PDA

View Full Version : My Personal Collection: SideShow / Hasbro 12" Figures Mixed: Coruscant / Death Star

Tycho
10-25-2010, 06:50 AM
Here are two display detolfs from my personal collection, showcasing the "black room" arrangements from Coruscant, the Executer, and the Death Star from

ROTS
ANH
ESB
ROTJ

Soon I will get one more detolf for this room and add in TPM and AOTC figures, but these two set-ups went together well, don't you think?

I am also posting this for discussion: whether you think it is worth $60 to $100 or more per figure to replace the Hasbro characters with SideShow Toy ones.

I would argue it was not. The two collections seem to blend well enough.

Newbies are welcome to ask which are SideShow and which are Hasbro if you do not already know.

In order of how they are stacked in my detolfs (IKEA's name for these stand-up display cases with shelving):

ROTS Jedi High Council*
ROTS Chancellor Palpatine vs Mace Windu
ROTS Darth Vader and the 501st Legion
ROTS Darth Sidious vs. Master Yoda

[Edit: I've since added Plo Koon's Jedi Robe]

All these displays satisfy me very well. I would like to add SaeSee Tiin, Agen Kolar, and Pablo Jill to my E3 Jedi Council. The remaining 3 were Anakin and Obi-Wan, plus Stass Allie (redundant for my collection in 2 cases, and boring sculpts compared to the potential for great figures with the alien Jedi).

Tycho
10-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Here's the 2nd case:

Expanded Universe: Palpatine commands his new Empire*
ANH: Han Solo, Chewbacca, and Luke Skywalker infiltrate the Death Star
ESB: the bounty hunters respond to the call
ROTJ: Luke Skywalker bids farewell to his father

*It's questionable that "Captain" Piett would be at a high-level meeting with the Emperor, Lord Vader, and Grand Moff Tarkin.

When Tarkin was still alive, Piett was not yet an admiral.

UPDATE:

In display 5 (the Empire), Tarkin and Palpatine don't look as good as SideShow would make them, but the Hasbro 14" Vader is just fine. I could use 1 more Royal Guard, but he's not an urgent need. SideShow could do a Kir Kanos version that is easily viewable as the ROTJ version, and it would be awesome!

In display 6 (the Rebellion), Han and Luke could use better face sculpts, as could their armor. SideShow did a better job. Still, I don't really want to open my pocket to replace these - who are cool for nostagia's sake.

In display 7, I love my bounty hunters. Bossk is blocking out Zuckuss, who is behind him and viewable at a different angle. The Boba Fett is the Hasbro electronic one that talks and makes blaster sounds. I like this Fett figure. Everything is better than satisfactory here. I remember how excited I was to get Zuckuss, as well as when I purchased Bossk, 4-LOM, and IG-88 all together in the waves that began and completed my bounty hunter collection.

In display 8, Luke with his father - it works for me pretty well. This is another Hasbro 14" electronic Vader - I seriously stocked up on this figure as I like it a lot. I just should have removed the sticker on the detolf which you can see underneath Vader's mask in his son's hands. That will be taken care of shortly.

bkusna
10-25-2010, 07:51 AM
these are AWESOME!!!!! you should be getting your BAD parts in the mail today:thumbsup:

dr_evazan22
10-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Your Shaak Ti looks incredible, at least in this pic. I haven't opened mine up. That Yoda (in the chair) looks like he's borrowing Mace's "This party's over!" expression. I never saw that particular 12" in this area (or the single Scout trooper).

I really like everything about Mace's costume EXCEPT for those white pants. They might be good at the disco, but not on a member of the JC. Were they white in ROTS too? Palp's likeness is very good.

in the last pic it looks like Palp's is playing with a child.

Fett's helmet size looks decent there, but I think the TVC 12" had better armor and colors (I think his jump suit is too light in the elec version.

Looking forward to seeing another display. As for replacing newer SS fig's for older Hasbro, I'd only do that on a fig by fig basis. I think the H Lando Skiff Guard is pretty awesome, so if they redid that one its not automatic that I'd get one. Though for the purposes of doing dio's, order one, display the better / more favored one as Lando, and use the other as filler near the rear as another skiff guard.

Blue2th
10-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Nice! Nice Ikea cases too.

They do look good together. It's really remarkable. Hey where's Zuckuss? (oh he's behind there somewhere)
Try to get any of those Bounty Hunters from Sideshow and they haven't been made yet. Not even Boba you'd think.

I have kept all my Hasbro 12" figures that haven't been made by Sideshow and there's a ton of them still.

I have missed a few Sideshow figures lately, but most of them other than clones can be had for cheaper than original retail.

jonthejedi
10-26-2010, 04:40 AM
Nice mix of ideas, too, Tycho. Here's a coupla mine...I love the Detolf cases. Mine seem to be more by Ep. number.

Tycho
10-26-2010, 07:02 AM
Nice pics Jon.

Is that E2 or E3 Obi-Wan? Both SideShow figures are a couple of their finest offerings in my opinion. I didn't buy the E2 one - I have a few Hasbros - but I put SideShow Jedi robes on them. I DO own 2 E3 Obi-Wans and really love that figure. It's the first SideShow sculpt I ever bought.

Now did you get that front Sandtrooper to kneel? Is it Medicom or SideShow?

I have my Utopau Clone kneeling, but I'm never as satisfied with the pose as I would like to be.

The idea is that Obi-Wan will be fighting General Grievous, with Cody standing and firing a blaster behind him, the trooper at his side, kneeling with his rifle (obviously Cody hasn't shipped yet). Grievous is the Hasbro figure.

It's likely that SideShow, probably with Hot Toys, will offer General Grievous. I don't plan to replace my Hasbro one - it's quite good. But I will buy a 2nd Grievous from SideShow as I hope they will also make the Magna Droid body guards, which I'd buy two of to flank the Droid General in another display - the bottom one of the last detolf I'd like for these Coruscant 1/6th scale scenes.

The top shelf has that same Senate Queen Amidala. That's a great Hasbro figure! I also own the 2 pack with Chancellor Valorum and the Senate Guard, and a 1/6 scale E.T. figure which I don't remember how I got - possibly from a dealer store. I would like SideShow to offer SENATOR Papatine from TPM, but I think I'd buy one and he'll go with the Theed Throne Queen Amidala that Hasbro made (though Palpatine was actually in a hologram form). I'm not sure. This depends on whether SideShow also makes Captain Panaka. I want some character (that was there) to join the Theed Throne Room Queen Amidala. (12" Sio Bibble is very unlikely!!! - and not on my list anyway).

I'm also going to display Hasbro E2 Obi-Wan vs. Zam Wessel on self 2. (Zam's not a very good figure, but the challenge will be to creatively display her so she looks her very best. I wouldn't invest in a SideShow figure of her.)

And shelf 3 will have SideShow E3 Anakin (I own 3 of him actually - for these different scenes) - versus Hasbro Count Dooku (arguably one of Hasbro's very best - so spending money on a SideShow Count will never happen for me. I have several Hasbro Dookus - one to fight the E2 Jedi, and a final one to fight Yoda I think).

jonthejedi
10-26-2010, 04:19 PM
That's Qui-Gon with Darth Maul(where did you spot Obi?...but yes, I have Ep. III Obi & Anakin dueling(Sideshow) & EU Obi in Clone armor with hand hologram; also from Sideshow. Go back a ways in the autograph thread & you'll see more of my shelves: I have a whole Medicom shelf with Ep. III Vader, Maul, all clonetroopers, sandtrooper, stormtrooper, Jango & Boba Fett. Lots of Hot Toys too, not too much in the superhero dept., but I did get mech test Tony Stark, bank robbery Joker & DX-Batman. I wish I could have afforded more in Hot Toys Predator line. And no, the sandtroopers don't kneel too well, although I got rebel fleet trooper & AOTC clonetrooper to kneel. Not too much Hasbro peppered in, you did notice Amidala & battle droid on Ep. I shelf.

Tycho
10-26-2010, 04:45 PM
My friend Justin collects those Hot Toys Predators, Aliens (too), and Batman figures. He even bought the Batpod and the $300+ Batmobile Tumbler (it's huge as a 2-seater 1/6 scale vehicle!!!)

Yeah, Qui-Gon looked like Obi-Wan with his hood up. My mistake. But wasn't Obi-Wan trying to look like Qui-Gon in the first place (once he lost his need to wear his hair like a Padawan?

I have the Mustafar Duel set up with SideShow figures myself. They look really good, don't they?

I didn't buy Medicom. It gets too expensive. Plus I buy multiples of certain SideShow for "1/6 dioramas" - just arrangements you see in these cases. There isn't room for backgrounds for them, really - but that does mean multiple Anakins and Obi-Wans (and the Hasbro 14" Darth Vaders from back in the day). I don't own the SideShow Vader but bought it as a gift for a friend. It is SUPER-AWESOME!

jonthejedi
10-27-2010, 04:05 AM
I'll try to take some more pix with my wife's digital camera...I have a Jedi shelf that has the armored Obi(spun off in realistic style from the micro-cartoon, Kit Fisto, Aayla, KI-adi & Plo Koon. I have Mace but have never opened him. I think Hasbro 12" peaked with Bossk & IG-88. I loved their tauntaun, but had to pour cement into the legs to weigh it down...that thing never stood upright that well.

dr_evazan22
10-27-2010, 07:58 AM
I loved their tauntaun, but had to pour cement into the legs to weigh it down...that thing never stood upright that well.

That is funny as s__t!!!! I had only gotten my taun taun to stand upright (with rider) once or twice, and it was on an uneven / sloped surface. It looks pretty good there pictured in the snow.

I think Hasbro 12" peaked with Bossk & IG-88.

The quality on that wave was the most consistent. Bossk is a character that Hasbro / Kenner always got a good likeness on.

I didn't think of it until just now, but I'm (now) hoping that this year SS makes a Dengar to fill out that bounty hunter display. I don't really see that happening, especially since we don't have a snow trooper yet. Our best hope is that they do both this year as part of the anniversary.

DarkArtist
10-27-2010, 10:45 AM
some really awesome pics here..i love seeing how fans display their collections... I'm still trying to finish setting up my space with some displays. hoping to get some time over the weekend to work on it. once everything is set up I'll have to take some pics and post

Blue2th
10-27-2010, 11:31 AM
I'll try to take some more pix with my wife's digital camera...I have a Jedi shelf that has the armored Obi(spun off in realistic style from the micro-cartoon, Kit Fisto, Aayla, KI-adi & Plo Koon. I have Mace but have never opened him. I think Hasbro 12" peaked with Bossk & IG-88. I loved their tauntaun, but had to pour cement into the legs to weigh it down...that thing never stood upright that well.

You already got snow there?
Cement in the legs? Did you pull them off at the joint to pore it in there?
I've got a TaunTaun, but it's the one with Han on it. I thought Luke's had a broken horn but I can't be sure.

Now all you need is a Target 12" Wampa to knock him down and drag him off to the cave. :)

I think all their Rebel Pilots outfits are cool and well done. Bossk basically has a yellow version of a Pilot's outfit.

Tycho
10-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Dr. Evazan, Hasbro did make 12" Dengar. He's in my bounty hunter picture (as is Zuckuss).

Just not all of them could be up in the front with the limited space per shelf inside those detolfs.

But it's cool since from a side view, you see different characters.

Darth Duranium
10-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Wow! Great collection, Tycho! Most impressive, so to speak. :thumbsup:

Jayspawn
11-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Nice collection Tycho! Good use of Hasbro/ Sideshow figures too!

I've had good luck with my Hasbro Tauntauns, I've always been able to get them to stand. The joints are nice and stiff which helps too.

When IKEA opens in town next year, I'll finally be able to give my collection much of the justice it deserves.

sergiurusu
11-07-2010, 05:20 AM
GREAT collections Tycho and Jon. :thumbsup: I like that Hasbro Royal Guard there? I like the Electronic Darth Vader, I used to have one but had to give it to my cousin when he had the car accident. Hasbro really made some cool figures back then. Nice Sandtrooper shelf Jon!!

My small 1:6 figure collection - of course Imperials only ;)

Tycho
11-07-2010, 07:28 AM
I really like those glowing holograms, Serg!

And the custom Gonk!

sergiurusu
11-08-2010, 01:47 AM
I really like those glowing holograms, Serg!

And the custom Gonk!

Thanks. You can do miracles with 2 puck lights and 2 Hasbro 3"3/4 holograms :D

jonthejedi
11-08-2010, 05:39 AM
To coin an overused Vader statement..."most impressive" Serg. I've said before....it's so hard not to have an amassed collection look cluttered, but your set pieces look so nice & themed. I've seen so many pix of basements across the US that look like yard sales about to happen(see attached, that's not my basement but very well could be). Thank the maker for Ikea cases.

Tycho
11-08-2010, 08:54 AM
This is why I make dioramas.

The collection is impressive as a curiosity, but it looks like a warehouse or outlet store.

I use every room in my house (deciding what to display there by a theme) and I severely LIMIT what is displayed.

My bedroom will be all things BLACK or metallic: Coruscant / Star Destroyer / Death Star. I have black bed sheets and dark-colored furniture in there, etc.

There will be two 6 foot long display cases - one each on 2 of the 4 walls. They'll feature the AOTC speeder chase with cutaways into the buildings so you may see Club Outlander and Dexter's Diner (along with the appropriate vehicles hung for "air traffic" - dating back to the 1980's minirigs that fit, as well as Titan A.E.'s Valkyre ship, and other stuff that fits in, and the upcoming Jedi airspeeder from Clone Wars when it comes out, as Anakin and Obi-Wan navigate through the traffic in pursuit of Zam Wessel.

Detolfs on the other walls will have the 12" figures that correspond - which I've already set up and posted the pictures of (above) in this very thread.

The other 6 footer will be Christophis from Clone Wars so I can display that cool Octoparra Droid, some Republic Fighter Tanks, Corporate Alliance Tank Droids, and rows of battle droids versus rows of Rex and Cody's Clones, etc.

This is not set up yet, but give me a couple more months.

Other rooms are going to go down as follows:

LIVING ROOM: Terminator / Transformers toys in pretty big displays.

ENCLOSED PATIO: Prequel "warm-colored worlds" - Tatooine (podrace arena for one), Geonosis, Utopau, and Mustafar.

GUEST ROOM: Darker water worlds (Kamino and Kashyyyk). Dagobah will have to wait, I think.

In 10 years I could possibly sell this stuff and display other things I am holding back on: a white room with Hoth and Coud City, and an OT Tatooine room with the Sarlaac, Sailbarge (hopefully I won't need a custom built one - but you never know), and Mos Eisley. (I displayed these set-ups at my old apartment, so I'm going for something new.)

If I got a larger place with at least 2-3 more rooms, I'd set it all up and never sell anything! For this, I still want to be able to get that 5 bedroom house!

jonthejedi
11-08-2010, 02:58 PM
...boy, do I wish I had that kind of space. My wife let me have the basement...that was that.

sergiurusu
11-09-2010, 05:14 AM
It is really cool to have so much space for display Tycho!!:thumbsup: Wish I had this. I only have this room you seen, plus the PC and CD collection room, where there are a few non-imperials collectibles like Koto Yoda or Koto R2-D2 and C-3PO set, and some Star Trek items. The PC/CD room will also have the upcoming eFX TIE Fighter cabinet, but wish I could have all your display space for sure. :yes:

jonthejedi
11-09-2010, 05:39 AM
...I guess what I have is organized clutter.

Tycho
11-09-2010, 02:17 PM
jonthejedi: I love your Jabba 12" display pic! The Jawa looks great sitting there. :)

I also like your Tatooine set up with the homestead below it. That's the coolest way to set up Star Wars! :thumbsup:

jonthejedi
11-09-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm more of a mint on the card 3.75 collector, but many figs. I really like I get seconds on. I open most of my Sideshow/Hot Toys 12" though. Occassionally, I do attempt a diorama. I have a huge Playmates Star Trek collection...but it's all in storage-just no room for displaying.

Tycho
11-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Oh man! Jon - that one's the greatest!!!

I won't have a space to set up my cantina diorama in my current living quarters.

I had set it up in my old place - long before we had Brainiac, Hem Dazon, and Dice Ebegon for starters.

Your picture is so cool. I'm going to savor that one. Heck - I should make it my desktop screen!

Well done for sure!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

sergiurusu
11-10-2010, 01:51 AM
I also like the Tatooine diorama there! Superb display! It reminds me of my trip to Tunisia.

jonthejedi
11-10-2010, 05:27 AM
Thanx! It looks even better with thise mini-LED spotlights on. I actually bought many of those loose figs. on ebay...my goal was to include every Cantina alien that Hasbro had produced up to the present day. Shockingly...that display was just replaced with Jabba's Court. I have to borrow my wife's digital to get some shots up.

Tycho
11-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Find the room to display both the cantina and Jabba's if you can. They still remain the most original and iconic scenes in all 6 movies!

Was Trinto Duaba in your cantina? I foget. He came with Dice Ebegon, right? So I'd be surprised if you had one and not the other. I also didn't spot Brainiac, but there were a lot of figures. If they weren't in there - the good news is that you'll still have room for expansion. Plus, Bom Vimdim is coming out, along with new Evezan and Ponda Baba (if you're into replacing figures with updates).

I also love Jabba's. Ephant Mon remains my all-time favorite Star Wars figure. But the new Niktos have been great, along with Herme Odel, and so many of the rest. Tessek was an excellent figure from the POTJ era who still holds his own today!

Tycho
10-15-2011, 12:05 AM
I have some more pics to add.

I just got Bly. Very nice indeed!

sergiurusu
10-16-2011, 03:10 AM
Some preview of my current display :)

Tycho
10-16-2011, 03:49 AM
Sergiurusu, you really like stormtroopers or something huh? Are those movie-used prop helmets or something? You bought a lot of them!

I am digging the AT-AT. What version of it is that? I like the way you lit it.

I too collect Terminator stuff. I can't find the Hot Toys T-800 endoskeleton which is what I really want. I have things like the Arnold, Christian, and Sam figues.

jonthejedi
10-17-2011, 05:18 AM
Just a beautiful display all-around Serg...I envy your awesome set-up & share your love of all things Imperial in the Star Wars universe. Like you, I also have some Terminator(and Alien and Predator) mixed in. Alas, I only have one wall that long & it has a shelf, so it homes most of my carded 3.75 SW figs. I wish I could get 2 more Detolf cases from Ikea, but they discontinued them. I have no more room!

sergiurusu
10-17-2011, 07:57 AM
Sergiurusu, you really like stormtroopers or something huh? Are those movie-used prop helmets or something? You bought a lot of them!

I am digging the AT-AT. What version of it is that? I like the way you lit it.

I too collect Terminator stuff. I can't find the Hot Toys T-800 endoskeleton which is what I really want. I have things like the Arnold, Christian, and Sam figues.

My collecting focus are Original Trilogy Imperials, I think that could explain a few things ;) Most of my Stormtrooper helmets come from original screen used molds. The AT-AT is Master Replicas signature version. As for Terminators I only collect Endoskeletons from T1 and T2, so no Arnie or T-1000 for me. The HT Endo worth a small fortune right now, I have both variants (regular and battle damaged) and got them at retail prices long ago. I also got the Aoshima metal Endo which is cool too - though not as cool as the HT versions.

Just a beautiful display all-around Serg...I envy your awesome set-up & share your love of all things Imperial in the Star Wars universe. Like you, I also have some Terminator(and Alien and Predator) mixed in. Alas, I only have one wall that long & it has a shelf, so it homes most of my carded 3.75 SW figs. I wish I could get 2 more Detolf cases from Ikea, but they discontinued them. I have no more room!

Thanks Jon! :) Terminator, Predator and Aliens are also really cool lines to collect. In the Alien sector I only have the small Action Fleet ships, i passed on the HT Alien figures due to their problems. But really need to get a good 1:6 Alien one day. Which would you recommend?

Tycho
12-29-2011, 08:01 PM
257042570525706257012570225703[Here's some more of my stuff.

Everything you see in these pictures are Hasbro figures, with the exception of a SideShow Obi-Wan Kenobi cloak hanging on the Hasbro Obi-Wan Kenobi electronic figure (makes him actually look decent, huh?)