PDA

View Full Version : I am so glad the Chilean Miners are about to be rescued TODAY!!!

Tycho
10-12-2010, 07:20 PM
33 of them have been trapped for over 2 months.

They projected a rescue could take as long as Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I am so glad for them.

I think it's hard to think of a story with a happier ending!

They'll all be telling us about it by tomorrow.

bigbarada
10-13-2010, 05:34 PM
33 of them have been trapped for over 2 months.

They projected a rescue could take as long as Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I am so glad for them.

I think it's hard to think of a story with a happier ending!

They'll all be telling us about it by tomorrow.

So what's the word, have they actually started lifting them out yet? I couldn't imagine being trapped in the dark with 32 other guys for that long.

Tycho
10-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Well, I think they ran electricity down to them, and they had portable generators.

That stuff could be sent down in a smaller opening (perhaps the beginnings of the ones they are using now) - like how they got them food and water.

For the first 17 days though, no one knew they were missing or needed help.

But yeah, I think about 23 of the 33 have been rescued so far.

FOX News has continuous coverage that's been very good.

JimJamBonds
10-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Yup, the first guy out was last night around 12ish central, then its (I think) 20 min. for the cart/elevator to get down there and 20 min. back up. I just checked on CNN and they said they have 29 on the surface which leaves 4 more to go.

bigbarada
10-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Very cool that this story has a happy ending. :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
10-14-2010, 04:09 AM
Very cool that this story has a happy ending. :thumbsup:

Except for the married guy whose mistress met him at the mine when he came to the surface instead of his wife of 28 years. I think his soon-to-be-ex-wife is going to give him the shaft (again). :whip:

JimJamBonds
10-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Except for the married guy whose mistress met him at the mine when he came to the surface instead of his wife of 28 years. I think his soon-to-be-ex-wife is going to give him the shaft (again). :whip:

Is that for real???

TeeEye7
10-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Is that for real???

Yessiree....in front of God and the TV viewing world, his mistress was shown giving him a big ol' bear hug minutes after he was rescued. The news commentator explained that his wife refuse to show up after it was revealed that TWO people were holding vigil for the same miner in the tent city that popped up around the mine in support of the trapped men. Oops!

http://abcnews.go.com/International/chilean-miner-yonni-barrios-mistress-wife/story?id=11869775

JimJamBonds
10-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Yessiree....in front of God and the TV viewing world, his mistress was shown giving him a big ol' bear hug minutes after he was rescued. The news commentator explained that his wife refuse to show up after it was revealed that TWO people were holding vigil for the same miner in the tent city that popped up around the mine in support of the trapped men. Oops!

http://abcnews.go.com/International/chilean-miner-yonni-barrios-mistress-wife/story?id=11869775

Ohhh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maradona
10-15-2010, 12:49 PM
I was most touched by the miner who dropped to his knees upon being released from the shaft and thanked God. :thumbsup:

Slicker
10-15-2010, 11:28 PM
I could give two sh*ts. As we celebrate 33 miners rescued we don't here even a peep for the hundreds of service members that died in that same span.

Not taking it into the Pit whatsoever I'm just saying that we need to get our damn priorities straight.

TeeEye7
10-16-2010, 03:53 AM
I could give two sh*ts. As we celebrate 33 miners rescued we don't here even a peep for the hundreds of service members that died in that same span.

Not taking it into the Pit whatsoever I'm just saying that we need to get our damn priorities straight.

We lost two Marines in as many days from my county this week. :cry:

Tycho
10-16-2010, 06:14 AM
Slicker, I agree with you, but I think we can do well to think of and celebrate the lives of each - the living and the dead.

I think we're way too desensitized to soldiers dying in this (approaching) 10 years war in the Middle East.

Meanwhile, because this type of thing had never happened before, the miners' stories are being celebrated.

It is a feel-good story.

And in terms of war, V-E and V-J Days are still celebrated because our nation found a way to actually win those wars.

I would support winning in Afghanistan and by thinking about V-E and V-J Days, I know what a clear victory should look like:

A strong civilian government in Kabul run by the Afghan people as a republic of sorts, with a strong civilian and military security force that stands watch over the citizens and lets them be free. But that is a topic for a different thread.

JimJamBonds
10-16-2010, 10:37 AM

We lost two Marines in as many days from my county this week. :cry:

One of them was from my hometown.

Blue2th
10-16-2010, 01:38 PM
The go-to guys who punched through that rock ahead of schedule were an American company that got called away from drilling water wells in Afghanistan for the U.S. Army.

It's good to see that these miners can survive against the odds. The odds of not surviving are greater. So in that we can celebrate.
Now these Chilean miners are celebrities and everyone wants to know about their private lives.

Lets not forget though the 29 miners that died here in Virginia just this last April 2010 all because the miner operators couldn't keep their methane detectors working.

I can feel good about this news in Chile but still be mindful of the tragedies also.

TeeEye7
10-16-2010, 04:20 PM
I think I heard that the rescue capsule was NASA-designed (or at least NASA engineers had something to do with it). Good ol' American ingenuity! :thumbsup: