PDA

View Full Version : Check out this swapping scheme....sick

bkusna
10-23-2010, 12:29 AM
http://www.galactichunter.com/gh/story/tales-swapping-continued-potf2-retail-2010

bigbarada
10-23-2010, 08:20 AM
http://www.galactichunter.com/gh/story/tales-swapping-continued-potf2-retail-2010

Wow, that's insane; but anytime stores rely solely on UPC codes to keep track of all of their merchandise, they will leave themselves wide open for crap like this.

bkusna
10-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Wow, that's insane; but anytime stores rely solely on UPC codes to keep track of all of their merchandise, they will leave themselves wide open for crap like this.
People are reporting finding the new Target Hoth battle packs with POTF swapped figures.....Can you just imagine what's actually INSIDE the box????? I bet these swappers put all kinds of nick-nacks like a half-eaten snickers, old toothpaste tubes, some rocks,...etc

nohagent
10-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Last year I bought the TRU exclusive gunship for my kid. We found water bottles, newspaper from Alabama, and a busted old gi joe vehicle inside.

Last night at one of my targets I saw special seals placed on the edges of hoth packs pretty much saying return not accepted if seal is broken.

Slicker
10-23-2010, 05:14 PM
So how is doing this any worse than taking already purchased figures back to get more money than what you paid?

nohagent
10-23-2010, 05:18 PM
who knows but this is all out of control. the deal is packages need special seals like on lego of pentium cpus. this way you cant deny a broken seal.

bkusna
10-23-2010, 07:50 PM
So how is doing this any worse than taking already purchased figures back to get more money than what you paid?
because the returned figures are EXACTLY the same figures....it's not swapping figures that are 10 years old!!!!!!!!

nohagent
10-23-2010, 08:01 PM
I think slicker has totally missed the point...

bkusna
10-23-2010, 08:05 PM
I think slicker has totally missed the point...

Agreed...this is stating the obvious.....

Maradona
10-23-2010, 08:43 PM
I was at a WM once, in line to exchange gift, when a person ahead of me was returning a water purification unit. The counter attendant, to his dismay, opened it. He was trying to get her not to, but she went ahead. Inside were old VHS cassettes. The guy became flustered, but I missed much of the dialogue because I was performing my transaction. I do recall a manager coming over, but whether he was correctly cited for attempted theft I'll never know. We live in a world of scum and villainy.

El Chuxter
10-23-2010, 08:55 PM
That's a lot of unnecessary work. When I returned my old POTF2 Bespin Luke and Sandtrooper, I just heated up the packing material so they fit properly on the new Vintage bubbles. Much easier than printing fake UPCs.

dr_evazan22
10-24-2010, 01:07 AM
I bet these swappers put all kinds of nick-nacks like a half-eaten snickers, old toothpaste tubes, some rocks,...etc

Forgive me, but that makes NO sense at all!

Why... WHY! would someone only eat HALF a snickers?!

sith_killer_99
10-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Forgive me, but that makes NO sense at all!

Why... WHY! would someone only eat HALF a snickers?!

Agreed, that's just crazy!:crazed:

bkusna
10-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Agreed, that's just crazy!:crazed:
snickers, really satisfies....but when you're a swapper, only thing that will satisfy you is trading in 10 year old figures for brand new ones...:hurt:

Slicker
10-24-2010, 09:46 PM
That's a lot of unnecessary work. When I returned my old POTF2 Bespin Luke and Sandtrooper, I just heated up the packing material so they fit properly on the new Vintage bubbles. Much easier than printing fake UPCs.Well at least that's smart because it's still the same figure!!1!!! Now if it was a different figure then it would be dumb and THEN you would be ripping someone off!

TheDarthVader
10-24-2010, 10:23 PM
I had a dream about this...I was in the toy aisle and there were three old star wars figures with glued upcs on them. That was last night after I read this story. Weird.

Rogue II
10-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Meh, its only plastic. Its not like they are stealing someone's avatar, which is practically identity theft.

Tycho
10-25-2010, 06:11 AM
Well, if Milky Way bars are on sale, you could purchase them at one store and return them in exchange for Snickers if the chocolate is priced the same at another store. :yes:

However, this does not work with Twix, because there are two of them in every pack.

And you can't cut a Milky Way bar in half to match the exact same size of Twix bars, either.

I've spent hours on this myself, but I am not a pro-candy bar customizer.

But I did save 3 cents on each Snickers bar by returning Milky Way bars to a different store!

After I drove for 20 minutes to a different retailer, I returned 18 chocolate bars and saved a total of $0.54! :yes:

I make sure to take advantage of bargains like this that I've come across in life! :crazed:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a serious note:

1) Anyone troop-building Hoth Soldiers have too many with beards or goatees. This is how Hasbro single-carded almost every Hoth Trooper - save for maybe that 2004 Saga one, which was scaled too small.

2) Parents buying the Hoth sets for their child-newbie fans, won't know the difference, and the (youngest) kids that get them might not either. (Might not. As a child, I was aware that the vintage Imperial Commander was not Admiral Piett, and I wanted Piett!)

3) Collectors buying the Hoth sets could be very disappointed. I myself should be able to use the cannons, but I really want the Rebel figures. I do not want to make multiple trips to Target - though I could return tampered-with sets. Thanks to this post subject, I will open my battlepacks in the parking lot and make sure I got what I paid for.

4) This pretty much sucks. Hasbro might release the Hoth Soldier single-carded in a Legends assortment in a year or so as it is.

5) They still have not made the vintage Hoth Rebel Soldier (tan vest, no facial hair!)

bkusna
10-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Meh, its only plastic. Its not like they are stealing someone's avatar, which is practically identity theft.
I read this 7 times before I figured out that I didn't post this....nice jedi mind-tricklol

Rogue II
10-25-2010, 08:25 AM
I read this 7 times before I figured out that I didn't post this....nice jedi mind-tricklol

I believe it was old Ben Kenobi that said "The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."

bkusna
10-25-2010, 08:43 AM
I believe it was old Ben Kenobi that said "The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."
I believe it was B.A. Baracus that said " I pity da fool who goes out tryin' a' take over da world by stealing other's avatars":lipsrsealed:

El Chuxter
10-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Not to take sides, but Rogue II had that 'tar before you were born. :) Every time I see one of your posts, I think, "Wow! Rogue II is back! Wonder what brought him back?" But then I realize that the post is discussing buying new Star Wars toys, and I'm pretty sure he's out of that game for the most part, so it's probably not him.

So, what did bring you back, RII?

bkusna
10-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Not to take sides, but Rogue II had that 'tar before you were born. :) Every time I see one of your posts, I think, "Wow! Rogue II is back! Wonder what brought him back?" But then I realize that the post is discussing buying new Star Wars toys, and I'm pretty sure he's out of that game for the most part, so it's probably not him.

I came back as BKUSNA.....shhhhh "I see dead people"

Rogue II
10-25-2010, 09:25 PM

I only came for the nachos.

And my recent purchase of the Walmart Jabba and the Rebel Hoth set from Target made feel nostalgic of the good old POTF2 days. So, I came back here to see you guys.

bkusna
10-25-2010, 09:30 PM
I only came for the nachos.

And my recent purchase of the Walmart Jabba and the Rebel Hoth set from Target made feel nostalgic of the good old POTF2 days. So, I came back here to see you guys.
I will change my avatar....I just googled 100x100 pixel images and that's the first one I saw.....my new one is gonna be legendary:razz:

Sean the Hutt
10-27-2010, 05:08 AM
I saw the rodian bounty hunter 2 pack target exclusive. Except..it had the rodian from the max rebo band wal mart exclusive stuffed in! I took it to the front and explained. they were young and did not seem to care too much. Seriously whoever is so whacked to do that, you can't afford collecting. You have a problem and need to get your priorities straight. You are thieves. And very pathetic lame ones at that.

Tycho
10-28-2010, 01:05 AM
What is the Rodian BOUNTY HUNTER 2-pack Target exclusive?

Did you mean Arena / Geonosian battle 2-pack with a Rodian JEDI?

While I want that one, I also want a Rodian bounty hunter from Clone Wars and seriously hope I'm not missing out on anything.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-28-2010, 02:44 AM
What is the Rodian BOUNTY HUNTER 2-pack Target exclusive?

Did you mean Arena / Geonosian battle 2-pack with a Rodian JEDI?

While I want that one, I also want a Rodian bounty hunter from Clone Wars and seriously hope I'm not missing out on anything.
You're not. There haven't been any Rodian bounty hunters in The Clone Wars so far, aside from Greedo (and there isn't a figure of that appearance yet, nor any mention of one).

Sean the Hutt
10-28-2010, 05:19 AM
yes Tycho, that is what I meant. I was still outraged when I wrote that. I wanted an action figure theif bounty hunter to track the jerk down! It is the only target set I want. I saw a rodian, got stoked, then saw what it was....

Sean the Hutt
10-28-2010, 10:39 PM
ok, I finally oicked uo the rodian arena showdown. however, the same one that was messed up from the other day was back on the shelf!. After I took it to the front the other day! Now who is the criminal? Target for knowingly putting out misrepresented toys even though they know it is damaged goods? PLUS, there was a hoth set there today with both hoth troopers replaced with the old crappy ones! I brought it to there attention again. They said thank you...but the guy was too young to care. So why do I care? first, I am legally blind. So now I have to scrutinize every thing I buy even more. Thanks, thanks a lot whoever you are.
As for target, do I email there corporate offices? or should I not give a crap. If the corporation does not care, and the employees don't care, then this must be new policy and I too should be stealing figures. If it is no longer against the law.
I won't, I can afford my habit. Apparently, some of you can not.
Yjen I start wondering, how much other stuff in stores is replaced with crap? The stores do us the favor of allowing returns. That may just get harder to do in the future.
Still, I got what I wanted and left the crime scene behind. i think I will get some crime scene tape and put it around the molested toys I see. seriously.

Tycho
10-28-2010, 11:16 PM
I've seen this before too many times, Sean.

One time, on a Wilrow Hood card, I knowingly bought a customized Lando they re-carded for Wilrow.

The Lando was made using a body from the Crimson Empire Royal Guards Training Pack and Lando, in this yellow armor, looked much like he's supposed to in Heir To The Empire, as the Nkklon Mining Colony Baron.

So I bought it knowingly - because it would have cost me more (at least the price of 2 figures, though one comes from an EE exclusive on top of it) - to get all the parts to make this custom that worked for me.

A lot of the time I was disturbed to find the packaging of the black Bespin Security Guard, only to see the old POTJ figure carded inside.

This has to be the work of an OLDER collector - in his 20's to 30's. Why? POTJ was 9 years ago - the Bespin Guard offered about 8 years back.

If the collector was even 11 years old when he got the original Bespin Guard (POTJ), he'd have to be 19 years old now - an adult.

He could still be a cash-poor 30-something (or older) and obviously not a carded collector (unless he still buys multiples).

But this is done because they're cash-poor

- and they feel it's Hasbro's fault and they should be punished for releasing any non-definitive figure and then upgrading it. :rolleyes: (I get mad about this too, but then I just don't buy the upgrades, not steal them).

- and they also may run out of room and don't want to store their discarded figure pile when there are upgrades. (Toys For Tots etc mostly accepts UNOPENED figures - and it's somehow more cruel to give a child the wrong item. However that may happen when another child gets the figure as a present. BUT a poor child might be grateful to get any figure, even if it's 1997 on BAD Malakali's card.

Sean the Hutt
10-29-2010, 04:34 AM
I agree. It has to be someone in their 30's for sure. I just turned 40. I guess that is old around here!
I have accepted most of my stuff is worth little. As it should be. I did not get in to make quick money. i love star wars, If I can sell it when i am old, great, if not, who cares. I have too much stuff anyway. I have been giving a lot away. Opening a lot, and generally buying less.
I always want to make those dioramas, but never do. I realize that star wars is going to go on for a while. well into my 50's at least. My guess is for a long LONG time. So I don't have room for everything anyway!
As for the thieves, it will always be a game. I just want to get to the day I can get my figures and vehicles out without having to untwist, or almost break anything trying to get it out. Not likely any time too soon.
I wonder if the toys that were switched were mint or played in condition...lol, I will have to look next time. I am doing a profile on toy theives...and their dirty little secrets! They are the ones who drink out of the milk carton. They don't lift toilet seats, oh I could go on profiling...
Have a good one, have fun collecting,
oh, it was the ESCONDIDO target if anyone cares.
I have started to open ships just to check and make sure things are on the up and up. I checked the AT AT.
a tip. If something is the last one on the shelf...be wary. Check it carefully. If there are a few. Pick up a few to compare weight and listen for loose parts rolling around. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!
Any other anti theft advice?

tagmac
10-29-2010, 08:27 AM
Here's a link to a thread I posted back in June of a similar disgusting swapping scheme.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42763

And I thought it was bad when I spotted a K-Mart Jedi Temple attack set with the 501st troops replace by regular clones. I STILL can't believe they actually took these back!

Tycho
10-29-2010, 11:48 AM
The store employees do not care.

Take this example for you parents out there:

You have a baby.

They outgrow their clothes.

You save the receipts and tags for their 6 month old clothes.

You buy the same clothes within your 90 return priviledge. Returning the new ones with the old receipt.

Your new receipt doesn't expire for 90 more days.

When it's time to get the 1 year old clothes, you return the 6 month old clothes (in as good of condition as possible) with your newest receipt.

Now you've paid NO MONEY for your 1st year of baby clothes.

Sick isn't it?

A HUGE, MAJOR Star Wars fan works at the Returns Desk for Target when you do this. Oh - he'd catch a Regular Clone swapped out for a 501st in a heartbeat!

However, for minimum wage ($8 / hr in California due to COL expenses) this Star Wars fan does not care about baby clothes and has no expertise in the area. He gets his $8 as long as he stands at Customer Service.

Now the next level where the error could be caught (now that the theif has gotten away with it) is a Returns Adjuster (or Re-Stocker) - whatever they might be called. Again, for minium wage, do they want to really check the product? If no one buys it, it can be clearanced later - then someone will buy it (used baby clothes and all - hey - it's at garage sale prices almost).

Would someone track down a creditcard holder who might have done this? Well, the item cost less than $25 in most cases (imagine a 1998 AT-AT swaped out for the new BAT-AT though! - And an employee not knowing or caring about the difference!) However, if caught, a lawyer to press charges against the shoplifter is $150 an hour (maybe the minimum extra for a retained attorney). And if the city or county criminal lawyer prosecutes this - don't they have bigger fish to fry than a theft in a swapping scheme over an $8 figure? Or any item less than $25 for sure! They probably wouldn't bother with the 1998 AT-AT for the BAT-AT either.

So the best defense for a collector is to do what Sean The Hutt is doing, and really check what you purchase - and yes - even boxed vehicles!

This hurts collectors because say the employees don't care, and they accept 1981 Twin Pod Cloud Cars as returns in modern Vintage packaging. Then these keep getting restocked and returned by unhappy customers meaning to buy the new Cloud Car. Well - simply put - the assortment won't be re-ordered and we'll have tons of the same Jedi Starfighters over and over again (never getting Jocasta Nu's Jedi Starfighter :D )

I think it's just a recurring problem with no solution possible.

It's one of the many problems within our hobby.