PDA

View Full Version : Take a look at the new 21st Century toys 3 3/4 WWII figure......

INDIANA
03-02-2002, 12:22 PM
...why the hell can't Hasblo do this?!?!?!?

I don't collect, a friend does. I saw the new line of figures this morning. $5.99 each and the detail and articulation are great!!!
EACH figure has hands, elbows x2, sholders, neck, waist, hips, thighs, knees, and feet.

If Hasblo made the figures MORE posable, not LOCKED into little statues, WE could put them in ANY pose we want!

If a small, little known toy company can do this, I just don't understand why a giant like Hasblo can't......

derek
03-02-2002, 12:32 PM
this military line is pretty cool, but are major peg warmers. i really their huey helicopter and tanks. they are really well done.

LTBasker
03-02-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by INDIANA
...why the hell can't Hasblo do this?!?!?!?

I don't collect, a friend does. I saw the new line of figures this morning. $5.99 each and the detail and articulation are great!!!
EACH figure has hands, elbows x2, sholders, neck, waist, hips, thighs, knees, and feet.

If Hasblo made the figures MORE posable, not LOCKED into little statues, WE could put them in ANY pose we want!

If a small, little known toy company can do this, I just don't understand why a giant like Hasblo can't......

Yeah I know, I saw the Swat team line at a website and saw that the figures were standard with that articulation, but Hasbro does have significant details to get in the way, like for instance the Swat team and military figures are just sculpted as anyone and never really present a likeness, but SW figures do have to have the likeness and so they have to pay royalties to the person who portrayed them not too mention royalties to Lucas for the license.
So all in all it's probably that Hasbro can't afford it due to all the royalties there are too be paid plus they don't want to end up with hideous joints on some figures because they can't hide them well enough.

True I would rather be able to pose my figures in the scenes I'd want them to, but I doubt Hasbro will want to take away the supposedly "scene-specific" figure (which is really beginning to be a bad excuse for limited articulation considering they made Eeth Koth POTJ which represents E1 Eeth) but we'll just get the other poses in resculpts with a little articulation added her and there, I mean who wouldn't want to see Jango or a Clone Trooper with 16 points of articulation??? But I doubt we'll ever see articulation like that go standard.

yaddle yodas love pu
03-03-2002, 09:34 PM
Yeah, the XD Ultimate Solider figures display a great deal of articulation while still maintaining aweseome sculpts. Hasbro could learn from this. The P-38, Corsair, Tiger Tank and Walker Bulldog Tank are some of the coolest 3 3/4" vehicles ever made, by the way.

JEDIpartner
03-04-2002, 08:09 AM
I completely agree with LTB's point on the royalties and rights. Think about the price breakdown... we are currently paying (approximately) $6.99USD for an action figure. The "generic" soldier figures are $5.99USD. None of that money is wrapped up in licensing fees. I can guarantee that $1.50-2.00USD is wrapped up in licensing for LFL and the "likeness" royalties. We would probably end up paying $9.99USD for each figure if they were made in the same fashion as those figures. Sure it would be nice, but I'd rather save a couple bucks. I STILL don't like the scene specific figures though. They don't fit into the scenes I wish to put them in.

INDIANA
03-04-2002, 11:50 AM
No, wait....

first establish that if the two companies made the same kind of figures and sold them for $5.99. Fine. Now tack on the LFL licensing charges (1.50 to $2 as you suggest) and we are paying 7.50 to 8. If they were producing quality product, I wouldn't mind.

Also, do you really think LFL makes $1.50 to $2.00 on every figure?

JEDIpartner
03-04-2002, 03:56 PM
It's amazing what ridiculous mark up there is on stuff like this. There's also an odd percentage they continue to mark things up based on the overall cost. I suppose it's kinda like the Richter scale of pricing. The magnitude of a 6.0 is MANY MANY times greater than a 5.0. A slight mark up can result in a.) mark up from the manufacturer of .10 to .30 on every additional dollar and b.) an additional 30. to .50 by the retailer. Then, they round to the nearest .99. Like an earthquake, this pricing scheme can do a lot of damage to your bank account! :greedy:

It's like that on record royalties. We bought each CD for about $10.49 and it was sold for $14.99. The artist made about .03 on every disc and the producer and songwriters made about $1.20 combined. The packaging and promotions made a little more ($1.50) and the manager gets about .40. The disc manufacturer gets about $3.00 and the remaining $4.36 goes to the record company. It's a ripoff, really.