PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars - Officially coming to 3D!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-29-2010, 12:48 AM
As per the Official Site (http://starwars.com/movies/saga/announce3d/index.html):

Lucasfilm Ltd. announced today that the live-action Star Wars Saga will be converted to 3D! There are few movies that lend themselves more perfectly to 3D; from the Death Star trench run to the Tatooine Podrace, the Star Wars Saga has always delivered an entertainment experience that is completely immersive. Presented by Twentieth Century Fox and Lucasfilm Ltd., the cutting edge conversion will take that immersion to the next thrilling level, with Industrial Light & Magic supervising the project. Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace is expected to be released theatrically in 2012. A release date has not yet been determined.

"Getting good results on a stereo conversion is a matter of taking the time and getting it right," said John Knoll, Visual Effects Supervisor for Industrial Light & Magic. "It takes a critical and artistic eye along with an incredible attention to detail to be successful. It is not something that you can rush if you want to expect good results. For Star Wars we will take our time, applying everything we know both aesthetically and technically to bring audiences a fantastic new Star Wars experience."

Y'know, due to the long wait and so many setbacks, I was somewhat sure this was never going to happen. I don't love 3D, but I don't inherently dislike it either; I have more of a beef with how it's used, I suppose. Either way, this should be pretty sweet, even though my opinion on this has gone back and forth. At any rate, having the films on the big screen again will be great.

jonthejedi
09-29-2010, 05:18 AM
Sorry to hear it's not Episoide IV coming out first...oh well.

El Chuxter
09-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Gotta be honest, I'm not interested. 3D gives me a headache and generally looks bad. The only bits I'd be interested in dealing with the glasses to see in 3D would be the scenes of Leia in the bikini.

JON9000
09-29-2010, 09:41 AM
I love seeing the films in the theater. I have not been impressed with the transition of conventionally photographed films to 3-D, but the fun of seeing the OT on the big screen will be too much to resist. Take your kids if you got 'em!

autumnsdescent
09-29-2010, 10:31 AM
When I first heard Lucas talk about this at CIII five years ago, I was apathetic at best.

I have a 7 month old son right now. When EI hits theaters in 2 years, I'm excited to take him to this and watch Star Wars through his eyes!

DarkArtist
09-29-2010, 10:42 AM
looking forward to seeing the films once again on the big screen and really hoping that the 3D effects blow away anything this out there today.... can't wait... I just hope that it's not a 3 year gap in between the movies again...would love it if this was handled like the special editions and they were released one month after the other... that would be awesome.:thumbsup:

jamesbondo07
09-29-2010, 11:58 AM
looking forward to seeing the films once again on the big screen and really hoping that the 3D effects blow away anything this out there today.... can't wait... I just hope that it's not a 3 year gap in between the movies again...would love it if this was handled like the special editions and they were released one month after the other... that would be awesome.:thumbsup:

On G4 I was reading that they were going to release a movie each year starting in 2012.

JediTricks
09-29-2010, 03:15 PM
How long ago did I post an article about this? I don't even remember, but probably 6 years back, and then it didn't come to fruition... and now it has. I have little to no interest in it, but if it drums up interest in the saga, I'm not against it.

LTBasker
09-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Hmm, between this and the blurays... is Clone Wars on its final season or something?

JimJamBonds
09-29-2010, 05:17 PM
2-1B told me they will come out one a year, I don't like that at all. I'd rather have the project delayed a year or two and have the movies come out say every other month which would be similar to the release of the SE back in the 90's. If not every other month then every 6 months tops. If its a 6 year window to release them all who knows what the technology will be like in 2017??? I'm sure the state of the art in 2017 will look much different compared to what it was in 2012.

El Chuxter
09-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Having thought of this more, even with my aversion to 3D I'll likely go just so my daughter can see it on the big screen. Hopefully they finally fix the Yoda in TPM.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-29-2010, 07:45 PM
"How you get so 3-dimensional, eating food of this kind?"

"NOW Look at the size of that thing!"

"That was too closer!"

"How horrid, and totally in your face!"

"... my huge, green, friend."

"If Obi-Wan saw me doing this, after being so thrilled, he'd be very angry."

"And General, I thought you'd be taller and out in the theater more."

"Cover me (and Red 5, and Gold Leader, and Chewbacca), Porkins."

"But with the blast shield down, I can't see the 3-D..."

"At last we will reveal ourselves... more!"

and finally...

"Don't, do that again."

JetsAndHeels
09-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Any time that the SW films can be seen again on the big screen, I am totally in favor of. Having said that, Empire cannot get here soon enough.

El Chuxter
09-29-2010, 10:32 PM
"If Obi-Wan saw me doing this, after being so thrilled, he'd be very angry."

"Grumpy." He'd be very grumpy. How can you forget one of the most painfully silly lines of the entire series? :)

Neuroleptic
09-30-2010, 03:16 AM
I'll be happy to see the movies in the theater and it'll be a blast to bring my daughter to see them as she loves them.

Unfortunately though, I can not see in 3D due to being a little over half blind. Thus I do not know if I'll be able to justify the cost of the tickets to take my family to see movies I will almost certanly have on blue ray by the time the first one comes out.

I'll have to give it some thought. May pass up episode one and two as they just aren't that great. Empire and Jedi I'll have to see regardless of ticket prices as Empire is the best of the series, and Jedi is the first movie I ever saw in theaters when I was 3.

Background Character
09-30-2010, 06:03 AM
Between the ultra clarity of HD and the "in-your-face" of 3D, it'll feel as though I can just reach out and pull the zippers down on the Ewoks' backs from 83!

JimJamBonds
09-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Having thought of this more, even with my aversion to 3D I'll likely go just so my daughter can see it on the big screen. Hopefully they finally fix the Yoda in TPM.

Yoda will be digital in the Blue Ray release. They were showing footage of him as such at the SW concert tour.

Rocketboy
09-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Yoda will be digital in the Blue Ray release. They were showing footage of him as such at the SW concert tour.IIRC, There has been digital TPM Yoda footage since 2002, on the AOTC DVD doc "From Puppets to Pixels."

JimJamBonds
09-30-2010, 11:09 PM
IIRC, There has been digital TPM Yoda footage since 2002, on the AOTC DVD doc "From Puppets to Pixels."

I thought they put a digital Yoda in for Empire to show George, or is that from something else?

Rocketboy
09-30-2010, 11:22 PM
I thought they put a digital Yoda in for Empire to show George, or is that from something else?Possibly. Could be both. It's been a while since I've seen the doc.
I think they studied both Empire Yoda and TPM Yoda, then did a full CG TPM Yoda to show how it would look in the Prequels.
I could be way off though.

El Chuxter
09-30-2010, 11:54 PM
In a documentary on one of the prequel DVDs (I thought ROTS, but Rocketboy's saying AOTC), they show clips from the entire saga, and the Yoda in the TPM Council scenes is clearly CG and not the s***ty puppet.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-01-2010, 12:38 AM
From what I remember from the DVDs, when they were contemplating making Yoda CGI for AOTC, they put a preliminary version of the digital model into ESB as a test (and nothing more - we're never going to see CGI Yoda in ESB, aside from a small snippet in that doc).

When they were redoing the digital model for ROTS, that's when they put the newer model into TPM. I don't think it's ever been explicitly stated how much they did, but everyone assumes they replaced everything. The first time we saw this was on the ROTS DVD where, as I recall, they showed Yoda doing the "fear-anger-hate" speech. It wasn't among clips of the saga, as Chux said, but rather in a documentary or featurette similar to how it was shown on the AOTC DVD. The SW In Concert footage (and not the Musical Journey DVD) shows him doing a few various things, most notably saying "I sense much fear in you;" presumably, this is what Chux is remembering. Since then, it's been assumed - but never officially confirmed - that the CGI Yoda will appear in the Blu-ray and 3-D editions.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-01-2010, 09:51 PM
"Grumpy." He'd be very grumpy. How can you forget one of the most painfully silly lines of the entire series? :)But don't you realize that "Grumpy" was a dwarf, and there are several angry giants in literature? That's why I Lucasized that line, so it'd be more appropriater for 3-D. :yes:

JimJamBonds
10-01-2010, 11:53 PM
In a documentary on one of the prequel DVDs (I thought ROTS, but Rocketboy's saying AOTC), they show clips from the entire saga, and the Yoda in the TPM Council scenes is clearly CG and not the s***ty puppet.

Yeah that does sound right, and I'm pretty sure its ROTS and not AOTC.

2-1B
10-03-2010, 03:29 PM
what everyone and their mothers said about needing to replace TPM Yoda with AOTC/ROTS Yoda.

JimJamBonds
10-04-2010, 04:06 PM
what everyone and their mothers said about needing to replace TPM Yoda with AOTC/ROTS Yoda.

Don't you mean "What everyone and Slickers mother said..."

El Chuxter
10-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Nah, what Slicker's Mom said cannot be easily represented using letters.

JimJamBonds
10-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Nah, what Slicker's Mom said cannot be easily represented using letters.

That AND cannot be easily gotten past sensors. :D

Droid
10-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't care about 3-D, particularly of previously made movies. Look, that Stormtrooper is farther away than before! I will go see them for the novelty, but hope they are also in smaller theaters not in 3-D so that I can go enjoy them without being assaulted by them.

I hope that they put Yoda's arrival on Dagobah into Episode III; George was wrong - it should have benn IN the movie. I also think they should fix the crime against humanity and film a Qui-Gon scene for Episode III. Talk about a setup that went nowhere. I assumed the only reason he was in Episode I and stole everything Obi-wan's character was to do was so they could have a ghost mentor and then ... nothing.

I have a hard time getting newly excited about Star Wars anymore. I own all six films, in several different formats and versions. I can watch them whenever I want.

I do find it interesting that in 2017, when Jedi is out in 3-D, that it will have been 20 years since the Special Editions. That is more time than the fourteen years in between Jedi's release in 1983 and when it came out for the Special Editions ('97). (Though I think Jedi was re-released in '85 or '86 which would mean that it was even less time it was out of theaters before the special edition.)

JEDIpartner
10-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Star Wars in 3-D is a big ol' shrug moment for me. I'm barely interested in the whole 3-D phenomenon anyhow.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-03-2011, 05:41 PM
As stated on the Official Site (http://starwars.com/movies/episode-i/3dannouncedate/index.html):

Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox announced today that the 3D theatrical launch of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace now has an official release date -- February 10, 2012! Set against the thrilling and exotic backdrop of a "galaxy far, far away," Star Wars is perfectly suited to the immersive 3D theatrical experience, and Episode I delivers some of the Saga's most stunning and spectacular sequences -- from the Naboo invasion to the Tatooine Podraces to the climactic lightsaber battle between Darth Maul and the Jedi.
Supervised by Industrial Light & Magic, the meticulous conversion is being done with utmost respect for the source material, and with a keen eye for both technological considerations and artistic intentions.
So February 10 - right in the middle of winter, so hopefully it will do well with the lack of competition. Less than a year; that's pretty sweet!

El Chuxter
03-03-2011, 05:49 PM
I wonder if they picked the date because it's a palindrome (2102012)?

JediTricks
03-03-2011, 06:21 PM
I promoted your post to a news article, JabbaJohn.

Personally, I think Feb 10th is a date that will be utterly forgotten by audiences, it'll come and go with little interest. This really needed an early summer release to make a big impact.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-03-2011, 08:32 PM
I wonder if they picked the date because it's a palindrome (2102012)?Aha! LOL! :D

Beast
03-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Can't wait for this. Kinda surprised it's not getting a May release though to be honest.

But hey, the earlier the better. Guess it'll be the big Valentine's Day movie for 2012 :)

Since they're taking their time with the 3-D conversion, it should turn out pretty good.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Well, they released the Special Editions in January, February, and March, so it's not unheard-of. Releasing a movie like this in winter should be a good idea since there's very little competition (see: Avatar). Either you release it in early summer as the other SW movies came out and it drowns in a sea of new blockbusters, or you dump it in late summer and nobody goes to see it, like The Clone Wars movie. I do wonder how well it'll do, since TPM is usually on the lower end of people's favorites, but with people taking their kids who weren't around for TPM this should be good.

I'm also glad that they're taking time to do it right. I'm sure it will look amazing.

Raging Derelict
03-08-2011, 09:21 PM
I am so puuuuuumped to see these films in 3-D! It will make up for every single bad thing that has happened in my life. Literally.

JimJamBonds
03-09-2011, 06:57 PM
When were the SE's released? They were one a month if I remember correctly but I don't remember what months.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-09-2011, 07:41 PM
When were the SE's released? They were one a month if I remember correctly but I don't remember what months.According to various web searches:
SWE4ANHSE: 1/31/97
SWE5TESBSE: 2/21/97
SWE6ROTJSE: 3/14/97

JEDIpartner
06-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Rick McCallum admits if TPM 3-D flops, we may never see ANH 3-D

NEWSBOT LINK: http://3dradar.techradar.com/3d-tech/star-wars-3d-comeback-could-be-limited-one-film-14-06-2011 (http://3dradar.techradar.com/3d-tech/star-wars-3d-comeback-could-be-limited-one-film-14-06-2011).

It's funny that he should say that. I was just reading an article the other day that said 3-D is pretty much over. The last 5 big studio efforts that came out in 3-D had significantly lower draws than the 2-D counterparts when shown at the same cinema.

Quite honestly, the prequels are better suited for 3-D conversion only for the fact that they employed digital technology that would allow them to pull the images apart so to speak. But... I'm 100% "meh" on the whole thing.

You know... it's like Madonna (seriously, hang in here with me). When she started, she really set the trends and really blossomed as a pop artist and performer. These days, she's sorta stopped being a trendsetter and is jumping on the current trends (working with Justin Timberlake and Timbaland on her last album) and isn't really connecting with audiences the way she used to.

George Lucas is suffering from a similar thing in that there's really nothing left for him to do with these films, so he's jumping on the bandwagon of current blockbusters and insisting on putting them out in 3-D. He's obviously been met with a lot of criticism and indifference toward this endeavour thus far. Again, not really connecting with his audience. It's a terrible exercise in trying to make money. I think the writing is on the wall and McCallum's statement was a pre-emptive strike to say "this is an experiment" and to save face if it doesn't work. He created all of this filmmaking technology with his crew and set the standard for special effects and summer blockbusters, but it's kinda over now. Isn't it?

Back to popstars, Janet Jackson kept doing this a few years ago when her career was hitting the skids. She released a song to her website, claiming it was a preview of something from her upcoming album. People reacted negative to it and she then backtracked to call it a "gift" to her fans. The song never made it to the album. She did it again a couple years later with the next project (don't order the fruit cup again if an anvil falls on your head the first time?) and it netted her the same result.

3-D, George? I dunno, man... I dunno. TPM might be George's "gift" to his fans. Hmph... no gift at all, really.

So many really important creative people just lose their drive and ability to create fresh and new things. I don't know if it is a product of age or if it is because the well just ran dry, but it happens. I think George is sorta at that point too. The best thing for him might be to go all Roddenberry (put down your blasters, kids) and set guidelines and let other people have a go at this universe. I mean, we got some really awesome things out of the Star Trek universe when Roddenberry just sorta said "here's what I expect and these are the restrictions of how far out you can go". Granted, not everything worked, but at least the franchise still had a lot of fresh talent trying their hands at creating something new and vibrant within the context of that universe.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Well, Lucas has been talking about doing them in 3-D publicly since 2005, which was well before the current trend really kicked in hard. I know that a lot of people see this as him jumping on the bandwagon, but I really don't. They've always said that the future releases would be dependent on each one doing well, so this is really nothing new or anything to worry about. If TPM does well, then we'll see AOTC. If it doesn't, then it doesn't. I'm not sure what their measure of success is, but I assume they need to at least regain the conversion expenses (and presumably make more money to be used for future conversions and the TV show). And John Knoll has stated that the originals will be easier to convert to 3-D since they are more simple visually than the prequels; it doesn't seem to be an issue of going through the old digital files and just re-shooting the film as you seem to be thinking.

JediTricks
06-14-2011, 09:55 PM
I was discussing this in the Star Wars TV thread since I saw the article in there, and I do wonder what Lucas will consider successful, whether it's box office or actual quality of results. Personally, I think it's doomed either way, conversion generally gets panned hard, and a February release probably will fizzle out all on its lonesome.

mtriv73
06-15-2011, 10:22 AM
I think they're doing a February release as an excuse for why no one will be camping out for tickets to see this thing. I may take the soon to be 4 year old to go see it, but I'm certainly not that pumped up about seeing the phantom menace again.