PDA

View Full Version : 20:10-11 for fighting: NHL Thread

Bel-Cam Jos
10-10-2010, 10:51 AM
The NHL sure knows how to wreck an "opening week" of hockey. When was the actual first day and game(s)? And why did Pittsburgh get a new arena, when the Igloo was so successful (if you ignore the first decade or so :rolleyes: )?

But despite global climate change, the sport on ice indoors (with one game outside) begins again.

DarkJedi5
10-10-2010, 03:06 PM
All I know is that my Sharks split a pair of games with Columbus in Stockholm. The Sharks looked pretty rusty as the lines have all been shuffled since last season and the result was a lot of penalties. They won't play again for a week so hopefully the time change isn't a killer and they can get themselves firing on all cylinders.

DarthQuack
10-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Let's go Rangers!

Rocketboy
10-10-2010, 08:39 PM
The Red Wings are off to a great start:

Game 1: Detroit beats Anaheim 4-0, giving Jimmy Howard an opening night shutout. Also, Pavel Datsyuk gets a Gordie Howe Hat Trick and Mike Modano scores in his Red Wings debut.

Game 2: Detroit spoils Chicago's Cup Banner raising by beating the Blackhawks 3-2.

The Chicago Blackhawks raise their Stanley Cup banner prior to their game against the Detroit Red Wings.The moment is marred somewhat when Detroit third-liner Kris Draper surveys the rafters and comments "Wow, Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too!"

Bel-Cam Jos
10-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Penguins win a home game. Yippee! If the playoffs started today (that would be cool), they'd be the #6 seed. :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Wow; it's almost December and this thread's yet to get a page 2. :(

Does anyone understand the changes they made to this year's All-Star Game?

Rogue II
11-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Fans vote still vote for the starters. At some point, they are going to pick 2 captains, who will then choose teams. It isn't conference vs. conference or North America vs. the World (which I didn't like). It is essentially just a glorified pick-up game. They didn't say what the team names would be and I really hope it isn't Team Ovechkin vs. Team Crosby. The whole thing was Brendan Shannahan's idea. Its worth a try and should be interesting.

I think they scrapped the rookie game. Instead, the league is going to pick a group of rookies that will participate in the skills competition.

Rocketboy
11-24-2010, 10:55 PM
The All-Star game is a joke. It's so damn boring.
I prefer watching the skills competition.

DarkJedi5
11-25-2010, 12:12 AM
The only part of the All-Star games I've liked are when there are three Sharks and they play on the same line. The skills competition is much more interesting and the rookie game was always incredibly boring. I will admit that I'm not crazy about the new changes, I feel like it calls attention to how meaningless the game really is if they just assign sides like a pick-up game.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-02-2011, 10:04 AM
I can't blame the rain for that loss. Anyone else think that "fight" was staged?

Rocketboy
01-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Missed the first period, but it was nice to see the Caps win, despite the best efforts by the officials.

It was a New Years treat to see Cindy get blindsided and collapse like a b*tch. It almost made up for the blatant slash she didn't get called for (which was pointed out by the announcers - and if those dummies saw it...).

Bel-Cam Jos
01-02-2011, 02:17 PM
NHL Network had some commentator talk about how Gretzky "complained" to officials in his playing days, perhaps in a way to justify it. I'm a Pens fan, but even I think SIDNEY Crosby whines a bit too much for as good a player as HE is.

I wonder if the next WC could have some lucky fans get to see it at the glass level; I realized that's the difference between "normal" games and these: no glass banging when players get near.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-16-2011, 09:55 AM
What, no one commenting on how the female captain of the Penguins is out with a head boo-boo? :p Or how Vancouver is the top points team in the league?

Slicker
01-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Vancouver is definitely the surprise for me. I was gonna say that you never hear about them on the sports channels but...you never hear about any hockey at all. They'll show the same lame a** dunk 10 times but just show hockey scores as an afterthought.

Rogue II
01-16-2011, 01:53 PM
A lot of experts picked Vancouver to win the Cup this year.

The big news I'm waiting for is the supposed sale of the Sabres. The deal is supposed to be done at the All-Star break. Terry Pegula is buying the team. He's a billionaire who recently gave Penn State $88 million to upgrade their hockey team to Division 1 and a new arena. The Sabres need to clean house and hopefully the new owner is the man to do it.

Rocketboy
01-16-2011, 07:04 PM
What, no one commenting on how the female captain of the Penguins is out with a head boo-boo? :p Or how Vancouver is the top points team in the league?I figured it was Cindy's time of the month and she was just having really bad cramps.

And Vancouver hasn't been much of a surprise. They've got a hell of a good team and, as Rogue II said, they were one of the favorites before the season started.

But I am worried about the Wings (again). Datsyuk, Cleary, Modano and Holmstrom out for a few weeks and Howard with a badly bruised knee. It's like last year all over, except we don't have an Olympic break for them to get healthy this year.
And having to rely on Osgood and MacDonald in net for a while...yikes.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-18-2011, 09:44 PM
The most exciting play in sports, because the newscasters say so: the penalty shot. Pens over Wings... in the regular season.

Rocketboy
01-18-2011, 10:12 PM
The most exciting play in sports, because the newscasters say so: the penalty shot.Which has lost all of its excitement since the introduction of the shootout.

Pens over Wings... in the regular season.Kind of expected the loss tonight. With all the injuries they have I expect the Wings to have a bad month, but I hope not.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Malkin's back! Hooray! :D Malkin's checked into the boards... Malkin limps off the ice. Boo! :( But Pens win! Hooray! :thumbsup:

And TeeEye's Bakersfield Condors need to stop beating our Ontario Reign minor league team! :upset:

TeeEye7
02-05-2011, 01:56 PM
And TeeEye's Bakersfield Condors need to stop beating our Ontario Reign minor league team! :upset:

I wish we were having success against Las Vegas and Stockton this year, too. We just don't have it together like we did last year. It doesn't help when your coach is either thrown out of games or suspended so often. Maybe it's time for Marty Raymond to go bye-bye.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Penguins get both statistically and literally beaten against the NY teams this weekend. Ouch.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-23-2011, 09:27 AM
New ownership in Buffalo. A billionaire owner took over for another billionaire owner. The major difference is that the new owner was a Sabre fan for most of his life and bought the team out of pride and not money. His words during the press conference was all finanicial restrictions have been lifted off this team.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Heartbreaker last night: Pens tie it up with 50 seconds left, by pulling the goalie, then proceed to lose to SJ with 4 seconds left in OT. Fourth-best record (points-wise) in the whole league, but are in 4th in the Eastern Conf.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-06-2011, 09:53 AM
After losing AGAIN with seconds left this week, the Penguins gave up another last-minute tying goal in regulation, but do score in OT to beat the Bruins.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Up by 4 goals on the road; easy win, right? Nope. The Pens give up two quick PP goals, then end up with the only SO goal and escape with 2 big points. Both Pitt and Detroit seemed to forget how to run a power play (defense or passing) at times. Frustrating game, but the win is necessary when you have guys suspended for the next 10 games and the opening round of playoffs (I wonder how long Cooke will remain a Penguin).

Bel-Cam Jos
03-23-2011, 10:25 AM
In minor league news, the Ontario Reign have: a) the lowest points in the league, b) the least wins in the league, c) the most losses in the league, d) scored the least goals in the league, and e) given up the most goals in the league. But the arena is nice!

DarthQuack
04-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Come on Rangers, go 7 games!!!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
04-22-2011, 11:09 AM
The Sabres and Flyers are locked in a death battle right now, with the Sabres playing the role of the Broad Street Bullies and the Flyers the nonphysical Sabres. Worlds are now upside down!

Poor Phoenix. Will probably end up in Winnipeg, which is not a bad thing.

The Sharks laid the hurt on the Kings last night. Poor Kings fans have been waiting a long time for the 2nd round.

Vancouver must be pooping bricks right now.

DarkJedi5
04-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Yeah, my Sharks are in good position with the series headed back to the Bay 3-1 but Montreal is making me scratch my head. After 2 convincing road wins they've struggled down the stretch in two home losses. I really thought after winning the first 2 on the road it would be a short series, now we're in for at least 6.

DarthQuack
04-22-2011, 02:02 PM
I would love to see The Winnipeg Jets make a return and I'm sure the faithful up there would as well!

TeeEye7
04-22-2011, 03:09 PM
...with Bobby Hull...

DarthQuack
04-23-2011, 09:22 AM
My playoff beard rests today on the Rangers winning and forcing a game 6 and 7. :-\

Bel-Cam Jos
04-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Well, if Pitt wins another OT game or a 1-goal game, they'll have been outscored in the series but still win. I hope they wrap this'n up on Mon. in TB. I plan to just forget today's "game."

Darth Metalmute
04-25-2011, 04:03 PM
How odd would it be to have teams winning from 0-3 holes in consecutive years? I'm rooting for it, if only for selfish reasons as to not have to stay up till 1:30 A.M. to watch a Wings game.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Well, I will maybe watch the Cup run, but it won't be fun for me without the Penguins. They were pretty dang good considering the big names who've been out hurt. I hope Tampa rips it up.

Darth Metalmute
05-02-2011, 08:57 AM
I think it's about time for a "Sit Todd Bertuzzi" movement. This guy is killing the Wings. Took a horrible roughing penalty that led to the game tying goal in Game 1, and then gives up on a play yesterday that leads to the second goal for the Sharks. I would much rather see Modano in there.

DarkJedi5
05-02-2011, 12:00 PM
I think it's about time for a "Sit Todd Bertuzzi" movement. This guy is killing the Wings. Took a horrible roughing penalty that led to the game tying goal in Game 1, and then gives up on a play yesterday that leads to the second goal for the Sharks. I would much rather see Modano in there.

I love it! Keep Todd in there. His hot head and heavy legs are just what the Sharks need on the ice.

DarkJedi5
05-05-2011, 02:23 AM
Whoo! One year later (to the day) and the Sharks win again in Detroit, 4-3 in OT, to take a 3-0 series lead. Here's hoping they avoid the terrible game 4 performance they turned in a year ago.

But even more surprising is Washington being swept out of the play-offs by Tampa! Who saw that one coming? Looks like the Caps are picking up the "play-off choker" rep that the Sharks are shedding.

Darth Metalmute
05-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Here's hoping the Wings come back from 3-0......

But that's wishful thinking. The Sharks are a terrible match up for the Wings and have been for years.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Vancouver, Cupless since it entered the league in 1970, Boston, hasn't won a Cup since 1972, two teams that have been through a serious drought--which one wins?

DarkJedi5
05-30-2011, 09:40 PM
I think it's the Canucks. They've got the pieces, have had time to get healthy, and with Manny back they could be firing on all cylinders.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-31-2011, 10:31 AM
I'd go with Vancouver, to give Oh Canada its first Cup in almost 20 years.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-06-2011, 09:28 AM
So, apparently the Canucks just need a few seconds to win: under 20 left to win game 1 and 11 seconds into overtime to win game 2.

Darth Metalmute
06-07-2011, 08:21 AM
The NHL has struck again. I love it how suspension rules change when the finals come around. We will see today if the blind side hit gets punished. (doubt it)

Bel-Cam Jos
06-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Hmm... Vancouver has been outscored 14-6 in the series, but up 3 games to 2 overall. I almost want them to lose 6-0 or something in game 6, then get another 1-goal win in Game 7 (capitalized for its immense importance to world history).

DarthBrandon
06-14-2011, 07:50 AM
Series is tied 3 games a piece with Boston out scoring Vancounver 19 to 8. Neither is my team (mine never made the playoffs), but I hope Boston beats the pants off these Diving girly men. I've never seen so many grown men whining about this & that, it just makes me sick to think Vancouver could win a prize that is for men, when they haven't behaved like men at all. (We need more power plays, did you see him check me ref? did you see my head flip ref when he almost high sticked me, he did this ref, he did that, how come I got a penalty ref, that wasn't a cheap shot ref, how come you are against us ref, why is the NHL against us ref, when is it going to be far ref, we are not supposed to loose games ref, it's your fault ref, they are not supposed to score so many goals, it's not fair. The whole orgainization from the top down is like this, it all started back in the Hawks series & it is quite disgraceful. I really do hope the Bruins (who are the lesser of the two evils IMHO) win the Cup. What time is it in Boston right now, it's 19 past Luongo, & hope many more. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
06-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Well, rioting means the series is over, as well as Betman's congratulations unable to be heard over the massive crowd booing.