PDA

View Full Version : 2010: Hasbro SW Sales Are Strong; After 15 Years Are You Still Collecting?

Tycho
10-06-2010, 01:55 AM
Why aren't we still kids? (for the veterans). But if you're a newer, younger forum member, you're welcome to respond to this thread, too - as your enthusiasm for Star Wars will be appreciated for reminding so many of the older forum members here how we used to be - and even could be again.

So if this does NOT sound like you - tell us anyway! :yes:

If your enthusiasm has mellowed, I thought about some reasons as to why:

1. Space to put all this stuff - my biggest concern is running out of room.

1a. Living with others and space limitations (Well, I'm not married, don't want to permanently live with a girl (what's wrong with having lots of girlfriends over the years and no wife?), and I won't have children and risk passing my kidney disease on - plus I don't want kids and prefer peace and quiet, and freedom from responsibility). If you do not use birth control yourself (don't trust a girl to) you may find yourself no longer able to make your own lifestyle choices.

2. Finances - well, earn more money so you don't have to make choices on what you purchase based on disposable income (if you can avoid this in the current rough economy). You still might be challenged by No. 1 above (space to put the stuff) but if it comes down to alternative choices for entertainment (for example, I love baseball games and rock concerts), getting more cash could give you more options. If this is way too hard to accomplish right now because of being laid off, having pay or hours cut, and similar reasons, might you go back to collecting more when you see your income eventually increase (or bills and debt get all paid off)?

3. Time - If you must work more to get more cash, this can happen: you won't have time to enjoy the alternatives such as baseball games and rock concerts and the 1/2 hour or hour you spend toy hunting becomes your only, totally arbitrary activity you have time to do, thereby decreasing its pleasure value because you don't have time to make any other choice (but to toy hunt from 8-9am before work, for example). I'd recommend saving for a non-working vacation before toy expenditures. You might not travel anywhere, but instead take time off work and just spend it and the extra money on completely self-entertaining things other than Star Wars. Then when you go back to Star Wars, it will feel as though you haven't missed out on anything else. If you got to take a luxury vacation (and could afford it) would you go back to collecting when you returned?

4. Completism - I never understood this. I decided I wanted to buy SW stuff to build dioramas - and sort of artistically express myself with the wars I set up. Therefore, I skip figures I have no interest in, or re-carded ones, etc. Though I may have to army-build certain other figures. But because of reason No. 1 above (space to put your stuff), you have to define limitations. That RC Hailfire Droid looks fun, but though I want to play with one, I have no place to keep it, nor any "need" for it. (I have an extra hailfire droid still in its box as it is - the TRU exclusive one that I got for a gift and decided to raid for the General Grievous figure it came with, which I found useful to fight Nahdar Vebb and Kit Fisto when I got them).

But if you were going to start all over with the vintage-style cardbacks, it's really tough to say if you'll be satisfied. Ephant Mon is probably never going to be carded on a vintage-back and he is still (IMO) probably the greatest SW figure Hasbro has ever produced for the modern collection (2002). Everyone has their own favorite though, and I couldn't tell you if it will ever be on a vintage card or not. (I think Hasbro, well aware of how popular the vintage style cardbacks would be for even prequel figures) saved this idea to drag it out exactly when the economy would be struggling. Financial reports suggest Hasbro is actually profitting and Star Wars sales are very strong right now and even gaining!)

So how do you feel about the state of Star Wars now, in 2010, and your involvement level with it?

jamesbondo07
10-06-2010, 09:41 AM
My interest is still high but room is probably my main problem right now. I will at some point have to slow down on buying Star Wars and focus money on finishing our basement so I have a place to put all my figures.

Darth Metalmute
10-06-2010, 09:47 AM
I wouldn't call what I do collecting any more, I'd call it grazing. I have bought more this year than last but the BAT-AT was just too cool to pass up. I still look forward and get excited over the Toy Fair, SDCC, and SW Celebration pics like I have over the years, but that excitement dies down by the time I see them in the stores. Each year I make a list of must haves. Last year, I only got 6 of the 11, I didn't see the other five until after I didn't care about them anymore. This year, I have 3 of 12 and have already passed on 4 items after I saw them up close.

I ran out of room in 2005 and started to sell my collection off except those items I really liked. But I stopped collecting when it became too hard to get a hold of everything I wanted. It started to become a second job instead of a hobby, especially when you had to get to a place when they open for a chance at getting the item you want.

I still visit TRU twice a week, but the lack of new figures is depressing. Entire waves have missed my TRU and I don't expect it to get better. Last week they made a Star Wars store front display, and there were enough Wave 1 Vintage figures (hundreds, seriously) that I believe Waves 2 and 3 will never see the light of day there.

InsaneJediGirl
10-06-2010, 10:30 AM
I haven't bought a Star Wars action figure since 2007. At first, it was extremely hard, and a part of me still finds this sad. However, circumstances beyond my control have kind of put a lid on buying $7 action figures constantly.

My main reasons right now are finances. After graduating with my 2 year degree, there were no jobs to be had but really bad retail ones. So I am stuck working a retail, with extremely limited hours. I just got a pay raise and hour hike, but even then one of my brothers had a seizure and was diagnosed with severe epilepsy almost 2.5 years ago. So helping out the family buy medication for him leaves little for "play money" and when I do have extra, its been going to comic books, most of them non-SW related(I just don't like the current story lines).

I'd say the second reason is space. All but a tiny portion of my collection is locked away in rubbermaids in the basement. Hoping to get the basement finished in a year or so, but even then I'm not sure where I would be able to put them.

My final reason is I'm just kind of burned out. I'm tired of buying repack of a repack of a repack....or lining more of GLs pockets when there's been some not so smart moves lately.

I still love Star Wars and the movies, I just think a break to enjoy my other geek fandoms and a chance to become more financially stable is putting a halt on things at the moment.

Droid
10-06-2010, 12:00 PM
I get really tired of these long, long gaps in between figures. A wave every other month or so would really keep me interested.

People can argue all day that Saga Legends and the Clone Wars line don't hurt the number of figures from the films that are put out. But between those lines, resculpts, and rereleases I feel like there are very, very few new figures of new characters from the films in a given year and that makes me less interested in the line.

I still buy figures I want, and always will. But I have cut way back.

I will be patient, and in this line that pays off. But, I find it baffling there were no cantina figures this year. I find it hard to believe that characters like Kitster, Wald, Cliegg Lars, Bom Vimdin, the Ranat, Sim Aloo, Lumat, Shasa Tiel, Sgt. Doallyn, Wooof (Palace Klaatu) and Taym Dren-Garen (HE SHOT LUKE) still aren't in my collection. And some of them aren't even coming in the next few years. (I know some are coming or are planned).

That said, I have been buying figures for 15 years and can't believe how full and diverse my collection is. If they stopped tomorrow and I could not get a single additional figure I could not say I would have deep regrets.

But I sure would be sorry I didn't get the Tonnikas, Bom Vimdin, and Wooof!

Rocketboy
10-06-2010, 01:30 PM
My interest level, on a scale of 1 to 100, is 1.
I stopped collecting years ago.
I've purchased maybe 5 figures in the last 4-5 years and I've skipped many figures I would have killed for years ago.

Tycho
10-06-2010, 02:43 PM
My interest level, on a scale of 1 to 100, is 1.
I stopped collecting years ago.
I've purchased maybe 5 figures in the last 4-5 years and I've skipped many figures I would have killed for years ago.

Why do you think that is? (To all of the above?) Do you miss your old gung-ho attitude (about collecting)?

People can argue all day that Saga Legends and the Clone Wars line don't hurt the number of figures from the films that are put out. But between those lines, resculpts, and rereleases I feel like there are very, very few new figures of new characters from the films in a given year and that makes me less interested in the line.

I still buy figures I want, and always will. But I have cut way back.

I will be patient, and in this line that pays off. But, I find it baffling there were no cantina figures this year. I find it hard to believe that characters like Kitster, Wald, Cliegg Lars, Bom Vimdin, the Ranat, Sim Aloo, Lumat, Shasa Tiel, Sgt. Doallyn, Wooof (Palace Klaatu) and Taym Dren-Garen (HE SHOT LUKE) still aren't in my collection. And some of them aren't even coming in the next few years. (I know some are coming or are planned).

Rebelscum has Kitster, Wald, Bom Vimdim, Sim Aloo, Lumat, Sgt. Doaylln - basically your whole "want list" on their rumor list for the vintage collection in 2010 to 2011. Of course Wooof will be out in the stores before Christmas.

Droid, you basically described my attitude exactly. However, I like that my toy expenditure has dropped (I don't need another Jedi Luke) but my enthusiasm has not. I am still really excited, anticipating seeing the first images of a Bom Vimdim or Taym Dren-Garen figure.

Hasbro has been profittable, turning the line into a Clone Wars promotion platform. While I don't buy every CW figure, I do enjoy some. The new bounty hunter sculpts look great and the cartoon is fun. Though I myself would love a new cartoon set in the OT times - preferably just after them - and seeing Han, Luke, and Leia back in action.

InsaneJediGirl, you're a good person for helping out your family like that. You and JamesBondo07 both have to turn your focus to display / storage room too - with your basement projects. I face this dilemma, too. California homes don't usually have basements, but I need to get a bigger place as well as buy display cases (Ikea detolfs, and elongated display case fixtures both) but I'm spending less on the toys, so it's a good time to divert money there. Our living quarters improvements are still "spending on our collections" (for display and storage room) but not exclusively (for most people).

Darth Metalmute: availability stuck out as one of your biggest issues. Except during movie year promotions, or the initial wave changes (like 2008's launch of Build-A-Droids or the present launch of Vintage-Style Cards that you brought up) this has always been the nature of our hobby. I think scalping Star Wars is sort of reached its expiration date in this bad economy (for a while and with the shift to kids buying Clone Wars) but collectors still horde or army-build.

I never got the Talz (Thi-Sen, CW - and I'd buy up to 5 on sighting them), I passed 2 firefighting battle droids to my friend when we were shopping together - and never found those again, either, nor the TX Tactical Droid.

It's funny, but I really never had any trouble with the movie figures (PT or OT) but I still played that game of waiting in front of the store until it opened, though I've checked with the toy department managers and only go hunting at stores on their "delivery / shelfing dates." (Truck dates - same thing.)

Anyway, my purchasing list is smaller, but once in a while - I bought 3 Twin Pod Cloud Cars for example. (I got 1 of the new pilots for a variant, but had purchased 8 in 2004's release and saved them for the moment when the vehicle would be released; 2 of them were never to go in a vehicle but just be walking around the set of a Cloud City display). I did not buy the new snowspeeder at all. I bought 3 in 1996 and haven't looked back. I also did not need Dak - though I do buy Wedge for other scenes. But in the snowspeeder cockpit, you cannot tell that all my figures I'm displaying are the 1996 Luke Pilot figure - except for the fact that I just told you.

So I'll still be here and feel some measure of triumph when I get to add Wooof and Taym Dren-Garen to my Jabba displays, and Bom Vimdim to the cantina. Oh - and I'll spend my time at baseball games, rock concerts, going boating, and earning my master's degree while I'm waiting. (And hopefully getting a bigger home, too). - Well I have to do something while I'm waiting for Hasbro to make Jocasta Nu. Maybe I'll go traveling again and when I get back, Hasbro will have announced her ;)

Darth Metalmute
10-06-2010, 05:02 PM
(To all of the above?) Do you miss your old gung-ho attitude (about collecting)?

Well I still have the gung-ho attitude, but it's shifted from purchasing to see what Hasbro is releasing. I enjoy seeing the new figures from the coverage on this site and seeing them in the stores. But I also like leaving the store without spending any money. When I was collecting, I had a TRU credit card that was for SW only. I gave up credit cards shortly after I gave up Star Wars collecting.

In the prime of my collecting, I was a completist. It's in my blood. If I collect something, I have to have it all. I have to beat every game I play 100%. And it wasn't just the 3.5" line, it was legos, 12", novels, games, props, etc. As a result, I was going to TRU, Target, Mejier, K-Mart, and Wal-Mart, two to three times a week just to get that exclusive store figure. It ruined my day to walk out empty handed. I had to put a stop to it. It was an addiction and I had to quit cold turkey. When my wife and I decided to have another child and I was losing my Star Wars room to the attic it gave me a perfect oppertunity to quit. I don't miss this aspect of collecting at all.

Darth Metalmute: availability stuck out as one of your biggest issues. Except during movie year promotions, or the initial wave changes (like 2008's launch of Build-A-Droids or the present launch of Vintage-Style Cards that you brought up) this has always been the nature of our hobby. I think scalping Star Wars is sort of reached its expiration date in this bad economy (for a while and with the shift to kids buying Clone Wars) but collectors still horde or army-build.

I've been collecting since the beginning and have never seen the disparity of figures like I have in the past 3 years. It was hard to find the final POTF figures in the 80's, but at least that was due to the line ending. I think what we've seen recently is an over saturation of the first wave due to street dating. The shelves become empty months before the date and in order to fill them, there's only one wave of each line out. The stores are so eager to sell product that they over order the first wave. TRU broke the street date and I had hoped that it meant we would see more figures. But while Wave 1 of the vintage was selling out, instead of seeing wave 2, we got a giant cardboard display with over ten of each figure of Wave 1. Try selling those out considering they are old news. On the plus side, it was the first time I saw Fett, which I bought.:thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-06-2010, 10:12 PM
After reading JMG's thread from this time last year, I had forgotten how much doom and gloom everyone had about the future of the line. People thought the realistic figures were done forever - they didn't realize that, though The Legacy Collection wasn't doing well, that didn't mean there wouldn't still be more movie-based product. Hopefully The Vintage Collection is doing better. There seems to be much more enthusiasm so far, but some figures from the ESB wave are hanging around longer than perhaps we'd like.

The focus during non-movie years - specifically within the last few - to release the majority of the product in the last few months of the year has been something of an adjustment. I know it annoys a lot of people, but it's just something we might have to get used to. I know that, with The Vintage Collection continuing for two years, there probably won't be as much of a gap next summer as the line won't have to reset. There have been lean times before - I remember hardly anything coming out in 2001.

I also don't understand why people complain so much about repacks. Just ignore them. They're not for you. They support the line so that we can keep getting new collector-focused figures. They did that in the vintage days - nearly every figure was released on two or more different cardbacks as the line went forward, and nowadays people don't expect it to happen. It even happened in the 90's when figures would get repacked from red cards to green cards to Freeze Frame cards; for a few years at the start of the last decade, Hasbro didn't do it much, and people apparently forgot that this ever happened before. Then when Hasbro tries to update an old figure instead of re-releasing an old one, people complain. It's a no-win situation.

Same thing with the amount of product - people feel it's either not enough or too much. Christ, people! Get what you want and don't let yourself get overwhelmed.

At any rate, apart from the baseless complaints I see here too often (not necessarily in this thread, but in general), I'm enjoying the hobby as much as ever. Getting Jabba, for instance, was a highlight of the entire time I've been collecting. The figures keep getting better and better. I'm making money to get everything I want (which, as it turns out, is everything, aside from repacks - again, I just ignore them and carry on). My family and friends are supportive of it. I'm excited for The Clone Wars, the Blu-ray, and the 3-D, and whatever comes next. I have absolutely no reason to stop collecting now.

InsaneJediGirl
10-07-2010, 12:53 AM
You and JamesBondo07 both have to turn your focus to display / storage room too - with your basement projects. I face this dilemma, too. California homes don't usually have basements, but I need to get a bigger place as well as buy display cases (Ikea detolfs, and elongated display case fixtures both) but I'm spending less on the toys, so it's a good time to divert money there. Our living quarters improvements are still "spending on our collections" (for display and storage room) but not exclusively (for most people).

Ikea has a lot of nice solutions I've noticed, so I may gravitate in that direction. Maybe a few bookshelves or something that won't take up too much room....Who knows. I know when I have a place of my own a number of this issues will be solved.

My more pressing issue is my book/comic book/graphic novel collection which is overflowing. Thinking of doing some type of creative thing with shelves under my bed...kind of horizontal bookshelves. We'll see how that goes.

bigbarada
10-07-2010, 01:33 AM
Narrowing my focus significantly has helped me to stay excited about collecting. 95% of my collecting focus is on Return of the Jedi merchandise, primarily Skiff Guards and Jabba's henchmen.

I buy a very limited amount of stuff outside of that focus. I'll occasionally dabble in Prequel or Clone Wars collecting, but usually lose interest in those toys within just a few days.

Of course, with such a narrow focus, that means that there are sometimes huge gaps between new releases. But that doesn't usually discourage me or make me want to give it up. I survived a 9 year gap with no new figures (1986-1995), so a few months here and there isn't such a big deal. I've actually reached a point where I expect to only find 1 or 2 figures that interest me per year and I think I'm pretty comfortable with that pace.

Besides, it's those big gaps that inspire me fill the void with more creative pursuits, like designing a website outlining all of the Skiff Guards present during the Skiff Battle.

nohagent
10-07-2010, 02:51 AM
Sometimes I think I should buy figures online, perhaps the shipping costs are cheaper than running to Target and such all the time as well as save me time for other pursuits. However picking and clicking doesn't feel as exciting as hitting the isle and seeing something new and grabbing it before some scalper raids the shelves in order to gouge us who try so hard to enjoy this hobby.

Tycho
10-07-2010, 04:30 AM
I also don't understand why people complain so much about repacks. Just ignore them. They're not for you. They support the line so that we can keep getting new collector-focused figures. They did that in the vintage days - nearly every figure was released on two or more different cardbacks as the line went forward, and nowadays people don't expect it to happen. It even happened in the 90's when figures would get repacked from red cards to green cards to Freeze Frame cards; for a few years at the start of the last decade, Hasbro didn't do it much, and people apparently forgot that this ever happened before. Then when Hasbro tries to update an old figure instead of re-releasing an old one, people complain. It's a no-win situation.

Really good insight, JabbaJohnL! This was an awesome part of your post (above). You layed it all out there better than I could have.

Now the ESB wave (1) doesn't really linger here (in San Diego). It's selling through well enough that I've felt I should step up and buy General Grievous (with the cloth cape from the ROTS Wave (2) because I may not see him in the stores later when I finally decide I should have bought him.

It's actually cool to see both waves on the pegs (for as much of the ESB wave the stores have left - Luke Bespin is almost always gone and Leia sells really well, too). Having that cool Han (Hoth) around probably inspires people to start collecting these. I've refrained from most so far, but that Han Solo is also really tempting me. (I've bought 2 Magna Guards, Darth Sidious - I think 2 of him maybe, and a Cloud Car Pilot - and I think that's it.)

As to waiting through empty shelves for new waves to hit after the figure line is "re-set" to a new theme?

It's happened a lot recently.

2007 - the TAC didn't really start hitting until March / April (some say May, but I found my figures at Sears in February - like only 1 case or so - with very good luck).

2008 - BAD begins and it didn't start until July with a specific street date. I was at WalMart with CrunchyNug for that release at midnight (with the huge Falcon and the AT-TE). Most stores were sold through of the TAC-end game figures (Po Nudo, the Mustafar Mining Droid, etc - and The Force Unleashed). There was nothing and uninformed employees were saying (due to the shrunk-to-nothing Star Wars space in their plan-o-grams that SW was officially dead / over. BTW, for all CW's non-fans, look what CW has done to re-expand the Star Wars section in most toy isles. Star Wars is again huge and there hasn't been a movie for 5 years - or 3 if you count the CW theatrical movie that introduces Ahsoka.

2009 - I think last year the line had good continuation. CW and BAD when through card-style changes, but the line flowed without pause if I recollect right. BAD was immensely popular in spite of whatever people were saying about movie-based toys not doing so well. There were a lot of offerings in 2009 of never-made-before movie figures. I was really excited about the offerings of Ewoks and new Jabba Skiff Guards.

BigBarada - your webpage is awesome! I've used it myself to outline what figures I want to purchase for the scene (that Hasbro does not currently make) and who I will end up using on my 2 skiffs (there isn't enough room for all the thugs on the 2nd skiff even if they do make all the characters - and I'm fine with the smaller skiffs from the '80's mold. It'll save me money if I'm not replacing them and buying too many more figures to populate them. You know I want the Sailbarge!!!)

nohagent - I know what you mean. Toy hunting gets you out and going somewhere (away from your work or routine) and lets you do something just purely for yourself and completely for fun and having nothing to do with being responsible - especially when you spend money on this stuff). I'm sure it's good for me adding to the variety in my life, especially when I haven't time to really do a lot more.

bigbarada
10-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Sometimes I think I should buy figures online, perhaps the shipping costs are cheaper than running to Target and such all the time as well as save me time for other pursuits. However picking and clicking doesn't feel as exciting as hitting the isle and seeing something new and grabbing it before some scalper raids the shelves in order to gouge us who try so hard to enjoy this hobby.

I totally agree there. There is just something special about turning that corner of the toy aisle and seeing new figures on the shelf that can never be duplicated by purchasing online. It's not the thrill of the hunt, because the hunt sucks. It's the hunt that gets people discouraged and thinking about giving up collecting. It's the thrill of discovery that makes collectors endure the hunt and keeps them coming back time and time again.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-09-2010, 12:02 AM
I will always (probably, I suppose) collect books and novels, and most music and video (unless it's just a new version [i.e. BluRay] of something I already have). Toys are on the if-I-like-it-and-it's-not-too-pricey basis, and almost exclusively figures.

Neuroleptic
10-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Oh, I still collect, but I'v sevearly limited what I buy on a yearly basis, shrunk my entire collection by 75%, and buy a whole lot less in recent months than I used to even after cutting back from how many I used to buy in years past due to the price going up.

Wave 1 VTC I bought several, but that was just because I was trying to compleate my one of every main character for the empire strikes back. I'll probably buy a few in wave 3 for the same reason, only bought one from wave 2 because I wanted the sand trooper in the package (and thus, my kid spilled a soda all over it so I added him to the Desert Sands batt. since I army build sand troopers anyway), and plan to buy absolutly NONE from wave 4.

If the price goes up so much as one cent, that will probably be it for me, because at the time I feel that we just do not get enough to justify the current price. if it goes up any more, I won't be able to justify buying them at all. I'll save up the money I'd use to buy the new figures and start collecting vintage.

I'v already stopped looking at K-mart long ago because they simply charge too much. I don't care how much I want a figure if they have it. If I don't find it in stores, I do not get it.

So I'm still collecting, but the constant increase in price over the years is going to eventualy cause me to no longer enjoy the hobby. It's reached a point to where now, if I want a figure because it's a better version of one I have, I probably will pass on it. Only figures I'll be buying are ones I do not have. So, I now have a list of what I'm looking for and I'll be done.

Comeing soon:
R2-D2 Pop up lightsaber
Wiccet
Gamarian Guard
R2-D2 and C-3PO from AOTC
Luke in ROTJ black outfit (and I may pass on him again unless he's absolutly stellar)
Leia from ROTJ (any. may see if I can find her re-release as Boussh)

Don't seem to be comeing any time soon
Han from ROTJ
Han from ANH
Chewy from ROTJ
Chewy from ANH
Yoda from ESB (the current one coming out in the new vintage line does not do it for me so I'm going to have to wait for this one)

And . . . that's about it for me. I may try to get a few of the prequil trilogy figures to have a set up of main characters, but I don't plan to get one for every movie like I am trying to do for the classic trilogy.

Due to increases in price, I'm done army building. Once I get the pig, I'm done trying to get background characters for Jaba the Hutt, and rebel pilots, imperials or 501st clones. No more. At just under 9 bucks a figure, my shelves for these look nice, thanks.

So strangely, the only shelf I have left to compleate is the one for main characters from the classic trilogy. After that the only figures that will probably make me change my mind will be Jawas. And even then, they better be really good. Otherwise, they're a pass too.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-09-2010, 02:14 PM
I've mentioned this before, but here are the must-buy collectibles I've tended to keep up with throughout the years:

- novels (I buy virtually every one that's made, will buy the occasional hardcover, but I usually read them at the library and buy the softcover months later) and most "guide" or behind-the-scenes books
- trading cards (I waver sometimes, then they suck me back in! :D )
- posters (I try to get one of each film, and I suppose now the TV shows?)
- toys (much less than in the past as far as playsets and vehicles goes, but I still buy a significant amount of 3 3/4" figures [although I no longer consider myself a non-variant completist as I once did])
- music (unless it's a collection like Corellian Edition or just new outer packaging)
- video (see "music" above)
- clothing (like to have new stuff that fits me as I grow... up :rolleyes: )
- comic books (if it's a limited series in trade paperback format, but the series I don't bother buying)

Veers
12-17-2010, 09:45 PM
I still collect after the initial POTF Orange card line came out in 1995. I have slowed down some. I do not pick up every figure anymore unless it is from the Vintage line. I do like some of the Clone Wars action figures line but it is getting very costly to get every figure.

Neuroleptic
12-18-2010, 10:31 AM
And . . . that's about it for me. I may try to get a few of the prequil trilogy figures to have a set up of main characters, but I don't plan to get one for every movie like I am trying to do for the classic trilogy.

Due to increases in price, I'm done army building. Once I get the pig, I'm done trying to get background characters for Jaba the Hutt, and rebel pilots, imperials or 501st clones. No more. At just under 9 bucks a figure, my shelves for these look nice, thanks.

So strangely, the only shelf I have left to compleate is the one for main characters from the classic trilogy. After that the only figures that will probably make me change my mind will be Jawas. And even then, they better be really good. Otherwise, they're a pass too.

Hehe . . . course, if they have decent sales, like they've been having lately, I'll wind up buying a bit more. I'v actualy picked up several vehicles this year due to good prices. Though, I won't have much room for more after this year. And, since the figures have gone down in price, the next time I'm at the store, I may break down and buy just one more 501st soldier . . .

Though, I have not broken down and bought the prequil figures that are out in vintage for my heroes shelf despite better prices. Mostly because I'd want the episode one versons of many of them. Despite the fact that I consider episode I to be the worst film in the series, I absolutly loved the designs in it.

And, to update my list of must haves as shown in my quote:

Comeing soon:
R2-D2 Pop up lightsaber

Don't seem to be comeing any time soon
Han from ROTJ
Han from ANH (If I get next year's storm trooper, I may just take my Han storm trooper from my empire army and put him on my heroes shelf, thus, I won't need a new Han. But if the ANH figures are as hard to find as wave 3 has been, this may or may not happen)
Chewy from ROTJ
Chewy from ANH
Yoda from ESB (the current one coming out in the new vintage line does not do it for me so I'm going to have to wait for this one)

Tauntaunt
12-18-2010, 12:10 PM
I purchase only what I Like.I don`t purchase clone wars for example.So Hasbro has to produce good stuff if they want me to purchase those toys.:thumbsup:

TeeEye7
12-18-2010, 03:24 PM
About the only thing I go out of the way to hunt down these days are the SW Funko bobble heads and Hallmark ornaments.

bigbarada
12-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Chewy from ROTJ

We got the perfect version of this Chewie in 2004 for the VOTC collection. He never needs to be updated again.

Neuroleptic
12-19-2010, 12:06 PM
We got the perfect version of this Chewie in 2004 for the VOTC collection. He never needs to be updated again.

Oh I know. I have a version of him with kind of snow sprinkles on him from a battle pack from hoth, but I cant find a normal version of him for a new hope on the shelves, and I'd like to get one with the correct hair style from ROTJ. (Just took a look at one on ebay and the VOTC version actualy has the right hair style. Apparently the one I have is the same figure with a new head.)

I am actualy kinda suprised they don't release him very often. I know there's a version of him out at the moment from empire with the breathing mask, too. But it looks like he has the snow sprinles on him as well. Or is that just what he looks like?

bigbarada
12-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Oh I know. I have a version of him with kind of snow sprinkles on him from a battle pack from hoth, but I cant find a normal version of him for a new hope on the shelves, and I'd like to get one with the correct hair style from ROTJ.

I am actualy kinda suprised they don't release him very often. I know there's a version of him out at the moment from empire with the breathing mask, too. But it looks like he has the snow sprinles on him as well. Or is that just what he looks like?

I was referring to this version that was available on the vintage style card:
http://www.rebelscum.com/OTC-Vchewbacca.asp

He's got his ROTJ hairstyle and no snow sprinkles, but he does have some yellow highlights added to his hair. I know he's been released for the Saga Legends line a couple of times since 2004.

Neuroleptic
12-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Yup, just noticed that. I'll have to try to find one on ebay next time I actualy have cash.

preacher
12-19-2010, 01:40 PM
I stopped about three ago. For six reasons:

1)My daughter. I started buying toys for her and tending to her needs in general.
2)Clone Wars line is lame. I want a consistent look in a collection. Not some that are good lifelike sculpts, and others that have that carved out of wood Thunderbirds look.
3)There haven't been enough new characters. Getting tired of seeing rereleases of of Vader, Luke, Han, and every single character from Revenge of the Sith which is barely five years old. This saturates the market and leads to...
4)Star Wars figures have become a bad investment. Yes I opened my packaging, and yes I bought a second blister for my "collection" but with all the rereleases. And yeah I know collecting is supposed to be fun, but I want a return on my investment.
5)I've moved on to Sideshow. The sculpts for the most part are well done, and if a diorama builder wants to recreate scenes he has no choice but to buy from the secondary market because Sideshow has truly limited releases.
6)I want a heirloom that will actually be worth something. Hasbro figures aren't it. When my kids inherit my 12 inch line it will be a good nest egg.

LusiferSam
12-19-2010, 06:29 PM
I stopped collecting the Hasbro stuff in September of 2002. There are several factors the lead to this.

1. Other interests. First and foremost I'm a Lego collector. It's my primary interest and has been for a long time. Second, I'm a vintage collector. Point blank I like the Kenner stuff better. They're the toys I had (or didn't have in many cases) as a kid. It's not the same with Hasbro's line.

2. Lack of enjoyment. Collecting the new line stopped being fun. One of the reasons I starting collecting the modern line in '95 is because I couldn't collect the vintage line. That changed after I discovered eBay. But I still like the Hasbro stuff. It was fun buying both. I don't know when it started to happen, but I know caused me to snap. After that I wasn't fun any more. I was buying stuff because I always had. And that's a stupid reason to be collecting.

3. Lack of space. I would say that I was a competist up until '02. But was basically out of room for more vehicles or playsets. Personally I like like vehicles and playsets. Hasbro hasn't made a good playsets since the '80s, so there no big loss there. There's a few new vehicles I might have like to have had, like the BMF, but they're all huge.

4. Lack of insterest. I'm pretty lukewarm on the PT. TPM was ok, I might watch AOTC again at some point, but I hated ROTS. I've also come to hate anything EU, Clone Wars include. So that just leaves the OT. But how many Darth Vaders does one need?

Recently I picked up some TVC figures. I wasn't buying them as surrogates, completism, or anything like that. I bought only the ones I wanted. I might buy some figures of this line because I like the way these look. Some maybe I've made my piece with this can buy only what I want.

Neuroleptic
12-19-2010, 07:00 PM
So that just leaves the OT. But how many Darth Vaders does one need?
want.

For me, 3

1 for my sith lords shelf (Only have Darth Vader, Darth Tyranus, Darth Maul and Darth Sidious though. I'd like to get the KOTOR ones, but they're SERIOUSLY hard to find).

1 for my Misc. figures I like shelf but don't fit anywhere else (this shelf is rather small . . . but I just felt it needed a Darth Vader).

and 1 for my Imperial Army.

I may get one last one for my 501st army (wich is rather small) but it'd have to be a significant update over the most recent versions for me to get one. I know it SHOULD be the ROTS Anakin/Vader . . . but I don't really like him.

bigbarada
12-19-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm still collecting for the most part. Nothing near being a completist, but that was only a short phase that ended several years ago.

Mostly I just collect modern updates of the figures I liked as a child or new figures of the characters I always wanted made into figures but never were.

While there is something to be said for nostalgia, I tend to prefer the sculpts, articulation and level of detail on the modern figures over the vintage stuff. I know for a fact that if someone had allowed me, as a child, to choose between the 1983 Kenner Gamorrean Guard and the 2010 Hasbro Gamorrean Guard, I would pick the Hasbro figure every time. The Kenner line just felt so cheap and limited to me when I was a kid, especially with the superior (to my 10-year-old mind) GI Joe line out there.

So I'm always interested in improved versions of figures that I had as a kid and just wasn't satisfied with (R2-D2, Bossk, Gamorrean Guard), or all-new figures of characters that I've wanted since 1983 (Kithaba, Weequay Skiffmaster, Ephant Mon).

As long as Hasbro keeps the quality up like they have for the Vintage line then I doubt I will ever stop collecting.