PDA

View Full Version : SSG's Monthly Hasbro Q&A - October 28th

JediTricks
10-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Does Lando get an update, and are some more obscure prequel senators going to get made? Find out in Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for October 28th, 2010.

Thanks again to Hasbro for the answers, to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who voted on them.

Hasbro Q&A for the week of October 28th, 2010
SSG: Back in October of '07, we asked you about upgrading the VOTC Lando down the road with ball-hinge elbows and a removable cape that properly drapes over his shoulders (the existing design is neither removable nor does it fit him properly the way it does in the film). Your response was "Great suggestion - we will look at that for a possible future Lando upgrade." In the following 3 years though, no new Lando Cloud City figure was produced so none of these upgrades were used. Lando is a fairly iconic and beloved Star Wars character, the scenes he wears this costume are some his most notable scenes and his only action scenes in ESB, so he needs more flexibility in how he can be displayed. So, what are the chances that we could get a new Lando Cloud City figure with those upgrades in the foreseeable future?
Hasbro: The Lando coming in the Target exclusives Vintage 9-pack is the same one that was previously released in Vintage. We did not have time to do anything new to him when the set was requested....it was all-hands on deck to make it to the shelf in time for Target's needs this year. We do have at least one new Lando coming next year, but the Cloud City figure will not be updated. We should be getting out news on the next Lando sometime in December.

SSG: The prequels have introduced a number of new alien species to the Star Wars universe, and Hasbro has been good about making figures of most of them. Aside from pod race pilots which have already been discussed with Hasbro, there are several other visually interesting alien species that Hasbro hasn't yet added to the lineup including Roonan, Sarrish, Zeuolin, Holwuff, Tarnab and Sy Myrthian. While these are admittedly background stuff and mostly represented as senators in the films, as action figures they would add another dimension of unique aliens to the line. Can you tell us if any of these species will find their way into the lineup in the foreseeable future?
Hasbro: As cool as they are, without any really recognizable moments in the films we're unlikely to get to these.

- -

And our questions at ActionFigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=61&p2_articleid=4509):

- The recent update to Hoth Leia has taken off, it seems to be moving off TVC pegs, and fans appreciate how good a figure it is with sculpting and articulation working together so well for such a classic Leia outfit. With that in mind, ESB offers 2 more Leia outfits that need similar treatment, the Bespin Gown outfit and the Bespin Escape outfit. The last Bespin Escape Leia, which is one of the character's signature action sequences in the saga, was back in the POTJ line in 2001, and was limited in articulation so to be stuck in an action pose. The last Bespin Gown Leia had very little articulation and even less usable, leaving it a statue. What are the chances that we could get modern-quality updates to these 2 iconic ESB Leia outfits?
- Despite several denied fan requests for an update of her "classic" look in the basic line, as well as a flat out "not happening" for the somewhat necessary inclusion in the Galactic Heroes line (considering we have the other two in the classic trio) some fans are getting the idea that Hasbro has something against Sy Snootles. Does she rank up there with Ben Quadinaros, Jaxxon, and Jocasta Nu as being too far out there, or are those fans just reading too much into your lack of movement on this? Has Lucasfilm had any role in your decision not to pursue anything representing the classic puppet, or is there hope that we can convince Hasbro to change their stance? Now that the Vintage line is back this would be a perfect opportunity to get this classic alien into the hands of collectors, even if not as a basic figure but an exclusive. Consider that the existing Sy Snootles figure has some of the most useless articulation ever, its pose is incredibly awkward, and its paint is the only one of the band to be so inaccurate. We're not even asking for Max Rebo's instrument to be corrected with the horn on top, just a better Sy Snootles. Shouldn't the frontman of the band get the best figure instead of the worst?

bigbarada
10-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Roonan, Sarrish, Zeuolin, Holwuff, Tarnab and Sy Myrthian.

Wow, I've been a Star Wars fan for 33 of my 37 years on this earth and I don't recognize a single one of these names. The only surprise about Hasbro's response is that it's as wordy as it is.

Cool news about Lando. I'm hoping for an update of his Skiff Guard outfit, but would be pretty happy with a better version of General Lando as well.

The response about Sy Snootles doesn't really surprise me, neither does Hasbro's general lack of enthusiasm for the Rebo Band. Thinking back to the vintage days, I recall seeing Kenner's Rebo Band sets rotting on shelves, at clearance prices, well into 1986. So, I don't have a hard time believing that the band has just never done well at retail.

Is it just me or did Hasbro all but confirm that the new Leia next year is going to be the Bespin Gown version? Maybe I'm just reading too much into their answer.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Not exactly a ton of stunning insight this round, from any website. Speed of Light got confirmation that they're holding back most TPM figures next year until the 3-D release in 2012, which makes sense. (I'm pretty jazzed about the prospect of a vintage-carded Darth Maul, so hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later.)

A few sites got confirmation on a Clone Cadets-themed battle pack, but said it won't include members of Domino Squad; they also said that 99 isn't coming, but Commander Colt will be released on a basic card. I wonder what other characters they could include, then? El-Les? Maybe they're talking about the two-parter as a whole.

As for Lando, I'd prefer a General version with a soft-goods cape so he can sit in the Falcon. The skiff guard version still holds up really well even with its slightly limited articulation. We do still need the Endor version, though.

Jedi Knight Luke is going to get a running change to a more-accurate Endor Capture name and photo, which is cool. There will also be another ROTJ Luke next year - a Blu-ray deleted scene version, perhaps?

bigbarada
10-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Jedi Knight Luke is going to get a running change to a more-accurate Endor Capture name and photo, which is cool. There will also be another ROTJ Luke next year - a Blu-ray deleted scene version, perhaps?

That's good news, it means I can hold off on buying a MOC version of the figure until they get the card fixed.

El Chuxter
10-29-2010, 05:27 PM
It's funny that they're going for the vintage style on the cards, but are still doing scene-specific figures. As I recall, there was only one version of each character or distinct outfit from 1978-198whenever.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-29-2010, 05:35 PM
It's funny that they're going for the vintage style on the cards, but are still doing scene-specific figures. As I recall, there was only one version of each character or distinct outfit from 1978-198whenever.
Well, the Jabba's palace and Endor/DSII costumes are completely different, so I wouldn't necessarily call them "scene-specific."

El Chuxter
10-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Yeah, but the vintage line (the actual "vintage one :p) stuck with simplicity. There was only one "Luke Skywalker in black" figure for the entire movie. Going more scene-specific than the original vintage line would've been, to me, undermines the point of trying to make them look like vintage cards.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-29-2010, 08:09 PM
So you'd rather they put these sorts of figures on hold until the vintage line is done, or what?

bigbarada
10-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Yeah, but the vintage line (the actual "vintage one :p) stuck with simplicity. There was only one "Luke Skywalker in black" figure for the entire movie. Going more scene-specific than the original vintage line would've been, to me, undermines the point of trying to make them look like vintage cards.

It's still a modern action figure line for all intents and purposes. The vintage cards are for aesthetic purposes only.

I'm not interested in the Luke or Han figures in and of themselves, however, if they are put on Star Wars cards with NEW, more scene specific reference images, then I might pick them up. If they just use the same 1978 reference images from the vintage line (that we also got in the 1st wave of VOTC in 2004), then these are almost definitely a pass for me.

Cane_Adiss
11-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Boo! Both of my questions got shot down in flames!

I'm suprised they still won't consider Sy Snootles. Even as a mail in or something? They must see by now that there is demand!

And the alien question was a real bummer too considering some of my most desired figures fall into those species. Hopefully when ROTS hits theaters again some of these aliens will be considered.

JediTricks
11-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Going through the other sites' questions right now.

Big vehicle for Clone Wars next year, but sub-$100. What could it be? Republic Attack Shuttle would be nice, it's still featured a lot on the show, even if it's rarely excitingly-used anymore.

There will be a Geonosian on speeder next year? That's interesting, is it going to be just the same Dooku speeder, or do they get something new?

I didn't realize the AT-AT's electronics are different in Europe for the language barrier. That's an interesting variation, I wonder if it'll get collected as such. And is it the case with the AT-TE, Falcon, and Turbo Tank as well?

Ok, 2 hours into the job, the questions from other sites are posted:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=2676

Wow, I've been a Star Wars fan for 33 of my 37 years on this earth and I don't recognize a single one of these names. The only surprise about Hasbro's response is that it's as wordy as it is.I feel roughly the same.

Cool news about Lando. I'm hoping for an update of his Skiff Guard outfit, but would be pretty happy with a better version of General Lando as well. I'd prefer General Lando, the Skiff figure we have is fairly competent. If they do update Skiff instead, I would hope they include the sandstorm accessories as well. The timing would be right.

The response about Sy Snootles doesn't really surprise me, neither does Hasbro's general lack of enthusiasm for the Rebo Band. Thinking back to the vintage days, I recall seeing Kenner's Rebo Band sets rotting on shelves, at clearance prices, well into 1986. So, I don't have a hard time believing that the band has just never done well at retail.True enough, the originals did indeed hid liquidators like Pic-n-Sav.

Is it just me or did Hasbro all but confirm that the new Leia next year is going to be the Bespin Gown version? Maybe I'm just reading too much into their answer.They didn't confirm it, but they made it sound like either next year or the year after, there are 2 Bespin Leias in the question and they said the next few years so it could be 1 next year and 1 the year after.

As for Lando, I'd prefer a General version with a soft-goods cape so he can sit in the Falcon. The skiff guard version still holds up really well even with its slightly limited articulation. We do still need the Endor version, though.I just checked the film, Lando doesn't wear the cape in the Falcon. And the Endor costume is the General costume with the outer tunic opened, I'm not sure that's important enough to warrant another figure.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Big vehicle for Clone Wars next year, but sub-$100. What could it be? Republic Attack Shuttle would be nice, it's still featured a lot on the show, even if it's rarely excitingly-used anymore.
Their cryptic answer to a question I had at CV leads me to possibly hope for a Sail Barge. Let's start that rumor, eh? When I asked what it would take to get a Sail Barge, I asked about it being featured heavily in several episodes of the Clone Wars, and they said something like, "one or two wouldn't hurt."

The Attack Shuttle doesn't do much and I don't know how much of an interesting/fun toy it would be, but that's definitely a possibility.

There will be a Geonosian on speeder next year? That's interesting, is it going to be just the same Dooku speeder, or do they get something new?

In Landing At Point Rain, they ride the Dooku-style speeder, so I assume it's that.

I don't recognize many of the alien names, either. So few of them are even visible in the film. I'd say that Rogwa Wodrata stands the highest chance, as all the other Separatist Council members have been made (aside from of the aides).

I just checked the film, Lando doesn't wear the cape in the Falcon. And the Endor costume is the General costume with the outer tunic opened, I'm not sure that's important enough to warrant another figure.
Interesting; I thought the Endor outfit was different. But if we can get open-jacket Hoth Han then I don't think this is too far out of the question. :p

The 2004 General Lando has a long neck, is looking up, and doesn't have knee articulation, which all adds up to him looking weird in the Falcon. Not that I'll be posing him in there forever or anything, but that sort of compatibility is nice to have.

El Chuxter
11-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Maybe we could springboard off the blurrg question (I forget what site asked it) about the possibility, should it get made, that it might be re-released with a Marauder figure. After all, we do have Teek, and he's a little lonely.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-01-2010, 10:32 PM
The blurrg itself is extremely unlikely, I think, even in spite of what Hasbro said. They were in the Ryloth trilogy at the end of Season One and in a recent episode that took place before those, but they were only ever ridden by Twi'lek freedom fighters, not clones. Even with all the timeline-hopping I can't imagine going to Ryloth too many more times.

Rogue II
11-02-2010, 12:03 AM
Another site asked about Blue Snaggletooth, which coverd my non-question from last week.

Q2) If, according to (Lucas/fandom and the Kenner figure) Blue Snaggletooth is Zutton, the "twin" of Teekel (the red Snaggletooth in the "Cantina Denizens" cinemapack), then why was the Blue Snaggletooth in the K-mart exclusive made from a Geezum (Hasbro red Snaggletooth) figure? That said, will we ever get a "proper" Blue garbed metal booted Zutton Snaggletooth?
A2) The red snaggletooth was used because the tooling was the best route to getting a blue snaggletooth. We do think that sometime in the next few years an updated blue one will make it into the line, but it would still be several years away if we decided to slot it in.
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/hasbro-star-wars-qa-answers-for-october-2010

El Chuxter
11-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Would it be racist if they'd answered, "All Snivvians look alike to us"?

Because, really, they do.

Rogue II
11-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Would it be racist if they'd answered, "All Snivvians look alike to us"?

Because, really, they do.

Yes. Now go sign yourself up for a a sensitivity training class.:whip:

JediTricks
11-03-2010, 03:24 AM
Their cryptic answer to a question I had at CV leads me to possibly hope for a Sail Barge. Let's start that rumor, eh? When I asked what it would take to get a Sail Barge, I asked about it being featured heavily in several episodes of the Clone Wars, and they said something like, "one or two wouldn't hurt."1) That would not be a "Clone Wars" vehicle.

2) That would not be a sub-$100 vehicle, look at how expensive the CW Y-wing and latest Republic Gunship were and compare that size to the AT-TE.

3) I think you're reaching, Hasbro's told us many times that it would have to DO more on the show than just float.

The Attack Shuttle doesn't do much and I don't know how much of an interesting/fun toy it would be, but that's definitely a possibility.They made the Clone Swamp Speeder, and it's just 2 recliners with an air conditioner in between. The Attack Shuttle has guns and fold-up wings and a nose that holds numerous heroes and has been seen dozens of times, that's a recipe for success.

In Landing At Point Rain, they ride the Dooku-style speeder, so I assume it's that.Ok, yeah, I remember now, then I'm not buying that set. That bike needs a refresh, it's so boring.

Interesting; I thought the Endor outfit was different. I'll attach screengrabs of Lando in the Falcon not wearing the cape but showing the brown short-sleeved tunic over a beige shirt, and then a shot from the end of the film in the same tunic open.

23819 | 23818

But if we can get open-jacket Hoth Han then I don't think this is too far out of the question. :pMay as well be asking for a bandaged Leia while you're at it. I expect neither.

The 2004 General Lando has a long neck, is looking up, and doesn't have knee articulation, which all adds up to him looking weird in the Falcon. Not that I'll be posing him in there forever or anything, but that sort of compatibility is nice to have.Well, Hasbro did say a new Falcon-co-pilot Nien Nunb is likely in the next few years, that'd go along with it nicely.

Maybe we could springboard off the blurrg question (I forget what site asked it) about the possibility, should it get made, that it might be re-released with a Marauder figure. After all, we do have Teek, and he's a little lonely.In the immortal words of Geoff Peterson: "No."

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-03-2010, 12:53 PM
1) That would not be a "Clone Wars" vehicle.
If it appears in The Clone Wars, then yes it would be.

2) That would not be a sub-$100 vehicle, look at how expensive the CW Y-wing and latest Republic Gunship were and compare that size to the AT-TE.
And they seem to have realized that those prices were ridiculous given how we haven't seen anything like that this year in terms of disproportional cost (aside maybe from the Slave I set, but I think the added stuff helped offset the price a lot). The AT-AT is only $100. I don't think the Sail Barge would need electronics or many (or any) moving parts like the AT-AT or AT-TE; it could basically be a shell with a lot of empty space and some random play features. If they keep it around the size of the Turbo Tank but remove a lot of the features then I think it could work in the $75+ range.

3) I think you're reaching, Hasbro's told us many times that it would have to DO more on the show than just float.
Maybe in the Q&A, but again, in-person they seemed like it wasn't completely out of the question.

I don't know how much to read into what they were saying, either in-person or here. It's very likely not the Sail Barge coming next year, but all I'm saying is that it's not 100% out of the question, either.

They made the Clone Swamp Speeder, and it's just 2 recliners with an air conditioner in between. The Attack Shuttle has guns and fold-up wings and a nose that holds numerous heroes and has been seen dozens of times, that's a recipe for success.
Yeah, but a $25 has vastly different risks and realities than a $75-$150 vehicle, so I'm not sure it's fair to compare the two. Maybe I'm just not seeing how the Attack Shuttle would be different toy-wise from the Imperial Shuttle, which to me looks very cool but is not very exciting at all.

JediTricks
11-04-2010, 04:27 PM
If it appears in The Clone Wars, then yes it would be.Not really, only if it's significant or notably different in The Clone Wars do they consider it a CW vehicle.

And they seem to have realized that those prices were ridiculous given how we haven't seen anything like that this year in terms of disproportional cost (aside maybe from the Slave I set, but I think the added stuff helped offset the price a lot). The AT-AT is only $100. I don't think the Sail Barge would need electronics or many (or any) moving parts like the AT-AT or AT-TE; it could basically be a shell with a lot of empty space and some random play features. If they keep it around the size of the Turbo Tank but remove a lot of the features then I think it could work in the $75+ range.So, basically it'd be a hollow vehicle that does nothing and isn't exciting or recognizable and doesn't have big enticing features to entice casual consumers - yeah, that's likely to get made. :p

You have some cart-before-horse thinking there.

Also, I'd point out that a Sail Barge the size of the AT-TE would be pretty small inside, a third of the interior would be taken up by Jabba alone. Then again, it'd fit well with the cramped skiff, I guess.

Maybe in the Q&A, but again, in-person they seemed like it wasn't completely out of the question.

I don't know how much to read into what they were saying, either in-person or here. It's very likely not the Sail Barge coming next year, but all I'm saying is that it's not 100% out of the question, either.I have talked to them in person about the sail barge 4 years in a row at these conventions, even off the record, and it's right on topic. Their Q&A answer was the warmest I've read, and it's still pretty unlikely. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really don't think getting one's hopes up about this is a good idea, it's going out on a limb and if it doesn't come true then it's a big disappointment.

Yeah, but a $25 has vastly different risks and realities than a $75-$150 vehicle, so I'm not sure it's fair to compare the two. Maybe I'm just not seeing how the Attack Shuttle would be different toy-wise from the Imperial Shuttle, which to me looks very cool but is not very exciting at all.The Imp Shuttle sucks at holding figures, that's its biggest flaw right off the bat: It's a crap play experience. But look at the Republic Gunship, all it does is hold figures and it's awesome.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-04-2010, 05:56 PM
They considered the Turbo Tank a Clone Wars vehicle, and that's only been in one episode and actully did less than it did in ROTS. I realize I'm splitting hairs but I have free time so what the hey. :p

So, basically it'd be a hollow vehicle that does nothing and isn't exciting or recognizable and doesn't have big enticing features to entice casual consumers - yeah, that's likely to get made. :p
Do you have the new Slave I? That's basically hollow, with no electronics and only two missiles (one of which I already lost, dammit) and two charges that kind of fall limply out the back. Slave I might have more recognizability than the Sail Barge, and they packed it with all kinds of peripheral goodness to entice buyers, but the fact remains that the ship itself doesn't do a whole hell of a lot (both as a toy and as a pre-2002 movie vehicle).

The Imp Shuttle sucks at holding figures, that's its biggest flaw right off the bat: It's a crap play experience. But look at the Republic Gunship, all it does is hold figures and it's awesome.
The gunship is indeed basically hollow, but it also has four shooting missiles, rotating turrets, a dropping floor, and rappel lines for clones, and it was featured heavily in a film and throughout the series. The attack shuttle does have the possibility of having firing missiles and storing clones, but all it's really done in the show is transport senators and blow up. And isn't the main holding bay at the front of the ship, right under the pilots' seats (remember how Jar Jar was screwing with it in Gungan General, and note how the door opens in the front)? That's an awful lot of nothing in the back there.

It very well could be the attack shuttle, and of course I'll get it, but I'm just wondering if it's the best choice for a big vehicle.

JediTricks
01-15-2011, 03:37 PM
JabbaJohn, one of us was right about this, one of us was riiiiiiiight: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=744203#post744203

;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-16-2011, 03:53 PM
I stand by the final line in my previous post. :p