PDA

View Full Version : The Force Unleashed II is out

JediTricks
10-27-2010, 03:53 PM
I got mine from Amazon, $60 with $10 off another game purchase and 2 exclusive challenge levels.

I started playing it last night. In many ways, it looks very good, but there is something hollow about it, and the new droid and vehicle designs so far are not fitting in well. I am hoping adding more characters to the story will help things, but so far, it feels like a slicker game but less soul than the first.

El Chuxter
10-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Saw it at Costco for $42. They also had a two-pack of licensed Vader lightsaber attachments for the WiiMote.

JediTricks
10-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Costco for $42, was it the Wii version? I would guess so, since Wii games are $10 less than PS3/Xbox360 since they are lesser ports.

El Chuxter
10-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Ah, yeah, I forgot. The Wii version it is.

Sadly, I've not seen GH6 there, at least not the game-only edition. I'd consider getting it at their prices even before the inevitable markdown, since current copies include the new Soundgarden GH album (with a new track or two).

nohagent
10-27-2010, 04:39 PM
I have gaves stacked high that I have not been able to catch up on for 2-3 years now, PC WII PS3. Last xmas I received force unleashed 1 from my ex-wife. So strange because she hates me, of course she reminded me that she hated me by also giving me the DVD Titanic as statement "this is the first movie we saw together and now I am giving it back to you" This is not interpretation, she said this. What a polarized set of XMAS gifts. Of course this is the same kind of polarized behavior that led to driving me nuts and the divorce.

JimJamBonds
10-27-2010, 09:18 PM
...ut so far, it feels like a Slicker game but less soul than the first.

What's wrong with the games that Slicker plays??? :D

El Chuxter
10-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Slicker plays games after using the bathroom and not washing his hands. Number two, even. And he uses really cheap toilet paper.

Darth Metalmute
10-28-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm only throught the first level. I was very dissapointed with the opening cut-scene as it didn't explain that much. Hopefully, things will get explained later down the line.

The graphics are far superior to the first game, and pretty much every game I have played. The faces looks real this time. My only complaint is the coloring on Vaders helmet lacks realism.

I love the new gameplay features. Completely crushing a TIE fighter is awesome. I don't like that they are hard to throw in the direction you want. I was trying to crush a baricade of troopers with a TIE but either I would completely crush it by the time I was able to aim it, or it would fly off towards another TIE.

My three year old daughter was watching when I was playing. She knew that because of the red lightsaber that my guy was bad so she was yelling at the stormtroopers for them to shoot me. But then again, she likes stormies.

jonthejedi
10-29-2010, 03:55 AM
Wait till you meet that freakin' Gorog! Just finished Cato Neimodia level...seems like it went on forever.

autumnsdescent
10-29-2010, 07:13 AM
It is a very short game. I bought it Tuesday and had beaten the light side ending in under 4 hours of play by Wednesday.

I've unlocked about 75% of all the bonus content. Will play it through again with the dark side ending to get the rest of it.

I agree the graphics are nicer. The story doesn't have near the complexity or captivation as the original game. And the ending leaves a lot of questions... ripe for the Force Unleashed III (which I thought they said they would not make?).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-30-2010, 05:18 PM
I picked it up today at TRU, getting a free $10 gift card in the process. I'd like to take a crack at it today or tomorrow.

Darth Metalmute
10-31-2010, 08:55 PM
It is a very short game. I bought it Tuesday and had beaten the light side ending in under 4 hours of play by Wednesday.

I very disappointed with the length of this game. I'm on the second to last level and maybe have spent 5 hours on it. 9 levels with one being the Dagobah level that takes 5 minutes....

This game should have been sold as a 25 dollar add-on.

Other than that, it is a visually stunning game.

Darth Metalmute
10-31-2010, 10:33 PM
I agree the graphics are nicer. The story doesn't have near the complexity or captivation as the original game. And the ending leaves a lot of questions... ripe for the Force Unleashed III (which I thought they said they would not make?).

Just finished it. Yeah, there cannot, not be a TFU3. They probably should have left it with one, and used the engine for another story line.

El Chuxter
11-01-2010, 12:28 PM
I've heard you can pilot a Cruisemissile in this game. Is this true? If so, I'm going to run out right now and buy this game. I'll even buy an XBox and PS3 so I can play it on those platforms as well.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-02-2010, 01:12 AM
I was finally able to play this a little bit. I got through the Kamino level, and holy damn, this game is awesome. I loved the part where Starkiller falls down and you have to push stuff out of the way, and how you can pull TIE Fighters out of the sky. Cool stuff.

DarkArtist
11-02-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm hoping to get this for my birthday this week. i want the game for PS3, Wii and PSP. hopefully one fo those platforms will find it's way to me Thursaday!!!! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
11-03-2010, 03:02 AM
I got this game a week ago, but due to a family situation, I've only been playing it for a few minutes here and there to try to relax and remove myself from troubles. Unfortunately, the excitement and devotion I had coming off the first game was entirely wasted here, TFU2 ends up being a junk game moneygrab that greatly lacks the powerful vision this time around that the original so well enjoyed.

TFU2 is extremely short, disappointingly so, relying on extra challenges to pad the play a la Batman:Arkham Asylum. But B:AA is not only an amazing game, it took an extremely long time to finish the main game so the challenges felt like a worthy add-on, and the challenges there are clever and interesting, where TFU2 none of that is the case. The challenges are ok once you've already leveled up, but ironically they're meant to TRAIN you for the game, so they're meant to be played in-canon before you level up, when they're downright miserable and occasionally vague.

The game has just 3 levels really: Kamino, Cato Neimoidia, the Rebel frigate, the latter 2 get extended to the point of boredom, while the former gets repeated at the end. And annoyingly, the enemies are EXACTLY THE SAME ON EVERY LEVEL!!! TFU1 went to lots of different locales, and had a massive variety of regular grunts to kill on every level, different species with different behaviors. And those different locales were incredibly varied, and even when they repeated a concept (which I believe in that game every level did) there was something fresh and new to it.

The enemies are largely bland and not Star Warsy, I think of all of them, the only one that seemed at all interesting was the Imperial Riot Trooper. The new vehicles look entirely out of place in the SW universe (except for the Lobot-headgear-wearing-AT-STs, which is just lazy), and the droids are even worse, they don't look like they come from anywhere. Terror Troopers are ludicrous, exploiting a brainless video game mechanic as their MAIN gimmick - teleporting and invisibility. When Maris Brood did it in TFU1, they at least had her just go invisible and logically you could still follow it and make sense to counter, but with the Terror Troopers it's just blinking around the map. And they're not even hard to beat once you figure out their cheapness - every new baddie is like that really, can't use the Force, can't use a lightsaber, must spin and lightning them. It's hardly epic when it feels like a lazy videogame where the designers can only throw *more* at you to make it hard rather than think a way through. And oh man, the quick-time minigames this time around are such a disappointment in execution and finishing moves that it's not worth the player's time to hit "X" to begin them unless you're forced to. Even Vader's overdrawn battle at the end is repetitious and lacks all the spontaneity and drama of the first game's end-boss battle - it just ends arbitrarily, Darth Vader should not be relegated to a bland mess like this.

The game looks great, it really does, but the mechanics engine feels less organic than the first game - lightning always does the same arcing, Force-push always looks and acts the same, lightsaber moves become rhythmic, etc.. And there's so much architectural repetition without adding enough new twists that it just gets old. Also, the idea to switch arbitrarily in cut-scenes from in-game models to pre-rendered material is a bad idea because the pre-rendered stuff looks SO much better than the in-game stuff that it becomes distracting and disappointing to go back to it. The play feels like barely an advance over the first game, really not adding anywhere near enough powers or moves (and removing or neutering some moves from the first game), and what little is added - double lightsabers, Force furty - feels out of place for a SW game, and suffers from wanting so badly to be Sony's God of War (to which it falls well short). The ability to dismember enemies in my eyes felt more like a subtraction than an addition, realistic it purports to be, but it takes me even further out of the Star Wars universe seeing all these body parts flying around, it's distractingly gruesome and awkward. My favorite technical elements from the first game, DMM and Euphoria, claim to be back in the opening splashes, but you sure wouldn't know it from playing the game - there's even less DMM this time around so less stuff that breaks and bends naturally (and what DMM is there is FAR worse-looking than the first game's), and the Euphoria AI seems to have been entirely switched off with all the repetitive behavior of lesser enemies. I miss stormtroopers clearly making unique decisions, now they just feel like idiots who attack blindly, run into lightsabers, and walk into moving fans occasionally for no reason.

The music is also a depressing mishmash of saga, TFU1, and a little new stuff that feels derivative yet underwhelming. Sound effects are also a bit lazy and plain, some are from the library, some are just whatever, but stuff like the ridiculously over-the-top Gorog are given the most generic, underwhelming sound work I've seen in any modern game from Lucasarts, there's no weight to that thing at all. The voice work is ok, although it's mainly just the 4 leads from the original (and nowhere near enough time with Proxy), Vader (whom without the Emperor's machinations is fairly dull and direct) and a lot of Stormtrooper chatter - doesn't make for inspiring storytelling. And how annoying is it that Leia's cameo is voiced here by the actress who voices Padme on Clone Wars, and she's doing her regular Padme voice instead of anything approaching Leia?

The game's biggest sin though has to be its failure to develop a compelling story or new characters worth caring about. The story is vague and loses steam VERY quickly, with little to no motivation moving the character forward after just the first level. Once Starkiller is free, he just wants to hang out with his buddies from the first game again, and... that's it. He's out to track down Juno, who finds herself captured and unable to add anything to the story beyond flashes so Starkiller ends up talking to Kota the whole time, who just tries to manipulate him almost as badly as Vader has been - Vader at least is right, Starkiller's attachment to Juno makes him a slave to Vader, while Kota keeps claiming that nobody can clone a Jedi and thus this boy is the original seems to be entirely wrong. Basically, it's Starkiller leaves Kamino, finds Kota, goes to where Juno is. There's no twists, no traps within traps, nothing cleverly plays on the audience's expectations, nothing to show a Sith ingenuity. The ending is left open-ended for Star Wars fans to expect a third game, though considering the lackluster story and overall game experience here, seems unlikely to occur.

Well, I've spent the last half hour talking about TFU2, and unlike the last game, that's the most time I've spent thinking about it. This shouldn't have existed at all if they were going to be this lazy, it's technically too much for DLC but it's not good enough even for a rental, it should have been scrapped or held back another year to get it right instead of wasting efforts on a lackluster game that hurts the entire SW video game universe.

Darth Metalmute
11-03-2010, 01:06 PM
MY big problem in this whole series is, Vader is supposed to be this bad mo-fo. Yet he has now been beaten twice soundly by Starkiller. If Vader can find a jedi that can beat him, why can't Yoda before training Luke?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-05-2010, 01:48 AM
I just finished. Clearly they're setting up TFUIII, which could have been more interesting if there was more stuff in this game. I mean, the first one was around the same length in terms of gameplay, if I recall, but there was a ton more places to see and new characters to meet, not to mention actual bad-guy bosses apart from that somewhat uninspiring Baron from Cato Neimoidia who does nothing but talk and get eaten. PROXY comes back for no real reason and doesn't do anything.

It seems like the story had a lot of good ideas but didn't really flesh many of them out. Hopefully Boba Fett will get more than a 15-second cameo next time. Oh, and the Yoda stuff didn't really work too well for me, either. I'm glad they didn't try to explain the cave but it still felt somewhat forced (zing!). There weren't any huge revelations like the formation of the Rebel Alliance from TFUI, so that was somewhat disappointing.

I agree that the enemies get repetitive; I was wondering why, for instance, there were no EVO Troopers this time around even though we got Jumptroopers.

That said, it's a reasonably enjoyable game. I played TFUI on the PS2 and this one on Xbox 360, so the visual/gameplay differences were pretty staggering so maybe I'm relying too heavily on that aspect, though as JT said, it really does look damn great.

And how annoying is it that Leia's cameo is voiced here by the actress who voices Padme on Clone Wars, and she's doing her regular Padme voice instead of anything approaching Leia?
Cat Taber played Leia in the first game too, and they said it was for mother-daughter continuity between the show and game. But there it worked better since she appeared a few years younger, so while it wasn't a match it was more forgivable than here. It almost sounded like they tried to do some pitch change or something but it didn't work.

JediTricks
11-05-2010, 02:45 AM
TFU1-

Kashyyyk as Vader
Imperial TIE Fighter factory
Raxus Prime
Felucia
Star Destroyer
Bespin
Kashyyyk 2
Felucia 2
Raxus Prime 2
Death Star

TFU2-

Kamino
Cato Neimoidia
Rebel Starship
Kamino 2

Cat Taber played Leia in the first game too, and they said it was for mother-daughter continuity between the show and game. But there it worked better since she appeared a few years younger, so while it wasn't a match it was more forgivable than here. It almost sounded like they tried to do some pitch change or something but it didn't work. Here, it sounded just like Padme, same cadences and everything. In TFU1, it really didn't sound like her, it sounded more like a young Leia. IMO, the director on this game was just inexperienced and let her do whatever, or didn't know any better.

Darth Metalmute
11-05-2010, 08:48 AM
It seems like they threw this out so fast, as if wanting to get to the next game. It reminds me of Pirates of the Carribean 2. That movie sucked. But you couldn't have had the much more enjoyable third movie without it.

TFU 1 seemed like it was delayed forever, yet was still released with glitches. This one seems perfectly done, with no story. Maybe they need to concentrate of something in the middle.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-16-2010, 01:54 PM
So, the DLC has Starkiller going to Endor. Someone posted a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5wCzrk5q2o) of some of the fights from the level. It seems . . . sacreligious, to say the least. At least Luke and Obi-Wan put up a fight in the TFUI DLC. Yes, I know it's just a video game featuring fictional characters, and doesn't even impact the canon, but this literally makes me feel uneasy watching it.

Darth Metalmute
12-16-2010, 02:06 PM
So, the DLC has Starkiller going to Endor. Someone posted a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5wCzrk5q2o) of some of the fights from the level. It seems . . . sacreligious, to say the least. At least Luke and Obi-Wan put up a fight in the TFUI DLC. Yes, I know it's just a video game featuring fictional characters, and doesn't even impact the canon, but this literally makes me feel uneasy watching it.

Can we kill Ewoks? That would make it all worth while.

I find it weird that this follows Luke falling on Hoth. Starkiller was more machine that man in that one.
Yet here, he is fully refurbished. I can't wait for the DLC with Vader and Starkiller taking down the Emperor. The Ultimate ending would be if the Emperor still wins.

Mvader91
12-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Can we kill Ewoks? That would make it all worth while.

I find it weird that this follows Luke falling on Hoth. Starkiller was more machine that man in that one.
Yet here, he is fully refurbished. I can't wait for the DLC with Vader and Starkiller taking down the Emperor. The Ultimate ending would be if the Emperor still wins.
:thumbsup:As a matter of fact u can!! Pretty cool level beat it in about 40 minutes! Some really cool turns you wouldn't expect!

El Chuxter
12-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Anything that involves killing Ewoks should be rated "N" as in "No one should play this." :)

JediTricks
12-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Well, I dropped 99 cents on it and am downloading right now, but I don't have a lot of faith that it's going to greatly improve upon the game. Conceptually it's dubious and the fact that it's merely a buck suggests slapdashery.

There's also a character pack, adding more skins, also a buck. I am torn between the cheap price and the fact that I don't really want to play the game again.

Darth Metalmute
12-16-2010, 07:08 PM
i picked them both up but have yet to play them. I have to find where I buried the disc in the backyard.

Darth Metalmute
12-18-2010, 11:20 PM
I loved the Endor level. great addition to the game for a buck. Plus I picked up the costume extra and beat it with ole fish face. It's a Trap!

My only problem is you have to beat the level over again to see the extra cut scenes more than once. I was hoping they would have been in the extras menu.

I would really like the developer to tackle a Mara Jade storyline or the Zahn trilogy. I think the last boss of that game would be cool to fight without Force powers.

DarkArtist
01-11-2011, 01:19 PM
I loved the Endor level. great addition to the game for a buck. Plus I picked up the costume extra and beat it with ole fish face. It's a Trap!

My only problem is you have to beat the level over again to see the extra cut scenes more than once. I was hoping they would have been in the extras menu.

I would really like the developer to tackle a Mara Jade storyline or the Zahn trilogy. I think the last boss of that game would be cool to fight without Force powers.

got the game for Christmas and love it. true it is not as good as the first but still a cool game all in all. I also downloaded the Endor bonus mission but quick question do you have to beat the game first in order to play the level or is it something that you can click on and play anytime. I'm on the last level of the game now about to face Vader so I'm looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

JediTricks
01-11-2011, 04:49 PM
I am not sure if you have to beat the game or not, but I do know that you don't have to beat the game via the Dark Side ending to play it. My experience is that you don't have to beat the game to play Endor, you can just choose it as a new game, but I had beaten the game with the Light Side ending at that point.

DarkArtist
01-12-2011, 10:50 AM
I am not sure if you have to beat the game or not, but I do know that you don't have to beat the game via the Dark Side ending to play it. My experience is that you don't have to beat the game to play Endor, you can just choose it as a new game, but I had beaten the game with the Light Side ending at that point.

just beat it last night with the light side ending so I'll have to see if I start a new game if I can play the Endor level. going to try to beat it again tonight and choose the darkside ending to see how it looks.:thumbsup:

DarkArtist
01-14-2011, 02:42 PM
just beat it last night with the light side ending so I'll have to see if I start a new game if I can play the Endor level. going to try to beat it again tonight and choose the darkside ending to see how it looks.:thumbsup:

replayed the last level again last night and choose the Dark Side ending.. I think i prefer the lightside ending more. still great game... hoping to tackle the Endor mission tomorrow or Sunday since I have to work Job 2 tonight.