PDA

View Full Version : Boardwalk Empire

El Chuxter
09-26-2010, 01:11 AM
Almost a week after the premiere, and no thread for this? There oughtta be a law.... :mad:

I finally got Chux Jr to bed early enough tonight to watch the first episode.

I don't want to spoil things (yet), but this show fills the void left by both The Sopranos and Deadwood, and it fills it superbly.

However, one question for anyone who was watching: obviously, there's a Deadwood-style mix of historical figures (Capone, Luciano), fictionalized characters based on historical ones (like Enoch Thompson being based on Enoch Johnson), and totally fictional ones. When Jimmy is being questioned by the feds, one of the agents looks remarkably like J Edgar Hoover. It'd be bending facts a bit to place Hoover there, but does anyone know if that was supposed to be him?

TeeEye7
09-27-2010, 03:48 PM
I missed the Hoover connection completely as far as the actor's looks. I'll have to re-watch the first episode. I doubt it would have been him but who knows? This is Hollywood.

I really like the casting for this show. So far, it's worked really well.

Really shocked to be introduced to Jimmy's mom! (That's all I'll say here). YIKES!

Looking forward to the rest of the season.

El Chuxter
09-27-2010, 04:05 PM
It wasn't Hoover, after all. They revealed his name in the second episode: Nelson Van Alden. And it appears he's going to be a major character going forward.

But he really does resemble a certain reputed tranvestite and former head of the FBI.

And, yeah, I totally thought Jimmy was having an affair, even after he said "Mom," until the dialogue confirmed it really was his mother. Shades of Oedipus there.

I hope we haven't seen the last of Capone and Luciano in the show, but I've got a pretty strong feeling we haven't.

TeeEye7
09-28-2010, 03:06 AM
Van Alden has very minor shades of an Elliott Ness character to me with his brief intro so far. We'll see what happens next.

I agree about Capone. I think he and Jimmy will be "punks" for a while before they transform into Gangsterous Primes. I'm curious how the writers will approach their early days.

Still can't get Jimmy's mom's greeting out of my head.......

RooJay
09-28-2010, 05:08 AM
Awesome show! I'm seriously hooked!

El Chuxter
09-28-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm not an expert on them, but, so far, I think the show has been fairly accurate in terms of Capone and Luciano... accurate in the Deadwood sense, that is.

RooJay
09-29-2010, 03:24 AM
They should spin-off Capone into his own show - the rise of Al Capone leading into a new version of The Untouchables by these same folks would truly rock my socks!

sith_killer_99
09-29-2010, 12:37 PM
I missed the first episode, but I did catch the new episode. This seems like a good one, and I will be watching.:thumbsup:

TeeEye7
10-11-2010, 12:13 AM
"I ain't buildin' no bookshelves". :eek:

sith_killer_99
10-12-2010, 04:06 PM
"I ain't buildin' no bookshelves". :eek:

Yeah, I'm really loving this show!:love:

RooJay
10-13-2010, 03:32 AM
Jimmy's mom and Lucy.:love::love::love:

TeeEye7
11-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Reach out and touch some one..... :eek:

sith_killer_99
11-01-2010, 11:25 AM
This show keeps getting better. I really enjoyed last night's episode!

El Chuxter
11-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Good lord and butter, the preview for the next few weeks looks stunning. If things go as it appears they will, with Capone and Luciano finding themselves on opposing sides in an Atlantic City gang war, I wonder how the writers will work it out so it jives with later real-world history.

RooJay
11-03-2010, 02:03 AM
I'm hoping we get to see Chicago on St. Valentine's Day 1929...

TeeEye7
11-08-2010, 08:09 AM
This thing just keeps getting better and better! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
11-15-2010, 01:33 AM
Indeed. I think we passed the "best show on TV" point several weeks ago, and it's just getting better. If those guys aren't careful, they might actually surpass Deadwood and The Sopranos, since they're all neck-and-neck right now.

Rocketboy
11-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Does it have zombies?

If not, I don't see how it can be the best new tv show of 2010.

TeeEye7
11-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Twists and turns, twists and turns. The greatest thing about this show is that about the time you think you know which way things are going.....you're wrong!

Excellent writing! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
11-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Does it have zombies?

No.

And that is why it is better. Even if Walking Dead is awesome, it loses points for having zombies, since zombies are lame. :D

RooJay
11-16-2010, 03:08 AM
Does it have zombies?

Well...a lot of the characters are walking dead - they just don't know it yet! Them D'Alessio Brothers got it comin', but good!

sith_killer_99
11-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Does it have zombies?

I honestly believe Steve Buscemi is a real zombie.:laugh:

UKWildcat
11-17-2010, 10:59 PM
I've been watching this one... was hooked after the first episode, hell, the first 10 minutes! Great show! I'm stoked that there are three more episodes left too, thought there was just one, possibly two left, but three is good! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
11-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Dang, more happens in a single episode of BE than entire seasons of some shows. Chalky drawing his guns on the Philly boys after the slip-up about the Packard was priceless, as was Jimmy's "I wasn't going to, but you sorta talked me into it."

Van Alden's path has taken him somewhere I never expected. Never. That is one strange man.

Steve Buscemi and Michael Shannon both better get some love come Emmy time if there's any legitimacy left in that award.

RooJay
11-25-2010, 03:02 AM
Michael Shannon is awesome, and Van Alden is one hell of a compelling character. Down with the freaky deaky!

TeeEye7
11-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Nelson goes nuts! :yes: :eek:

sith_killer_99
11-28-2010, 11:48 PM
Nelson goes nuts! :yes: :eek:

No joke. WOW!!! :eek:

RooJay
12-01-2010, 03:30 AM
Did not see that one coming!

Also, I could watch an entire show about just Richard Harrow! What an awesome character!

El Chuxter
12-01-2010, 06:12 AM
It's on my DVR... haven't seen it yet because of the kids... this is killing me!

TeeEye7
12-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Also, I could watch an entire show about just Richard Harrow! What an awesome character!

Absolutely! He would be a great stand-alone character! However, I'm still looking forward to seeing what he and Jimmy will cook up next!

RooJay
12-02-2010, 01:56 AM
Absolutely! He would be a great stand-alone character! However, I'm still looking forward to seeing what he and Jimmy will cook up next!

Sounded like he was really hoping to kill that one guy's family...

TeeEye7
12-02-2010, 03:21 AM
Sounded like he was really hoping to kill that one guy's family...

Which is both horrifying and intriguing as he said it so matter-of-factly. Love the writing for this show! The characters are great!

El Chuxter
12-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Methinks Nelson is going to be in trouble. Killing a dude in front of an entire congregation, that's something even a federal agent would have trouble getting out of. Especially an agent who's sort of seen as a bit obsessed.

It's funny to see folks' predictions on Facebook; all you have to do is crack open a history book (or pull up Wikipedia) to see that Rothstein and Torrio will live for some time to come, and that neither Luciano nor Capone will yet be the giants of the mob world that they'll eventually become.

TeeEye7
12-06-2010, 03:28 PM
*Rubs hands togther* Mwahahahahahaha! Good!.....Good!

Loyalties questioned and lines blurred....alliances questioned, new ones forming...sounds like an SW plot line!

I think Nucky's revelation to Margaret has shown her his weakness and she'll use it to her advantage....BUT....we have to wait until next season to be sure! :frus:

El Chuxter
12-06-2010, 09:22 PM
I think Lucky will strike up an affair with the Commodore. That's what Eli and Jimmy were there for: to run interference.

El Chuxter
12-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Looks like the show, as well as Steve Buscemi and Kelly MacDonald, were nominated for Golden Globe awards.

Where the &^%$ is the love for Michael Shannon? Van Alden has got to be the single most $%^&ed-up character on television, and it can't be an easy task to portray him so well.

TeeEye7
10-01-2011, 04:14 PM
K-Wrap! I missed the premier due to work! I saw half of the first episode on Thursday night (Van Alden at his best!). Thank goodness HBO let's hunt down shows you've missed. I'll watch the whole thing before Sunday to get up to speed.

Chux, where are you!?

TeeEye7
10-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Don't.Mess.With.Chalky.
(Again)

sith_killer_99
10-03-2011, 06:55 AM
A good woman is hard to find! Though I have to admit I saw it coming. lol

El Chuxter
10-10-2011, 01:41 AM
This season is really quite amazing.

I see some bad blood coming between Lucky and Jimmy very soon. Also some animosity between Lucky and Rothstein. This new guy (I forget his name) looks to be quite the badarse in his own right, holding his own against Harrow.

I still think Eli and Jimmy are going to eventually side with Nucky against the Commodore. They're already planting the seeds, and it would go way too much against actual history for Eli to permanently be opposed to Nucky.

Chalky White definitely holds the current title of baddest arse on television. And Van Alden continues to be so insane that it's impossible to predict what he'll do next.

TeeEye7
10-25-2011, 02:58 AM
Scalped?! YEEEOWWW!

Jimmy must have learned some pointers from Chalky...

RooJay
10-25-2011, 04:35 AM
Thank God for that dog, am I right? I am not prepared to lose one of the best characters ever spawned by televison!

TeeEye7
10-27-2011, 02:52 AM
Thank God for that dog, am I right? I am not prepared to lose one of the best characters ever spawned by televison!

Richard rocks!

RooJay
10-27-2011, 02:55 AM
Richard rocks!

Best character on television! Possibly ever! Wonder what it would take to get him a spinoff?

El Chuxter
10-27-2011, 02:43 PM
I know what I'm going to be for Halloween!

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/10/see_a_halloween_mask_for_board.html

RooJay
10-28-2011, 03:35 AM
AWESOME! Man, why didn't I think of this as a costume before?! Maybe next year (hopefully Mr. Harrow's still around by then!)

El Chuxter
10-31-2011, 08:02 AM
I didn't expect Agent Van Alden's house guest. :eek:

RooJay
11-02-2011, 04:23 AM
Yeah, somebody's got some splainin' to do! I got a kick out of his "I did it for us! That baby is for you!"

TeeEye7
11-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Richard and Nelson need their own shows.

El Chuxter
11-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Very good episode last night. Lots of stuff brewing just under the surface, lots of questions raised. Did the would-be assassin shoot Nucky in the hand on purpose on Jimmy's orders, for instance? I've got a feeling Jimmy might eventually "go Nero" and kill his domineering mother--he's definitely torn between her and Nucky.

Nice to see that it's deviated so far from the historical record as to be completely unpredictable. I seriously doubt Eli Johnson would suggest that conspirators "just kill" Enoch Johnson, and Enoch's allies Luciano and Capone probably wouldn't be down with that. Nice "alternate universe" history they're setting up here.

And Margaret.... Damn. You do anything nice for that woman, even as small as offering to help sweep the freakin' floor, and she puts out. I hear that once a dude behind her at the grocery store checkout lane told her she dropped a penny, and she spent a weekend in Hawaii with him as a result. And never even saw a single palm tree. :beard:

TeeEye7
11-08-2011, 03:28 PM
I was (happily) surprised to see Nelson not cave in to Nucky's attempt at blackmail. His unpredictability is what makes his character so fascinating.

TeeEye7
11-21-2011, 12:49 AM
I'm lovin' William Forsythe's character as Manny Horvitz. It's such a far cry from his character (which I also love) as Evelle Snoats In Raising Arizona...

RooJay
11-30-2011, 04:06 AM
I'm lovin' William Forsythe's character as Manny Horvitz. It's such a far cry from his character (which I also love) as Evelle Snoats In Raising Arizona...

William Forsythe is always awesome! Anyone else remember when he was Al Capone? The last scene of the latest episode was brutal! I was shocked even though I saw it coming! Jimmy's going to be out for blood, and I have a feeling Mr. Forsythe might not be on this show much longer...

TeeEye7
11-30-2011, 03:20 PM
With only a couple of episodes left, I hope Manny makes through to at least the beginning of next season (maybe Jimmy/Manny will be fodder for a cliff-hanger at the end of this one?).

I was shocked at the result, too, but knew Manny was on a mission...and it didn't matter who was in the way. I'm curious to see if Mickey Doyle is still with us given the way Manny likes to persuade people.

TeeEye7
12-12-2011, 07:13 AM
Twists and turns! Twists and turns! Oh, my!

C'mon next season already!!

sith_killer_99
12-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Spoiler Alert
I can't believe they killed Jimmy. I want them to take back the last episode!

On a side note, Nuck really screwed up, killing Jimmy and leaving Richard alive. BIG mistake! I predict Richard will take out Manny and go for Nuck. Just a little piece of advice, when taking out a guy, make sure he's not the only friend of a suicidal sniper with nothing to lose.

RooJay
12-13-2011, 03:36 AM
It feels like they killed off the main character after that one (even though that's supposed to be Nucky!) Few of the characters are as likeable and relatable (in spite of Jimmy's very obvious flaws) on this show. It was shocking and an interesting turn, but I'm not sure this was a good turn for the show. And yeah...Richard is going to go all beastly on Jimmy's enemies now!

TeeEye7
09-24-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm really liking Gyp Rosetti as the new bad guy among bad guys so far. Got my eye on Billie Kent, too. Not sure what to make of her, yet. This should get interesting.

Sorry to see William Forsythe go. I guess he's too busy with his own new series.

El Chuxter
09-24-2012, 08:27 PM
I didn't realize he played Flattop!

I'm sure part of why they iced him is that he's the rival of a real-life Philadelphia gangster (Waxey Gordon), who they can't kill, and who (if they stick fairly close to facts) has to wind up allied with Nucky. That won't happen with Manny in the picture.

TeeEye7
09-26-2012, 02:50 AM
I didn't realize he played Flattop!

One of my favorite characters is his portrayal as Evelle Snoats in the Coen Bros. Raising Arizona, which I must stop and watch any time it's on.

TeeEye7
09-30-2012, 11:21 PM
I want to see Nelson UNLEASHED!

El Chuxter
10-01-2012, 07:36 AM
I'm surprised we haven't yet. He looks about ready to snap. And his run-in with the corrupt fed is going to make him question what he thought he knew about the system, so methinks he's going to be O'Banion's baddest enforcer since he'll no longer care about right and wrong.

El Chuxter
10-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Calling it right now: Based on Harrow's discussion with Nucky and Nucky's recurring nightmare, Rosetti is going to kill or harm one of Nucky's adopted kids, probably his son. Harrow, probably without even being asked by Nucky, is going to end this irritating b*****d in short order.

Rosetti is the only thing about this show I hate, but I love that he's going to be dead meat probably by the end of this season.

TeeEye7
10-01-2012, 10:08 AM
That's what I like about the Rosetti character: you just love to hate him! He's an extraordinary creep!

I agree....someone's going to build a book case with him.

El Chuxter
10-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Factor in that Rosetti's cozying up to Jillian, and Harrow hates Jillian for trying to make her grandson forget Angela ever existed, and I'd say it's 110% certain that Harrow will be firmly on Nucky's side by the end of Season 3. His saying he didn't blame Nucky for Jimmy's death because Jimmy was a soldier and chose his path kinda reinforces that.

And it's always awesome to see Doyle get his comeuppance, even if he somehow manages to survive.

But, yes, I foresee much buildin' of bookcases in the very near future.

TeeEye7
10-09-2012, 02:30 AM
Keeping Owen "in line"...do you also think Nucky suspects any shenanigans with Margaret, too?

El Chuxter
10-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Not sure. It looks like it may be a moot point now.

Last night's episode was stellar. I loved the way they set it up as if Rothstein and his crew were doing the exact opposite of what they were up to. I was fooled up until I realized who the gunman was, I'll admit it--and, until this was reported to Nucky, I suspected it was Luciano going behind Rothstein's back for his own reasons.

Nucky's affair with Billie is disastrous. It's harming his relationships with Margaret, Eddie, and Rothstein. I'm willing to bet she's going to die when Rosetti gets his revenge.

Good to finally see a payoff developing in the Van Alden/O'Bannion subplot. That man's going to wind up dirtier than any of the bootleggers he once chased.

But, really, I could've lived a happy life without ever seeing Little Rosetti. :eek:

TeeEye7
10-15-2012, 03:34 PM
I ain't no cabby.

It's HBO, after all...

But, really, I could've lived a happy life without ever seeing Little Rosetti. :eek:

TeeEye7
10-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Really enjoyed the scene between Esther Randolph and Nucky at breakfast at the diner. Wonderfully written dialogue!

El Chuxter
11-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Well, I expected what happened at the end of tonight's episode to happen, just a bit later in the season. Oh, there will definitely be some bookcases not getting built next week. (Though I think the teaser's implication that Rothstein, Torrio, and Rosetti are all gunning for Nucky is a big old red herring.)

Not quite sure where the hospital subplot is going. I hope it gets wherever it's going soon, though. Definitely have a feeling that Owen, Harrow, and Chalky are going to be the big wild cards in what's coming down. Not sure that all of them are going to make it.

I can't remember for sure: when Van Alden was in Atlantic City, did he ever encounter Capone?

TeeEye7
11-05-2012, 12:45 AM
I can't say for certain, but I don't think Van Alden's and Capone's paths have crossed. If they did, I think Van Alden would remember a younger Capone and not the one we know now.

El Chuxter
11-05-2012, 12:48 AM
I can't say for certain, but I don't think Van Alden's and Capone's paths have crossed. If they did, I think Van Alden would remember a younger Capone and not the one we know now.
I was actually thinking Capone remembering Van Alden. This whole subplot with "Mueller" is going to come to a head as he gets more and more batpoop insane. I'm not sure how yet... not that it matters, because the trip to that point is going to be awesome.

Didn't realize Gaston Means was a real person until I looked him up because I couldn't quite place Stephen Root. Now that I can place him, I find it awesome that Bill Dauterive is a recurring character on BE.

TeeEye7
11-05-2012, 04:00 PM
I need Santa to bring me Seasons 1 and 2. I honestly can't remember if Capone knows Van Alden. Yes, Nelson Unleashed is earmarked to be epic!

TeeEye7
11-07-2012, 03:37 PM
I watched the latest episode in espaņol last night (hooray for being bilingual!). Dialog is about 100% of what it is in English. I just wish Nucky's voice was more mature. Gillian Darmody's and Billie Kent's (or should I now say Went) voices are surprisingly close. A valiant effort to copy Richard Harrow's voice, but no cigar.

Comparing the voices reminds me of watching a certain little science fiction movie when I was a student in Spain....

El Chuxter
11-19-2012, 12:40 AM
Owen, Harrow, and Chalky...Not sure that all of them are going to make it.
Sometimes I hate being right. They actually made the now deceased into a very interesting character this season. I'm hoping a conversation from a few episodes back really brings the wrath of God down on Rosetti in cold-blooded, half-masked form, and not some nasty run-in between the a*****e psycho and someone else.

Too bad Masseria will live for another nine years and is safe, though, after this episode, it ought to be really interesting to see if they'll explain why Luciano would be behind his death.

TeeEye7
11-19-2012, 02:04 AM
1)- Go Richard!
2)- Make Chalky mad? Really Nucky?
3)- Didn't see that one coming so soon (delivery).
4)- What's a girl gonna do?

El Chuxter
11-19-2012, 10:20 AM
For #2, well, there are only two episodes left. Makes sense to get it out of the way now and up the stakes for the finale.

Potential spoilers ahead if anyone else is reading; don't say you weren't warned!

Looking at the little clues dropped throughout the season, if I were a betting man, I'd put everything on Harrow putting an end to Rosetti, and I think I know what will bring this about (though I don't know specifics). I think it's a bet so safe Rothstein couldn't pass on it.

There's the conversation between Nucky and Harrow from earlier. He makes a point to say he killed Horowitz, not for any business-related reason, but because he killed Angela, who was uninvolved in the whole mob thing. He makes a point to say that Nucky and his family have nothing to fear from him, though he obviously knows what happened to Jimmy, because Jimmy chose his fate, and also says that Nucky's family was good to him. The ongoing drama with Jimmy's kid and his beau are definitely getting him into a more "family" state of mind, but his practically killing her dad for disrespecting her (it was subtle but obvious he didn't care what was said about himself) show he still has the same sense of honor and tendency to violence.

I don't recall the writers' names, but they previously worked on The Sopranos, where dreams were incredibly important. Several times early in the season, Nucky dreamed of his stepson with a bullet wound. Gyp Rosetti knows who his kids are (I believe both were up during the New Year's party when he was present), and they've shown several times he really doesn't give a crap about anyone but himself and will kill someone for absolutely no reason. He's siding with Gillian, who Harrow can't help but hate already, and I'm guessing he'll kill or wound Nucky's kid. When that happens, he's as good as dead.

Then Luciano negotiates the cease-fire (partly as an F-U to Gillian) and comes out on top without anyone else realizing it.

Truth is, the Van Alden subplot is getting more interesting, and I hope it's not prematurely ended with the season. We know there's another season, so I hope the end of this one just sets it up.

TeeEye7
11-21-2012, 02:38 AM
Nice analysis, Chux.

I think we also had the question answered with the Van Alden/Capone meeting as to whether they've met before.

Bring on the cliffhangers!

TeeEye7
11-26-2012, 12:02 AM
"Mr. Harrow?"

"Not now. I'm busy. 65, 66, 67, 68, 69....."

El Chuxter
11-26-2012, 02:17 AM
You're insane.

Judging from that teaser for next week, he's at least on 85. :D

Looks like I was wrong about Luciano brokering the deal, unless he does it from behind bars. Also didn't factor Capone getting directly involved. I'm still betting Rothstein negotiates the peace (between Nucky and Masseria) after Harrow provides some much-needed ventilation to Rosetti's skull.

Really hoping to get some follow-up on Van Alden next week, too.

El Chuxter
12-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Harrow is officially the baddest aise on television. Or in any medium, ever, period. It would be impossible to out-do his rescue of Tommy without becoming cartoonish and absurd.

The intrigue surrounding Arnold Rothstein is becoming quite... intriguing. Didn't expect his open betrayal of Luciano. And now the US Attorney General's going to be looking very closely at him. Very, very interesting.

El Chuxter
12-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Okay, I don't want to link to it because of the language and excessively (outside the context of the show) graphic violence, but, from the time the first bullet strikes one of Rosetti's men to Harrow shooting the guy holding Tommy hostage, it's less than four minutes (the YouTube video clip is 3:54, and I can find no evidence it's not in real time). I'd say we could add one minute for simply entering the building and getting the first clear shot, but it's reasonable to think Harrow was keeping an eye on the Artemis Club and waiting for a chance to strike, and simply walked in when Masseria's thugs left, which occurs in the same video.

Think about this for a second. One guy, missing an eye, no less, accomplishes in less than four minutes what the combined forces of Nucky Thompson, Chalky White, and Al Capone couldn't in, what, a week or so (counting only the bloodiest portion of their war).

Al Capone, the real-world head of Chicago's underworld less than a decade later. Al Capone's men. And Chalky White, the bad*** who ain't building no bookcase.

Damn, Harrow is BAD.

RooJay
12-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Mr. Harrow is my hero! I hope he's not now going to ride off into the sunset like Shane. I also don't want to see him die, and would love it ever so much if he not only survives this whole thing, but manages to find his redemption and decides to live out the rest of his life and raise Tommy as his own son, with his lady love at his side. I really, really want a happy ending for Richard Harrow, but something tells me we're not going to get it.

TeeEye7
12-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Sunday night sure do suck now.... :(

JimJamBonds
06-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Ok, I'm late to this party and I've only seen seasons I & II but dang this show is great! Not as good as Deceased Timber but still very good. I took down season II in less then 3 days!

El Chuxter
06-16-2013, 12:22 AM
Harrow returns (well, at least the show he's in returns) the day before my birthday in September! HBO knew just what I wanted!!

El Chuxter
09-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Baddest man on TV still holds his title (though Purnsley wants to give him a run for his money).

I totally thought the dude who got his throat slit in the first scene was Van Alden. So did Mrs. Chux. Maybe they should've had someone who looked a little less like Michael Shannon in the role?

TeeEye7
09-16-2013, 02:04 AM
Is it me or is it s-l-o-w moving thus far?

TeeEye7
09-23-2013, 12:14 AM
What did Emma whisper to Richard when he was leaving?! I couldn't make it out!

Things are looking interesting now.....finally! Might be some book case building in the future.

TeeEye7
10-02-2013, 04:12 PM
This thread is infested with crickets.....

El Chuxter
10-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Crickets that are wondering whether we've just witnessed the beginning of the downfall of Arnold Rothstein.

TeeEye7
10-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Hmmm....not so sure about that, yet.

I'd like to see more of a story develop with the Harrow siblings! There's got to be a bunch of deep, dark secrets there!

El Chuxter
10-06-2013, 08:35 PM
The man's only got four years to live, and, IIRC, he was on a bit of a downward spiral his last few years. Just saying, the man in the poker game last Sunday is not the Arnold Rothstein we saw in Season 1.

I have this crazy feeling that if the show goes through 1928 (which I don't doubt it will), we might find out a little more about a certain notorious unsolved murder. And that it might somehow involve a bug-eyed guy from Atlantic City who sounds a lot like Randall from Monsters Inc.

TeeEye7
10-08-2013, 04:12 AM
Nooooooooo! Not Eddie!

El Chuxter
10-14-2013, 12:47 PM
"I wouldn't put something alive in a box." Holy crap, that must be the best foot-in-mouth comment in TV history, and the subtle but noticeable responses from both characters were Emmy-worthy.

I'm actually thinking about this season what a lot of people said about Season 2 or Season 3: it's good, but it's progressing rather slowly. I like it, but it seems like it's getting padded more than a little. The Tampa subplot doesn't interest me much. I actually can't stand the "tough broad" stereotype bartender whose name I can't be bothered to remember. The only good thing about this subplot is the potential repercussions of Meyer and Lucky (well, until he was caught) going behind Rothstein's and Masseria's backs.

It didn't help matters that there was nothing about the Capones, Van Alden, or even Gillian last night. The return of Harrow to Atlantic City almost made up for it, and I eagerly anticipate where that's going, but the balancing act between the various characters hasn't been managed as well in Season 4.

I hate Valentin Narcisse. But it's in the same way I hated Gyp Rossetti. He's a great "villain." I want him to be put down like a rabid dog, but it's fun to watch him. (I can't help but think that since he's based on an historical figure, but they changed his name completely, he's doomed.) I'm noticing a lot of major parallels between that subplot and the main plot of Season 2: Chalky (like Nucky) is practically undisputed as the top of his game, when an external force (Narcisse/the Commodore) turns his right-hand man (Dunn/Jimmy) against him. I'd actually be a little disappointed if it plays out the same way. I love Chalky; he's one of the best characters on the show, easily. But resorting to almost the same plot would be lazy. It would be more interesting to see how the African-American underworld operates in a post-Chalky world, where Narcisse seems to have no interest in exercising direct control, and Dunn certainly doesn't have what it takes to pull it off. Not to mention no one knows how Dunn would deal with Nucky if there was no Chalky, particularly with the racist Narcisse pulling his strings. (Yeah, it's not reverse racism. It's the same whichever way it's pointed.)

I was a bit disappointed with Chalky at the end of last night's episode. I always thought of him as having a strict code, even if it's a twisted one, and seeing his family as the most important thing in his life. Of course, she totally seems like a plant from Narcisse, and he's let his guard down, so I think he might be building some bookcases soon. :(

The best part was what seemed like it should be the weakest: Eli, Mickey, and Agent Knox. Mickey's alternating between throwing out jokes and being scared to death of Eddie's room was priceless. And Knox thinks he got what he wanted from Eli in an unwitting informant, but the bit with the handkerchief seems to indicate Eli might secretly have the upper hand. (Who the hell is "JTM," by the way?)

TeeEye7
10-15-2013, 03:14 AM
Good sir, that is a Pulitzer Prize-winning post!

I can only add that Chalky's four word description of Narcisse was another classic moment for his character. I was taken aback by the writing of those lines.

El Chuxter
10-26-2013, 11:25 AM
The little revelation about Knox and Gaston Means last week threw me for a loop. As did Hoover's taking credit for Knox's theory, and Knox's reaction. At this point, I have no idea where this is all going, but it sure looks promising.

Unfortunately, as much as I hate to say it, I have a feeling the great Michael K. Williams will not be returning next season. :cry:

El Chuxter
10-28-2013, 12:08 AM
Well, that played out the way I hoped, but not the way I expected. A bookcase was most certainly not being built this evening.

Wonder how long we'll have to wait to see if Eli nodded or not.... I'm thinking not, but, then again, he may be more loyal to his son than his brother.

TeeEye7
10-29-2013, 02:45 AM
I'm on the fence about Eli. I, too, am hoping he will see that he was only trying to be helpful with Willy and remains loyal to Nucky.

Hoping to see Van Alden unleashed next week!

El Chuxter
10-29-2013, 02:07 PM
In any case, Eli knows for certain that Knox is not the hayseed he seems.

Also, a quick glance at Wikipedia tells me the real Gaston Means was tried and went to jail in 1924, the year Season 4 takes place. I cannot help but think that this will play a major role in Knox's subplot.

TeeEye7
11-05-2013, 03:32 PM
"This is not a good time!"

--George Mueller (aka Nelson Van Alden)

El Chuxter
11-05-2013, 06:01 PM
I have to wonder how that's going to play with Capone. If he sent those other guys to kill O'Banion and they beat Van Alden to the punch, he could be in trouble.

Then again, I'm not sure Van Alden is ever truly in trouble. He just crazies his way out of every situation. Not that I want either to die, but I hope that, at some point, there will be a Harrow/Van Alden showdown of sorts. That should prove interesting.

Other than that, Rothstein definitely on the downward slope, Narcisse about to be killed (or kill; that mother's pretty insane himself), Nucky currently neutral in the Narcisse/Chalky war (though next week's preview, if not a quote out of context, suggests that might change), Gillian's beau is definitely not what he seems but I've no idea what his game is, and holy crap, did Richard Harrow just replace Eddie Kinsler as Nucky's right-hand man?

The Eli teaser looks like he's selling Nucky out. However, he's also shown asking his son if something is what he really wants, which might be a life in the family business....

TeeEye7
11-06-2013, 02:57 AM
holy crap, did Richard Harrow just replace Eddie Kinsler as Nucky's right-hand man?

I have been working w-a-y too many hours. THAT didn't even dawn on me! That would be very interesting on many levels: security, of course, but Richard was in Margret's good graces as well. He'd be an interesting ally if Nucky's looking to patch things up with Margret and the children.

El Chuxter
11-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Well, it looks like if "right-hand man" means "dishwasher at the club," I was right! :D

I've got to think Richard will be the wildcard again this season. Which I'm cool with. He's working at a club that is now nominally controlled by Narcisse. He's a white guy. And we already saw there was some resentment until Chalky personally vouched for him. Narcisse, being one of the biggest racists in recent TV history, isn't going to be cool with that quiet white dude washing dishes. And Richard sure as hell ain't going to be cool with someone messing with the kids of one of his friends, which I wouldn't put past Narcisse now that he knows who they are.

And as for Chalky, damn. That man is an utter bada** even when he's wounded and seemingly down for the count.

Nucky (sort of) on the run in his own town again? I'd complain this was repetitive, but it always seems to lend itself to some serious awesome.

As for Eli, I think we're getting the mother of all red herrings here. Whether with Nucky's cooperation or not, he's feeding Knox wrong information. It's hinted at this week, albeit really subtly. Eli's told Knox about their Chicago contact... who's been dead for two years. And he claims he doesn't know anything more current. Which is utter BS. Look at the end of last season. It took place less than a year prior, and Eli personally went to get Torrio and wound up dealing with Capone instead. I think, either on his own or with Nucky's support, he's playing with Knox. The minute he found out what William got himself into, he knows Nucky tried to protect him (meaning both William and Eli) at great personal and professional risk.

TeeEye7
11-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Oh.....CARP!

El Chuxter
11-26-2013, 10:48 PM
I probably won't see it for a few days.

But whatever ****tard intern does the official Facebook page already spoiled it. :mad:

JimJamBonds
01-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Ok I'm a season behind but hey I don't have HBO so back off will ya!?!? Anywho I finished season III and that was good. I didn't like Gyp and was happy he died but was surprised how it happened, I was also surprised that Gillian died as well, I was happy to see Mr Harrow kick some butt and thought Billie Kent was cute as all get out.

TeeEye7
01-04-2014, 10:45 AM
*Spoilers* When you see Season 4, JJB, be prepared that all isn't as it seems from your post above...

El Chuxter
01-04-2014, 10:50 AM
I finally watched the Season 4 finale last night.

Gawd, I love this show.

TeeEye7
01-04-2014, 05:09 PM
To quote Tom Petty: "The waiting is the hardest part". C'mon Season 5!

JimJamBonds
01-05-2014, 02:06 PM
*Spoilers* When you see Season 4, JJB, be prepared that all isn't as it seems from your post above...
Yeah 2-1B told me about Red. Apparently her season 4 storyline is similar to the movie Over The Top....minus the arm wrestling.

El Chuxter
01-09-2014, 07:33 PM
http://www.slashfilm.com/boardwalk-empire-ends-with-fifth-season/

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

JimJamBonds
01-10-2014, 01:59 PM
http://www.slashfilm.com/boardwalk-empire-ends-with-fifth-season/

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/
Well I'm a year behind so I can't fully comment but I'm glad it'll go on as long as it will. I did some looking into the real life Nucky and there are 3 ways it could end, of those 2 are good for Nucky. I'm guessing it'll end the same way it did for the real life Nucky.