PDA

View Full Version : So much for my measured vacation week...

JEDIpartner
10-31-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm off work this week, but my vacation week of just having measured appointments to keep has been turned inside out. I have a job interview with the Cuyahoga County Land Bank on Monday (very nervous... but cautiously hopeful) and squished everything into two days so that I can go visit a dying friend in Nashville. I saw him three weeks ago and he seemed and looked fine. I got word from him on Wednesday that he has pancreatic cancer that's already spread to his organs and he only has 3-4 months to live. :cry: This is going to be the last time I will ever see him. I'm also fighting with my doctor's office and the insurance company over a $1500.00
charge.

*sigh*

So... lots of bad, so I could use a good job interview with some positive results.

Phooey.

bobafrett
11-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Hectic week for you there JP. Sorry to hear about your friends cancer. I found out via radio that a friend of mine had died, so I called the radio station, and found that they were having his wake that day. I got to go pay my last respects to him. Found out he had cancer, and only had found out about 5 months prior.

JimJamBonds
11-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend JP.

Also sorry to hear about the insurance thing, I have a feeling I'll be going through a similar battle in paying for my recent appendectomy.

2-1B
11-07-2010, 09:12 PM
JP, I'm sorry for your friend's cancer. :(
I hope you had some good results with the interview.

JEDIpartner
11-09-2010, 12:13 PM
The visit with Drew was a good one. He didn't have much energy, but we talked and I got to take care of him and take care of some stuff around the house for him. I got him to eat a couple times, which was good. he hadn't been eating for several days due to his stomach being all messed up. The radiation seems to have staunched the flow of blood out of his organs and his counts remained as they were from a couple days prior. He had another appointment yesterday and have to find out how that one turned out. I love being a caretaker, so it really worked out for both of us. I'm still quite sad.

BobaFrett... sorry about your friend! I found out about my friend, Steven, that way. I'd heard reports of two local men having contracted meningitis, but they never mentioned who they were until after Steven's funeral. I never got to say "goodbye" to him. *sigh* I'm feeling you, brother!!

Thanks for all the love, guys!

As for the interview, that seems to have gone well. It was very loose and light and there was a lot of laughing. The interviewers kept saying "Wow... good answer!" to my responses, so that was encouraging. They closed by running down the benefits, vacation time and permitted time off, so that seems to indicate they are interested... or at least were at the time of my interview. They said they'd be doing more interviews throughout the week and then making final decisions on call-backs for a second interview. I think I'd really love to do this job!!! They seem like an awesome organisation and I really believe in what they are doing since I'm such a cheerleader for all things in my hometown. Cuyahoga County Land Bank - Website (http://www.cuyahogalandbank.org/)

Good luck with your insurance battle as well, JJB!! Let me know how things are going with you!!

JimJamBonds
11-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Sounds like you had a good interview. Like you said it sounds like they are interested in you so that is certainly good to hear.
Good luck with your insurance battle as well, JJB!! Let me know how things are going with you!!

Thanks JP, I'm submitting the bill tomorrow so if you don't mind keep fingers/legs/whatever else you can crossed.

JEDIpartner
11-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Sounds like you had a good interview. Like you said it sounds like they are interested in you so that is certainly good to hear.

Thanks JP, I'm submitting the bill tomorrow so if you don't mind keep fingers/legs/whatever else you can crossed.

My IT guy insists I should call them to find out where they are with things. I told him I didn't think it was a good idea to bust in with an inquiry about when they plan on making call-backs for the second interview. I don't exactly know the protocol for second interviews since I've never had one. :ninja:

As for you... good luck with that!! I'm crossing all that can be crossed for you. You don't need this cr*p. These are some of the things that I with the healthcare bill addressed.
:yes:

JimJamBonds
11-11-2010, 12:48 PM
My IT guy insists I should call them to find out where they are with things. I told him I didn't think it was a good idea to bust in with an inquiry about when they plan on making call-backs for the second interview. I don't exactly know the protocol for second interviews since I've never had one. :ninja:
I've never really been comfortable with what to do in that situation. You want to show you are interested but you don't want to seem like an eager beaver either. When I have called its usually just to say something along the lines of "Hi, its Jim Jam Bonds calling :D just wondering how things are going etc etc." A friend of mine has sent a card to the HR person but that seemed like extreme overkill...then again it did create a good image of her...then again she was the person our company wanted to fill that position. (she ended up not getting it because when asked where she thought she'd be in 5 years she did not say "with UPS.")

JEDIpartner
11-12-2010, 01:16 PM
D'oh!!!

So... Drew's been back in hospital again this week. I sent a text to see how he was doing and he told me that he is losing too much blood. I don't think he's going to make it much longer. :(

InsaneJediGirl
11-16-2010, 08:59 PM

I've had second interviews before(for a retail job of all things) and never called to check. It took awhile for the company to get back to me as well. In addition, we had some recent hires where I work and those calling to check on their application/interview were not highly regarded by the HR manager. This could be a manager by manager basis though...

So... Drew's been back in hospital again this week. I sent a text to see how he was doing and he told me that he is losing too much blood. I don't think he's going to make it much longer.

So sorry, Dale :(

JEDIpartner
11-17-2010, 07:33 AM
One of my friends, who is a coach for people seeking employment said it's all right to send an e-mail just to check in.

Drew's back home and resting comfortably. They are talking hospice care now, according to our friend, Gary. His birthday was on Monday. I'm glad he made it to another one.

JimJamBonds
11-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Good to hear your friend is doing alright JP.

JEDIpartner
11-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Holding tight for now... *fingers crossed*

JEDIpartner
11-24-2010, 05:15 PM
*sigh* Bummed out that I didn't get called back for that job I interviewed for. It seemed to have gone so well and it gave me false hope. Oh, well. NEXT! :(

JimJamBonds
11-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Sorry to hear that man, I knew all to well the 'job rejection' feeling this spring/summer. As a buddy of mine would say: "Chin up, trousers down." :D

JEDIpartner
11-24-2010, 11:27 PM
:sleeping:

Thanks, man.

:love:

JEDIpartner
12-02-2010, 09:11 AM
So... just an update: my friend, Drew, died on Tuesday. From what I have read, he had a great weekend and was out and about. I love that the body will sometimes allow us to have that one last shot before it shuts down. I'm glad he got to see his grandkids, go see a movie, have breakfast with his friends and enjoy the holiday weekend before he moved on.

TeeEye7
12-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend, Jp.

DarthQuack
12-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Very sorry about your loss, JP :(

JEDIpartner
12-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks, guys. I'm sad that he's gone, but I'm happy that he didn't linger. Who'd want to? Pancreatic cancer is really painful. A couple weeks ago, when Drew went back in the hospital, I'd said that I would be surprised if he made it much past Thanksgiving. I'm sad that I was right. Still...

:cry: