PDA

View Full Version : Batman 3 title announced!

jonthejedi
10-30-2010, 04:55 AM
The Dark Knight Rises will be the official title of Nolan's third film in his reinvented Batman franchise. Christian Bale is expected to return in the title role; no villian is announced as yet...although the Riddler has been rumoured.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-30-2010, 09:16 AM
The article in my newspaper said that the Riddler had been ruled out. Bane as the cruel villian, rather than the buffoon henchman, would work for me.

Who've been villians in the newest Batman run?
- Joker (love to see him back, but hard to imagine anyone approaching Leger's portrayal)
- Ras A'Gul [sp?]
- Scarecrow
- Two Face (although not developed much at all)
- ?? (blanking out on others, especially if they were just briefly shown or referenced)

Who wouldn't work well as a villain?
- Penguin (too campy)
- Mr. Freeze (see above, perhaps)
- Riddler (unless it was a dark, violent version I guess)
- Tweedle Dee and Dum (uh...)

Who's left?
- Catwoman
- Clayface
- Killer Croc
- Poison Ivy
- ?? (blanking out a lot lately... :rolleyes: )

Rocketboy
10-30-2010, 10:28 AM
The Riddler was ruled out by Nolan at the same time he announced the title.

?? (blanking out on others, especially if they were just briefly shown or referenced)Mostly minor bad guys: Serial killer Zsasz was in Batman Begins as were gangster Carmine Falcone and thug Joe Chill. And rival gangster Sal Maroni was in The Dark Knight.

I think the Penguin could work as a ruthless businessman/mob boss (rather than the Danny Devito's mutant politician). Catwoman and Killer Croc are also decent possibilities.
With the way Nolan has realistically reinvented these villains (with his very dark Joker having face paint rather than chemically bleached skin and with Ra's al Ghul there were only vague implications of his immortality), I don't any reason he can't do any Bat-villain well.

I'd love to see Joker come back, even in cameo form, possibly orchestrating chaos from inside Arkham with a the new villain (whomever that may be) on the outside. But bringing Joker back would be blasphemy to far too many. I could easily see Joseph Gordon Levitt (the previously rumored Riddler) being able to take over the mantle of Joker. And toss in a bit of Harley Quinn for good measure.

El Chuxter
10-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Rocky beat me to the minor villains. Killer Croc and Deadshot also appeared in the forgettable cartoon spinoff that supposedly takes place between movies.

I'd personally love to see the Bane/Azrael story done right. Or even just Bane done right.

Some totally off-the-wall goofy villain in a cameo would be interesting, sort of the reverse of the "idiots imitating Batman" angle. I'm thinking someone totally absurd, like Kite Man or Calendar Man or even the Music Meister.

Tycho
10-30-2010, 11:02 AM
I really hope it would be The Riddler. A movie like one of those killers-who-call-the-hero-cop-with-tasks-to-do-in-order-to-save-hostages would be intense.

Instead, there are of course riddles to solve just to be able to complete The Riddler's tasks.

While not a particular "looker" of an actor, it would be great if they could coax the performance of a lifetime out of that guy from Dark Knight who wanted to blackmail Wayne. It would be most interesting in that the villain would be more like "everyday Joe" (but with a treacherous mind) instead of being played by a (male actor) super-model type (like how Liam Neeson was used to bring fans into theaters). This movie would have all the Batman action and effects, but be performance based.

The guy in Dark Knight wasn't given a huge script to act from, and he was supposed to be a "naive nerd type."

Meanwhile, along the lines of re-defining villains for a reality series, Mr. Freeze could be interesting if he wasn't wearing a helmet and temperature control suit permanently in the movie. Of course they'd show his origins and how he gets to be that way, and perhaps he's wearing a hazmat suit or something at some point when Batman faces him?

I don't know if anyone could top Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman in Batman Returns. I honestly don't want to see it done. Like Heath Ledger owns the Joker in the new franchise, Pfeiffer's performance with Michael Keaton was classic!

I agree with Rocketboy about The Penguin. He can have birth defects, though. I'm not sure about the heavy makeup and everything they did to Danny DeVito though - and I'm really not sure about robot (or trained) penguins. It's better as a nickname than an actual animal trainer.

The Nolan films are less about supernatural villains but rather about psychotic terrorists.

I'd prefer it stayed that way.

El Chuxter
10-30-2010, 11:55 AM
The Burton movie was the only time Penguin had any physical abnormality (well, aside from the TAS version, which was visually based heavily on the movie). He's supposed to just be a fat guy. At least a guy who looks fat. He's mostly muscle, but disdains physical violence.

The Riddler is just stupid. Every attempt to make him cool fails. The only two times in history when he didn't suck were when Bane pumped him up with Venom and then his men shot him, or at the end of Hush, where he'd finally figured out Batman's identity and was set up to be a mastermind villain, and then nothing happened with that. One old story ("Dark Knight, Dark City") was an attempt to make him dark, and is getting a lot of after-the-fact praise now, but no matter how much Grant Morrison and his disciples like the story, it sucked eggs.

I want the Ventriloquist.

Qui-Long Gone
11-02-2010, 01:57 PM
I thought the first film belonged to Bruce Wayne and the second belonged to the Joker...I think this 3rd should go to Batman, so it's not so important to top Joker with a mega-villain....a gangster Penguin, petty-thief Catwoman, or ugly-thug Croc would work.

El Chuxter
11-02-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm a little ticked that they wasted Two-Face in TDK. (That and the ridiculous "tell 'em I killed the cops!" twist were why I think that movie was inferior to the first.)

They had a pretty good thing going with using villains that paralleled a deeper theme: Scarecrow in a movie about fears, Joker in a movie about the darkest depths of human nature. Two-Face in a movie about the duality of Batman and Bruce Wayne would have seemed natural. Instead, they wasted him as a subplot in the Joker's movie.

And who is a good enough villain to follow up the Joker? No one. Catwoman and Penguin come closest, but, really, Joker and Two-Face are in a league of their own when it comes to Batman villains.

TeeEye7
11-02-2010, 03:34 PM
This just in: Chux signs on as Robin! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
11-02-2010, 04:28 PM
And Chux's wife wins an Oscar for Best Costume Design. :mabs:

jedikiss
11-02-2010, 04:33 PM
when the rumor of Johnny Depp as Riddler first surfaced, I thought, "what a waste" He would be better at continuing what Leger created w/The Joker. Then my wife told mwe that she saw an online rumore about Robin Williams being approached for the next Nolan Batman film, and I thought ..The Penguin. Williams can play a villian/bad guy very well.

Tycho
11-03-2010, 04:12 AM
No man! Charlie Sheen!

He's on his game now.

Lord Malakite
11-03-2010, 04:32 AM
No man! Charlie Sheen!

He's on his game now.

Charlie Sheen as the Black Mask. Somehow I could see that working.

preacher
11-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Paul Giomatti as a gangser Penguin Penguin would be cool.

If Riddler really is in it, and the claim that he isn't is misinformation I say Kevin Spacey reprising his role as a Se7en-esque puzzle serial killer. How this would play out in a redemption story is iffy plus we already saw riddler-like antics with Joker.

Poison Ivy as a black widow-esque temptress using nightshade or other lethal flora to kill her victims would be enteresting. For that I would choose Amy Adams. How that would play into the overall story is a bit iffy.

Mr. Freeze would have to be rethought. Maybe make him into a bubble-boy. I just can't see this working in the Nolan Universe.

Bane, the way he is depicted in the animemation could work. Hitman, or thug with muscle enhancing drugs isn't too far-fetched.

Killer Croc could work. Give him tatoos instead of real scales.

Ventriloquist would work as the new mob boss.

Mad Hatter maybe. Steve Buscemi.

I personally don't think we've seen the last of Two Face.

Rocketboy
11-04-2010, 10:39 AM
I personally don't think we've seen the last of Two Face.His dead body didn't give a hint that he wouldn't be returning?

TeeEye7
11-04-2010, 03:05 PM
And Chux's wife wins an Oscar for Best Costume Design. :mabs:

Indeed! It's awesome! :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-04-2010, 07:37 PM
His dead body didn't give a hint that he wouldn't be returning?
Aaron Eckhart's in Denver for the film festival here, and some friends got to interview him briefly on the red carpet. When quickly asked whether he'd be back for DKR, he apparently said, "We'll see." Again, not sure why anyone's on the fence about this, least of all the actor himself.

El Chuxter
11-04-2010, 07:46 PM
I have no doubt that he's dead; didn't Gordon say as much? Thing is, the fall didn't have to be fatal, and when we see him staring into the air, it could be because that eye is permanently open. I don't see why they had to kill him in a way that might leave the door open.

preacher
11-04-2010, 08:45 PM
I have no doubt that he's dead; didn't Gordon say as much? Thing is, the fall didn't have to be fatal, and when we see him staring into the air, it could be because that eye is permanently open. I don't see why they had to kill him in a way that might leave the door open.

No. He said Dent is dead. Kind of like that whole Anakin died thing. Harvey is most definitely dead...from a certain point of view.

Tycho
11-05-2010, 03:25 PM
They could bring Rhasa Ghul (Liam Neeson) and TwoFace (Aaron Eckhart) back for double the trouble as the former plots the downfall of his best student in the ultimate showdown - and he uses TwoFace to orchestrate it like he was using Scarecrow. Add the Riddler to this mix (Mr. Reese) and you have the makings of a great thriller without the Joker.

Yeah. The more I think about doing it this way, the more I like it.

El Chuxter
11-05-2010, 03:27 PM
What's Two-Face gain from this? The Two-Face side of his persona stands for chaos, and Harvey Dent stands for order and justice. (Let's not get into almost never-seen The Judge persona.)

The Riddler stands for a second-rate knockoff of the Joker.

DarkArtist
11-17-2010, 10:39 AM
my vote goes to Catwoman and a hot talented actress running around in skin tight black PVC :thumbsup::thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
11-17-2010, 02:41 PM
my vote goes to Catwoman and a hot talented actress running around in skin tight black PVC :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Halle Berry?:D

El Chuxter
11-17-2010, 02:51 PM
I love Catwoman, but I'm not sure she'd work in the "Nolanverse."

I also loathe that stupid costume she wears now, the one with the goggles and zippers.

Besides, we all know (thanks to my spreading unfounded rumors) that Michael Imperioli was cast as the main villain, Louie the Lilac, and they're still trying to find Mad Hatter and the Ventriloquist (though Imperioli's fellow Soprano star Tony Sirico has been cast as the Ventriloquist's puppet, Scarface).

Rocketboy
11-17-2010, 03:37 PM
...and now for a rumor not in Chux's wildest dreams...

Slashfilm posted the rumor that the already cast Tom Hardy may be Dr. Hugo Strange in The Dark Knight Rises. Sounds like a good choice and could keep with the realistic side of the series.

El Chuxter
11-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Hugo Strange... hadn't considered him, but excellent choice.

Qui-Long Gone
11-22-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't think we'll get better than the Joker so why not just have Batman take down the mob instead?

Ra's and Scarecrow played crucial roles in forming Bruce's Batman persona in the first film while the Dark Knight's Joker deconstructed it.

It's clear that in Nolan's universe the villains are extensions of the Batman so what is left? As individual fiends, Ra's, Scarecrow, and the Joker were all important enemies to Bruce's psyche. In contrast, the mob represents a larger societal issue that reflects Gotham, so why bother with more "character" studies?

Beast
11-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Maybe this Batman movie will at least be good. Unlike the last two Nolan Stinkburgers.

Qui-Long Gone
11-22-2010, 02:28 PM
^ Actually, Joel's name is spelled Schumacher, not Nolan. I think you got your directors confused! :razz:

Beast
11-22-2010, 03:01 PM
^ Actually, Joel's name is spelled Schumacher, not Nolan. I think you got your directors confused! :razz:
No, I actually think the Nolan films are worse than the Shumacher ones. But not by much.

Qui-Long Gone
11-22-2010, 04:26 PM
No, I actually think the Nolan films are worse than the Shumacher ones. But not by much.

Again, I think you misspelled best. There is no "w" and you moved the "e" behind the "s", forgot the "t" (or confused it with "e") and added an "or."

Do you have spellcheck?

Tycho
11-29-2010, 03:02 PM
I've got it! Batman faces Tom Cruise who comes to Gotham to avenge Rachael's death (confusing her with his wife).

Cruise will play himself.

No doubt, he will be Batman's most dangerous enemy!

Kenny Loggins will record his new hit single for the soundtrack: "Batcave in the Danger Zone!"

Qui-Long Gone
11-29-2010, 11:00 PM
^The best part will be when Maverick looks at Batman at the end of the movie and says: "You can be my wingman anytime."

Beast
11-29-2010, 11:55 PM
That should be the last line of a proper X-Men: First Class movie. Beast to Iceman. :D

2-1B
12-05-2010, 09:30 PM
What a horrible title for this movie.

Tycho
12-06-2010, 08:51 PM
OK, so there's:

Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises

Everyone would be expecting "The Dark Knight Falls," but what if the 4th movie is "The Dark Knight Does Backflips?"

Everyone would go and see that!

2-1B
12-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight Rises Again

Qui-Long Gone
12-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Post-Bale/Nolan Titles:
The Dark Knight Does Backflips
The Dark Knight and Robin
The Dark Knight Forever

Tycho
12-07-2010, 04:44 PM
And the spin-off:

The Hung-Over Knight.

Qui-Long Gone
01-19-2011, 12:14 PM
God is good all the time, and all the time God is good: Anne Hathaway will erase the cultural memory of Katie Holms once and for all.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/19/anne-hathaway-in-batman-catwoman-in-dark-knight-rises_n_811033.html

Rocketboy
01-19-2011, 02:19 PM
Ugh. Another mediocre actress. If Hathaway ain't showin' her boobs, then I don't care.

Oh, and Tom Hardy will be Bane, not the better rumored choice, Dr. Hugo Strange.

El Chuxter
01-19-2011, 02:26 PM
He must BREAK YOU!

I'm just crossing my fingers he's not a total waste like Two-Face was in TDK.

jonthejedi
01-20-2011, 04:00 AM
Also confirmed is Tom Hardy as Bane.

Rocketboy
01-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Also confirmed is Tom Hardy as Bane.As I said 3 posts ago.

El Chuxter
01-20-2011, 02:47 PM
I heard that some guy named Tom Hardy would be playing Bane. Any truth to that rumor?

DarthBrandon
01-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Is Tom Hardy playing Bane?:razz:

JediTricks
01-20-2011, 05:34 PM
I hear Tom Hardy is in this film, anybody know if that's true and if so, who he's playing?

Both of those choices were, for me, facepalm-level casting. I really hope they can make something of it. Anne Hathaway has the acting chops to carry the difficult nuances, but she acts in a more intimate style usually and Catwoman has always been a bold, extroverted character (even Michelle Pfeiffer was able to get that character loud and brash considering the horrible limitations of the casting and script). Also, her body is a tad lacking in the muscle tone and figure required (she's somewhat slender and soft).

Tom Hardy is a scene-chewer with a somewhat high-voiced British accent. He's too small physically to be the enormous Bane, but he's not a slight man, he's gotten pretty thick, just not what this character is going for. He's also not especially tall. Maybe I just don't think Bane is a character that can be cinematic since his real danger is in his thinking and long-game actions.

Qui-Long Gone
01-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Catwoman has always been a bold, extroverted character

Why? Because that's what many expect? In Nolan's world, characters can have multiple interpretations. Acting isn't about playing types, it's about finding and owning specificity in choices.

JediTricks
01-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Because that's what the character is. Nolan's characters haven't so far gone way off the reservation, they've played true to the core of the ideas. The Nolan characters have used the existing material to breathe life into the movie versions, not get rewritten to fit a whim. Even when they don't use all the visual cues or complex backstories, they still have rung true to the basics of those characters.

Besides, we've already gotten the small, mousey girl turning into Catwoman with Batman Returns, I found it cheap and lazy playing off an already well-worn cliche of the introverted girl being turned, but whether or not you bought it, it was DONE there.

Qui-Long Gone
01-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Because that's what the character is

Only a Sith deals in absolutes....

Just kidding. ;)

I can only offer my perspective as an acting/directing teacher, so we may have to agree to disagree. The phrase "that's what the character is" doesn't work well for those who create characters (i.e. writers, directors, actors) or for those asked to recreate well-known ones too. I have no problem with saying the Catwoman of the the Batman comics is ______ (fill in the blank). But 2D iconic pop characters and live actors are apples and oranges.

Unless of course, you're Lucas and you prefer to manipulate CGI puppets and insist to us that Jar Jar is funny.

I think you are ghosting Pfeiffer's performance of mouse turned cat when you call her portrayal cliche. *Ghosting is a term that means if you grew up seeing Roger Moore as James Bond, you might not like Daniel Craig as 007...and vice versa....ghosting often makes us think we are objective about our ideas of "known" characters or character types when in fact our opinions are preferential and subject to saturated viewings. Mouse turned cat is cliche now, not then. I didn't see it as lazy either. Lazy is when you come to the table and say "that's what the character is."

Of course, I recognize that my perspective is just opinion (and I'm not calling you lazy). I never liked the "dominant" personality Catwoman of the comics, although I did like the femme fetale of the 1960s camp show. I though Pfeiffer made Cats interesting because of her ***ility. But as a theatre nerd, I always prefer the vulnerable performance (which is why Bale has been so stellar).

I doubt Nolan will "go there" with Hathaway and I better understand now everyone's "hang up" with her fragile/naive persona. But I for one thought Heath was the wrong guy for Joker and he's proof that good actors find ways to surprise us.

JimJamBonds
01-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Ugh. Another mediocre actress. If Hathaway ain't showin' her boobs, then I don't care.
I'd put the odds of that happening at 50/50.

JediTricks
01-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Only a Sith deals in absolutes....

Just kidding. ;)

I can only offer my perspective as an acting/directing teacher, so we may have to agree to disagree. The phrase "that's what the character is" doesn't work well for those who create characters (i.e. writers, directors, actors) or for those asked to recreate well-known ones too. I have no problem with saying the Catwoman of the the Batman comics is ______ (fill in the blank). But 2D iconic pop characters and live actors are apples and oranges.By that argument, you should really have no problem with Halle Berry as Catwoman. But of course nobody can go there, because it was change for change's sake that had no kernel of truth to the core of the character.

I think you are ghosting Pfeiffer's performance of mouse turned cat when you call her portrayal cliche. *Ghosting is a term that means if you grew up seeing Roger Moore as James Bond, you might not like Daniel Craig as 007...and vice versa....ghosting often makes us think we are objective about our ideas of "known" characters or character types when in fact our opinions are preferential and subject to saturated viewings. Mouse turned cat is cliche now, not then. I didn't see it as lazy either. Lazy is when you come to the table and say "that's what the character is."

Of course, I recognize that my perspective is just opinion (and I'm not calling you lazy). I never liked the "dominant" personality Catwoman of the comics, although I did like the femme fetale of the 1960s camp show. I though Pfeiffer made Cats interesting because of her ***ility. But as a theatre nerd, I always prefer the vulnerable performance (which is why Bale has been so stellar). I think you're reaching, or projecting. It was cliche then too, not only was it used heavily during fiction in the sexual revolution, but I've seen it as far back as pulp stories from the 1920s and '30s. Catwoman has always had vulnerability in the comics, going back to her earliest incarnations. The difference is that her vulnerability is in who she is now, it's not some cheap Jekyll & Hyde basis for her transformation that the Burtonverse shoehorned in.

I doubt Nolan will "go there" with Hathaway and I better understand now everyone's "hang up" with her fragile/naive persona. But I for one thought Heath was the wrong guy for Joker and he's proof that good actors find ways to surprise us.My only original qualms with Heath was that I thought he was too young.

El Chuxter
01-21-2011, 04:54 PM
I had no problem with Halle Berry as Catwoman. No problem at all. :beard: It was the incredibly crappy movie (by the writers of Transformers!) that sucked.

Halle Berry definitely has the looks to pull off Catwoman, and has proven in plenty of other movies that she has the acting chops and versatility. It'll never happen, but I'd love to see a theoretical film where George Clooney plays Batman, Tommy Lee Jones plays Two-Face, and Halle Berry plays Catwoman, only they actually play them the way they should be played and the movie doesn't suck donkeys. (Honestly, Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face should've been one of the biggest wins in cinematic history.)

Qui-Long Gone
01-21-2011, 07:07 PM
By that argument, you should really have no problem with Halle Berry as Catwoman. But of course nobody can go there, because it was change for change's sake that had no kernel of truth to the core of the character.

What was wrong with Berry's Catwoman? It wasn't the Catwoman of Batman, so what was the problem?

Oh, right. The movie sucked and so did her performance of a character who shared the same name as a well-known Batman character. That's what was wrong.

So your argument above is irrelevant.

By the way, you really need to check up on your history. The 20s and 30s pulp were cliche. Go back further to Elizabethan drama. Then go back even further to the Greeks, the founders of Western drama. You'll find you need to rethink your understanding of "cliche." It's cliche.

2-1B
02-20-2011, 10:11 AM
He must BREAK YOU!

Dolph Lunddgren/Ivan Drago is in this movie? :confused:

I think the titles of these movies will end up as:

Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight Falls
The Dark Knight (part 2)
Batman Ends