PDA

View Full Version : Troopers going yellow - while still in the package!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-28-2010, 12:04 AM
I had seen this mentioned on various other fan sites, but never checked for myself until a day or two ago. Sure enough, some of the Saga Legends clone troopers - I checked the Shock Trooper and 501st Trooper - have limbs or other parts going yellow while still on the card. It seems like Hasbro might be cheaping out on the plastic, or maybe diverting the better stuff over to Vintage and Clone Wars (though I've also heard about the new Goji having the same problem). I already have just about all I want from the current round of Legends, so it's not a huge issue, but it is still somewhat troubling.

El Chuxter
09-28-2010, 12:22 AM
Stop peeing on your toys, JJL, and that won't be a problem. :p

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Stop peeing on your toys, JJL, and that won't be a problem. :p
At least I wait to pee on them until after I purchase and open them - that I can explain! This is something else entirely. :D

JediTricks
09-28-2010, 04:50 PM
I mentioned this was happening on TAC Stormtroopers in a recent thread, and that got to the discussion, and I do believe someone brought up those figures. Then we got into a detailed discussion about WHY it might be happening, came to no consensus, and tabled the whole thing.

How recent of SL are we talking about though? Surely not 2010 "shadows" packaging, right?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-28-2010, 06:02 PM
I mentioned this was happening on TAC Stormtroopers in a recent thread, and that got to the discussion, and I do believe someone brought up those figures. Then we got into a detailed discussion about WHY it might be happening, came to no consensus, and tabled the whole thing.

How recent of SL are we talking about though? Surely not 2010 "shadows" packaging, right?
Which thread?

And yes, I am most definitely talking about the current shadows card. I saw these ones at Target.

Blue2th
09-28-2010, 07:43 PM
I saw an ROTS Clone Trooper yesterday still in the package at Walmart and the helmet had yellowed. I do believe it was in the Legends packaging.

JediTricks
09-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Dang, that's really bad, must be a mix problem at the factory.

This is the thread I started about figures yellowing: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=41635

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Dang, that's really bad, must be a mix problem at the factory.

This is the thread I started about figures yellowing: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=41635
Oh, right, right. Feel free to merge if you will. Though I thought it was noteworthy since it was happening to new (or at least new package) figures still on the card, which basically rules out light or environment having an effect on them.

JediTricks
09-29-2010, 03:20 PM
The idea that they're "going" yellow also seems to be out the window with these Clones though, they must have shipped out of the factory yellowed.

DarkJedi5
09-29-2010, 03:33 PM
The idea that they're "going" yellow also seems to be out the window with these Clones though, they must have shipped out of the factory yellowed.

But the figures we own that are yellowing weren't yellow when we bought them. There must be a process taking place that turns white plastic yellow over time. I think in these cases, the process has just been accelerated.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-29-2010, 07:34 PM
I haven't noticed any of these myself, but is there any chance it's meant to be some kind of "battle damage" or time fading on them? I doubt it; just asking.

bkusna
09-29-2010, 07:35 PM
I haven't noticed any of these myself, but is there any chance it's meant to be some kind of "battle damage" or time fading on them? I doubt it; just asking.
The only "damage" is in our wallets for buying these inferior products produced by peasants....

Blue2th
09-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Technically the ROTS Clone I saw had a sort of greenish tinted (removable) helmet. I guess you could call it yellowing. It was the same color as the helmets on my 12" AOTC Clones, that had faded to the same minty green color from being in storage for years.

So there is an ROTS Clone being offered in the Legends line, while at the same time in the TVC line? Is it the same Clone though with obviously inferior plastic?

This is perplexing.

DarkJedi5
09-29-2010, 11:51 PM
So there is an ROTS Clone being offered in the Legends line, while at the same time in the TVC line? Is it the same Clone though with obviously inferior plastic?

Nope, most notably, the Vintage clone has a removable helmet (with paint errors) and ball jointed hips.

Blue2th
09-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Nope, most notably, the Vintage clone has a removable helmet (with paint errors) and ball jointed hips.

I knew it was the one with the removable helmet that was yellowed I saw in Walmart. I checked again at TRU today and looked at the Legends and TVC Clone figures.
One legends ROTS Clone had his left arm that looked like it was yellowing, but the TVC ROTS Clone's helmet was unmistakably turning that green "yellowing" color. I was really surprised the supposedly higher quality TVC Clone was doing this more pronounced than the Legends one.

I've got plenty of Clones from years past, so I won't be buying any, but I feel sorry for anyone who wants to buy a lot of these.

JediTricks
10-01-2010, 03:52 PM
But the figures we own that are yellowing weren't yellow when we bought them. There must be a process taking place that turns white plastic yellow over time. I think in these cases, the process has just been accelerated.Perhaps, but the figures on shelves that are already being seen yellowed in only a matter of weeks after manufacture, far closer than several years that we've previously seen like on the TAC Stormtrooper. It couldn't be UV exposure IMO, it's too early for that much outgassing or plastic leaching, if the dye is breaking down right now it means the plastic is already breaking down. I would think they were simply bad material mixes, someone at the factory got their dye or plastic wrong. If this were acceleration, these figures would be so unstable that they would start breaking down in a matter of months which is highly unlikely.

I haven't noticed any of these myself, but is there any chance it's meant to be some kind of "battle damage" or time fading on them? I doubt it; just asking.No chance.

Technically the ROTS Clone I saw had a sort of greenish tinted (removable) helmet. I guess you could call it yellowing. It was the same color as the helmets on my 12" AOTC Clones, that had faded to the same minty green color from being in storage for years.

This is perplexing.Ok, I saw a couple of those helmets with the greenish tint yesterday, this is somewhat different from the yellow we're talking about on the chests. I even saw a green helmet on TVC Cmdr Cody, so that's pretty bad. The thing is, the helmets are PVC, not ABS like the chests. The 12" heads were also PVC in the Hasbro line.

There is an ROTS clone on shelves in SL and TVC at the same time, and the SL is superior and cheaper, while the TVC one has ball-jointed hips and a removable helmet. There was also a nearly-identical Vader like that, but they've since swapped it out for 500th Vader.

bigbarada
10-03-2010, 09:41 PM
This kind of thing isn't unheard of, it's just unusual. Anyone ever collect the old Star Trek: TNG action figures that were made by Galoob in the late 1980s? There were several variations of skin tone on the Data figures that started appearing before the toys even made it to the retail shelves: light blue face, dark blue face, speckled face, etc.

Then there is the whole tan limbed Klaatu and green limbed Chewbacca thing from the vintage Star Wars line. Although it's unknown exactly when those particular discolorations started becoming noticeable.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-12-2011, 01:34 AM
Some people on the JediDefender forums (http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=21486.0) were discussing how to get rid of this issue. Some people use erasers to take it off, and it's been working. A more intensive process involves heating water nearly to a boil, putting the helmet in, and wiping it off with a cloth soaked in the hot water. I'd like to give these a whirl, as just using room temperature water hasn't done anything the few times I've tried.

Snowtrooper
03-12-2011, 10:12 AM
I read this same thing over on RS. I haven't gotten around to trying it though. Maybe the whole problem is just a film on the plastic and not the plastic actually discoloring. Still, QC is supposed to catch and take care of these problems.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Maybe the whole problem is just a film on the plastic and not the plastic actually discoloring. Still, QC is supposed to catch and take care of these problems.

Yeah, it's just some kind of film or residue, it seems. And while this shouldn't be happening, it is, so we can deal with the figures we've already got and hope they fix this issue soon.

Blue2th
03-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Removable helmets never really impressed me that much anyways. Unless it's a distinctive clone with a unique face or scar like the Clone Wars, where this doesn't seem to be an issue yet.
The only impressive advantage I see in these TVC clones is the ball jointed hips. No big deal unless they're riding something.
No thanks, I've passed on all these TVC clones so far. They are the big pegwarmers these days, along with the Sandtrooper. Whooda thunk?

From what I've read at GH the new AOTC clone is even more superior with jointed wrists and ball jointed hips. I hope he doesn't have this problem with a yellowing helmet. I haven't seen one in the wild yet though.

Snowtrooper
03-21-2011, 08:34 PM
I can only speak about the one AOTC clone I have, but its a perfect white, no yellowing whatsoever. I haven't heard anybody complaining about it either, so maybe its not a problem.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-21-2011, 10:26 PM
I can only speak about the one AOTC clone I have, but its a perfect white, no yellowing whatsoever. I haven't heard anybody complaining about it either, so maybe its not a problem.

Same for me. I've seen two or three in the store and they all looked fine. I'd like to get a few more of this guy as well, even though I have around 50 clones in my Geonosis display already. It's just a fantastic figure.

DarkJedi5
04-27-2011, 08:57 AM
I got two of the new stormtroopers today from HTS and both showed noticeable yellowing on the helmets even before I removed them from the packaging. I'll try the fixes mentioned above to see how well they work on these guys.

JediTricks
04-28-2011, 03:15 PM
I saw one at Target yesterday with the same thing. It looked so bad, I just stashed him for someone else, I fear that's how all of them are going to look and I just can't see spending $9 on it (I also don't like the hips, so it made the choice that much easier).

nohagent
04-28-2011, 08:17 PM
passed up every utapau trooper ive seen due to this nonsense.

JediTricks
04-28-2011, 11:03 PM
The Utapau clone is an especially easy pass since they didn't correct the orange to match the film and the new Cody like they said they would. So they can screw it up all they want OR NOT, and it'll still be bad.

El Chuxter
04-28-2011, 11:04 PM
You'd think the Empire wouldn't allow their troops to turn yellow. Seriously, I think an unauthorized retreat would result in a photon torpedo up the butt.

bigbarada
04-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Lucas should just digitally "yellow" all of the troopers' helmets in the movies, this way the new TVC figures will be accurate.

Blue2th
06-01-2011, 11:10 AM
This is not limited to the ROTS Clone now. I went into a Walmart the other day and saw a TVC Stormtrooper with a discolored removable helmet. This is not as widespread as far as I can tell.

I am however noticing on almost all of them that the paint on the TVC Stormtrooper's helmet is sloppy with the upper black line going around the top of the helmet bleeding over into the eye's or visor of the helmet with no separation between these two black areas.

Again the TVC AOTC Clone doesn't seem to have this problem (yet)

I'm keeping all my past Saga Vintage Stormtroopers. Not only do they look cleaner in the paint apps, but who needs a Stormtrooper other than Luke and Han with a removable helmet anyways?

rmsceb
06-01-2011, 04:55 PM
The aotc helmet is made from a different material, it's not as soft as the other helmets, so hopefully that won't happen to that clone- it's a really great figure! I've noticed a lot of people don't like the removable helmets on clones or any troopers. I do like it though. Just think it adds to realism and just helps separate them from the 70/80's vintage & 90's figures that just look like toys. The better vintage figures coming out right now are amazing for collectors, and I think it adds variety to trooper displays if some can remove their helmets. But to each their own I guess. I just hope hasbro keeps making some troopers w/ removable helmets like the two new ones that are awesome! (aotc trooper & at-rt driver)