Mand Cand. And yes, there is both a Springfield and a Shelbyville in Kentucky (but no Capitol City, :( ); each about 40-50 miles southeast of Louisville.

SithDroid
03-11-2002, 03:38 PM
I think that they don't care what state Springfield is in. If they did they would give better clues. So far so many of them contradict each other that it is impossible to even narrow it down. Oh well, I like that they never say what state it is in. It is one of those questions that should never be answered. Kind of like how Kenny is always killed off in South Park. You always know it is coming. It is a little wierd that Kenny is no longer on South Park though. That's ok though because I like that Butters has taken his place kind of like how Mr. Twig took Mr. Hats place for a while.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-11-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
I noticed the radio station, too, Mand Cand. And yes, there is both a Springfield and a Shelbyville in Kentucky (but no Capitol City, :( ); each about 40-50 miles southeast of Louisville.

Well, it may make sense to "have" Springfield in KY. After all there is Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel and that redneck bar in the county over.

warren
03-13-2002, 01:17 AM
hey ... I was just browsing the net and came across this anime site :)
http://www.mecca-anime.com/I-Con/i-con.html
which is having a game fair somewhere at
The Crowne Plaza in Springfield, IL.

So I guess that puts Springfield somewhere in IL doesn't it !!! :eek: