PDA

View Full Version : Wave 5 - A New Hope/Revenge of the Sith

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Hasbro has seemingly sent out pictures to the fan sites; SSG doesn't have them up yet, but I'm sure they will be shortly.

At any rate, the lineup is this:
*Utapau Clone Trooper
*Death Star Luke Skywalker
*Yavin Ceremony Han Solo
*Commander Gree
*R5-D4
*Stormtrooper

All of them use some degree of old parts, it seems. Utapau Clone looks like the current TVC clone in orange colors. Luke appears based on the awesome Resurgence of the Jedi version with a cloth skirt and stormtrooper belt (for the first time on a basic card). R5-D4 is based on the build-a-droid mold; hopefully they got the red panels correct on his back. The stormtrooper looks like the TVC/Dewback sandtrooper without the pauldron, but the head looks different. Han is the VOTC body and Legacy Death Star escape version (meaning the shirt is inaccurate, unfortunately). I think Gree is a repack from 2008.

So there it is, kids, your first mixed wave since 2004. Nothing too stellar, though I'm excited for Luke.

EDIT: I'd like to ask about ceremony Han whenever we get the Q&A thread up and going . . . hopefully I can remember. In similar news, we asked a question about Death Star escape Luke that is basically now wasted aside from a brief blurb about Leia.

bkusna
10-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Saw the pics from another website......WHY ON EARTH DID THEY USE THAT HEAD SCULPT FOR HAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Mister Roboto
10-28-2010, 06:42 PM
That lineup is rather disappointing.

Popasdei
10-28-2010, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. JabbaJohnL;738416]
At any rate, the lineup is this:
*Utapau Clone Trooper
*Death Star Luke Skywalker
*Yavin Ceremony Han Solo
*Commander Gree
*R5-D4
*Stormtrooper
QUOTE]

Q2: While we anxiously await the arrival of the Vintage Collection's Return of the Jedi and Attack of the Clones waves, we are hoping get a glimpse/tease of the wave after AOTC. Anything you can share - like images or wave list? If not, how about a look at the cards for the AOTC wave?

A2: Sorry - no cards yet but please see attached for Vintage numbering and the wave list out through Wave 1 of '11 as well as images of these figures (coming soon).

VC20.) YODA
VC21.) GAMORREAN GUARD
VC22.) ADMIRAL ACKBAR
VC23.) JEDI LUKE
VC24.) WOOOF
VC25.) R2-D2
VC26.) REBEL COMMANDO
VC27.) WICKET
VC28.) WEDGE ANTILLES

Wave 6:
VC29.) KIT FISTO
VC30.) ZAM WIESSEL
VC31.) OBI-WAN KENOBI
VC32.) PEASANT ANAKIN
VC33.) PEASANT PADME
VC34.) JANGO FETT
VC35.) MACE WINDU
VC36.) BLUE SENATE GUARD
VC37.) SUPER BATTLE DROID

Wave 1 2011:
VC38.) CLONE TROOPER (Episode II)
VC39.) LUKE SKYWALKER
VC40.) R5-D4
VC41.) STORMTROOPER
VC42.) HAN SOLO
VC43.) COMANDER GREE

Qui-Long Gone
10-28-2010, 09:31 PM
I cannot believe they are not going to reissue the VOTC ANH Solo (or at least the head sculpt) and instead we get the Walter Mattheaued-faced figure instead...blech....

This line will all be peg warming....

DarkJedi5
10-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Some initial thoughts on this wave: snore. I mean, I'm excited about the Luke (though it totally burns one of our questions) but Gree is old news and I've got plenty of the Utapau clone. I'm on the fence regarding the other three; I'm glad they did a Yavin Han but they were lazy and didn't sculpt a new torso and so the figure is inaccurate and really is just a regular Han with a medal, R5–D4 is another character I've already got covered but if they painted him correctly and used the new BaD sculpt I might get another one, and the stormtrooper does look like the same one we just got as a sandtrooper so the back of this figure will determine whether I have any interest at all (I don't like my stormtroopers to have the holes in their backs for the sandtrooper backpacks).

dindae
10-29-2010, 09:16 AM
I'll likely pass on all of these. The only exception might be the Luke and maybe pick up a stormtrooper to replace some that have yellowed.

Qui-Long Gone
10-29-2010, 09:39 AM
I too may go with the Luke and trooper...Did anyone review the ANH Jedi Luke (4 pack with Obi, 3PO and R2)? Is this a repack of that figure? Was it worth all the fuss? I passed on the few I saw, the paint job on Luke looked too "goofy."

DarkArtist
10-29-2010, 10:48 AM
while this is a mixed wave of figures that is not the greatest of assortments I'm going to hold judgement till I see first hand... so far I'm all for Luke and Han.

I'm wondering if this is perhaps a look at the greatest hits Vintage figures and Hasbro is holding off on showing us the goodies in this wave until Toy Fair hits.

besides we are still left wondering about the ROTS Yoda and the ANH Wedge... perhaps Hasbro will give us some juicy photos for Toy Fair as to the rest of this wave.... I'm not ready toaccept that this is all there will be for the entire wave.

sebillba
10-29-2010, 11:56 AM
I too may go with the Luke and trooper...Did anyone review the ANH Jedi Luke (4 pack with Obi, 3PO and R2)? Is this a repack of that figure? Was it worth all the fuss? I passed on the few I saw, the paint job on Luke looked too "goofy."

The Resurgence Luke is probably the best version so far, but is far from perfect. It uses the VOTC legs, which are too short in proportion to the rest of the figure, the "skirt" prevents him from sitting properly, and worst of all (for me), the excellent headsculpt is ruined by being painted instead of cast in flesh coloured plastic.

This looks like being pretty much the same figure, but has soft goods to allow him to sit, and a stormtrooper belt. I'm really hoping the head won't be painted this time, and hopefully can be swapped with the other figure.

Apart from this figure I think I can pass on the whole wave.

El Chuxter
10-29-2010, 12:35 PM
I might get the Han, and maybe possibly the Luke. This wave is rather underwhelming, all said.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-29-2010, 02:09 PM
while this is a mixed wave of figures that is not the greatest of assortments I'm going to hold judgement till I see first hand... so far I'm all for Luke and Han.

I'm wondering if this is perhaps a look at the greatest hits Vintage figures and Hasbro is holding off on showing us the goodies in this wave until Toy Fair hits.

besides we are still left wondering about the ROTS Yoda and the ANH Wedge... perhaps Hasbro will give us some juicy photos for Toy Fair as to the rest of this wave.... I'm not ready toaccept that this is all there will be for the entire wave.
It definitely seems to fit the bill of a standard "repacks, repaints, and retools" wave, which we've seen every year for the past several years except 2009, which comes at the end of the year to fill in some of the gaps quickly. The only reason they sent out photos was because it's coming out before Toy Fair; I'm sure they'll have a lot of all-new stuff next year. But it does seem that this is the entire wave.

Jabbapalacespy
10-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Yeah, dissapointing. :tired: Haven't seen any pics yet but I may get R5-D4 if it looks good. Shouldn't we be getting another cantina alien or two in 2011?

Droid
10-29-2010, 04:03 PM
I am disgusted by this wave. It should have been in the Legends line.

After delay after delay to have this finally be the first mixed wave that I was looking forward to is really disappointing.

The whole saga was in play and not one new character or outfit. Not one.

Qui-Long Gone
10-29-2010, 06:08 PM
I agree that if this line was in the Legends the mixing would make sense, at least the mixing of these characters....but talk about make cheap and sell high...I'll pass on this one thanks....

Popasdei
10-29-2010, 06:46 PM
I think I'm looking forward to Kit Fisto the most out of TVC.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-29-2010, 07:57 PM
I agree that if this line was in the Legends the mixing would make sense, at least the mixing of these characters....but talk about make cheap and sell high...I'll pass on this one thanks....
This is the first wave of figures being mixed from different films. They're going to become even more mixed after this, which should help have more to offer for everyone when the waves aren't specific to one movie at a time.

Rogue II
10-29-2010, 08:12 PM
So they won't re-release BG-J38, but they are re-releasing the 2nd build a droid repaint with R5-D4? R5-D4 might be cool to have on the vintage card, but not for $7-8. I'd like to see Luke in person. Otherwise, I'm not thrilled with the selection.

Jayspawn
11-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Could care less about the Clone Troopers. R5-D4 and the Stormtrooper (already been done) I'll get.

bigbarada
11-01-2010, 01:43 PM
So they won't re-release BG-J38, but they are re-releasing the 2nd build a droid repaint with R5-D4? R5-D4 might be cool to have on the vintage card, but not for $7-8. I'd like to see Luke in person. Otherwise, I'm not thrilled with the selection.

I don't know if it's been confirmed that R5 is based on the Build-A-Droid mold. For all we know he could be the newly-scaled TVC Artoo with a new head. I think people are just jumping to the conclusion that's it's a BAD, unless I've missed some comment from Hasbro somewhere.

sebillba
11-01-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't know if it's been confirmed that R5 is based on the Build-A-Droid mold. For all we know he could be the newly-scaled TVC Artoo with a new head. I think people are just jumping to the conclusion that's it's a BAD, unless I've missed some comment from Hasbro somewhere.

RS said "Hasbro has also sent over an updated checklist for The Vintage Collection, including the official numbering for waves 1-5"

Wave 5 - Mixed Waves Begin
__ VC38: Clone Trooper (Utapau - repaint)
__ VC39: Luke Skywalker (Death Star Escape - refresh)
__ VC40: R5-D4 (B-A-D repaint)
__ VC41: Stormtrooper (repack of Sandtrooper, minus accessories)
__ VC42: Han Solo (refresh/repack)
__ VC43: Commander Gree (repack)

I'm assuming this means Hasbro included these descriptions, but even if they didn't, you can see the second set of holes on R5's body, which as far as I know, were only used on BAD parts.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-01-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm assuming this means Hasbro included these descriptions, but even if they didn't, you can see the second set of holes on R5's body, which as far as I know, were only used on BAD parts.
Exactly. I'm not entirely sure why we need another one four years later, but whatever.

Dice Ibegon
11-08-2010, 03:02 AM
I am so so bored of Gree. That figure should be in the Legends line definitely, not cluttering up the Vintage line.. Yawn yawn yawn this is by far the worst wave in a long time & I won't be getting any of them.

YAWN!

bkusna
11-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Check out the cardback from the NEW Darth Vader

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/watermark.php?file=179141

Rogue II
11-12-2010, 10:28 PM
I refuse to call anything with Hayden Christensen's head on it "Darth Vader". He was one of the things I hated the most about the prequels.

Popasdei
11-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Check out the cardback from the NEW Darth Vader

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/watermark.php?file=179141

Awesome varriant! When is this coming out? WHO WHAT WHEN WHERE I WANT

Popasdei
11-12-2010, 11:00 PM
I only want this if its got darth vader instead of anakin on the front.

Is this so?

bkusna
11-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Awesome varriant! When is this coming out? WHO WHAT WHEN WHERE I WANT

Some dude posted it from Target in Arizona...In all my haste grabbing Wave 3 tonight, I probably flipped right past 3 or 4 of these not knowing that it was even out yet....dadgummit :p

Popasdei
11-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Some dude posted it from Target in Arizona...In all my haste grabbing Wave 3 tonight, I probably flipped right past 3 or 4 of these not knowing that it was even out yet....dadgummit :p

yeah I'll have to find one on my hunt sunday for wave 3, I will only buy it if it says darth vader on the front of the card.

***EDIT*** if its the anakin card.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-13-2010, 03:16 AM
The other card pictures are . . . hmm. Gree's is pretty uninteresting, as I had considered getting him carded. Not sure why the stormtrooper gets an ESB logo.

bigbarada
11-13-2010, 07:57 AM
I refuse to call anything with Hayden Christensen's head on it "Darth Vader". He was one of the things I hated the most about the prequels.

Agreed, assigning the name "Darth Vader" to that whiny metrosexual is just a slap in the face to everyone who grew up watching the original trilogy.

Obsession is Nute
12-02-2010, 05:16 PM
I am disgusted by this wave. It should have been in the Legends line.

After delay after delay to have this finally be the first mixed wave that I was looking forward to is really disappointing.

The whole saga was in play and not one new character or outfit. Not one.

Could not have said it better myself, droid. I don't blame Hasbro for trying to make an easy buck, but who seriously really wants any of these figures?

With the loss of the Comic 2-packs and titaniums, the movie line of figures is all I collect, these days. It seems like I have fewer figures to get each year and the pacing between those waves is horrific. Ugh. I yearn for 2007 with its diversity and placing. Even worse, I am 100% willing to drop $25 on a battle pack with 3 old figures just for ONE, neat, new figure. Hasbro won't give me the opportunity to be taken advantage of.

Not a good way to start of 2011 Hasbro. Fortunately, the ROTS and ROTJ waves were so good, I have hope for next Fall.

Obsession is Nute
12-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Agreed, assigning the name "Darth Vader" to that whiny metrosexual is just a slap in the face to everyone who grew up watching the original trilogy.

Worse, it is confusing for some folks. Can you imagine some poor little kid who put a Darth Vader figure on the top of his Christmas list? His elderly Grandma goes to the store and picks out Anakin instead, because it says DARTH VADER on the box. Picturing the crushed look on that poors kid's face as he opens his present to see lil' Annie instead of Darth, it breaks my heart.

Qui-Long Gone
12-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Worse, it is confusing for some folks. Can you imagine some poor little kid who put a Darth Vader figure on the top of his Christmas list?

I agree. Fortunately my 4 year old son recognizes that Metro-Annie is evil and always refers to him as a 'bad guy' when we play. Ironically, he usually has the real Vader (or one of the Fetts) kill Emo-Annie.

Qui-Long Gone
12-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Not a good way to start of 2011 Hasbro. Fortunately, the ROTS and ROTJ waves were so good, I have hope for next Fall.

The way I see it, Hasbro is draining my dollars over Christmas on these last waves then giving me a break with the next waves by encouraging me to pass on the early 2011 figures.

My hope, however, is that my money will build back up in time for another excellent wave that can rival the 2010 ROTJ figures.

bkusna
12-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Here's the case breakdown.....
This Wave 5 case includes 12 individually packaged Star Wars Vintage Action Figures (subject to change):
1x Anakin Skywalker
1x General Grievous with Cape
1x Sandtrooper
1x VC20 Yoda with Hover chair
1x Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)
1x Clone Trooper
1x Luke Skywalker (Ep IV)
1x R5-D4 (Ep IV)
1x Stormtrooper
1x Han Solo (EP IV)
1x Clone Commander Gree
1x Darth Vader
(subject to change)
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS97568E

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-23-2010, 12:55 AM
I wonder if Yoda will indeed be coming with this wave (still not sure why it lists him as having a hover chair). If the ROTS card art is cool enough, I might get one to keep packaged.

Qui-Long Gone
12-23-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm very dissapointed that the ANH Solo has that horrible head sculpt. I can't say I'm very excited about that Luke either....sigh.

sebillba
12-23-2010, 12:28 PM
I wonder if Yoda will indeed be coming with this wave (still not sure why it lists him as having a hover chair). If the ROTS card art is cool enough, I might get one to keep packaged.

I've just had an email from Star Action Figures, offering up the wave for pre-order, and confirming that Yoda will be included, though he's not sure yet which backing card will be used. I'm just ordering Yoda and Luke - hopefully I can headswap with the Resurgence Luke, as I still hate that painted face.

autumnsdescent
12-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Here's the case breakdown.....
This Wave 5 case includes 12 individually packaged Star Wars Vintage Action Figures (subject to change):
1x Anakin Skywalker
1x General Grievous with Cape
1x Sandtrooper
1x VC20 Yoda with Hover chair
1x Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight)
1x Clone Trooper
1x Luke Skywalker (Ep IV)
1x R5-D4 (Ep IV)
1x Stormtrooper
1x Han Solo (EP IV)
1x Clone Commander Gree
1x Darth Vader
(subject to change)
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS97568E

Looking at the pictures of this wave at EE, I think I can honestly say the only figure I am remotely interested in might be the ANH Luke (which they still have yet to make the definitive version of IMO). I guess Hasbro can't make all their waves as good as the ROTJ Wave 3. Looks like I get to save some money this year...

Snowtrooper
12-23-2010, 05:53 PM
At this point, this wave is still looking pretty bleh. The Luke and Han were the only ones I'd was considering getting multiples of and the way they look now, I have doubts that I'll do that. R5-D4 also has the same unpainted back panels like the previous release. Theres just not much to get excited about here. I'm probably looking forward more to the cardbacks than the figures.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-23-2010, 07:10 PM
At this point, this wave is still looking pretty bleh. The Luke and Han were the only ones I'd was considering getting multiples of and the way they look now, I have doubts that I'll do that. R5-D4 also has the same unpainted back panels like the previous release. Theres just not much to get excited about here. I'm probably looking forward more to the cardbacks than the figures.
Where'd you see that about R5-D4?

Snowtrooper
12-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Someone over on RS purchased this from Tunghori and posted the following pic. Unless its an early version and the later ones will have the panels painted. I guess we'll see.

DarkJedi5
12-24-2010, 12:48 PM
This wave is getting worse all the time.... I don't want any more Utapau clones, I've got 1 Gree which is all anyone needs, since R5 is still inaccurate he's no better than the one's I've got, Han is a joke, Luke looks like a girl (maybe Jody Foster?), I might get one of the new stormtroopers and I'll buy a Yoda. So much for each wave of the Vintage line being a home run.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Someone over on RS purchased this from Tunghori and posted the following pic. Unless its an early version and the later ones will have the panels painted. I guess we'll see.
Damn, that sucks. I wonder if they'll do a running change?

Also, I wonder if Gree will have a different head with the double-mohawk he sports in the TV shot? I doubt they will, but it would guarantee another purchase from me.

Qui-Long Gone
12-24-2010, 04:54 PM
looks like a girl (maybe Jody Foster?)

Wow! I was racking my brain trying to think of who it was he looked like! That is totally spot-on! We now need a removable helmet Hannibal Lector!

bkusna
12-24-2010, 08:34 PM
they are out...
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/todd_1313/DSCF0004.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/todd_1313/DSCF0002.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/todd_1313/DSCF0003.jpg

El Chuxter
12-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Okay, dude, that's Wave 4. You had me crapping my pants thinking I'd missed a wave I actually want a few figures from. Don't do that to me, man. lol

(It's funny that I'm sick of Anakins, AOTC is my least favorite of the movies, and, yet, I'm prepared to gutpunch an old lady to get my hands on that Peasant Anakin.)

bkusna
12-24-2010, 09:11 PM
my bad....I was all giddy and posted it on the wrong thread...will someone real smart move that post over...:grin:

Qui-Long Gone
12-25-2010, 01:13 AM
I think the Windu will be the only one I nab...I like the Obi Wan, but isn't that a repack?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-26-2010, 01:41 PM
I think the Windu will be the only one I nab...I like the Obi Wan, but isn't that a repack?
It's the 2009 Legacy Collection version, but they added a cloak and fixed the paint so that his undershirt is accurately lighter than the rest of his tunic.

tagmac
01-10-2011, 12:30 PM
I think this set may be out. I was in Target last night, and they had a vintage "Darth Vader" Anakin on the pegs, with the rewritten name. On the back were pics of the Stormtrooper, Celebration Han, Luke, and the Utapau Clone Trooper. Has anyone else come accross these, or are they merely shipping the re-carded Anakin with Wave 3? There were no other figures from Wave 5 on the pegs, so I'm assuming this is also a possibility.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-10-2011, 01:03 PM
I think this set may be out. I was in Target last night, and they had a vintage "Darth Vader" Anakin on the pegs, with the rewritten name. On the back were pics of the Stormtrooper, Celebration Han, Luke, and the Utapau Clone Trooper. Has anyone else come accross these, or are they merely shipping the re-carded Anakin with Wave 3? There were no other figures from Wave 5 on the pegs, so I'm assuming this is also a possibility.
The re-named Darth Vader figure (formerly Anakin) shipped with wave 3 and has wave 5 images on the cardback, but no, they're not out yet.

tagmac
01-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks for clearing that up!

Obsession is Nute
01-16-2011, 01:20 AM
This wave is getting worse all the time.... I don't want any more Utapau clones, I've got 1 Gree which is all anyone needs, since R5 is still inaccurate he's no better than the one's I've got, Han is a joke, Luke looks like a girl (maybe Jody Foster?), I might get one of the new stormtroopers and I'll buy a Yoda. So much for each wave of the Vintage line being a home run.

An apt quote. As I stew, waiting for AOTC wave (none of those figures exicte me, but the new sculpts and new Ani/Padme are worth purchasing) I become increasingly ****ed at what awaits us after Wave 4.

I hate to speak harshly of Star Wars figures as they are my beloved pastime, but I am going to call a spade a spade here. This wave is garbage and I resent that Hasbro could not put ONE...just ONE decent, new figure. A cantina alien, new sculpt or new character, I don't care.

I think this wave beats the repaint wave from the TAC as the worst wave we have had since ROTS in 2005. At least the repaint wave managed to incorporate some new characters, even if they were shameless repaints. A couple of fun acessories, too. This wave has nothing going for it IMO. Anyone care to disagree?

Droid
01-17-2011, 09:54 AM
I expect one worthless repaint wave a year, but I am pretty irritated that we are getting this group of figures as Wave 5 after the long, long gaps in between figures last year. I think they could have skipped Wave Five altogether and just hurried the figures in Wave 6 to us.

I will pass on all of Wave 5 and will be really angry if Hasbro views poor sales of Wave 5 as any kind of reflection on the health of the line.

bkusna
01-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Just got back from walmart and scored a fresh case unpunched of WAVE 5...officially reported now from west coast to the midwest and the east coast...Good Luck :thumbsup:

Obsession is Nute
01-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Just got back from walmart and scored a fresh case unpunched of WAVE 5...officially reported now from west coast to the midwest and the east coast...Good Luck :thumbsup:

Whoa, whoa! I thought AOTC was Wave 4, did I miss something?

DarkJedi5
01-18-2011, 07:26 PM

It seems like it was received first at the warehouses and then Wave 5 rolled in behind it and is being shipped out first because wave 4 is buried underneath it?

bkusna
01-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Haven't seen wave 3 in over 5 weeks...no wave 4...walked into to wallyworld and wave 5 was in a case by the figures opened but not shelved yet....Only one walmart out of 6 had ANY new figures today....

sebillba
01-19-2011, 04:51 AM

Are you opening any of these? I'm really keen to see if the Luke will headswap perfectly with Resurgence of the Jedi Luke, and how it looks... the latter has a great sculpt, but I still hate the painted finish, and stops it from being my definitive farmboy. And since the new figure is cursed with terrible soft goods, it won't make much difference if it also has a painted face.

The only other figure from this wave I want is Yoda - I was really looking forward to finally getting an SA version... but I'm gutted to find out he has swivel elbows instead of bjs, they really have no place in TVC. :upset:

bkusna
01-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Are you opening any of these? I'm really keen to see if the Luke will headswap perfectly with Resurgence of the Jedi Luke, and how it looks... the latter has a great sculpt, but I still hate the painted finish, and stops it from being my definitive farmboy. And since the new figure is cursed with terrible soft goods, it won't make much difference if it also has a painted face.

The only other figure from this wave I want is Yoda - I was really looking forward to finally getting an SA version... but I'm gutted to find out he has swivel elbows instead of bjs, they really have no place in TVC. :upset:

I am an opener..I will be opening WAVE 4 and 5 the next two days and report back

sebillba
01-20-2011, 01:01 AM
I am an opener..I will be opening WAVE 4 and 5 the next two days and report back

Cool, thanks. :thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
02-05-2011, 02:25 PM
I found this wave at Wal-Mart today, except I didn't notice a Stormtrooper. Hard to tell amidst the sea of clone troopers and sandtroopers.

I only got the Han and the Luke. I passed on R5-D4, Utapau Clone, Gree and Yoda since I didn't know if there was anything new about them.

LTBasker
02-05-2011, 11:57 PM
I hope this Stormtrooper continues to be released through following waves for awhile, I would really like to be able to pick up several. I'm sure there's a dozen or so people that could/will probably correct me, but I feel this is the most accurate version we've gotten. It's really the first Stormtrooper that seems to capture not just the great look of the armor but also how clunky the costumes looked with the slightly oversized helmet, and it looks great.

Although, I'm disappointed it was released on an ESB card- have they said why? You'd think that being part of the first 12 would have made it a guarantee to have the right card. It's not like there is a coin issue, and the VOTC release was on the ROTJ card.

El Chuxter
02-06-2011, 12:00 AM
With this lackluster wave hitting while waves 1-2 are pegwarming still and prices appear to be shooting up for no apparent reason, this could spell certain doom for the line. Or at least the current incarnation and collector focus.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-06-2011, 12:10 AM
With this lackluster wave hitting while waves 1-2 are pegwarming still and prices appear to be shooting up for no apparent reason, this could spell certain doom for the line. Or at least the current incarnation and collector focus.
You say the line's dead every three days, so I think we'll survive. :p I also don't think it will be a problem since the wave is mostly only hitting at Walmart, whose prices are the same as they were last year (the pre-Christmas sales notwithstanding).

I only got the Han and the Luke. I passed on R5-D4, Utapau Clone, Gree and Yoda since I didn't know if there was anything new about them.
R5-D4 is the Build-A-Droid body; Utapau Clone is the Vintage body, currently seen pegwarming in the white version; Gree is a repack with a slightly brighter green on his chest; Yoda is at least partly new, with articulated knees for the first time.

El Chuxter
02-06-2011, 12:14 AM
$10+ when a wave everyone acknowledges is one of the weakest in years is pretty serious. Ten bucks is double digits, an easy cutoff point for most people who will no longer see something as trivial at that price. Even $9 is not good when it's almost a 100% increase over, what, three years ago (I think)?

Mad Slanted Powers
02-06-2011, 12:23 AM
They were only $7.96 at Wal-Mart today.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-06-2011, 01:14 PM
$10+ when a wave everyone acknowledges is one of the weakest in years is pretty serious. Ten bucks is double digits, an easy cutoff point for most people who will no longer see something as trivial at that price. Even $9 is not good when it's almost a 100% increase over, what, three years ago (I think)?

As MSP said, they're $7.96 at Walmart, $8.99 at Target, and $9.99 at TRU, though they're not really even showing up anywhere but Walmart. The over-$10 Target was in San Francisco, which has higher prices anyway. And since 2006, basic figures have all been $6.99 (aside from sales), so it's not nearly as big a jump as you think.

The repaint-heavy wave 5 is shipping simultaneously with wave 4, so I don't think it will clog pegs. Stormtroopers always do well (much better than sandtroopers), there hasn't been a single-carded Utapau clone in five years, and the rest of the hero characters are bound to do well regardless of how some feel about them (the current pegwarming heroes in TVC, like Anakin and Obi-Wan, are simultaneously available for cheaper in Saga Legends, so it's not really a surprise that they're not doing too well; Han and Luke, at least in these outfits, don't share that issue right now).

El Chuxter
02-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Okay, five years. Still a short time for the price to double.

I only worry because I can't help but think TRU is going to start a ball rolling. It makes no sense to raise the price when they're already laughably high, unless MSRP is going to increase soon. Maybe it's nothing but TRU being stupid, as they often are, but even $10 figures are tough to swallow, so I really hope this doesn't spread beyond them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Again, huh? How is it doubling when a $7 line jumps to $9 or even $10? I don't follow at all.

TRU has had the Vintage line at $10 since August, and none of the other stores have followed suit. I don't know what's up with Target.

At any rate, I found more remnants of this wave today, picking up Luke, R5-D4, and Gree (to keep carded, since it looks pretty sweet in person). The store had gotten in at least five cases, judging by the Vader figures left behind. So I still need Yoda and Han and I'm good here; still no sign of wave 4, though.

El Chuxter
02-06-2011, 05:50 PM
I had the number of years off, but they were $5 not too terribly long ago.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-06-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm going off the Rebelscum photo archives, which are updated as the figures come out, so I'm inclined to believe them. Let's take a walk down memory lane for basic figures:

*1995-1998: $4.99
*1998: $5.99
*1999-2000: $6.99
*2000-2002: $5.99
*2002-2004: $4.99
*2005: $5.99
*2006-2008: $6.99
*2008-2010: $7.99 (Clone Wars $6.99 2008-2009)

The last time they were $5 was in 2004, when the Vintage figures were $10 each and the vast majority of the $5 figures were repacks with limited articulation. And I'm sure different stores had them for more or less than the average, with Walmart usually being the cheapest and TRU the most expensive.

sonofsokol
02-07-2011, 01:24 PM
So, I found Wave 5 today at Wal-mart in Salt Lake City, UT. The vintage pegs had been completely bare for 2 weeks prior to this morning. No sign of Wave 4 either.

I compared the paint applications on all 4 of the Utapau Troopers and maybe it was just my eyes deceiving me, but it almost seemed to me that the helmet was showing that greenish-yellow color to it that some of the plain phase 3 troopers were showing earlier. It just didn't seem to match the white of the body armor. Maybe I was being over-critical, but has anyone else noticed this?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-07-2011, 01:47 PM
So, I found Wave 5 today at Wal-mart in Salt Lake City, UT. The pegs had been completely bare for 2 weeks prior to this morning. No sign of Wave 4 either.

I compared the paint applications on all 4 of the Utapau Troopers and maybe it was just my eyes deceiving me, but it almost seemed to me that the helmet was showing that greenish-yellow color to it that some of the plain phase 3 troopers were showing earlier. It just didn't seem to match the white of the body armor. Maybe I was being over-critical, but has anyone else noticed this?

The two I've seen had a bit of this, but not nearly as bad as some of the white clones I've seen. However, I've read that a damp cloth can get rid of this easily. I haven't tried it but I will at some point.

sonofsokol
02-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Like you said, it wasn't nearly as bad as the plain clones, but it still bugged me. I'd be very interested to know if the damp cloth works for you. I put off buying one for now, but if all it takes is a damp cloth to correct it, I'd get one for sure. Thanks for the reply JJL.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Sure thing. I just read about it in GalacticHunter's Q&A (http://www.galactichunter.com/gh/story/qa-more-ships-more-figures-pre-toy-fair-fun) (the pertinent part is at the bottom). I won't be able to try it for around two weeks (the figures are at home while I'm at my college townhouse, which isn't too far away but I usually visit every two weeks) but I'll let you know how it works. It's frustrating that this is an issue again, especially with the figures right out of the gate as opposed to waiting a few years for them to get the discoloration. For now, if you really want the figure, I'd say just look around for one with a better-looking helmet, since they're not all equally bad from what I've seen. Or if nothing else, it can be a clone with his helmet off for the Utapau briefing scene. :p

sebillba
02-11-2011, 03:16 AM
I received my wave 4 and 5 figures yesterday - all on unpunched cards, not that it particularly matters to me. Some very nice upgrades in w4, especially Zam Wesell, but nothing I'm terribly excited about.... the only one I've opened so far is DSE Luke, I've been dying to know for sure if I could headswap with Resurgence of the Jedi Luke, and am very pleased to report that they fit perfectly.

I'm so pleased to finally have a decent classic farmboy figure - SA, and no painted face - it's improved that figure no end for me. Ok, the legs are still a bit small, but it was the face that's always been the big deal for me.

Snowtrooper
02-11-2011, 12:46 PM
I just purchased the AOTC wave and the remainder of the ANH/ROTS wave off of HTS. It sucks that they are charging $8.99 per figure now, but I used DISC10 to get the usual 10% off and since it was such a large order, it ended up taking off around $19. Even though I still actually pay more per figure for them than retail, by the time I figure in paying for gas to go on a run(I'm 70 miles from the nearest WM), I still end up saving money.

P.S. For those of you interested, they have the Jedi Turbo Speeder as well.

bigbarada
02-12-2011, 08:19 AM
This wave showed up at my Walmart last night, which is great because that means the AOTC wave skipped right over us. :happydance:

Anyways, I picked up the Jedi Luke with the corrected card and that's it.

My impressions from what I saw:
Death Star Escape Luke - looks extremely goofy, but so did Mark Hamill in ANH, so he might still be a pretty decent Luke figure. He's one that I will probably pick up after I get paid. We'll see.

Han Solo Ceremony - I was hoping that the facesculpt would improve some the second time around, but it didn't. Even the vintage card doesn't save this one.

R5-D4 - not a fan of the BAD sculpt, plus his legs look like they are falling out of their sockets. Hard to get myself to pay $8 for something that would have been a freebee two years ago. I'll wait until they update R5 with the smaller 2010 Sail Barge R2 body before I spend money on another one. I had thought about getting one just to keep carded, but not with that warning label ruining the front of the card the way it does.

Stormtrooper - absolute 100% total garbage. I'm ready to petition Hasbro to abandon removable helmets altogether because they look horrible. Plus, we are soon going to be getting the VOTC Stormtrooper in the Saga Legends line which looks ten times better than this trash and it will cost $1 less. Can someone please explain the marketing strategy here? :confused:

Utapau Trooper - helmets are already turning green and they've been only been on the shelf for a few hours. :upset: I guess he gets to join the ranks of pegwarming Clonetroopers and Sandtroopers as well.

Commander Gree - Looks fine, just like he did when I bought him in 2008. Almost tempted to buy him for the card, but I'd just end up returning him like I did all the wave 2 figures I bought.

Anyways, now we're just that much closer to wave 6.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-12-2011, 02:57 PM
This wave showed up at my Walmart last night, which is great because that means the AOTC wave skipped right over us. :happydance:
No, not actually. In most places, wave 4 is showing up after wave 5, so you'll still probably get it.

bigbarada
02-12-2011, 03:21 PM
No, not actually. In most places, wave 4 is showing up after wave 5, so you'll still probably get it.

Hey, I'm in a good mood right now, why are you trying to ruin that? :mad:

:D

Jedi_nav
02-12-2011, 04:21 PM

Hey BKUSNA, I've been following Sir Steves Guide for years but never really post anything. I'm in Moore OK and I'm wondering where the heck you find everything. I haven't seen anything new for months. Saw only two Gamorrean Guards. Haven't seen Wave 4 or 5. Any help would be awesome. I only get one of the cool stuff so I'm not serious competition. Thanks man.

bigbarada
02-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Went back to Walmart last night and both ANH Luke's have sold. Everything else from the wave is still there but the Luke's are gone. I guess someone else thinks it's a cool Luke figure as well.

El Chuxter
02-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Saw R5-D4 and Han at Wal-Mart yesterday. Had no interest in R5-D4 again, and, at $9+tax, saw no reason to drop almost ten on another anorexic Harrison Ford figure.

tagmac
02-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Found only Greivous from this wave last night at TRU, along with Wave 4 (- Mace). Somewhat surprised that this wave was all but gone, but most of Wave 4's new figures were still on the pegs. Don't need the GG repack, and with HTS still sold out of these, my hunt for Luke, Han, R5, and the Utapau Clone goes on....

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-16-2011, 02:08 PM
I found my first Yoda yesterday, though I think I'll keep this one on the card since it looks pretty damn sweet.

Jabbapalacespy
02-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Although I like the previous version better, I think the new R5-D4 is okay. I like to customize and paint figures and being a B.A.D. makes it a little easier to modify if I want. I kind of hope they release some of the other B.A.D.s this way. I think it would actually be cheaper than buying parts off the internet. It's definitely cheaper than buying 4 or 6 figures you don't really want to build a droid you do want. :tired: But I understand that I'm probably in the minority here and most people are not interested in these figures being given their own card. (Although the fact that they released a B.A.D. R5-D4 gives me hope that they will someday release a new 8D8 since they have most of the parts after making the BG-J38 B.A.D. :yes:)

Snowtrooper
02-17-2011, 07:09 PM
My AOTC/ANH/ROTS from HTS showed up today. They did a decent job of packaging. None of the cards were really warped and no bubbles were crushed. Plus they all showed up unpunched(no surprise). I think the Luke isn't as bad looking as earlier pics I saw. The legs are still short in comparison to the torso, but the headsculpt is not too bad. The hair isn't as bright of a yellow, it has some dinginess to it which takes the edge off the brightness.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-19-2011, 06:01 PM
I saw only an R5 from the wave today, picked up the card, looked at the front and back, put it back on the peg again. I may actually have reached the point where even a cool (or semi-cool) figure isn't enough anymore. I may really be done with SW action figure buying this time. There will be books, and comics, and even trading cards but..., music, video, clothing, etc. purchased, but I believe I have finally maxed-out on the 3 3/4" horde.

Blue2th
02-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Saw this wave at Walmart the other day. What is really kind of a bummer is the Utapau Clone Trooper's helmet is discolored just like the ROTS Clone before him. I won't be buying any of these.
It's a good thing I kept quite a few of the older ones.

This inferior plastic removable helmet thing is not working out on white Troopers lately, and especially at the higher prices they want for them now.

tagmac
02-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Finally found this wave at WM this morning. Picked up Han, Luke, R5, and Yoday, admittedly primarily for the cards. Was going to get the Utapau Clone, but aftyer seeing how discolored the helmets were, I, too, won't waste my money on these. The versions I bought a few years ago will do just fine.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-21-2011, 07:13 PM
I saw the Utapau Clone again today and looked at the helmet. It didn't seem too discolored. It probably wasn't as white as the rest, but it didn't seem to bad. Maybe in a different light or out of the package it would look different to me.

jonthejedi
02-23-2011, 04:02 AM
This question may have been answered furthur back but....what happened to Wedge? Is he shipping with the next wave or what?

mtriv73
02-23-2011, 07:07 AM
This question may have been answered furthur back but....what happened to Wedge? Is he shipping with the next wave or what?

He's coming out with a re-release of the ROTJ wave (@ 1 per case) that's supposed to be shipping in May. The pegs are going to be so full of sandtroopers, Anakin/Vader's, and clone troopers by then (as if they aren't already) that I never expect to see it.

JediTricks
03-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Been seeing remnants of this wave around, finally found the Luke Death Star Escape figure and bought it. That and maybe the Stormtrooper are the only ones I want from this wave, just not an inspiring wave IMO at this $8-9 price.

Luke has a very nice head sculpt, I definitely approve of that work, it comes through with the right expression for the movie. The belt is good too, and the soft-goods skirt is alright, it matches the color of the tunic for once right on.

The legs are a bit of an ugly, skinny horror-show worse than they were on the '04 VOTC figure, but the problem isn't length as folks thought with the figure's basis (the Resurgence of the Jedi pack), the problem is the width of the stance. The figure sports ball-hinge hips, but not only are they designed to spring either to straight or pretty far out, but they leave a massive gap at the thigh when used. This is too bad, because it's high time we get a really good Luke ANH and this figure (and the one its based on) are so close yet too far.

bigbarada
05-03-2011, 08:19 PM
This wave has started to stick around over here and there were finally enough Han Solos that I could cherry pick the ones with the best paint apps. The likeness actually improves tremendously depending on the way the paint is applied. So, I bought the two best examples that I could find and I think it's actually a better Harrison Ford likeness than the 2004 VOTC figure.

needmore_niko
05-05-2011, 08:34 AM
I picked up several figures from Wave 5 (Luke ANH, Stormtrooper, Jedi Luke, and Yoda) the past couple of weeks at WalMarts around metro Atlanta. I still haven't seen any Wave 4, not sure if they ever will show up. Local Targets are still sporting Waves 1 and 2 (Dengar mostly), which I cannot believe! It's May, and no new vintage cards since maybe November! Maybe Target will get Wave 4 by Labor Day...