PDA

View Full Version : Teebo Wave = At Hasblo, quality is job 1...hundred and 34!

INDIANA
03-02-2002, 12:15 PM
I recieved the Teebo wave from D&S yesterday. The paint jobs on these guys are CRAP!!!! BoShek has the white highlights just sploched on, it looks like someone did it with a spray paint can. R4-M9 looks yucky too. The drab green color just kind of goes where it wants. Teebo isn't too bad, but imperfections in the fur are difficult to spot/easy to overlook.

I know some people have stated that the quality of the paint jobs for the first wave of E2 figures was really bad too. I hope they are better than this. Otherwise I will need the whole day off just to look through hundreds of figures to find the good ones.

Lord Tenebrous
03-02-2002, 12:28 PM
Hasbro probably fired its quality control engineers right around the time the Ketwol wave was going into production, because its been fairly downhill since.

And it's not just paint, the figures themselves have gained fragility lately.

Jargo
03-02-2002, 02:28 PM
See, they say the vinyl costs them more to use as it means better detail. Well i was quite happy with the amount of detail in the later waves of POTF figures and don't see the need for super realism in an action figure. I'd prefer them to go back to using more robust materials and losing some detail. Weapons that don't bend, limbs that don't pop out of sockets, paint that looks like paint and not like an accidental wash with dirty paint thinners.

I really feel fot the sculptors y'know. It must be heart breaking to put all that work into making a great face sculpt or sculpting fabric that looks like it flows. And then the factory churns out big lumps of poodoo. millions of bad paint jobs that cheapen that good sculpt. It'd be like someone making figures from the avatars I do. And after the first two waves making them out of recycled plastics and paying blind people to paint them..... just awful. :(

Lman316
03-07-2002, 12:40 PM
I just got mine today from Toyzz.com, and I'd have to agree somewhat on the paint jobs. R4 looks okay, the green stay pretty much where it's supposed to. But with the Bo Shek, the white is pretty much all over the place, and I really don't like the use of these spongy accessories. His blaster is like clay. BUT, even though the Teebo has a few paint imperfections, his weapon is actually SOLID plastic. It's even stronger than Wicket's.
So, now I'm starting to wonder what is up at Hasbro. They say the new soft crap is for safety, but Teebo has hard plastic and all of their new GI Joe figures have hard plastic accessories too.
Why can't they just go back to the way they were?

JEDIpartner
03-07-2002, 01:44 PM
It could be because they are either: a.) Money grubbing scum, or b.) big fat hypocrites.

JetsAndHeels
03-07-2002, 01:49 PM
How about all of the above.

JEDIpartner
03-07-2002, 02:01 PM
You can have that one Mr. Bo Jango... :) I forgot that number one rule of "all of the above"!!! Sorry.

JetsAndHeels
03-07-2002, 02:05 PM
Well it is true.
Hasbro is really trying to screw us.
They make these figures hard to find first of all, then if you are lucky enough to get one the paint job looks like it was done by a blind person.
Sigh.

AmanaMatt
03-07-2002, 02:25 PM
Indiana...

sounds like you got a bd batch. I received my set yesterday and the paint deco was very good.

damn, a couple of the above 'posters' sound bitter as hell.

Jargo
03-07-2002, 02:42 PM
Bitter?:confused: What's bitter in this thread? Just a sense of disappointment and being puzzled. Some of you guys have some really weird notions about what being bitter and jaded is. Forgive me for not being laalaa happy as a church lover but hey - I'm British, we're born grumpy. I guess I must be one of the last few people alive to still have an enduring set of standards and values that I attach to buying products. Seems expectations aren't that high among the younger collectors or those who are myopic about star wars.

If clothing has holes in it or seams that are unravelling do you not take back the product or complain to the manufacturer? If your car develops a problem do you not complain to the manufacturer? This is only the same thing - voicing dissatisfaction with standards in the only place that allows such thoughts to reach the eyes of those we cannot reach any other way. :cool:

JetsAndHeels
03-07-2002, 02:49 PM
I agree completely with Emperor Jargo.
Amanamatt, you are right when you say we are not too thrilled about the toys.
Why should I be when they dont even send them to where I am, and then when they do actually arrive they look like crap?
I love my hobby, dont get me wrong, but like Jargo said if we are consumers and have a problem with the product, we have the God given right to voice our opinions.

Lman316
03-07-2002, 04:50 PM
I'm not bitter about it - I mean, I have seen worse paint jobs on figures before - but it seems we're having to do trade offs here.
Usually, detail on these figures is top-notch, and for the most part these figures look fantastic. However, if we get better sculpts or better detail, something else will be lacking, i.e. soft accessories, possible bad paint jobs, ect.
I think it was EJ that had originally said something about taking less detail for better over all figures. With better accessories, or maybe even some more articulation. If we indeed could get more durable figures and accessories, I too would opt for that instead of more detail. I was actually fine with the original POTF2 figures, except I wanted them to have a little more articulation.
But I think there could be a happy medium some where in there, we just need to find it. Maybe just a little less detail (because if they take too much away, they might end up looking like crap) to get some better overall figures.

AmanaMatt
03-07-2002, 06:48 PM
don't take my comment too seriously. I totally agree everyone's entitled to their opinion. I am not one of these 'my opinion or the highway' types. I was just caught off gaurd by a couple of the posts since my wave came to me in pretty awsome condition.

Arrogant Arse
03-14-2002, 01:02 PM
I agree that it depends on the batch. A couple weeks ago, I picked up the Amidala Decoy. I looked at it and thought, wow, what cool details. Yesterday I was at TRU and saw another one. The paint was the wordst I had ever seen. It looked as if someone had spilled a bottle of white-out on her face, and used Crayola markers for her eyes. The Fleur-de-Lis on her skirt, looked like as of 6-year old had drawn them with a crayon. It looked like a cheap knock-off, but it was secure in hasbor packaging. I could see why she was still hanging out with Ketwol and Shmi.

squee666
03-14-2002, 08:18 PM
I just received my Teebo wave!!! I have to say that i'm somewhat dissapointed in the paint job on Teebo in particular. The headdress is a much better sculpt than in the 80s. But the painted details are nonexistant. They could've done some really great coloring, shading etc. instead, they slop one or two colors on. Boshek looked fine. I couldn't really find any flaws in the paint. The droid looks good as well. Boshek's helmet fits a bit tighter than I thought. Every time I take it off, I'm afraid he'll suffer decapitation from Helmet removal.

JEDIpartner
03-16-2002, 11:37 AM
Poo!!! Poor Teebo didn't get all of his stripes. I'm stilla little puzzled as to why he's got himself some purple skin on his face, but his hands are "flesh" toned. Didn't like that his headdress is missing the upper tusks and were replaced by two little nipples. Oh, well. Can't have everything, I suppose. BoShek is okay. There's a little bit of overspray on his white parts. There was one on the pegs that was just a complete horror! Obviously, I just let that one sit there.

Lord Tenebrous
03-19-2002, 06:00 PM
I got this wave at retail, which of course was something of a mixed blessing. I could look at the paint jobs and select the best one...but almost all of the cards were bent. I found a Teebo and BoShek with normal peg wear at the end of the lane, which makes me think this was deliberate. :mad:

I can say that the figure quality was decent. Some silver splatter on Bo, middle leg twisted on R4, and variable teeth quality on Teebo. One BoShek was missing something with his eyes, I can't quite determine what, but comparing him to another, his eyes were vacant and red...ZomboShek.

But I love this wave, and it's a great way to start my hiatus lasting at least until Ephant Mon comes out. I wish everybody the best of luck finding this wave, at the very least, they're very nice to look at. :)