PDA

View Full Version : Queen Amidala's voice in TPM

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-09-2010, 04:55 PM
On a nostalgic kick, I just watched the trailer (http://starwars.com/video/view/000386.html) for Episode I and noticed something strange. All of Padmé's lines in the trailer sound like they're in a higher pitch. I remember, when seeing TPM in theaters, that the "Get to your ships!" line sounded much different than in the trailer, but I never noticed the other differences. I wonder if they ended up lowering her voice for the film to make her sound more mature? Many of her lines as Padmé Naberrie sound much higher than as Queen Amidala, so that's what I'm thinking.

Just something I thought was interesting, really.

Rocketboy
10-09-2010, 11:41 PM
The "Get to you ships" line bugs me in the flick. She sounds so bored and calm when she says it. The trailer version, where she yells it, sounds far better and makes more sense.
Why wouldn't she be yelling it with all that commotion and blaster fire everywhere?

JediTricks
10-10-2010, 03:33 PM
As a last-minute choice, Lucas decided the queen and the handmaiden should sound different, so he had them pitch the Queen voice down to an unnatural and bizarre level. I remember in the theater hearing this after watching the trailer for months and being entirely puzzled by it (and right on the heels of Nute Gunray's ridiculous accent, not to mention the bizarre Radiant VII captain's asexual voice).

Bel-Cam Jos
10-12-2010, 08:32 PM
We need a See & Say for the films (you choose an accent, pull the string, and hear: "The Neimoidian says... dey gone up da ventalation shahft" or "The Queen's bass voice says... no-body knows, the trouble I've seen" ).

Darkross
10-13-2010, 11:47 AM
I've always been bugged by the "Get to your ships" line too. I noticed it when I saw it in theaters, and always wondered why it sounded different. Rarely do movies have the lines in the Trailer sound like they do in the movie... alot of time, I find the trailer's lines are out of context with the movie, so when you see the entire movie, you stop and think to yourself...now why did they include that in the trailer...that makes no sense.

JEDIpartner
10-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Not on topic, but I was sorta inspired by Bel-Cam's post. So, I was kinda hoping that Obi-Wan would look at Padme in ROTS and say "I don't knows nuthin' 'bout birthin' no babies, Miss Padme! I'm a-get you to a hospital on Polis Massa!"
:pleased:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Not on topic, but I was sorta inspired by Bel-Cam's post. So, I was kinda hoping that Obi-Wan would look at Padme in ROTS and say "I don't knows nuthin' 'bout birthin' no babies, Miss Padme! I'm a-get you to a hospital on Polis Massa!"
:pleased:That was a cut scene with Jar-Jar. Look for it... in 3-D coming to a theater near you!

Qui-Long Gone
10-29-2010, 10:02 PM
In hindsight, for as obnoxious as he was, Jar Jar was the only character in TPM with any emotion...thank the maker he wasn't in the hanger though...."RETREAT! RETREAT!" (stumbling over some droids and accidentally turning on some rockets that blow up Darth Maul as Jar Jar races towards the blaster doors with his floopy "ears?" covering his eyes)

Blue2th
10-29-2010, 10:32 PM
When Senator Palpatine's hologram was cut off, she said "Senator Palpateen" :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
10-29-2010, 10:38 PM
In hindsight, for as obnoxious as he was, Jar Jar was the only character in TPM with any emotion

I'd argue that Liam Neeson also did a fine job as your namesake. His facial expressions alone were better than 99% of the acting in the prequels.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-30-2010, 09:36 AM
His facial expressions alone were better than 99% of the acting in the prequels.And his mustache makes up the remaining 1%.

When Senator Palpatine's hologram was cut off, she said "Senator Palpateen" :rolleyes:"PalpaTEEN," "PalpaTINE;" let's cut the whole transmission off.

And as far as the Queen's voice goes: did anyone consider that she's still a TEENager, and maybe she's just going through some changes? Use your best Pimply-Faced TEEN voice: "I'll have to speak with my Naboo Governor."

bigbarada
10-30-2010, 09:44 AM
And as far as the Queen's voice goes: did anyone consider that she's still a TEENager, and maybe she's just going through some changes? Use your best Pimply-Faced TEEN voice: "I'll have to speak with my Naboo Governor."

So, does Palpatine rhyme with "ween" or "wine"? :confused: I've always pronounced it PalpaTEEN..

Blue2th
10-30-2010, 11:08 AM
After Senator Palpateen disapeared and her trusted advisor told her "A communications disruption can mean only one thing - invasion."
She should have said...

"We shall defend our planet, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight in the swamps, we shall fight on the landing pads, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Instead it was..."I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war"

..in that hoity toity voice of course.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-30-2010, 02:47 PM
After Senator Palpateen disapeared and her trusted advisor told her "A communications disruption can mean only one thing - invasion."
She should have said...

"We shall defend our planet, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight in the swamps, we shall fight on the landing pads, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Instead it was..."I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war"

..in that hoity toity voice of course.
Well, yeah, of course she's gonna say that, being pacifistic and all. We're supposed to see how the conflict has devolved from politics into a war - after the negotiations and debates break down, there's nothing left for them to do but fight. It's not ideal, but it's necessary. This commercial (http://starwars.com/video/view/000388.html) from the great advertising campaign illustrates it quite well. It's also one of the larger themes of the saga overall and it's necessary to the story and character of Amidala.

Blue2th
10-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Well, yeah, of course she's gonna say that, being pacifistic and all. We're supposed to see how the conflict has devolved from politics into a war - after the negotiations and debates break down, there's nothing left for them to do but fight. It's not ideal, but it's necessary. This commercial (http://starwars.com/video/view/000388.html) from the great advertising campaign illustrates it quite well. It's also one of the larger themes of the saga overall and it's necessary to the story and character of Amidala.

Inspiring words.

I just find it odd Padme had to use that accent and voice and persona as the Queen like an alter-ego. Yet I realize it was necessary as part of being the Queen was a disguise in itself, and each one of her handmaidens who played their part as the queen had to use that accent too.

I find the pronunciations are kinda funny to imitate though. Another one of the quirky things in Star Wars.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Well, true. But remember that Leia also adopted a strange, vaguely British accent whenever she was in a more "official" setting (mostly whenever she's talking to Vader or Tarkin). So it's not exactly like it was new, even though the pitch change was.

JimJamBonds
10-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Well, true. But remember that Leia also adopted a strange, vaguely British accent whenever she was in a more "official" setting (mostly whenever she's talking to Vader or Tarkin). So it's not exactly like it was new, even though the pitch change was.

And lets not forget about the "Leea" or "Laya" way her name was pronounded. 'Toe-mateo' 'toe-moto' folks.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Lee-uh/Lay-uh.
Hann/Hahn.
Jah-ba/Jeah-ba.
Everything/Heavily (in regards to Watto's line about Sebulba and his bet on him).
He-ey/Car-rie. ;)